PDA

View Full Version : What should be the wicket type of the tri-series?

Miraz
December 21, 2009, 12:35 PM
India and Sri-Lanka are full of batsmen who can demolish any opposition with their power-hitting. Sehwag-Gambhir-Dhoni-Yuvraj quatro for India and Dilshan-Sangakkara-Mathews-Kapugedera quatro for Sri Lanka will challenge any score on a flat track. In addition to these power hitters they have players like Tendulkar and Jayawardene who can play on any type of wickets.

So what should we do? Should we offer them flat tracks to rack up 400 plus scores? Do we have the firepower to match them? Have you noticed that even our most explosive batsman in his days are playing Gollaesque innings to save his career.

Or, should we offer Dhaka green tops which are slow and low but offers assistance to seamers as well as spinners?

I think we have only one choice if we want to compete against India or Sri Lanka in the tri-series especially when our premier pace bowelers are nursing their injuries.

What do you think?

al Furqaan
December 21, 2009, 01:11 PM
always play to your strength...plain and simple.

revolver
December 21, 2009, 01:13 PM
Fast and bouncy : We like to expose the weakness of power hitters.
for sure

Purbasha T
December 21, 2009, 01:20 PM
for sure

with who? Only Rubel? (and even that I doubt)
On the pitch topic, yes slow and low-bounce pitch is the order of the day for us in this series.

Tigers_eye
December 21, 2009, 01:20 PM
Slow and spinning wicket and leave a little grass in it.

Both Ind-SL will bat first if they wins the toss. THat grass can catch them off guard a little.

Rizvi
December 21, 2009, 01:21 PM
for sure

rofl:lol::lol::lol:

Purbasha T
December 21, 2009, 01:47 PM

ya, that's the part I missed out on in my reply :-p

tan96
December 21, 2009, 02:13 PM
there must be a low-scoring pitch in the tri-series,or we will surely get thrashed by india and sri lanka.

revolver
December 21, 2009, 02:17 PM

ya, that's the part I missed out on in my reply :-p

:lol::lol::lol: :D..
dont worry guys we will destroy them beasts

auntu
December 21, 2009, 02:21 PM
[বাংলা]যেটা আছে সেটাই। কিছু স্পিন কিছু স্লো-লো। কিছু ব্যাটিং।
এতে রেকর্ডের ভয় নেই এবং কিছু অঘটনের সম্ভাবনাও থাকে। [/বাংলা]

nycpro96
December 21, 2009, 03:47 PM
Play with the strength.

Equinox
December 21, 2009, 04:06 PM
I doubt whether a fast, bouncy wicket can be prepared in time for the series if it was possible then we could've really taken advantage of it. Both teams have been practically playing in flat pancakes for the last month or so and a pacy wicket would've caught their batsmen off guard. If we had Mash and Rasel fully fit at our disposable plus the in-form Nazmul as third pacer then we could have really made use of a fast pitch as that trio would be better than any pacers India/Sri Lanka can field at the moment. However they are doubtful and Rubel/Rajib/Dollar will get hammered no matter what type of wicket they bowl on. So I think we should just make the pitch helpful for our spinners. I think our quartet of Shakib, Raj, Naeem and Riyad is better than India's Harbhajan and Jadeja and SL's spin attack as well (which is missing Murali + Mendis's confidence is shattered) so I believe in a slow, low wicket we will be best placed to take advantage which is why I am gonna go for the third option.

Eshen
December 21, 2009, 04:30 PM
I also think not much can be done about Mirpur pitch in two weeks (which was flat and lifeless during DPL). So best option for Gamini is to let some grass grow on it, let it be difficult for Lankan and Indian heavy hitters to score runs freely.

Rifat
December 21, 2009, 04:39 PM
even if we prepare a batting paradise...we might see a scorecard like this:

India 489/2 after 50 overs.

Bangladesh 111 all out. 42.3 overs

so let's play to our strengths :)

this is certainly a grave challenge that awaits us. i mean if against Zimbabwe our top order struggles, then how do we expect to even compete against quality bowling opposition. on top of that,
India's bowling nowadays is pretty good!

so, slow greenish pitch is the best way to go... because they have world class spinners too lets' not forget just like we do.

cricman
December 21, 2009, 04:42 PM
All these matches are D/N so no Early AM Moisture to take advantage of the New Ball.

