PDA

View Full Version : A quick question to all of you. Which team will you cheer during India Vs Pakistan test series in March?

Navarene
January 17, 2004, 12:17 PM
PS: I would love to see how many people from the board choose the third option.

May the best team win.

Nascer
January 17, 2004, 12:28 PM
[Edited on 6-11-2004 by Nascer]

oracle
January 17, 2004, 01:18 PM
I voted neutral . However, I have cheered Pakistan when Saeed Anwar was around. Also, whenever Rahul Dravid is playing I cheer India on. So I guess it boils down to individual players.:)

fab
January 18, 2004, 09:46 PM
For me it usually depends on the players too (as opposed to religious or political reasons). This time round I'll be going for India due to Tendulkar, Dravid, Laxman and yes, Ganguly. But then if the Pakis get thrashed badly, I'll probably end up going for them!

I find it very hard to remain neutral in any games.

[Edited on 20-1-2004 by fab : can't spell - haha neither can you, tehsin]

Tehsin
January 19, 2004, 12:04 PM
India is the favorites. If Wasim was playing, I would have gone for Pakistan. Yep, one of those - nuetral/can't stay nuetral for too long - fans.

acbizz
January 25, 2004, 07:20 PM
Of course India...

I think most of the ppl support specific countries besides their own becasue of the players. ...

Pakistan has no big player except Inzi,Shoaib....

and look at India the master batmen -tendulkar, the wall - Dravir, The Captain - Ganguly, Laxman, Shewag...what a batting lineup...

I want India to crush Pakis :cool:

[Edited on 26-1-2004 by acbizz]

muddaser
January 25, 2004, 07:58 PM
of course india are favourites but remember form doesnt mean anything when these two teams meet. i reckon pakistan will win the test series but lose the ODI series.

Navarene
January 28, 2004, 09:04 AM
Pakistan
-----------
Advantages:

1. Relatively getting more rest and time to prepare for the tour physically and mentally.

2. Series will be played in Pakistan.

3. New bowlers getting advice and coaching from retired bowlers.

4. Batsmen will be confident at home.

5. Reverse Swing.

6. Key players: Shoaib, Yousuf Yohana, Inzamam, Yaseer, Saqlain.

Disadvantages:

1. Batting can fail (not saying will fail).

2. If Sami doesn't bowl properly, Shoaib alone has to do it.

3. Even if everyone disagrees, I think they will have pressure that if they lose they have to bear extreme reactions from fans.

India
------

Advantages:

1. Batting line-up is very strong. Players have learnt to bat time instead of throwing wickets.

2. Till now they have handled the media and opposition remarks very well, not showing any panic or tension.

3. Bowling, though not top class, if the pitch is good for Kumble's bowling then he will be effective as Pak openers have never faced him and he has always been a dangerous bowlers to batsmen(from any country) who face him for the first time.

4. Key players: Sachin, Dravid, Laxman, Kumble, Zaheer.

Disadvantages:

1. They have less time comparatively, to prepare for the tour. After the long Aussie tour they will be physically and mentally drained. They will have less time to chalk out plans for the opposition team.

2. Crowd !!! If Indians come under pressure after some wickets fall then it will be difficult for them.

3. If they have security fear back of their minds while playing then they can't perform.

4. Sehwag tends to throw his wicket.

Nabz
January 28, 2004, 09:13 AM
i will go for india because they have extremely classy players that are truly great to watch. as can be seen by the way they are playing down under even though their top bowler is injured. the paki's just dont have a tendulkar, dravid or laxman.

Orpheus
January 28, 2004, 06:28 PM
because they will win. I don't like supporting losers unless it's Bangladesh.

oracle
January 28, 2004, 08:01 PM
because they will win. I don't like supporting losers unless it's Bangladesh.

we ain't losers!:)

Orpheus
January 29, 2004, 01:44 AM
Yes we are. Don't be in denial!

Sami
January 29, 2004, 10:06 AM
man I cant vote... what the hell is wrong???

