PDA

View Full Version : I welcome Ireland

Tigers_eye
November 3, 2009, 11:23 AM
With future in mind I welcome Ireland's effort in trying to become a Full member in ICC. Huge huge step and lots of difficulties ahead. I hope BCB helps them every way possible if they ask for.

The process will take at least 5+ years.

With Ed Joyce, Eoin Morgan, Johnston like players they can go head and become better if infrastructure is built properly.

http://www.cricinfo.com/ireland/content/current/story/432837.html

Ireland in hot pursuit of Full Member status
Alex Brown
November 3, 2009

Ireland have announced an ambitious plan to ascend to Full Member status within the ICC. The Irish will seek to become the ICC's eleventh Full Member nation, and the first to rise from the Associate ranks since Bangladesh in 2000.

Nadim
November 3, 2009, 11:26 AM
Congrats Ireland:D

btw isn't Ed Joyce & Eoin Morgan playing for England?

AsifTheManRahman
November 3, 2009, 11:26 AM
They certainly have the players to get there. The question is, will they be able to develop the infrastructure and interest in the game within the next five years? If they can, they will definitely be worthy opponents in the Test arena and we might even lose to them now and then.

AsifTheManRahman
November 3, 2009, 11:27 AM
btw isn't Ed Joyce & Eoin Morgan playing for England?
In the event of a couple of failures in England and the right amount of money in Ireland, who is to say they won't come back? Hint: Gavin Hamilton.

Ashfaq
November 3, 2009, 11:31 AM
Our board should back this move as emphatically as they can. We have played the "globalization" card for 8 years. It's time we share our desert.

Shafin
November 3, 2009, 11:37 AM
Question is, how much oil they can massage into india's backside? Coz its all a game of votes now. With the new axis of ind/aus/eng, they might pull it off.

bujhee kom
November 3, 2009, 11:59 AM
Full support and all the best to Ireland Cricket! I hope that BCB extends it's hand in support of Ireland and developing cricket in there furthermore and them achieving full status! I think of BD-Zim-IRE as brothers in developing and creating a new cricket revolution and achieving strength to challange the big 8. Ireland or Zimbabwe's gain is Bangladesh's gain, we are in it together.

Best of luck to Ireland!

nycpro96
November 3, 2009, 12:26 PM
Best of Luck to Ireland!

akabir77
November 3, 2009, 01:37 PM
I don't like Ireland.

bangla-red
November 3, 2009, 01:47 PM
I don't like Ireland.

Oh no, guess their plans are pointless now they know what you think.

Ajfar
November 3, 2009, 01:51 PM
its going to be a very hard case for Ireland. specially with BD not setting up a very good example for the last 8 years, but it won't be impossible.

Murad
November 3, 2009, 01:57 PM
THey don't deserve it just like BD didn't deserve it in 2000.

auntu
November 3, 2009, 02:03 PM
THey don't deserve it just like BD didn't deserve it in 2000.
True and ICC should not make the same mistake. Also cricket is not that much popular in Ireland.

Fazal
November 3, 2009, 02:04 PM
I also welcome Ireland.

Kintu Baba ra, abar amader baaash diba na to?

akabir77
November 3, 2009, 02:33 PM
Oh no, guess their plans are pointless now they know what you think.

very smart!!!!

i didn't make my comment for them!!!

Raynman
November 3, 2009, 05:05 PM
Best of luck to them. They have worked hard and proved to be considerably better than the other associates and have every right to be a full member nation team. The ICC schedule will get more crowded but that maybe the push thats needed to put an end to bi lateral FTPs once and for all.

I welcome them.

IanW
November 3, 2009, 09:35 PM
After the tour of England, Bangladesh should duck across the Irish Sea for several games, including at least one four-day game.

I'd also send the Bangladesh-A team on a solid tour of Scotland and Ireland.

bujhee kom
November 3, 2009, 09:40 PM
Yeah, Ireland and Scotland rock man! Full support and love!

al Furqaan
November 4, 2009, 01:27 AM
if ireland doesnt deserve it, no one does. ICC must step up and show they really are about globilization and not keeping test cricket some elitist or financial trump card.

ireland should get test status within 2 years. 5+ years is too long. honestly, if u give them the status now, they can build grounds - which they probably already have - in 2 years easily. they can get a domestic setup going, get some money, and pay their players.

ireland deserves it. and ICC better not let them down. ireland are the only country that looks ready for tests out of the associates, and i hope in 10 years time afghanistan will join that rank as well.

all the best to the Irish!

we can futher boost our wins and stats, who cares if S Rajesh won't accept it, a new test nation is as exciting as parents having a brand new baby! and bangladesh will struggle to win tests in ireland especially early in the season.

yaseer
November 4, 2009, 02:27 AM
From Bangladesh perspective, Ireland's inclusion as a Test team has both positives and negatives.

