PDA

View Full Version : For Those Who Dislike Ray Price

zimfan
November 11, 2009, 08:57 AM
it has come to my attenyion over this year that Ray Price is not the most popular cricketer with the Bangladesh fans but i feel that its becasue people dont understand Ray Price and where his passion for the game comes from.

This is an article about him which tells you about the man and why he loves the game, and why he shows so much passion for playing in ZImbabwe colours.

"Zimbabwe's finest Price
Article By: Dan Nicholl
Tue, 10 Nov 2009 13:15

Officially, Sunday’s man of the match in Benoni was Tatenda Taibu, the miniature Zimbabwean wicketkeeper who’s been through the worst of his cricket’s ugly political treadmill.

Fitting, then, that his hundred should come up against South Africa, the country best poised to have helped the game north of the border, but which displayed an apathy in keeping with South Africa’s general political approach to dealing with Zimbabwe; a small victory for a man doing his best to help patch together a shadow of side beyond the Limpopo.

But if Taibu showed up the frailties of South Africa’s bowling unit, short on match practice and susceptible to the counter-attack, then it was another of the old hands you provided the most entertainment on Sunday.

Watching Raymond Price in action is one of modern cricket’s great sights, a curious blend of excitement, facial contortions, Seles-like groans and good, honest left-arm orthodox spin bowling; watch him take off when he snares a wicket, and you see a pure jubilation few others across the professional sporting spectrum come close to touching.

For most, watching Price offers the twin pleasures of a solid, hardworking craftsman holding up the Zimbabwean attack — what he lacks in the variation of a Vettori or flight of a Panesar, he makes up for with guile, control and an uncanny ability to second-guess the batsman — and an entertainer not concerned with letting his emotions run free on the field. But for me, watching Raymond — nephew of golf great Nick Price — is an act of nostalgia, for the Zimbabwean all-rounder (as he insists on being called) was my schoolboy skipper, opening partner, and the hardest working cricketer I’ve ever met.

We used to call him Linford Bland: Linford, ‘cos you could time him doing the hundred metres with a sun dial, and Bland, because his fielding was somewhere between Phil Tufnell and Devon Malcolm.

But in the space of a year, he turned into someone completely different — not quite the secret lovechild of Usain Bolt and Jonty Rhodes, perhaps, but an athletic cricketer with safe hands and a markedly improved technique.

It came from hours of fielding, along with endless sessions in the nets working on his game, to the extent that by his final year in high school, managed two centuries and countless fifties opening the batting, amassed an obscene number of wickets, and only missed out on selection for the Zimbabwe Schools team by virtue of hailing from an unfashionable school, a fate that also befell seamer Mpumulelo Mbangwa, better known to most South Africans now as dreadlocked Pommie the overexcited commentator.

But where the limited scope of opportunity in Zimbabwean cricket diverted promising talent into alternative endeavours post-school, Price was always determined, in a simple, matter of fact way (there’s never been a hint of arrogance to the man), that he was going to play for Zimbabwe, and a combination of perseverance, industry, and an ability to bowl miserly spells to the finest of batsmen, eventually saw him into the national side, and from there to the career as a cricketing gypsy that became the only option for so many Zimbabwean players as the game fell apart in their homeland.

Price ended up at Worcestershire, always a favourite Zimbabwean destination given Graeme Hick’s presence at New Road, but eventually forsook a career in England to return home, and make good on that still passionate aim: to play for Zimbabwe. And when you saw his reaction to having Graeme Smith caught on the midwicket boundary, or the awkward, shuffling dance he brought out in celebration, then you saw a sight at odds with the sanitised world of commercial sport: somebody playing the game for the love of it, and no more. Which, when you could be comfortably off in England, earning pounds and not having to deal with the vagaries of day to day life in Harare, is exactly what Raymond Price is doing.

Heath Streak is back in the side, albeit as coach rather than much needed seamer, and Davey Houghton, still a hero to any Zimbabwean cricket fan, is on board as director of coaching; slowly, and with tentative steps, the game in Zimbabwe is trying to stumble to its feet. There are pockets of talent, Price and Taibu the key figures there, but an awful lot remains for Zimbabwe to get anywhere to the days when Streak, the brothers Flower and Strang, Murray Goodwin, Henry Olonga, Neil Johnson and the Whittal cousins had made their country genuinely competitive against any of the big sides.

Replacing those names is a mammoth task, but if some of the current team can learn from games against South Africa, if players like Sean Ervine and Travis Friend can be lured home, and if the ICC makes honest efforts to support cricket in Zimbabwe, then there is a shred of hope. Set against that, however, is the continued uncertainty in a country still an awfully long way from stability, and the knowledge that slipping back into the recent darkness (in as much as Zimbabwe has emerged from it) is always a dangerously close possibility.

