PDA

View Full Version : Australia too white?

AsifTheManRahman
August 26, 2009, 11:40 AM
An interesting article by Michael Jeh, an immigrant himself. He investigates why Australia doesn't have enough colored players compared to other predominantly white nations.

What's with the lack of ethnic players in Australia?
<table align="center" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="480"> <tbody><tr><td width="10"> http://img.cricinfo.com/spacer.gif
</td> <td class="photo"> http://blogs.cricinfo.com/inline/content/image/419895.jpg?alt=3
</td></tr></tbody></table> In an interesting, perhaps even slightly provocative article today, the Sydney Morning Herald (http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2009/08/24/1251001857688.html) raised the issue of whether the Australian cricket team is “too white”. I hesitated before deciding to writing this piece because I realise it is likely to engender polarised opinions that sometimes descend into unnecessary nationalistic vitriol that moves away from the original debate. I’m hoping that this time, the comments that inevitably flow will avoid the usual temptations to take an entrenched ethnic stance and view it instead as a friendly chat over the neighbour’s wall.

More (http://blogs.cricinfo.com/diffstrokes/archives/2009/08/whats_with_the_lack_of_ethnic.php#more)
The original article that prompted this one (http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2009/08/24/1251001857688.html)

Eshen
August 26, 2009, 04:00 PM
Well, I guess we are not going to see any Monty Panesar, Adil Rashid, or Jeetan Patel for Australia anytime soon. It's their lose.

Raj Natarajan, president of the India Sports Club and coach says. "The talent is there. Lots of young kids from India and Sri Lanka play at grade level but after that we don't see them because they are not given the same encouragement and training as an Anglo-Saxon kids."

AsifTheManRahman
August 26, 2009, 04:02 PM
Not necessarily their "loss". They just have better white players - that's all. As the author mentions, he just wasn't good enough - his color had nothing to do with him not making it up the ranks.

AsifTheManRahman
August 26, 2009, 04:14 PM
For example, the vice captain of the women's team is of Indian origin:
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/9N-8efDUQTU&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/9N-8efDUQTU&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Eshen
August 26, 2009, 04:17 PM
Don't know Asif bhai, something just don't fit right. Australia does not have any shortage of boys of subcontinental origin, although not as many as England does. Yet it's a big news when Usman Khawaja makes into a state team.

Although, to be fair, most of the Australian club and state captains prolly don't know how to use a spinner (something that subcontinental players have natural talent for) properly, thus spinners are not valued there.

Fazal
August 26, 2009, 04:25 PM
Australia too white?
Not at all until they look really like this....

http://www.simplyinstrumental.com/journals/images/sunscreen.jpg

battye
August 28, 2009, 02:00 AM
Australia is a predominantly white country, hence the cricket team is also white.

There is no ulterior motive, if someone of non-European descent is good enough they will make the team. Jason Gillespie was part Aboriginal, and he was a regular in the Test team up until only a few years ago.

Eshen
August 28, 2009, 02:59 AM
Australia is a predominantly white country, hence the cricket team is also white.

According to CIA factbook, Australian population is not any more white dominant than UK population is. 7% of Australian population is made of Asian origins, and a good number of them come from India, Pakistan, and Sri Lanka! However, while it's common to see one or two Asians in every English county team nowadays, I so far heard of only one Asian-Australian FC cricketer - Usman Khawaja. Once again, there is something wrong with this picture.

BangladeshFan
August 28, 2009, 05:27 AM
the english immigrants have been living there mostly for several generations, whereas australian immigrants are mostly from this generation. i guess we will see more people of asian origin in australian team after 15-20 years.

One World
August 28, 2009, 06:33 AM
For RSA or Zim it is OK, and now for Aussies its not.
Criticism should follow newton's law.

Abid_Khan
August 28, 2009, 06:45 AM
I'll be the 1st coloured guy to play for OZ!!! (Im no way near good enough, got more emphasis on academics)

AsifTheManRahman
August 28, 2009, 11:46 AM
I'll be the 1st coloured guy to play for OZ!!! (Im no way near good enough, got more emphasis on academics)
And on debut you will be bowled mercilessly by Nafis in the first inning and Nafi in the second, which will bring about a premature end to an otherwise promising Test career.

Eshen
August 28, 2009, 04:47 PM
For RSA or Zim it is OK, and now for Aussies its not.
Criticism should follow newton's law.
???????

Both RSA and Zim have plenty of colored cricketers.

Gowza
August 28, 2009, 04:51 PM
there was a coloured guy who played for WA a couple of years back, last name was gilles or close to that. true there aren't many coloured guys in the state teams, but remember there are only 6 teams, england has a lot more than 6 teams to fill.

also in the last couple of years the australian stat sides have been chasing coloured players, south australia had younis khan and tanvir last season and they've been chasing some of the sri lankan's for the t20s (murali, malinga).

also recently there was a highly rated guy playing in the aussie u19 side. colour shouldn't matter, teams should just field the best team they can. if people are being kept out of teams just because of their colour then i think that's a problem, but if someone else is just better then there shouldn't be an issue imo.

bujhee kom
August 28, 2009, 05:44 PM
As Asif bhai already poited out Lisa Sthalekar

http://www.cricinfo.com/inline/content/image/393557.html?alt=1

Lisa Carprini Sthalekar

Australia Full name Lisa Carprini Sthalekar

Born August 13, 1979, Poona (now Pune), Maharashtra, India

Current age 30 years 15 days

Major teams Australia Women, New South Wales Women

Batting style Right-hand bat

Bowling style Right-arm offbreak
Batting | Bowling | Career statistics | Profile | Notes | Latest Articles | Latest Photos
Batting and fielding averages Mat Inns NO Runs HS Ave BF SR 100 50 4s 6s Ct St
Tests 7 13 1 406 120* 33.83 1118 36.31 1 2 35 0 3 0
ODIs 93 86 18 2346 104* 34.50 2 15 30 0
T20Is 14 14 3 232 46 21.09 223 104.03 0 0 24 0 4 0

Bowling averages Mat Inns Balls Runs Wkts BBI BBM Ave Econ SR 4w 5w 10
Tests 7 14 1469 425 21 5/30 6/114 20.23 1.73 69.9 0 1 0
ODIs 93 91 4217 2591 100 4/20 4/20 25.91 3.68 42.1 1 0 0
T20Is 14 14 302 283 18 3/11 3/11 15.72 5.62 16.7 0 0 0

Career statistics Test debut Australia Women v England Women at Brisbane, Feb 15-17, 2003 scorecard
Last Test England Women v Australia Women at Worcester, Jul 10-13, 2009 scorecard
Test statistics - Statsguru Test analysis - Player analysis menu/filter Test match list --------------------------------- Batting career summary Batting innings list High scores Batting series averages --------------------------------- Bowling career summary Bowling innings list Bowling match list Best innings bowling Best match bowling Bowling series averages --------------------------------- Fielding career summary Fielding innings list Most catches in an innings Fielding series statistics
ODI debut England Women v Australia Women at Derby, Jun 29, 2001 scorecard
Last ODI England Women v Australia Women at Lord's, Jul 7, 2009 scorecard
ODI statistics - Statsguru ODI analysis - Player analysis menu/filter ODI match list --------------------------------- Batting career summary Batting innings list High scores Batting series averages --------------------------------- Bowling career summary Bowling innings list Best innings bowling Bowling series averages --------------------------------- Fielding career summary Fielding innings list Most catches in an innings Fielding series statistics
T20I debut England Women v Australia Women at Taunton, Sep 2, 2005 scorecard
Last T20I England Women v Australia Women at The Oval, Jun 19, 2009 scorecard
T20I statistics - Statsguru T20I analysis - Player analysis menu/filter T20I match list --------------------------------- Batting career summary Batting innings list High scores Batting series averages --------------------------------- Bowling career summary Bowling innings list Best innings bowling Bowling series averages --------------------------------- Fielding career summary Fielding innings list Most catches in an innings Fielding series statistics

Profile A flamboyant all-rounder, Sthalekar is a hard hitting batsman and bowls offspin. Born in India, she plays for New South Wales and scored her maiden Test hundred against England in 2003. She also averages under twenty with the ball in Test cricket. Sthalekar has enjoyed a satisfying run of form in recent times, including a half-century against India in the 2006 Test at the Adelaide Oval where she also took her career-best, 5 for 30, in the second innings as Australia won by an innings and four runs. In the 2006-07 season she guided the New South Wales Breakers to their ninth Women's National Cricket League title in 11 years scoring 83 in the final. In February 2007, Sthalekar, now the vice-captain of Australia, won the Women's International Cricketer of the Year for Australia, edging out Karen Rolton, the captain, by one vote. And she was up for a further honour, too, being shortlisted for the ICC Women's Player of the Year in 2007, which was won in its first year, by Rolton.
Cricinfo Staff September 2007

Notes Club: Gordon
ICC Women's Cricketer of the Year 2006
Women's International Cricketer of the Year - 2008

http://www.cricinfo.com/ci/content/player/53461.html

bossman111
August 30, 2009, 08:37 AM
What a joke of an article. This guy clearly has some sort of agenda. The truth is that none have been good enough. There is no prejudice in the aussie system what so ever, you score runs and take wickets, you will get a chance.

AsifTheManRahman
August 30, 2009, 11:01 AM
What a joke of an article. This guy clearly has some sort of agenda. The truth is that none have been good enough. There is no prejudice in the aussie system what so ever, you score runs and take wickets, you will get a chance.
Not a joke at all, actually. In fact the author speaks along the same lines as you have - he concedes he was never good enough and that selection decisions in Australia are hardly racially motivated. His was merely a response to the Sydney Morning Herald article.

magic boy
August 30, 2009, 11:19 AM
If Australia is too white then what about ours? I mean Bangladesh Cricket? .....too brown? :P

Eshen
August 30, 2009, 06:55 PM
If Australia is too white then what about ours? I mean Bangladesh Cricket? .....too brown? :P
We can't help that, can we? White people are not motivated to migrate to Bangladesh.

Only immigrant community in Bangladesh are called "Bihari" - people that migrated from different parts of India during India-Pakistan partition. That community is well represented in Bangladesh cricket by cricketers such as Atahar Ali, Javed Omar, Akram Khan and his two nephews Nafees and Tamim Iqbal.

bujhee kom
August 30, 2009, 08:42 PM
Are there any aborigines 1st class cricketers in Australia?

nzfan
August 30, 2009, 09:29 PM
Are there any aborigines 1st class cricketers in Australia?

Jason Gillespie apparently is part aboriginie.... lol no jokes

Gowza
August 31, 2009, 01:32 AM
there could be a handful who have aborigine in them but i don't think there are any full aborigines in aussie FC cricket atm (i could easily be missing someone as i don't know the face of every FC player atm). however they have aborigine cricket tournaments (the Imparja Cup) and there was an aboriginal team that went on tour somewhere recently.

bujhee kom
August 31, 2009, 01:55 AM
Thanks nz and gowza for the info! Cool brothers!

nz bro, are there any Maori first class cricketers playing in NZ?

nzfan
August 31, 2009, 02:38 AM
Theres a small amount

I mean Adam Parore,heath davis, anaru kitchen others I have forgotten

more Indians than maoris really

AsifTheManRahman
September 8, 2009, 10:28 AM
Well well, now here's a pretty ridiculous article on the diversity in English cricket:

http://www.cricinfo.com/magazine/content/story/422153.html

...and a response:

http://blogs.cricinfo.com/inbox/archives/2009/09/of_settlers_and_sons.php#more

brockley
September 8, 2009, 07:53 PM
Could really go into detail.
Best players chosen for oz.
Usman khawajah the only ethnic player worth writing about at the moment in mens cricket.
You do have michael klinger jewish played for australia A last year.
But nly these ,khawajah is too green at the moment,let him score 1,000 state runs first in a season,then maybe start talking about him.
Aboriginals rather play the football codes.
Many ethnic groups take no interest in playing serious cricket,except the sub continents its in their blood.

raf-stah
September 13, 2009, 01:37 AM
wen u say players are predominantly jewish or ethnic...they are that only by name. u wudnt tell the difference between them n any other white aussie. i met them. i know.

one of my frends played wit moises henriques in the nsw grade teams. my frends south african/indian. i can guarantee u he'l thrash moises anyday. which isnt a surprise. cricket australia n all its goveerning bodies will only pik players that will represent australia and its white culture. if they have a choice between a indian n aussie, even if the indian is better than the aussie, the aussie will get pikd.

i can go on bout more cases. but we all know..or atleast i know in a racist country...this is no surprise.

