PDA

View Full Version : Improvement curve for Bangladesh

Miraz
January 7, 2010, 11:53 AM
Scoring 296 on a flat track is a decent improvement in batting. We used to get bundled out within 200-250 regardless of wicket type. Now scoring 296 isn't much a challenge for the dream Indian batting line-up, but it would pose a serious challenge against non-subcontinental teams Australia included.

Siddons said we are 2 years away from a very competitive team who can be ranked within top 5 of world cricket. I think the signs are there. After sorting the batting out we need to concentrate on our bowling strengths.

However, the mindset is still quite negative and that's where I am worried about the real progress. If we send India to bat, they will score 350 runs which we will not be able to chase... this is a very negative mindset from the team management. We could have been a lot better position if our spinners could utilize the surface properly without the influence of Dew. Rasel could have given us an early breakthrough like he always does.

To make a significant leap in the improvement curve, we need to sort out our mindset as well.

Anyway, well played. Can't complain much after todays effort. This was bound to happen on flat tracks.

Maximumpro
January 7, 2010, 11:55 AM
vimrul doesnt look like an international player, thats all i know

Miraz
January 7, 2010, 11:57 AM
vimrul doesnt look like an international player, thats all i know

He has a very bright future ahead of him. Just need to sort out his pull shots.. the rest is fine.

bujhee kom
January 7, 2010, 11:58 AM
Yes Miraz bhai, the signs are showling, it is indeed a good feeling I have. Also yes, you are right on about the mindset, this is a problem for us (Bangladesh) for generations, it needs to get improved and Inshallah we will rock!

Jumbooo
January 7, 2010, 11:58 AM
I really like the new mentality of Ashraful, although he's still new at it. Imrul is ok, once he gets himself in. If he can survive past 10, I see big things for him. Mahmudullah seems like really something... I finally feel batting balance is really good now.

Nafi
January 7, 2010, 12:02 PM
I really like the new mentality of Ashraful, although he's still new at it. Imrul is ok, once he gets himself in. If he can survive past 10, I see big things for him. Mahmudullah seems like really something... I finally feel batting balance is really good now.

Yes but bowling is slipping,

Razzak our premium spinner, had an economy rate of 8.00

Maximumpro
January 7, 2010, 12:04 PM
i hate ashraful playing those cheeky shots:mad:

zainab
January 7, 2010, 01:10 PM
Riyad to me looks the most improved and solid player, he has a good temperament.

ssaadi123
January 7, 2010, 01:18 PM
Bd you must gotta win next 2 match. Must. Pls won

SMHasan
January 7, 2010, 01:53 PM
I Was at the ground with the fellow BC people, have been shouting all the day and now I am loosing my voice. And the reward is- after scoring 296 we lost the match badly.

I knew we were 30 runs short, we lost the way since the 38th over until the power play began. Raqibul ate few deliveries and had Ashraful not got out at that time who knows we might have ended up with 330+.

sufism
January 7, 2010, 01:56 PM
Finally some thoughtful posts. Specially when you are tired of reading so many naive posts in the match forum. Good analysis Miraz bhai. However, I believe the total approach would have been different if you had 100% fit Mash in the side. Though I doubt the result would have been any different. Besides, our strength is spin bowling and we all know how good Indians are against spin, on top of that pitch offered nothing for any kind of bowlers, dew or no dew. Therefore, I think we did just fine. I also believe the English are in for a shock.

mahbubH
January 7, 2010, 01:57 PM
lost of words.. I was expecting a bit more fight from the team after scoring 296 and after getting 3 early wickets.

batted well... but there are lot of questions with bowling. today or tomorrow we have to take one more bowler in the team. now we are playing one extra batsman.

Equinox
January 7, 2010, 02:07 PM
Good post. Definitely agree with your points.

Tigers_eye
January 7, 2010, 02:10 PM
Riyad is finally blossoming as a finisher. We have two Naeem and Riyad. Now we need Shakib to show up. That is all for the middle order.

Top order is a huge concern still. Imrul won't be lucky because not all team have Harbajan. Both Zunaed and Imrul are very poor in pull. Actually all of them are including Shakib. That is one area these boys need to work on. Leave the ball go for the next one. There can be only one high ball in an over.

Riyad pulled some classic balls.
+++

We are improving in mentality. That is a big plus along side the improvement of Riyad-Naeem. I hope we get Nazmul back for the test series. :) Boys should be full of confidence now.

cricket_pagol
January 7, 2010, 02:14 PM
Good to see improvements in our batting... It's finally coming together!!! I am especially happy with Riyad's improvement. I think we are still missing some big hitting during the first 15 overs... besides Tamim, Imrul, Ash and Rakib need to play run a ball innings in these kinda flat track. If we can hold to consistency, these minor improvements will come our way.

RazabQ
January 7, 2010, 02:33 PM
Agree with Miraz. Shakib failed and Ash was meh and we still put almost 300 on a Test #1 side. India's batting is just phenomenal now. We badly missed an impact bowler ... If Mash is in this side we win this match handily. As it is, I am not at all displeased with the two matches we have played. Yes we lost them but in both there were significant takeaways:
1) Posted a respectable total against Lanka despite a major collapse
2) Posted almost 300 today
3) Fielded fairly energetically (unless you are Rubel)

Wakidul
January 7, 2010, 03:16 PM
I Was at the ground with the fellow BC people, have been shouting all the day and now I am loosing my voice. And the reward is- after scoring 296 we lost the match badly.

I knew we were 30 runs short, we lost the way since the 38th over until the power play began. Raqibul ate few deliveries and had Ashraful not got out at that time who knows we might have ended up with 330+.

Y does every1 talk abut ash, we have to show our due respects to Tamim also. I think he is bangladesh's most solid batsmen and one who can be feared by all international teams.

r_kalar_2
January 7, 2010, 04:14 PM
Agree with Miraz. Shakib failed and Ash was meh and we still put almost 300 on a Test #1 side. India's batting is just phenomenal now. We badly missed an impact bowler ... If Mash is in this side we win this match handily. As it is, I am not at all displeased with the two matches we have played. Yes we lost them but in both there were significant takeaways:

I agree with ur every words except the mash part.If he could play we would have better chance.But to say that we would win the match handily isn't quite right.We have to agree that Indian batting is superior to us and they are more experienced and professional than we are.

AsifTheManRahman
January 7, 2010, 05:03 PM
Indeed. It was worth sleeping only 3 hours and staying up the rest of the time to watch the entire BD inning. We lost the last couple of games because a)we battled two teams whose batsmen are too good, especially on flat tracks, b)the toss didn't go our way and even when it did, we made the wrong choice and c)we just don't have bowlers who are good enough.

Had this been England, Pakistan or the West Indies, we would have caused a couple of reorgs in a couple of cricket boards.

Swedbangla
January 7, 2010, 06:03 PM
Scoring 296 on a flat track is a decent improvement in batting. We used to get bundled out within 200-250 regardless of wicket type. Now scoring 296 isn't much a challenge for the dream Indian batting line-up, but it would pose a serious challenge against non-subcontinental teams Australia included.

Siddons said we are 2 years away from a very competitive team who can be ranked within top 5 of world cricket. I think the signs are there. After sorting the batting out we need to concentrate on our bowling strengths.

However, the mindset is still quite negative and that's where I am worried about the real progress. If we send India to bat, they will score 350 runs which we will not be able to chase... this is a very negative mindset from the team management. We could have been a lot better position if our spinners could utilize the surface properly without the influence of Dew. Rasel could have given us an early breakthrough like he always does.

To make a significant leap in the improvement curve, we need to sort out our mindset as well.

Anyway, well played. Can't complain much after todays effort. This was bound to happen on flat tracks.

