PDA

View Full Version : Bye bye number 1 India

Miraz
February 9, 2010, 04:44 AM
It was brief but entertaining especially when Sehwag was captaining in Bangladesh.

It was good to have a sub-continent team as the number 1 Test side of the world. I don't see it happening again anytime soon as the new boys of Indian middle order are no match to their ageing legends and their bowling strength is still indifferent.

I hope India will be number 1 again, but hopefully they will be little more polite when they achieve the status and keep it for longer time.

Bye bye for now.

Tintin
February 9, 2010, 05:49 AM
I am not sure if you mean it literally or figuratively. Re. the former, a loss in this series will remove India from the first place. If Kumble was around, we could prepare a spin-friendly wicket for the second Test and expect to defeat any team in the world. But Harbhajan & friends are likely to outbowled by spinners of most teams.

But if SA wins only 1-0, India will trail them by one point. SA then play a 3 Test series in WI in June. If they fail to win 3-0, they may slip to No.2 again (just guessing, did not do the maths)

_Rafi_
February 9, 2010, 06:16 AM
India's best test batrman Dravid was not there. SouthAfrica rightfully used this advantage.
<br />Posted via BC Mobile Edition

Rabz
February 9, 2010, 06:21 AM
If Kumble was around, we could prepare a spin-friendly wicket for the second Test and expect to defeat any team in the world.

Dude, you still living on that "if" "could" "but" world??
Let me give you one,

If Tamim could have scored a double hundred, IF Ash could have scored a Triple hundred, IF Mash could have played, IF all the other Bangladeshi players played better, IF Sakib could have taken another F-fifer, IF few more indian batsman was sent to hospital, then, we could have defeated the indians on the second test at Dhaka.

Oh, I love my if,could,would,but...

Bye bye No1.

Rabz
February 9, 2010, 06:23 AM
Rafi, do you mean that Dravid is the difference between india winning a test match and slumping to an innings defeat on 4th day at home soil???

That sounds like a struggling team like Bangladesh, not the 'supposedly' No 1 team in the world.

Nadim
February 9, 2010, 06:25 AM
hehe dredaful India

simon
February 9, 2010, 06:37 AM
I always had the same feeling as Ian Ch that India won't remain no°1 for long.
And as Sakib said I entirely agree that SA & Aus are better than InD.

zainab
February 9, 2010, 06:46 AM
If India draws the series, they will retain their No1 status. Now, I am pretty sure that SA will thrash the WI in June, so then they can be NO1. But all the equation comes down to which country India is playing against next, and try to win that series.

Tintin
February 9, 2010, 06:47 AM
Dude, you still living on that "if" "could" "but" world??

Read a little more between the lines and take a look at the context :mad: What I was saying there was that India is not yet dethroned as Miraz said, and will not lose the No.1 if they win the second Test match, but that a win is unlikely with the current team.

Tintin
February 9, 2010, 06:48 AM
And as Sakib said I entirely agree that SA & Aus are better than InD.

May be. Australia's record against India in their last six Tests is lost three, drew three. If India had the same record against Australia, I know what you would say :)

Tintin
February 9, 2010, 06:50 AM
But all the equation comes down to which country India is playing against next, and try to win that series.

Nobody. India's next series is in November.

Glad that SRT extended his lead a little bit more. Ponting will play lot more that Tendulkar in the next year.

Naimul_Hd
February 9, 2010, 07:01 AM
at least we did not lose by INNINGS in any of the test matches...but look at INDIA, being NO 1, they lost by INNINGS ! muhahahahahahahha !!

SA should thank BAngladesh for tearing up their batting line up and showing weakness of their bowling and batting !

auntu
February 9, 2010, 07:22 AM
Better luck next time.
One tips: Talk less work more.

magic boy
February 9, 2010, 08:11 AM
guys I'm seriously celebrating this memorable occasion with my brothers+friends in my room for such an outstanding performance by South Africa......cheers :D:fire:

BD-Shardul
February 9, 2010, 09:22 AM
Well, India nijerai khal kaita kumir asey:

This series was shoehorned into the calendar so that the No.1 ranking that was the reward for home success against Sri Lanka could be consolidated. Instead, India face the prospect of holding on to the mace for even less time than South Africa did in 2002 when Australia were the best team in the world by the width of the Indian Ocean.

kiriket
February 9, 2010, 10:15 AM
at least we did not lose by INNINGS in any of the test matches...but look at INDIA, being NO 1, they lost by INNINGS ! muhahahahahahahha !!

