PDA

View Full Version : If cricket never died out in America?

Nafi
January 24, 2010, 11:25 AM
How different would it be today if cricket had never died out to baseball in the North American continent. And gained popularity with comparable footing on American Football and Basketball is. (basically replacing baseball, which doesn't even exist)

Assuming the history of rules, still progressed the same, as well as the introduction of the 50 over game and Twenty20.

How different would international cricket would be, if the US were part of the oldest test nations alongside Australia and England, and took the sport very seriously in the international stage, and a strong history of playing test cricket.

Would that had produced competitive players, would they have dominated the international scene. Would they be able to produce batsmen with the caliber as Ponting. Would they produce heaps of 90mph bowlers???

Discuss. Im very interested in Al Furqaan's thoughts.

Zeeshan
January 24, 2010, 06:37 PM
Interesting idea. But money+athleticism would most likely take them to the pinnacle although I see them going more with the T20 bandwagon had the sport remained. :)

nycpro96
January 24, 2010, 08:23 PM
US would've done good imo. Strong players. But, American players would also carry with them loads of problems to the cricket world.

Ajfar
January 25, 2010, 12:48 AM
U.S.A. would have wanted to add time outs to the game

akabir77
January 25, 2010, 12:51 AM
USA would have won 6 out of 8 world cup and then it would haven reviled that all the players was taking steroids at that time ;

Equinox
January 25, 2010, 02:08 PM
I guess they would be running things instead of India or England

Tigers_eye
January 25, 2010, 02:40 PM
WI would have been much stronger as well. 6'8" could easily be found in every state/city teams. Imagine bowling attack of 6-8+ all bowling 145k+. Mathew Haydenisque top order. Their baseball fielding standard would have definitely improved.

Ajfar
January 25, 2010, 11:10 PM
WI would have been much stronger as well. 6'8" could easily be found in every state/city teams. Imagine bowling attack of 6-8+ all bowling 145k+. Mathew Haydenisque top order. Their baseball fielding standard would have definitely improved.

imagine yao ming fielding by the boundary. you better damn make sure you cleared the boundary over his head

Nafi
January 26, 2010, 06:00 AM

Body strength doesnt equal cricketing strength.

And a 6ft 8 wouldnt be able to bowl 90mph, physically, their body would destroy itself due to the stress.

Garner was a genetic exceptio, alongside the fact, he didnt bowl that many overs.

Tigers_eye
January 26, 2010, 02:42 PM
Body strength doesnt equal cricketing strength.

And a 6ft 8 wouldnt be able to bowl 90mph, physically, their body would destroy itself due to the stress.

Garner was a genetic exceptio, alongside the fact, he didnt bowl that many overs.
How many Marshall, Holding and Crofts would have been produced?

Randy Johnson (baseball) would be bowling with speed that no one would have seen before. By the way, he is 6' 8".

6' 8" bowlers can get the bounce. Bruce Reid, C Ambrose, C Walsh. Players nowadays can't play the bounce. Even if you are Ponting, Dilshan, Shewag ABCD. We all saw the greats Tendu-Dravid how discomfort they felt facing fast-medium balls of Rubel in a placid wkt. Roach bothering Ponting.

ahaque
January 27, 2010, 09:50 PM
on the flipside the u19 usa team won a match

Nafi
January 28, 2010, 06:10 AM
We all saw the greats Tendu-Dravid how discomfort they felt facing fast-medium balls of Rubel in a placid wkt. Roach bothering Ponting.

Roach and Rubel are not very tall.

Roach is 6ft, and Rubel is probably near the same.

Randy Johnson (baseball) would be bowling with speed that no one would have seen before. By the way, he is 6' 8".

Throwing a ball from standstill, is a lot different from charging from a run-up. You do know that when you land on the foot, there is nine times your body weight is transferred onto your front foot.

Though I dont know how well he would do in cricket, bowling. He looks ideal to fill in roles such as Gillespie did.

The bio-mechanics that create the perfect fast bowler, is a very very tricky subject.

Tigers_eye
January 28, 2010, 10:54 AM
Roach and Rubel are not very tall.

Roach is 6ft, and Rubel is probably near the same.
Did you not question body strength as well?

Throwing a ball from standstill, is a lot different from charging from a run-up. You do know that when you land on the foot, there is nine times your body weight is transferred onto your front foot.

Though I dont know how well he would do in cricket, bowling. He looks ideal to fill in roles such as Gillespie did.

The bio-mechanics that create the perfect fast bowler, is a very very tricky subject.
What makes you think USA wouldn't have capitalized on bio-machanics? The way they play other sports not only they would have taken advantage of that but also disect opponents weakness and exploit.
+++
You know your bowling speed. Try to pitch a baseball standing and see how fast you can throw. Reverse and compare that to what Randy could do.

These are mere speculations because it didn't happen. I'd like think they would have ruled the world just like WI.

Rabz
January 29, 2010, 01:39 PM
T20 would have introduced atleast some 10 years ago.
ODI would have introduced atleast some 50 years ago.

Test cricket would have died by now.

Neel Here
January 29, 2010, 02:38 PM
What makes you think USA wouldn't have capitalized on bio-machanics? The way they play other sports not only they would have taken advantage of that but also disect opponents weakness and exploit. how many football WC has US won will all that jazz ? ;) how many in field hockey ?
US is good but not unbeatable. let's not get carried away by the buzzwords.

cricman
January 29, 2010, 10:11 PM
how many football WC has US won will all that jazz ? ;) how many in field hockey ?
US is good but not unbeatable. let's not get carried away by the buzzwords.

