PDA

View Full Version : Australian coaching on decline ?

Eshen
August 19, 2009, 03:33 AM
Australian coaching on decline ? (http://www.cricdb.com/archive/international/news/detail.php?nid=2132)

Bipin Dani

John Dyson has preferred to keep mum over his sacking as West Indies coach, however he has shown his willingness to coach in IPL. "I don't want to discuss anything about my stint with the West Indies cricket team at this time", the Australian coach said over telephone from his Sydney home. However, he added, "naturally I am keen to be associated with any team in the IPL next season. If the opportunity comes, I shall certainly grab it with both hands".

Dyson, 54, who also coached Sri Lanka team, follows in the footsteps of another Australian coach Bennett King. It was little surprise when King stepped down as WI coach after the side's disappointing World Cup campaign in 2007.

In last two years Greg Chappell (India), Geoff Lawson (Pakistan) and John Buchanan (KKR) are the other examples of Australian coaches who have been asked to step down before the expiry of their terms.

Is the standard of Australian team and coaching on decline ?

Jamie Siddons does not believe it. "Every coach in every position has his own set of circumstances and so must be treated as an individual case," Jamie Siddons, one the surviving Australian coaches with the national team (Bangladesh) said exclusively from Zimbabwe.

"Australia still has the best Domestic competition in the world and also a very good coach education structure and therefore a coach that has come through that system should be very capable of doing a job if the job fits," he further added.

"A cricket Board must match your coach and his particular skills with the needs of the team at the time. It has no relevance as to where the coach comes from," Siddons signed off.

The other surviving Australian coach to the national team is Trevor Bayliss (Sri Lanka). Dav Whatmore, Sri Lankan born, Australian coach is attached with BCCI's National Cricket Academy.

© Cricdb

Akib
August 19, 2009, 09:50 AM
Well there seems to be more Australian coaches than other nationalities, thus there would be more firings...

Tigers_eye
August 19, 2009, 09:56 AM
Bipin Dani has his/her own agenda. Dyson should have not been fired. He had no time to prepare with that team. We will see how the replacement team do against Australia and in the champions trophy. Expecting to beat Bangadesh just because they are WIndians with glorious history is wrong. Under the new leadership BD is totally a different team.

Eshen
August 19, 2009, 11:57 AM
Dyson or WICB is not clearing why exactly Dyson has been sacked, so can't comment on that. But Chappell, Lawson, and Buchanan left big messes behind when they were fired. All three coaches perceived senior players in teams they took charge as threats to their dominance over those teams, and started creating conflicts in those teams trying to neutralize those seniors.

In Siddons' case, he avoided conflicts with senior players as BCB already did its part to force Pilot and Rafique into retirements, and Bashar and JO could not perform to keep their places in the team.

BANFAN
August 20, 2009, 05:19 AM
One common problem the Australian coaches are facing; failure/unwilling to understand and adjusting to the local culture/conditions. Greg, Ian, JS, Bucanan are all in that category. Is IMO the biggest obstruction to their success. They fail to motivate the guys to give their best and getting them united as a team. I don't think they have shortage of cricketing knowledge; but as they say, cricket is 90 mental game; that's where they fail in rest of the world.

Don't know much about Dyson yet; but for the same reason I mentioned above; you will always find a lack of motivation & team espirit in every place they go for coaching. Pak, WI, Ind, BD (Until Sujon) all had the same problem under the ausies.

One World
September 1, 2009, 07:56 AM
Now Buchanan has questioned the quality of Nielsen and it seems the later just admitted his incapability of doing things in the right order.

Nielsen began his tenure as coach successfully, with series wins over India and West Indies in the early part of 2008. But, since then, Australia's record has been mixed. While they won against New Zealand at home and against South Africa away, they were defeated by India in the return series, experienced their first series loss at home in 16 years when they were beaten 2-1 by South Africa, and lost the Ashes.

Buchanan was also criticising Nielsen for not doing his part during Ashes. "We've lost two series in a row there now and even though we've got computer information on the opposition, we're probably not scouting as well as we could," he said.