PDA

View Full Version : Dravid defended ball tampering

chinaman
January 21, 2004, 12:27 PM
India coach John Wright and captain Saurav Ganguly have leapt to Rahul Dravid's defence after the player was fined half his match fee for ball tampering in Tuesday's triangular one-day series win over Zimbabwe.

"ICC (International Cricket Council) match referee Clive Lloyd found Dravid guilty of a Level 2 offence and imposed a Level 2 penalty (of) 50 percent of his match fee for a breach of the code of conduct," Cricket Australia (CA) said in a statement released on Wednesday.

The team's vice-captain was charged under clause 2.10 of the code of conduct which refers to changing the condition of the ball during the match at the Gabba ground in Brisbane.

"Dravid attended a hearing after the match and was subsequently informed of the penalty," CA said.

Close-up television footage during the match had shown an Indian player rubbing a cough lozenge on the ball.

INNOCENT MISTAKE

"It was an innocent mistake," India coach Wright told reporters.

"He was applying saliva to the ball and what happened was the saliva was coloured with that sweet and he wiped it off because he knew immediately that it was only supposed to be saliva or perspiration.

"Rahul knew it straight away and that's why you could see he tried to wipe it clean. It's a silly thing but that's exactly how it happened."

Dravid said he was prohibited from commenting about the incident.

Wright added: "He's everything that the game needs. It was one of those things that happens, it's not as though he applied anything consciously to the cricket ball."

Ganguly said: "(It was) just an accident."

India won the day-night match by 24 runs after Dravid had top-scored with 84 in their total of 255 for six.

Ganguly's side, who have 17 points after three wins from four matches, will play series leaders Australia (18) in Sydney on Thursday.

Source (http://www.reuters.co.uk/newsArticle.jhtml;jsessionid=2MLVLKGD3K4KCCRBAEOCF FA?type=cricketNews&storyID=4172573&section=news)

chinaman
January 21, 2004, 12:30 PM
http://eur.news1.yimg.com/eur.yimg.com/xp/ap_photo/20040121/all/l1025729.jpg

Wednesday January 21, 05:29 AM
India's vice-captain Rahul Dravid, right, is confronted by the media as he arrives at Sydney airport, Wednesday, Jan. 21, 2004. Dravid was fined half his match fee for ball tampering, after television cameras showed him rubbing the game ball with an energy candy during Tuesday's one-day cricket match against Zimbabwe in Brisbane. (AP Photo/Dan Peled)

Navarene
January 21, 2004, 12:54 PM
Lloyd - "Mr Dravid, You have been caught red-handed on TV while tampering with the ball. What's your defence?"
Ganguly - "Ball Tampering, Eh?"

Lloyd - "Well, technically, it is the ball tampering. You should know that rubbing saliva is different from rubbing saliva that has a sweet jell in it. Whether it's an edge between the slips, or a classic cover-drive, the result is the same, a four"

Ganguly puzzled.

Dravid - "Well Sir, i was merely try to shine the ball with my spit. At the same time, i realised that it had some traces of sweet jello which i had kept in my mouth. Knowing that this is not allowed according to the rules, i just wiped it off and handed the ball to teh bowler"

Lloyd - "I understand. But you see, it still is a ball-tampering. I mean, the TV cameras caught you RED-handed"

Ganguly - "Well, the hand was red due to the sweet jelly"

Lloyd - "It still would be RED-handded, isn't it. I mean, Whether it's an edge between the slips, or a classic cover-drive, a four i a four, isn't it?"

Ganguly - "As we can all see, it was a honest mistake"

Lloyd - "I agree. But you see, whether honest or dishonest, a mistake is a mistake, isn't it?. Whether it's an edge between the slips, or a classic cover-drive, a four ......"

Ganguly - "Well Sir, the whole pitch was repaired on the final day of the test against the rule, and all the match referee had to say was it was an honest mistake"

Lloyd - "You see, a four by ponting is not the same as a four by Sachin, isn't it?"

Both Dravid and Ganguly puzzled. Then enlightened.

Ganguly - "Well Sir, all i would say is, Dravid has been the most sporting cricketer, to the extent of walking away at the faintest of edge that an umpire would never hear. That shows his integrity. I think we should leave all this at that"

Lloyd - "I agree. But you see, technically it is a mistake. Whether he is a cheat or a person with integrity is immaterial. Afterall,Whether it's an edge between the slips, or a classic cover-drive, a four ......"

Ganguly and Dravid shut their ears.

Lloyd - "Also, a four by Sachin is not the same as a four by ponting ..... "

Ganguly and Dravid wish the torture would end.

Lloyd - "Ball-tampering is teh severest of crime, and you must be punished to the maximum that is allowed in this category of tampering"

Ganguly "Tampering?".

Lloyd - "Yes. As you see, Whether it's an edge between the slips, or a classic cover-drive, a four ......"

Dravid and Ganguly scream out of the room.

P.S. I did not make it up. I found it on the net. funny, eh?

Mahmood
January 21, 2004, 01:28 PM
Brilliant!

chinaman
January 21, 2004, 01:34 PM
Yuh huh. That's a classy thick edge by Lloyd to point with a Vivian style.

fab
January 21, 2004, 10:54 PM
"He was applying saliva to the ball and what happened was the saliva was coloured with that sweet and he wiped it off because he knew immediately that it was only supposed to be saliva or perspiration."
He was trying to rub off the coloured saliva with his lozenge? Wierd. I hope he didn't put it back in his mouth. :duh:

reinausagi
January 22, 2004, 01:51 AM
Note to BD management, ALL LOGENGES CONSUMED BY BD PLAYERS ARE TO BE 'CLEAR' IN RESIDUAL COLOR........:lol:

Kalbaisakhi
January 22, 2004, 04:35 AM
I believe that he is not that kind of player.May be something wrong with the ball.

So he have to do that.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: