PDA

View Full Version : Tendulkar for two innings each in ODIs

nycpro96
September 4, 2009, 06:45 PM
Sachin Tendulkar is in favour of one-day cricket but believes the 50-over format can be tinkered with in order to reduce the advantage gained by the team winning the toss. He said that the total of 100 overs could be split into four innings of 25 each, which would mean that no side would have the best of the conditions for the entire match.
Tendulkar said he first thought of the format during the Champions Trophy final in 2002 where India played Sri Lanka in Colombo. In that match, Sri Lanka batted 50 overs before rain washed out the game shortly after India began their chase. On the reserve day, rain once again forced an abandonment after Sri Lanka had completed their innings.

"I am for 50-over cricket. I think we should have 25 overs a side to start with. I thought of this during the 2002 Champions Trophy in Sri Lanka," Tendulkar told Times Now, an Indian news channel. "In the finals, we ended up playing 110 overs against Sri Lanka. First they played 50 overs and we played 10 overs before the rain interruption. The next day, Sri Lanka again played 50 overs and in the end we were declared joint winners. I thought, 110 overs and still no result.

"That is when I thought, we should have 25 overs first for one side and then the other, and then once again 25 overs for one side and then the other. Today, we can tell the result of close to 75% of matches after the toss. We know how the conditions will affect the two teams. But it [his idea] is not too dependent on the toss because, for example, in a day-night match both the teams will have to bat under lights. The conditions change very dramatically but this would ensure that it's same for everyone."

Tendulkar's comments come at a time when the future of the one-day game is being questioned. The England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) has scrapped its domestic 50-over tournament while Cricket South Africa is considering changes to its domestic 45-over competition. The ECB is also likely to propose that the ICC conduct a formal review of the future of the 50-over format after the 2011 World Cup to protect the ODI structure amid the rise of Twenty20 cricket.

http://www.cricinfo.com/india/content/current/story/423548.html

nycpro96
September 4, 2009, 06:46 PM
I actually really like this idea. It seems fun to me. Lets see what happens.

AsifTheManRahman
September 4, 2009, 06:47 PM
Yes. But make it 20 overs per inning.

Zunaid
September 4, 2009, 06:54 PM
Yes. But make it 20 overs per inning.

And limit it to just one innings each.

yaseer
September 4, 2009, 10:49 PM
I am with this idea.
Test and ODI both will be 2 innings, so some more similarity between the two formats. I am never with 20/20. If 20/20 really threatens to kill ODI, I am with this idea of Tendu to have a 50 over match by splitting it in 2 innings.

Imteaz
September 4, 2009, 11:49 PM
Not a bad idea. Lets see.

One World
September 5, 2009, 02:15 AM
Breaking the game in four pieces will reduce the possibility of making hundreds,
also getting a fifer for a bowler.
If you want to call it some special format then it is ok.

Zeeshan
September 5, 2009, 02:47 AM
Breaking the game in four pieces will reduce the possibility of making hundreds,
also getting a fifer for a bowler.
If you want to call it some special format then it is ok.

I absolutely agree. Just because Tendu make up with this idea doesn't make it a stellar one. Heck even my Book Thread is more innovative than this (!). Besides why fix it if it ain't broke? ODI has a rich tradition and heritage and I like to see it retain that way.

mahbubH
September 5, 2009, 06:21 AM
good idea. did he mean the second innings as the continuation of the first innings, like if one bowler bowled 4 overs in the first innings then he can bowl at most only 6 overs in the second innings and a batsman can get chance of batting in only one innings (off course the two not out batsmen of first innings will start the second innings). I like this format of two innings more than having two separate innings.

Surfer
September 5, 2009, 06:41 AM
It will be good as toss and pitch condition will not play an extreme part in determining the winners. There are pitches that start off well and then breakdown leading the team batting first win invariably. Then there are the exact opposite pitches that swing in the first innings and then ease out. Either ways the toss winner gets a huge advantage. A two innings approach will mean the teams will have to somewhat share whatever the pitch has to offer, or lets say the toss winner's advantage will be much less.

The match will hardly have a dull moment as the competition will be neck to neck. One team goes half way, then the other team goes half way.....that will always keep the opposition and the fans on the toes. The uncertain moments will disappear. For example, the team batting first always wonders what is a good target to set- now they will know.

BanCricFan
September 5, 2009, 07:58 AM
And limit it to just one innings each.

hhmpuggk...nice one!

Raynman
September 5, 2009, 08:06 AM
The idea is interesting but more than likely that will speed up the death of test cricket just like T20 is about to do for ODI.

Murad
September 5, 2009, 11:32 AM
He doesn't want anyone else to BREAK his RECORDS of 15/16000 runs in ODIs, thats why he is proposing this idea.

If it becomes 25/25 x 2, no one will ever be able to play a long innings and make tons of runs like he did.

Quite a clever man. But it will not be happening..:-D

Beamer
September 5, 2009, 11:41 AM
Tendulkar's idea! what do I have to do to get some recognition around the world?

nycpro96
September 5, 2009, 11:43 AM
Its an interesting idea but I don't want to see the format changed at all. 50 over cricket imo is very fun to watch and is good for both batsman and bowlers. We shouldn't get rid of 50 over cricket.

BanCricFan
September 5, 2009, 12:30 PM
So what does SRT think about Test then- eh?...The very thought shivers my bod ;)

akabir77
September 5, 2009, 03:20 PM
what ever... just watch 2 t/20-'s then faltuuu

bangla-red
September 5, 2009, 03:39 PM
So what does SRT think about Test then- eh?...The very thought shivers my bod ;)

5 45 over innings each :ninja:

al Furqaan
September 5, 2009, 04:06 PM
don't get it...so do the teams have 20 wickets per ODI???

sounds like a dumb idea to me, part of cricket is to play with or against the conditions.

Nafi
September 5, 2009, 04:21 PM
Silly idea.

Gowza
September 5, 2009, 04:23 PM
i guess they mean something like supermax cricket but with more overs per innings and probably won't have the max zones (perhaps no time limits either). i like ODI cricket the way it is, if they want to tinker with a format just tinker with t20 cricket.

bharat
September 6, 2009, 09:59 PM
stupid idea !

For me as a fan I rather watch 20-20 if I want a shorter game .

ODI's are bound to die ..Sachin's idea or not

Tintin
September 7, 2009, 12:49 AM
I think he is talking about splitting one innings into two. ie, the team will bat its 1-25 overs, and then resume later with the not out batsmen for the 26-50 overs.

This is not a new idea. Was tried in Australia some 15 years back and was not a success.

_Rafi_
September 7, 2009, 07:39 AM
Sachin idea is absolutely rubbish. If that happens there will be lesser century and 5 wicket hauls in odi. It will transform odi to dhun darakka cricket from classic cricket.
<br />Posted via BC Mobile Edition

Baundule
September 7, 2009, 07:45 AM
To me, it does not make any sense. The toss winning side will still benefit, because one side bats the 1st and 3rd innings, while the other side does it for the 2nd and 4th innings. Ultimately, it will ruin the match, because a break most often causes losing the focus, as we have observed during the IPL strategy breaks.

ODIs are not that much affected by the change in the playing condition, because it is a one day affair and the pitch remains more or less the same in both innings.

One World
September 7, 2009, 01:52 PM
Imran Khan just flared up this debate a bit more when
he emphasized on the beauty of individual formats. It seems he is completely against
experimenting too much and tweaking of the existing.

(Prothom Alo)

Sovik
September 9, 2009, 01:41 AM
should leave the oneday games alone.