It looks like we are improving but it is not improvement. scoring 296 against a weak bowling attack in a flat track is not improvement specially when you have some batsmen (ashraful, tamim, shakib, mushfiq) with experience of playing more than 60 ODI matches. raqib and mahmudullah played nearly 40 matches. we are still on the losing side and that is what matters. in subcontinent, a score of 300 nowadays is no more a brilliant total to cheer about. it was an amazing total ten years back. Anyway, just wait few days and you will see the old Bangladesh batting getting allout for 160. just wait. it is coming. :flag::flag::flag:

Purbasha T
January 7, 2010, 06:10 PM
It looks like we are improving but it is not improvement. scoring 296 against a weak bowling attack in a flat track is not improvement specially when you have some batsmen (ashraful, tamim, shakib, mushfiq) with experience of playing more than 60 ODI matches. raqib and mahmudullah played nearly 40 matches. we are still on the losing side and that is what matters. in subcontinent, a score of 300 nowadays is no more a brilliant total to cheer about. it was an amazing total ten years back. Anyway, just wait few days and you will see the old Bangladesh batting getting allout for 160. just wait. it is coming. :flag::flag::flag:

And you put three BD flags at the end? :-p

Purbasha T
January 7, 2010, 06:13 PM
We could have been a lot better position if our spinners could utilize the surface properly without the influence of Dew. Rasel could have given us an early breakthrough like he always does.

This is the part I was thinking of. I intially thought Shakib had decided to bat only because he had thought they'd be better off defending, but losing total confidence in his bowlers is a put-off. Surely, they could have bowled better than they did at night. They're good at batting against spin? Fine, we're good against bowling spin. So it'd have been a proper contest.

Anyway, there's always a tomorrow.

Swedbangla
January 7, 2010, 06:20 PM
And you put three BD flags at the end? :-p

Ya, because I am a Bangladeshi and I will support Bangladesh team forever. but I am pragmatic and don't see any bright future for the team as time is running out. We should be at this position 5 years ago. then we might have won regularly now. But I think it is too late and just a matter of time that BCCI, ACB, ECB will decide to throw us in the second tier to play only with zim, ken, and ireland. the sign is already visible. aus cancelled the Bangladesh tour to australia, nz reduce the number of test match, ind never invite us, ecb threaten not to invite in future, etc etc. :flag::flag::flag:

Rifat
January 7, 2010, 06:37 PM
i hate ashraful playing those cheeky shots:mad:

he usually plays thsose shots with ease, today he just mistimed the ball...i see him play that same shot all the time for a single/four at third man.

Rifat
January 7, 2010, 06:42 PM
Ya, because I am a Bangladeshi and I will support Bangladesh team forever. but I am pragmatic and don't see any bright future for the team as time is running out. We should be at this position 5 years ago. then we might have won regularly now. But I think it is too late and just a matter of time that BCCI, ACB, ECB will decide to throw us in the second tier to play only with zim, ken, and ireland. the sign is already visible. aus cancelled the Bangladesh tour to australia, nz reduce the number of test match, ind never invite us, ecb threaten not to invite in future, etc etc. :flag::flag::flag:

buddy, how many years did it take Sri Lanka to win their first Test Match again?

secondly, at the age of internet and free information, attention and hype is 50 times MAGNIFIED, Bangladesh receive less credit than they deserve. we always fight hard, sometimes we see the fruits sometimes we don't. it is not easy learning international cricket in one shot...expecting miracles everyday is too much to ask from anyone.

we finally have a process that seems to be producing quality cricketers, things take time. five years ago, these same boys were practicing in their backyard just to be where they are now, blasting 50s with ease against international teams like India, Sri Lanka.....

Put things intio perspective, will ya ;)?

Orpheus
January 7, 2010, 07:25 PM
I actually wanted to see a curve... a graph.. you disappoint me sometimes boro bhai.

Ishtylish cricketer
January 7, 2010, 07:52 PM
I really enjoyed the batting today. I know previous posters have accused Ashraful and Rakibul of wasting deliveries but their consolidation in the middle overs made sure we were never in danger of being all out. Too bad both got out after getting set. Had Ash carried on for bit longer we would have posted 340. Ash and Rakib's resistance paved way for Mahmudullah to play aggressively and show his full repertoire of shots. I was really disappointed in Tamim's shot execution. His inning had so much potential but ended much to prematurely. Overall, very satisfied with the batting performance barring the cardinal mistake by few of our batsmen of not kicking on once a start was achieved.

