PDA

View Full Version : why not?!!!

Hasib
January 4, 2004, 10:34 PM
Can any one suggest to me why the follow on wasn't enforced?!!! I'm talkn about the Aus verses India match. I turned the television on and the Australian were feilding!!! I know they didn't avoid the follow on mark.

Arnab
January 4, 2004, 10:36 PM
The Indians want to score quickly in the next 30-odd overs to reach a lead of 350+ and then let the aussies bat again, preferably bowling them out on the 5th day.

Also a much needed rest for bowlers, especially kumble.

[Edited on 5-1-2004 by Arnab]

Hasib
January 5, 2004, 03:54 AM
Only the resting part sounds normal.

Arnab
January 5, 2004, 04:22 AM
Well, it looks like they made sure Aus cannot win the match.

10 wickets on the fifth day, with some catches being held, and some Kumble magic, could be possible.

Navarene
January 5, 2004, 04:35 AM
I think India didn't want to bat on 5th day's bouncy uneven pitch and this is the only reason India has enforced the follow on and decided to bat on day 4 and thus left aussie to bat on day 5. Does it make any sense?

Navarene
January 5, 2004, 04:41 AM
ooops, pls read "has NOT enforced the follow on" in my previous thread.

Arnab
January 5, 2004, 05:06 AM
I don't think India had any plans to play on the fifth day at all. The goal was to quickly score runs for the remainder of the 4th day to give Australia an unreachable target and then make them bat.

Which is exactly what they did.

Navarene
January 5, 2004, 05:18 AM
Hi Arnab! Neither did I think that India had any plan to bat on day 5 and that's why the follow on was not enforced.