PDA

View Full Version : The Mohammad Zahid interview

AsifTheManRahman
August 4, 2009, 04:31 PM
A very nice one. I remember watching him clock 150 kph, but wasn't aware that he had unofficially clocked 100 mph on so many occasions. I also found it interesting how he believes flat pitches produce faster, better pace bowlers.

Warning: excruciatingly long.

PakPassion.Net: Are the flat pitches we prepare in Pakistan the main reason for so many of our fast bowlers getting injured?

Mohammad Zahid: It's one of the reasons, nobody would deny that. But then you have to remember that it's because of those same flat pitches that we produce so many express bowlers. In helpful conditions fast bowlers dont need to go all out like they have to on flat tracks, on flat tracks a bowler has to put everything into his bowling and that's one of the reasons why we have so many speedsters. After my test match debut Imran arranged a meeting with me and taught me about how to get the most out of reverse swing. He said that in order to get extravagant reverse swing you have to give the ball as much air as possible because the moment the ball hits a flat Pakistani pitch it kills the swing and movement. He taught me that the longer the ball stays in the air the more it will swing and the harder it will be to play. The reason I mentioned that was because you asked me about flat Pakistani pitches, the only help a fast bowler gets on those pitches is with reverse swing because those pitches rough up the ball very quickly. In order to make the most of reverse swing you need to be able to generate express pace and thats why our pitches produce so many express bowlers. Because our bowlers cant get away with bowling within themselves and letting the conditions do the rest. Our bowlers have to put all their energy into each delivery. Coming back to your question about the causes for injuries, I would say a lack of proper education about fitness is a bigger reason for injuries than flat pitches.
More (http://www.pakpassion.net/articles/pakistan_cricket_mohammad_zahid_100mph_bowler_fast est_ever)

Eshen
August 4, 2009, 08:28 PM
You also have to take in account that role models like Imran and Waqar inspired generations of Pakistanis to take up fast bowling. That's prolly the main reason Pakistanis had developed such a great fast bowling stock but other subcontinental countries did not.

Imteaz
August 4, 2009, 10:30 PM
Nice Interview.

Eshen
August 5, 2009, 12:32 AM
Here is some excellent advice for young pacers -

PakPassion.Net: What's your advice to youngsters who want to bowl fast?

Mohammad Zahid: The best training is repetition, bowl as many overs as you can in the nets and you will reach your optimum speed. Pace is natural, if you have it then practise will help you hone it.

PakPassion.Net: What advice would you give youngsters to help prevent them getting injured?

Mohammad Zahid: I'd give them the advice that I never got when I started playing first class cricket. I wasn't a physically strong person, I had very little muscle on my frame and so my speed wasn't as good as it could've been. Although I was fit enough to run in and bowl at 100mph, the lack of muscle on my frame put too much pressure on body and due to that I became more injury prone. My advice to youngsters would be to stay fit, do lots of bowling in the nets and to keep a regular gym schedule.

PakPassion.Net: I take it you're not talking about body building here?

Mohammad Zahid: (laughs) No, certainly not! Fast bowlers shouldn't be going to the gym to do body building. I'm talking about cardio and strengthening the muscles on your back, legs, arms and shoulders in order to prevent those areas becoming injury prone. As a fast bowler you really need to look after your back, that part of your body is crucial to all fast bowlers. But when you're strengthening your muscles you should be careful not to get bulky because that will make you stiff and restrict either your ability to bowl fast or negatively affect your stamina. I never did any of the above and that's the main reason that I got injured.

BANFAN
August 5, 2009, 03:11 AM
Nice interview. Don't know if our pacers read it.

Imteaz
August 5, 2009, 03:35 AM
Profesional cricketers do not have time to read this. If they have to read it out than why do we keep a coach/trainer by wasting money?

auntu
August 5, 2009, 06:48 AM
Nice interview. Don't know if our pacers read it.
No they don't.

Nafi
August 5, 2009, 09:19 AM
You also have to take in account that role models like Imran and Waqar inspired generations of Pakistanis to take up fast bowling. That's prolly the main reason Pakistanis had developed such a great fast bowling stock but other subcontinental countries did not.

But Pakistan dont really have a fast bowling stock of any note at this time.

AsifTheManRahman
August 5, 2009, 09:57 AM
Profesional cricketers do not have time to read this. If they have to read it out than why do we keep a coach/trainer by wasting money?
It's all about personality and depends on what the individual likes to do in his personal time. Although they have expensive coaches and trainers, it doesn't hurt to read, once in a while. Like Bulbul would do, for example.

