PDA

View Full Version : The Official 2009-10 NHL thread

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Beamer
October 1, 2009, 02:47 PM
Hello, fellow NHL fans. The new season is upon us. Time to start a new season with a clean slate. Everybody starts 0-0-0. Gone are the joys and sorrows of last year. Looking forward to locking horns with my dear brother Sohel, cricman, Istylish Cricketer, Nocturnal, Akib and anyone and everyone who enjoy this sport.

Let the season begin. Fire away..

Nocturnal
October 2, 2009, 03:48 AM
<table bgcolor="#666666" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="468"><tbody><tr bgcolor="#333333"><td class="title" colspan="11" height="18" width="468">USA / Canada - NHL</td></tr><tr bgcolor="#333333"><td class="match-light" colspan="2" height="18" width="348"> </td><td class="match-light" colspan="9" align="right" width="120">October 1 </td></tr><tr><td colspan="11" height="1">
</td></tr><tr bgcolor="#dfdfdf"><td height="18" width="45"> AOT</td><td align="right" width="270">Toronto Maple Leafs</td><td align="center" width="5"> </td><td align="center" width="32">3</td><td align="right" width="6">(</td><td align="center" width="20">1</td><td align="center" width="20">1</td><td align="center" width="20">1</td><td align="center" width="20">0</td><td align="center" width="20"> </td><td align="left" width="10">)</td></tr><tr bgcolor="#cccccc"><td colspan="11" height="1">
</td></tr><tr bgcolor="#dfdfdf"><td height="18" width="45"> </td><td align="right" width="270">Montreal Canadiens</td><td align="center" width="5"> </td><td align="center" width="32">4</td><td align="right" width="6">(</td><td align="center" width="20">1</td><td align="center" width="20">1</td><td align="center" width="20">1</td><td align="center" width="20">1</td><td align="center" width="20"> </td><td align="left" width="10">)</td></tr><tr><td colspan="11" height="1">
</td></tr><tr bgcolor="#cfcfcf"><td height="18" width="45"> FT</td><td align="right" width="270">Boston Bruins</td><td align="center" width="5"> </td><td align="center" width="32">1</td><td align="right" width="6">(</td><td align="center" width="20">0</td><td align="center" width="20">0</td><td align="center" width="20">1</td><td align="center" width="20"> </td><td align="center" width="20"> </td><td align="left" width="10">)</td></tr><tr bgcolor="#bbbbbb"><td colspan="11" height="1">
</td></tr><tr bgcolor="#cfcfcf"><td height="18" width="45"> </td><td align="right" width="270">Washington Capitals</td><td align="center" width="5"> </td><td align="center" width="32">4</td><td align="right" width="6">(</td><td align="center" width="20">1</td><td align="center" width="20">1</td><td align="center" width="20">2</td><td align="center" width="20"> </td><td align="center" width="20"> </td><td align="left" width="10">)</td></tr><tr><td colspan="11" height="1">
</td></tr><tr bgcolor="#dfdfdf"><td height="18" width="45"> FT</td><td align="right" width="270">Calgary Flames</td><td align="center" width="5"> </td><td align="center" width="32">5</td><td align="right" width="6">(</td><td align="center" width="20">3</td><td align="center" width="20">1</td><td align="center" width="20">1</td><td align="center" width="20"> </td><td align="center" width="20"> </td><td align="left" width="10">)</td></tr><tr bgcolor="#cccccc"><td colspan="11" height="1">
</td></tr><tr bgcolor="#dfdfdf"><td height="18" width="45"> </td><td align="right" width="270">Vancouver Canucks</td><td align="center" width="5"> </td><td align="center" width="32">3</td><td align="right" width="6">(</td><td align="center" width="20">0</td><td align="center" width="20">2</td><td align="center" width="20">1</td><td align="center" width="20"> </td><td align="center" width="20"> </td><td align="left" width="10">)</td></tr><tr><td colspan="11" height="1">
</td></tr><tr bgcolor="#cfcfcf"><td height="18" width="45"> FT</td><td align="right" width="270">Colorado Avalanche</td><td align="center" width="5"> </td><td align="center" width="32">5</td><td align="right" width="6">(</td><td align="center" width="20">2</td><td align="center" width="20">3</td><td align="center" width="20">0</td><td align="center" width="20"> </td><td align="center" width="20"> </td><td align="left" width="10">)</td></tr><tr bgcolor="#bbbbbb"><td colspan="11" height="1">
</td></tr><tr bgcolor="#cfcfcf"><td height="18" width="45"> </td><td align="right" width="270">San Jose Sharks</td><td align="center" width="5"> </td><td align="center" width="32">2</td><td align="right" width="6">(</td><td align="center" width="20">1</td><td align="center" width="20">1</td><td align="center" width="20">0</td><td align="center" width="20"> </td><td align="center" width="20"> </td><td align="left" width="10">)</td></tr></tbody></table>

Nocturnal
October 2, 2009, 03:52 AM
Good day for Calgary. Season opening win over Canucks!
Dalai Lama is in town also...I saw him today in downtown infront of his hotel :)

http://a123.g.akamai.net/f/123/12465/1d/www.calgaryherald.com/hard+bitten+hearts+melt+dalai+lama+presence/2058143/2058144.bin

The Dalai Lama surprised the media by shaking the hands of reporters and photographers Thursday.
Photograph by: Leah Hennel, Calgary Herald, Calgary Herald

Link (http://www.calgaryherald.com/Hard+bitten+hearts+melt+Dalai+Lama+presence/2058143/story.html)

Fazal
October 5, 2009, 02:14 PM
I am not reaaly a NHL fan, but to tell you the truth, Capitals is soo much fun to watch.

Boy... they are so entertaining to watch. Looks like they are in a mission this season.

Beamer
October 6, 2009, 11:31 AM
I am not reaaly a NHL fan, but to tell you the truth, Capitals is soo much fun to watch.

Boy... they are so entertaining to watch. Looks like they are in a mission this season.

We will see about the mission. Goalie and defense issues had to be addressed if they want to win the cup, which is the current property of yet another Pittsburgh team..:)

Fazal
October 6, 2009, 03:54 PM
We will see about the mission. Goalie and defense issues had to be addressed if they want to win the cup, which is the current property of yet another Pittsburgh team..:)

As far as I know, Goalie is not an issue for this season, but defense is of-course may be the issue. But then its too early to discount their defense.

The team is young and the season is new and the start is excellent except some lapse in defence at the end against Toronto. But offence is great so far. Pretty dominating performance so far against Boston as well as Toronto.

cricman
October 6, 2009, 05:28 PM
Theodore stll starting :)

Better not see Varlamov on Thursday when we play them.

Rangers Rookies look good so far Del Zotto and Gilroy, Staal is only 22 ... Nice Foundation of Defensemen to have for the next decade.

Crosses fingers for Gabby to stay healthy, and we'll have a good year

Beamer
October 7, 2009, 10:26 AM
When healthy Gaborik is as good as any player in this league. I always admired his goal scoring prowess even in that defensive system in Minn. Wild.

Theodore will not win a cup for Caps. Alex Ovechkin continues to score at a torrid pace.

Fazal
October 7, 2009, 12:33 PM
I had high hopes for Varlamov this season. But looks like its Varlamov who is giving too many goals, and its Theodore who is playing better.

But yes Theodore's ceiling is not high enough. To go all the way, Varlamov need to start playing like a pro. There is still some time for him to grow this season, as this is really his first full season in NFL.

Beamer
October 7, 2009, 01:04 PM
Its early. Varlamov was great in the playoffs last year. He has a whole year to get his feet wet in NHL.
Its a shame that Pens and Caps don't meet until late Jan! What a quirky scheduling..

Fazal
October 9, 2009, 01:11 PM
Capital-er defense asholeyee Faltu. If they cannot fix it quickly, all the good deeds by the offence will go to the toilet.

What a pity. What an explosive offense, and the defense is not even playing average to give them any hope. They defense looks like bottomless basket.

Beamer
October 9, 2009, 02:02 PM
Caps have the worst defense among all the elite teams. In playoffs, you won't get away with it, no matter how many goals you score. In a long series, Caps will be exploited. Eventually, they will have to trade some of their firepower to get solid on defense.

Beamer
October 21, 2009, 11:31 AM
Pens are on a roll. What Stanley Cup hangover?

Burgers
October 24, 2009, 01:12 AM
Was watching an interesting debate the other day - one to have a think about. You can build a franchise around either Sidney Crosby or Alexander Ovechkin. Was surprising to see the love for Crosby, I'd hae thought Ovechkin would have been favoured a lot more than he was.

I'm a Senators fan, was gutted to read about Dany Heatley's departure as he was always such a big part of our offense...

Beamer
October 24, 2009, 08:54 AM
Can't go wrong with either. I would love to have Alex in my team, but settle for Sid and Malkin!

Beamer
October 29, 2009, 12:10 PM
When did Colorado become so good? They are on fire.

Latest injury among stars: Malkin. He is out at least two weeks. Kovalchuk, Gaborik, Franzen, Towes- all hurt among other stars. Not having Malkin really hurts us. We have to buckle down and grind out victories.

Sohel
October 31, 2009, 03:44 AM
Thanks for opening this bro ... :)

The Avs were always pretty solid. Easily our greatest rivals after Toronto and Chicago.

Beamer
October 31, 2009, 09:03 AM
Avs had a terrible down season or two in the recent past. Sudden turn around is surprising. Yeah, traditionally, Avs/Nordiques were strong.

Akib
October 31, 2009, 11:58 AM
Was watching an interesting debate the other day - one to have a think about. You can build a franchise around either Sidney Crosby or Alexander Ovechkin. Was surprising to see the love for Crosby, I'd hae thought Ovechkin would have been favoured a lot more than he was.

I'm a Senators fan, was gutted to read about Dany Heatley's departure as he was always such a big part of our offense...

Well, a good centre can do wonders (see the Leafs struggles). Although honestly, both are so awesome, it really wouldn't make much of a difference.

As for the Av's I doubt they will continue at this pace. They will come back to earth soon. I see them ending up as either a low level playoff seed or barely missed playoffs.

Anyways, I'm happy to see leafs FINALLY pick it up and get some points... Hopefully, we can beat the habs...

Akib
November 3, 2009, 10:20 PM
OMG.... Leafs are so unlucky... that was so interference.... And how did the pervious shot by stajan/mitchel not go in... basically hit everything but net....

:@

Oh well... Not solely last place anymore!

Bancan
November 3, 2009, 10:34 PM
Holy Crap

This is like what our 5th OT loss. damn

Akib
November 3, 2009, 10:35 PM
Holy Crap

This is like what our 5th OT loss. damn

At least we got a point... Imagine if we just won those 5... Back to respectibility...

Beamer
November 4, 2009, 01:32 PM
I was watching some of the highlights on NHL Network last night. Kessell looked good though he got his clock cleaned on that hit. I think Leafs will start winning more games.

Bancan
November 7, 2009, 07:22 PM
steve yzerman got a nice ovation here in Toronto.

Sohel bro, i hope you were watching.

Fazal
November 19, 2009, 09:41 PM
Is Capital is for REAL?

They are too much fun to watch though.

Akib
November 19, 2009, 10:34 PM
Its tough watching leafs games....

Fazal
December 8, 2009, 05:48 PM
Its a delight to watch Capitals now a days...

FagunerAgun
December 11, 2009, 12:35 PM
Leafs are playing 500+ games now a days.
Kessel is not that good, some nights he shows up, some nights he hybernates.
But the defenseman Francois Beauchemin is playing a better hockey.

Akib
December 11, 2009, 01:21 PM
He is just in a mini-slump right now. He was playing well a week ago. Plus he is young, and its not like there is anyone else of offensive competence in the team. Other teams know, they just need to shut down kessel, and leafs are like half done.

Bancan
December 16, 2009, 07:10 PM
Cmon people, great season so far. Are you guys not watching?

Beamer
December 17, 2009, 01:49 PM
Watching. Pens, Devils, Caps fighting for top spot in the East. One of them should represent the East in the Stanley Cups. Buffalo is a contender as well.

Chicago is playing great in the West. They have arrived.

cricman
December 17, 2009, 02:13 PM
The New York Gaboricks are :(

Maybe Next Year We can Trade Wade Redden and Drury and SIgn some other players ... Lundy thinking about Olympic Gold.

Beamer
December 17, 2009, 02:31 PM
The New York Gaboricks are :(

Maybe Next Year We can Trade Wade Redden and Drury and SIgn some other players ... Lundy thinking about Olympic Gold.

No sane franchise will take on their contracts however. What happened to Rangers this year ? Gaborik is a one man show. I have seen the Rangers a few times this year and it seems to me that your D-men are not good at moving the puck quickly. You guys need good Centermen. Imagine Gaborik playing with a star Center !

cricman
December 17, 2009, 02:45 PM
No sane franchise will take on their contracts however. What happened to Rangers this year ? Gaborik is a one man show. I have seen the Rangers a few times this year and it seems to me that your D-men are not good at moving the puck quickly. You guys need good Centermen. Imagine Gaborik playing with a star Center !

Torts Happened, He believes in No Defense but we don't have skill players so you know what that Adds up to.

After our next Loss Sather is finally getting Fired, 10 years in the Making but he's finally about to be gone

Beamer
December 17, 2009, 03:26 PM
Rangers defense is not bad IMO. They don't give up many goals. Having Lundquist doesn't hurt. I think your offense is what letting you down. Torts system is simmilar to Bylsma. Uptempo, D -men pinching up and more of a 5- man unit in Defense. But, for that to work, you need defensive commitment from eveybody to cover for D-men potentially out of position. Turnover can't happen in that system. You have to gain the red, dump softly in the corner, chase, cycle and basically play in the other teams offensive zone. Mobile D- men are very much the order of the day.

Sather on hot seat? Didn't know that. Flyers are in ruins ( much to my pleasure ). All sorts of rumors flying around. A divided locker room. It all started with Jeff Carter messing around with Hartnell's wife- as the rumor goes. Don't be surprised if one of them are out of town soon. They won't deal Carter, so Sasquatch is outta there..

cricman
December 17, 2009, 11:41 PM
Wade Redden a Healthy Scratch Tonight, Chris Drury relegated to the 4th Line ... About Time Torts.

Beamer
December 18, 2009, 02:50 PM
Wade Redden a Healthy Scratch Tonight, Chris Drury relegated to the 4th Line ... About Time Torts.

Nice win last night. The benching probably sent a short term message.

We just swept the home and home with Flyers. Finally we are healthy and a full squad available. Mad Max Talbot , the Game 7 superhero, a healthy scratch for the first time! Shouldn't be for long though. He just came off a summer surgery and only started playing late November. His timing is off and its difficult to hold on to a spot in this Pens squad.

Zeeshan
December 18, 2009, 05:14 PM
I don't have tv/cable in my home. :(

Beamer
December 19, 2009, 12:40 PM
I don't have tv/cable in my home. :(

Visit www.nhl.com for extended game highlights, including the Sharks and Ducks !

cricman
January 12, 2010, 11:30 PM
Henrik (45 Saves) and Marty (51 Saves) put on show today ... We lost :( not that upset

0-0 (1-0) Devils

Sweden/Canada Gold medal game Would be insane

Beamer
January 13, 2010, 12:54 PM
We are going through our annual Dec-Jan slump once again. If it continues one more month, we could be in real trouble. Our PP is last in the league! Malkin is going through the slump of his career. I expect us to make the playoffs though. The whole team looks tired. No other team has played more games than us ( and Detroit ) in last two years. The Olympic break couldn't come sooner.

