PDA

View Full Version : Cricket Afordability and Geogrophical spread in terms of popularity in Bangladesh

bishen
January 20, 2010, 02:04 AM
Hey Guys, I have taken up a university project and trying to study the state of cricket in Bangladesh....still have a a couple of questions answered...it would be great help if anyone could help me answer them.

1) Can anybody shed some light and advise the number of people (inclusive kids and elders) in bangladesh play cricket.....I do understand that the population in Bangladesh is over 100 million and most of them play cricket....but am still not sure as to what percent of people play or are interested in cricket in Bangladesh.

2) Also, to play cricket a person needs to have some accessories like - bat, ball, pads n stuff and these itmes don;t come cheap....so can anyone pass me some info on the Affordability of cricket by people in Bangladesh......i.e what percent of population can afford playing cricket.....

Please do help me with the above ASAP....thanks heaps in advance.

_Rafi_
January 20, 2010, 04:38 AM
50-60%. In village still football rules along with Kabadi. But in town area cricket is the premium sports
its only my opinion. Not sure about official statistics

Tigers_eye
January 20, 2010, 06:24 AM
I would be shocked if the number is over 10%.

90% of the people live below proverty level. THey can't afford to eat three meals a day. cricket is a luxury that they can't afford.

My opinion based on nothing just intuition.

_Rafi_
January 20, 2010, 06:40 AM
I would be shocked if the number is over 10%.

90% of the people live below proverty level. THey can't afford to eat three meals a day. cricket is a luxury that they can't afford.

My opinion based on nothing just intuition.

90% below poverty level ! Sounds like opponent party in Jatio Sangsad

magic boy
January 20, 2010, 08:51 AM
Where are you from bishen? non-Bangladeshi?(just for inquiry)

1) Can anybody shed some light and advise the number of people (inclusive kids and elders) in bangladesh play cricket.....I do understand that the population in Bangladesh is over 100 million and most of them play cricket....but am still not sure as to what percent of people play or are interested in cricket in Bangladesh.

90% Bangladeshi are interested in cricket. those who are not also know a lot about it.
We are not that much known as cricket loving nation as Indian but we are not less interested. (sorry no official stats available regarding this)

2) Also, to play cricket a person needs to have some accessories like - bat, ball, pads n stuff and these itmes don;t come cheap....so can anyone pass me some info on the Affordability of cricket by people in Bangladesh......i.e what percent of population can afford playing cricket.....

Affordability differs. It is really not easy for someone in rural areas of Bangladesh to have all kinds of cricketing kits to pay the cricket ...moreover there are also other issues. standard playground,pitch etc. I believe even cricket as religion in India playing cricket maintaining all those issues(kits+pitch+field) are possible. Rich kids,good clubs etc can.
suppose in Bangladesh most of the boys in rural areas play cricket with homemade kits. even some of those are not standard enough. but they play it happily. how does it sound to you? tape-tennis, 10 inch brick as stump, revised fielding etc

bottom line: almost every Bangladeshi play cricket. similar to other sub-continent courtiers with their version of cricketing kits.:-|