PDA

View Full Version : Your favourite band?

mona
January 8, 2004, 09:32 AM
haha i know i've done this before with books but let's face it when it comes to telling people things about yourself, who can resist.
alright here are the Questions
1. Favourite Artist?
2. Favourite Album?
3. Favourite Song?
4. i) 2nd,3rd, 4th, 5th favourite Artist? or alternatively, ii) the Artists whose most songs you know off by heart.

if you guys can't or won't answer these i'll be very disappointed. ok here's me-

1. Weezer
2. Pinkerton
3. Say It Ain't So (Weezer)
4. and that's number ii) for me The Strokes, The Smashing Pumpkins, The Cure (sorry fab), Travis

nb: fab had a lot to do with that and i convey my utmost gratitude.

James90
January 8, 2004, 09:44 AM
1.Who ever does the voices for 12th man
2.The 12th man, The Final Dig?
3.Story of a Girl (Nine Days i think)
4ii) I don't think i know any songs off by heart

[Edited on 13-1-2004 by Habibul_fan]

arachnid
January 8, 2004, 10:59 AM
1. Blink 182.
2. Eve - 6 - eve6
3. Think Twice - Eve 6.
4. Eve 6, GreenDay, GnR & Johnny Rzeznick

rafiq
January 8, 2004, 11:13 AM
either you are speaking Aussie or I am really dated, probably the latter. The only bands I recognize from the above two posts is the Smashing Pumpkins because they grew up around here, and of course the Cure, one of my favorite bands (Boys Dont' Cry stays Close to Me in the car). Favorite bands? too many to list here, maybe later. SHould stop procrastinating and get back to work

Sami
January 8, 2004, 12:52 PM
1. Favourite Artist: Lucky Ali

2. Favourite Album(s): Everything You Want (vertical Horizon), All lucky ali albums, So long Astoria (The ataris)

3. Favourite Song(s): Poth Chola (Artcell), Anjani rahon Mein (Lucky Ali), November Rain (GnR) and some more... dont remember right now...

4. ii) the Artists whose most songs you know off by heart: Matchbox 20, The Ataris, Third Eye Blind, vertical Horizon, Artcell, Black, Linkin Park, The Calling, Kishore Kumar, Euphoria, Lifehouse... and the list continues...

Navarene
January 8, 2004, 01:07 PM
Leonard Cohen.....my all time favorite!

Arnab
January 8, 2004, 07:51 PM
My favorite band is, currently, Tool. I am a big heavy metal fan in general. It was a school thing. My school was probably the only school in BD with a devoted heavy metal fan base. I specifically like a sub genre of Metal called "Progressive Metal", where the songs are usually very long, epic and played by virtuoso musicians, lots of soloing, rhythmic complexity and time signature changes. Basically, high class complex metal music created by and for brainy people.

I like instrumentals of any kind. Guitarists, Celloists, Violinists, Tabla Players, Banjo players, Irish, Chinese, you name it, I probably like it.

My favorite classical composers are Rachmaninoff, Chopin and Liszt.

Among Jazz artists, I like the usual favorites: Miles Davies and John Coltrane.

I like the Beatles (especially Sgt. Peppers Lonely Heart Club band).

Among the alternative rock and nu-punk bands that are popular among teenies nowadays: I like third eye blind, eve6, offspring, and there are way too many to mention.

I also almost always like some of the songs that are on the contemporary pop charts, if they are catchy, hooky and matches my taste. For example, I like Christina Aguilera songs that I generally hear on Radio. Alanis Morisette, The Corrs, Barenaked Ladies, Shania Twain, Tom Petty, Del Amitri, there are too many artists that have done some of my all-time favorite songs.

Among Indian pop music that I heard over the years, I think I liked some Lucky Ali songs too. I also remember liking songs by Euphoria, Junoon and recently, Strings.

[Edited on 9-1-2004 by Arnab]

oracle
January 11, 2004, 08:12 AM
Right now am listening to some of Norah Jones stuff (yeh just to check out if she got something from her dad Ravi.

Hmm shes not bad but here are still my faves. In chronological order since i started listening:

The Eagles
The Doors
Bob Marley
Roy Orbison
Shostakovich- The score to The Gadfly.

Waiting in vain- Marley
lively up yourself-ditto
Hotel California-eagles
Light my fire-doors
ooby dooby-orbison

fab
January 11, 2004, 08:53 AM
1. Favourite Artist? - Radiohead

2. Favourite Album? - A toss between Hail to the Theif and The Cure's Disintegration

3. Favourite Song? - I dunno, it changes all the time.. but i always like fake plastic trees and talk show host

4. Well The Cure obviously, Smashing Pumpkins, Coldplay, Placebo, Portishead, Blur, the Prodigy's early stuff, Leftfield

I really like movie sound tracks, probably fave movie soundtracks would be trainspotting and romeo & juliet

I feel physically ill whenever I hear the formulaic chart topping Pop songs and wannabe alts (like Limp bizkit etc).. only Pop band I like is Coldplay.

fab
January 11, 2004, 08:54 AM
Originally posted by Habibul_fan

You don't like normal music? :-/

Arnab
January 12, 2004, 12:42 AM
Hail to the Thief is a pretty solid album. Better than the stuff on Amnesiac or Kid A. I like almost all the songs on HttT, except tracks 6 through 8 (The gloaming, etc.) My last GF was a Radiohead/Portishead/Tool fanatic. :)

fab
January 12, 2004, 09:08 PM
The thing with Radiohead is that they don't pander to the desires of their fans. That's why they're not scared to try out new things. So The Bends, OK Computer, is pretty different to Amnesiac. I like a few tracks from Amnesiac though. Unfortunately I havent listened to Kid A as I can't get hold of it in any music stores would you believe! I must have been on another planet when it was released.
HTTT is again very different to the other stuff they released. The first time I listened to it I thought "what a load of crap", but then after the second time I totally fell in love with it. The thing with Radiohead is that you have to give them time and LISTEN to what they are saying. They are not something you can listen to mindlessly like Pop songs :)

Arnab
January 12, 2004, 11:16 PM
Yeah, Radiohead creates some great sonic imagery through their songs. The ending of "Sit Down, Stand up" comes to mind. There's no point in uttering "the raindrops" in a monotone 42 times, accompanied by arcade video-game space gun shooting sounds nonetheless. Then you suddenly realize he's probably trying to create a vicarious feeling of raindrops hittng him while he's standing outside, as if the rain is trying to wash away the squalid feeling of a person trapped in an authoritarian 1984-ish nightmare scenario.

Neat stuff.

[Edited on 13-1-2004 by Arnab]

James90
January 13, 2004, 07:51 AM
Originally posted by fab
Originally posted by Habibul_fan

You don't like normal music? :-/

No I like normal music it's just that CD is damn funny!

mona
January 13, 2004, 09:27 PM
yeah James, i got the commentary box from kfc and the 12th man greatest hits....they are too funny, have you heard 'breakfast with the benauds' ? ahahah and the name pronounciation one?