Low and Slow is the Way to go

revolver
December 21, 2009, 05:03 PM

so let's play to our strengths :)

this is certainly a grave challenge that awaits us. i mean if against Zimbabwe our top order struggles, then how do we expect to even compete against quality bowling opposition. on top of that,
India's bowling nowadays is pretty good!

so, slow greenish pitch is the best way to go... because they have world class spinners too lets' not forget just like we do.

yhhh..i can see that score in atleast a match

billah
December 21, 2009, 05:16 PM
Option 1 - No, our batsmen do not like fire works

Option 2 - Not possible, our hard, bouncy decks are below standard at present. Uneven bounce will be a lethal weapons against us.

Option 3 - No. That was in Chittagong, wasn't it? And it was not that slow track. BTW, we might set a trap for our own team on a deck like that

Option 4 - Yes. We trust our left-arm bowlers, the best bunch in the whole world. Besides, regardless of result (we pretty much know what will happen any ways), please put some runs on the board. Make it interesting, make it last, get some batting practice and give yourself an outside chance in the process. Dust bowl, dust bowl. Please.

al Furqaan
December 21, 2009, 06:07 PM
defo agree with all the low slow ppl...let Rock win us matches on the shoddiest of pitches.

kalpurush
December 21, 2009, 07:39 PM

Feeling sad layely? ;)

Now I see sun coming through cloud... :)

kalpurush
December 21, 2009, 07:41 PM
yhhh..i can see that score in atleast a match
Won't see it, period. :)

We are way better than that...:timeout:

Zeeshan
December 21, 2009, 07:49 PM
good to see kalpurushda having positive vibes. yes, i know we are definitely underprepared and stuff but when we go out there on battle, in the words of Mason from Rock "You must never hesitate" ie not have any self-doubts.

Back on subject, I voted for the last option. Loved billah bhai's analysis.

chol_bd123
December 21, 2009, 08:18 PM
I am totally against batting tracks as India and SR will score about 300 in them. Dumbest idea ever

Greeninsh, slow, low sporting Dhaka wicket: We had Zimbabwe all out for 44- this match would be extremely boring to watch and Bangladesh will still lose. Very stupid idea

THe best that BD can do is make a spinners track so our spinners can try to take advantage of it because our pacers suck. I am just hoping that Riyad, Sakib, Naeem, Enam are in the form of their life to take down the SL and Indian batsmen.

The two players I fear the most are Sehwag and Dilshan. Dilshan is an explosive opener and I dont think our pacers will be able to take care of him early enough.

Zeeshan
December 21, 2009, 08:22 PM
The two players I fear the most are Sehwag and Dilshan. Dilshan is an explosive opener and I dont think our pacers will be able to take care of him early enough.

Just for fun if I were the coach I'd have Shakib open bowling. High five?

yaseer
December 21, 2009, 09:30 PM
The kind of wicket we had in the tri series final against Srilanka, where pitch gives us low scoring matches.

I want a wicket which will restrict free flowing boundary hitters. A low and slow wicket. Don't need much turn, just need to make batsmen struggle with their timing. Our medium pacers and spinners can take the benefit of this.

Also I want the outfield to be slow, leave the grasses to grow a bit in the outfield. Indian batsmen are boundary hitters and not keen in running between the wickets. It can frustrate them as well and work in our favor.

auntu
December 22, 2009, 02:06 AM
All these matches are D/N so no Early AM Moisture to take advantage of the New Ball.

