PDA

View Full Version : Who is the best international captain currently?

Surfer
September 19, 2009, 06:30 PM
Your impression leading up to the 2011 WC?

Australia- Ponting has been more exposed with time IMO. As he lost some of his best guys, he has looked lost in times of difficulty. Losing the Ashes to England is a sin. He has now sinned twice.

Bangladesh- Shakib Al Hasan- First ever series victory for Bangladesh, but I guess yet to do a lot to come anywhere close to being called the best international captain.

England: Strauss- The Ashes winner. But there is cricket outside Ashes. Almost approaching a 7-0 in ODIs.

India- Dhoni- Yet to lose a test match. Great turn around for India winning more than ever before. But too early to call?

New Zealand: Dan is a superb man. Leads from the front. But results??

Pakistan: YK won the T20 WC. Lost heavily to Lanka. But too early to call either ways?

SA: Smith is cool, but yet to break out of SA's chokers tag. May be CT?

Sri Lanka: Sanga has great results in his small career, but all at home. Too early IMO.

WI: Forget it.

nzfan
September 19, 2009, 06:40 PM
New Zealand always seems to have far above average captains

But if the players aren't there, what can you do, players like ponting are classed as good captains just because of their results, but who says the results are caused by him, it wouldn't of had anything to do with an amazing batting and bowling and fielding line up would it?

Surfer
September 19, 2009, 07:00 PM

But if the players aren't there, what can you do, players like ponting are classed as good captains just because of their results, but who says the results are caused by him, it wouldn't of had anything to do with an amazing batting and bowling and fielding line up would it?

Agree with you. IMO Dan is a very good captain. Very level headed, leads by example and uses his resources well. Results are never the criteria. Ponting wins because of a good team, not because he is a great captain. In fact, he is a very average captain.

Rifat
September 19, 2009, 07:03 PM
My Vote goes out for Shakib-AL-hasan: for many reasons...:

not just because of my bias towards my own nationality, but also how he exemplified himself in and out of the field in the recent past.

also, he took the place of another captain, be it a weakened West Indian Team, he is a good strategist and knows how to motivate the team

mahbubH
September 19, 2009, 07:06 PM
YK I think.

Surfer
September 19, 2009, 07:17 PM
My Vote goes out for Shakib-AL-hasan: for many reasons...:

not just because of my bias towards my own nationality, but also how he exemplified himself in and out of the field in the recent past.

also, he took the place of another captain, be it a weakened West Indian Team, he is a good strategist and knows how to motivate the team

Oh, c'mon. He has to do more than that to be called the best. Dhoni tookover mid series against the best team in the world from a clueless Kumble and won two straight ones. Don't you think that qualifies asa better show than winning against a bunch of unherad of players?
<br />Posted via BC Mobile Edition

One World
September 19, 2009, 09:00 PM
The best captain is Smith.
Dhoni is not a captain, nobody really cares about his existence.

nzfan
September 19, 2009, 09:23 PM
Don't getr angry one world :) Shakib just needs to captain for longer before his true abilities are shown, currently it looks pretty good

Ashraful and Bashar for some reason liked setting defensive fields which let opposition batsman merrily accumulate runs, while shakib doesn't He is also the best player in the team and leads by example so the other players can look up to him

Shabhu
September 19, 2009, 09:28 PM
I'd say Dan Vettori, he's been a great captain for NZ during their tough times and has continually performed well with both bat and ball as captain. He is an inspiring player.

_Rafi_
September 20, 2009, 01:03 AM
GC SMITH. He is the one who takeover captaincy at very early age and improving day by day. He starts his captaincy tentatively but he learnt from mistake.
Ponting is good captain but not good enough.
Sanga so far is not very promising. He is more defencive
Dhoni the lucky gambler. Captaining significantly but yet to win test series in SouthAfrica.
Strauss,Shakib,Reifer,Younis- just started career, nothing to say.
Vettori- Selector+captain. Most powerfull captain for a single team. He has to do lot of work to make this mediocre team competitive as Steven Fleming did.
<br />Posted via BC Mobile Edition

Surfer
September 20, 2009, 06:28 AM

What is Dhoni then? Care to elaborate?

Imteaz
September 20, 2009, 10:49 AM
Tough Question.

Isnaad
September 20, 2009, 11:00 PM
I was actually very impressed of Vettori......Shakib will prove to be the best in 5 to 7 years time...:)

Isnaad
September 20, 2009, 11:02 PM

Just my opinion- Dhoni is a good player and has good strategies...moreover, he got the advantage that his team is performing better than b4...Problem is, he is TOO calm for a captain.

Abid_Khan
September 21, 2009, 02:44 AM
Dan Vettori - Leads from the front with bowling and batting nowadays. He's more reliable and is someone the rest of the team can look up to.