James90
January 14, 2004, 05:48 AM
I should have got the greatest hits from KFC but didn't really feel like the burger....anyway no I haven't heard that the one i've got is just based on one theme and that's finding a new commentary team captain for Richie when he retires. I don't wanna give away too much but in an amazing turn of events it all ends up for the best

Shubho
January 14, 2004, 08:40 AM
...with my list of bands that no-one's mentioned. Does nobody listen to bangla music anymore?

1. Cryptic Fate
2. Watson Brothers
3. Black
4. Artcell
5. Nogor Baul
6. LRB (their early work)
7. Aurthohin

Arnab
January 14, 2004, 11:44 AM
Woot!! Shubho a Bangla metal fan? What are the odds for that?

Cryptic Fate? I saw them live two times back in BD. Probably the best metal band in BD. But do they have any bangla album out?

Black? My friend Asif used to be their lead guitarist, when they started out. Dunno if he still plays for them. I saw one of their earlier shows back in 2001. They were working on an album.

Artcell: My bro wanted me to check them out. Apprently a cool new Bangla metal band, according to him.

Aurthohin: I downloaded as many mp3s as I could from their website. Some great players in the band. The lead guitarists play some cool licks from time to time. And Sumon's bass is also pretty good, although his style is kinda copy paste from western bassists. Overall, a good band, technically better than 90% of the garbage out here in the US.

I don't really care about Nogor Baul or LRB. They are the quentessential putuputu emotional bands that cater to the tastes of general bangali middle class youth. Not my cup of tea.

[Edited on 14-1-2004 by Arnab]

Sami
January 14, 2004, 01:10 PM
My 2 cents on the bangla Metal Circuit:

The first Cryptic Fate song I heard was ''Amar shathe Ai''... it was the first band song that I had heard that had the ''tui tui'' thing in it... and i was like wow... I asked my gf to hear the song (she found me weird to be fascinated by the tui tui style)... :duh: been listening to cryptic fate ever since...

Artcell... Arnab this is for u... go here: Source (http://mp3.amadergaan.com/index.php?currentpath=%2FArtcell&invert=0&sort=name) And dnld Poth Chola... I am in love with this song... If you are not really hellbent against piracy i am willing to share artcell songs so that u can check 'em out... You will love them... Brilliance all the waaaaay!

Black is pure awesome... I have both theirs albums... was freaking hard to get the second one sitting here in germany... The first album has 60-70% songs worth every bit of praise that can be given.... The second one has some beautiful tracks... They are trying out new stuff... They even have a linkin Park style track... in some mixed album... I think its called opolap (u can get the track here: Source (http://mp3.amadergaan.com/index.php?currentpath=%2FBlack&invert=0&sort=name)) and I also strongly recommend dnlding the track called ''shlok'' available from that link...

LRB had some awesome song before... Ayub ''Chachchu'' ;) aint the same thing anymore... Tracks like ''Rupali guitar'', ''cholo bodle jai'' and ''ekhon onek raat'' will always be there in my top 100 list...

James (i think alternatively Nogor Baul)... I personally dont like him... but he has 2-3 songs that is worth listening to... but otherwise he is a load of crap...

Aurthohin.... Is Brilliant... Sumon sings awesome... their guitar work is fabulous to say the least... and the lyrics... A+

ummm thats all from me now... ciao ;)

fab
January 14, 2004, 07:37 PM
Shubho DEFINITELY comes across as a metalhead to me :D

There are just two things in the world that I absolutely cannot understand - Country Music & Heavy Metal..

weird stuff.

[Edited on 16-1-2004 by fab : *sigh* Some people are SO immature]

Arnab
January 15, 2004, 12:42 AM
Originally posted by fab
Shubho DEFINATELY comes across as a metalhead to me :D

There are just two things in the world that I absolutely cannot understand - Country Music & Heavy Metal..

weird stuff.

Yes, as far as metal is concerned, it is your loss, definAtely. Country music generally sucks though. :)

[Edited on 15-1-2004 by Arnab]

mona
January 15, 2004, 01:48 AM
Arnab can you ever let anything go? You DEFINITELY need to loosen up. Also I don't think your fellow tools...sorry, Tool fans, would appreciate you liking Shania Twain at the same time.

Arnab
January 15, 2004, 02:00 AM
I know. How can I like pop, heavy metal, death metal, rock, jazz, classical symphonies, piano sonatas & concertos, punk, Rabindra Shongit, tabla, sitar, santoor, guitar and bass instrumentals, keyboard solos, banjo, saxophone, irish flute, african tribal music, oriental music, gazhal, arabian music, egyptian music, samba, dance, hiphop, rap, bluegrass, alternative rock, chill-out music, spacey atmospheric music, 70s art rock, Floyd's psychadelic rock, 80s hair rock, grunge, jazz, what have you --- all at the same time?

But I do!

Open your mind, Mona. Do it while you're still young. :)

mona
January 15, 2004, 02:08 AM
it's ok, i'll live

mona
January 15, 2004, 02:10 AM
don't you care about lyrics though?

Arnab
January 15, 2004, 06:36 AM
Yes, I do care about lyrics. For example, I have listened to no other contemporary band that writes more beautiful and profound lyrics than Tool. Do you want examples?

1. Something kinda sad about,
the way that things have come to be.
Desensitized to everything.
What became of subtlety?

How can it mean anything to me,
if I really don't feel a thing at all?

I'll, keep, digging
till I, feel, something.

Elbow deep inside the borderline.
Show me that you love me and that we belong together.
Shoulder deep within the borderline.
Relax, turn around and take my hand.

2. Saw that gap again today
while you were begging me to stay.
Managed to push myself away,
and you, as well, my dear.

If, when I say I might fade like a sigh if I stay,
you minimize my movement anyway,
I must persuade you another way.

3. I embrace my desire to
feel the rhythm, to
feel connected,
enough to step aside and,
weep like a widow, to
feel inspired, to
fathom the power, to
witness the beauty, to
bathe in the fountain, to
swing on the spiral of
our divinity and
still be a human

With my feet upon the ground I move myeslf between the sounds and open wide to suck it in.
I feel it move across my skin.
I'm reaching up and reaching out. I'm reaching for the random or what ever will bewilder me.
what ever will bewilder me.
And following our will and wind we may just go where no one's been.

4. So crucify the ego before it's far too late
To leave behind this place so negative and blind and cynical
And you will come to find that we are all one mind
Capable of all that's imagined and all conceivable.
Just let the light touch you and let the words spill through
Just let them pass right through, bringing out our hope and reason.

before we pine away.

5. Wear your grudge like a crown of negativity.
Calculate what you will or will not tolerate.
Desperate to control all and everything.
Unable to forgive your scarlet lettermen.
Wear the grudge like a crown.
Desperate to control.
Unable to forgive. And sinking deeper.

Give away the stone.
Let the oceans take and transmutate this cold and fated anchor.
Give away the stone.
Let the waters kiss and transmutate these leaden grudges into gold.

Let go!