Not that Price will let any such negativity invade his perspective: the man is clinically optimistic, and always has been, his furious hand gestures and homemade brand of English (he habitually makes words up, and then looks at you in complete amazement when you profess difficulty in understanding him) all part of an eternally energetic, positive person. And that, you suspect, is just as important to this young Zimbabwean team as his nagging slow bowling and tactical nous; no superstar, perhaps, but right now, Raymond Price is clearly Zimbabwe’s most valuable cricketer."

auntu
November 11, 2009, 09:21 AM
Ray Price = [বাংলা]ঘাউরা[/বাংলা] (Ghaura = Stubborn)

Ashfaq
November 11, 2009, 09:33 AM
Bangladesh is closest thing to Nemesis that Price has. He should wear our dislike with pride, for he earned it through performances that set him head and shoulder above his peers.

Purbasha T
November 11, 2009, 09:57 AM
I don't dislike him. He's alright and a really good bowler.

BangladeshFan
November 11, 2009, 09:59 AM
he is not as good as he considers himself to be.

beshideshi
November 11, 2009, 10:12 AM
there is enthusiasm and there is just pure stubbornness. Being a professional cricketer Price should seek to hide his emotions as much as possible. But he expresses himself in a very displeasing manner in many occasions.
But Price should be proud that he has haters, only good enough players can salvage haters half way across the world

pichchi
November 11, 2009, 10:28 AM
The reason we dislike him is because he is always successful against Bangladesh- so I guess that should be a compliment :)

pichchi
November 11, 2009, 10:29 AM
Another player we dislike (when they play against Bangladesh) is the Masterclass- Taibu... what a player!!

pichchi
November 11, 2009, 10:39 AM
Nice Read btw.. Price reminds me of Rafique- a player with limited talent but a determination and perseverance that will surely take them to the top. Respect.

fan_frm_the_uk
November 11, 2009, 10:54 AM
he is a decent bowler, but i dont like his attitude, every single ball he makes a face that he cant believe how the batsman survived even if the ball travels the distance and disappears in the crowd

Purbasha T
November 11, 2009, 10:58 AM
he is a decent bowler, but i dont like his attitude, every single ball he makes a face that he cant believe how the batsman survived even if the ball travels the distance and disappears in the crowd

:floor: :floor:

dash
November 11, 2009, 11:11 AM
he is a pure "theater"....but probably thats why he is interesting to watch......
i love watching people with emotion.....but he over does it sometimes and goes beyond the point of "acceptable"

revolver
November 11, 2009, 12:40 PM
he is a good player
him and taibu stand out in the zim squad

AsifTheManRahman
November 11, 2009, 01:21 PM
Bangladesh is closest thing to Nemesis that Price has. He should wear our dislike with pride, for he earned it through performances that set him head and shoulder above his peers.
I don't think the dislike comes from his performance as much as it does from his attitude. He's definitely not great enough for his attitude.

Anyways, I still can't stand him. Him and Nel and Bhaji deserve to get the hagu beaten out of them by guys like Tamim and Shakib.

Nafi
November 11, 2009, 01:24 PM
I don't think the dislike comes from his performance as much as it does from his attitude. He's definitely not great enough for his attitude.

Anyways, I still can't stand him. Him and Nel and Bhaji deserve to get the hagu beaten out of them by guys like Tamim and Shakib.

Good comparisons. Add Shane Watson to that list

simon
November 11, 2009, 01:37 PM
He likes sledging & he is arrogant.
That's engh for me to dislike him a bit.

Purbasha T
November 11, 2009, 01:50 PM
Him and Nel and Bhaji deserve to get the hagu beaten out of them by guys like Tamim and Shakib.

Good comparisons. Add Shane Watson to that list

Sreesanth?

AsifTheManRahman
November 11, 2009, 01:57 PM
Sreesanth deserves to get beaten up by everyone, not just our guys.

auntu
November 11, 2009, 01:58 PM

Yes, sure. Also can you add that so called pacer of Indian team who just recalled, who used to wear glass off the field... just can't recall his name. Something with S...you know it's tough to remember average player's name...

Ajfar
November 11, 2009, 02:22 PM

na re bhai beshi mair dewar dorkar nai. bhaji hate ek thappor khawar por dekhen nah ki obostha. er por ki hobe Allah jane.

here have a good laugh
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6HvTVdGXgE&feature=related

RazabQ
November 11, 2009, 04:01 PM
Zimfan, the dislike of Price stems from the fact this his histrionics keep writing checks that his talent and skill level cannot cash. Taibu is an arrogant *** too but I don't dislike him because he backs it up. In Bangla we have an expression [বাংলা]পোন্দ নাই তালু দিয়া পাদন ...[/বাংলা] which literally means "using your palms to make farts cuz you don't have ze booty" - that's Price for you.

RazabQ
November 11, 2009, 04:02 PM
BTW ... if Price is an all rounder then I'm a bonafide Bradman!

Nafi
November 11, 2009, 04:35 PM
his histrionics keep writing checks that his talent and skill level cannot cash.