Low and Slow is the Way to go
Absolutely slow and low. Let our SLA's rip the Indians and the Lankans. ;)

Rifat
December 22, 2009, 02:16 AM
Feeling sad layely? ;)

na re bhai, Lack of interest in Shahriar Nafees + out of form top order worries me a lot. we have a lot of batting errors to fix. I am out of suggestion/comment for Ashraful, him scring 50s in patches and then surviving without never really reaching Tendulkar status will HURT us more than help us...:mad:

Now I see sun coming through cloud... :)

Alhamdulillah :). as much as we criticize our players, there is no denying that our spinners ARE world class :big_hug:

kalpurush
December 22, 2009, 02:17 AM
I am totally against batting tracks as India and SR will score about 300 in them. Dumbest idea ever

Ditto :up:

Greeninsh, slow, low sporting Dhaka wicket: We had Zimbabwe all out for 44- this match would be extremely boring to watch and Bangladesh will still lose. Very stupid idea

Even SS bhai wouldn't say that...:doh:

RBX is good enpugh for the above two!;)

kalpurush
December 22, 2009, 02:23 AM
na re bhai, Lack of interest in Shahriar Nafees + out of form top order worries me a lot. we have a lot of batting errors to fix. I am out of suggestion/comment for Ashraful, him scring 50s in patches and then surviving without never really reaching Tendulkar status will HURT us more than help us...:mad:

Our players are much more confident than before which would make the difference.:)

abu2abu
December 22, 2009, 06:56 AM
We need a pitch that will assist our spinners, that's our best chance.

I genuinely believe that we have the best spin bowling unit in the world.

M.H.Rubel
December 22, 2009, 09:15 AM
The kind of wicket we had in the tri series final against Srilanka, where pitch gives us low scoring matches.

I want a wicket which will restrict free flowing boundary hitters. A low and slow wicket. Don't need much turn, just need to make batsmen struggle with their timing. Our medium pacers and spinners can take the benefit of this.

Also I want the outfield to be slow, leave the grasses to grow a bit in the outfield. Indian batsmen are boundary hitters and not keen in running between the wickets. It can frustrate them as well and work in our favor.

Well said
<br />Posted via BC Mobile Edition

Purbasha T
December 22, 2009, 09:32 AM

A bit of an overstatement considering the SL group of Murali-Mendis-Herath. But I'd say we're close to them.

abu2abu
December 22, 2009, 09:57 AM
A bit of an overstatement considering the SL group of Murali-Mendis-Herath. But I'd say we're close to them.

I disagree (of course), Mendis is not a genuine spinner, essentially he is more like a medium pace bowler.

BangladeshFan
December 22, 2009, 10:18 AM
Bd should play to its own strength, and that it should be a turner. We have two very good left armers , two useful offies. the pitch can offer a little help to the seamers early on but not much.

kalpurush
December 22, 2009, 08:40 PM

I disagree (of course), Mendis is not a genuine spinner, essentially he is more like a medium pace bowler.
And Murali is 1/2 of (ex Murali) now a days! ;)

IanW
December 23, 2009, 04:31 AM
A natural wicket. If you wouldnt fix the game with cash, or with drugs, or with guns, then dont try and fix it with a curator.

In the immortal woords of Woodful on Bodyline "There are two teams out there : one is making an effort to play the game of cricket, and the other is not. Good day to you, Sir"

Miraz
December 23, 2009, 05:11 AM
A natural wicket. If you wouldnt fix the game with cash, or with drugs, or with guns, then dont try and fix it with a curator.

In the immortal woords of Woodful on Bodyline "There are two teams out there : one is making an effort to play the game of cricket, and the other is not. Good day to you, Sir"

Ian, care to explain the definition of "natural" here?

I have seen so many variations in our Mirpur wicket, the term natural sounds a bit vague.

BANFAN
December 23, 2009, 06:29 AM
always play to your strength...plain and simple.

What's our strength?

I say, exploit opponents weakness..... :)

or May be both to some extent?

IanW
December 23, 2009, 06:47 AM
Ian, care to explain the definition of "natural" here?

I have seen so many variations in our Mirpur wicket, the term natural sounds a bit vague.

Miraz,

A natural wicket is what happens when you dont tell the curator 'make it spin' or 'make it last for five days', but when you tell the curator 'Do your job, and make a good wicket to play cricket on - dont rig things for the batsmen or the bowlers, the wristy batsmen, the hookers or the slow men. Just make a wicket to play good cricket on'

A natural wicket is what the local dirt, the local conditions and the weather makes. And that is what makes cricket the came it has been, can be, and should be.