One World
September 21, 2009, 04:38 AM
I sometimes doubt even if MSD is a cricketer.

Baundule
September 21, 2009, 05:04 AM
IMO, Sanga is the most intelligent cricketer at the moment. So, it goes for his captaincy as well.

Surfer
September 21, 2009, 07:35 AM

Seems you are a one liner kind of guy. You never bother to explain anything. Whatever makes you happy!!

Baundule
September 21, 2009, 08:06 AM
he he, agune ghi dhaila disen. :D

AsifTheManRahman
September 21, 2009, 09:49 AM
Yes and yes.

Ganguly >>>>> Dhoni

Purbasha T
September 21, 2009, 02:12 PM
Exclude the BD captain before publishing the poll....looool!

BTW, I voted for Shakib-Al-Hasan too. Well, at least he is the best stats-wise or winning ratio-wise. :-p

Umm, but okay; among the long-serving ones, I like Vettori.

And among the former ones (though not asked), Ganguly is the MAAAAAAAN.

Dhruvo
September 21, 2009, 03:35 PM
Smith IMO is a good captain and perhaps the best in my opinion. Shakib has the potential to become the best captain, but right now he isn't because he hasn't played enough matches as captain.

zman
September 23, 2009, 09:43 PM
Here's my rankings...

1. Smith-- very good captain, leads a tremendously talented team and their recent performances bear it out
2. Dan & YK-- very good captains, unfortunately their team mates are too inconsistent and have underperformed thus far
3. Shakib-- very good captain, has the potential to be the best in the world, great out of the box thinker, possesses amazing cricketing sense-- being a great all rounder has provided him with the ability and vision to observe the game through the eyes of both a batsman and a bowler. Unfortunately he can only go as far as his team mates will allow him to go.
4. Strauss-- good captain and has the potential to get much better with experience.
5. Ponting-- used to be one of the best if not the best, but has lost his mojo in recent times.
6. Sanga & Dhoni-- great cricketers, average captains. Nobody recalls India ever winning a match for Dhoni's great captaincy, they only win when their powerful batting line up clicks. Almost the same could be said about Sanga except that SL's batting is weaker than India's, but their bowling dept. is stronger.

One World
September 23, 2009, 10:45 PM
^ Very good post.
As for number four I doubt anybody can lead the English. They need a Paul Gascoigne of Cricket for the job.

AsifTheManRahman
September 24, 2009, 03:34 PM
Here's a man I generally have a lot of respect for and the following interview (cut in two pieces) adds to my admiration of the way he goes about his business:

http://www.cricinfo.com/magazine/content/story/425962.html
http://www.cricinfo.com/magazine/content/story/425971.html

Not a Pakistani supporter of any sort, but I do feel for their players, who are ambassadors of the game fighting hard to give their country a good name while constantly being let down by the government and the political situation at home. Not easy at all.

The best international captain, though, is still Shakib Al Hasan.

Eshen
September 24, 2009, 04:23 PM
I will go with Vettori. But to be honest, none of the current international captains strike me as a charismatic or shrewd leader.

Shakib prolly got better potential than rest if he can keep his temper in check.

chol_bd123
September 26, 2009, 12:50 PM

Even though I voted for Shakib for obvious reasons.LOL. I think the best captain is Dan Vettori. He is an excellant bowler and is better with the bat then any Bangladeshi batsmen. And he seems like a nice person compared to other captains.

kalpurush
September 27, 2009, 08:23 PM
Even though I voted for Shakib for obvious reasons.LOL. I think the best captain is Dan Vettori. He is an excellant bowler and is better with the bat then any Bangladeshi batsmen. And he seems like a nice person compared to other captains.
And its comming from a Tiger fan!!!:o

bujhee kom
September 28, 2009, 01:24 AM
If I could vote for 2 captains right now I would vote for Smith and Dhoni. In my opinion these 2 are the current best! Ponting is as well.

mahbubH
September 28, 2009, 01:54 AM
may be a model and future bolly star.

Tigers_eye
September 28, 2009, 10:06 AM
Best Intl captain: what are the criterias?

For me he has to lead from the front and not make mistakes in making crucial decisions. Win and loss depends on the entire team's performances.

So for me, I don't count win-loss to measure the best captain. Vettori is the pick among the ones mentioned in all format.

