PDA

View Full Version : Is review system good for cricket?

Tigers_eye
December 17, 2009, 01:04 PM
Hi friends,
As we know that cricket should always have an uncertainty factor in it.. I mean to say a human being giving the decisions with a margin of error being a human being!
At the same time, review system can help giving perfect decisions..
What do you people suggest about review system in test cricket?

International Cricket Council (ICC) president David Morgan recently said 'Review system is good for cricket'

Complete story source (http://www.cricketnirvana.com/news/international/2009/december/news-20091217-185.html)
1st welcome to BC.

2nd, do you work for ICC? (Police)
3rd, do you work for BCCI? (Army)
4th, for any other board? (BDR, Ansar)
5th, for any of the media outlet? (Judge, Magistrate, MP)

if any of the answer is "yes", then in my humble opinion, we want more of the (uncorrupted) technology usage in decision making. So that the umpires are not biased to a certain team. I love the review system. They need to have 5 of them or more per team per innings.

if all of the answers are "no" then....

Fazal
December 17, 2009, 01:47 PM
I love it.

LBW was always a sore point in cricket. And as ususal, the away team or/and underdog used to get the shaft.

Now it will be more balanced and less controversial and more fair.

One World
December 17, 2009, 01:47 PM
Want to code a hacking program - Ashoka 1.0.
Any nerd wants to contribute.

Raynman
December 17, 2009, 02:34 PM
I think referrals should be only for umpires like the run out is. If the umpire has a doubt about an LBW or Catch he should refer it otherwise his decision should be final.

Giving the captains referral power simply delays the game.

ICC should have reviews of the Umpires following every series and punish the one's that make too many obvious mistakes.

The 3rd (TV) umpire should also be able to communicate any obvious mistakes to be corrected immediately.

mac
December 17, 2009, 02:48 PM
I think referrals should be only for umpires like the run out is. If the umpire has a doubt about an LBW or Catch he should refer it otherwise his decision should be final.

Giving the captains referral power simply delays the game.

ICC should have reviews of the Umpires following every series and punish the one's that make too many obvious mistakes.

The 3rd (TV) umpire should also be able to communicate any obvious mistakes to be corrected immediately.

yeah, thats a better idea.

IanW
December 17, 2009, 05:53 PM
Dump it. It is merely a system of legalised dissent.=, that slows the game down and leads to ill-feeling.

Accept the umpires decision, and get on with your life.

Zeeshan
December 17, 2009, 06:37 PM
Since murad bhai is late, I think this thread should be moved to International Cricket section. :-)

nycpro96
December 17, 2009, 06:40 PM
Dump it. It is merely a system of legalised dissent.=, that slows the game down and leads to ill-feeling.

Accept the umpires decision, and get on with your life.

I think so too. For most cases. Unless Ashoka's umpiring.

Antora
December 17, 2009, 06:58 PM
IS the review system good for cricket?
IMO
a BIG FAT NO!
Yes, I know its the 21st century where everything is based on technology and blah blah blah.
But if we are going to have a review system where the players ask for a decision to be reviewed using snicko and hotspot and all those things, Is there really a point in having two umpires on the field? The players might as well just appeal to the 3rd umpire who will give a 100% correct decision... who needs umpires these days?:-P
The umpires decision should be the final decision. If the UMPIRE wants to review it, I have no problem with that, but whats with the players asking for it to be reviewed? We're humans, we make mistakes. Although, if there's umpires like Asoka and Bucknor, then yes use the review system, ask every desicion to be reviwed i fully suppoort that! BUT, we shouldn't have umpires like this. ICC should look to train umpires and make it a lucrative profession. PLus, I belive the review system insults the umpires. Umpires are even doubting their own decisions after this thing came in!

If you look at it this way, in courts Judges make wrong decisions....are we gonna start a review system for that too?
Maybe we should start a review system in soccer as well... to see if any of the players touched the ball with their hands when "kicking" a goal.