FagunerAgun
January 31, 2010, 11:56 AM
Poor Leafs were eading the Canauks by three then lost by 3-5.

Fazal
February 1, 2010, 04:40 PM
ahh haa !!!!!

10 win in a row. How often does it happen?
Not only that, they are steam rolling most of them and eating them like cream roll.
Yes defence is an issue, but from the begining of the season till now their defence progressed from awfull to above average.

However its their offence who are in full throttle from the begining and still show no sign of slow down.

Looks like this may be the year....

if not (for any reason) it will be next year. the team is very young and loads of talent waiting in the wings.

Beamer
February 2, 2010, 11:35 AM
Caps are a scary team. Defense is much better now and the offense frankly shields any shortcomings by the sheer number of goals they score. They are running away with the no.1 seed in the East. A true contender for the Stanley Cup. It very well could be the year!

Sohel
February 9, 2010, 03:48 AM
Usually championship teams show their true colors in the playoffs, as long as they carry some sort of momentum into the postseason. Our current 27-10 with 10 OT wins accurately paints a picture we haven't seen a lot for decades, but hopefully the Mule's return will start building the momentum we need.

Franzen to return Tuesday vs. Blues
Monday, 02.08.2010 / 3:46 PM / News
By Michelle Crechiolo

DETROIT– After a four-month layoff, power forward Johan Franzen will make his much-awaited return to the Red Wings’ lineup Tuesday in St. Louis.

Franzen needed surgery to repair a torn left ACL suffered in the Wings’ home opener on Oct. 8. The projected recovery time for a significant injury like his, can take up to six months, but Franzen feels healthy and ready to get back to the grind.

“I’m really excited,” Franzen said. “I had a good practice today, and this was my first practice actually being in a line, so it was more fun. Hopefully with a good first game I can get some confidence, and hopefully feel good in the other games, too.”

Franzen has been an incredibly dominant force for the Wings, especially in the playoffs. During last season’s run to the Stanley Cup finals, he was second on the team with 23 points. His ability to generate offense also has his teammates anxiously awaiting his return.

“You’re talking about getting a player that is big, strong, and can dominate a hockey game,” Kris Draper said. “Right now, that’s something we’re certainly looking forward to having.

“Everyone’s seen him day in, day out, how hard he’s worked, off the ice and certainly on the ice. We’re thrilled to have him back in the lineup.”

While Wings coach Mike Babcock is as excited as anyone for Mule’s return, he warned against expecting too much, too soon from a player who has been removed from the speed, strength, and intensity of the NHL.

“The big thing is let’s not get our expectations out of whack,” Babcock said. “The guy hasn’t played since game three this year. That makes it hard for any player to get up to speed, and he’s going to be in a battle, but the thing about the Mule is he can shoot the puck, he’s a big, powerful guy, and ideally, he can help.”

There have been debates on whether Franzen should have waited to return after the Vancouver Olympics in order to get more rest. Franzen dispelled these arguments, saying he thinks it will be beneficial to play a few games for his body to gradually return to game shape.

“I think it will be good to get started here,” he said, “and then I will probably feel pretty bad, all my muscles will probably be sore, so get a good break in there and then I will be on the same page as the other guys are when we come back, hopefully.”

INJURY REPORT: The Red Wings will likely be without one defenseman and two forwards when they face off against the Blues at Scottrade Center on Tuesday.

“We’d like everyone to be at practice and be able to practice and know that they’re playing, that just hasn’t been the case for us,” Babcock said. “I’m hopeful that these guys are all returning tomorrow, I don’t know the answer to that though.”

Defenseman Nicklas Kronwall will more than likely miss Tuesday’s game to rest his troublesome knee. While he felt good in practice Monday, he is waiting for a different brace to come in that will make his knee “even more solid” and expects to play Thursday against Western Conference-leading San Jose.

“I can’t wait to get back in the lineup,” Kronwall commented.

Forward Patrick Eaves did not skate after a sustaining a sprained left ankle in Saturday’s loss in Los Angeles. Forward Tomas Holmstrom got on the ice for a short time, but left practice early. Both are doubtful for Tuesday.

Forward Drew Miller, who was questionable after taking a shot off his left ankle on Saturday, will dress against the Blues. He was apprehensive before hitting the ice for Monday’s practice, but all of his worries were alleviated once he began skating.

“I just didn’t know how it’d feel in the skate,” Miller said, “but I got out there and was able to go the whole practice, and it felt good, so I’m ready to go.”

TOLLEFSEN HEADS TO GR: Defenseman Ole-Kristian Tollefsen cleared waivers after the noon deadline passed on Monday, and will begin playing with Grand Rapids Griffins immediately.

In order to clear salary-cap space for Franzen’s return, the Wings acquired Tollefsen and a ffith-round draft pick in 2011 on Saturday from the Philadelphia Flyers in exchange for forward Ville Leino.

LINK (http://redwings.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=516811&navid=DL|DET|home)

Beamer
February 9, 2010, 11:22 AM
Last thing the Sharks want is a Red Wings team in the first round! I think Red Wings will move up to between 6-8 eventually, and once in, anything can happen.

I can't wait for Olympic hockey. It will be great.

AsifTheManRahman
February 9, 2010, 10:11 PM
Yesterday was a memorable day. Local boy and former Kitchener Ranger Nazem Kadri made his NHL debut. He was alright, didn't do anything special. The Leafs lost as usual.

AsifTheManRahman
February 9, 2010, 10:11 PM
Indeed indeed. :D

Beamer
February 9, 2010, 11:37 PM
Saw Billy Guerin at Wholefoods this evening. Shook his hands. Great guy.

Sohel
February 10, 2010, 03:20 AM
Last thing the Sharks want is a Red Wings team in the first round! I think Red Wings will move up to between 6-8 eventually, and once in, anything can happen.

I'm really looking forward to the Wankuwa (Indo-Pak/Ata pronunciation on local cable) Games also! Huge winter sports fan. As far as the Hockey is concerned: GO USA! GO CANADA! GO SWEDEN! ... in that order.

I'm happy to see the Sharks continue to do well. Better hockey culture in Northern California.

We were undone by the SO last night after rallying heroically. Pav looked the best I've seen him all season and the Mule looked healthy, logging a lot of ice time. Although we've lost 3 in a row, last night's fight gives me lots of hope for a top 8 finish going into the playoffs.

BTW Kariya is back! If he can retain this form, we're in for a treat from his Ducks days. Nobody slaps the puck at that speed without slowing down to a glide.

Beamer
February 10, 2010, 12:19 PM
Kariya could be traded at the deadline if Blues manage to fall behind. His salary is huge though. That might save him from getting traded. Rumor swirling of Teemu joining Pens ! We need wingers..

Sohel
February 11, 2010, 02:58 AM
Kariya could be traded at the deadline if Blues manage to fall behind. His salary is huge though. That might save him from getting traded. Rumor swirling of Teemu joining Pens ! We need wingers..

The Blues are serious underachievers.

Selanne is one of the greatest RWs ever and anyone could always use a player like him especially during the playoffs. Trying to contain him opens up opportunity for others to deliver also ... :)

I always fantasized about seeing Kariya and Selanne wearing the Winged Wheel. Don't see how Holland/Yzerman/Babcock can manage that.

Beamer
February 11, 2010, 11:30 AM
Kariya and Teemu were a deadly duo. They used to fly..

Capitals win streak comes to an end with 14 consecutive wins. Sigh of relief here! The '92 Pens record of 17 straight wins is still intact. However, Caps are the most dominating team I have seen in a long time. 5 goals is avg for them. Only concern from a Caps fan perspective could be that they peaked too early. I doubt it. They are driven this year..

FagunerAgun
February 13, 2010, 01:41 PM
Leafs are out of the playoffs! :sick:

FagunerAgun
February 13, 2010, 01:42 PM

Capitals win streak comes to an end with 14 consecutive wins. Sigh of relief here! The '92 Pens record of 17 straight wins is still intact. However, Caps are the most dominating team I have seen in a long time. 5 goals is avg for them. Only concern from a Caps fan perspective could be that they peaked too early. I doubt it. They are driven this year..
Yap. They played a gem of hockey.

Sohel
February 13, 2010, 11:40 PM

Playoffs are the true test of endurance, character and skill under lethal pressure. Caps did well in the playoffs last year, and if they've managed to learn something from that experience, they'll do better theoretically. The Pens did and won the Cup ... :)

Beamer
February 14, 2010, 01:59 PM
Sohel..The Boss has spoken.

http://www.thespec.com/News/BreakingNews/article/721724

Sohel
February 15, 2010, 12:27 AM
Sohel..The Boss has spoken.

http://www.thespec.com/News/BreakingNews/article/721724

Indeed bro ... :)

Winning the Cup changes things.

Sohel
March 2, 2010, 01:00 AM
Wings edge Avs to take eighth in West
Monday, 03.01.2010 / 11:31 PM
Rick Sadowski - NHL.com Correspondent

DENVER -- The Detroit Red Wings have sent a resounding message to the rest of the NHL: They’re ba-ack.

Back in the playoff picture, that is.

Nicklas Lidstrom’s power-play goal with 9:03 remaining in the third period broke a 2-2 tie Monday night and gave the Red Wings a 3-2 win over the Colorado Avalanche in a fast-paced game at the Pepsi Center.

The victory gave the defending Western Conference champions 70 points and moved them from 10th place to eighth, one point ahead of Calgary with 20 regular-season games to play.

The Avalanche, who had won five consecutive home games, remained in sixth place in the West. Colorado and Northwest Division-leading Vancouver each have 76 points, but the Canucks have two more wins (37-35) and have played one fewer game.

Lidstrom took a back pass from Pavel Datsyuk in the slot and fired the puck by an off-balance Avalanche goalie Craig Anderson, who was partially screened on the play.

Tomas Holmstrom picked up an assist on the goal, his third point of the night.

The Red Wings skated circles around the Avalanche in the first period and grabbed a 2-0 lead on goals by Holmstrom and Johan Franzen.

But the Avalanche came alive shortly after referee Kerry Fraser waved off an apparent Red Wings power-play goal at 6:28 of the second period, ruling Holmstrom made contact with Anderson, though no penalty was called.

The Avalanche responded with goals from rookie T.J. Galiardi and Chris Stewart, who scored 2:45 apart to tie the game 2-2.

Galiardi banged the rebound of Paul Stastny’s close-range shot behind goalie Jimmy Howard at 8:29. Stewart reached the 20-goal mark with a shot from below the left faceoff dot that skimmed between Howard’s pads at 11:14.

Anderson made a huge save against Franzen at 16:40. Franzen skated across the slot and had a wipe-open net to shoot at, but Anderson managed to extend his right pad while on his belly to deflect the puck away.

Holmstrom opened the scoring at 6:06 of the first period. He accepted a pass from Datsyuk while skating down the slot before flipping a high shot that beat Anderson to the stick side.

Franzen, playing in his seventh game after missing the first 55 to recover from major knee surgery, connected for a power-play goal at 12:40. Anderson made a save against Lidstrom and the puck caromed into the corner. Holmstrom gained possession and gave it to Franzen, who put a move on Anderson and beat him to the short side.

SOURCE (http://www.nhl.com/ice/recap.htm?id=2009020922)

Great, purposeful hockey from the Winged Wheel in yet another Wings-Avs classic! FINALLY healthy and ready to build momentum for the playoffs, we were obviously inspired by Stevie and Babcock's success with Team Canada.

Beamer
March 3, 2010, 11:05 AM
I went to the Pens-Sabres last night. Ryan Miller got a standing ovation ( he didn't play ), as did Orpik and all the other Olympians.

Trade Deadline today :
Pens acquired Jordan Leopold ( D ) from Florida for a second rounder.
Last night we also got our target, Alex Ponikarovsky for Luca Caputi ( a great prospect from W/BS baby pens ) from Maple Leafs. He is the winger that Geno needs so badly. Good moves so far by Ray Shero. Maybe, one more to come by 3 p.m today. Nashville Predators have great D men. We might try there.

Sohel
March 4, 2010, 01:37 AM
Saw that on the nhl.com TV. Must have been fun :)

Lost to the Canucks last night. Can't win with 4 answered goals in the second. We need to come out and set the tone rather than play catch-up.

We traded Kris Newbury to NYR for Jordan Owens. Owens is expected to contribute to our third line centered by either Helm or Abdel Kader, if he finds his way back into the playoff lineup at some point. A minor move looking ahead to the future seasons no doubt.

Beamer
March 4, 2010, 11:03 AM
Yea..it was fun. Going to games are always fun.

AsifTheManRahman
March 4, 2010, 11:13 AM
Heard Miller got the loudest cheer at the introductions, followed by Sid?

Play in one of the highest profile games in the world on a Sunday night, hop on the plane Monday morning and back to work on Tuesday. Sweet.

Beamer
March 4, 2010, 12:15 PM
Miller got the loudest cheer and a standing ovation, followed by Orpik. The Russian duo got some cheer as well. Now, Sid got some cheers, not even close to what Miller got, and some even booed!
lol..They had to show his GWG in the jumbotron, and the Red-White and Blue faithful didn't like that.

But, all changed when Sid got the first assist on Gonchar's goal, and the roof was raised when they announced his name. Fans are fans..

I should be going to a few more games from here till the playoffs. I was at the Game 6 of SCF last year, the best game I have ever been to. I was sweating the whole game.

AsifTheManRahman
March 4, 2010, 01:29 PM
We want pictures!

Beamer
March 4, 2010, 01:42 PM
I didn't log a camera with me last game. Went to game straight from work ( couple of blocks from Mellon ). I will take it next game. You can see it on FB.

Bancan
March 4, 2010, 06:07 PM
I didn't log a camera with me last game. Went to game straight from work ( couple of blocks from Mellon ). I will take it next game. You can see it on FB.

What about the ones (me) who dont have you fb? No love? :(

Beamer
March 5, 2010, 12:19 PM
What about the ones (me) who dont have you fb? No love? :(

You got it. Just send a friend invite. Asif can help..

Sohel
March 5, 2010, 11:34 PM
Yea..it was fun. Going to games are always fun.

Definitely! One cannot truly appreciate the game until he/she is physically at the game. I always found both hockey and lacrosse to be so much more live.

On a different note. Something weird has happened to the Mule ever since he has been back from injury. He has become quite the finesse player! I saw hints of that at the Olympics ...

Check out the graceful stick handling here (the second goal). Who would have thought?

<object width="480" height="295"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Fy76dZipXP8&hl=en_US&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Fy76dZipXP8&hl=en_US&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="480" height="295" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

The Saint hit his 800th assist mark during the comprehensive win against the Predlies. Pav scored a typically classy goal.

<object width="640" height="383" id="embed" classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000"><param name="movie" value="http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/embed.swf" /><param name="quality" value="high" /><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /><param name="flashVars" value="catid=35&id=61864&server=http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/&pageurl=http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/&nlwa=http://app2.neulion.com/videocenter/nhl/" /><embed name="embed" pluginspage="http://www.adobe.com/go/getflashplayer" src="http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/embed.swf" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="640" height="383" quality="high" allowFullScreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" flashVars="catid=35&id=61864&server=http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/&pageurl=http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/&nlwa=http://app2.neulion.com/videocenter/nhl/"></embed></object>

Looking forward to Chicago game on Sunday. Good to have an old Original Six rivalry revived like this. Bowman worked his magic with the Habs, the Pens and the Wings, and now with a group of great young players he and his son are doing the same in Chicago.

