PDA

View Full Version : The slow train to Chittagong-Andrew McGlashan

FaHiMa
March 3, 2010, 01:35 PM
http://blogs.cricinfo.com/tourdiaries/archives/2010/03/the_slow_train.php

--tour diary by Andrew Miller. :)

magic boy
March 3, 2010, 02:12 PM
good details on the journey ...nice reading =)

Nafis 1718
March 3, 2010, 02:37 PM
brilliant...
<br />Posted via BC Mobile Edition

RazabQ
March 3, 2010, 02:40 PM
Good read. Nice to see my Nana bari (Brahmanbaria) mentioned.

Ananna
March 3, 2010, 02:47 PM
Look at the cow/calf. Why it is so skinny?

Roni_uk
March 3, 2010, 02:58 PM
good stuff

FaHiMa
March 3, 2010, 03:02 PM

lol i was wondering that too. owners dont take care of it ?

SS
March 3, 2010, 03:25 PM
http://www.cricinfo.com/db/PICTURES/CMS/114800/114897.jpg

Goru ta re deika maya hoitase...amra koto arame thaki...I wonder what was Photographer's intent when he or she took the picture to appreciate our "beauty"

Dhakablues
March 3, 2010, 03:30 PM
These days having bones showing is actually a beauty statement... not sure whether that applies to Cows or not, though.. But man that is a beautiful house with Pukur, Kolagach, Cow, Paddy field.. (no comments on the Red Sari)

betaar
March 3, 2010, 04:00 PM
lol i was wondering that too. owners dont take care of it ?

Wait till you see the owner.....

Every thing back home is skinny.....stray dogs, cats, cows and obviously the population......it's the heat.

I remember when I first came to US I was a wopping 140 lbs with 6ft height.....I could beat any skinny super model. :-) And now I struggle to stay below 175-180 lbs.

Miraz
March 3, 2010, 04:11 PM
I am sure they could have posted a better picture to represent rural Bangladesh seen from the train. Western media like to portray Bangladesh in a particular way and the photograph with the article is no exception.

Sorry! Can't appreciate.

SS
March 3, 2010, 04:15 PM
I am sure they could have posted a better picture to represent rural Bangladesh seen from the train. Western media like to portrait Bangladesh in a particular way and the photograph with the article is no exception.

Sorry! Can't appreciate.

Agree with Doc...no matter how we try we always gets portraited like that...today I got my review ...did all the hard work still didn't meet their expectations...curse of the color...

NKVD
March 3, 2010, 04:25 PM
What was that comment about skirt and tethered goat ?

AsifTheManRahman
March 3, 2010, 04:25 PM
Certainly not mejban material.

NKVD
March 3, 2010, 04:29 PM
I am sure they could have posted a better picture to represent rural Bangladesh seen from the train. Western media like to portray Bangladesh in a particular way and the photograph with the article is no exception.

Sorry! Can't appreciate.

I join you in my lack of appreciation.

The English are peculiar people...to inconsistent with there attitude.

But then again, he's lucky he was put on that "slow" train. A fast one would God forbid, plunge him into the bay.

Fazal
March 3, 2010, 04:31 PM
Goru ta re deika maya hoitase...amra koto arame thaki...I wonder what was Photographer's intent when he or she took the picture to appreciate our "beauty"

eta Goru na eta Bagh....khadder ovabe.....

Eshen
March 3, 2010, 04:47 PM
Miller is way too concerned about the financial condition of Bangladesh than a sports journalist should be.

Is he suggesting Harmison's homesickness developed because of his experience in Bangladesh?! That's as ridiculous as it gets!

NKVD
March 3, 2010, 04:59 PM
Miller is way too concerned about the financial condition of Bangladesh than a sports journalist should be.

Is he suggesting Harmison's homesickness developed because of his experience in Bangladesh?! That's as ridiculous as it gets!

Yes...English writers have always been like this. No one wants to know about his (faulty) knowledge base outside of cricket.

Besides...his mother country's economic fortunes were for too long inversly tied to that of Bangladesh and the likes, for reasons too obvious for him to overlook or forget.

Orpheus
March 3, 2010, 06:07 PM
I think Miller is a very good writer. He writes the way he sees it... and I like that. his writing shows he is very much involved in following Bangladesh cricket.

this may not be his best article but I usually enjoy reading them.

FaHiMa
March 3, 2010, 06:20 PM
Wait till you see the owner.....

Every thing back home is skinny.....stray dogs, cats, cows and obviously the population......it's the heat.

