PDA

View Full Version : Cricinfo's teams of the decade: ODI & Test

_Rafi_
January 1, 2010, 08:24 AM
ODI XI
Sanath Jayasuriya, Sachin Tendulkar, Ricky Ponting, Jacques Kallis, Andrew Symonds, Adam Gilchrist, Andrew Flintoff, Shaun Pollock, Brett Lee, Glenn McGrath, Muttiah Muralitharan

12th man: Shane Warne
----------------------------------
Test XI
Matthew Hayden, Virender Sehwag, RickyPonting, Sachin Tendulkar, RahulDravid, JacquesKallis, Adam Gilchrist (wk), Shaun Pollock, Shane Warne, Muttiah Muralitharan, Glenn McGrath

12th man: AndrewFlintoff
LINK (http://www.cricinfo.com/decadereview2009/content/story/441878.html)
No Lara in the test team
Flintoff in odi. Is it joke

_Rafi_
January 1, 2010, 08:35 AM
1) 3 one down batsmen(green) in the test team-Ponting, Dravid and Kallis.
2) Tendu over Lara in test
3) Flintof over Vettori and others in odi
4) Jayasurya over hayden, Sourav, Petersen, Sanga, Smith
Why?????????????????????????????????

_Rafi_
January 1, 2010, 08:44 AM
The jury

* Sambit Bal,
Harsha Bhogle,
Ian Chappell
Peter English
Jayaditya Gupta
Gideon Haigh
Sanjay Manjrekar
Andrew Miller
Dileep Premachandran
S Rajesh
Christian Ryan
Rob Steen
Telford Vice

Surfer
January 1, 2010, 09:53 AM
1) 3 one down batsmen(green) in the test team-Ponting, Dravid and Kallis.
2) Tendu over Lara in test
3) Flintof over Vettori and others in odi
4) Jayasurya over hayden, Sourav, Petersen, Sanga, Smith
Why?????????????????????????????????

1. I don't think they are much worried about positions in the middle order as long as 1,2,3 are taken care of.

2. It's not Tendulkar over Lara. They have just overlooked Lara for the others. In fact, if you compare the stats between Lara and Tendulkar, there is not much difference. Lara tops Tendulkar by less than 1.

However, if you compare their performances in and against strong attacks, you will find that Tendulkar averages 66 in Australia compared to Lara's 39. In SA also Tendulkat averages more than Lara. A lot of people do take the performances against the strongest attacks into consideration while evaluating players for selection and rightly so.

3. I believe Jayasuriya got ODI preference over the others you named because of his abilities with the ball. He is a very useful and very clever bowler and that makes him more valuable than the rest.

_Rafi_
January 1, 2010, 10:58 AM
2. It's not Tendulkar over Lara. They have just overlooked Lara for the others. In fact, if you compare the stats between Lara and Tendulkar, there is not much difference. Lara tops Tendulkar by less than 1.

However, if you compare their performances in and against strong attacks, you will find that Tendulkar averages 66 in Australia compared to Lara's 39. In SA also Tendulkat averages more than Lara. A lot of people do take the performances against the strongest attacks into consideration while evaluating players for selection and rightly so.

Aginst strong attack? If u exclude BD and Zim-
------------ Match--Innings--Runs--Ave
Tendulkar- 78 -- 134 --5758--47.196 (21centuries)
Lara - 62 -- 114 --5985--53.43 (21 centuries)

Why u are giving wrong info about Lara against RSA
Lara's average against S.Africa was 57.56 (66.37 in RSA). Tendulkar had pity average of 37 against RSA( in RSA 43).
Above stats clearly suggest why should pick Lara over Tendu in that particular period(2000s).

Surfer
January 1, 2010, 11:25 AM
When I said against Strong attack, I did not mean against non-minnow attack. I usually take performances in and against Australia and SA seriously. More so for this decade.

Yes, you are right. I was mistaken on Lara's average in SA. May be I made some mistake on statsguru.

Tigers_eye
January 1, 2010, 11:26 AM
Symond and Flintoff are not needed with Kallis and Sanath in the team. Lara can and should take one of the spots.

Neel Here
January 1, 2010, 12:28 PM
No Lara in the test team

this list is not the all time best players XI. it is for 2000-2009 only. lara retired in 2006, which means he didn't play for nearly half the decade. for similar reasons ganguly won't be considered for ODI's.

but sanath doesn't get a place in ODI for the 00's in my book, that ODI opener's place goes to graeme smith. flintoff, naaaah ! flintoff is all hype.

this team has enough batsman, I'll go for a bowler, depending on pitch it will be either vettori or ntini/vaas. between vaas and ntini, a coin toss will decide who gets the place.

warne hasn't done much in ODI this decade and doesn't deserve a place just because he is warne.

abdulrahee
January 1, 2010, 01:07 PM
and T20 team?