The lack of penetration by fast bowler is a real concern. The bowlers bowling short pitch on this pitch didn't scare anyone. Whenever Shadat doesn't play we miss that enforcer type of fast bowler in the mould of Harmisson or Peter Siddle. Indian players are notorious for not being able to cope with steep bounce and today more than ever we needed Shadat at his best. Granted it was a really good pitch to bat on but none of the bowlers seemed to have any variations that could fool the batsmen into playing a false shot. As JS mentioned in his interview to Miraz bhai that's a skill our pacers lack. I wonder if Shadat would have made a difference. The lack of fast bowling depth is very telling when one watches the fast opening bowling pair.

Umar
January 7, 2010, 08:36 PM
Agreed with the post

The best thing about today is that our players proved we do not rely on one or two players anymore. Anyone can score runs for the team. Thanks ALOK, SN, AFTAB as they are the reason I feel why otheres are determined more on their own game.

Now from the day our bowlers can take 10 wickets without any help of MASH, will be the day from when we will win in regular basis. I wish we get more bolwers like sayed rasel!

Ajfar
January 7, 2010, 08:50 PM
i'm so happy to see our batting finally click. when was the last time we scored 250+ in back to back innings against G8. i really hope Nazmul will be back before the test series or our pace department will continue to suffer. had it been Srilanka instead of India yesterday the story could have been very different.

magic boy
January 7, 2010, 11:51 PM
hahahaha....so these Alok,Nafees,Aftab are actually the pseudo ghost under the bed to keep the babies calm :D nice policy ...lol

al Furqaan
January 8, 2010, 12:31 AM
I really enjoyed the batting today. I know previous posters have accused Ashraful and Rakibul of wasting deliveries but their consolidation in the middle overs made sure we were never in danger of being all out. Too bad both got out after getting set. Had Ash carried on for bit longer we would have posted 340. Ash and Rakib's resistance paved way for Mahmudullah to play aggressively and show his full repertoire of shots. I was really disappointed in Tamim's shot execution. His inning had so much potential but ended much to prematurely. Overall, very satisfied with the batting performance barring the cardinal mistake by few of our batsmen of not kicking on once a start was achieved.

The lack of penetration by fast bowler is a real concern. The bowlers bowling short pitch on this pitch didn't scare anyone. Whenever Shadat doesn't play we miss that enforcer type of fast bowler in the mould of Harmisson or Peter Siddle. Indian players are notorious for not being able to cope with steep bounce and today more than ever we needed Shadat at his best. Granted it was a really good pitch to bat on but none of the bowlers seemed to have any variations that could fool the batsmen into playing a false shot. As JS mentioned in his interview to Miraz bhai that's a skill our pacers lack. I wonder if Shadat would have made a difference. The lack of fast bowling depth is very telling when one watches the fast opening bowling pair.

spot on about the batting part. can't agree on the bowling part tho.

i thought the pacers did very well under the circumstances. both rasel and rubel got wickets of very good and dangerous batsmen to create the 51-3 opening for the spinners. while sakib bowled well enough, razzak let off the pressure. pacers lost us the SL game (and we were 30-50 runs short), spinners (mainly razzak) cost us this one (again we were 30 runs short).

at any rate, obvious progress is being made. and i can tell you that the indian fans tones have changed.

just look at their insults against us...it has a tone of jealousy to it now instead of ridicule - how dare we smack their bowlers for 300!

they are also deeply worried abotu their world cup chances due to our "inept" batsmen smacking each of their bowlers.

that in and of itself is priceless against a fanbase which believes that a world cup semifinal berth is their national birth right.