Field Hockey isn't even popular in the US, in Soccer You Can Atleast say there are 25 Nations that are really good instead of 10 Test PLaying Nations, Soccer is more About Skill.

We have many more Options in Athletics as opposed to the other countires.

On February 10, 1935, while on a visit to London, Babe Ruth kept his promise to Bradman. The baseball great's cricket coach on this occasion was Alan Fairfax, the former Australian star. True to his reputation, Ruth smashed local fast bowlers all over the premises, breaking his first cricket bat in the process.

Ruth enjoyed cricket so much that he spent an extra hour at the school by Thames where the demo was held. In the event, he was late for a luncheon engagement with his wife.

Alan Fairfax was happy about the progress his new celebrity student appeared to be making. "In a fortnight, I could make one of the world's greatest batsmen out of him," he told the assembled press.

Babe Ruth smiled and said, "They tell me that $40 a week is top pay for cricket. I think I will stick to baseball." Babe Ruth was already the highest paid professional ball player in the world by 1929. His pay was $70,000.

According to NY Times, Babe tried to adjust his stance without too much luck. So he went back to his baseball methods and smacked everything that Fairfax and his students served. When he was done, the bat had a broken handle and the reporters noted that he had edged so many balls that the edges had nearly disappeared.

Ruth said "I wish I could use a wide bat like this in baseball. I would top Colonel Ruppert's payroll."

Ruth argued that a baseball pitcher is faster than a cricket bowler against the prevailing sentiment among the British onlookers. He said, "if anybody thinks Larwood throws a faster ball than Walter Johnson, they can have my money." Someone suggested that Larwood be brought to London so Babe Ruth can get a first-hand experience.

Neel Here
January 29, 2010, 10:48 PM
Soccer is more About SkillEVERY sport is more about skill, including cricket. fitness and bio-mechanics are a means to that end, not an end in itself.

mind I remind you how babe ruth's physique looked like ? :D http://www.insidesocal.com/prepsports/11%20babe%20ruth.jpg

as for the NYT report, it means little. of course a skilled player can hit a bunch of club bowlers out of the park. I remember back in the 90's ajay jadeja went to US on some promotional work after a sahara cup. he was invited to a MLB team's practice (don't ask me the name or their league standing for I don't remember)and he hit the pitchers with impunity, with a number of home runs. when asked he said these are all full tosses for me ! as you see, it cuts both ways.

Field Hockey isn't even popular in the US, in Soccer You Can Atleast say there are 25 Nations that are really good instead of 10 Test PLaying Nations, Soccer is more About Skill.
so when there are more than 10 competitive teams in a sport, bio-mechanics and all that jazz goes out of the window ? :D
how many countries play with any seriousness in the team sports US dominates ?

even in international basketball US regularly gets trounced by lesser known names.

bujhee kom
January 31, 2010, 12:41 AM
A couple of things that I like to add....but these are just my personal observations, understanding and opinions and as the saying goes, opinions are like butt-holes, everybody has one, so here is mine!

In the US,

1. Filed Hockey (Just Hockey in our sub-continent and other parts of the world) is primarily a girls' sports and not even colegiate level, it is primarily played in private girls'/catholic girls schools in the northeast in the US. Now of course, when they(in the US) speak of "Hockey" they (in the US) mean what in the outside world we call "Ice Hockey" and we all know how US plays in that. "Field Hockey" is almost an unknown game in an average American household.

2. Babe Ruth was a fat dude and back then a lot of athletes were not as toned and muscular as today's competetive sports world, There is an ocean of difference between the physique of the baseball players from Babe's time and that of today's.

3. Basketballwise we all know where US internal domestic professional standard is and they do have tons of foreign players playing in the NBA leagues, like Yao Ming and many East European like former Yogoslavs - Croatians etc. And yes, those countries are pretty damn good in basketball as well when it comes to international games.

4. Soccerwise, in the US it is also predominantly considered a female sports like field hockey and popularitywise it still lingers mainly in the northeast corridor and California and mainly in clutches of neighbourhoods of foreign born demographics. But it IS indeed popular among young children upto a certain age in schools among both boys and girls. But professional adult soccerwise US is a main powerhouse for female soccer and we all know the records in both women WC and the Olympics and the legends that came out of the US like, Hamm, Faudy, Wambach, Solo etc. And yes, male soccer does not catch on here for some reason that I am not sure of as they tried to market it time to time but it seems to fail to attract the common mass public appeal. The idea and term of a sub-urban "soccer mom" comes mainly from a mother's driving her kids (boys or girls) to the match or practice after or between her work and soccer for males pretty much doesn't go any further after that boyhood age.

5. Cricketwise, it just won't work here, people don't know about and they just don't seem to care about it, cricket is mainly palyed and watched by the carribean and sub-continental immigrants in the US and no matter how hard the ICC or anyone else tries(like that scumbag thief Stanford) it just won't catch on here. They (the avg. Amreicans) see it as a bizzare English sport (but they think it's classy though and they tend to compare and classify cricket with Lacross, Crocket, Polo etc. colonial rich folk's country club kind of sports) that we watch and gently clap while having warm tea and cucumber sandwich (which also they rarely indulge in)!!

I don't see cricket ever being played here seriously by the mass Amreican society or them being really that interested in. They (Americans) still think and connect cricket with Sherlock Holmes/Conan Doyle/Agatha Cristie novelty thing in a Victorian crime novel or a movie.

Zeeshan
January 31, 2010, 02:08 AM
Top notch post bochada! ^

And good discussion guys, keep'em coming!

chol_bd123
February 1, 2010, 08:53 PM
If only there was more cricket in America my life ambition would have been to become a cricketer!