_Rafi_
January 1, 2010, 01:47 PM
this list is not the all time best players XI. it is for 2000-2009 only. lara retired in 2006, which means he didn't play for nearly half the decade. for similar reasons ganguly won't be considered for ODI's

I am fully aware of that. Lara played till 2006 means he played enough for considerarion. My above ststs also depending on this period, where Lara clearly ahead of Sachin. Tendulkar was not too ahead of Lara in term of scoring runs. Tendu scored 1000runs more by playing 3 yrs extra

Neel Here
January 1, 2010, 02:13 PM
look at this ! http://stats.cricinfo.com/ci/engine/stats/index.html?class=1;spanmax1=01+Jan+2010;spanmin1=0 1+Jan+2000;spanval1=span;template=results;type=bat ting

I think neither lara nor tendu should be there, it belongs to md. yusuf !

_Rafi_
January 1, 2010, 02:47 PM
look at this ! http://stats.cricinfo.com/ci/engine/stats/index.html?class=1;spanmax1=01+Jan+2010;spanmin1=0 1+Jan+2000;spanval1=span;template=results;type=bat ting

I think neither lara nor tendu should be there, it belongs to md. yusuf !

it is not anything against India. I checked records of all against top 8 in 2000s. Tendulkar and Dravid had poorer averages than others.
Lara over Tendu and
as u said Yousuf over Dravid should be justifyable. I thnk 6 Indian juries had significance roll behind the selection.

Neel Here
January 1, 2010, 03:09 PM
what is this for or against India business ? :confused:

we are comparing players here, not countries. you can see which players are my fav in my profile ! :smug:

I think dravid should obviously be there, even if he had played for greenland, given his performances in this decade. avg don't tell you everything. tendu's place should go to yusuf. no lara, I'm truly sorry, because I'm a HUGE fan of him !

_Rafi_
January 1, 2010, 03:24 PM
I always rate Dravid as a better test btsman than Sachin.:-)
MoYo, Kallis, Dravid are super slow test players. Thats y it is not wise to pick them all for playimg middle/lower middle orders. You need someone like Tendu or Lara or Petersen between them.
Btw Tendu is no doubt greatest ever batsman in odi(like Bradman in test)

Surfer
January 1, 2010, 04:07 PM
what is this for or against India business ? :confused:

we are comparing players here, not countries. you can see which players are my fav in my profile ! :smug:

I think dravid should obviously be there, even if he had played for greenland, given his performances in this decade. avg don't tell you everything. tendu's place should go to yusuf. no lara, I'm truly sorry, because I'm a HUGE fan of him !

Mohammad Yousuf averages 34 in Australia, just 40 in India, 31 in SA and 33 in SL.

His average swells up because he averages 276 in Bangladesh, 90 in UAE, 74 in Zimbabwe, almost 70 in West Indies, 68 in Pakistan and 65 in England.

How exactly he gets a place in world XI?

Neel Here
January 1, 2010, 09:39 PM
Mohammad Yousuf averages 34 in Australia, just 40 in India, 31 in SA and 33 in SL.

His average swells up because he averages 276 in Bangladesh, 90 in UAE, 74 in Zimbabwe, almost 70 in West Indies, 68 in Pakistan and 65 in England.

How exactly he gets a place in world XI?

okay, I hadn't realized that ! :blush:

bharat
January 1, 2010, 11:10 PM
it is not anything against India. I checked records of all against top 8 in 2000s. Tendulkar and Dravid had poorer averages than others.
Lara over Tendu and
as u said Yousuf over Dravid should be justifyable. I thnk 6 Indian juries had significance roll behind the selection.

nah man ! , maybe Lara over Tendulkar but Yousaf over Dravid is a stretch ! I have not seen Yousaf play anywhere but in "road roller" pitches of Pakistan .I am not good at using the cricinfo statguru but my guess is Yosuf's averages are bloated by either high scoring draws (on Pakistan) or scores against weaker attacks.

_Rafi_
January 2, 2010, 07:01 AM
nah man ! , maybe Lara over Tendulkar but Yousaf over Dravid is a stretch ! I have not seen Yousaf play anywhere but in "road roller" pitches of Pakistan .I am not good at using the cricinfo statguru but my guess is Yosuf's averages are bloated by either high scoring draws (on Pakistan) or scores against weaker attacks.

it was also not my opinion to drop Dravid. He is better than Yousuf imo.

One World
January 2, 2010, 08:19 PM
No Lara, Sangakkara, Inzamam - and team of the decade.