I remember when I first came to US I was a wopping 140 lbs with 6ft height.....I could beat any skinny super model. :-) And now I struggle to stay below 175-180 lbs.

:o your really 6 ft tall ??

NKVD
March 3, 2010, 06:29 PM
I think Miller is a very good writer. He writes the way he sees it... and I like that. his writing shows he is very much involved in following Bangladesh cricket.

this may not be his best article but I usually enjoy reading them.

True Orpheus.

And he did sorta slip back to his true self here.

This is the 21st century, and writing, despite the necessity to be full of candor, also requires a touch of sensitivity.

BD sucks at everything, we know that. But I for one don't want that to be said straight in my face.

That's just me.

Eshen
March 3, 2010, 06:52 PM
Does anyone here listen to Switch hit?

Miller commented that Australia played poorly Fatullah because they were in a culture shock!

This guy is too high nosed for me to appreciate any of his writing.

makorsha
March 3, 2010, 07:40 PM
Nice read, Andrew's other post about the journey to Sher e Bangla stadium showed about the progress..
you know why the Barmi Army didn't follow the English team this year...
We got frustrated going to Mirpur being a Bangladeshi (as it took us 3 hours...)
the outer stadium was like a desert with bamboos all over.
I wonder what they are going to do in the world cup.
The VIP entrance is really wide and good and the vip box house is exceptional...
I guess no one from BCB ever set foot around the other part of the stadium...
forget about accommodation and transportation for the foreigners....
Good luck BCB, good luck Bangladesh!!!

makorsha
March 3, 2010, 07:45 PM

Miller commented that Australia played poorly Fatullah because they were in a culture shock!

he is not at all..he is more tolerant and he back packed all over Africa..
Dude smell the coffee go to the stadium for yourself..you will bein culture shock....
people urinate from top of the stadium..
I went to the new Mirpur Stadium(Both corporate box and regular vip gallery)
other than the box restroom, the regular restrooms are horrible...
BCB acts like they never been to any other country...
They dont allow water to be sold in the stadium because Pepsi does not allow.

what are these people going to do????
Please change your mind set take the criticism and fix it for better ..

capslock
March 3, 2010, 07:46 PM
Er, it's Andrew MCGLASHAN, not Andrew Miller.

Murad
March 3, 2010, 07:49 PM
Its seems like an insult to goribi bangladesh.

Eshen
March 3, 2010, 07:55 PM
Damn! Disregard my comment then!

FagunerAgun
March 3, 2010, 08:10 PM
That is my home town!
mumur bari's nam ki, kuthai?

FagunerAgun
March 3, 2010, 08:13 PM
Good, that is why this goru went through so many Kurbani Eids.:-D
He took the picture to compare the madness of Dhaka with the tranquility of a village, away from Dhaka.

kalpurush
March 3, 2010, 08:19 PM
Sorry! I don't know what had happened! Mods, please delete the above post. Can't delete the post!!

Much thanks :)

uss01
March 3, 2010, 09:04 PM
True. They never talk about the poverty in India when they tour there. In his earlier post about Dhaka Miller pointed out about the traffic and poverty of Bangladesh, which is old news anyway. Plus traffic problems like that in Dhaka is common in any major city/commercial center in a developing country. Not to mention the government in Bangladesh is trying to tackle this problem (although at a snail's pace with some ineffective measures i.e. different holiday schedules for different parts of the city).

Sorry! Can't appreciate.

Ajfar
March 3, 2010, 09:08 PM
I didn't bother to read the whole article but the picture really got me mad. He could have found a much much better picture to represent rural Bangladesh.

Zunaid
March 3, 2010, 09:09 PM
The article was written by Andrew McGlashan

Andrew Miller may not be Robin Marlar but he has been very supportive of BD Cricket and in fact is also a member here at BC.

FaHiMa
March 3, 2010, 09:22 PM

Andrew Miller may not be Robin Marlar but he has been very supportive of BD Cricket and in fact is also a member here at BC.

LOL yeah i realized that the second after i created the thread. i clicked it off of Andrew Miller's twitter post section in cricinfo in the corner. :-D

Beamer
March 3, 2010, 09:34 PM
Who told them to take the train? They could have taken a flight like normal touring sides.

Zeeshan
March 3, 2010, 09:36 PM
Who told them to take the train? They could have taken a flight like normal touring sides.

Who can resist the cutlet that serves in the train? Gawd...that is making my mouth all wet. Train journey pwns boring plane trip.