brockley
September 13, 2009, 08:24 PM
Raf there are no sub continentals up to apart from khawajah they don't have the grade results.
You don't want quotas do you.
You are talking b/s raf,are you in australia,i follow grade,domestic closely.
Yes moises is picked on potential,but he has it,don't you give him credit from a portuguese background too that is ethnic.He is an ethnic cricketer.
I am happy to have a informed debate,but name who,who is knocking down the doors to be picked.
Another allrounder grant lambert,you think some of these sub cons are better grade players than him,he has good numbers in grade cricket ,infact he opens for his club/.
Think you are clueless.
If there we're good enough sub cons they would be in the side.
1 note kumar sarnia may have been good enough over time,but he turned his back on aussie cricket and went to india,his numbers tho in grade and 2ndxl cricket poor,lack of 100's.

raf-stah
September 13, 2009, 09:31 PM
obviously ul get some from the other spectrum. i know lot more indians n a bangali too that play in higher grades, and they dont get picked for NSW sides, eventhough they been ripping batting line ups. I only know of one punjabi thats made his way up. rest are being held back.

im just saying, aussies arent as open as the english.

n yes im in sydney

brockley
September 14, 2009, 05:40 AM
NSW has a strong line up.
For the first game jaques,hughes,katich,thornley,khawajah,henriques or steve smith,d smith,casson,clark,cockley,bollinger,12 th man m cameron.
Who would you drop for a sub continental grade player who can't even make the 2nd xl squad,name their names please.
I live in wollongong and am a blues supporter.
I am intrigued.
Beadle not consistent enough over a number of years,lamberts a much better allrounder.
Please.

brockley
September 14, 2009, 05:47 AM
xxxx

raf-stah
September 14, 2009, 06:22 AM
ali rizwan
raza rizwan
varpreet somthing
gagan or somthn somthing
shariful

thers half a team for u

brockley
September 14, 2009, 07:15 AM
Who the hell are they,how come i've never heard of them before.
Do they even play first grade?
Aileen beadle i know don't these other names who the hell haven't even seen their names in colt cricket under 19's under 17's.
Did you make them up.
What we're their averages in grade last year.
Have an idea who dominated last year,only sub con player who had a decent season ave wise is ailheen beadle.
And there are 4/5 ahead of him.
I really think you are scraping the bottom of the barrel they are no names.
But will keep an eye out for them in grade this year.
Too be honest there are not many sub cons even playing sydney first grade.I would guess the majority of those would be 2nd or 3rd grade.
If you said ailheen beadle i'd say maybe another good year,maybe 2nd xl cricket but these guys major no names.

raf-stah
September 14, 2009, 08:27 AM
bro these guys are gunning it. dnt say im making up bs man. i went to school wit some of these guys. varpreet even went bak to india to play in ranji trophy cos he cudnt get a spot here.

my point isnt that aust are more racist or wateva. im just saying theyr not as open as they can be to people of other races wen they have equal skill n ability to all other aussie kids.

u n i can debate forever bout selection n stuff...but im sure thers lots of inside bs goin on

brockley
September 14, 2009, 08:43 AM
Sorry genuinely don't know them.
I know kumar sarnia went back to india but victoria c'mon they made all 3 finals last season.
NSW pretty strong hard to get into at the moment.
Will look out for them tho,on your word.
Think NSW has a chance with their team to win all 3 comps.
Brett lee available most the season.
REally new south wales and victoria hard to crack a spot.
Even usman khawajah could admit his first half of the season was bad,2nd half illumininating.
I guess states do have their project players as does the australia side,when i mean project players i mean players of great promise,reason moises henriues has got as many games as he has is he is a project player.
Another project player is callam fergurson but he is averaging 55 in one day internationals.

RazabQ
September 15, 2009, 04:28 AM
I think there's probably some bias - it's natural and almost unavoidable - but the primary reason is most likely one of sheer numbers. With only 6 FC sides, it's ridiculously hard to break into any Aussie state team or the nats. Think of how long a Michael Hussey or Simon Katich had to wait to play for the Baggie Greens. While nature of pitches also has a role, I do believe that we will need a brown player to consistently knock on the door for a few seasons to be able to break through.