------------

Let me give you an example of lyrics by my other favorite progressive metal band, Pain of Salvation. This is one of their songs called "The Perfect Element":

Yesterday found him today
Caught him at his last breath
These walls built to stand come-what-may
Lie shattered in the ashes
His skin against this dirty floor
Eyes fixed on the ceiling
He has stretched those chains of sin
Far beyond all feelings
Still, so still...

In his head a thunderous
Cry of desperation
Tearing voices from his past
Scream for his attention
Behind those eyes a world explodes
No one there to save him
All pain that he's been passing on
Answers to his craving
Once more

I will never leave this shame...

Falling beyond the point of no return
Nothing to become and nothing left to burn

Stealing meaning from this child
We took away his reason
His soul put under lock and key
His heart blackened from treason
But if you take from those you fear
Everything they value
You have bred the perfect beast
Drained enough to kill you

Falling beyond the point of no return

Watching, unseen,
Untouched, bleeding,
Empty, exposed,
Dying, eyes closed

Once he had forests and mountains
That were only his - listening to him
Once he would run through the summer days
Catching memories for ages to come
Now he is dressing this naked floor
With his flesh and blood, and times passes by
His trade of pain might just have lead him
To deal with consequence
For some change as time passes by

I am the waking child
(Lingering, climbing, clinging, clutching
Craving, clawing, hurting, falling down)
I, the wayward son of a mountain lake
(Of icy liquor tears, of a silent Earth)
(Of a rusty lid, of a wingless wind)
(Of an eyeless storm, of fallen gods,
who lost their way)
I set myself on fire
To breed the Perfect Element

Will I ever walk again?

Falling far beyond the point of no return

-------

Another favorite progressive metal of mine is Dream Theater. Here's a song called "Voices":

'Love, just don't stare'
He used to say to me
every Sunday morning
The spider in the window
The angel in the pool
The old man takes the poison
Now the widow makes the rules

'So speak, I'm right here'
She used to say to me
not a word, not a word
Judas on the ceiling
the Devil in my bed
I guess Easter's never coming
So I'll just wait inside my head

Like a scream but sort of silent
living off my nightmares

Voices repeating me
'Feeling threatened?
We reflect your hopes and fears.'
Voices discussing me
'Others steal your thoughts
they're not confined
within your mind.'

Thought disorder
Dream control
Now they read my mind on the radio
But where was the Garden of Eden?

I feel elated
I feel depressed
Sex is death, Death is sex
Says it right here on my Crucifix

Like a scream but sort of silent
living off my nightmares

Voices protecting me
'Good behavior
brings the Savior
to his knees.'
Voices rejecting me
'Others steal your thoughts
they're not confined
to your own mind.'

[Dialogue by rap artist Prix-mo reading from the book "Cultural Revolution".]
"I don't wanna be here, 'cause of my
suffering, 'cause of my illness.
Only love is worth having, only
love is what matters, loving every
people on equal terms. "
"You've got to know who you're
dealin' with because, like a stranger,
a-heh, just might come in through
here with a gun... and then, what
would you do? (Heh.)"
"Everything is immaterial..."
"'n' you know that reality is immaterial."
"This is not reality..."

I'm kneeling on the floor
staring at the wall
like the spider in the window
I wish that I could speak
Is there fantasy in refuge?
God in politicians?
Should I turn on my religion?
These demons in my head tell me to

I'm lying here in bed
Swear my skin is inside out
Just another Sunday morning

Seen my diary on the newsstand
Seems we've lost the truth to quicksand
It's a shame no one is praying
'Cause these voices in my head
keep saying...

'Love, just don't stare.'
'Reveal the Word when you're
supposed to'
Withdrawn and introverted
Infectiously perverted
'Being laughed at and confused
keeps us pleasantly amused
enough to stay.'

Maybe I'm just Cassandra fleeting
Twentieth century Icon bleeding
Willing to risk Salvation
to escape from isolation

I'm witness to redemption
heard you speak but never listened
Can you rid me of my secrets?
Deliver us from Darkness?

Voices repeating me
'Feeling threatened?
We reflect your hopes and fears.'
Voices discussing me
Don't expect your own Messiah
This neverworld which you desire
is only in your mind.

mona
January 15, 2004, 07:11 AM
Well I'm no lyrics expert, but they do look like they would make a good song. You can find that with Tool but what about all the other more heavier metal bands? With heavy metal what's the point of having lyrics when you can't even understand what they're saying because they're screaming and sound like they're banging saucepans together? I think you'd have a better chance finding someone who has equally as good lyrics as Tool and who you can actually listen to for hours without getting a headache.

Arnab
January 15, 2004, 07:31 AM
Haha! So Tool is not so bad any more? Uh Oh! What has the world come to?

Other heavy metal bands? Just like any other genre, there are metal bands that write good lyrics and bands that write poorly. A good heavy metal song doesn't just revolve around lyrics. It also exudes a certain "attitude" through the use of electrical guitars and loud drums. If you truly want to capture the spirit of metal, I suggest you read about the roots of heavy metal back in the late 60s, how it came to exist.

I am not just looking for good lyrics. Other wise I could just read poetry and forget about the "music". I am looking for high quality musicianship, too. I am looking for music that moves me. Sometimes, heavy metal moves me in a certain way that no other genre can. Sometimes, Jazz does the same thing. Sometimes I am in the mood for some classical music. Other times I am dancing to the beats of club music.

Like I said, keep an open mind.

fab
January 15, 2004, 07:22 PM
I don't really care about Nogor Baul or LRB. They are the quentessential putuputu emotional bands that cater to the tastes of general bangali middle class youth. Not my cup of tea.
Oh really? That's rather contradictory considering that Pop musicians and the likes of Shania Twain and Christina Aguilera are also "quEntessential [sic] putuputu emotional" artists that cater to the tastes of general middle class teenagers

[Edited on 16-1-2004 by fab]

Arnab
January 16, 2004, 02:23 AM
Haha! Yeah right! The Bengali middle class youth has the same social issues as the North American middle class. As if Shania's songs are totally comparable to LRB's music. And I don't even like Shania THAT much. Most of the time, I don't care what vapid lyrics she's singing. I like the musical nature of the Shania songs that they play on radio. She has a good voice and I like it. What can I say? :)

If you really wanna talk about contradictions: I like Christina Aguilera too because of her voice, but I don't like Britney's music, I like Shania but I don't like Pink. Am I a contradictory pop listener? Or is it a matter of personal taste? I like Christina's voice, but I also like growling death metal vocals. Isn't that a bigger contradiction? I have been to numerous metal concerts and head banged. I have also sat at an equal number of classical concerts in prestigious concert halls to enjoy symphonies and applauded the artists properly. I also enjoyed jazz with my girlfriend at local bars. Contradiction?

Shubho
January 17, 2004, 01:14 AM
MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

fab
January 18, 2004, 07:09 PM
Looks like you missed my point :) Social differences between the two cultures aside, it doesn't negate the fact that music from ANY culture that is targeted to the mass population will always be emotional and follow a specific, success proven formula. I just thought it was contradictory that you scorn the middle class music of one culture, while praising the same of another.

Anyhow, if your girlfriend likes Portishead, she may also like Hooverphonic (from Sweden I think), who are sooo Portisheadish it is quite embarrassing!

