PDA

View Full Version : Defend Shafiul

Bruno
March 4, 2010, 12:30 AM
Now I dont really know how or why most of you seem to give Shafiul a pass on everything. Seems like he got a lot of fans for all the wrong reasons. So this is your chance to set the record straight.

Defend this player. Statistically, action wise, potential, whatever you feel gives him a pass...bring it up.

......Cuz I can tell you right now, I think this guy is junk..i mean dolar mahmud junk.

But if you disagree, tell us so...

HereWeGo
March 4, 2010, 12:38 AM
Did u ever see him play? He is an amazing bowler.... Bowls close to 140-145 consistantly. Have more variation in his armory than any fast bowler bangladesh ever produced. Also he is improving every match....

Dolar is a piece of junk...I said that before too and people ridiculed me because he ended up taking 4 wickets the very next game against Zimbabwe....But I will stick to my original interpretation of dolar...

Zeeshan
March 4, 2010, 12:44 AM
I don't like him either. May be I haven't probed too much into FC stats and got all excited from them but I don't see any "Whoa!" factor in him like Rubel. Admittedly, I wasn't a big fan of Rubel either but his pace and his quick learning made me a fan. But this Shafiul guy, who by the way desperately needs a Costco stock full of muscle milk, was eaten alive by Oram and other batsmen in the last overs in New Zealand. Is our infrastructure really that bad that we have to rely on average/mediocre bowlers like him and have to accept the fact that "they will learn as they progress?" smh.

How come Pakistan keeps producing fast bowling phenomenon one after another where we have dearth of players who can't get their basic line and length right? How does their infracstructure differ from ours?

But yeah I agree, Shafiul hasn't produced anything noteworthy yet. And his body language also smacks of meekness; he seems to lack the fire power that Rubel-Shahadat possess.

crikss
March 4, 2010, 12:51 AM
I like him because he is from Bogra...thats it...Bogra players are good enough..1st Mushfiq now Shafiul..and many more to come..

Gowza
March 4, 2010, 01:00 AM
the reason i like him are as follows:

- has good pace, consistently 135kph+, often around 140kph
- gets some nice sharp bounce, i haven't seen any other BD pacers who get as good sharp bounce off a good length
- has a surprising bouncer, during the india test series at times the batsmen just didn't expect it or for it to be so good.
- from what i've seen he beats the bat more than the other BD pacers (other than inform mash)

Farhad
March 4, 2010, 01:17 AM
I like him because of his wicked good inswingers, his ability to generate decent pace and bounce, and most importantly, his variation...

WarWolf
March 4, 2010, 01:20 AM
He got talents. More importantly he got a good brain.

al-Sagar
March 4, 2010, 01:22 AM
both shafiul and rubel needs to be defended. both of them has good futures. but both them actually brough very early in national team for me. a few more tours with a team could have been beneficial.

shafiul had that horrific over two days ago. rubel had one against srilanka. but i think both of them has the abilty to be good death bowlers. all they need to do is master the line and length with suitable fielding positioning. and let them continue bowling at death, as the more they will bowl at death the more they will come better. we tend to stop bowling a bowler at death if he doeas bad at one game, which is not right

al-Sagar
March 4, 2010, 01:23 AM
I like him because of his wicked good inswingers, his ability to generate decent pace and bounce, and most importantly, his variation...

unfortunately he forgot his variations in that over.

anyway, wish him a good future.

Farhad
March 4, 2010, 01:26 AM
unfortunately he forgot his variations in that over.

anyway, wish him a good future.

I think he had instructions to bowl yorkers every delivery. I saw him having a long talk with Shakib in the beginning of the over. Didnt seem like they continued having those chats once the over started...