Anyways... whatever is the count for india add one more....

if wasim, saeed anwar was there I wud have been supporting pakistan.... but I like several players from the indian team so it kinda comes down to india...

I really dont mind either of them wins... I wanna see a fight... like the fight between Prasad and Aamer sohail... now that was entertainment... yeah baby :D actually I think i might be able to see the matches.... I am sure the indy's on campus will buy intenet viewing rights... I better cheer them (India) if I want a good seat up front ;)

Nasif
February 4, 2004, 09:45 AM
When Bangladesh isn't playing I usually cheer for the side thats doing bad (at the moment I start watching). So I don't know. :D

Navarene
March 12, 2004, 04:54 PM
"46.3 Shoaib Akhtar to Tendulkar, GONE!! CLEAN BOWLED! middle-stump sent cartwheeling ..golden duck! Tendulkar only had time to lift his bat as the big swinging inducker smashed into his middle stump. You can't hit what you don't see!"

Is this gonna happen again in tomorrow's match? Or Tendu gonna simply hit Shoaib all the way to the boundary??

Big question...big match..big hype!

Still 6 hours to go before the first ball is bowled. So join the poll and cheer for your team, guys!

sheshprohor
March 12, 2004, 06:04 PM
I always love to support underdog....In this case Pak. I used to support pak all my life..but currently I am not a huge fan of them. specially what they (rashid latif) did against a weaker team like BD. Anyhow I will support Pak.

Prohor

oracle
March 12, 2004, 06:48 PM
I am slowly warming up to support Pakistan as a lot of exciting things are happening in that team. I also am curious to see Saqlain (if he plays), a long time fave of mine.
All in all, this is good for cricket, 2 of the best teams in the world.

But once the match starts I will probably lean towards India once my fave player gets going.

Rubu
March 12, 2004, 07:02 PM
i'm only interested in bd cricket. i used to watch, and clapped for anything good. good shot, good fielding or whater, regardless of the team. but its hard to enjoy a game if there is no support for a team. i'd choose india, mainly because i like ganguly and tendulkar.

billah
March 12, 2004, 10:31 PM
Have two questions for you gentlemen, that have participated in this discussion thus far:

1. Has any one of you sat through an India-Paki match at the Dhaka Stadium? Or, watched a televised match between the two sitting in Bangladesh?

2. If you answer Yes to the above question, what was your ovservation about the support India or Pakistan received at those occassions?

Just curious.

say
March 12, 2004, 10:34 PM
India, in this case. Just as I support Bangladesh no-matter-what, I support anyone playing against Pakistan.

Shubho
March 12, 2004, 10:46 PM
interesting question, billah.

it's quite sad, really. the last time i saw an india-pak match was in dhaka (97 or 98, i think).

the stadium was split in two camps. the sad part is that those who support either team, tend to go overboard, and act as if they are actually citizens of the country.

generally, when i see bengalis paint their faces in pakistan colours, waving pakistan flags, and chanting pakistani slogans, my head goes into a spin, and i feel like throwing up. pakistan has never done anything to deserve such adulation from us. No country has. In fact, pakistan has done quite the opposite (but i don't want to get into that).

as for india...well...how can bangladeshis, who are, after all, citizens of a sovereign nation, act like we're suddenly a part of Akhand Bharat? I do concede, however, that a lot of people side with india (when the opposition is pakistan) simply because they cannot (in their right minds) support pakistan.

at the bangabandhu stadium, that day in 97 (or was it 98), i failed to spot one spectator in the galleries who was cheering on either country in an appropriate manner. they all went gaga about their respective teams as if their lives depended on it. quite pathetic, really. just goes to show that a lot of us have a weird inferiority complex. on a personal note, i also feel that a lot us conveniently forget about history, and thereby disrespect those who fought and died to make our country free.