1) Vettori
2) Dhoni, Sanga, Smith, Shakib, Strauss, YK
3) Pont

Imteaz
September 29, 2009, 12:25 AM
Ricky Ponting: :) 2 times ODI World Champion and keeping his team number 1 in both ODI & Test ranking for long time.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comhttp://www.banglacricket.com/alochona/ /><o:p></o:p></FONT></FONT></P><P><FONT color=black><FONT face=Graem Smith: Made his team no 1 in ICC ODI and Test ranking, winning test series in <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comhttp://www.banglacricket.com/alochona/ /><st1:country-region alt=</st1:country-region><st1:place w:st="on">Australia</st1:place>.<o:p></o:p>
MS Dhoni: Won a World Cup (T20 2007)<o:p></o:p>
Yunis Khan: Won 2009 T20 WC<o:p></o:p>
Kumara Sangakara: Won some crucial series. Yet to win overseas.<o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
Daniel Vettori, Andrew Straus, Floyed Reifer, Shakib Al Hasan: Long way to go. Making any comments about their captaincy will be biased or as supporter.<o:p></o:p>
Without Success it doesn’t matter what was <st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">ur</st1:place></st1:City> strategy. It is important to pass the exam, not how many hours you spent to study. Otherwise, we will celebrate with who spent maximum time to study before SSC or HSC rather celebrating with GPA 5 holders.

One World
September 30, 2009, 05:23 PM
Eendia kicked out of Champion's trophy.
Ask me about the worst possible captain - need I say more?

nzfan
September 30, 2009, 05:43 PM
Ricky Ponting: :) 2 times ODI World Champion and keeping his team number 1 in both ODI & Test ranking for long time.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comhttp://www.banglacricket.com/alochona/ /><o:p></o:p></FONT></FONT></P><P><FONT color=black><FONT face=Graem Smith: Made his team no 1 in ICC ODI and Test ranking, winning test series in <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comhttp://www.banglacricket.com/alochona/ /><st1:country-region alt=</st1:country-region><st1:place w:st="on">Australia</st1:place>.<o:p></o:p>
MS Dhoni: Won a World Cup (T20 2007)<o:p></o:p>
Yunis Khan: Won 2009 T20 WC<o:p></o:p>
Kumara Sangakara: Won some crucial series. Yet to win overseas.<o:p></o:p>
Daniel Vettori, Andrew Straus, Floyed Reifer, Shakib Al Hasan: Long way to go. Making any comments about their captaincy will be biased or as supporter.<o:p></o:p>
Without Success it doesn’t matter what was <st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">ur</st1:place></st1:City> strategy. It is important to pass the exam, not how many hours you spent to study. Otherwise, we will celebrate with who spent maximum time to study before SSC or HSC rather celebrating with GPA 5 holders.

The thing is, you cant judge a captain on the performances of his team, how would those captains you class as amazing go captaining one of the lower teams

Murad
September 30, 2009, 08:04 PM
lolz.. I'm surprised to see Shakib's name in the poll!!! Come-on he captained the team only in 3 series: 2 ODI and 1 Test series. And all against weak team. Series against WI don't count much.

Vettory has to be the man. He is cool headed and always save the team with both batting and bowling.

Other captains are well supported by their batsmen and bowler. Some of them are worse than Ashraful.

Ajfar
September 30, 2009, 10:09 PM
is india on the verge of getting a new captain or something?

Imteaz
October 1, 2009, 12:37 AM
The thing is, you cant judge a captain on the performances of his team, how would those captains you class as amazing go captaining one of the lower teams

Yes, it can be judged with performance.
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comhttp://www.banglacricket.com/alochona/ /><o:p></o:p></FONT></FONT></P><P><FONT color=black><FONT face=Example: Stephen Fleming. When he became the captain, NZ didn’t have a star batter like Sachin, Lara, Kallis. He didn’t have bowler like Donald, Mcgrath or Waqar. Only Shane Bond joined later on. His resources were very ordinary. None of his batter had 50+ averages in test and 40+ averages in ODI. But, with his extra ordinary captaincy he made the best output of his team and all together he got success. Won Test series in <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comhttp://www.banglacricket.com/alochona/ /><st1:country-region alt=</st1:country-region>England, Make a draw in test series in <st1:country-region w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">India (Which is very tough for non subcontinent team)</st1:place></st1:country-region>, Won Champions trophy 2000. He made his team no 2 in ICC ODI ranking.<o:p></o:p>
But with some extra ordinary resources some other teams couldn't do it. Example: Sachin Tendulkar. Do I have to explain? :)<o:p></o:p>
If you are a good captain, you can make the maximum juice out of your player. Cricket is a team game. With performance, it must be reflected.

Now it is time for Vettori to prove, he is good captain. Already got one success that with this weak team he has become the semifinalist beating SA & SL who has better resources than NZ. But, it is the starting. He has to prove something more.