Arnab
January 19, 2004, 07:48 AM
I can see your point. But there's no contradiction really. The formula for successful music for the American middle class is different from that for the Bangladeshi middle class. The musical style will be different. As the west is technologically advanced, the level of production will be different. Also different will be how the music is interpreted by the target population. They are not just the same. It's like saying "Bangla is a language, English is a language; So, Bangla=English." There's a lot of differences based on cultural nuances amd subtlties in production between LRB and Shania's music that can make me prefer one over the other. :)

Hooverphonic...I'll tell her.

[Edited on 19-1-2004 by Arnab]

nitewulf
February 6, 2004, 01:27 AM
hi, did a search on artcell and came across this thread. im currently heavily into bangla rock and couldnt help but say a few things.

first of all, those of you who are into bangla rock, and are interested about the new emergent rock scene and the underground bands there, please check out the 'amadergaan.com' site/forums. we have various band members participating in various threads all the time, plus you can check out a lot of bangla rock/pop music from the 'downloads' section.

now here are my favorite bangla bands:

1) the watson brothers - sheer brilliance. post modern lyrics, melodious guitar driven rock, mindblowing compostions, and ridiculously good production quality...they are absurdly ahead of their time for bangladesh.

http://www.thewatsonbrothers.com/

you can check out their song samples from the site. mind you, samples are of low quality and are not representative of the actual sound quality.

you can get the album from 'http://www.banglabazaar.com', actually albums of all the bands i am mentioning here can be obtained from said website.

2) black - while TWB is my personal favorite band, black IS THE BEST BAND IN BANGLADESH, hands down, right now. very talented. awesome compositions, awesome lyrics, and awesome attitude...totally guitar driven grunge rock/pop.

songs: check out amadergaan.com for songs by black. actually let me link a few for your convenience,

http://www.amadergaan.com/mp3/Black/Black%20-%20Amra.mp3

http://www.amadergaan.com/mp3/Black/Black%20-%20Opolap.mp3

3) cryptic fate - best metal band in bangladesh right now, in my opinon. their album 'shrestho' is a concept album based on the liberation war. check out their song from the mixed compilation album 'agontuk - 2' to see what kind of production quality and compositions they are achieving nowadays. the vocalist shakib is a huge cricket fan as well, he actually wrote a song after bangladesh won the ICC championship, that song is included in the first agontuk album, its called 'joyodhonni'.

those are three of my favortie bangla bands so i described them in detail. when my bro's band (zefyr) releases their album in NYC, im sure they'll get a spot there as well.

also checkout 'bangla', they are an aweomse trippy fusion rock band. their debut album is mindblowing.

other bands to look out for: stentorian, nemesis, breach, kronic and arbovirus.

By the way, artcell is what you would call a 'progressive rock' or 'progressive metal' band in the same vain as dream theater, symphony x etc...not really my thing, but they are quite good at what they do. i preffer the gold old retro metal such as maiden, priest and dio and stylish metal like tool, sevendust and cryptic fate.

just to let you guys get an idea of my own musical tastes, ill answer the questions asked by the thread starter:

1. Favourite Artist?
The Doors
followed by:
Led Zeppelin
Credence Clearwater Revival
The Rolling Stones
Stone Temple Pilots
The Watson Brothers
Black
Feedback
The Who
The Beatles
Bob Marley

2. Favourite Album?

People are strange - doors
boston - boston
Zeppelin 4 - led zeppelin
Ullash - feedback
warfaze - warfaze
ohom - the watson brothers
amar prithibi - black
bad company - bad company

3. Favourite Song?

stairway - zepp
when the music's over - doors
shine on your crazy diamonds - floyd
rong - watson brothers
chena dukhkho - black

4. i) 2nd,3rd, 4th, 5th favourite Artist?

already answered.

ii) the Artists whose most songs you know off by heart.

black, watson brothers, doors, credence clearwater revival, boston, floyd, the who, the rolling stones, beatles.

well hopefully that was an informative post for some of you, i hope you do check out some of the kick a** music thats coming out from bangladesh now. it makes me proud that our boys are doing such great music recently.

[Edited on 6-2-2004 by nitewulf]

Shafi
February 24, 2004, 04:00 AM
Just read this thread and great to see that there are some bangladeshi band fans too :)

Artcell and Black are among the most talented bands in Bangladesh now.They are awesome. But what surprised me that none talked about warfaze and miles!!!

These two are bangladeshi legends as I think.

Cryptic fate has some nice BAss works but I don't like the vocal. Same for Watson Bro because both has same vocal.

Don't think Watson bro is a full time performing band because their bass and vocal are from cryptic fate as I know.

And also I missed bon jovi,scorpions in thise thread :( I like them too.
G&R are also great.Bsides I like few songs from Brian Adams and Ronan Keating.

Shafi

Carte Blanche
February 24, 2004, 05:16 AM
After reading nitewulf's post, I decided to pay a visit to the "watsonbrothers" website. Watson Brothers? Since when Watson is a Bengali surname? The name itself is queer to start with. As if that wasn't enough, I had to find this piece of LAME info on WB's bassist Farhan's page:

Farhan happens to have that wonderfully rare quality in a Bangladeshi bassist-- he's had sex. In fact, he makes up the 20% of The Watson Brothers who have, i.e. the only person. He talks about his great experience: "Hmmm, I remember it just like it was yesterday. It was right before Class 8, and it happened twice. Hmmm." Inquisitive friends have asked, "What exactly took place?" and Farhan replies "I don't know exactly, but I had a great time. I have written a bass solo that lasts exactly as long as that sublimely beautiful experience-- 45 seconds. All I can tell you is that it actually happened, and I'm not lying. Hmmm."

Imran Aziz's page:

He started off with The Attempted Band, but found that his girlfriend being the lead singer in the band meant that he'd get pushed around. That's why he co-formed The Watson Brothers

OooOOOOooOOOoo! Meye niye shomossha. Then they had to come up with this filthy chunk of gross humour:

Sometimes Imran's numerous friends at York University in Toronto, in hierarchical order according to penis length, sit around him in a circle and ask him to tell them of his troubles. He greatly enjoys this activity, but they usually leave after the story involving the time he discovered Arafat's morning juices on his bathroom floor-- and that ain't orange that we're talkin' about, bunky!

Similar stuff abound in their site, which I'll leave for the reader to find out. I thought of checking out some of their music. I think I'll go read some old BC articles now.

I hope some day these artistes (?) will learn to have a decent site with serious info. Nobody comes to study the art of "master..." in a supposedly metal-music website.

Carte Blanche
February 24, 2004, 05:21 AM
Forgot to thank nitewulf for his post. I actually checked out the other sites you mentioned. Some good links there. Although Black's website doesn't carry much info right now, as they promise to update it soon, the site designing is very nicely done. Very unique for a Bangla band. Undoubtedly the best I've ran into. Tried out some of their music too. Although this genre of music isn't my cup of tea, I still managed to like some of their productions. Thanks again for the informative post.