Positive is simple, it will increase our chances to win more games.

Negative is, with teams like Ireland, Scottland pushing for test status and also Zimbabwe considering to make a come back, it will be very much tempting for ICC to divide the Test teams with 2 tier with teams like Bangladesh, Zimbebwe, Ireland, Scottland, Netherlands, Canada, Kenya. ICC then can have a relegation system such that best team from tier-2 within a given period promoted to tier-1 and the worst team from tier-1 relegated to tier-2.

Apart from this, Ireland's inclusion will be positive from Bangladesh perspective.

Imteaz
November 4, 2009, 02:50 AM
Welcome. :)

al Furqaan
November 4, 2009, 06:29 AM
From Bangladesh perspective, Ireland's inclusion as a Test team has both positives and negatives.

Negative is, with teams like Ireland, Scottland pushing for test status and also Zimbabwe considering to make a come back, it will be very much tempting for ICC to divide the Test teams with 2 tier with teams like Bangladesh, Zimbebwe, Ireland, Scottland, Netherlands, Canada, Kenya. ICC then can have a relegation system such that best team from tier-2 within a given period promoted to tier-1 and the worst team from tier-1 relegated to tier-2.

Apart from this, Ireland's inclusion will be positive from Bangladesh perspective.

i dont think a two tier system will come into play. the reason being is that ireland is just one country added. kenya, scotland, netherlands, canada, and afghanistan are far too weak to think about test status. irelander test status hoi keena dekte hobe, forget about anyone else. i do dream of a day not too far from now, where 12 test teams will exist, but before that magic number, zimbabwe has to come back, and ireland has to get promotion.

for an even tiered system, they would have to relegate 2 of the top 8 sides with us. none of the top 8 sides would allow that to happen, and hence i think ICC would be forced to keep the status quo.

oracle
November 4, 2009, 06:54 AM
I don't think the 2 tier idea will materialize. First of all West Indies will oppose it and this will jeopardize the whole test match ideal.

Test status of Ireland is on- just a question of time. But I had hoped either Canada or USA should have been at the forefront as they have potentially far better things to offer the others -especially in terms of money.

cricket_king
November 4, 2009, 07:00 AM
Well they're certainly up to our level, usually better. So why not?

Mahmood
November 4, 2009, 07:57 AM
They neither have the infrastructure nor the public interest. They remind me of the Mighty Kenya once, who reached the WC semis. They had some good players, but soon, they went down, as they do not have a big pool of players. Ireland has a similar situation. Immigrants players, small pool of local players can give you random success time to time, but not worthy of Full Membership.

al Furqaan
November 4, 2009, 08:01 AM
They neither have the infrastructure nor the public interest. They remind me of the Mighty Kenya once, who reached the WC semis. They had some good players, but soon, they went down, as they do not have a big pool of players. Ireland has a similar situation. Immigrants players, small pool of local players can give you random success time to time, but not worthy of Full Membership.

having test status can generate interest. does new zealand have a broad player base or fan support? it can work. the irish have been dominating for several years and have many young good players. they aren't like kenya. and kenya too could have developed into a decent side had they not shot themselves in the foot and then been abandoned by the ICC.

in my opinion, ireland should be given test status immediately, should try to get their players like morgan and joyce back from england and try to move forward.

it would be my dream to see, by 2020, zimbabwe regain test status, and have both ireland and afghanistan become elevated to the rank of test status. none of the other teams have the interest or infrastructure to get test status in the coming decades.

auntu
November 4, 2009, 09:28 AM
Well said Mahmud bhai.

I think ICC should give them 3-4 years to work on their infrastructure and generating new player.

Nafi
November 4, 2009, 10:01 AM
it would be my dream to see, by 2020, zimbabwe regain test status, and have both ireland and afghanistan become elevated to the rank of test status.

I think even by 2020, afghanistan may still be a security risk.

akabir77
November 4, 2009, 10:49 AM

i dont think a two tier system will come into play. the reason being is that ireland is just one country added. kenya, scotland, netherlands, canada, and afghanistan are far too weak to think about test status. irelander test status hoi keena dekte hobe, forget about anyone else. i do dream of a day not too far from now, where 12 test teams will exist, but before that magic number, zimbabwe has to come back, and ireland has to get promotion.

for an even tiered system, they would have to relegate 2 of the top 8 sides with us. none of the top 8 sides would allow that to happen, and hence i think ICC would be forced to keep the status quo.

exactly... al furqaan bhai they r thinking about making two tier with 10/ teams and if they have another one that will let icc have the power to make this change. IR means a vote for eng-aus-sa-NZ-IR = 5
IND-PAK-SL-BD-ZIM= 5

So WI will become the trump and to keep WI in the loop they will say 1st 8 team one tier and last 3 in 2nd tier etc etc.