We should aim for green grass surrounding twenty two yards of dirt, with twenty two players, and history waiting.

This is an up and coming Bangladesh die against one of the great Indian sides. I'd hate us all to be cheated by a fixed pitch.

To quote John Skelton ...

O lorde of ipocrites,
Nowe shut vpp your wickettes,
And clape to your clickettes, —
A farewell, kinge of crekettes!

abu2abu
December 23, 2009, 06:50 AM
Miraz,

A natural wicket is what happens when you dont tell the curator 'make it spin' or 'make it last for five days', but when you tell the curator 'Do your job, and make a good wicket to play cricket on - dont rig things for the batsmen or the bowlers, the wristy batsmen, the hookers or the slow men. Just make a wicket to play good cricket on'

A natural wicket is what the local dirt, the local conditions and the weather makes. And that is what makes cricket the came it has been, can be, and should be.

We should aim for green grass surrounding twenty two yards of dirt, with twenty two players, and history waiting.

This is an up and coming Bangladesh die against one of the great Indian sides. I'd hate us all to be cheated by a fixed pitch.

To quote John Skelton ...

O lorde of ipocrites,
Nowe shut vpp your wickettes,
And clape to your clickettes, —
A farewell, kinge of crekettes!

Ian, would you take your view further by advocating the return of uncovered pitches which would return us to the age of "sticky wickets"?

IanW
December 23, 2009, 06:55 AM
Abu2abu,

In a second. Batsmen have had it too easy in the last forty years or so.

But given that, I'd be enforcing the intimidation laws as well, because I have no respect for fast men who will give it and not take it.

Zeeshan
December 23, 2009, 11:31 AM
Sticky wickets, if indeed were to be brought back, are likely to favor our spinners. But in winter time in BD, ball will be skidding and bulli's high sand content should give greater turn. Add cracks to it, we may see replica of the Zimbabwe collapse.

Foozy
December 23, 2009, 12:36 PM
Sticky wickets, if indeed were to be brought back, are likely to favor our spinners. But in winter time in BD, ball will be skidding and bulli's high sand content should give greater turn. Add cracks to it, we may see replica of the Zimbabwe collapse.

It would be a good possibility in every match, be it the indian batting line-up, or the Aussie, or the Srilankan.

zman
January 4, 2010, 08:43 AM
For those who thought flat wickets would be the solution, this is precisely what should be expected from Ind/SL on a batting track...after 13 overs, they've scored at close to 7 runs per over and are looking ominous. I'm just glad they didn't bat first and post a 400+ total.

Aritro
January 4, 2010, 10:08 AM
I don't know about this tri-series, but I would certainly hope that the upcoming test series against England will be played on spinner-friendly dustbowls that more or less resemble the surface of the moon. Preparing pitches that suit the home team is a practice that is, and always has been, carried out in every level of the game from club cricket upwards. We should not, in some goody two-shoes attempt to uphold the ideal of fair play, exempt ourselves from the common-sense practice of making a home ground more advantageous for the home team.

AsifTheManRahman
January 4, 2010, 10:59 AM
Given the strength of our FB department and the kind of cricket that the Sri Lankans have been playing recently, we should have scored 320 to give ourselves a chance today, even if it was a 270 pitch or whatever. Since that is too good to be true, we should have stuck to slower, lower surfaces like the ones we played Sri Lanka, Zimbabwe and New Zealand earlier on.

AsifTheManRahman
January 4, 2010, 11:01 AM
I don't know about this tri-series, but I would certainly hope that the upcoming test series against England will be played on spinner-friendly dustbowls that more or less resemble the surface of the moon. Preparing pitches that suit the home team is a practice that is, and always has been, carried out in every level of the game from club cricket upwards. We should not, in some goody two-shoes attempt to uphold the ideal of fair play, exempt ourselves from the common-sense practice of making a home ground more advantageous for the home team.
We won games against New Zealand and Sri Lanka on lunar minefields, so I don't know why the wickets for the tri-series had to be any different.

Equinox
January 7, 2010, 11:15 AM
Like I said we can't outbat India on a batting wicket.