PDA

View Full Version : Don't lose before it starts

sharifk
January 7, 2010, 03:22 PM
I am not going to call name or blame anyone for today's loss to India, but I am just wondering as to whether BD team was confident of winning against India at all. I hope our decision to bat first wasn't from the fear that we would be humiliated if India was to bat first. Was our team thinking that if we would fail to chase successfully, our capability would be questioned since it had been the norm for the chasing team to win in dew condition?

I am not up for only keep on taking positives from each games that we lose, but I would like to see our team applies the lessons each learns from each game. One thing that's proven after today's game though is that our team is capable of performing at least in ODIs. What's missing from becoming a winning team is believing that we are capable of winning against anyone and in any condition. If we keep on thinking that we will only win if the other team (anyone from the top 8) has a bad day or only if we bat first or second, then we will lose game anytime it doesn't happen our desired way. Believing that we have the capability to win in any condition, we will fight hard every ball, every over, every player and every team. This way, you make the right decision every moment, and a given advantage due to winning a toss or poor performance of the opposing team becomes a true advantage for your team. Then we would have decided to chase in today's condition after winning the toss. We would have applied more aggressive fielding after India was 51/3. But in your mind if you lose before even it starts, you only wait for the other team's bad performance or for your fate.

sharifk
January 9, 2010, 11:33 PM
http://www.cricinfo.com/tri-bdesh2010/content/story/443157.html

after reading that the team doesn't have enough confidence to chase big scores, i am certain about the reason behind deciding to bat first against india and it's unacceptable....it seems that we r back in 2005/06/07 when we were winning only occasionally against big teams....but i didn't think winning against aussie in 2005 or winnings against nz, india and sa in 2007 were flukes...i believe the team was becoming competitive and getting occasional wins.....after 3 years with much more skilled players and a full year of confidence building games by playing million or so games against zimbabwe and weakened wi, we are supposed to gain confidence....we need to move forward from winning occasionally to winning regularly.....i believe we have gained the technical skills but this lack of confidence is hurting us.....lack of confidence has let us down in tri-series games......we were able to chase over 300 against zim because we believed in ourselves and we knew winning was the only option to play for when u play for 160 million people....at least u try....if u fail after trying we will understand....but if u fail because u don't try for lack of confidence, it's unforgivable.... it shouldn't take another couple of years to gain the needed confidence as that have passed already.......

i am sorry to say this that siddons, as good as a technical and batting or assistant coach he may be, he has failed as a head coach for not being able to boost up confidence in the team.....but to shakib, we have better expectations from u...u r #1 all rounder in the world so i have confidence in you....u better start believing.......otherwise how could the whole world have faith in u if u don't have the confidence in urself?

zainab
January 10, 2010, 11:44 AM
Bashar and Ash also demonstrated lack of confidence. They do not believe that they can win against better teams and it seems that Sakib is following in their footsteps. Probably, when Mash becomes captain, the team will be more pepped up because he has more of a fiery and fighting character.
Sakib looks to me to take the safe way and not willing to take chances which a captain has to do. Ponting is a good example of this.

Purbasha T
January 10, 2010, 12:25 PM
Bashar and Ash also demonstrated lack of confidence. They do not believe that they can win against better teams and it seems that Sakib is following in their footsteps. Probably, when Mash becomes captain, the team will be more pepped up because he has more of a fiery and fighting character.
Sakib looks to me to take the safe way and not willing to take chances which a captain has to do. Ponting is a good example of this.

I don't see where exactly Shakib said that. All Shakib said is that he thought the team had more chances of doing India by setting a big total and defending it than letting India bat first and chasing it. I'm sure even if they were made to chase by India, they wouldn't have just given up. It's just that he went for the best option for his team that he thought would be fruitful.

And he wanted his team to bowl in hostile conditions against a group of batting-monsters. Now what does that tell you about his chance-taking? Isn't that deserving some credit considering the punishments the bowlers had to face in the previous matches when bowling second?

Neel Here
January 10, 2010, 01:07 PM
pretty please people, go back and read what shakib said. his english isn't the best and you gyus are simply twisting the meaning of his words to mean something he didn't mean.

as captain it's his responsibility to decide what's best tactics for the team, considering everything he decided that setting a target would give his side a better chance at winning, that is ALL.

what he DID NOT mean was that chasing a target meant certain loss ! :mad:

sharifk
January 10, 2010, 10:33 PM
All Shakib said is that he thought the team had more chances of doing India by setting a big total and defending it than letting India bat first and chasing it.

i think shakib is the best thing so far has happened to bd cricket, so i am not for bashing him, although i must say i expected better from him at least from this tri-series.....my criticism wasn't for shak only as i think his decision had something to do with the team strategy......it's the team management who has created this negativity in the team i believe.....but to shakib, how in the world with his cricketing brain he thought it would be easier to defend in such condition?