NKVD
March 3, 2010, 10:17 PM

Robin Marlar - yes, that's the name I was trying to remember.

When he passed on...it was synonymous with Eddie Barlow. A lot of shok in the BD cricket establishment.

Getting back to the Scott McGlashan - welcome to bangladesh. This is as exciting as your life will ever get, and has been, ever since Mel Gibson strut out in his skirt to fight the Limm...dare I...the English.

NKVD
March 3, 2010, 10:19 PM

They have plans to recolonize Planet Bangladesh. This new breed of East India Company is just re-acclimitizing.

Just kiddin.

Ajfar
March 3, 2010, 11:17 PM
Train journey pwns boring plane trip.

yes it does. when i was younger, I used to wish my family lived on a train.

al-Sagar
March 3, 2010, 11:50 PM
let the writer have a bus trip by a non A/C Hanif Enterprize. they tend to drive the roughest and fastest in dhaka ctg highway.

though some of soudia s.alam's mercedez-benz or green line MAN are faster, though you cant realize the difference when u are in an A/C bus

One World
March 3, 2010, 11:54 PM

Thanks for pointing this out.

mona
March 4, 2010, 04:49 AM
Sorry, how do you know it's by Andrew McGlashan? All I can see is that it's posted by Andrew Miller and that Andrew Miller copyrighted the picture. Also, Miller mentioned the goat eating the skirt thing on his twitter. Lol, Miller's twitter led me to some other English media people currently in BD for the tour. Some Englishmen are so... English.

Sohel
March 4, 2010, 04:51 AM

Best pit'has in the world, but not the biggest fan of chhanamukhi. Excellent shitol shuntki.

mona
March 4, 2010, 05:02 AM
Best pit'has in the world, but not the biggest fan of chhanamukhi. Excellent shitol shuntki.

Oh yes! Nice to see my dadar (and nanar) bari mentioned, Comilla. Certainly has the best roshmalai in the country, and excellence in ranna-bari in general.

Orpheus
March 4, 2010, 05:12 AM
yet another BC thread ends up being about food.

1RParker
March 4, 2010, 05:55 AM
This article is by Andrew Miller - it was just originally "posted" on the blog site by that other bloke Andrew McGlashan.

We Bengalis all know about the wonderful village countryside - So many comments here -why not comment on the actual blog page itself so that your message might reach an audience wider than BD fans!

1RParker
March 4, 2010, 05:58 AM
also - Generally, the English (including Andrew Miller) have been very supportive towards BD cricket - unlike our other south asian neighbours. give the guy a break.

FaHiMa
March 4, 2010, 03:56 PM
Oh yes! Nice to see my dadar (and nanar) bari mentioned, Comilla. Certainly has the best roshmalai in the country, and excellence in ranna-bari in general.

oh man ...cant get enough of roshmalai ! i use to have some everyday [when i was younger]-- never missed a day!

FaHiMa
March 4, 2010, 03:57 PM
This article is by Andrew Miller - it was just originally "posted" on the blog site by that other bloke Andrew McGlashan.

We Bengalis all know about the wonderful village countryside - So many comments here -why not comment on the actual blog page itself so that your message might reach an audience wider than BD fans!

thank you !!! i thought it was by him! SO ANDREW MILLER IT IS!

ahms
March 4, 2010, 06:42 PM
It is a copy right picture.

Andrewwisden
March 14, 2010, 05:07 AM
Hello banglacricket. Yes, I wrote that diary piece, and yes I took the picture as well. And yes, I do love Bangladeshi culture, countryside and cricket, and I don't really mind the Dhaka traffic that much. And, yes, I am amused by skirt-eating goats. Sorry, but that was just plain funny, in any culture.

I am most amused, however, by quite how many of the complainers above live in North America and London! If you object to some of the home truths I occasionally point out in my articles, why is it you aren't still at home yourselves?

All the best, as ever
Andrew Miller

WarWolf
March 14, 2010, 05:15 AM
Hello Andrew
It's nice to see you there. It's always refreshing reading your articles. The last one was not any exception.

Hope to see you here more regularly.

cricman
March 14, 2010, 05:19 AM
The Test Match is really a riveting contest at the moment, why are you posting when the Test is nearing it's climax.

Enjoyed all your articles on the tour so far and thank you for giving us Updates during the 3 day match

godzilla
March 14, 2010, 05:23 AM

Culture shock? is he kidding himself? Not like India, Pakistan or Srilanka is very different then how our culture is and how the country works and they have visited each one of them plenty of times. That is just a bunch of B.S.