Sami
February 24, 2004, 08:44 AM
Watson Bro... they are just growing up... so carte I guess its the puberty they just hit... show-off is the word... :duh:

Black is brilliant and they have an awesome website.... too bad its been underconstruction for the better of the last 3 months and still is... it practically has nothing... but the looks are just awesome. These ppl got taste... and they get the flute going in their music... love that...:)

adnan
February 24, 2004, 07:21 PM
But what surprised me that none talked about warfaze

They are a personal favourite of mine. Really really cool.

Any Chris Rea fan out there ?

nitewulf
February 28, 2004, 10:36 PM
thing about warfaze is, they suck now. their first two albums were really good, but then some of the fouding members left and they became stagnant and too commercial. as for miles, they are good but they are a pop/rock band, just not my favoured genre.
carte blanche, the drummer of TWB, arafat made the website...his humour takes getting used to i guess, and is definitely not politically correct. but he really is a great guy, and quite intelligent. please dont get any impressions about their music from the way the site is written, thats solely arafat's humour seeping through. the music is on a different level altogether. if you are interested, i could send u some songs through MSN or something.

fab
February 29, 2004, 01:44 AM
Originally posted by Carte Blanche
Imran Aziz's page:
Sometimes Imran's numerous friends at York University in Toronto, in hierarchical order according to penis length, sit around him in a circle and ask him to tell them of his troubles.

A hierarchical circle? :duh:

Orpheus
February 29, 2004, 03:02 AM
The name itself is queer to start with

They are trying to prove this wrong! One down.....4 more to go...

A hierarchical circle?
:D Amio ektu confused.

Bengalis talking about size?? When a bengali boasts about his penis size, you know he is lying... This miscegenation - egyptian & white (some ugly white I assume) girl in my school said it best: "I like everything about Bangladeshi guys except their penis size"

By the way, my height 5'11 - so don't even THINK about dissing me!

Carte Blanche
February 29, 2004, 11:20 AM
Originally posted by Orpheus
The name itself is queer to start with

They are trying to prove this wrong! One down.....4 more to go...

lol orphy, ok i admit i'm wrong, but they're still 80% queer

nitewulf
February 29, 2004, 06:30 PM
heh, ok, i think you guys are taking the site literally? thats odd...the whole site is sarcastic, its not meant to be a serious band site. it's filled with juvenile toilet humour. the drummer just made it up, as opposed to the black website, which is professionally made.
the thing about imran's ex gf as the front man (woman?) of his previous band for instance...was supposed to be taken as a joke, the joke being imran is a loser...it was not meant as a socio-political treatise on the human condition.
dont you get it? they are all friends, and the site depicts all of them as losers, you guys never had a friend circle where everyone used to make fun of each other? odd.
even the name for instance, why does it have to be bengali? because they are from bangladesh? the band members arent brothers in the literal sense, neither do they share the surname watson...
you guys are taking it way too literally...

Arnab
February 29, 2004, 06:39 PM
nitewulf, there are uptight people everywhere. it's ok. we need both types. :)

smickel
March 3, 2004, 06:30 AM
My favourite band would have to be U2.

Sami
March 3, 2004, 09:46 AM
Those who have heard Hoobastank before... listen to their album ''The Reason''. I just got it and I am completely in love with it... brilliant... all of the songs :) Suprnova has the album... check it out... :)

acker
March 4, 2004, 07:45 PM
Fav band Guns n Roses
Fav album Back in Black (AC-DC)
Fav song Rock the Casbah (The Clash)

acker
March 4, 2004, 07:52 PM
Here is a fav Nickleback lyric of mine

I like your pants around your feet
I like the way you look up to me , while your on your knees
The way you ask me please , you are my favorite damn disease

so much for womens lib
they know their place

mona
March 5, 2004, 03:58 AM
Originally posted by acker
Here is a fav Nickleback lyric of mine

I like your pants around your feet
I like the way you look up to me , while your on your knees
The way you ask me please , you are my favorite damn disease

haha acker you know what's the funniest thing? i saw that song on video hits the other day, and i thought they were possibly the worst lyrics i'd ever heard!

man that watson brothers stuff is NOT sarcasm. it's just plain gay. i mean, who says that?

meanwhile in australia, we have the best hip hop bands coming out....anyone who can....check out the Cat Empire and Hilltop Hoods!

acker
March 5, 2004, 07:15 PM
Cat Empire .... Mona , yes they do almost challenge the Beatles for lyrics , like this little pearler of their's.

I say hello , hello hello , hello hello, hello hello, hello hello, hello hello, hello hello,hello hello repeat until someone punches u in the mouth to get u to stop.

hello hello

nitewulf
March 6, 2004, 04:56 AM
i only linked the websites so you guys could check out the music. really, the music should take precedence, im offering to share some tracks once again. my MSN addy is "nitewulf00@hotmail.com", message me if you see me around, ill get you some tracks. having listened to their music, feel free to make whatever judgements you want to make...
ami ektu confused, being a bangladeshi i assumed tomra/apnara aro ektu excited hobe/hoben about this rising neo-rock scene of bangladesh. anyway, it's no skin off my back, arafat is a friend of mine so i defended him.

Shubho
March 6, 2004, 10:10 AM
nitewulf, if you go to page 1 of this thread, you'll notice some of us are in fact bangla fans. TWB's album Ohom is definitely my favourite...I have been listening to it everyday since I bought it. bangla is a great band too; i wisht their were more of their sort in bangladesh. sometimes i feel like we're too much into hardcore metal back home...cryptic fate, were a class act. black is very innovative...i love their stuff.

warfaze was the worst of the pack. i hate them and always will. their worst was when sunjoy was lead vocalist. such a squeaky friggin' voice! pissed me off no end.

nitewulf
March 6, 2004, 05:09 PM
yeah, OHOM is one of my favorite albums of all time, english or bangla. i love black and cryptic fate as well. fate's next album should be out sometime this summer. i agree with you that there seems to be too much "hardcore" stuff out there, thats why i like black and TWB so much, they are seperate from the pack. there is another band, Fulbanu's Revenge, they are sorta brit pop influenced, they have potential.
and yeah, bangla is top notch, they blew me away, totally trippy psychedelic rock.

Sami
March 6, 2004, 08:46 PM
mitewulf:
I am really impressed by Fulbanu's revenge... u have any more songs other than Felicity and Lake?

Zephaniah
March 6, 2004, 10:38 PM
Originally posted by acker
Cat Empire .... Mona , yes they do almost challenge the Beatles for lyrics , like this little pearler of their's.

I say hello , hello hello , hello hello, hello hello, hello hello, hello hello, hello hello,hello hello repeat until someone punches u in the mouth to get u to stop.

hello hello

Smells like teen spirit (Nirvana)?

NIRVANA

mona
March 7, 2004, 07:06 AM
haha Zephaniah- not Nirvana but almost as good as.

which proves a point to acker, because Nirvana were one of the best bands around.

so acker you like a bit of Good Charlotte with those hard-core rockers, Nickelback?