SA should thank BAngladesh for tearing up their batting line up and showing weakness of their bowling and batting !

I believe we hold most percentage of innings defeats out of total tests. We, as a country as well, talk and talk and pay little attention to what we are saying. like ৩০ লাখ শহীদ and so on.

dolcevita
February 9, 2010, 10:18 AM
Indian bowler except zaheer khan are ineffective
<br />Posted via BC Mobile Edition (iPhone)

Tigers_eye
February 9, 2010, 10:45 AM
Yes, the #1 is still India's to lose. They will lose it IF and only IF SA draws or wins the second test.

At Eden Garden funnier things have happened. Ask Steve Waugh. Laxman and Dravid should be back.

_Rafi_
February 9, 2010, 11:13 AM
Rafi, do you mean that Dravid is the difference between india winning a test match and slumping to an innings defeat on 4th day at home soil???
That sounds like a struggling team like Bangladesh, not the 'supposedly' No 1 team in the world.
With Dravid they could have avoided this shamefull innings defeat.

_Rafi_
February 9, 2010, 11:15 AM
Any one knows how many times in the history a no1 team suffered an innings defeat?

Tigers_eye
February 9, 2010, 11:39 AM
Any one knows how many times in the history a no1 team suffered an innings defeat?

Posted via BC Mobile Edition
I think Ashes Australia lost to England.

But for sure South Africa beat the #1 team then Australia by an Innings: Mar 19-22, 2009.

Aus 209 and 422, SA 651.

revolver
February 9, 2010, 12:01 PM
excelent performance by amla..indian bound to loose

magic boy
February 9, 2010, 12:58 PM
South Africa & Steyn should thank Shahadat for doing half of the job before the series....u kno wad i min :-p

_Rafi_
February 9, 2010, 02:52 PM
I think Ashes Australia lost to England.
But for sure South Africa beat the #1 team then Australia by an Innings: Mar 19-22, 2009.
Aus 209 and 422, SA 651.
thank T_E vai
SAf are too awesome. My second favourite team:)

zainab
February 9, 2010, 04:22 PM
I was thinking that Zaheer knew that only 7 runs was needed to avoid an innings defeat and yet he was continuing to slog, he and the other batsman had batted themselves in, and I am pretty sure if they had batted sensibly they could have avoided that innings defeat, very irresponsible of Zaheer.
I was thinking about Bangladesh, that inspite of collapsing, they avoided an innings defeat.
Well, let India knows how humiliating it is that the NO1 team lost by an innings and 7 runs.

simon
February 9, 2010, 05:55 PM
The only quality bowler Ind have is Zaheer.

AsifTheManRahman
February 9, 2010, 10:18 PM
I don't expect India to hold on to the #1 spot for too long. In my book, Australia is still #1 with South Africa and India coming in at second and third, but not necessarily in that order.

AsifTheManRahman
February 9, 2010, 10:19 PM
The only quality bowler Ind have is Zaheer.
Zaheer Khan is very hardworking. And it shows in his performance.

Tintin
February 10, 2010, 12:15 AM
I don't expect India to hold on to the #1 spot for too long. In my book, Australia is still #1 with South Africa and India coming in at second and third, but not necessarily in that order.

IMO, Australia has less of a claim than India and South Africa. In the last two years, they lost to all the three main contenders - SA at home, and India & England away, and won only against South Africa once. They wouldn't get away against the bigger teams the way the did against Pakistan at Sydney.

Tintin
February 10, 2010, 12:19 AM
Zaheer Khan is very hardworking. And it shows in his performance.