Top gun reference?

RazabQ
November 11, 2009, 04:41 PM
@Nafi: nope ...

al Furqaan
November 12, 2009, 10:05 AM
ray price is over-rated, but then again every fan over rates their star players to the exclusion of others. there has to be some attitude and self belief, some arrogance in sports stars. some great athletes can do it without the trash talking - like Hakeem Olajuwon - and that is a testament to the purity of their character. but not all people don't have that in their psychological repertoire.

i think its good that zimbabwe have a rather audacious character in their side. i may not like him, i may think he's a very ordinary bowler, but i can respect zimbabwe's need for such a player.

Mahmood
November 12, 2009, 10:25 AM
Why is this thread in Bangladesh cricket forum? It belongs to the international cricket one.

Tigers_eye
November 12, 2009, 10:39 AM

For most, watching Price offers the twin pleasures of a solid, hardworking craftsman holding up the Zimbabwean attack — what he lacks in the variation of a Vettori or flight of a Panesar, he makes up for with guile, control and an uncanny ability to second-guess the batsman — and an entertainer not concerned with letting his emotions run free on the field. But for me, watching Raymond — nephew of golf great Nick Price — is an act of nostalgia, for the Zimbabwean all-rounder (as he insists on being called) was my schoolboy skipper, opening partner, and the hardest working cricketer I’ve ever met.
It came from hours of fielding, along with endless sessions in the nets working on his game, to the extent that by his final year in high school, managed two centuries and countless fifties opening the batting, amassed an obscene number of wickets, and only missed out on selection for the Zimbabwe Schools team by virtue of hailing from an unfashionable school, a fate that also befell seamer Mpumulelo Mbangwa, better known to most South Africans now as dreadlocked Pommie the overexcited commentator....."
Thank you for sharing.

Nick Price was the bomb. I watched him so many times swing in the Majors. I have few of his T-shirts. :) And Sharks of course.

People don't like his attitude meaning he got under their skins. That is Ray Price. Exposed SA for sure. You work hard and you will succeed.

lasith
November 12, 2009, 10:46 AM
Ray Price is good bowler

Yameen
November 12, 2009, 10:51 AM
There is nothing wrong with Ray Price and he is a damn good bowler..

Yes he may be loud on the field and be on the cocky side, but who isn't?

Most importantly, he a top performer who always gives his 100% and we should all appreciate that as cricket lovers..

Purbasha T
November 12, 2009, 11:42 AM
Price is Number 3 bowler in ODIs.

Check the rankings.

http://www.reliancemobileiccrankings.com

zman
November 12, 2009, 01:14 PM
Sledging or exchange of witty banter between cricketers which has always been part of the game since its inception is one thing and crude insult/unnecessary intimidation/racial slur are another. There's a fine line that seperates the two categories and in my view Ray price tends to cross it at times. If cricket is to retain its so called "gentlemen's sport" tag in contrast to my other fav sports such as baseball, basketball and football, I can accept it as long as we don't condone overly ungentlemanlike attitude.

revolver
November 12, 2009, 02:11 PM

lol i think he already does get hit by everyone

Ajfar
November 12, 2009, 03:33 PM
my favorite zim bowler will always be Olonga. his hairstyle alone was just enough to make him my favorite.

AsifTheManRahman
November 12, 2009, 04:00 PM
my favorite zim bowler will always be Olonga. his hairstyle alone was just enough to make him my favorite.
Is Malinga your second favorite then?

Ajfar
November 12, 2009, 04:03 PM
Is Malinga your second favorite then?

nah right now rajib is my second favorite, dekhen nah ki rokom bangla cinemar style kore lomba chul rakse. i'm so jealous. i'd be a pimp at uconn if i had hairs like that.

cricman
November 13, 2009, 12:04 AM
How is Ray Price 3rd ... Where is lala?

bujhee kom
November 13, 2009, 12:17 AM
Ray Price is the Ray Charles of cricket. He shakes his head while bowling and also play piano.

Zobair
November 13, 2009, 12:24 AM
He is a damn good bowler and clearly sees great benefit in getting under the batsman's skin. And he never gives up. Cricket needs lion-hearted characters like him!

cricket_king
November 13, 2009, 04:06 AM
I don't like Ray Price, never will either. I rate him very highly as a bowler, one of the best left-armers around no doubt. However, a man who goes around looking for trouble is simply not likable.

mij
November 13, 2009, 05:38 AM
I don't like Ray Price, never will either. I rate him very highly as a bowler, one of the best left-armers around no doubt. However, a man who goes around looking for trouble is simply not likable.

Agree.

al Furqaan
November 13, 2009, 07:27 AM
How is Ray Price 3rd ... Where is lala?

lalla is too good for the list... after they saw his zimbabwe stats, they realized his rating was infinite, and they didn't have the infinity symbol to put on the chart. hence he's been left out.