Rifat
January 8, 2010, 12:54 AM
spot on about the batting part. can't agree on the bowling part tho.

i thought the pacers did very well under the circumstances. both rasel and rubel got wickets of very good and dangerous batsmen to create the 51-3 opening for the spinners. while sakib bowled well enough, razzak let off the pressure. pacers lost us the SL game (and we were 30-50 runs short), spinners (mainly razzak) cost us this one (again we were 30 runs short).

at any rate, obvious progress is being made. and i can tell you that the indian fans tones have changed.

just look at their insults against us...it has a tone of jealousy to it now instead of ridicule - how dare we smack their bowlers for 300!

they are also deeply worried abotu their world cup chances due to our "inept" batsmen smacking each of their bowlers.

that in and of itself is priceless against a fanbase which believes that a world cup semifinal berth is their national birth right.

:floor::floor:

mafizraju
January 8, 2010, 01:31 AM

Miraj bhai you are being too harsh here really.

Every human being, as they grow up, slowly get to learn their potentials and how to use it. They slowly learn to struggle, and then with bit of luck wins once a while. but to be a real winner, a consistent one, first thing he needs to learn is a simple assessment of his abilities and weakness. But then if he has never won merely by his own ability, he wouldn't know what his ability really is. S/He slowly explores and learns.

The situation is the same for Shakib's team. They have made a good assessment of their situation, employed a strategy. That did not quite work this time. Few close calls and misses, bit of luck could have had made the situation different. But Then 'luck' won't win you matches always.

You get lucky when your preparation meets your opportunities..... Were we prepared enough?

But signs of improvement was definitely there.

Swedbangla
January 8, 2010, 05:09 AM
buddy, how many years did it take Sri Lanka to win their first Test Match again?

secondly, at the age of internet and free information, attention and hype is 50 times MAGNIFIED, Bangladesh receive less credit than they deserve. we always fight hard, sometimes we see the fruits sometimes we don't. it is not easy learning international cricket in one shot...expecting miracles everyday is too much to ask from anyone.

we finally have a process that seems to be producing quality cricketers, things take time. five years ago, these same boys were practicing in their backyard just to be where they are now, blasting 50s with ease against international teams like India, Sri Lanka.....

Put things intio perspective, will ya ;)?

Sri Lanka got test status in 1982 and won their fisrt test match in 1985 against a formidable indian side that was world champion at that time. They won the series against australia when australia first visited sri lanka. We, the Bangladeshis lost almost all the test matches played at home against the top sides whereas sri lanka was and is a formidable side in test cricket at home since their birth in test cricket. india won just 3 test matches in sri lanka (only one before 1996) lost 3 out of 4 series. england won just one test match in sri lanka before 1996 and could manage to win just three matches till now in sri lanka. west indies never won a test match in sri lanka inspite of their great bowling in early ninties. So, please do not compare sri lanka's record with us. they have a far better test record at home than us. unfortunately our Bangladesh team just found a way to lose every match and we cannot get out of the way. and it is getting too late as icc can anytime relegate us to the second tier to play only aganist ireland, zim, and ken. :flag::flag::flag:

abu2abu
January 8, 2010, 05:35 AM
Every time we've lost a game in this series people have responded with "we were 20-30 runs short" - I don't think that's right.

India got 296 yesterday with something like 15 balls to spare, if we had scored 310 or 320 the Indian batsmen would merely have adapted their run rate accordingly.

What hurt us yesterday was our bowling.

We started well by dismissing Sehwag, Ghambir and Yuvraj but failed to capitalise on that. Our bowlers may have faired better if they were bowling earlier in the day without the dew - but there's no doubt that the bowling is failing to make inroads.

In that game yesterday (and against Sri lanka today too i suspect) we will need to bowl the opposition out to win.