Tigers_eye
October 1, 2009, 08:33 AM
Yes, it can be judged with performance.
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comhttp://www.banglacricket.com/alochona/ /><o:p></o:p></FONT></FONT></P><P><FONT color=black><FONT face=Example: Stephen Fleming. When he became the captain, NZ didn’t have a star batter like Sachin, Lara, Kallis. He didn’t have bowler like Donald, Mcgrath or Waqar. Only Shane Bond joined later on. His resources were very ordinary. None of his batter had 50+ averages in test and 40+ averages in ODI. But, with his extra ordinary captaincy he made the best output of his team and all together he got success. Won Test series in <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comhttp://www.banglacricket.com/alochona/ /><st1:country-region alt=</st1:country-region>England, Make a draw in test series in <st1:country-region w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">India (Which is very tough for non subcontinent team)</st1:place></st1:country-region>, Won Champions trophy 2000. He made his team no 2 in ICC ODI ranking.<o:p></o:p>
But with some extra ordinary resources some other teams couldn't do it. Example: Sachin Tendulkar. Do I have to explain? :)<o:p></o:p>
If you are a good captain, you can make the maximum juice out of your player. Cricket is a team game. With performance, it must be reflected.

Now it is time for Vettori to prove, he is good captain. Already got one success that with this weak team he has become the semifinalist beating SA & SL who has better resources than NZ. But, it is the starting. He has to prove something more.
Compare Flemming with Pont. Any day, every day, every moment as a captain Flemming is better. Yet Pont enjoyed more wins, #1 rankings. So under your criteria Pont is a better captain than Flemming? End of discussion.

Imteaz
October 1, 2009, 08:50 AM
ok. :)

Baundule
October 1, 2009, 09:35 AM
is india on the verge of getting a new captain or something?
That is very much a possibility after Dhoni's bowling against the WI. :D

AsifTheManRahman
October 1, 2009, 01:47 PM
As we're discussing captains: http://www.cricinfo.com/magazine/content/story/427587.html

The baddest they are, the goodest they get.

nycpro96
October 1, 2009, 03:06 PM
I think Smith and Younis Khan are amazing captains. So is daniel Vettori

AsifTheManRahman
October 1, 2009, 03:26 PM
As we're discussing captains: http://www.cricinfo.com/magazine/content/story/427587.html

The baddest they are, the goodest they get.
Then again, how stupid is the spirit of the game? I say scrap it, play by the books and let the umpires do their jobs.

Grey clouds lie over moral high ground as cricketers examine Spirit of the Game (http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/columnists/mike_atherton/article6855861.ece#cid=OTC-RSS&attr=796995)

I say aye in favor of the motion put forth in the last paragraph.

One World
October 1, 2009, 04:30 PM
Atherton is Jealous.

Imteaz
October 1, 2009, 10:23 PM
Joy of Cricket.

sbsash
October 1, 2009, 10:33 PM
Vettori or Dhoni maybe even G. Smith

AsifTheManRahman
October 7, 2009, 03:13 PM
Peter Roebuck loves Vettori (http://www.cricinfo.com/magazine/content/story/428617.html). A very good article, devoid of the kind of crap one would expect from Roebuck.

naz_ca
November 9, 2009, 10:34 AM
dhoni without doubt.

BANFAN
November 9, 2009, 11:20 AM
I'm undecided between Dhoni & Shakib. Smith is good as well, I like him. Though Dhoni have a good statistics as a captain; but I somehow don't like him as a captain.

WI4EVER
November 9, 2009, 08:48 PM
Vettori has probably the best results as a captain as a batsman, but his bowling leaves alot to be desired, same with his tactics.

Ponting has just got his 'own team'. He won the Ashes 07 with Steve Waugh's team. Basically he must find an opening batsman who can put of the numbers like Hayden (Or close), same with the new keeper and spinner. Australia will dominate world cricket if they can find 3/4 of a Warne.

I rate Sangakkara the highest, followed by Smith. Smith is not much of a choker, the rest of his team does though. He made a century in a losing cause in the CT.

Baundule
November 10, 2009, 02:59 AM
Vettori almost costed the series against Pakistan. When Aamer and Saeed needed only run a ball, he did not have any close fielder to save the singles, men were placed at the boundary rope to save boundary, when the #11 and #10 were working on singles so easily.

Hyro
November 18, 2009, 03:11 AM
Shakib will be the best captain only for hard core Bangla fans.. he has got potential & a 100 times better than Ash... but the best captain ? really ?

The best Captain for me is Vitory... simply because without many world class players (except for himself & Taylor..I dont call Mccallen world class..he is just a hit 1 & miss 10 kind of a batsmen) he gets the best out of his team..

in almost any major tournament NZ always gets to atleast the Quarters...

Vitory is the best Captain in the World for me..

Sanga (Because I'm a SL) is a better captain in Tests than in ODIs... He gets pissed off a lot & cant contol his emotions... makes stupid decisions & never giv credits to the winning team...

He has a lot to learn from Mahela... Sanga is actually one of the worst ODI captains ever for me...