Sohel
March 6, 2010, 06:26 AM
The coolest approach I've seen in a while.

Comment by Zetterbergfan on March 5, 2010 5:56 pm

Is Zetterberg Overpaid?

At a salary cap hit of 6.08 million dollars a year, are the Detroit Red Wings over-paying Henrik Zetterberg? The question has come up a lot recently in blogs and forums. With the Wings barely holding onto the 8th and final playoff position in the Western Conference, fans and critics are looking at Zetterberg and Datsyuk to “earn their paychecks” and carry the team into the post-season.

Let me start by saying that Datsyuk and Zetterberg lead the team in goals and points. Datsyuk has 17 goals/ 52 points in 61 games (.85 points per game.) Zetterberg has 17 goals/ 50 points in 55 games (.91 points per game.) Datsyuk is well off of his career .98 points per game average. Z is only .02 off of his career .93 points per game. While Henrik is on pace for just 22 goals, 44 assists, and 66 points in 74 games, his career average is only 29 goals, 36 assists, and 65 points a season. So, the perceived drop-off is based on expectations set by Zetterberg’s performances in the 2005-06 and 2007-08 seasons.

It’s pretty fair to say higher expectations were set when Detroit signed Hank to a 12-year/ 73 million dollar contract last year. Everyone expects Zetterberg to get 30+ goals and 75+ points a year. Based on these expectations, he isn’t producing what they are paying him for. But, is he really overpaid?

To answer the question I decided to do some research. I took a list of the top 50 points leaders amongst NHL forwards so far this season and merged it with a list of the top 50 highest paid (salary cap hit) NHL forwards this year. It ends up being a list of 80 forwards. I wanted to see how much money these guys were making per point. The average dollars per point equals $105,000. Amazing how much these guys are getting paid!

Zetterberg is the 28th highest paid per point at $122,000. So, he is paid more than the average. That being said, Z’s .91 points per game is better than 28 of the 52 forwards that get paid less per point. So, on the average, Henrik gets paid about the same as other elite players producing the same as him.

Zetteberg’s $ per point is comparable to: Jerome Iginla, Jason Pominville, Jason Arnott, and Andy McDonald. Z’s points-per-game is better than all of them.

Zetterberg’s 50 points are equal to: Stephen Weiss, Bobby Ryan, Jussi Jokinen, and Maxim Afinogenov. Z’s points-per-game is better than all of them.

Zetterberg’s .91 points-per-game is comparable to: Marian Hossa, Paul Stastny, Nik Antropov, Vinny Lecavalier, and Jarome Iginla. Z’s $-per-point is better than Hossa, Lecavalier, and Iginla.

Zetterberg has the 24th highest salary cap hit amongst NHL forwards. He is getting paid less-per-point than eleven players who earn more per year.

LINK (http://hockeytownblog.com/2010/03/05/around-the-rink-march-5-edition/)

Beamer
March 6, 2010, 10:33 AM
Sohel

I saw that goal by Mule. I believe that was the first game right after Olympics. He has great soft hands for a big man. He is easily one of the best power forwards in the league.

Zetterberg is great two way player. Believe me, we know all about it. His point production may not be up to par this year, but players like him are money players in playoffs. He has a great playoff record. There are some 'supposedly' great players, like Joe Thornton, who just can't produce in playoffs. Our two twin superstars are great in regular season and playoffs ( thats why they are great ). They have both crossed 60 point mark in career playoffs games already ( 22 and 23 yrs old! ), already more than Thornton.

I was reading this article the other day : Red Wings and Pens in last two years have played 45 more games ( two stanley cup runs ), on top of two 82 games season. That is two and a half season worth. That is a lot of games.

Sohel
March 7, 2010, 09:23 PM
Great game. Coming back from 0-2 to lead 5-2 and then hang on to get the 5-4 win in Chicago showed a number of things we needed to see going into the playoffs. 3 out of 4 Ws since the Olympic break with only one bad game is the building the momentum we need. Great to have our guys healthy and ready to go. Not sure how Jimmy Howard will do in the playoffs but he has been the go-to-guy for us this season.

Pav doing what he does best! Take it away and score:

<object width="640" height="383" id="embed" classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000"><param name="movie" value="http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/embed.swf" /><param name="quality" value="high" /><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /><param name="flashVars" value="catid=35&id=62002&server=http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/&pageurl=http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/&nlwa=http://app2.neulion.com/videocenter/nhl/" /><embed name="embed" pluginspage="http://www.adobe.com/go/getflashplayer" src="http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/embed.swf" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="640" height="383" quality="high" allowFullScreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" flashVars="catid=35&id=62002&server=http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/&pageurl=http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/&nlwa=http://app2.neulion.com/videocenter/nhl/"></embed></object>

The game against Iginla and the Flames will be a scorcher as always.

Sohel
March 9, 2010, 09:42 PM
We lost 2-4! The Flames, led by Iginla as usual from the front, turned it up a notch and we failed to match them in the final period. Fading away in the third is an issue we have to rectify BEFORE going into the playoffs. We need to get to the puck first, get good cycles going down low and finish whatever secondary chances we get in the third. Pav's not getting the support he needs in the final period.

We're in 9th place now. The Flames took the 8th place away from us.

Beamer
March 9, 2010, 09:53 PM
You will make it. Can't win every game. Nashville plays hard, but Red Wings should move past them shortly.

Beamer
March 11, 2010, 10:44 AM
Can't believe that NHL didn't suspend our Matt Cooke for that hit on Savard. It was a dirty hit. Cooke is a dirty player and he has a long history of this. The failure to suspend such hits ( including the one by Richards on Booth ) on technicality is a dark spot on the league. Now, the NHL essentially put a bounty on Crosby and Malkin when we face Bruins next week. I won't blame them if some one goes after the head of our star player, as Cooke did on their star player. Can't wait for us to get rid of this bum next year. He is going to hurt us in playoffs as well. Refs will watch him closely and reputations go far in this league. Penalties will be called on him regardless if he is guilty or not.

Sohel
March 12, 2010, 12:20 AM
We needed that 5-1 victory. The Mule continues score and we seemed to have fixed the final period slump bothering us all.

Red Wings 5, Wild 1
Associated Press

DETROIT (AP) -The Detroit Red Wings started and finished strong.

Johan Franzen scored twice, and Henrik Zetterberg had a goal and two assists in Detroit's 5-1 victory over the Minnesota Wild on Thursday night.

Tomas Holmstrom added a goal and an assist, and Drew Miller also scored for Detroit, which at least temporarily, moved into the eighth and final Western Conference playoff spot. Jimmy Howard made 21 saves.

The Red Wings have sometimes started slowly this season and have blown a few third-period leads.

"I thought we got started on time and played 60 minutes," Detroit coach Mike Babcock said.

The Red Wings lost 4-2 to Calgary on Tuesday night at Joe Louis Arena. They let a 2-1 third-period lead slip away in that game.

"We thought about that and made sure we didn't make any mistakes," Franzen said. "We always had three guys back."

Andrew Ebbett scored for Minnesota, and Josh Harding stopped 25 shots.

"They were digging for the puck, going in there with speed," Wild captain Mikko Koivu said. "And we were going the other way."

Detroit led 3-1 after the first period.

Franzen opened the scoring 2:25 into the game when his slap shot from the top of the right circle bounced in off of Harding's arm for Franzen's sixth goal.

Holmstrom's power-play goal made it 2-0, 9:19 into the first period when his slap shot from the left point deflected in off the skate of Minnesota defenseman Nick Schultz. It was Holmstrom's 19th goal. Zetterberg got his 19th just 56 seconds later when he scored from the lip of the crease.

Detroit moved usual third-line center Valtteri Filppula up to the second line to play left wing along with Zetterberg at center and right wing Dan Cleary in an attempt to get Zetterberg going. Jason Williams moved down to the third line with Todd Bertuzzi and Miller, who switched from a wing to center. Apparently, it worked

"I always put pressure on myself," Zetterberg said. "I try not to care what other people are saying. You just have to believe in yourself and keep going and do the best you can."

Ebbett put the Wild on the board with only 11 seconds left in the opening period when his pass from the corner deflected in off the skate of Detroit defenseman Brad Stuart's skate for Ebbett's seventh goal.

"They came out and smacked us early," Minnesota center Kyle Brodziak said. "Jumped out to a 3-0 lead. Such a good team to try and come back on."

Miller's short-handed goal with 7:02 left in the second period made it 4-1. The rebound of Filppula's shot from the lip of the cease bounced in off Miller's body for his eighth goal and first short-handed effort of his career.

"It hit him in the shoulder, bounced and hit me in the stomach," Miller said. "It looked like it was going to hit my stick in my hands but it was too late. Luckily, it went off my stomach and went in."

Franzen scored his second with 5:17 left.

LINK (http://redwings.nhl.com/club/recap.htm?id=2009020996)

<object width="640" height="383" id="embed" classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000"><param name="movie" value="http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/embed.swf" /><param name="quality" value="high" /><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /><param name="flashVars" value="hlg=20092010,2,996&server=http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/&pageurl=http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/&nlwa=http://app2.neulion.com/videocenter/nhl/" /><embed name="embed" pluginspage="http://www.adobe.com/go/getflashplayer" src="http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/embed.swf" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="640" height="383" quality="high" allowFullScreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" flashVars="hlg=20092010,2,996&server=http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/&pageurl=http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/&nlwa=http://app2.neulion.com/videocenter/nhl/"></embed></object>

Beamer
March 12, 2010, 10:23 AM
^^^ Calgary also won last night. The flip-flopping of positioning between these two ( or three, depending on Nashville ) should go down to wire.

Beamer
March 12, 2010, 12:19 PM
Since Sohel has turned this thread into Red Wings media outlet, I thought I would do the same, except these thoughts are coming from an enemy camp!

http://www.nj.com/devils/index.ssf/2010/03/nj_devils_goalie_martin_brodeu_9.html

Only Sohel and I following the season or what? Where are our resident NHL fans? Habs are doing great. Rangers are still in the mix. Where are the fans, yo !

AsifTheManRahman
March 12, 2010, 02:17 PM
I'm still watching bits and pieces, but again, you can only gloat so much when you're stuck with the Maple Leafs. Maybe I'll become a more professional fan and favor success over geographical location. So what will it be - the Penguins, the Red Wings or the Canucks? :D

Beamer
March 12, 2010, 02:35 PM
Leafs fan can not root for Red Wings. No way. Canucks? You like a team led by Swedish sisters? No. Only one choice left for you. You must root for the team that has Mr. Canada golden boy on it. Need I say more?

AsifTheManRahman
March 12, 2010, 03:50 PM
Well a second Stanley Cup win for Canada Man would be nice...

Beamer
March 12, 2010, 03:56 PM
Well a second Stanley Cup win for Canada Man would be nice...
That would be great. But, I have a feeling someone else wins this year.

Sohel
March 13, 2010, 09:37 PM
Beat the Sabres 3-2.

Great game with playoff intensity. Could've gone either way in a duel between two excellent American goalies. Ryan Miller is definitely the new Richter/Vanbiesbrouck. Continues his amazing run of form all season, through the Olympics and now heading into the playoffs. Our Drew Miller is his brother BTW. Both grew up playing hockey in East Lansing, Michigan.

Luckily Rafalski came through for us with a 4 on 3 PPG in OT. A must win game in Calgary on Monday.

Red Wings top Sabres 3-2 in OT
Saturday, 03.13.2010 / 11:29 PM
John Kreiser - NHL.com Columnist

The crowd at Joe Louis Arena gave a warm pregame reception to Buffalo goaltender Ryan Miller, a Michigan native, Michigan State alum and the MVP of the Olympic hockey tournament.

They were even happier when the Sabres' game against the Detroit Red Wings ended the same way the Olympic gold medal game did -- with Miller's team losing in overtime. Brian Rafalski, Miller's teammate on the U.S. Olympic squad, scored a power-play goal 31 seconds into overtime to give the Wings a 3-2 victory over the Sabres on Saturday night.

"Every point is crucial," said Rafalski, whose four goals helped get Team USA to the title game. "I'm glad we got two."

Miller's parents had divided loyalties -- Ryan's younger brother Drew is a forward for the Wings.

"Actually, they're probably happy with the result," Ryan Miller said. "Drew's team needed the points more than we did and we still got a point."

READ MORE (http://www.nhl.com/ice/recap.htm?id=2009021011&navid=DL|NHL|home)

<object width="640" height="383" id="embed" classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000"><param name="movie" value="http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/embed.swf" /><param name="quality" value="high" /><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /><param name="flashVars" value="hlg=20092010,2,1011&server=http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/&pageurl=http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/&nlwa=http://app2.neulion.com/videocenter/nhl/" /><embed name="embed" pluginspage="http://www.adobe.com/go/getflashplayer" src="http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/embed.swf" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="640" height="383" quality="high" allowFullScreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" flashVars="hlg=20092010,2,1011&server=http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/&pageurl=http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/&nlwa=http://app2.neulion.com/videocenter/nhl/"></embed></object>

Sohel
March 13, 2010, 10:22 PM
I'm still watching bits and pieces, but again, you can only gloat so much when you're stuck with the Maple Leafs. Maybe I'll become a more professional fan and favor success over geographical location. So what will it be - the Penguins, the Red Wings or the Canucks? :D

You don't have to be a homer, bro.

The traditional hatred between the Red Wings (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Detroit_Red_Wings) and the Maple Leafs is unique, and second only to the one between the Habs and the Leafs from the Original Six (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Original_Six) years. Even secondary rivalries such as Wings-Hawks, now being revived, were also impacted by that.

The Leafs have been sucking since winning the Cup in 1967 but that didn't mitigate their arrogance and misguided thinking at all over the years. I grew up listening to "Dead Wings" jokes from those fools even when they were Cupless just as much as we were. Then we drafted Yzerman and later Scottie Bowman turned him into the premier two-way player he became under his championship system (Cups with Habs, Pens, Wings and in the near future, the Hawks), and we never looked back.

The Leafs, on the other hand, continue to suck and stew in the delusion of "just two years away from winning the Cup" ... :floor:

Traditionally Wings fans supported the Habs as their second favorites and the Leafs fans the Hawks simply out of spite. In recent years, the Wings-Avalanche rivalry* came close to matching that intensity. Other than these special cases, there has always been a great deal of respect between cup winning teams, and for their key players. Guys like Forsberg and Sakic (Avs), Stevens, Marty and Niedermayer (Devils), and more recently Malkin and Fleury (Pens) are deeply admired in Detroit despite heartbreaking losses to their teams over the years.

Rivalry with the Colorado Avalanche

In 1996, the Colorado Avalanche met the Detroit Red Wings in the Western Conference Finals and won the series 4–2. During game six, as Red Wings player Kris Draper was skating toward the bench, he was checked into the boards face-first by Avalanche player Claude Lemieux. As a result, Draper had to undergo facial reconstructive surgery, and had to have his jaw wired shut for five weeks. After the incident, Lemieux received many threats from Red Wings players and fans, including goalie Chris Osgood. The incident marked the beginning of a rivalry often considered one of the most intense in the NHL by the press and fans.