With our current bowlers and in these Mirpur conditions our bowling attack is not capable of bowling sides out.

magic boy
January 8, 2010, 07:00 AM
260+296+249 = visible improvement considering the fact that this team is just 2 years old (under Jaime Siddons)

Swedbangla
January 8, 2010, 09:09 AM
260+296+249 = visible improvement considering the fact that this team is just 2 years old (under Jaime Siddons)

Scoring 249 with one batsman having experience of 155 ODIs (ashraful) and three batsmen with experience of more than 60 matches is a good performance!!!! Come on, do not support blindly. I am also a big Bangladesh cricket fan but try to be little pragmatic. we lost 4 wickets for 75 in the first match and 3 for 88 in third match. this means our top order failed against SL. these are flat pitches and 250 scores do not mean anything at all. this is the reality. :flag::flag::flag:

magic boy
January 8, 2010, 09:49 AM
Scoring 249 with one batsman having experience of 155 ODIs (ashraful) and three batsmen with experience of more than 60 matches is a good performance!!!! Come on, do not support blindly.

these are flat pitches and 250 scores do not mean anything at all. this is the reality.
how many times did you notice consecutive 240+ score against major test playing nations before including these experienced players? that's the sorta improvement we're talking about. no matter how the pitch is. we were such a bad team that we never took the benefit of good batting flat pitch before. we had to be satisfied scoring 220+ once among 10 matches.This is the improvement of total Team Bangladesh. and this team NOW doesn't even depend on highly experienced players.

I am also a big Bangladesh cricket fan but try to be little pragmatic. we lost 4 wickets for 75 in the first match and 3 for 88 in third match. this means our top order failed against SL.
no, we lost early wickets but we made the score 240+ its called team effort and its so far so good to mention...noting wrong in it...where in past we had to struggle to make it maximum 220+ loosing all wickets. but in this series BD hasn't lost all 10 wickets. that's also an improvement to mark

revolver
January 8, 2010, 09:58 AM
riad has chanded alot

Swedbangla
January 8, 2010, 10:32 AM
how many times did you notice consecutive 240+ score against major test playing nations before including these experienced players? that's the sorta improvement we're talking about. no matter how the pitch is. we were such a bad team that we never took the benefit of good batting flat pitch before. we had to be satisfied scoring 220+ once among 10 matches.This is the improvement of total Team Bangladesh. and this team NOW doesn't even depend on highly experienced players.

no, we lost early wickets but we made the score 240+ its called team effort and its so far so good to mention...noting wrong in it...where in past we had to struggle to make it maximum 220+ loosing all wickets. but in this series BD hasn't lost all 10 wickets. that's also an improvement to mark

don't be so sure. you might see another 200 allout or 220 allout score by our team in the next match. they showed a sign today. they were 227 for 8 today. :flag::flag:

magic boy
January 8, 2010, 10:43 AM
don't be so sure. you might see another 200 allout or 220 allout score by our team in the next match. they showed a sign today. they were 227 for 8 today. :flag::flag:

so why not another 290+ without being all out ? ;) anything can happen. admit or not This Team has proved it - they are capable of batting 50 overs with respectable total against good enough bowling of greater teams.you may be not but I'm hopeful.

Purbasha T
January 8, 2010, 10:53 AM

Only two flags this time? you losing love for your country? :-p

hbk619
January 8, 2010, 11:22 AM

all credit goes to mr. riyad and mr naeem and tamim

Swedbangla
January 8, 2010, 11:54 AM
Only two flags this time? you losing love for your country? :-p

No, my love is increasing. that is why four flags this time. hahahahah!!!:flag::flag::flag::flag:

LateCut
January 8, 2010, 01:23 PM
"We should have scored at least 30 more runs. We had a very good foundation, but we lost too many wickets in the Powerplay. Hopefully we'll do better next time."

What is he talking about? There were 7overs left when the belted out 250. So, he thinks that SL would have trouble scoring 30 with 9wickets left? He is insane! That is where I draw my line. This is sign of immaturity. This is th reason he opted to bat first in the last game. Talented he is but not a thinker.

Tigers_eye
January 8, 2010, 01:25 PM
What is he talking about? There were 7overs left when the belted out 250. So, he thinks that SL would have trouble scoring 30 with 9wickets left? He is insane! That is where I draw my line. This is sign of immaturity. This is th reason he opted to bat first in the last game. Talented he is but not a thinker.
May be 30 extra runs would motivate the whole team from the beginning that this was winable. They strive a little harder, concentrate better, pitch on line instead of wayward. Who knows what could have happened.

Eshen
January 8, 2010, 01:26 PM
I don't think it's about win or lose anymore, it's now about reaching goals set by Siddons.