And you can turn to Harbhajan for the exact opposite of that :( He played for nine years on the weight of one good series against Australia and because Kumble was around to shield his shortcomings

bharat
February 10, 2010, 01:32 AM
South Africa & Steyn should thank Shahadat for doing half of the job before the series....u kno wad i min :-p

true that ..! India lost Dravid,Laxman,Sreeshant and Yuvaraj in one series ! BD should be given the Man of the Match :-)

SA played like true champions ..Indians didnnt play as a team at all !

For me ...Bajji has to go ! Ishant has to go back to the Domestic Tourneys.

simon
February 10, 2010, 03:10 AM
Ind are very good at coming back strongly after their early failure.
SA are the well known "chokers".
I'll say Sa may still win but not easily,or maybe there will be a draw.

Banglatiger84
February 10, 2010, 05:46 AM
true that ..! India lost Dravid,Laxman,Sreeshant and Yuvaraj in one series ! BD should be given the Man of the Match :-)

I dont think Sreesanth would have made any difference.

Also having the 3 batsmen would have led to them posting a higher total. However their bowling simply didnt look like it could take 20 South African wickets.

bharat
February 10, 2010, 11:55 AM
I dont think Sreesanth would have made any difference.

Also having the 3 batsmen would have led to them posting a higher total. However their bowling simply didnt look like it could take 20 South African wickets.

True , the Indian bowling didnt look like they could take 10 wickets leave alone 20 !!

A full Indian Team would have a good shot at drawing the game though .A couple of hundreds between these three would have saved the match.The loss of these three and Gambhir's failure in both the innings simply sealed the match. India's recent wins are due to the daunting top order , any chink in the top order and we are done !

_Rafi_
February 10, 2010, 12:11 PM
Harbhajan offform is hurting India. Normally Harbhajan plays big role to win a test in India.

Equinox
February 11, 2010, 03:44 AM
It doesn't look good for India. Their batting got exposed without Dravid and Laxman. And those two plus Tendu are on the verge of retirement. Without their batting they are nothing. Zaheer carries all of the bowling weight on his shoulders. And IMO he is an above-average bowler, as ATMR said he is a hard-worker but he can't destroy the top teams, not every team will gift him with 7 wickets in an innings. Bhajji is off-form (I don't think he will return back to his old form, even the Indian fans are convinced) and the replacements Mishra and Ojha are not convincing enough. Plus add to that their weak fielding and problems in the team. Bye Bye Number 1 India indeed.

BD-Shardul
February 12, 2010, 07:32 PM
http://static.cricinfo.com/db/PICTURES/CMS/113900/113946.3.jpg

al-Sagar
February 13, 2010, 01:17 AM
so BD played a good role in the fall of the no 1 india.

well they need to find the replacements of the big batsmen like sachin, dravid, laxman, ganguly. yuvraj is been tried as gangulys replacement. they need to quickly give the sharma, raina, kohli, vijays the go in the team and settle their places. openers are not a problem and also at no 7 there will be dhoni.

bowlers.... always a problem for india

Eshen
February 13, 2010, 02:07 PM
Drama over Eden Garden -
In a sensational disclosure, a Bengali daily on Saturday claimed that the Indian team sent Sachin Tendulkar with a request to Eden Gardens curator Prabir Mukherjee that he should shave the grass off the pitch for the second cricket Test between India and South Africa, starting Sunday, but it was politely turned down.

Bengal daily Aajkaal reported that Tendulkar approached Mukherjee with the request Friday only to be told by the octogenearian: "You are Sachin Tendulkar and the quality of your batting will not be affected whether there is grass on the wicket or not."

Tendulkar then replied that he had come to speak to him on behalf of the team management. "It will be better if the grass is removed".

However, Mukherjee reportedly told Tendulkar to focus on practice and tell his teammates that they should not worry so much about the grass.

http://www.hindustantimes.com/News-Feed/cricketnews/Speculation-over-Tendulkar-meeting-Eden-curator/Article1-508486.aspx

Eshen
February 13, 2010, 05:31 PM
Here is the Aajkaal report - http://www.aajkaal.net/report.php?hidd_report_id=123239

BCB should hire this fellow as our curator :lol:

nahaz
February 13, 2010, 08:12 PM
... We, as a country as well, talk and talk and pay little attention to what we are saying. like ৩০ লাখ শহীদ and so on.