Eshen
September 15, 2009, 04:53 AM
At this point, I am not bothering to think why there is no brown skin in Aussie team. Those guys are not getting enough opportunities even at grade cricket!

brockley
September 15, 2009, 08:36 AM
Khawajah needs a 1000 runs season before you can take him seriously for an aussie spot.

brockley
September 15, 2009, 09:07 AM
Do not know the ins and outs of grade cricket.
Just follow the scores thats all.
The majority of sub continetntal players play in sydney and melbourne,and these are the 2 strongest states,hard to crack into.

kalpurush
September 17, 2009, 08:54 PM
Not necessarily their "loss". They just have better white players - that's all. As the author mentions, he just wasn't good enough - his color had nothing to do with him not making it up the ranks.
Raj Natarajan, president of the India Sports Club and coach says. "The talent is there. Lots of young kids from India and Sri Lanka play at grade level but after that we don't see them because they are not given the same encouragement and training as an Anglo-Saxon kids."
:saint::notworthy:

_Habib_
September 18, 2009, 10:20 PM
Theres a small amount

I mean Adam Parore,heath davis, anaru kitchen others I have forgotten

more Indians than maoris really

Isn't Ross Taylor part maori?

brockley
September 19, 2009, 08:56 AM
Cmon jason gillespie,julian wiener,dave whatmore and andrew symmonds played for australia,why you complaining.
Getting into the australian side is tough work.
usman khawajah has a lot of work ahead of him,and i am a fan and biased he plays for my team.
Been many ethnic cricketers play first class cricket malcolm francke srilankan,1 could go on.
BTW ross taylor samoan.

AsifTheManRahman
September 21, 2009, 01:45 PM
Speaking of opportunity and players of color, here's another Saffer who gave up on the controversial system in his homeland and traveled to make a living in England. Today, he's tipped to become the next KP.

http://www.cricinfo.com/magazine/content/story/425603.html

AsifTheManRahman
September 21, 2009, 02:09 PM
Well well, now here's a pretty ridiculous article on the diversity in English cricket:

http://www.cricinfo.com/magazine/content/story/422153.html

Lookie what we got here:

It’s over. Everyone is sick and tired of the West Indians. South Africa ought to withdraw its invitation to take part in the Champion’s Trophy. Let Ireland come instead — at least they want to play.Source (http://www.witness.co.za/index.php?showcontent&global%5B_id%5D=27924)

I have left a comment giving him a piece of my mind, hoping they'll publish it.

brockley
September 21, 2009, 11:07 PM
S africa has too many quotas in their system domestically.
2nd the rate at which england steals players is scary.
On the aussie/white debate good to see a few subcons in the sydney gradings this year hope they do well.

brockley
September 23, 2009, 10:32 AM
http://mycricket.cricket.com.au/pages/StatsReport.aspx?entityid=25
Might be a useful site checking out sub con players in australia,grade database.

Alien
September 28, 2009, 05:59 AM
There are quite a few players that might be categorised as somewhat "coloured". There is Stuart Clarke whose parents are half Indian, Gillespie has aboriginal background, Symond's is from somewhere in WI.

Australia is multicultural but not as much as UK. Most migrant groups like Italians, Greek are more into soccer and rugby than cricket. Migrants from countries that are into Cricket like India BD Sri lanka are recent migrants, vast majority of them are at least.

It has nothing to do with race. Sports here has and always been competitive, and you cant keep someone in team for the sake of having few "coloured" players. Its about ability and if you have 7 white players and 3 "coloured" players vying for a spot, then the coloured guys chances are 3/10, a signifcantly low number. Thats assuming they have the same level of talent regardless of race.

nahaz
October 1, 2009, 04:57 PM
1.Australia doesn't really have any sub-continentl player I know of that is talented enuf to get in in the near future, other than Usman Khawaja. At the top level, they'd usually pick based on qualifications. If Mike Hussey was coloured, I can just imagine your reactions.

2. At the grass-roots level tho, there is an issue in some clubs and areas.I know one grade team that looks at sub-continental players in a different way. This was told to me, among others, by some ex-players of the club when I asked about my chances of playing for that club. Mind you, there are one or two Sydney clubs (Parra/Blacktown)that seem to have an unusually high no. of sub-continent/coloured players.