Sohel
March 4, 2010, 01:53 AM
I've grown to like him because I've seen him visibly improve with every game, with ball AND bat. I think Shuhash is a definite keeper. Blaming a virtual debutant like him for failing during the death overs, especially when the experienced MaMu has an uglier history of doing the same, is misguidance. That was the Moyna's baffling decision as Skipper. He thought in terms of PP and not when the PP was being taken or who was in the middle or which other bowlers may have been the better option for him in terms of their economy against Morgan.

That being said, his follow-through scares me a little. He lands on his ankle at an angle and slightly out of balance, asking for injury.

Rifat
March 4, 2010, 02:06 AM
He has my full Support...definitely a software system that is useful, but could use some upgrades. but for now, it runs :) and this version is on par with the current National Team requirements...

Maximumpro
March 4, 2010, 02:13 AM
i dnt what bounce and variation u guys are talking about every fast bowler know how to bowl short ball. so far he looks lik an another ordinary bowler. so what he got couple of wickets, every tom dick harry would get wickets bowling 10 overs once in a while. not a national side material.

cricket_pagol
March 4, 2010, 02:53 AM
I've grown to like him because I've seen him visibly improve in every game, with ball AND bat. I think Shuhash is a definite keeper. Blaming a virtual debutant like him for failing during the death overs, especially when the experienced MaMu has an uglier history of doing the same, is misguidance. That was the Moyna's baffling decision as Skipper. He thought in terms of PP and not when the PP was being taken or who was in the middle or which other bowlers may have been the better option for him in terms of their economy against Morgan.

That being said, his follow-through scares me a little. He lands on his ankle at an angle and slightly out of balance, asking for injury.

His follow through is significant concern for me as well.

I also think he has tremendous potential and he seems to be learning every game. He is just 20 years old, and he started playing first class cricket from December of 2007. He is still a very raw talent, give him some time to develop his game (just like Rubel). He just needs to be groomed properly.

al-Sagar
March 4, 2010, 03:06 AM
shafiul very early in his ODI career. his stats are

7 matches, 48.5 overs 331 runs 10 wickets, Economy rate 6.77, avergae 33.2 SR 29.1

his SR looks good but economy rate is high.

needs to bring it down.

al-Sagar
March 4, 2010, 03:09 AM
shafiul very early in his ODI career. his stats are

7 matches, 48.5 overs 331 runs 10 wickets, Economy rate 6.77, avergae 33.2 SR 29.1

his SR looks good but economy rate is high.

needs to bring it down.

comparing to rubel

14 matches, 100 overs 595 runs 15 wickets, Economy rate 5.95, avergae 39.6 SR 40

Naimul_Hd
March 4, 2010, 03:55 AM
I would rank Shafiul ahead of Rubel/Shahadat. Shafiul has got everything that a pacer needs to possess.
- He is quick,
- He bowls bouncer a lot better than Rubel,
- He has got some variation of pace.
- the most importantly, he always seems to be a trier. Whenever he gets opportunity to ball, he puts his 100%. that is why i like him most.
- and do not forget he is just a newbie. Give him some time for gods sake to learn. We are not like Pakistan who produces pace bowler in every series.

Ekta jater pace bowler paisi...koi appreciate korben....ta na, ulta ekhoni criticize kora shuru kore disen.... ektu time den, i m sure he wont disappoint u in the long run. Dnt always think for short/quick gain. He is more like an investment, so u have to wait a bit to pass any bad comments.

fiasnahk
March 4, 2010, 06:06 AM
This guy is the best bowler bangladesh has at the moment, mark my word. He will be a very good test bowler in the future, because he can get the ball to seam away and has good bouncers. At the moment he is bowling faster than rubel, at around 140 kmph so he has enough pace when you compare with someone like shahadat who bowls 125 kmph. He needs to develop his line and length under pressure better. He bowls well first up but as soon as he gets hit for a boundary, his line becomes horrible. At the moment, he is way better than rubel, who bowls to wide and full or half vollies on the stumps. We dont need shahadat in the one day team. I also thought that nazmul hossain had some prosmise, where has he gone?

Bruno
March 4, 2010, 01:55 PM
i only hope he proves me wrong today.