In the following season, in the last regular season meeting between the Avalanche and the Red Wings on March 26, 1997, a brawl known as Brawl in Hockeytown broke out. The game ended with nine fights, 11 goals, 39 penalties, 148 penalty minutes, one hat-trick (by Valeri Kamensky) and a goalie fight between Stanley Cup champion goalies Patrick Roy and Mike Vernon. Claude Lemieux was one of the players singled out by the Red Wings players. The Red Wings ended up winning the game in overtime 6–5. The teams met again in the Conference Finals that season, with the Red Wings emerging victorious, and going on to win the Stanley Cup.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/hcRWiZN8FdA&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/hcRWiZN8FdA&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/oz4udKvoh2Q&hl=en_US&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/oz4udKvoh2Q&hl=en_US&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="344" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

The rivalry between the Avalanche and the Red Wings was most intense from 1996 to 2002. During those seven seasons the two teams played five post-season series against each other in the Stanley Cup playoffs, with the Avalanche winning three of the series and the Red Wings winning two of them. During this timeframe these two teams combined for a total of five Stanley Cup championships in seven years, the Avalanche winning twice (1996 and 2001) and the Red Wings winning three times (1997, 1998, and 2002). After 2002 the rivalry between the two teams began to cool; it would be another six years before the Avalanche and the Red Wings would meet again in post-season play.

Sohel
March 15, 2010, 12:41 AM
Wonderful comeback by the Pens. Always good to see Vinny score but Fleury had the better of him.

Gonchar is one class act who comes through with clutch PPGs. Has been ever since he, Bondra and Kolzig took the Caps to the SCF in 1998.

<object width="640" height="383" id="embed" classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000"><param name="movie" value="http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/embed.swf" /><param name="quality" value="high" /><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /><param name="flashVars" value="hlg=20092010,2,1020&server=http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/&pageurl=http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/&nlwa=http://app2.neulion.com/videocenter/nhl/" /><embed name="embed" pluginspage="http://www.adobe.com/go/getflashplayer" src="http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/embed.swf" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="640" height="383" quality="high" allowFullScreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" flashVars="hlg=20092010,2,1020&server=http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/&pageurl=http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/&nlwa=http://app2.neulion.com/videocenter/nhl/"></embed></object>

Beamer
March 15, 2010, 11:37 AM
Good road win for us, but we have lost Malkin probably for a while. It has been a season of injuries for him. Everybody suspects that he is carrying a shoulder injury since October. Missed a lot of games, but hasn't been at his usual dominating self all season long. The velocity of his shot is missing kudos to the shoulder. Yesterday he took a slap shot to the ankle from teammate Letang and didn't return. Bone bruise is the prognosis. I think Pens need to give him some rest to heal. We need a fresh Malkin for playoffs. We ain't going anywhere without that special guy 100%, though I doubt he will be 100% for the remainder of the year. One of those frustarting years for him.

Flames-Wings tonight. I think its on Versus. I have to check the schedule. Will be watching that game for sure.

Beamer
March 15, 2010, 01:11 PM
http://www.pittsburghpostgazette.com/pg/10074/1043009-61.stm

Thank You God..

Sohel
March 15, 2010, 08:01 PM
Glad to hear that Malkin is OK. Crosby had a close call also. Playoffs need the best players at their best and I'd hate to see anything else.

2 game ban on Ovechkin? NHL is way too lenient.

Will miss the game and day 5 too. Business meetings that couldn't be postponed any longer.

Beamer
March 15, 2010, 10:07 PM
Boy..that was a tough hit on Campbell. NHL is lenient with stars. That has always been the case. I just don't know why Cooke wasn't suspended. They cited the incident with Richards-Booth, and Richards wasn't punished. The hits are exactly same. However, two wrongs don't make it right.

Calgary up 1-0 after 2nd.

Sohel
March 15, 2010, 10:09 PM
Bogus penalty shot called against Jason Williams but Howard did his job! Then Pav scores the PPG to tie the game at 1-1 after two.

MK, originally a Sharks prospect from Finland, has been outstanding for the Flames in goal.

Beamer
March 15, 2010, 10:12 PM
Dude..Mikael Samuelsen is lighting it up for Vancouver these days. We should have never traded him..

Sohel
March 15, 2010, 10:24 PM
True that. Sammy helped us win the cup and is a fan favorite. Excellent player but we looked ahead by signing the Mule and Val.

Sohel
March 15, 2010, 11:36 PM
2-1 road win.

Critical points for us. Homer comes through with less than 2 left in the game and Jimmy Howard made clutch saves as usual.

<object width="640" height="383" id="embed" classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000"><param name="movie" value="http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/embed.swf" /><param name="quality" value="high" /><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /><param name="flashVars" value="hlg=20092010,2,1027&server=http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/&pageurl=http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/&nlwa=http://app2.neulion.com/videocenter/nhl/" /><embed name="embed" pluginspage="http://www.adobe.com/go/getflashplayer" src="http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/embed.swf" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="640" height="383" quality="high" allowFullScreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" flashVars="hlg=20092010,2,1027&server=http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/&pageurl=http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/&nlwa=http://app2.neulion.com/videocenter/nhl/"></embed></object>

Beamer
March 16, 2010, 01:03 PM
Flames are in danger of missing the playoffs. Nashville are a mentally tough team that knows and plays within its limitation. I don't think they will miss out. I can see Red Wings moving up to seven, maybe even six, but Flames are in danger zone. I like that team a lot, but if they fail to make it, they have only themselves to blame.

Sohel
March 16, 2010, 09:21 PM
I like the Flames too. Also other Western Canadian teams. Always 110% effort on the ice. It would be a shame not see Iginla in the playoffs. Incredible players like him always turn it up a notch when the time comes.

I'm just glad we're healthy for once and been playing 3 solid periods of Red Wings hockey last two games. We need to continue to do so going into the playoffs and build from there. Losing to the Pens in the SCF, yes game 7 at the Joe, was a blessing in disguise for us. We thought of ourselves as somewhat invincible in the SCF since losing to the Devils in '95 and stopped doing all the little things right from start to finish. Malkin, Fleury and your blueliners were hungrier and exploited that complacency. Not a lot of complacency but just enough to emerge as the better team and take the Cup to Beamerville, PA.

We will be more disciplined if we make it to the finals again.

Sohel
March 17, 2010, 02:35 AM
Great games coming up to prepare us well for the playoffs. Oilers, Vancouver, Pens (H), Sharks (H), Minnesota (H), Nashville and the Oilers (H) again. Just play Red Wings hockey for all three periods and let the chips fall where they may. Sharks or Hawks in the first round sounds delicious.

Red Wings catch fire at right time
Tuesday, 03.16.2010 / 2:56 PM / News
By Phil Coffey

Red Wings fans who tuned in Monday night to see Detroit in action against the Calgary Flames couldn't help but say, "Now those are the real Red Wings."

Tomas Holmstrom re-directing a Johan Franzen shot with 1:19 left to secure a vital win is indeed what Wings fans have come to expect over the years, and the two points were huge in the standings as they opened a three-point cushion on Calgary and closed within one point of Nashville for the seventh seed in the West.

"It was such a huge win to gain two points on them, but we still can't relax," captain Nicklas Lidstrom told Helene St. James of the Detroit Free Press. "It's going to be tough from here on in, but this was a big win for us."

For sure, but being included in the top eight is a lot easier than being on the outside looking in.

The victory against the Flames was the Red Wings' third straight, their first such streak since the middle of December.

"It's a good win for us," coach Mike Babcock said. "If we play good, we're going to get into the playoffs, so that's what we try to do. What I like is, I think we've won seven of our last nine. It looks like we're going in the right direction."

HOLLAND EYES HUDLER: Detroit GM Ken Holland told the Detroit Free Press he hasn't given up on the idea of seeing Jiri Hudler back in a Wings uniform.

Hudler left Detroit this season for a lucrative contact in Russia, but may have a clause to return to the NHL.

Hudler had 19 goals and 35 assists in 54 games this season, but struggled in the KHL playoffs.

"His agent tells me he has a two-year contract, but it includes an option to get out after the first year," Holland said. "I asked Jiri about it a month ago, and he said he doesn't know if he has that out clause or not. Now, I don't know if he was playing possum or what, but I've expressed to him we'd like to have him back, and (coach) Mike Babcock has been in communication with Jiri. We've both told him we'd like him back."

AROUND THE CENTRAL: The Red Wings as a whole are heating up, but Todd Bertuzzi (no goals in 18 games) and Dan Cleary (1 goal in 13 games) are slumping big time. "It's frustrating," Bertuzzi told the Detroit Free Press. "It's a little different when you only play 10-13 minutes, but I have to shoot more." … Predators goalie Pekka Rinne was named the NHL's Third Star of the Week after going 2-0-0 with a 1.44 goals-against average, .943 save percentage and one shutout in three road appearances. … At least Jan Hejda got to fulfil a dream by playing in the Olympics because the rest of the season has been a nightmare for the Columbus Blue Jackets defenseman. A sprained right knee suffered against the Edmonton Oilers may cost him the rest of the season.

LINK (http://redwings.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=521595)

Beamer
March 17, 2010, 10:47 AM
I didn't notice any complacency from Wings in the SCF. Seriously, when we were down 0-2 in the series, I thought it was all over like the year before. Then, after we tied the series 2-2, came the debacle of game 5, and I was gutted and petrified by the fact that you are around for another year to torment me! I think the Red Wings have a better chance to go to SCF this year than Pens. The way Capitals are playing, I don't think anyone from the East can stop that mchine. They are a serious machine.

AsifTheManRahman
March 17, 2010, 10:20 PM
So they're finally getting rid of the head shot. About time. I like hockey for its physical aspect, but enough is enough. At the end of the day, it's just a game.

Sohel
March 18, 2010, 12:16 AM
Hockey will always be speed, aggression and physicality tempered by supreme skill, the Zenlike ability to manipulate time (slowing things down in your alert mind and relaxed heart) and execute, and doing it all on skates at 30+ MPH! A clean, open ice hit to separate your opponent from the puck is physical enough.

Deliberate headshots or boarding with clearly malicious intent is nothing short of cowardly abomination in a sport that allows fighting with consequences.

Beamer
March 18, 2010, 10:45 AM
D-Day is here. Boston is waiting to take revenge. I am not sure why we played the way we did last night vs Devils, but maybe, they were looking towards today. In any case, it was one of the most uninspired, defensive hockey that we played this season. We kept turning the puck over in our zone by the D-men and Devils kept walking in on breakaways. I believe they had five breakaways by 2nd period ! Terrible. This years team coast too much. I am not sure what it is. They are lacking focus. Last year we had to climb from the tenth spot in Feb to the fourth come playoff time. That desperation play earned us the cup IMO. This year, we never were in danger of missing the playoffs, and the recent play clearly shows. Something gotta give. Malkin is unavailable again..

Fazal
March 18, 2010, 03:18 PM
Caps plays even better without their superstar captian.

Ekdom fata fati aubostha...gaols comes in Hali...

AsifTheManRahman
March 18, 2010, 11:00 PM
Local boy Mitchell wins it for the Maple Leafs! Devils go down in shoot out.

Beamer
March 19, 2010, 10:40 AM
^^^ Thanks for beating the Devils. Everybody can beat them, except us ! They have our number this season. Don't want to see them in playoffs. How is Caputi playing for you guys?

Habs are playing best hockey in the East, after Caps.

As I expected, my team was looking towards the Boston game when we played Jersey. Big tame response from the big bad Bruins! We shut them out in revenge game. Hopefully Malkin comes back tomorrow against Canes. If not, Monday vs Red Wings.

Beamer
March 19, 2010, 10:41 AM
Caps plays even better without their superstar captian.

Ekdom fata fati aubostha...gaols comes in Hali...

Caps are scary. Easily the best team in the league.

Sohel
March 19, 2010, 08:53 PM
The Oilers come flying out! We trail 0-2, being outshot 1-9 within the first 5 minutes of the first! Babcock is forced to take a timeout and regroup. Can't let this one get away from us with 55 minutes left in the game.

Good test of character and experience in the opposition's building with the Flames breathing down our backs after beating the Sharks.The Sharks are playing like toothless sucklefish in front of the goal. Can't score and fading fast.

Sohel
March 19, 2010, 09:27 PM
We trail 0-2 after 1. Critical second period coming up for us. The Oilers are 9-1 when leading after 1. They know how to defend a lead although don't lead very often. Drew Miller continues to play well as Center.

Sohel
March 19, 2010, 09:55 PM
Patrick Eaves scores as sustained pressure from all 4 lines begin to pay off! Still trailing 1-2 with less than 8 left in the 2nd. Great team defense from the Oilers, no penalties either.

Sohel
March 19, 2010, 10:29 PM
Beautifully fast paced game with wonderful team defense from the Oilers. Sticks in the shooting lanes when the angle's not being taken away.

Sohel
March 19, 2010, 10:47 PM
Both Howard and Dubnyk are playing well with great defensive coverage in front of them. Lebda has begun to come of age and Howard is just awesome. Definitely a couple of keepers there, both Americans too! With Miller and in the near future Abdel Kader in the team, we'll have some of the best American players in the NHL in a couple of years.

Sohel
March 19, 2010, 10:58 PM
Rafalski SCORES with .1 seconds to go in the game! 2-2 and we go to OT. Dubnyk and the 90s Devils-like defense solved for once.

Sohel
March 19, 2010, 11:19 PM
Dubnyk prevails in a great goalies duel. Does one better by stopping Val in the SO win after Howard makes the must-save to keep us alive. Great game with playoff intensity as Dubnyk steals one.

The point ties us with the Flames for 8th place.

Sohel
March 20, 2010, 05:46 AM
Great stuff from Dubnyk and Howard. Worth a post.

<object width="640" height="383" id="embed" classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000"><param name="movie" value="http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/embed.swf" /><param name="quality" value="high" /><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /><param name="flashVars" value="hlg=20092010,2,1055&server=http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/&pageurl=http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/&nlwa=http://app2.neulion.com/videocenter/nhl/" /><embed name="embed" pluginspage="http://www.adobe.com/go/getflashplayer" src="http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/embed.swf" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="640" height="383" quality="high" allowFullScreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" flashVars="hlg=20092010,2,1055&server=http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/&pageurl=http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/&nlwa=http://app2.neulion.com/videocenter/nhl/"></embed></object>

Sohel
March 21, 2010, 09:29 AM
Important OT win in Vancouver before hosting the Pens. We're definitely coming together WELL. Down 0-2 in the first, up 3-2 at the end of second, tied at 3-3 and then winning 4-3 in OT as Hank scored the GWG with .2 seconds remaining in the game. Great stuff. Loungo kept it close with some clutch saves but couldn't steal the game like Dubnyk in Edmonton. Good to see Bertuzzi score at long last!

Red Wings 4, Canucks 3, OT
Associated Press

VANCOUVER, British Columbia (AP) -Down by a couple of goals, missing a couple of forwards and playing for the second straight night, the Detroit Red Wings never stopped coming at the Vancouver Canucks.

If they want to make the playoffs for a 19th straight season, they will have to repeat that night after night.