Also, If ICC is going to start something they have to make sure every team can use it. The review system was available for W.I vs Aus and NZ vs Pak.... what happened to SL vs India? Maybe India didn't want to use it ..but it's not fair on Sri Lanka...
The system is there to apparently make the game "Fair". But...that clearly was not fair on Sri Lanka:mad:

FagunerAgun
December 18, 2009, 01:06 PM
Yes, it is good for cricket like other professional sports in the West even though a little bit time consuming.

billah
December 18, 2009, 09:56 PM
I wouldn't give a hoot nanny to this topic if "ALL" the wrong decisions were not against Bangladesh. Bad umpiring stole our very first Test glory from us. I don't care about the uncertainty factor, bring on the technology, heck bring on the robots.

Without technology, all it does is allows bad sportsman like Ponting bully decisions out of the umpires. The Fatullah test is a prime and blaring example of that. Bullying went to historical proportion and affected the result of a match. If anything, I want the allowable # of Previews increased to at least 6 per side per innings.

mona
December 18, 2009, 10:12 PM
Nope. If you have to rely on a review system to win a match, you haven't won it convincingly enough. I don't really understand this victim mentality we have. I hate Ashoka as much as the next person but I don't want to change entire cricket rules because of it. What's with all the change? Why not try to keep cricket as close to its original form as possible? The imperfection in the decision making is what makes the game perfect and as Antora said so nicely.. human.

Ashraf-FTP
December 18, 2009, 10:18 PM
Want to code a hacking program - Ashoka 1.0.
Any nerd wants to contribute.
even though im not a nerd.. i can surely contribute.. where to start??

Zeeshan
December 18, 2009, 10:19 PM
Every referal should be sent to the Catholic Pope in Vatican City and after a nightful of vigil and communciation with Higher Power and papal decree a smoke signal should signify if a run out has occurred.

bujhee kom
December 18, 2009, 10:31 PM
^^^^Congratas Goplu dada!!!! Cricket Goru!!!^^^^

_Rafi_
December 18, 2009, 11:06 PM
I support UDRS. It does take some time but it is not a big factor for a game which takes 5 days. In cricket time is wasted for drinks, launch, for adjusting side-screen and other ways. So for bringing a truth this wasting of time is fair.
<br />Posted via BC Mobile Edition

One World
December 18, 2009, 11:21 PM
even though im not a nerd.. i can surely contribute.. where to start??

ICC website, become a pro in all possible rules of umpiring - special care to put on the questionable norms and regulations that can create a debate. Such as grassed catching, touch and go run outs and definitely LBW decisions. Next we need to find out what software is used for UDRS. Need to learn all ins and outs of it. Then we need to code something to hack, knowing that Roshan Mahanama will not always be the third umpire or match referee we will hack it up to the level when all decisions will be coming in favour of our liked team while the whole world watching will think opposite - that is Ashoka 2.0 for you.

Ashraf-FTP
December 18, 2009, 11:27 PM
ICC website, become a pro in all possible rules of umpiring - special care to put on the questionable norms and regulations that can create a debate. Such as grassed catching, touch and go run outs and definitely LBW decisions. Next we need to find out what software is used for UDRS. Need to learn all ins and outs of it. Then we need to code something to hack, knowing that Roshan Mahanama will not always be the third umpire or match referee we will hack it up to the level when all decisions will be coming in favour of our liked team while the whole world watching will think opposite - that is Ashoka 2.0 for you.
hmm.. seems good.. since i have a 2 week break from school, i will be starting tomorrow.. good luck to you :D

maybe we can recruit some other actual nerds??

Rommel
December 18, 2009, 11:54 PM
Man I don't know. While the review system would help "minnows" like us, the human element of the game is very appealing to me. Yes, umpiring decisions may cause some controversy, but I like stuff like that. While I guess I do agree that the players should decide the match, I like it when a struggling team catches a lucky break or a coasting team gets a rough decision. It spices things up a little bit when it seems like the players are just going through the motions.

cricman
December 19, 2009, 12:12 AM
I saw us go from 300/4 to 333 ao due to some of the most pathetic umpiring ever, let Ashoka umpire I want his incompetence exposed

auntu
December 19, 2009, 01:52 AM
Seems like the technology using to detect the LBW decision (hawk eye) is not flawless. Interestingly most of the renowned commentators are not relying on the Hawk Eye technology.