PDA

View Full Version : Thread ratings disabled: agree or disagree

Orpheus
September 11, 2009, 04:47 PM
Even though your opinion probably doesn't matter because this forum is a "at whim" type of forum.... but what is your opinion really? Did it really bother you?

Voice your opinion folks and watch democracy fail in your own eyes...

One World
September 11, 2009, 04:56 PM
This is a good feature.
Members should go above their personal POV's (instead of rating the thread opener's post about a topic rate the thread topic in general) while using it. So I cannot vote as you did not
put other as an option.

Orpheus
September 11, 2009, 04:59 PM
what's wrong with 2 with your comment posted?? Next time I will make a poll that will be 90 pages long inshallah.. doa korben.

Orpheus
September 11, 2009, 05:02 PM
Infact, I think every post should have a up and down arrow, not only threads. voting is in style now...whether it is public voted news sites or tv shows.

One World
September 11, 2009, 06:15 PM
You can always argue about a post within the thread or report a post
which is better enough for a forum whereas if you only vote for like
or dislike without putting in comments, that does not really help. In that case
the poster remains unaware of the pros and cons of his post in light of
the voter's POV.

For your question about number two, I do not see how my point
cuts through that option as I am not right now questioning the mods
for taking it off as the practice went offguard.

Zeeshan
September 11, 2009, 06:35 PM
I think although abused rating system should be brought back with perhaps minimal priveleges for the mods to use it and sculpt their own forum according to their own image. (And sometimes right after I posted a new thread I had my fair share of GOOD arrows so it's not as if I am bitter or anything.) Ratings kept the checks and balances of the forum and I wonder if there can be something like the answers.yahoo.com part where you get certain thumbs up and certain number of thumbs down.....

goru
September 11, 2009, 06:38 PM
I miss handing out 3 red arrows to all threads in sight and watching people get all worked up about it... :(

Orpheus
September 11, 2009, 08:42 PM
what ever!

One World
September 11, 2009, 08:57 PM
Nothing really.

Zunaid
September 11, 2009, 09:00 PM
Just a quick note - I have taken an exec decision to turn off the visualization of the thread rating feature until we can figure out an acceptable use-case. I think it is being abused - just as KDPP was being abused. I may turn on the visualization IFF at least 10 votes have been registered. That way, the chance of being prejudiced by the mischief-makers are minimized.

Bancan
September 11, 2009, 09:07 PM
umm suggestion here : cant we have a digg style digg up and down feature for each post?

Orpheus
September 11, 2009, 09:32 PM
I miss handing out 3 red arrows to all threads in sight and watching people get all worked up about it... :(

so you da culprit. I odn't think a thread would go as far as 10 votes without any visible arrows... I usually don't vote unless i see a good thread in red.

anyways it is 2 arrows, not three.

Orpheus
September 11, 2009, 09:34 PM
umm suggestion here : cant we have a digg style digg up and down feature for each post?

yes I been wanting that for ages now..I think that would be a major hack but it exist for vbulletin i am sure - may have to pay for it too who knows... the forum developers shoudl just embedd that in their next software version i think. No major forum in the net are without rating these days.

Zunaid
September 11, 2009, 09:36 PM
yes I been wanting that for ages now..I think that would be a major hack but it exist for vbulletin i am sure - may have to pay for it too who knows...

We have paid for the vBulletin license - your tax dollars at work. I am not aware of a digg style feature - yet. It would be a good thing.

Ajfar
September 12, 2009, 12:57 AM
orphy did somebody hurt your feelings?

BANFAN
September 12, 2009, 02:17 AM
Don't really need it. You can always expess by posting if you liked or disliked it. Report if it is objectionable/ hurting/painful to see it hanging there.

ialbd
September 12, 2009, 11:00 AM
never visited (or refrained from visiting) a thread based on that..... so I guess makes no difference to me.

we are always driven by the words in the thread name..... so nothing else quite matters that much....

Ashraf-FTP
September 12, 2009, 11:16 AM
who cares.. barely any threads were rated positively.. i visit a thread cause of its subject (like this one)

auntu
September 12, 2009, 11:21 AM
Only former GB's one get red ones. So worries are for him.

Dhruvo
September 12, 2009, 01:58 PM
It really doesnt matter to me, but it is good to have that rating system so that members can express their opinions. This is a forum after all.

sbsash
September 12, 2009, 02:02 PM
Forum is better without it

Tigers_eye
September 13, 2009, 07:03 AM
If thread rating is abused just think how digg up down will be used.

I am all for the thread rating system and voted. In public forum people need to grow more skins and think twice before opening threads. In other words, adults should stop acting like children.

Abusive is subjective here.

Imteaz
September 13, 2009, 08:53 AM
Doesn't make any sense to me.

Ashfaq
September 14, 2009, 07:46 PM
Glad that the arrows are now a thing of the past. Now I can make my own judgment, instead of it being done for me by persons who might be very different from me.

Thanks mods.

Zeeshan
September 14, 2009, 07:56 PM
Glad that the arrows are now a thing of the past. Now I can make my own judgment, instead of it being done for me by persons who might be very different from me.

Thanks mods.

You know what they say....