:flag: Bangladesh per semper!

billah
March 12, 2004, 11:13 PM
Thank you for your response, Shubho. Unfortunately, I have some strong, built-in anti-pakistani biases; some of it come from having close family involvement in our war of Independence. I have first hand experience of Pak atrocities in Bangladesh.

I however, have an observation very different than yours in these matches. I know the game you are referring to. I was there. I saw overwhelming support for Pakistan across the Dhaka Stadium. I observed the same scenario in Bangladesh in other games such as soccer & hockey involving Pakistan and other nations. I have seen the repeat of the same scenario in other parts of Bangladesh, not only in Dhaka. Today, I see the same thing, even in North America. When Pakistan is playing another nation, Bangladeshis root for Pakistan in overwhelming numbers. Saying it is otherwise, would simply be distortion of facts. I really wonder what that says about Bangladeshis as a whole.

Rubu
March 12, 2004, 11:51 PM
billah, here is something i'll try to explain. not sure i'm trying to explain it to me or to u. as u can see from by above post, i didn't choose pakistan. and it always surprised me to see how many pakistani supporters are there. friends, known people or whoever he is, i asked as many of them as possible this question "why did u support pakistan team", i really did. i should mention ahead of time that none of them were waving paki flag or using color, but a bit less than that, cheering to emty their lever. the most common answer i got was that, its really unpredictable to know what pakistan team will do, they can really curve the match at the last moment. and they like to watch that and finds really entertaining. most answers are like this, they like the crazyness of the team. yeah, no one said that it has anything to do with politics. i hope this is true, and they can really seperate cricket from politics. but again, how come they wave their flag, don't ask me. i really don't have any clue. washim akram created a good example of cricket when he said he'll help bowlers regardless of their nationality (namely india). i hope our fans are no more than that, too.

say
March 13, 2004, 12:05 AM
AgentSmith, I have the same experience. But one thing that I noticed recently - since India has become a good team in last 4/5 years, people in Bangladesh has started cheering for India (especially because Tendulkar and Ganguly). I believe about 70% people choose favorite teams by their performances.
However, I'm on the other 30% ;)

rafiq
March 13, 2004, 01:02 AM
I agree with say to some extent. Most people just pick exciting teams to root for, and both India and pakistan on their day are exciting to watch. I grew up in the gavaskar era rooting for india, but have since lost interest in "supporting" any team other than BD.

I think overwhelming support for either one is bordeline insane - this is very common in BD, refer to all those who routinely die after some Argentina-Brazil soccer clash. For a generally unatheletic nation of people, we sure are crazy over sport.

My guess would be more people would support Pakistan these days because that is where the pendulum has swung in the nation. At some point, if India stops being a bully, it may swing over again to the other side.

My guess is Bangladesh, cut away from both India and Pakistan, will remain torn between those countries for a few generations to come. Despite all the talk from the jatiotabadis, it will take more time for a true Bangladeshi identity, and it will be interesting to see what that identity is.

sage
March 13, 2004, 07:07 AM
I just cannot support Pakistan!! I just cannot. The day BD beat Pakistan in test series will be the happiest time for me. It is not to far away!!:)

AsifTheManRahman
March 13, 2004, 01:57 PM
India

betterdaz
March 13, 2004, 05:49 PM
i know a bit about their history (political and sporting) and know there is little love lost

but as "navarene" knows- i am a member of the bbc MB too and have been for a while - in 5 months i have learned only the negative characteristics of each side. and obviously that has been "taught" to me by the opposing fan.

i have watched both teams of late and honestly like the teams (as cricketers - i know little of their personalities) but i have been truly disappointed by their fans:-(

i used to support both teams - now , like a lot of you here - i support the players.

favorites in order - laxman, dravid, inzi kaneria and saqlain(cause i love spin), afridi (big hitting spinner) and moin, iīve also been increasingly impressed by ballaji.

i know half of them arenīt playing - and i havenīt chosen tendulker or akhtar (they have enough admirers without me) - but theyīre the reasons i still love watching these two teams