PDA

View Full Version : ODIs aren't done yet!

al Furqaan
November 15, 2009, 12:41 PM
http://www.cricinfo.com/india/content/current/story/434629.html

interesting article, and welcome one from my opinion. the recent 7 match ODI series between India and Australia did well both in terms of TV ratings and crowd attendance. it did better than the world t20, the champions league t20, and the champions trophy. even in the champions trophy, the indian matches earned huge revenues and were well attended. i have always argued that while test cricket is the pinnacle of the game, ODIs bring the perfect balance of classicism as well as innovation into cricket; 20 over cricket is just pure innovation. ODIs have the big hitting with the batting powerplay and the slog overs, and also offers opportunities to build an innings.

it appears that close contests and a home team are the ingredients needed to maintain the health of ODI cricket. it must also be noted that certain countries offer lively fan support more so than others. in my opinion, India, Bangladesh, Australia, South Africa, and England offer good to healthy attendance/TV ratings for cricket. Pakistan may or may not be on that list, but for ODI cricket they probably are. New Zealand, West Indies, and Sri Lanka languish towards the bottom for whatever reason.

of course this means that hosting such teams as bangladesh, sri lanka, and new zealand will probably remain commercially unviable, regardless of the strength of their cricket. but at least, bangladesh can earn large revenues even in a series against zimbabwe.

Nafi
November 15, 2009, 12:49 PM
ICC has always said ODI is where the money is at. Longer AD times

ANd T20 is just a promotional gimmick to increase the popularity of cricket.

magic boy
November 15, 2009, 12:50 PM
but at least, bangladesh can earn large revenues even in a series against zimbabwe.

exactly....Aus-Ind series = Bang-Zim series. Both are useful for respective country.

and One day International Cricket is really not yet sold out. Nobody haven't scored 200 yet.....:D

_Rafi_
November 15, 2009, 01:22 PM
Relief! ODI is alive!
<br />Posted via BC Mobile Edition (Opera Mobile)

nycpro96
November 15, 2009, 01:26 PM
i dont think ODI will die out

beshideshi
November 16, 2009, 11:12 PM
I think T20 is just going through the initial explosion and outburst of any product. It will attract more people to the game, but I believe ODI still generates more money than T20 can think of.
i read than BCCI earned 100mil$+ from the 7 match ODI series against Australia, where an IPL game only yields around 3mil $ per game. So its quite clear that ODI will still be in business for a long long time