[Edited on 7-3-2004 by mona]

nitewulf
March 7, 2004, 02:01 PM
radical sami, yes, i have the latest Fulbanu's Revenge song, it's bangla this time around, and i'd say their best single yet. i posted my MSN nick before, just add me there, and ill hook you up.

Nasif
September 19, 2004, 12:54 PM
Bangladeshi Band websites...

Aurthohin

http://www.aurthohin.com/

DARKSYED

http://www.darksyed.com/

DHaka

http://www.cs.buffalo.edu/~gs4/

Miles

http://www.miles-bd.com/

Trikal

http://www.trikal.de/

From <a href=http://www.kobitaogaan.com/forum>KOG</a>

Edited on, September 19, 2004, 5:55 PM GMT, by nasif.

bourny3
September 20, 2004, 12:49 AM
Cat Empire, Hilltop Hoods.

Sultanzz
September 20, 2004, 01:30 PM
My favourits are

Junoon
Strings
EP
and JAL :lol:

200SX
September 20, 2004, 10:41 PM
im a great fan of boyzone & westlife..........now i like the linkin park...

in bd i like Black, Bangla, Aurthohin....

my fav artist is Brian adams..

James90
September 21, 2004, 03:09 AM
Butterfingers and Lyrical Commition

bdmoderator
September 27, 2004, 03:14 AM
1. Enrique Iglesias
2. Escape
3. Love to see you cry
4. Craig David, Shaggy, Dido, The Corrs.

Jadukor
July 11, 2012, 02:55 AM
here is mine:
Cryptic Fate
Nemesis
Artcell
Iron Maiden
Megadeth
Dream Theater
Symphony X
Alter Bridge
Creed
Radiohead
Collective Soul

Zunaid
July 11, 2012, 03:04 AM
A timeless dig.

Naimul_Hd
July 11, 2012, 03:15 AM
Too many to list down. Anyway,

Bangladeshi:

Souls
Renaissance
Dolchut
Warfaze
Artcell
LRB (90s)
Miles (90s)
Feedback (really liked 'Bongabdo 1400' album)
Nemesis (current fav)
Shunno (current fav)

Non Bangladeshi (All Time Fav)

Pink Floyd
Dire Straits
Limp Bizkit
Linkin Park
Lynard Skynard
The Doors
Creedence Clearwater revival
Nirvana
RCHP
Guns and Roses
System of a down
U2
Aerosmith
Bon Jovi
Ac/Dc
Coldplay
Black sabbath
Queen
Fleetwood Mac
Deep Purple
Metallica

Well, those are what i can recall now...will add later.

F6_Turbo
July 11, 2012, 03:31 AM
Can't pick one...but Sigur Ros :notworthy:

fush_montor
July 11, 2012, 03:48 AM
1. System of a Down
2.Shinedown
3.Greenday
4.Coldplay
5.Breaking Benjamin
<br />Posted via BC Mobile Edition (Opera Mobile)

Maysun
July 11, 2012, 07:31 AM
Right now; Symphony X, Porcupine Tree, Gojira, Skyharbor, Nevermore, Nervecell, Animals as Leaders, Cloudkicker & Kvelertak.

Isnaad
July 11, 2012, 07:47 AM
Deshi:
***Shunno***
Nemesis
Warfaze
Artcell
Aurthohin
Shade
Icons
Bideshi:
Maroon 5
Linkin Park
Mayday Parade
Bon Jovi
Coldplay
Backstreet Boys

bujhee kom
July 12, 2012, 06:06 AM
Jimie Hendrix
Carlos Santana
Lucinda Williams
Iris Dement
Kate Campbell
Towns Van Zandt
Johnny Winter
John Lee Hooker
Van Morrison
Gerge Harrison
John Lennon
Pink Floyd
Patsie Cline
The Gradeful Dead
Jefferson Ariplane
Gillian Welch
Ustaad Allaundin Ali Khan
Ustaad Amzad Ali Khan
Ustaad Nusrat Fateh Ali KHan
Alla Rakha'
Ustaad Zakir Hussain
Sheila Chandra
Peter Gabriel
John Mcloughlin (spell)
The Mohavishnu Orchestra
Shanker (the electric violin player)
Ustaad Ravi Shanker
Jim Morrison - the Doors
Natalie Marchent - 10,000 Maniacs
Traffic
Bob Dylan
Crosby, Stll, Nash & Young

Naimul_Hd
July 12, 2012, 06:23 AM
^^^ BK bhai, ektu bhul hoye gelo je ! OP 'favorite band' bolche, 'favorite singer/artist' na :-p

ammark
July 12, 2012, 06:44 AM
Smashing Pumpkins
Smashing Pumpkins
Smashing Pumpkins
Smashing Pumpkins
Smashing Pumpkins
Smashing Pumpkins
Smashing Pumpkins
Smashing Pumpkins
Smashing Pumpkins
...and others...

ahnaf
July 12, 2012, 09:39 AM
Skillet and
artcell.. Thats it
<br />Posted via BC Mobile Edition (Opera Mobile)

Kabir
July 12, 2012, 09:45 AM
I'll be watching Red Hot Chilli Peppers this Sept at my company conference. I like some of their songs, but far from being a favorite band.

M.H.Rubel
July 13, 2012, 12:32 AM
Jimie Hendrix
Carlos Santana
Lucinda Williams
Iris Dement
Kate Campbell
Towns Van Zandt
Johnny Winter
John Lee Hooker
Van Morrison
Gerge Harrison
John Lennon
Pink Floyd
Patsie Cline
The Gradeful Dead
Jefferson Ariplane
Gillian Welch
Ustaad Allaundin Ali Khan
Ustaad Amzad Ali Khan
Ustaad Nusrat Fateh Ali KHan
Alla Rakha'
Ustaad Zakir Hussain
Sheila Chandra
Peter Gabriel
John Mcloughlin (spell)
The Mohavishnu Orchestra
Shanker (the electric violin player)
Ustaad Ravi Shanker
Jim Morrison - the Doors
Natalie Marchent - 10,000 Maniacs
Traffic
Bob Dylan
Crosby, Stll, Nash & Young

Zaved vai i can you have a huge versatile taste in music.Then where are the name of Our musical legend Lalon and Nazrul????

BengaliPagol
July 13, 2012, 01:24 AM
My favourite band is One Direction.

F6_Turbo
July 13, 2012, 01:26 AM
My favourite band is One Direction.

Umm yeah look mate, someone has already mentioned backstreet boys...we're only allowing one farcical 'band' per thread.

goru
July 13, 2012, 01:32 AM
Umm yeah look mate, someone has already mentioned backstreet boys...we're only allowing one farcical 'band' per thread.

Dammit! I was gonna go with The Wiggles!

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/NBWQCHb95rg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

F6_Turbo
July 13, 2012, 01:35 AM
The Wiggles are NOT farcical.

Toot, Toot! Chugga, Chugga :notworthy:

US pastors claiming they were a liberal agenda to turn little kids gay :lol:

Zunaid
July 13, 2012, 01:36 AM

Now. Now. Didn't know there were boy fans of 1D. I did earn browny points and big hug from my daughter when I surprised her with an autographed Zayn poster. Yes. As a good dad, I know all their names.