Culture is an important part of cricket clubs here, and if you're indian/bangladeshi and not very outgoing, others might feel a bit uncomfortable around you. By and large, that's not racism. Tho some would insist u drink with them. Easy solution is to make efforts to be social with every one...not just the other indian in the team.

3. Reason I talked about sub-continental players is coz I believe that is what was in all your minds.

brockley
October 1, 2009, 05:33 PM
Yes their maybe problems with some clubs know of one in sydney.
But all in all the domestic system in australia is sound,if you have the goods then you can make it.
Think there is too much pressure on usman khawajah to succeed like dave warner,high expections out of whack.
Usman really is only a pup,give him time to find his legs in domestic cricket.
As for all the 6 other states there is no sub con player knocking on the door ,or even close.
You will just have to bide your time and be patient.
There was subcon player kumar sarnia but he had IPL in his eyes and moved back to india,its a case of where is he now.

AsifTheManRahman
October 6, 2009, 10:19 AM
Turning the table, would any of the South Asian countries let someone of Anglo decent play for them? Well, lookie what I found: http://www.cricinfo.com/pakistan/content/player/42673.html

Some more details here: http://www.cricinfo.com/magazine/content/story/428385.html

One World
October 6, 2009, 10:44 AM
Good find.

brockley
October 6, 2009, 07:10 PM
Asif bigger problem is associate countries and indiginous players.
Canadas' only anglo players from nz and aust,no native indians no negroes unless west indian.
2nd xl comp started here a few sub continent players playing in victoria clive rose a spinner played in last world youth cup,and cameron frances in australia under 19 squad,has a rookie contract,both sub con players.
Neither did anything tho.
Good its now an under 23 comp,good chance to see young talent.

Zeeshan
October 6, 2009, 07:36 PM
The Witness (http://www.witness.co.za/index.php?showcontent&global%5B_id%5D=27924)

Posted by Asif The Man Rahman on 21 Sep 2009
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Why Ireland and not Bangladesh?
Just because Ireland won a T20 game against their neighbors in the ICC rankings? Does Peter Roebuck even think before he types?

It is comments like this and the ones in the following article that reek of extremely poor journalism: http://www.cricinfo.com/magazine/content/story/422153.html

:up:

Zeeshan
October 6, 2009, 07:40 PM
Not only Australia is too white, they are too straight like the SAffers!

GLAAD signed!

AsifTheManRahman
October 6, 2009, 07:51 PM
Brockley, you'll be surprised by the number of locals that play cricket in Canada. Heck even I've played backyard cricket with a good few locals here in my time. Two of the best players that the country has ever produced - Davison and Billcliff - were born in British Columbia (a province in Canada). Sure, their ancestors might have come from elsewhere, but then again, there are few Canadians whose ancestors didn't.

Heck, Canada's even had Vietnamese-French dudes born in Montreal play for her. It is important here to understand that a large portion of Canada's population comprises immigrants, to an extent that often to be Canadian is to be an immigrant. Even the women's team has quite a few locally born cricketers.

Canada's a very diverse nation as far as its population is concerned; more so than the USA and possibly anywhere else in the world. I say this because many Canadians are new immigrants, as opposed to being third/fourth/fifth generation. For example, if you regard players of foreign decent as non original Canadians, you're cutting out a huge chunk of the population from playing the game, because again, millions of immigrants enter Canada every year and for a country with a population of only 30 - 40 million that has been appreciably flexible in its immigration policies for years, the so-called "foreigners" make up most of the population. Would anyone ever have a problem with a large number of Hispanic dudes playing in the NFL?

In my town, there's a field dedicated to cricket, with a pitch that is regularly maintained and two other surfaces for net practice. In the very same park, they have separate baseball pitches and tennis courts. I for one don't see why globalization will be hampered if immigrants play cricket in Canada.

brockley
October 6, 2009, 10:29 PM
Ok asif just reflecting on the teams chosen.Zee think what you said is racist how can australia/states pick players if they are not good enough.
90 % of the population is white live with it.
Sub cons are a small % of pop,more chinese than subcons.
Its a thing of interest in sport.
In rugby league biggest % of muslims/arabics/lebanese etc playing the sport.
They love rugby league,they don't love cricket.
Think this australia is too white is a racist thread.
I have proven players are not good enough.
We did have symmonds but he is indisciplined,and doesn't want to play by the rules.
Please desist from racist comments.

bujhee kom
October 7, 2009, 12:44 AM
Historically guys, Australia is the land of many great top class cricketers. no doubt!