What are you trying to say regarding 1971? Don't you want the Rajakars to be hung by their balls?

Baundule
February 14, 2010, 06:30 AM
India were rightly placed to be the #1 team. They were performing well and at the same time Aus and SA (lost to Eng) were going downwards. As much as I do not like some of the Indian's boastful attitude, it is not quite unexpected though. Cricket is the only sport, where India can match the bests in the world and becoming is #1 is some terrific achievement.

For us, we should better concentrate on ourselves. Our coach calculated that we were going to win the ODI series against NZ, only because we scored 250+ against the #1 team in our own backyard.

Tigers_eye
February 14, 2010, 10:07 AM
And if they win this (Kolkata) test, which they have a great chance to, they will remain #1. That is why this thread was premature.

Ajfar
February 14, 2010, 10:22 AM
And if they win this (Kolkata) test, which they have a great chance to, they will remain #1. That is why this thread was premature.

yup we might have jinxed SA

kiriket
February 14, 2010, 10:45 AM
What are you trying to say regarding 1971? Don't you want the Rajakars to be hung by their balls?

you may not know the story with ৩০ লাখ শহীদ then. See, we have everylist, list of freedom fighters, list of Razakaars, but we don't have list of martyrs in 1971. We will never have.

Anyways lets not bring it here.

auntu
February 14, 2010, 10:59 AM
you may not know the story with ৩০ লাখ শহীদ then. See, we have everylist, list of freedom fighters, list of Razakaars, but we don't have list of martyrs in 1971. We will never have.

Anyways lets not bring it here.
That is not possible at all. Do you have any idea how many unnamed persons died or lost or there is no one to even put their name on the list?

Sorry off topic.

al-Sagar
February 15, 2010, 03:14 AM
india back on track....

sachin and sehwag doing well..... but still a long way to go.

but with laxman (the eden garden legend), badrinath and dhoni to follow they can put up a good total.

and then u all kmow eden garden will later help the spinners and bhajji and mishra are dangerous spinners

Raynman
February 16, 2010, 10:17 AM
hmmm, innings defeat and then the other team is 200+ for 1 with Kallis/DeVillers yet to bat. Too bad India doesn't have the qualities of a number 1 team to fight back ;)

al-Sagar
February 16, 2010, 11:00 AM
hmmm, innings defeat and then the other team is 200+ for 1 with Kallis/DeVillers yet to bat. Too bad India doesn't have the qualities of a number 1 team to fight back ;)

i think u haven't watch how the game turned.... the 3rd day has finished but u have posted what was before tea in day 1.

SA was 218/1 the india bounce back and SA were allout for 296

4 indians made century as india posted 637/6d and now lead by 347, SA 6/0 in 2nd innings

Tigers_eye
February 16, 2010, 01:51 PM
i think u haven't watch how the game turned.... the 3rd day has finished but u have posted what was before tea in day 1.

SA was 218/1 the india bounce back and SA were allout for 296

4 indians made century as india posted 637/6d and now lead by 347, SA 6/0 in 2nd innings
And you missed the smiley!! :) Sarc 202 for you.

_Rafi_
February 16, 2010, 03:16 PM
Dhoni is the most mentally tough cricketer of the world. He will be certainly one of the most successfull captains of cricket history. It will be interesting how he will lead his side after the retirement of big trio.

Raynman
February 16, 2010, 04:14 PM
Dhoni is the most mentally tough cricketer of the world. He will be certainly one of the most successfull captains of cricket history. It will be interesting how he will lead his side after the retirement of big trio.

I don't recall any other captain post Imran Khan that has the captaincy ability Dhoni does. He's great with the media, can keep great players/egos in check, working well with many past captains in the team.