Beamer
January 8, 2010, 01:30 PM

These are the same lines HaBa and Ash used to give us. 30 more runs, 20 more runs, blah blah. Heck with 30 runs, they would have chased down 80 more runs with that type of wkts in hand. When will we start to hold our pathetic bowlers accountable?

LateCut
January 8, 2010, 01:31 PM
May be 30 extra runs would motivate the whole team from the beginning that this was winable. They strive a little harder, concentrate better, pitch on line instead of wayward. Who knows what could have happened.

You are an optimist. I am sure he is not talking about "what if"s. He simply does not grasp it. This is about the "Mindset" Miraz talked about. He is good 5yrs away from becoming a thinking captain.

Tiger Manc
January 8, 2010, 01:33 PM
Finally some thoughtful posts. Specially when you are tired of reading so many naive posts in the match forum. Good analysis Miraz bhai. However, I believe the total approach would have been different if you had 100% fit Mash in the side. Though I doubt the result would have been any different. Besides, our strength is spin bowling and we all know how good Indians are against spin, on top of that pitch offered nothing for any kind of bowlers, dew or no dew. Therefore, I think we did just fine. I also believe the English are in for a shock.

Yeah I agree with your comments. The one thing that we benefit from these defeats is that the english will take us lightly and i think they'll be in for a shock when they face our batting lineup.

LateCut
January 8, 2010, 01:37 PM
These are the same lines HaBa and Ash used to give us. 30 more runs, 20 more runs, blah blah. Heck with 30 runs, they would have chased down 80 more runs with that type of wkts in hand. When will we start to hold our pathetic bowlers accountable?

Right on brother!

Tiger Manc
January 8, 2010, 01:40 PM
Indeed. It was worth sleeping only 3 hours and staying up the rest of the time to watch the entire BD inning. We lost the last couple of games because a)we battled two teams whose batsmen are too good, especially on flat tracks, b)the toss didn't go our way and even when it did, we made the wrong choice and c)we just don't have bowlers who are good enough.

Had this been England, Pakistan or the West Indies, we would have caused a couple of reorgs in a couple of cricket boards.

Spot on! Took the words out of my mouth. They're batting is just too good. We were outclassed. Bring on New Zealand and England! I feel we can cause an upset or two.

Purbasha T
January 8, 2010, 01:42 PM
Over-reacting fans and their over-reactions. :mad: Can't believe people complain like aaaaaaaaaa after the show the players put up in last three matches. Analyse, but stop blank-criticising. Our team used to starve for consistency. Finally, it's getting some; be grateful for it.

Miraz
January 8, 2010, 01:47 PM
Over-reacting fans and their over-reactions. :mad: Can't believe people complain like aaaaaaaaaa after the show the players put up in last three matches. Analyse, but stop blank-criticising. Our team used to starve for consistency. Finally, it's getting some; be grateful for it.

Consistency in what? Losing? Sorry mate! I am not very much interested to see this type of consistency in Bangladesh team.

I agree, they were hard done by the surface and dew factors. However, there is very little to brag about after scoring 250 plus scores on roads and losing inside 43 overs by 9 wickets.

SS
January 8, 2010, 01:50 PM
http://www.cricinfo.com/tri-bdesh2010/content/current/story/443157.html

Sakib Mamu ki Bashar 2.0 or Ash 2.0 ....

Tiger Manc
January 8, 2010, 01:56 PM

I know! There's far too more whingers on here. People need to look at our batting achievements and be grateful for that. I think this is the first time in our history we have 5 batsman who average more than 30 (including Shahriar Nafees). We need to look at the positives.

Purbasha T
January 8, 2010, 02:02 PM
Consistency in what? Losing? Sorry mate! I am not very much interested to see this type of consistency in Bangladesh team.

I agree, they were hard done by the surface and dew factors. However, there is very little to brag about after scoring 250 plus scores on roads and losing inside 43 overs by 9 wickets.