My tastes match those of jadukar and Naimul.

F6_Turbo
July 13, 2012, 01:41 AM
Now. Now. Didn't know there were boyfans of 1D. I did earn browny points and big hug from my daughter when I surprised her with an autographed Zayn poster. Yes. As a good dad, I know all their names.

your daughter - being the key here. Though I'm sure you know all the names just because you want to be a good dad :D

Zunaid
July 13, 2012, 02:12 AM
I had a typo. Fixed above. About boy fans of 1D. Now my post should make sense.

Jadukor
July 13, 2012, 03:46 AM
Now. Now. Didn't know there were boy fans of 1D. I did earn browny points and big hug from my daughter when I surprised her with an autographed Zayn poster. Yes. As a good dad, I know all their names.

I didn't know there were boy fans (straight) for Backstreet boys either but then again I also didn't know someone could like Jack and Jill and Don't Mess with the Zohan... absolutely atrocious movies.

Love this world. People are so different!

goru
July 13, 2012, 05:24 AM
I didn't know there were boy fans (straight) for Backstreet boys either

While I was in uni in the US, I met a few Pakistani students who were into boybands. I specifically remember one of them offering me Backstreet Boys mp3's. I don't think any of them were gay... maybe it's cool to like boybands in Pakistan?

Other than that, I've only seen straight guys being into boybands or artists like Justin Timberlake because their gf's/wives are.

Zunaid
July 13, 2012, 06:26 AM
Justin Timberlake is a class oh his own. While he did start from a boy band, the kid had serious talent and can sing seriously. He has also great comic acting chops - he is a must see whenever he appears on SNL. Recall his brilliant role as Napster founder on the 'Social Network'.

Jadukor
July 13, 2012, 07:54 AM
Justin Timberlake is a class oh his own. While he did start from a boy band, the kid had serious talent and can sing seriously. He has also great comic acting chops - he is a must see whenever he appears on SNL. Recall his brilliant role as Napster founder on the 'Social Network'.

Yep justin has serious talent. His SNL performances are really funny especially the digital shorts with andy

goru
July 13, 2012, 07:55 AM

Aww, DrZ has the hots for JT...

No seriously, it's cool if you like JT... he's talented, as quite a few former members of boy-bands are (well, Robbie Williams is the only other one I can think of right now) - no doubt about that, but I personally find his voice quite annoying (I don't mind Robbie Williams' voice). He's an above average actor (his best performance for me was in Black Snake Moan), but nothing great yet. I'd say the only thing of his that I was quite entertained by was the original ****-in-a-box skit on SNL - but, correct me if I'm wrong, that was mostly Samberg's genius.

Leafs PWN
July 13, 2012, 08:48 AM
Cold Play, Guns N' Roses, Beatles, Aurthohin.

cluster11
July 13, 2012, 02:02 PM
Really hard to pinpoint one artist/favorite band when I love so many genres! So I'll mention top 10, no particular order (subject to change every cpl of years .. LOL!)

- The Beatles ('60s rock)
- Pink Floyd (psychedelic/progressive rock)
- U2 (rock)
- Coldplay (rock)
- Ludwig Beethoven (classical - romantic)
- AC/DC (hard rock)
- Metallica (hard rock/heavy metal)
- Frederick Chopin (classical - romantic)
- Simon & Garfunkel (folk rock)
- The Doors (psychedelic/progressive rock)

Notable mentions: Sebastian Bach, Elvis Presley, Don McLean, Bob Dylan, Jimi Hendrix, Eric Clapton, Ravi Shankar, Queen, Michael Jackson, Celine Deon, Radiohead, Black Eyed Peas, Snow Patrol, Adele, Muse

BengaliPagol
July 13, 2012, 10:35 PM

Oh Dammit!!

iDumb
July 13, 2012, 10:41 PM

Not surprised. I listen to one direction and justin beiber becuase of my niece. Poor girl cried her hearts out to take her to one direction concert when they came to our area recently... I am just too busy (doesn't seem like it but I am). Good job on getting the autograph.

I think bieber having a concert in nyc, nj soon.

Zunaid
July 13, 2012, 10:56 PM
We'd also sent her to a Beiber concert. She wasn't a fangirl but since he was in town and her friends were going .... She is now too old for Beiber and sneers like the best of us.

We did all go together to a Jason Mraz concert last month.

Antora
July 13, 2012, 11:27 PM
I don't really listen to much music anymore. All my beautiful rnb & hip-hop is now becoming TECHNO! *angry*. If there's any band I like, then, it'll probs be Cold Play. I used to be a big fan of the spice girls & destiny's child when they were around.

bujhee kom
July 14, 2012, 07:28 AM
^^^ BK bhai, ektu bhul hoye gelo je ! OP 'favorite band' bolche, 'favorite singer/artist' na :-p
Hhehehe..ki bole...One amn band bro, one man band ...ehehhehe..aar tatey ektu post-ta boro hoye gelo, dekhtey khub bhalo laglo, aar Dr. Rubel-da bolbey moto dekho ei buira cheleta koto hehehe famous band-er naam janey...hehehhehe
Zaved vai i can you have a huge versatile taste in music.Then where are the name of Our musical legend Lalon and Nazrul????
Rubel da, Bangla list ashchey...eita tow akhono to be Cont'd post ei list-ta ekhono shesh hoi ni je.....Hehhehe..

Bob Marley and The Kingston Whailers
Donna Summers
Bee Gees
ABBA
Earth WInd & Fire
Liza Minnelli - HAhhahah Goru's Favourite Band!!
Rufus Weinright - Another Goru Hit Favourite!!!

Bangla list ashetese Dr. Rubel da...ei je Bangla Hit Song-er Thread khulsey Mufi....Oikhaney...

Navo
July 14, 2012, 08:56 AM
Can't pick one...but Sigur Ros :notworthy:

Wow! Really didn't expect to see another Sigur Ros fan. Two friends of mine produced an expressionist play set to Sigur Ros's ( ) album. I've been a big fan ever since. Now to see a concert....

cluster11
July 17, 2012, 11:55 AM
Saw "Crosby, Stills and Nash" in concert last weekend. They were amazing, even at this age. Roger Waters "The Wall" tour came to Atlanta last month and that was another awesome experience. I was so caught up in it, we did a poor man's rendition of "Another Brick in The Wall p2" with a bunch of kids at a local gig .. LOL!

Sohel
July 17, 2012, 01:11 PM
Not talking solo acts here.