Henrik Zetterberg scored as the overtime buzzer sounded to lift the Red Wings to a dramatic 4-3 victory over the Canucks.

"I didn't know how much time was left, but it was enough," said Zetterberg, who took Detroit's 54th shot.

He peeled out of the corner around defenseman Christian Ehrhoff, who had to drop a broken stick, and skated into the slot before lifting a backhand over the left shoulder of Roberto Luongo as time ran out.

Detroit moved two points ahead of ninth-place Calgary for the final playoff spot in the Western Conference playoff race with 11 games left.

"We wanted the win. We needed the points. If we don't get the points, we don't get in the postseason," Zetterberg said. "We just keep going as long as we need to."

That's been a recurring theme of late for Detroit. The Red Wings tied Friday's game in Edmonton with less than a second left in regulation before losing in a shootout, and beat Calgary on Monday with a goal in the final minute.

"Desperation has really showed," captain Nicklas Lidstrom said. "It says we really want to be in the playoffs. We know the situation we're in. We know teams around us are battling to make it, as well. Calgary is right behind us, and it was a huge two points for us."

READ MORE (http://redwings.nhl.com/club/recap.htm?id=2009021066)

<object width="640" height="383" id="embed" classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000"><param name="movie" value="http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/embed.swf" /><param name="quality" value="high" /><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /><param name="flashVars" value="hlg=20092010,2,1066&server=http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/&pageurl=http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/&nlwa=http://app2.neulion.com/videocenter/nhl/" /><embed name="embed" pluginspage="http://www.adobe.com/go/getflashplayer" src="http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/embed.swf" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="640" height="383" quality="high" allowFullScreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" flashVars="hlg=20092010,2,1066&server=http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/&pageurl=http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/&nlwa=http://app2.neulion.com/videocenter/nhl/"></embed></object>

Also a good article here: Franzen has played vital role in Datsyuk's rebirth (http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=521976)

Beamer
March 21, 2010, 01:18 PM
http://nimg.sulekha.com/sports/thumbnailfull/barack-obama-sidney-crosby-evgeni-malkin-mario-lemieux-2009-9-10-19-40-21.jpg

LOVE IT...

AsifTheManRahman
March 21, 2010, 01:23 PM
Beamer bhai, very cool indeed. :D

Beamer
March 22, 2010, 12:45 PM
Wings -Pens tonight at the Joe. Wings have a chance to tie the season series, after we beat them earlier in the season in shootout.

Malkin out again. Frustrating season for Geno. Misses two, plays one on Sat, and out again. He is gonna miss the game vs Caps on Wed.

Sohel
March 22, 2010, 07:08 PM
1-0 Wings after Val's goal with a minute left in the first.

Sohel
March 22, 2010, 07:31 PM
2-0 Wings as Hank scores in the second. A two goal lead means nothing against the Pens.

Sohel
March 22, 2010, 07:42 PM
2-1 Wings as Dupuis gets one past Howard. End of the second. Fleury keeps it close as usual. Wings outshooting the Pens 20-9 with some really good scoring chances. Lilja's having a solid game of defense. Maybe he can take some of Stewart's ice time. Brad continues his tendency to turn the puck over.

Sohel
March 22, 2010, 07:58 PM
3-1 Wings as Hank scores stick side. Fleury would like to have that one back. Then Williams fails from up close.

Sohel
March 22, 2010, 08:35 PM
Wings win 3-1, now only 4 points behind Nashville. Strong game for us both ways, Hank's line in particular was stellar. Letang's line is very impressive. Malkin is badly needed back. Fleury made some incredible saves as usual.

The Blues are next. Always tough opponents with solid goaltending and great away record.

Red Wings 3, Penguins 1
Monday, 03.22.2010 / 9:54 PM
Associated Press

DETROIT (AP) -Henrik Zetterberg scored his second goal early in the third period and had an assist, lifting the Detroit Red Wings to a 3-1 win over the Pittsburgh Penguins on Monday night.

Valtteri Filppula scored in the final minute of the first period and Jimmy Howard finished with 26 saves for the surging Red Wings.

Pascal Dupuis pulled Pittsburgh within a goal late in the second period and Marc-Andre Fleury stopped 30 shots.

A lot more was at stake the last time the past two NHL champions met in Joe Louis Arena. The Penguins hoisted the Stanley Cup on June 12, 2009 after Game 7 to deny Detroit's quest to repeat.

The Red Wings, though, padded their lead for the final spot in the Western Conference playoffs with their fifth win in six games.

During the final seconds, Sidney Crosby was cross-checking Zetterberg in front of Howard and that led to some punches, pushing and shoving in a scrum behind the net.

Detroit has a four-point cushion over Calgary with 10 games remaining for both teams in the regular season.

The Penguins lead New Jersey by two points in the Atlantic Division, but they've played two more games, in a race to be the second- or third-seeded team in the Eastern Conference.

Detroit is 5-0-1 in its last six games and has won eight of 11 since the Olympic break. The Penguins have won just two of their last seven games after Vancouver.

Pittsburgh was without star Evgeni Malkin for the third time in four games because of an injured right foot.

Malkin and Crosby scored in a 2-1 shootout victory over Detroit on Jan. 31 in Pittsburgh.

Crosby's best chance to score came 33 seconds into Monday's game, but his wrist shot from the top of the left circle was snagged by Howard.

The superstar has a career-high 45 goals this season, tied with Washington's Alex Ovechkin for the league lead, but he has not scored in five straight games and in only one of his last eight.

Detroit failed to take advantage of two power plays in the first, but Filppula took advantage of a scoring opportunity, beating Fleury's blocker after Todd Bertuzzi made a cross-ice pass.

Zetterberg scored his first goal midway through the second period off his own rebound as Bertuzzi was engaged with Crosby in front of Fleury, obstructing his view.

Pittsburgh outworked the Red Wings to pull within a goal as Chris Kunitz knocked Detroit defenseman Brian Rafalski off the puck, leading to Dupuis goal late in the second.

Zetterberg sealed the victory with his 22nd goal early in the third period.

NOTES: Detroit scratched F Dan Cleary (groin) and F Patrick Eaves (back, neck). ... Former Red Wing and Russian star Igor Larionov was asked if he has taken over his country's mission to fare better in hockey on home soil at the 2014 Olympics. "Not yet," Larionov said. ... Versus' Doc Emerick was honored during a third-period break for broadcasting his 3,000th game.

LINK (http://www.nhl.com/ice/recap.htm?id=2009021077)

Beamer
March 22, 2010, 09:38 PM
Congrats bro. Good win by you guys. You guys looked hungrier than us. We played a bad game, actually has been playing bad for a while, which is very concerning. Goal scoring has become an issue lately. Defense was pathetic tonight led by Gonchar, who was awful. Fleury was avg on two goals. Detroit is in a situation what we were in last year. Playing hard to get in the playoffs carries you over. We don't have the sense of urgency and it shows.

Need Geno back soon as well.

Sohel
March 22, 2010, 10:03 PM
I like the momentum and more importantly, the tenacious quality of our play ever since losing to Flames in the third. Pens are an outstanding team without Malkin, and a championship team with him in it. I expect to see you guys in the SCF. Won't be easy, never is in our sport, but it will happen InshAllah.

Beamer
March 22, 2010, 10:25 PM
Not gonna happen this year for Pens. I watch almost every game. Trust me on that. This team is not even close to the team from last year or the one from year before. I think one year off is good for us. We have a lot of passengers on this team who shouldn't be here, but I guess the team kept them for what they did last year. It will be easy to get rid of them when the team makes an early exit.

90% of points are by two players. Never good.

Sohel
March 23, 2010, 11:59 AM
Highlights:

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/p0UEtDxb9cE&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/p0UEtDxb9cE&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Beamer
March 23, 2010, 12:21 PM
^^^ Loved the last 0.3 seconds!

Beamer
March 23, 2010, 12:48 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6oOdrfAzdlA

Sweet memories from Detroit. We brought the Stanley Cup and the Superbowl from that city.

Sohel
March 24, 2010, 07:26 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6oOdrfAzdlA

Sweet memories from Detroit. We brought the Stanley Cup and the Superbowl from that city.

Won't bite, at least not at this point. Losing game 7 at the Joe is the sort of profoundly painful experience only another Cup can ease for us. So until that happens, we'd stay focused on the games themselves, one game at a time.

I've always liked the Pens and all other "Bowmanian" teams like the Habs, the Blues and nowadays the Hawks. Like the way the Pens play. Malkin, Fleury, Orpik, Gonchar, Staal and the Letang Line are a pleasure to watch for me and I assume anyone who loves the game as much as I do. Dan Bylsma is from Western Michigan and very much a product of the hockey culture of Michigan and Southern Ontario. He's a great young American coach who will become a legend and build on the success he has already had. He will sustain what Marc Crawford couldn't because he's in an organization led by Super Mario, and because the great man is there, an intelligent organization committed to championship hockey.

It is a pleasure to wake up 4:30-5:30 in the morning and catch the videos stream or the radio here in Dhaka, as is paying for the extra bandwith to do so. Will be rooting for them against the Caps tonight.

Don't watch the Crosby Show, don't like Crosby and never will. But as overhyped as I think he is, the player has earned my sincere respect for 3 reasons:

1) He has won the Cup and Olympic gold.

2) His hunger to win.

3) His ability to read the game offensively and be at the right place at the right time and score lots of points.

It is not his "fault" that players like Malkin make him look better, Malkin can make ANYONE look better. Or that Pittsburg hockey needs a media generated hockey icon like him. But he doesn't need to get his drive to get the better of him. I'm glad that he doesn't dive and simulate as much as he used to, or claim secondary assists without being involved in the play, but crosschecking a player like Hank after the game, just because he continues to own you on the ice, is the type of impetuous and cheap BS that lessens his growing stature in my book.

If he is to be in the company of Howe, the Rocket, Orr, Bobby Hull, Mahlovich, Gretzky, Lemieux, Yzerman and in the not too distant future, Lidstrom and Niedermayer as the best of the game's best, he needs to put what he does on the ice and when in better perspective.

Won't talk about football here at all. Hockey is to Michigan what football is to Western Penn and I like the Steelers as much as I can like a football team. Never liked the Lions, even when Barry Sanders (my all time favorite alongside Bo Jackson) was there. Then again, my Raiders and Redskins suck as just much as they do nowadays.

Anyway, here's an excellent report from Phil Coffey, enjoy:

Central: Win over Penguins proves Wings are back
Tuesday, 03.23.2010 / 10:51 AM / Division Notebooks
By Phil Coffey - NHL.com Sr. Editorial Director

Joe Louis Arena looked, well, normal Monday night as the Detroit Red Wings put on a performance their fans had been accustomed to seeing.

A 3-1 win against the Pittsburgh Penguins conjured memories of the last two Stanley Cup Finals as the two clubs battled like the Cup again was on the line.

Thanks to a rash of injuries and slumps this season, that hasn't always been the case for the Wings. Now, however, with the bulk of the lineup healthier than any other time this season and players like Henrik Zetterberg and Pavel Datsyuk again looking like All-Stars, the Wings are on the upswing.

Zetterberg scored twice and did yeoman's work shutting down a frustrated Sidney Crosby to pace the win. Goalie Jimmy Howard stepped in and applied the old face wash when Crosby went after Zetterberg at the end of the game. And the crowd loved it all.

"This was the way we like it," Zetterberg told reporters. "It was loud and every time you go onto the ice the crowd is with you. It was like a playoff game."

As for Howard, he is the latest in line, following Mike Vernon and Chris Osgood, of goaltenders who ride to the rescue when a teammate is in trouble.

"Just helping a teammate, that's all," Howard aw-shucks-ed later. "It's become quite a rivalry and we have to stick together out there."

As for Crosby's crosscheck to Zetterberg, Howard said, "He does that all the time and somehow he gets away with it."

"Just a lot of feeling and a lot of emotion after a game, nothing more," Zetterberg said. "If it was reversed, I probably would have done the same thing."

In the standings, the win was important for the Wings, who are 9-2-1 in their last dozen and moved four points ahead of Calgary for eighth in the West and within four points of the fifth spot.

"This is the best run we've been on all year," coach Mike Babcock said. "We're desperate to try to get into the playoffs. We've got proud players who've done a lot of winning over a long time here and we'd all like to be in the tournament, and we think we'll have a shot if we get in.

"We had a real good team effort here tonight, and I thought the goaltending was strong. All in all, a good game and a good win for us."

"You've got to give credit to the Red Wings for the way they played tonight," Penguins coach Dan Bylsma acknowledged. "They battled. They were a desperate team. I think our level, as far as desperation, needs to go up."

Seabrook may return -- Chicago Blackhawks defenseman Brent Seabrook could be in the lineup Tuesday when the Hawks host the Phoenix Coyotes with the top spot in the Western Conference at stake.

Seabrook suffered a concussion last Wednesday when he was rammed into the boards by Anaheim's James Wisniewski, who was suspended eight games for the illegal hit.

"Coming from a guy you know pretty good, that's got to be one of the most difficult things to go through," Seabrook told Jack McCarthy of the Chicago Tribune of his former teammate and friend. "He's tried to get in touch, but I haven't talked to him. It's going to take some time. He says he's sorry, but I'm going to take my time."

Marian the mentor -- As impressive as Patrick Kane has been in his NHL career, the fact remains he is just 21, so there is a lot to learn about NHL life. And that's were signing Marian Hossa, 31, has paid dividends.

In addition to being an upper-echelon talent, Hossa has been mentoring Kane about the intricacies of on-ice success.

"He's been in the League 12 years," Kane told Chris Kuc of the Chicago Tribune. "He obviously knows what to do in this League and what works. He's definitely a guy I learn from. When he's going, he always has the puck and really makes some good moves."

"I know when I was a younger player if I liked something about some older players and what they do I tried to watch their games a little bit more and try to pick up something from their play," Hossa said. "Patrick is a really good offensive player and he's got the ability -- he's still so young -- to be an even better defensive player. He seems to make a few backchecks in games and it kind of shows he's willing to learn and play defensively. If you want to learn, you learn."

Well said -- "It's irrelevant who we play, pretty much. We've got to take care of business because we need every point we can get. But we (Wings and Penguins) are two teams that have been to the Stanley Cup Finals the last two years in a row, and pretty much whenever we meet, it's a great game." -- Wings goalie Jimmy Howard

READ MORE (http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=522379)

Beamer
March 24, 2010, 10:40 AM
See, the perspective is different depending on what side of the aisle you are at. From our point of view, the meaningless cross-checks on him were the Captain showing his frustrations towards his teammates. Thats what a leader has to do, even when the game result is beyond decided. Our team needed a wake up call for all the defensive lapses. You would recall how Malkin also went after the same player in Game 5 of SCF last year. When your superstars/leaders take matter in their own hand, ( Malkin is also an alternate captain ), it shows to the rest of the players that things are not well and they better wake up. I don't think it is personal, but as long as hockey has been played as a team sport, leaders of teams has done simmilar things. It won't be the last time either. Besides, the player in question on both ocassions, is not known as someone who will fight back ( all players from that country as a matter of fact ), so message sending is difficult and sometimes the game of hockey requires that. I don't think if the roles were reversed, you would see Fleury jumping on that Wing to protect his captain. You know what I mean..