The results speak for themselves I guess. A T20 championship, The number 1 test ranking with only one blemish and the number 1 batsman in ODIs (till Hussey recently).

arsenalsri
February 18, 2010, 06:03 AM
THREAD FAIL.. Never count your chickens before they hatch

:joy::joy::joy::joy::joy:

Neel Here
February 18, 2010, 06:16 AM
It was brief but entertaining especially when Sehwag was captaining in Bangladesh.

It was good to have a sub-continent team as the number 1 Test side of the world. I don't see it happening again anytime soon as the new boys of Indian middle order are no match to their ageing legends and their bowling strength is still indifferent.

I hope India will be number 1 again, but hopefully they will be little more polite when they achieve the status and keep it for longer time.

Bye bye for now.

:smug:

Surfer
February 18, 2010, 06:55 AM
Yes, we retain the no1position. Take that.

Beduin
February 18, 2010, 07:30 AM
:smug:

Dada, darun to smiley-ta. :-D

Naimul_Hd
February 18, 2010, 07:34 AM
so, umpire gave LBW in the last overs....what can we expect while playing in INDIA ! huh !

Naimul_Hd
February 18, 2010, 07:36 AM
man....crapinfo men were gone mad !! how biased they can be while covering up a match !! bravo !!

Beduin
February 18, 2010, 07:47 AM
so, umpire gave LBW in the last overs....what can we expect while playing in INDIA ! huh !

Was the umpire Indian? Or, was he bribed? Or, is it ok to defend the ball with your pad in front of wicket in final years? Don't be blind in India-bashing spree:sick:

Ganesh
February 18, 2010, 08:14 AM

Batsman was trapped in front. But hey, why let facts come in the way of blind hatred. It is cricinfo's fault. It is umpires fault. It in India's fault. Never your fault even though you won't get facts right or cannot stand facts.

Banglatiger84
February 18, 2010, 08:20 AM

The way Harbhajan jumps up and down with that unearthly yell, most umpires will give the lbw rather than listen to him.

Banglatiger84
February 18, 2010, 08:21 AM
Rankings aside, South africa were India's equal in a series played in India. So there is no way India can be considered any better than South Africa.

Ganesh
February 18, 2010, 08:26 AM
Rankings aside, South africa were India's equal in a series played in India. So there is no way India can be considered any better than South Africa.

The gap in ratings is just couple of points at any rate. And India didn't have Dravid. SA played their full strength.

Banglatiger84
February 18, 2010, 08:38 AM
The gap in ratings is just couple of points at any rate. And India didn't have Dravid. SA played their full strength.

And the matches were played in India. I would guess home advantage is a bigger advantage than Dravid.

Ganesh
February 18, 2010, 08:47 AM
And the matches were played in India. I would guess home advantage is a bigger advantage than Dravid.

OK. What about loss of Laxman in T1 which they won? That tilts the advantage in favor of SA. The gap as I said is not big, even if SA managed to win the series, they would not have been be firmly ahead. It is not like we have Aus of late 90s and early 2000s out here. SA for instance didn't win the last home series against England. SA lost at Durban by an innings, even while playing full strength. I guess, the ranking numbers are reflective of team's relative achievements over the last few years.

Tintin
February 18, 2010, 10:42 AM

Congrats to SA for drawing the series with the No.1 team :)

Zunaid
February 18, 2010, 10:47 AM
Congrats to SA for drawing the series with the No.1 team :)

pwnage.

MysoreHuli
February 18, 2010, 10:39 PM
This thread is a big FAILURE

tonoy
February 19, 2010, 04:45 AM
This indeed is a major pwnage. One thing that is clear from all this is that India does posses one formidable batting line up.

Huda
February 19, 2010, 04:24 PM
http://s3.amazonaws.com/readers/2009/07/22/eggonface_1.jpgMiraz..................

hahah

Inferno
February 20, 2010, 03:02 AM

Bye bye for now.

Miraz, dont count on your chickens when the next match to be played was at Eden Gardens :-p , Ask one Mr. Steve Waugh!