I. Bangladeshi

1. Bangla
2. Nemesis
3. Lalon

II. English (Rock)

1. The Jimi Hendrix Experience
2. Led Zepplin
3. The Who
4. The Clash
5. Social Distortion
6. Pearl Jam
7. Soundgarden
8. The Cranberries
9. Red Hot Chili Peppers
10. NIN
11. Filter
12. Primus
13. Radiohead
14. The Pixies

III. English (Hip Hop)

1. Freestyle Fellowship
2. The Pharcyde
3. Poor Righteous Teachers
4. Bone Thugs and Harmony
5. Digable Planets
6. Outkast
7. Wu-Tang Clan

Jadukor
July 19, 2012, 04:35 AM
While i was traveling within Italy, I heard this band and have immediately grown to like them. The artist is called Luciano Ligabue:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_rtdELjQvE

fans of bands like Collective Soul, Radiohead, Live would definitely love their music

al-Sagar
August 7, 2012, 08:41 PM
Warfaze, Black, Arbovirus, Crematic-X, Jantrik, LRB, Nagarbaul/Feelings, Ark/Shadhinota

Linkin park,LimpBizKit,AudioSlave, In Flames

Mav
August 8, 2012, 02:28 AM
I have always liked good songs from different bands. Songs with good lyrics and music in it.

But Warfaze has been a different choice alltogether. I feel like I grew up listening to warfaze. Back in student life, warfaze's Alo was a the CD i would play driving on my way to work 6 in the morning, on my way back, got some memories with them.

So it's Warfaze from Bangla Rock scene.
And Coldplay from Western. Like most of their songs.

Jadukor
August 8, 2012, 02:32 AM
My memory of Warfaze is more during the era of Sanjay. I think Alo was voiced by Mizan and there was an excellent track called Bewarish in that album. The lyrics and composition was awesome for that track.

There was an excellent album released not too long ago called Ochena Jogot by a band called Vibe...
The whole album is outstanding and a must listen for any hard rock fan

Mav
August 8, 2012, 03:35 AM
Hmm will check that out Jadugor Bhai.

Yah I am a fan from Sanjay Era too. Those are evergreen ones
Alo came out with a better quality of sounds, used to enjoy it while driving. :)

Kabir
August 8, 2012, 03:54 AM
My memory of Warfaze is more during the era of Sanjay. I think Alo was voiced by Mizan and there was an excellent track called Bewarish in that album. The lyrics and composition was awesome for that track.

Love that song Bewarish. I always thought it was by Sanjay, but you might be right...he was gone before 2001 when this album was released.

Also grew up listening to Warfaze. I was in their last concert with Sanjay at Dhanmondi Women's complex...Sumon was also in the group back then who played with the bass guitar by flipping it over his head and all...and the crowd went crazy! Good old days...never missed a concert back then!

Speaking of Sanjay - I had the absolute pleasure of meeting him in person. In fact, it was at a friend's son's b'day party who lived right across from me. I didn't even recognize him with the short hair. But once I was introduced to him, oh boy...I couldn't just believe it. I've never seen such a genuine guy, an absolute gentleman. Kono gorbo bolte kichui nai onar. He's currently in Toronto...so there are chances I'll meet him again as he's friends with my couple of friends.

I like Artcell's music as well. They were at the underground level when I left BD and they were friends with Jahan of Black who taught me to play guitar. I spent many days with Jahan and Ershad...both are great characters! Jahan and I are almost the same age, but always had tremendous respect for him. He's an underappreciated artist in BD IMO...there's not an instrument he didn't know how to play, and he learnt all of them by himself! Black was closely related to us since before they were even a group...they were all elder brothers of our childhood friends. In fact, Black's first concert at underground level happened because we pushed them hard to get on the stage...and they were booed off the stage coz of bad performance. I remember Tony ended up stopping in the middle of the play, showed everyone the finger and left. And here we are today with Black as one of the top groups! I haven't met them since I left BD in 2001...so chances are they won't even recognize me anymore.

mufi_02
August 8, 2012, 08:51 AM
Loved reading all these comments about Warfaze. Truly a band of its own kind from Bangladesh. In fact, I had them as my avatar in BC some time back.

Every time I listen to "Mone pore jai shei koishor....Abar fire ashi", it makes me very nostalgic. It reminds me of my teenage life and growing up back in Dhaka. Then there is "Brishti Nemeche", which reminds of me of the monsoon rains of Dhaka. "Dhupchaya" brings images of first crush. Too much memories!!

But unfortunately, none of the BD bands could ever establish themselves in the international scene. Bands like Warfaze and few more truly had that quality and are nothing less than Junoon, Jal etc. but just couldn't break it.

simon
August 8, 2012, 09:22 AM
LRB(90s),Miles,Souls,Black,Nemesis,Shunno,Aurthohi n,Yaatri,Arbovirus,Bangla,Warfaze,Bohemian,Cryptic fate(mainly for CholoBD), watson Brothers(mainly for Rong)

cluster11
August 8, 2012, 10:09 AM
I went back to the top of the thread and found this was actually in form of a nice questionnaire. So here is my response:

1. Favourite Artist? - Pink Floyd
2. Favourite Album? - Darkside Of The Moon
3. Favourite Song? - Echoes (from album: Meddle)
4. i) 2nd,3rd, 4th, 5th favourite Artist? or alternatively, ii) the Artists whose most songs you know off by heart.
- Can't rank in particular order but here are my next 5 favorite artist/band:
- The Doors, U2, The Beatles, Ludwig Von Beethoven, AC/DC

One World
August 9, 2012, 01:21 AM
Could not resist myself to share my two cents (not 50 cents) here after a long long time:

Favorite Band: Def Leppard
Favorite Album: Holy Diver - (Ronnie James) Dio
Favorite Song: Soldier of Fortune/Wasted Sunset - Deep Purple
Dokkhin Khola Janala - Mohiner Ghoraguli
2nd,3rd,4th,5th - Already there is 4: add Police, Dire Straits, Bad Company, Toto, Pet Shop Boys, Counting Crows, Iron Maiden, Metallica, Megadeth (:), remember that "spelling mistaken post") and Journey

Only bands, Happy Ramadan all.

Zunaid
August 9, 2012, 01:55 AM
Welcome back!

Sovik
August 9, 2012, 02:42 AM
Flight of the Conchords

Jadukor
June 24, 2013, 01:46 AM
Recently listening to three tracks from Cryptic fate album Noi Maash. Vorer Oppekha track is really awesome and the video is up on youtube as well. Kalboishakhi is more experimental and takes quite a few listens to get into. Bidayer gaan features Bassbaba Sumon and is another great song. They will be releasing one track every month (also available on itunes) so looking forward to the next one soon!
<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/43EWh3QgVjA?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
They have always been one my favorite metal bands from Bangladesh with classics like Vobogure and Shreshtho. Their album in the 90s was way more advanced than any other metal bands at the time. I am really glad to see them putting a serious effort yet again into making new albums. Their last effort Danob didn't quite resonate with me but hopefully "Jantrik Golojog" will be more old school and more to my liking.

Any other Cryptic Fate fans here?

Isnaad
June 24, 2013, 02:27 AM
Shunno will lead Bangladesh's music arena very soon. Nemesis will remain a fan favourite.
Aurthohin, Artcell and Shironamhin will stamp their authority with a country level legendary tag.
Bands like Arbovirus, Cryptic Fate, Bohemian, Powersurge, Mohakaal will be there and thereabout.

Jadukor
June 24, 2013, 02:30 AM
I heard the guitarist of Nemesis quit music and became religious. He was one of my favorite guitarists
from BD