I don't know how can anyone call Crosby overrated when his stats and achievements speak for himself. By the age of 22, he has won the Art Ross, Hart, terrific playoffs points, Stanley Cup as the youngest captain, GW goal at the Olympics..etc etc. God knows what he will do next 15 years or so! His principal loyalty is to the Penguins, and as the leader of the team , he is required to do many things, including lighting a fire under his teams belly. Getting brwonie points from Detroit media/players is not his concern.

Beamer
March 24, 2010, 10:49 AM
BTW, I actually admire the way Red Wings play. The puck possession game that they play is unmatched. Pens on their day can beat any team, but beating Red Wings requires more than playing good hockey. It requires great hockey. Please take that as a compliment.

Sohel
March 24, 2010, 11:41 AM
I used the word "overhyped", not "overrated" ... :)

Beamer
March 24, 2010, 12:20 PM
oh sorry! Didn't notice. My mistake. The hype was put on him ever since he laced up as a kid. Its not his fault. That's Canada for you. Yes, he is overhyped, and probably that is the cause of hatred towards him by fans that are not Pens fans. He is everywhere on TV and media. I hate Tom Brady. Why? Because, the NFL media is in love with him. But, he is a great player. The constant media lovefest, combined with wins, has made him a hated target by fans that are not from New England area. Its not Tom's fault, but thats the way it goes. I always look for excuses to hate him even when its not deserved.

Beamer
March 24, 2010, 12:25 PM
Malkin out again! We are slumping going into the playoffs. Caps will hand it to us tonight. I think we will have to settle for the no.4 seed. Once again, we should sit Malkin as long as it takes to get him healthy for the playoffs. Seedings don't matter that much. I would have liked us to get the No.2, but if it doesn't happen, then it doesn't. I just want us to play sound defensively, and for Fleury to get back to the form he was in around this time last year.

Fazal
March 24, 2010, 05:01 PM
Its just a regular game,

Howver still for Caps its a real test them, to find out how good they really are this season.

Sohel
March 24, 2010, 07:45 PM
2-1 Wings in 2nd. Former Wing Ty Conklin keeps it close with clutch saves. Bertuzzi scored again, his 2nd in 3 games after a drought. Hope this is a trend. Hank scored again.

Pens lead 2-1 after 2. Former Wing Knuble scored for the Caps.

Sohel
March 24, 2010, 08:08 PM
2-3 Pens. Quick 3rd period goals from Semin, a shortie, and Fehr.

Sohel
March 24, 2010, 08:19 PM
Draper's playing his 1100th game for the Winged Wheel. Still an integral part of our PK, the current streak being 28 consecutive PKs and counting.

I wonder why the Blues are so much better on the road.

Sohel
March 24, 2010, 08:22 PM
Kings and Avs is underway. If the Avs lose, always hope they do, and we win this one, we'll be tied in points and in a good position to challenge for 7th place while putting some distance between us and Nashville.

Sohel
March 24, 2010, 08:24 PM
3-3 Pens as Staal scores! What a great player he's turning out to be.

Sohel
March 24, 2010, 08:25 PM
2-2 as the Blues score. Stewart is an idiot!

Sohel
March 24, 2010, 08:26 PM
1-1 Kings.

Sohel
March 24, 2010, 08:30 PM
Pens and Caps go to OT.

Sohel
March 24, 2010, 08:36 PM
1-2 Kings as Hejduk puts the Avs ahead. Still in the first.

Sohel
March 24, 2010, 08:38 PM
Pens and Caps to go SO.

Sohel
March 24, 2010, 08:44 PM
Val backhands it into the net! 3-2 Wings. All that good work down low pays off. What a skilled 2-way player he's turning out to be. 7 left in the 3rd.

Caps get the SO win ... bummer.

1-3 Kings as Stastny scores for the Avs.

Sohel
March 24, 2010, 08:55 PM
Val gets the ENG, as we put this one away 4-2. Important distance between us and the Flames now.

Jimmy Howard gets his 30th win of the season with 30 saves.

Sohel
March 25, 2010, 12:57 AM
Kariya still has it! Splits two of the best in the game, Lidstrom and Rafalski, then beats Howard at high speed. Highlights:

<object width="640" height="383" id="embed" classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000"><param name="movie" value="http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/embed.swf" /><param name="quality" value="high" /><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /><param name="flashVars" value="hlg=20092010,2,1093&server=http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/&pageurl=http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/&nlwa=http://app2.neulion.com/videocenter/nhl/" /><embed name="embed" pluginspage="http://www.adobe.com/go/getflashplayer" src="http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/embed.swf" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="640" height="383" quality="high" allowFullScreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" flashVars="hlg=20092010,2,1093&server=http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/&pageurl=http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/&nlwa=http://app2.neulion.com/videocenter/nhl/"></embed></object>

Red Wings 4, Blues 2
Wednesday, 03.24.2010 / 11:14 PM
Associated Press

DETROIT (AP) -The surging Detroit Red Wings are moving closer to securing a spot in the playoffs.

Valtteri Filppula scored with 6:49 left and added an empty-net goal, lifting Detroit to a 4-2 victory over the St. Louis Blues on Wednesday night.

The Red Wings padded their lead to four points over Calgary for the last spot in the Western Conference playoffs with their sixth win in seven games and pulled within four points of being tied for fifth.

Detroit coach Mike Babcock, though, is not resting easy.

"Sleep is overrated," Babcock said.

St. Louis, meanwhile, moved a step closer toward being eliminated from the race with its fourth loss in six games.

David Backes said the critical loss came down to a few situations in front of the nets.

"Those kind of plays are the reason the Detroit Red Wings are in the playoffs every year," Backes said.

The Red Wings have been playing their best hockey during their rebuilding season - going 9-2-1 since the Olympic break - after finally getting healthy to improve their chances of making it to a 19th straight postseason and extending the longest such streak in sports.

"We've been getting better since we've gotten our people back," Babcock said.

Detroit's Jimmy Howard made 30 saves to win his 30th win, adding to his Rookie of the Year resume.

Former Red Wing Ty Conklin stopped 20 shots.

READ MORE (http://www.nhl.com/ice/recap.htm?id=2009021093&navid=DL|NHL|home)

AsifTheManRahman
March 25, 2010, 09:38 AM
Sohel bhai, where do you watch in Bangladesh?

Beamer
March 25, 2010, 10:54 AM
Caps beat us in SO, but that was the most spirited game we played since the Olympic break. Defensive lapses continue here and there, but last night was a first step in playing the right way. We skated hard, finished our checks, played in their zone most of the time, but Caps are so talented that one mishap and its in your net. We gave up the lead, but came back to get a point out of it, and without Malkin ( again ) and Gonchar in the line-up. The news about Malkin is not good. They are keeping mum about it, but it's not a short term injury, which is the worst news for our hopes. Caps need not worry about Theodore. He is the reason that Caps were not blown away in the first period.

Beamer
March 25, 2010, 10:55 AM
Sohel, did you watch the Conklin Blunder on the go ahead goal?

Beamer
March 25, 2010, 10:59 AM
3-3 Pens as Staal scores! What a great player he's turning out to be.

That family has good genes! All of the brothers are huge. Jordan is only 21! One thing about Caps after watching them last night. Their defensive core is prone to mistakes when pressured. Nicklas Backstrom is unreal. He will be better than Forsberg when its all said and done.

Sohel
March 26, 2010, 07:06 AM
@Beamer: the Conklin blunder a was a huge break for us but also loved the way Val put that away. Backstrom is indeed impressive but Forsberg was a whole another class IMHO before repeated injuries slowed him down. His ability to read the game, and soft hands combined with incredible strength and power was the type of stuff I think only Malkin is capable of matching in the not too distant future.

@Asif: The GDTs from various fan forums provide quality links. I also listen to the Red Wings radio. Big fan of radio commentary ... :)

Beamer
March 26, 2010, 10:59 AM
http://penguins.nhl.com/?navid=nav-teamnav-pit

Geno won the incredibly prestigious Sportsman of the Year honor for Pittsburgh in '09 last night at an event. His speech is funny, broken English and all, but humorous! Click on the play button under Dapper Dan, and if you have the patience, watch it. Its funny...

Sohel
March 26, 2010, 07:13 PM
Thanks bro, will check that out.

Tied 0-0 against Minnesota ATM, always a tough regional opponent in all levels of hockey. Good chance for us to extend our lead to 8 points and stay close to the Avs for the 7th spot. Pens and Flyers later on will be intense as usual.

Sohel
March 26, 2010, 07:36 PM
The Mule scores early in the 2nd! 1-0 Wings. Great saucer pass from Williams, better finish from the Mule.

Sohel
March 26, 2010, 07:39 PM
5 on 3 PP for about 15 seconds for us.

Sohel
March 26, 2010, 07:43 PM
Homer redirects a Lidstrom missile from the point, 2-0 Wings. The 100th PPG for Homer.

Sohel
March 26, 2010, 07:44 PM
Falk breaks up a 2 on 1. Great defensive play there.

Sohel
March 26, 2010, 07:51 PM
Junior impedes the breakaway just enough for Howard to get a piece of that shot from Miettinen. Idiot Stewart, the Jaime Carragher of hockey, had that taken away from him, AGAIN!

Sohel
March 26, 2010, 07:55 PM
Ericsson redirects Lidstrom, a shorthanded goal, 3-0 Wings!

Sohel
March 26, 2010, 07:57 PM
Datsyuk scores! 4-0 Wings.

Sohel
March 26, 2010, 08:08 PM
PPG for Minnesota, 4-1 Wings. The first PPG conceded by us in 11 games. Brunette, what an unfortunate name for a man.

Sohel
March 26, 2010, 08:59 PM
6-2 Wings with 5:30 left in the 3rd. The Mule (PPG) and Miller scored for us, former Shark Nolan for the Wild.

Sohel
March 26, 2010, 09:05 PM
5 on 3 PP for the Wings. Non PP unit in for us. Good move from Babcock not to humiliate Minnesota and continue to rest most of our big guns in the 3rd.

Sohel
March 26, 2010, 09:08 PM
Its over and a great 26th birthday present for Jimmy Howard. Now 6 points ahead of the Flames and tied with the Avs. The Flames play Boston and the Caps back to back. We take on Nashville tomorrow. We can tie them for the 5th spot with a win.

We slowed down a little bit after the 4th goal and let them in, but kept it under control. 4 point game for the Mule. Good game from Ericsson also. Found the forwards' tape, and when he couldn't, cleared the zone safely. He He has been responding well since being benched.

Beamer
March 27, 2010, 10:44 AM
Pens-Flyers in an hour. Most hated rivalry this side of the continent. Malkin is missing again. Three in a row and six out of last seven. Gonch is out as well. We need a point to clinch a playoff berth. Once again, it is better to have a healthy Malkin for playoffs than rushing him back. He needs the whole summer to heal that shoulder, which has been an issue. anyway..Lets Go Pens..

Sohel
March 27, 2010, 12:12 PM
Really don't like the Flyers. Bobby Clarke and Lindros (and his so called Legion of DUMB) STILL represent everything antithetical to the way we play hockey. Pleasure to root against those idiots every time.

Wings-Wild highlights:

<object width="640" height="383" id="embed" classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000"><param name="movie" value="http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/embed.swf" /><param name="quality" value="high" /><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /><param name="flashVars" value="hlg=20092010,2,1108&server=http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/&pageurl=http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/&nlwa=http://app2.neulion.com/videocenter/nhl/" /><embed name="embed" pluginspage="http://www.adobe.com/go/getflashplayer" src="http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/embed.swf" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="640" height="383" quality="high" allowFullScreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" flashVars="hlg=20092010,2,1108&server=http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/&pageurl=http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/&nlwa=http://app2.neulion.com/videocenter/nhl/"></embed></object>

Important game against Nashville later will give us the opportunity to tie for 5th place. Here's a good preview:

Surging Wings could tie Predators with victory
John McGourty - NHL.com Staff Writer

DETROIT (38-23-13) at NASHVILLE (43-27-5)

Last 10 -- Red Wings 8-1-1; Predators 8-2-0

Season series -- This is the fifth meeting of the Central Division rivals. The Predators won, 3-1, on Nov. 23 in Nashville on Martin Erat's two goals and Pekka Rinne made 30 saves. Detroit won in Nashville on Dec. 12, 3-2, when Todd Bertuzzi scored at 24 seconds of overtime. Jimmy Howard made 46 saves and four Red Wings scored on Jan. 29 in a 4-2 win in Detroit. Darren Helm scored twice and Howard made 20 saves on March 5 in Detroit in a 5-2 victory. The teams meet again on April 3 in Detroit.

Big story -- Two of the three hottest teams in the NHL meet in Nashville Saturday, a Central Division matchup of the second-place Predators and third-place Red Wings, who rank fifth and eighth, respectively, in the Western Conference. Nashville leads Detroit by two points and both teams have gained a bit on the division-leading Blackhawks, who have gone 4-4-2 in their last 10.

Team Scope:

Red Wings -- The Red Wings are playing their best hockey of the season, having won four straight. They are getting excellent goaltending from Howard. The Red Wings have two of the NHL's best defensemen in Nick Lidstrom and Brian Rafalski and a good supporting cast bolstered by the development of Jonathan Ericsson. They skate four lines in which all 12 forwards average over 10 minutes per game. The team took time getting over the departures of Marian Hossa, Jiri Hudler, Ty Conklin, Mikael Samuelsson and Tomas Kopecky but they're playing like the Red Wings now.

Predators -- Erat leads the Predators with only 48 points but Nashville has a League-high nine players with more than 30 points, including defensemen Ryan Suter and Shea Weber. Patric Hornqvist has 29 goals, only four shy of the team record set last year by Jason Arnott. Due to injuries, the top line is Marcel Goc centering Steve Sullivan and Hornqvist. David Legwand, the Predators' first drafted player, hasn't scored in 31 games but won Thursday's game against Phoenix with a shootout goal. Year after year, this team successfully executes coach Barry Trotz's strategies.

Who's hot -- Since becoming linemates on March 11, Henrik Zetterberg has four goals and six assists, Valtteri Filppula has two goals and four assists and Todd Bertuzzi has two goals and five assists. They had four goals and three assists in Thursday's 4-2 win over the Blues. Howard has saved the Red Wings' season with a 31-15-9 record, 2.29 goals-against average and .925 save percentage to become a leading Calder Memorial Trophy candidate. Defenseman Brian Rafalski has nine points in 10 games. ... Nashville's Sullivan has five points in five games. Hornqvist has six goals and three assists in nine games. Rinne has won seven of his last eight decisions.

Injury report -- Red Wings right wing Patrick Eaves returned last night against Minnesota after missing three games with a head injury. Right wing Kirk Maltby had shoulder surgery in late February and is due back in early April. ... Nashville's Arnott has missed three games with a head injury and is day-to-day. Right wing Joel Ward has missed two games with an upper-body injury and is day-to-day. Defenseman Denis Grebeshkov has missed 10 games with a lower-body injury and is nearing a return.

Stat pack -- Nashville needs to get in front early in order to win, or else get to a shootout. Nashville is the second-best team in the NHL when leading or trailing after one period. They are second-best when they score first and third-best if scored on first. They fall to ninth when leading after two periods and to 24th when trailing after two periods. Nashville leads the NHL with 12 shootout victories.