I would hate to open a post titled "I told you so...."

Rubu
March 4, 2010, 02:30 PM
The only thing i dont like about him is his action. i'm no expert, but to me his action is asking for injury. other than that he is currently the best.
<br />Posted via BC Mobile Edition (1)

NKVD
March 4, 2010, 02:44 PM
Bruno - there is something wrong with your opening salvo.

You call him junk - that's an extreme branding, regardless of what the product is. How do you expect people to defend junk, when a "junk" is universally recognized to be nothing but...junk?

Unless ofcourse, your opinion is nothing short of...just that!

Probably you did not like something about him, and its stuck with you.

As for me, I'll read and learn from the responses.

Equinox
March 4, 2010, 03:01 PM
I liked him from the moment I saw him bowl. And I defended him back then when everyone was calling for his head after just seeing him bowl one over so I don't need to defend him now.. At the moment he is a better overall product than Rubel, although Rubel has more potential. He outpaced Rubel in the second ODI and the first two deliveries he bowled to Kieswetter were outstanding. Inswinger followed by an outswinger. Got him both times.

Rubel and Shafiul are the only bowlers we have who can become WC Test bowlers. Dollar, Robin et al are junk.

Gowza
March 4, 2010, 03:17 PM
I liked him from the moment I saw him bowl. And I defended him back then when everyone was calling for his head after just seeing him bowl one over so I don't need to defend him now.. At the moment he is a better overall product than Rubel, although Rubel has more potential. He outpaced Rubel in the second ODI and the first two deliveries he bowled to Kieswetter were outstanding. Inswinger followed by an outswinger. Got him both times.

Rubel and Shafiul are the only bowlers we have who can become WC Test bowlers. Dollar, Robin et al are junk.

what about subashis, sajidul, emon, alauddin, abul?

Equinox
March 4, 2010, 03:28 PM
what about subashis, sajidul, emon, alauddin, abul?
Haven't seen enough of them except Abul who has a looong way to go. And if they were genuine prospects they would be in the fringes by now. But they have been ignored for the T20 WC provisional squad. At best I think they can contribute to the ODI and T20 teams especially Shuvashish who has impressed a few members here. But Test cricket is different.

Farhad
March 4, 2010, 03:35 PM
i only hope he proves me wrong today.

I would hate to open a post titled "I told you so...."

Believe me, no one hates opening up an "I told you so..." thread. :lol:

Although, every one hates reading them...

Bruno
March 4, 2010, 08:07 PM
Bruno - there is something wrong with your opening salvo.

You call him junk - that's an extreme branding, regardless of what the product is. How do you expect people to defend junk, when a "junk" is universally recognized to be nothing but...junk?

Unless ofcourse, your opinion is nothing short of...just that!

Probably you did not like something about him, and its stuck with you.

As for me, I'll read and learn from the responses.

Yes you are absolutely right. I have watched his game since his debut carefully, and I concluded he does not have the potential to be a star bowler in the future.

I expect people to defend what they know to be true, using their faculties to spell out in words what is it about this lad they see that I dont see.

This is what this thread is about. It is not about breaking down the player, but rather clarifying if he is up to the mark. I titled the thread "DEFEND shafiul"...because I also, choose to live and learn, maybe I am wrong, and as a BD fan, I always hope I am wrong when it comes to these things.

As for my opinion, junk for junk is junk. That is the whole truth. :lol: Cheers!

One World
March 4, 2010, 08:24 PM
I think I saw a thread on how team management should be careful about the top emerging pacers and Shafiul must be the first candidate in the list. Look at Mash, Shahadat, Rasel, Sharif, Tapash et. al. The demise of pacers in few seasons hurts not only BD but all big teams as well. It is the persistence to balance to choose when to play and when to bench.

Now Shafiul is not Sajidul. He can emerge but needs proper care. Nevertheless I would like to see a Vaas like career for all tiger pace men.