AsifTheManRahman
August 5, 2009, 10:01 AM
But Pakistan dont really have a fast bowling stock of any note at this time.
Because now the young bowlers have the STD-struck Shoaib and the banned Asif to look up to.

nizzle
August 5, 2009, 10:05 AM
he said fast bowlers should try top get bulky, problem is say if u do weights (and you constantly build up how many you do a day) how do you try to stay fit and get a good fast bowlers body but not get overly bulky if you carry on doing it day in day out, because you keep building on that muscle

AsifTheManRahman
August 5, 2009, 10:39 AM
he said fast bowlers should try top get bulky, problem is say if u do weights (and you constantly build up how many you do a day) how do you try to stay fit and get a good fast bowlers body but not get overly bulky if you carry on doing it day in day out, because you keep building on that muscle
Just to shizzle your nizzle :)

PakPassion.Net: I take it you're not talking about body building here?

Mohammad Zahid: (laughs) No, certainly not! Fast bowlers shouldn't be going to the gym to do body building. I'm talking about cardio and strengthening the muscles on your back, legs, arms and shoulders in order to prevent those areas becoming injury prone. As a fast bowler you really need to look after your back, that part of your body is crucial to all fast bowlers. But when you're strengthening your muscles you should be careful not to get bulky because that will make you stiff and restrict either your ability to bowl fast or negatively affect your stamina. I never did any of the above and that's the main reason that I got injured.

Nafi
August 5, 2009, 03:20 PM
Because now the young bowlers have the STD-struck Shoaib and the banned Asif to look up to.

Good point :floor:

Shehwar
August 5, 2009, 04:02 PM
Apparently Mohammad Aamir has some potential...

al Furqaan
August 5, 2009, 05:03 PM
interesting to note that wasim and waqar were selfish and only looked out for themselves. shameful stuff.

interestingly, jeff thomson claims ot have been the fastest bowler of all time as well. says he would be bowling at 180 k...

Ashfaq
August 5, 2009, 05:16 PM
Good read. Zahid sounds like a bitter oldman refusing to let the past go. Can't say I blame him. If what he says is true, then he's very unfortunate. Ramiz might have cost Pakistan a very good post ww paceman.

Gowza
August 5, 2009, 05:44 PM

it's all about how you train, besides it's very difficult to put on muscle even if your aim is to put on muscle.

uss01
August 5, 2009, 06:46 PM
It's all about bowling more and more and also resting.Resting is most important for not getting injured. The reason Mashrafe has dropped his pace and keeps getting injured is he's overbowled. So in the end he's not getting stronger and only getting fatter and injured. There is nothing wrong in having a rotation policy for our fast bowlers like Mash, where if Mash plays in one game the next game some other bowler plays, etc. Or he can be restricted to test matches only.

Eshen
August 5, 2009, 07:38 PM
I don't think Mashrafe has any weight problem. His problem is that he has not developed good endurance - that's why he generally does so poorly in Test cricket and gets injured so often.

Eshen
August 5, 2009, 08:00 PM
I find it funny though that Zahid drunk coffee all night before his debut match. He should have died of dehydration in that match, unless he is exaggerating his story :)

Sohel
August 6, 2009, 04:30 AM
Good dig and thank you for it.

Solid grasp and application of biomechanics is the key to fast bowling because of the run up. Look at a skinny guy like Mohammad Sami for example. MoSa used to bowl at 150kmph during his peak. I don't think Shoaib Akhter got any quicker after bulking up. He also bowled a few 160kmph deliveries before that.

Additional bulk helps some baseball pitchers, Roger Clemens is a good example, because they pitch from the mound without a run up. But finesse guys like Sandy Koufax also had 100mph pitches in their repertoire and never needed to bulk up.

Imteaz
August 6, 2009, 04:46 AM
It's all about personality and depends on what the individual likes to do in his personal time. Although they have expensive coaches and trainers, it doesn't hurt to read, once in a while. Like Bulbul would do, for example.

Definitely. But we cannot blame cricketers if they don't read. It is the matter of habituation of reading books. Not everyone of us have got reading habit.

Gowza
August 6, 2009, 04:51 AM
a great thing for players to do is to ask players who have been there i.e. ex-cricketers and current ones.

uss01
August 6, 2009, 08:57 AM
I disagree he actually has a mini Akram Khan like belly. His injury problems are always related to his knee. Overusage of his knee. So he has to rest accordingly. Remember, his knees were operated on atleast 3 times, if not more.

I don't think Mashrafe has any weight problem. His problem is that he has not developed good endurance - that's why he generally does so poorly in Test cricket and gets injured so often.

AsifTheManRahman
August 6, 2009, 10:30 AM
I like the arrogance. My view of what fast bowlers should be like has always been something in the lines of Harry Pearson's (from the Guardian):

Lee seems a nice and amiable lad and is doubtless popular with mums, it's just I'm not sure if that's what you really want from a strike bowler. Fast bowlers need to be crazed and angry.
Australians are just not hairy enough (http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/blog/2009/jul/24/ashes-australia-swearing-hairiness)

Nothing against Lee (in fact he's my favorite), but a guy who sings love songs at the Simi Garewal show doesn't quite fit my idea of a quickie. I guess that's what makes him such a cool guy, with the smiles - instead of the countless recounts of how he'd spent the previous night with the batsman's WoG - after he's sent down a scorching bouncer and all.