Puck Drop -- Bertuzzi was explaining how well he and his linemates cycle the puck before Red Wings coach Mike Babcock set him straight: "Let's not get confused here," Babcock told the Detroit Free Press. "We want Bert at the net and the other guys get to play with the puck. Bert gets to bang loose pucks into the net. What happens is, if Bert has the puck, that line is not as effective. It's no different than for Homer (Tomas Holmstrom) with Pav (Datsyuk) and Mule (Johan Franzen). It's set up that way, so as long as Bert is in front of the net, he's going to get to play on that line."

LINK (http://redwings.nhl.com/club/preview.htm?id=2009021118)

Sohel
March 27, 2010, 12:25 PM
Flyers up 1-0. Asham (whoever he is) scores in the first minute.

Sohel
March 27, 2010, 12:38 PM
Bruins up 1-0 on Seidenberg's PPG. 3 minutes left in the first. A loss here will make it practically impossible for the Flames to make it to the playoffs.

Sohel
March 27, 2010, 12:45 PM
Kunitz scores for the Pens, 1-1 after 1.

Sohel
March 27, 2010, 01:06 PM
2-0 Bruins as Krejci scores.

Sohel
March 27, 2010, 01:07 PM
2-1 Flyers as Gagne scores. Reviewed and NO goal because of incidental contact, still 1-1, but no penalty???

Beamer
March 27, 2010, 01:50 PM
2-1 Flyers as Gagne scores. Reviewed and NO goal because of incidental contact, still 1-1, but no penalty???

Strange call. But Flyers are running over Fleury. They had a penalty before that on same type of play. They should have called a penalty on the second one as well. No reason to not call a penalty back-to-back. Right decision in the end. Should teach them not to run over goalie. 2-1 now. Sid had a chance SH, but their goalie is playing well. Still 50-50 game. Pens are not playing well.

AsifTheManRahman
March 27, 2010, 02:06 PM
Still 15 minutes to go, the Pens look clumsy. Nah, they probably won't make it all the way this season. Come on Ice Man, you must do this!

AsifTheManRahman
March 27, 2010, 02:06 PM
He scoooooooorrrrreeeeessss!!!! 3 - 1 Penguins!

Beamer
March 27, 2010, 02:52 PM
4-1 Pens. Asif- you are right, bro. This Pens team not even close to the one of last two years. Something is missing. They sleepwalk too much. Anyway, I take the two points.

Bancan
March 27, 2010, 05:06 PM
Hows the weather around Pittsburgh this time of the year?

Sohel
March 27, 2010, 07:27 PM
Good 4-1 win for the Pens. Flames lost 0-5 and can kiss their chances of making the playoffs goodbye, pretty much.

Wings-Nashville 0-0 in the first. Being outshot 4-11 as Howard continues his stellar form. Should get the Calder.

Sohel
March 27, 2010, 07:36 PM
Bad holding call on Lidstrom. Just 22 PMs all season for the Saint while at +22. Second PP for Nashville.

Sohel
March 27, 2010, 07:43 PM
Third PP for Nashville. Living dangerously now.

Sohel
March 27, 2010, 08:07 PM
We get our first PP 3+ minutes into the 2nd, finally. Now outshooting them also.

Sohel
March 27, 2010, 08:18 PM
One too many quick whistles from the ref. That was IN! Bertuzzi makes the case to no avail. Our second PP of the game is coming up.

Two Red Wings fans just got pied by the Predators' mascot! WTF??? Inbred Hicks and Klansmen I tell ya. Incredible pad save by Rinne keeps the Preds tied at 0-0. Finns are producing some some excellent goalies nowadays. Kirpusoff, Backstrom and Rinne.

Sohel
March 27, 2010, 08:37 PM
Still 0-0 after 40 minutes. Pekka Rinne continues to deny the Winged Wheel. 26 saves already.

LL-)sL-)radL-) Crappalanche tied 1-1 with the Coyotes.

Sohel
March 27, 2010, 08:58 PM
Rinne at 6'-5" doesn't show a lot of net to begin with.

Sohel
March 27, 2010, 09:03 PM
Rinne denies the Mule, his 32nd save ... great, Fedorov-like stickhandling from our Big Swede.

Sohel
March 27, 2010, 09:08 PM
Great defensive play by the Saint right in front of our own goal. Howard was in trouble there and his captain bailed him out. Howard has continued to look sharp, always surviving the customary initial onslaught against us.

AsifTheManRahman
March 27, 2010, 09:11 PM
That's some pretty stiff resistance from Nashville...especially from Rinne.

Sohel
March 27, 2010, 09:12 PM
The Preds have cheerleaders called "ice girls"! How typical ... :floor:

Zeeshan
March 27, 2010, 09:12 PM
Pics please of ice girls.

Sohel
March 27, 2010, 09:15 PM
That's some pretty stiff resistance from Nashville...especially from Rinne.

Two of the hottest teams in the West since the Olympics. This one's turning out to be a goalie's duel.

Rinne just made a glove save on Rafalski.

Sohel
March 27, 2010, 09:17 PM
Pics please of ice girls.

http://cache.deadspin.com/assets/resources/2008/03/predatorsicegirl.jpg

AsifTheManRahman
March 27, 2010, 09:18 PM
^ The more the merrier: http://predators.nhl.com/club/page.htm?id=37164

Sohel
March 27, 2010, 09:18 PM
Still 0-0, 5:50 left in the 3rd.

Zeeshan
March 27, 2010, 09:19 PM
Talk about Blah paying for Orphy's carpal tunnel!! :P

AsifTheManRahman
March 27, 2010, 09:20 PM
Man, Rinne's blocking EVERYTHING!

Sohel
March 27, 2010, 09:21 PM
What a stick save by Rinne on Datsyuk!

Sohel
March 27, 2010, 09:22 PM
What a HUGE save by Howard!

AsifTheManRahman
March 27, 2010, 09:22 PM
Less than 3 to go now...

Sohel
March 27, 2010, 09:23 PM
Crappalanche are down 1-3 now ... :lol:

AsifTheManRahman
March 27, 2010, 09:25 PM
Only seconds left now...

Sohel
March 27, 2010, 09:31 PM
And we're going to OT ... we're 8-13 in OT, the Preds 11-5

Rinne 37 saves, Howard 32

No matter what happens here, we're moving past the Crappalanche for the 7th spot. 19th consecutive playoffs, the 23rd in last 25 years, 4 Cups out of 6 appearances in the SCF since '95 ... easily the greatest team of our era, even in this "rebuilding" year.

Sohel
March 27, 2010, 09:36 PM
We've got a shoot out. Outstanding defensive game this one.

Sohel
March 27, 2010, 09:58 PM
Howard wins the duel. Junior scores the GWG ... we're 1 point behind the Preds for the 5th spot now.

The greatest SO game I've ever seen. 12 rounds and 3 goals! Looks like we've found our Osgood 2.0 after all.

Sohel
March 27, 2010, 10:01 PM
The Crapps pull one back ... 3-2 Coyotes

Sohel
March 27, 2010, 10:04 PM
4-2 Coyotes as Stempniak scores.

Sohel
March 27, 2010, 10:08 PM
If the Kings lose, 0-0 ATM, we're in 6th place.

Sohel
March 27, 2010, 10:10 PM
Good to see a little resurgent desire in the Sharks, home team after all, for once. Just tied Vancouver 1-1.

Sohel
March 27, 2010, 10:11 PM
Kings lead 1-0 ... C'mon Dallas!

Sohel
March 27, 2010, 10:26 PM
Crappolas lose 2-6, Sharks lead 3-1 ... Kings still lead by 1 but other than that, a good hockey day so far ... :)

Sohel
March 27, 2010, 10:47 PM
2-1 Dallas in the 2nd ... :D

Sohel
March 27, 2010, 10:58 PM
3-1 Dallas ... viva los tejanos!

Sohel
March 28, 2010, 12:47 AM
Red Wings 1, Predators 0, SO
Associated Press

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) -The Detroit Red Wings and Nashville Predators both solidified their playoff chances while dealing another crippling blow to the fading Calgary Flames.

Niklas Kronwall, in his first career shootout try, scored the winning goal in the 11th round to give the Red Wings a 1-0 victory over the Predators on Saturday night.

Jimmy Howard stopped 10 of Nashville's 11 shootout attempts to make Kronwall's goal stand up as the winner.

Detroit has won five straight and eight of nine to move into a more secure playoff position. The Red Wings jumped out of eighth place in the tightly packed Western Conference race.

Nashville lost for just the second time in nine games. The fifth-place Predators are only one point ahead of the surging Red Wings. Both teams were helped earlier Saturday when ninth-place Calgary lost at Boston.

"It was probably the worst result that Calgary could have in the sense that we got a point and Detroit pulled away," Nashville coach Barry Trotz said. "It really puts them in a tough spot. It's looking a little bleaker for Calgary."

Calgary trails Nashville by nine points and Detroit by eight.

Predators goalie Pekka Rinne denied nine of Detroit's first 10 shootout chances, but couldn't stop Kronwall's backhander that slipped between his pads.

"We were all standing and talking, all the D-men," Kronwall said. "We were kind of running out of forwards to shoot so we knew eventually one of the D-men would get a chance. I happened to get the nod."

"At that point, it is like flipping a coin," Rinne said. "Obviously, I was mad right afterward, but it was a solid effort and we picked up one point. I'm sure this will turn out to be a big point."

After Kronwall's goal, Howard stopped Francis Bouillon to seal the win. Both goalies were credited with shutouts. Rinne made 38 traditional saves to earn his fourth shutout in March. Howard stopped 33 shots through overtime.

"It's a struggle, and I don't know why, for me," Howard said of shootouts. "I just stayed out there and let those guys make the first move and just tried to stay with the puck."

Howard entered Saturday's game having won just three of 10 shootouts this season.

"Shootouts haven't been our friend this year," Detroit coach Mike Babcock said. "Howie did a great job, save after save after save. His confidence has got to be growing, that's a good thing for him and it's a good thing for us."

The Red Wings have beaten Nashville in four of five matchups. The teams will conclude the season series next Saturday in Detroit.

NOTES: Detroit RW Patrick Eaves played in his 300th NHL game. ... Detroit is 7-4-1 in the second game of back-to-back sets. ... The Red Wings are 5-9 in shootouts. Nashville is 7-4. ... Howard is 3-0 against the Predators this season.

LINK (http://redwings.nhl.com/club/recap.htm?id=2009021118&navid=DL|DET|home)

<iframe width="480" height="289" frameborder="0" src="http://redwings.nhl.tv/team/embed.jsp?hlg=20092010,2,1118"></iframe>

Interesting playoff scenario beginning to emerge with 7 games (4H-3A) left in the season for us. If all continues to go well, we'll finish either 5 or 4 InshAllah with the Sharks, Hawks and the Coyotes in top 3. That means we're likely to play either Vancouver or Nashville in the first round.

I hope Iginla and the Flames pull off a miracle and overtake the Crappalanche for the 8th spot.

Sohel
March 28, 2010, 08:11 AM
Rooting for the Sharks against the Crappalanche, and the Flames against the Caps. It would be nice to have Nashville lose to Florida so that we can move into 5th place with a win against the Oilers come Tuesday.

Get your diapers babies, 'cause the Red Wings are coming!

Beamer
March 28, 2010, 10:41 AM
22 shooters to win that SO! Incredible.

Sohel : Finns are producing great goalies. Include Nittemayki, Lehtinen as well to the list.

Beamer
March 28, 2010, 10:45 AM
Hows the weather around Pittsburgh this time of the year?

Its beautiful. Nice spring weather. Crisp air and blue skies ( cloudy today ). Time to grab your bike and pedal along the miles of trails along the rivers and hills..

Bancan
March 28, 2010, 04:32 PM
Its beautiful. Nice spring weather. Crisp air and blue skies ( cloudy today ). Time to grab your bike and pedal along the miles of trails along the rivers and hills..

I am coming to Pennsylvania this coming weekend. No need for a winter jacket right? I might come to Pittsburgh . Just wondering what to pack.

Sohel
March 28, 2010, 08:57 PM
Flames beat the Caps 5-3. Sharks are tied 2-2 with the third period about to start. A Crappalanche loss will put Iginla's men just two points away from the 8th place. A little light at the end of the tunnel.

Flames will play the Coyotes, Crapps, Hawks, Sharks, Wild and Vancouver.

Crappalanche will play the Ducks, Flames, Sharks again, Vancouver, Oilers, Hawks and the Kings.

Not easy for either team. We play the Oilers, CBJ, Nashville, Flyers, CBJ, CBJ and the Hawks. Keeping the current intensity going is the key to finishing strong.

Sohel
March 28, 2010, 08:59 PM
3-2 Sharks as Boyle scores!

Sohel
March 28, 2010, 09:09 PM
3-3 Sharks as Mueller scores for Loserado.

Sohel
March 28, 2010, 09:22 PM
4-3 Sharks as Setoguchi puts the Northern Californians ahead. Less than 5 remaining in the game.

Sohel
March 28, 2010, 09:32 PM
Crappalanche lose again, Alhamdulillah!

AsifTheManRahman
March 28, 2010, 10:10 PM
22 shooters to win that SO! Incredible.
Sid the kid (hate calling him that as he's clearly more of a man than most men in the NHL) does it again. Apparently Giguere, who hadn't seen much of Crosby, had asked his teammates what the Ice Man might do during the SO and got eight different answers. That's just how good he is eh?

Sohel
March 28, 2010, 10:18 PM
@Asif: Beamer was talking about the epic SO between the Wings and Nashville. Anyway, Crosby is easily one of the top 10 guys in the NHL when it comes to finishing off 1 on 1 chances, including penalty shots. Has been since day 1. Giguere has to be retarded not to know that. IMPOSSIBLE not to see much of Crosby in this league. Then again, the Leafs have a tendency to defy the impossible when it comes to certain things ... :)

AsifTheManRahman
March 28, 2010, 10:18 PM
PS: I quoted the wrong post, lol.

AsifTheManRahman
March 28, 2010, 10:27 PM
@Asif: Beamer was talking about the epic SO between the Wings and Nashville. Anyway, Crosby is easily one of the top 10 guys in NHL when it comes to finishing off 1 on 1 chances, including penalty shots. Has been since day 1. Giguere has to be retarded not to know that. IMPOSSIBLE not to see much of Crosby in this league. Then again, the Leafs have a tendency to defy the impossible when it comes to certain things ... :)
I meant he hadn't faced off against him on the ice that much, having played mostly in the Western Conference and all. But his words, not mine. :D

Beamer
March 29, 2010, 10:23 AM
I am coming to Pennsylvania this coming weekend. No need for a winter jacket right? I might come to Pittsburgh . Just wondering what to pack.

I don't think so. Still, might wanna carry a light jacket or two. It depends on what part of PA you are visiting. Check the weather reports. Its rainy in Pitt today and until Wed, after that sunshine..

Beamer
March 29, 2010, 10:36 AM
Asif

He is 8-10 in SO this year. Thats an incredible rate of conversion. He wasn't this good in penalty shots before. He continues to get better at things that was his weaknesses. He was always a great passer and distributor, but not an elite goal scorer ( like Ovechkin, Heatley, Gaborik etc ). This year, he is in the running for Rocket Richard. His worst weakness was his faceoff w/l. He went from one of the worst in the league to the 'best' in the league ( statistically speaking ) this year. SO was not his strong suit, but this year, he is leading the league with 8 goals in 10 attempts. This internal drive to make himself better is what separates him from many.