"Don't mess with the red arrows!"

Zeeshan
October 13, 2009, 03:48 PM
Any news on that? Will there be new feature? Losing my sleep over it...

bangla-red
October 13, 2009, 03:57 PM
Any news on that? Will there be new feature? Losing my sleep over it...

Take as long as you need, mods :D

Murad
October 14, 2009, 11:41 AM
In public forum people need to grow more skins and think twice before opening threads. In other words, adults should stop acting like children.

Abusive is subjective here.

Well said.
I liked it too. Instead of posting and insult the thread opener for opening a faltu thread, i used to rate the thread.

Koidin faltu threads open howa kome gechilo but nowadays onek bere jachche abar...!!

Please admins, enable it again.

Thanks.

auntu
October 16, 2009, 04:02 PM
Yea let there be red.

goru
June 1, 2011, 02:36 PM
They are back... ???

Or am I hallucinating again...

tonoy
June 1, 2011, 03:05 PM
Yup they're back. Watch out Zee! Mu ha ha ha!

Nadim
June 1, 2011, 03:19 PM
Seems like some1 is playing with it in forget cricket section :-p

Naimul_Hd
June 1, 2011, 09:27 PM
Seems like some1 is playing with it in forget cricket section :-p

somebody gonna get hurt real bad :)

Ashraf-FTP
June 1, 2011, 11:15 PM
Lol, yeah I think they are back just as an experiment for the forget cricket section. I believe it is a great move by the Mods :) Thank you guys, I love to rate :P

Zunaid
June 1, 2011, 11:22 PM
somebody gonna get hurt real bad :)

Yeah. You know who you are. We have logs. So don't abuse the forums.

Naimul_Hd
June 2, 2011, 12:09 AM
Yeah. You know who you are. We have logs. So don't abuse the forums.

If you know who's the culprit then why are you pointing gun at me, huh !? :wow:

Zunaid bhai khali bhoy dekhaite bhalobashe !! :cool:

Isnaad
June 2, 2011, 12:25 AM
If you know who's the culprit then why are you pointing gun at me, huh !? :wow:

Zunaid bhai khali bhoy dekhaite bhalobashe !! :cool:

:floor: RAB style!
<br />Posted via BC Mobile Edition (Opera Mobile)

Zunaid
June 2, 2011, 12:36 AM
:floor: RAB style!

Guli to mari nai. Bechara akhono beche achhey.

goru
June 2, 2011, 01:34 AM
Well, how do you know whether I was abusing the forum or genuinely rating threads?

goru
June 2, 2011, 06:03 AM
Okay, I have a real suggestion:

Since it seems like:
- I can't give negative feedback on threads (95% of threads in my case) without it being considered "abuse"
- People get upset over negative ratings and sometimes feel targetted

...how about you completely remove negative ratings?

i.e. no red arrow ratings. Only no rating or 3 levels of green arrows.

I think this solves all the problems.

Isnaad
June 2, 2011, 06:11 AM

Since it seems like:
- I can't give negative feedback on threads (95% of threads in my case) without it being considered "abuse"

Or, how about, you rate the threads more positively? Mone raakhben, porikhhay mark o thread er rating, kono ti e ditey poisha laage na..;)

goru
June 2, 2011, 06:30 AM
Or, how about, you rate the threads more positively?

I don't think this is the North Korean Cricket Forum.

Isnaad
June 2, 2011, 06:43 AM
I don't think this is the North Korean Cricket Forum.

No, it is not. Apparently, it is not the Swiss Cricket Forum either.

goru
June 2, 2011, 06:53 AM
No, it is not. Apparently, it is not the Swiss Cricket Forum either.

Nonsensical retort.

Zunaid
June 2, 2011, 06:58 AM
That is not a bad idea my bovine friend.
<br />Posted via BC Mobile Edition

goru
June 2, 2011, 07:09 AM
That is not a bad idea my bovine friend.
<br />Posted via BC Mobile Edition

Cool...

I definitely should have switched to Psych major in college.

Murad
June 2, 2011, 12:27 PM

Since it seems like:

Red arrow na thakle Zeeshan raag korbo to.

iDumb
June 7, 2011, 10:23 AM

Since it seems like:

You are right, there is no such a thing as "abuse" when it comes to ratings because you only have one vote. Abuse would be to open multiple nicks to vote multiple times. The whole concept of social voting is if you vote 3 negative, someone else will counter that with their vote if the thread deserves a higher rating. And chances of me voting positive are high when i see 3 red arrows on a thread that is actually good/enjoyable/worth my time.

therefore i disagree with removing the negative ratings - this is not bush education plan - no child left behind even if you are stupid as hell. There are truly some garbage threads out there... more so garbage posts. also some good posts too that I wanna clap to without replying.

anyways, what should be discouraged is the discussion of thread rating in every thread that is rated. That takes away from the topic.

Dn't worry goru, I am always there to fix your 95% dislikes, because i like 96% of the threads.

Zeeshan
December 4, 2011, 04:25 PM
Could ratings be brought back?

Strictly as a BC fan. I think it will also lower the enthusiasm of trigger happy thread starters like moi. :)

Edit: Peer pressure is always good unless they offer harmful sodas.