About your politeness:
Sehwag is a cool guy, dont take his comments so seriously, he says what he believes not that diplomatic kind of captain you know, so dil pe maat le yaar!! :D

Miraz
February 20, 2010, 03:49 AM
Congrats to India for retaining the number 1 spot. There is nothing wrong in this thread. After Test 1, South Africa was number 1 according to ranking calculation, but the official ranking is published only after the end of the series and India regained number 1 spot by winning the 2nd Test in Kolkata.

I have to admit India really surprised me. They managed to win the Test despite the 2nd innings absence of their best bowler which is amazing achievement.

I expected more politeness from India, players are talking sensibly, but the fans are not. :)

And Inferno, I hope one you will fill the boots of Bangladeshi fans (may be India will slid down for a brief period of time) and try to understand the feeling when someone from the opponent talks rubbish about your country.

Ganesh
February 20, 2010, 09:55 AM
And Inferno, I hope one you will fill the boots of Bangladeshi fans (may be India will slid down for a brief period of time) and try to understand the feeling when someone from the opponent talks rubbish about your country.

Some captains would say, "We won't take Bangladesh lightly, they can surprise us etc. etc.", others will speak like Sehwag. You got to live with it. Come to think of it, there is no difference between saying "We won't take them lightly" and saying "They are an ordinary side". I can argue that the first remark is dishonest and tad condescending even though it appears to be polite and second it more honest. You won't make either of these comments against Australia/SA or for that matter against SL or NZ or Eng or Pak. You will make those comments against a side either against minnows or against an otherwise good side which has put up some ordinary performances in the recent past.

Solution to the problem is performing. Only that will shut up the detractors. Take for instance Ian Chappell's remark that India is not long term #1. That is arguably the truth. Only way Indians can shut up the detractors is retaining the #1 spot. They have remained #1 for 1 season. If they can retain the spot till the end of next season, then they might have done some justice to the spot. If not Chappell would be spot on. Next 2-3 series are going to be key.

socrates
February 20, 2010, 10:41 AM
and try to understand the feeling when someone from the opponent talks rubbish about your country.

Sehwag talked about the Bangladesh Team and not the country.Collingwood talked about the country.Did you feel the same outrage when he did so?Or the Bangladesh Cricket team and Bangladesh are the same for you?That makes a passionate supporter,but not a reasonable one.

If Sehwag was talking about the talent in the Bangladesh team,I don't agree with him.They are very talented,especially the current bunch.But if he was talking about the results,then yes,I do agree.
I supported Bangladesh for Day 1 of that test,after he made those remarks.Not because there was no truth in what he said,but because he had stirred the pride of the Bangladesh team,and I expected them to be hurt and give their everything on the field.

Surfer
February 21, 2010, 12:18 AM
Some captains would say, "We won't take Bangladesh lightly, they can surprise us etc. etc.", others will speak like Sehwag. You got to live with it. Come to think of it, there is no difference between saying "We won't take them lightly" and saying "They are an ordinary side". I can argue that the first remark is dishonest and tad condescending even though it appears to be polite and second it more honest. You won't make either of these comments against Australia/SA or for that matter against SL or NZ or Eng or Pak. You will make those comments against a side either against minnows or against an otherwise good side which has put up some ordinary performances in the recent past.

Solution to the problem is performing. Only that will shut up the detractors. Take for instance Ian Chappell's remark that India is not long term #1. That is arguably the truth. Only way Indians can shut up the detractors is retaining the #1 spot. They have remained #1 for 1 season. If they can retain the spot till the end of next season, then they might have done some justice to the spot. If not Chappell would be spot on. Next 2-3 series are going to be key.

A very good post Ganesh.

aventis
January 26, 2011, 02:04 PM
bumpy BUMP

It's been a year and India is still holding that No 1. tag.

England's meteoric RISE and similar DECLINE for Aussies were the highlights of 2010.

IMO,Current rankings are
1.India
2.England
3.South-Africa
4.Australia

What are your views ?

sir john
January 27, 2011, 12:43 AM
what a big fail thread

hahahahahahaha

:-D:-D:-D:-D:-D

Surfer
January 27, 2011, 02:53 AM
And we are still sitting at the number one position safely glued to it. The title is on the line for any team who might fancy it. Come, out perform us and take it away if you have it in you.