PDA

View Full Version : Name ONE of your childhood cricket hero

Navarene
December 30, 2003, 04:25 AM
I was curious as to who all of you consider as your childhood cricketing hero, or mentor. It can only be ONE, yes ONE person from any generation. The key is to choose ONE person and give a brief overview as to why this person inspired you.

Here is mine : Viv Richards - don't think I have to say much but the most devestating batsman I have seen.

Lara definitely defined domination, but Richards added class and elegance to domination. Big difference.

James90
December 30, 2003, 08:13 AM
Earlier on when I was getting accustomed to the game it was Michael Slater but over the last couple of years it's been Ricky for sure

James90
December 30, 2003, 08:41 AM
I first started following cricket in the 95/96 summer when SL and Pakistan came over...the one test that changed my whole outlook of cricket was at the WACA...there was a Michael Slater buttercup cricket card competition...get 3 of his cards and you can win a trip to Bali...i got one of his card and was like...is this guy any good...just then he smashed a massive six and that was the defining moment in my cricket career...Slater went on to hit 219, Law hit 54* in his only test and Ponting on debut hit 97 unfairly given "LBW" off Vaas. I'm suprised I can remember all this...after all I was only 5!

Navarene
December 30, 2003, 09:16 AM
What a sharp memory, mate! By the way, I heard that slater is in bed sick? Sorry for this poor chap. I pray for his quick recovery, even though I doubt if he will bounce back to regular Aussie XI soon.

Arnab
December 30, 2003, 05:53 PM
Lara definitely defined domination, but Richards added class and elegance to domination. Big difference.

Viv defined domination with nonchalant arrogance.

Lara defined destruction with class and elegance.

----------------

My childhood hero was Imran Khan.

My favorite players over the years are:

Dean Jones
Jonty Rhodes
Ricky Ponting
Daryl Cullinan
Rahul Dravid
Shane Warne
Damien Martyn
Wasim Akram
Brain Lara
Mark Waugh
Early Darren Gaugh before all the injuries

reinausagi
December 31, 2003, 01:08 AM
M.A.K. Pataudi. Fading light, batting with one eye, protecting the tailenders by hogging the strike against the pacemen. That's captaincy- not our beloved Gadha, with a Napoleonic complex to boot.

chinaman
December 31, 2003, 01:35 AM
Ikram from Mojumdari. He made me love cricket.

mona
December 31, 2003, 03:54 AM
Wasim Akram!
because he's left-handed like me and his (fake) birthday's the same as mine! well that was my childhood reason anyway..

Orpheus
December 31, 2003, 05:10 AM
I don't have a child hood cricket hero :(

Hasib
December 31, 2003, 09:59 PM
Mine is Mark Waugh (the dropped him just coz of one stupid series!!!)

fab
January 1, 2004, 06:50 PM
Childhood heroes..

Imran Khan
Viv Richards
Curtly Ambrose

But my all time hero will always be Steve Waugh

ChrisM
January 13, 2004, 09:27 AM
Geoffrey Boycott

Great commentator too- even though he was very good, he never does the "it was better in my day" bull****

[Edited on 1-13-2004 by chinaman : Moderation]

Mahmood
January 13, 2004, 09:47 AM
Mine was Imran Khan. Watching him I learned how deep mind game Cricket is. Still now, I consider him the best ODI captain ever.

bd_cricket
January 13, 2004, 11:48 AM
In BD Cricket definitely Yousuf Babu

Beamer
January 13, 2004, 11:53 AM
Viv Richards
Dean Jones
Ian Botham
Martin crowe
Joel garner

James90
January 13, 2004, 07:44 PM
Previously:
Michael Slater
Ricky Ponting
Mark Waugh
Daren Ganga (Had a horrible series but i really like him for some reason)
Lance Klusener (Had the ability to turn the match on it's head)

Now:
Ricky Ponting
Michael Slater
Matthew Hayden
Michael Clarke
Martin Love
Rahul Dravid
Habib-ul-Bashar

Navarene
January 13, 2004, 08:20 PM
Hi Habibul_fan! What happened to Slater? Is he seriously ill? One of the wonderful openers I've seen.

James90
January 14, 2004, 05:57 AM
Had some thing with ankle swelling that he couldn't walk but i saw him at Steve Waugh's farewell party so he's out of hospital and walking again...hope for a quick return

rafiq
January 16, 2004, 11:49 PM
Wouldn't normally have a lot to add to these "favorites" threads, but have to when I don't see one single person here name the man who had to face bowlers Viv Richards never did: Sunil Gavaskar, anyone?

On the Pak team from that era, definitely liked Zaheer Abbas and Imran Khan.

chinaman
January 17, 2004, 12:06 AM
Ahh. Those days! Those noisy radio days!

rafiq
January 17, 2004, 12:30 AM
Damn straight! Nothing better than an India-Pakistan tussle or a India-West Indies slugfest on the static filled airwaves? I forget all the commentators from that era, but those guys were great, too!

Sami
January 17, 2004, 06:04 AM
Wasim Akram... This bowler inspired me a lot... There were a whole lot of other great bowlers to have graced the world of cricket... but he is the best in my book... He was the one who inspired me to be a bowler instead of being a batsman which I started out as....

And later Aravinda De silva... His batting was a joy to watch and I always tried playing like him... (wasnt that successful if I might add)...;) His exquisite shots... WOW!

Tehsin
January 19, 2004, 12:11 PM
Imran Khan, Viv Richards, Richardson (he wasn't great but...), Hadlee, Gavaskar, Wasim Akram.

IN BD, even though I DIDN'T GET TO SEE MUCH OF THEM, I was supporting the following -
Nannu, Akram, Novel, Badsha (same school).

Later on - Bulbul, Athar, Shanto (his first 2/3 years),

Now - Sumon, Pilot & Golla (true grit - little form).

Navarene
January 19, 2004, 12:14 PM
In my childhood, Yousuf Babu was my domestic hero!

Sami
January 20, 2004, 12:58 AM
Athar Ali Khan... have to name him as one of the BD players who inspired me...

Aminul Islam, Nannu, Jahangir Shah badshah were few others... and shanto (i was totally stunned by his bowling action initially but as I grew up I realised he really is a stupid bowler and has practically very little pace, so i guess he was a pseudo-hero)...

** dunno if pseudo-hero is a proper way to state it... :duh: oh well!!!

My 400th post, WOW :D

[Edited on 20-1-2004 by radicalsami]

Hasib
January 21, 2004, 03:17 AM
Who was Bangladesh's first captain... when we became associates?

Navarene
January 21, 2004, 03:39 AM
Shamim Ahmed? not sure though..