Bro, I'm saying they were hard done by. And after seeing the first couple of matches always going the team's way who were batting second, it was even difficult to convince oneself that 250 was gonna be anything good to defend. Think of a feeling which says no matter how well you try to bowl, you're gonna end up losing. The team we have, some things need to go our way for us to give boosts; whereas in this series it didn't and what more!! it actually went the other way in all the matches.

You may talk about Shakib's decision in the India's match. He had his own (or a consensus of others around, maybe) ideas about how to go in this match, only to come up short in the middle overs of the Indian innings; well, there we can criticise some of his decisions. But otherwise, there's no scope of complaining. And had his plans come off (and there was every possibility for those to happen), we all would have been hailing him as the next Ponting etc etc. Well, he could've chosen to field first and trust his batsmen to chase down whatever India put up, but he decided whatever he felt right at that moment.

Only the morning period in all the matches in this series can be really used as an evidence to say anything about performances of the teams. We all saw how the conditions affected the gameplay at night. Plus Rubel and Shafiul were just not upto mark.

WarWolf
January 8, 2010, 02:03 PM
I am happy with Shakib's comment tonight. But I would have loved to see him showing a little bit more arrogance.

Eshen
January 8, 2010, 02:07 PM

Well said.

It never ceases to surprise me how many cricket fans we have here that are content to see the team losing without any contest!

SS
January 8, 2010, 02:08 PM
Let's see if not the dew factor...how the bowling dept performs ...but its alarming

Purbasha T
January 8, 2010, 02:09 PM
Well said.

It never ceases to surprise me how many cricket fans we have here that are content to see the team losing without any contest!

We're not (well, at least I am not) happy to see our team lose without any contest. But I also realise how difficult it was for our bowlers to put up a good show in those conditions. And I don't think you have any complaints against our batsmen.

Eshen
January 8, 2010, 02:19 PM
And I don't think you have any complaints against our batsmen.
Sure I do - middle overs batting by Rock-Shak pair simply lacked guts, they were playing for just another honorable defeat.

PP batting showed why we need to play more T20Is - to learn how to be aggressive without losing your heads.

SS
January 8, 2010, 02:23 PM
I hated today's body language when we went to field...we gave up while we were batting...I understand back to back matches..but if they were not fit to play with full power we could have used some ICLers or reserve bowlers who would not have done worst than today's bowlers...if we are that much depend on spinners on the middle over our part time spinners need to become better...and pacers ...I don't even want to mention how much training is required to fill the void of Mash....

LateCut
January 8, 2010, 02:27 PM
http://www.cricinfo.com/tri-bdesh2010/content/current/story/443157.html

sakib mamu ki bashar 2.0 or ash 2.0 ....

না! সাকিব আশরাফুলের থেকে ভাল ইংরাজি বালে। হাবা যদিও এদের তিনজনের মধ্যে সবথেকে ভাল ইংরাজি বলত। আশরাফুল গাধা এবং মুরখা।

Purbasha T
January 8, 2010, 02:31 PM
Sure I do - middle overs batting by Rock-Shak pair simply lacked guts, they were playing for just another honorable defeat.

PP batting showed why we need to play more T20Is - to learn how to be aggressive without losing your heads.

Oh well, that's something I have too. In general batting wasn't bad, but they surely need to get going more in the middle overs. You surely slow down a bit in terms of boundaries scored, but doesn't mean you should stop taking singles. This is where the momentum stops.

Edit: And all the teams are having hard time managing the PP overs. Not always it's gonna come off smoothly like it did for us in the first two matches, so today's one can be excused.

al Furqaan
January 8, 2010, 04:31 PM

Beamer, didn't thnk you'd go so hard on the bowlers too!

i agree with whoever said we're over-reacting.

sure, this match was disappointing, a 9 wicket win inside 43 overs is indeed a slaughter. but, these things happen in cricket, and we aren't "there yet", merely "on the way".

its going to be a while before we start to punish the opposition. we're just not there yet.

if you think our achievement is crappy, lets not forget that we are, or at least were a "crappy" team.

progress is being made. just because its not at light speed doesn't mean its retrograde!