I

Raynman
November 4, 2009, 11:23 AM

How can you expect players to choose cricket as a lifestyle if there are no opportunities?

Ireland is surprising that hey have kept their strength for the duration they have. Kenya could've been more had it been funded and they didn't have the political issues they have.

nycpro96
November 4, 2009, 04:03 PM
when is Zimbabwe getting their test status back?

AsifTheManRahman
November 4, 2009, 04:06 PM
Not any time soon if they continue to play like this.

Murad
November 4, 2009, 04:50 PM
Ireland started playing first-class cricket more than 100 years before. But they are still where they were at that time.

Raynman
November 4, 2009, 05:06 PM
Ireland started playing first-class cricket more than 100 years before. But they are still where they were at that time.

Ireland is in a waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better place now than NZ, SL and BD were at their debut.

nycpro96
November 4, 2009, 06:10 PM
Ireland is in a waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better place now than NZ, SL and BD were at their debut.

this is true

Nafi
November 5, 2009, 10:11 AM
Bangladesh should have a first class match with Ireland, just to show the gap between them and the even the lowest ranked test nation.

Beamer
November 5, 2009, 12:00 PM
I disagree with some. If Ireland is elevated, there will definitely be some sort of tier system in place and test championships in play, with relegation and promotion of teams in order to justify and satisfy the bigger nations.

Eshen
November 5, 2009, 05:49 PM
I disagree with some. If Ireland is elevated, there will definitely be some sort of tier system in place and test championships in play, with relegation and promotion of teams in order to justify and satisfy the bigger nations.
That's my thinking too. If Ireland is elevated, and may be with Afghanistan to follow them soon, I think stronger boards will finally agree to a world championship with tiers so that they can avoid playing with weaker teams.

I am ok with tiers as long it's 6 teams each, or even better three tiers of 5 teams each, with promotions and relagations. But if ICC decides to keep top 8 teams in first tier, and then create the second tier with BD and lesser strength teams - that's obviously won't be a good news for us.

Beamer
November 6, 2009, 12:46 PM
That's my thinking too. If Ireland is elevated, and may be with Afghanistan to follow them soon, I think stronger boards will finally agree to a world championship with tiers so that they can avoid playing with weaker teams.

I am ok with tiers as long it's 6 teams each, or even better three tiers of 5 teams each, with promotions and relagations. But if ICC decides to keep top 8 teams in first tier, and then create the second tier with BD and lesser strength teams - that's obviously won't be a good news for us.

I am Ok with tiers as well, if it consists of 4 teams in each tier, with a total of three tiers ( 12 teams ). 6 teams won't make WI, NZ happy, and they will refuse. But, the middle tier will have some compelling matches against good teams trying to go up a notch. First tier will also see great action. Test championships are a must. If we start in third tier, which is fine by me, we will almost surely gain enough points to get elevated to the second tier. Once we get there, all the four teams in our tier will have to play one another, either to stay, move up or fall down. But, at least, others will be required to play us, unlike the whimsical FTP thats in place now, which is at the mercy of individual boards.

revolver
November 6, 2009, 12:48 PM
let them come they will get bashed all the time aswell

AsifTheManRahman
November 6, 2009, 01:32 PM
I'm OK with tiers too, as long as there are 11 teams in each.

al Furqaan
November 7, 2009, 03:32 PM
i don't liek the idea of promotion/relegation. its a dumb idea given the current logistical reality. BD are the team that will perpetually be promoted and relegated. the minnows are to weak to beat us, and the g8 sides are to strong to lose to us. it makes no real its the most circular idiotic thing done for the sake of just doing something.

the ICC needs to step up. they need to enforce the FTP while also securing the elite teams financial cocerns. but the BCCI driven lust for money needs to stop.

BD being put in a 2nd tier is not going to do any good. it is actually un-developing the game, not developing it further. its very much a retrograde move.

anyway i dont the ICC will do it. and hopefully zimbabwe can return to test cricket, all the need is sean ervine back (i think craig ervine has already come back). ireland should be added as well, and maybe in 10-15 years afghanistan can become the 12th test playing nation, playing only away tests or maybe they can play their home tests in the UAE like pakistan.

raf-stah
November 12, 2009, 12:07 AM
i think i heard that all the other 10 countries get a vote. having said this, the full member countries also share in the ICC's income from big events eg world cups. so why would the 10 nations want to vote them in n receive less money?

Nocturnal
November 12, 2009, 01:03 AM
Roy Keane for Ireland captain!! :-D

revolver
November 12, 2009, 02:37 PM
Roy Keane for Ireland captain!! :-D

lol..he wud make the best captain