AsifTheManRahman
October 7, 2009, 12:12 PM
Ok asif just reflecting on the teams chosen.Zee think what you said is racist how can australia/states pick players if they are not good enough.
90 % of the population is white live with it.
Sub cons are a small % of pop,more chinese than subcons.
Its a thing of interest in sport.
In rugby league biggest % of muslims/arabics/lebanese etc playing the sport.
They love rugby league,they don't love cricket.
Think this australia is too white is a racist thread.
I have proven players are not good enough.
We did have symmonds but he is indisciplined,and doesn't want to play by the rules.
Please desist from racist comments.
Yes, to recall what I said earlier in this thread, I don't think it's an issue of racism and neither does the author of the article in question. I'm sure the best players will be picked irrespective of their racial backgrounds.

I posted this just because I found the article interesting, not because I believe there's prejudice in the Aussie selection process; in fact, I think it would be pretty naive and ridiculous to think so.

brockley
October 7, 2009, 09:54 PM
Responbding to zee guys.
Look its a worthy debate,no doubt.
Fact is cricket biggest sale to sportsplayers is to the anglos and the sub cons.
On a wide scale arabs,aboriginies chinese etc don't play it.
Infact so many chinese here dunno what sports they actually play or follow apart from ping pong,i gather low participation sportwise is the chinese community.

Zeeshan
October 7, 2009, 11:52 PM
Responbding to zee guys.

Lol wth did I do?!

All I did was make a tongue-in-cheek comment that if non-whites get worked up with race card, then soon minorities from Gay and Lesbian community will give the selectors a run for their money. It was mainly for a humorous touch I said that.

Fail! @ LASH Index

nahaz
October 9, 2009, 11:04 AM
Responbding to zee guys.
Look its a worthy debate,no doubt.
Fact is cricket biggest sale to sportsplayers is to the anglos and the sub cons.
On a wide scale arabs,aboriginies chinese etc don't play it.
Infact so many chinese here dunno what sports they actually play or follow apart from ping pong,i gather low participation sportwise is the chinese community.

Not much other than...ummm....tennis maybe! Oh yes, soccer. But not in their genes..unless making faces is a sport:P

brockley
October 9, 2009, 11:59 PM
Ok zee gay/lesbian another issues,as far as i know all the aussie guys married with kids,a good target for the gay.lesbian lobby.
Good to see you pushing a worthy cause.
Anyway lets see how the year develops and see what players emerge
Moises henriques is portuguese and jason kregja polish thats a start.

One World
October 14, 2009, 10:55 AM
Definitely too pacey. I agree with McGain, he needs a break to prove his worth in foreign grounds.

All pace attack recipe for disaster says Aussie leg-spinner McGain
Ani, ANI, 14 October 2009
Sydney, Oct 14(ANI): Australian leg-spinner Bryce McGain has criticized the Australian team's game plan of an all pace attack, saying that the selectors need to consider a change.

Australia's all pace attack has recently lost Test matches against India, New Zealand, South Africa and a modest England side during the Ashes series.

"People realise wrist spinners win matches. Australia have looked at their pace attack as their major weapon going into their last four series and they have lost three of them," The Australian quoted McGain, as saying.They are the facts. If they keep going with the same formula, maybe it won't be that successful. Maybe they need to look at different options. If that is me or the other spinners around, Australia need to consider what the best make-up of the team is," he added.

McGain further said that though Australia has been looking for an apt replacement for Shane Warne, who retired last year, they have not supported any spin bowler. He also highlighted how bowlers like Stuart MacGill, Beau Casson, Cameron White, Jason Krejza and Nathan Hauritz were used in patches.

"They have been unsure and I guess they have realised that that is unsettling. A player needs to have a couple of games, have a good run -- (be told) 'We're going to back you here'. That has happened to Hauritz now," McGain said.

"In the Ashes the plan was to back our quicks to take 20 wickets and that hasn't been a successful formula in the last four series. We have good strike bowlers, don't get me wrong, they are great fast bowlers, but you do need a match-winning option who is going to bowl spin," he added. (ANI