Let me say a thing or two about the Maple Leafs. This new young team is the team for future. They are fast, tenacious, and has the ingredients to make a run in the near future. Things will be looking up for the leafs next year.

Sohel : Thanks for the highlights of a 0-0 game! very enjoyable..

AsifTheManRahman
March 29, 2010, 10:27 PM
<object width="480" height="385">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/hwsBYATsSdI&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></object>

Now that's what I call a hockey coach.

Sohel
March 30, 2010, 12:44 AM
Sohel : Thanks for the highlights of a 0-0 game! very enjoyable..

LOL! No appreciation for great goaltending or defense I suppose. Fair enough. These are for you and Asif, just because I love you more than I'd EVER love Crosby ... muah! ... :)

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/HXzYcCfCJkY&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/HXzYcCfCJkY&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/G18_3NYN1eI&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/G18_3NYN1eI&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Beamer
March 30, 2010, 09:51 AM
Sohel bro, and I love you back. Not even the mouthwatering delicate Swedish pastry can stand between the unconditional love.

Great news for Pens fans this morning. Kris Letang has been locked up with a new deal until 2014. Our young core is locked up now long term, which is not an easy thing to do in the salary cap era. Letang joins Fleury, Orpik, Malkin, Crosby and Stall- the core blocks of our rebuilding era, pre and post lock up. That means probably the end of Gonchar here. He is an UFA, who is seeking upwards of $5 mil a year, and I doubt they will give him that to a long term contract for a player who will become 37 yrs old this summer. It will be a tough loss, as he is the PP QB, but economics dictate a large part of your decision making in this era. I hope he takes a discount and stay with us for atleast two more years. Hoping..

Sohel
March 30, 2010, 07:36 PM
3-0 Wings after 1. Junior, Lilja and Miller scored. Not starting Dubnyk was a mistake for the Oilers. Nashville, easily the best defensive team I've seen since the Devils of the 90s, is still tied at 0-0 with LA. Hoping for a Flames win against the Coyotes (unlikely) while the Crappalanche lose to the Ducks (likely) Wednesday.

I like Orpik, Staal and Letang. Letang's line as a whole is just awesome to watch. Always liked Gonchar too.

AsifTheManRahman
March 30, 2010, 07:56 PM
Sohel bhai, re: #229 - that's more like it! :D

Sohel
March 30, 2010, 08:11 PM
4-2 Wings with seconds left in the 2nd. The Mule scored a PPG to make it 4-0 before Gilbert and Comrie scored goals within a 1 minute span. The Oilers have always been feisty and never give up.

@Beamer: Ulf Dahlen opened doors for the Swedes and Lidstrom, Forsberg and Sundin (although his wasted his career playing for a hopeless and gutless excuse of a hockey team) took it to the next level. Kronwall, Ericsson (since returning from the bench) and Lilja are all multifaceted defensemen ready to try and fill the Saint and Rafalski's skates when they retire. With Meech and Lebda adding to that incredible defensive depth, we'll continue to play Red Wings hockey this side of the blue line for years to come.

The only weak link in our D, IMHO, is Stuart. Hopefully his one-turnover-per-period won't cost us too much come playoffs.

Sohel
March 30, 2010, 08:30 PM
4-3 Wings as Stortini scores for the Oilers ... wake up guys.

Beamer
March 30, 2010, 08:33 PM
No love for Swedes from my end. Never liked one single player from there. Skilled, but short on manhood...just saying. Pens for some good reason avoid Swedes like plague as well. I am sure there will be one or two exception, like Ulf Samuelsson , other than that we are not too heavy on them. Naslund was our draft pick, but didn't spend enough time here. Anyway..

Sohel
March 30, 2010, 08:33 PM
PP for the Oilers, opportunity for them to tie the game. Typically dumb penalty from Homer.

Beamer
March 30, 2010, 08:35 PM
Yes...Devils lost, albeit in OT. We still lead Atlantic by a point .

Beamer
March 30, 2010, 08:39 PM
I am watching Chi-Stl on Vs...Chicago r bro player ta darun gunda...khali gushi dhakka marey..heavy player kintu..

Sohel
March 30, 2010, 08:44 PM
4-4 as Gilbert scores his 2nd of the game. Incredible comeback down 0-4. Looks like the third period complacency is back in the mix for us.

Sohel
March 30, 2010, 08:45 PM
HUGE save by Howard on Sullivan. Horrible 2 on 1 allowed to happen.

Beamer
March 30, 2010, 08:52 PM
Its hard to get up for teams like Edmonton. Detroit will eventually win. I think Nashville, as a whole, has the best defensive core. Hugely underrated. Shea Webber is a stud. Hamhuis and Suter are great young D.

Sohel
March 30, 2010, 08:53 PM
Huge saves galore from Deslauriers followed by Oiler counterattacks. Less than 2 left in the game.

Stuart scores! 5-4 Wings!!!

Sohel
March 30, 2010, 08:54 PM
Goal's being reviewed ...

Sohel
March 30, 2010, 08:59 PM
The goal stands ... 5-4 Wings, outshooting them 44-26 pays off.

PP for the Oilers with 11 secs to go. 6 on 4 with the goalie pulled. Critical faceoff and Hank does it again.

6th victory in a row for the Wings. We'll be just a point short of 5th place if Nashville lose tonight.

cricman
March 30, 2010, 09:07 PM
4 pts out w/ 6 to play

fighting for our lives here

Sohel
March 30, 2010, 09:08 PM
1-0 Kings with 11:30 left in the 3rd ... :D

Beamer
March 30, 2010, 09:08 PM
^^^ Rangers? yea..its tough. but, 6,7,8 all have 82 points. That is a good sign.

Sohel
March 30, 2010, 09:26 PM
2-0 Kings as O'Donnell beats Rinne.

We're just 1 short of 5th place now.

Sohel
March 31, 2010, 07:48 AM
Good read:

Central: Red Wings can still hit triple digits
Tuesday, 03.30.2010 / 9:56 AM / Division Notebooks
By Phil Coffey - NHL.com Sr. Editorial Director

The Detroit Red Wings did create some doubts this season to be sure, but now that the end is in sight, it looks very much like the Wings are not life-and-death to make the playoffs, and with a good push could reach 100 points again. The Red Wings have seven games to play and can finish with a maximum of 105 points.

Getting everyone healthy, as has been mentioned in this space quite a few times, is key. It also doesn't hurt that rookie goalie Jimmy Howard has looked like anything but a rookie. Of course, Howard actually is 26 and has four seasons of AHL experience under his belt, so he has developed a game coming into this season.

"It really, really helped," Howard told NHL.com's John Manasso of his time with the Grand Rapids Griffins. "The extra year down there was very beneficial for me and I was able to iron out some things."

"He's a guy that's done a good job for us," Wings coach Mike Babcock said. "He's gotten us to the point we're at. The test of time is what he's got to survive. There're been lots of goalies that have come into the League and some even won the rookie of the year and then you don't keep it going."

Very true, but for now, Howard ranks among the NHL's goaltending leaders -- not rookie leaders -- and his play has helped carry the Red Wings to familiar territory.

"I think he's just been getting better and better, especially once he settled down and started feeling comfortable in net, he's been outstanding for us," Wings captain Nicklas Lidstrom said.

Aside from Howard, getting Johan Franzen back among the forwards, working primarily with Pavel Datsyuk, has been huge, and a healthy Andreas Lilja has cemented the top six on defense.

"I think we're really starting to show how we want to be playing the game, like we have in the past few years here," Niklas Kronwall told the Detroit Free Press. "We're playing more quickly on defense -- anytime anyone gets into our zone, we've been doing a better job of getting to the puck and making that first tape-to-tape pass a lot quicker. So instead of spending 30-40 seconds in your own zone, now we're on offense instead much quicker. Howie has been playing great for us -- some nights when we haven't been playing our best, he still has given us a chance."

Amazing season continues -- Patric Hornqvist's heroics keep the Nashville Predators strong season rolling right along. Monday night, Hornqvist scored his 30th goal of the season to force overtime and Francis Bouillon scored in overtime to give the Preds a win against the Florida Panthers and a three-point edge on the Red Wings for the sixth seed in the Western Conference.

"We didn't play a great game, that's for sure," Nashville coach Barry Trotz said. "We didn't have a lot of energy and a lot of juice. We had to get that out. The positive thing is, when we didn't have much going on today, we found a way to get it tied up and we found a way to win it."

Thanks in large part to Hornqvist, who has been a bright light in Nashville all season. As NHL.com's John Manasso reported, Hornqvist's 30 goals are more than Henrik Zetterberg, his linemate at the Olympics, and Tomas Holmstrom, the player to whom Hornqvist most often is compared.

Not bad for a player who was selected with the final pick of the 2005 Entry Draft and who scored just 2 goals in 28 games last season.

Predators General Manager David Poile hardly can contain himself with the idea that his team has a player who can prove as nettlesome in front of the net and creates as much havoc for the opposition as Holmstrom.

"With respect to Holmstrom, Holmstrom has a little bit of a longer track record," Poile told Manasso. "But the comparison is truly there. It's nice especially since we're playing in their division to have somebody to come back against them" -- he starts chuckling -- "having Holmstrom in the face of our goalies for years and years to have somebody in the face of their goalies."

"Well, he's been a surprise this year in being able to put up the numbers he has," Predators coach Barry Trotz said. "It's no surprise that he gets all his goals from the six inches in front of the crease. … To me, the game just slowed down for him. Last year the game was happening too quick. And that's just the threshold he had to get through as a young player.

"His courage to do what he does on a nightly basis is tremendous. It's the kind of admiration you would have for a Holmstrom and he's done it for a long time, so probably not that level yet, but in that direction. He's scoring goals where you need to score goals now in the National Hockey League, and you see the production he's getting and I think other players could take note of that."

It's official: Hawks slumping -- Sunday's 4-2 loss to the Columbus Blue Jackets was the seventh in 10 games for the Chicago Blackhawks, and with the regular season in its waning days, the slump couldn't come at a worse time.

"Every time we let one game slip, it's getting closer to playoff time," center John Madden told Chris Kuc of the Chicago Tribune. "We all know we're not playing very well, and for whatever reason it's become a little contagious. We have to figure it out and get playing better."

"We have to ... realize we have a chance to win the Stanley Cup this year," defenseman Brent Seabrook said. "You don't get too many opportunities to do that. With this team, I definitely think that there's a chance here. I know a lot of the guys in the room do, too. We have to pull together and be better."

"We've got eight games (remaining), and certainly we're not pleased with the pace of our game," Hawks coach Joel Quenneville said. "We had stretches in the second period that were effective, some shifts in the third, but not enough of it."

Did you know? -- Detroit defenseman Nicklas Lidstrom reached the 1,400-game plateau when he took the ice at Edmonton last Friday. Lidstrom, who has played his entire career in Detroit since entering the NHL in 1991, is the seventh player in League history to play at least 1,400 games for one team -- but he's the fourth Red Wing. According to NHL.com numbers guru John Kreiser, Gordie Howe (1,687), Steve Yzerman (1,514) and Alex Delvecchio (1,509) are the other Red Wings. Ray Bourque (1,518) and Johnny Bucyk (1,436) with Boston and Mike Modano (1,454) with the Stars in Minnesota and Dallas are the other NHLers with those long tenures.

Lidstrom is the fourth to play 1,400 or more games and spend his whole career with one team -- but the third Wing to do so, joining Delvecchio and Yzerman. Modano -- ironically, a Michigan native -- is the only other player with 1,400 games with one franchise, though he's done it in two cities.

Points to ponder -- After a shootout victory against Nashville, Mike Babcock asked reporters a question: "Who's the best team in the West?"

Babcock then answered and made his point.

"I think Chicago's probably the best team in the West, but San Jose might be," Babcock said. "I guess that's what I'm trying to say is, I don't know if you interview 10 people if they'd all give you the same three. That's how tight the League is now and obviously with our experience, if we can get into the tournament, we feel we have a chance."

Baby steps for Jackets -- There won't be a berth in the playoffs for the Columbus Blue Jackets this spring, but a positive sign for the team is that its young players are picking up their games.

In a 4-2 win against Chicago Sunday night, goalie Steve Mason got the win and made 33 saves. Winger Jakub Voracek had 2 goals and an assist, and Derick Brassard picked up a pair of assists.

"They really are this team's future," said "old guy" Rick Nash to Aaron Portzline of the Columbus Dispatch. "It's great to see them playing well and playing with confidence.

"You look around the NHL and other teams are getting big contributions from young players. We need that here, too. It's been great to see. It's a real good sign for our future."

Around the Central -- Duncan Keith and Brent Seabrook are no longer an item. Coach Joel Quenneville now uses Seabrook with Niklas Hjalmarsson and Keith with Brent Sopel. Why? "We tried to get a little balance there," Quenneville said. "When you're not winning, you mix up the lines, and you can always try mixing up the 'D' a little bit, too." … Another bad sign for the Blackhawks -- their power play is connecting at just 14.5 percent at home, last in the NHL. … Against the Blue Jackets, Chicago defenseman Kim Johnsson missed his seventh game with a concussion and Nick Boynton was a healthy scratch for the first time in six games since being recalled from Rockford of the AHL on March 16. … Forward Trevor Frischmon made his NHL debut Sunday night for Columbus at age 28. "The guy just plays a really reliable game," coach Claude Noel told the Columbus Dispatch. "He's not an offensive player, but he's a guy we can rely on to give us reliable, hard minutes." … Another Columbus rookie, defenseman Grant Clitsome, pleased Noel with his play against Chicago, just his fifth NHL game. Noel told the Dispatch that Clitsome was steady and smart with the puck. Coaches love players who are steady and smart with the puck. … After an unexcused absence at Saturday's practice, Blues center Patrik Berglund was a healthy scratch Sunday against the Edmonton Oilers. "We all know that he wasn't at practice yesterday, and as a result, there's consequences to our actions," coach Davis Payne told the St. Louis Post-Dispatch. "He broke a team rule, and this was our decision to take him out of the lineup tonight."

LINK (http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=523266)

Also, highlights from the nearly blown affair against the always feisty Oilers:

<object width="640" height="383" id="embed" classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000"><param name="movie" value="http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/embed.swf" /><param name="quality" value="high" /><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /><param name="flashVars" value="hlg=20092010,2,1138&server=http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/&pageurl=http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/&nlwa=http://app2.neulion.com/videocenter/nhl/" /><embed name="embed" pluginspage="http://www.adobe.com/go/getflashplayer" src="http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/embed.swf" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="640" height="383" quality="high" allowFullScreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" flashVars="hlg=20092010,2,1138&server=http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/&pageurl=http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/&nlwa=http://app2.neulion.com/videocenter/nhl/"></embed></object>

Beamer
March 31, 2010, 09:55 AM
I think Red Wings will end up with no.5. That will give them a match up with Coyotes ( no.4 ). They are the best story of the league this year.

Chicago has huge goalie issues. They still don't know their no.1 goalie. Is it Huet? or Niemi? I think JQ should decide on them now.

We play Tampa tonight. Malkin and Gonchar still possibly out, though both are practicing today. Since Devils lost last night, two points tonight will give us a three point lead. Tampa always play us hard and I expect another grinding physical affair tonight. Young Steve Stamkos is unreal. His shot is as lethal as Ovechkin's.