PDA

View Full Version : Take a leaf out of Zimbabwe

Tigers_eye
March 4, 2010, 12:53 PM
Make strategies that suites you and hurts opponents.

No pacers!!! Utesa and Price openning in T20 and in ODIs. They successfully defended an undefendable total in T20. First over is maiden and they are making Gayle and Barath look like PNG openers. 21 balls has been bowled as I type. 18 dot balls.

+++

We know England has only two spinners in their squad. Collingwood and Wright are medium pacers. Why not make the pitch a turner from day 1 session one?

+++
We have some serious spinners in our pipeline who are doing good in domestic cricket. Our strategy making is so poor. Curator, selectors and coach all should butt heads together and get a win in test.

There is no reason we can't do that. We can play one pacer and win the test series.

BD-Shardul
March 4, 2010, 12:59 PM
Agree.

al-Sagar
March 4, 2010, 01:01 PM
zimbabwe have 7 spinners (full and part time) and 2 pacers.

lets see if they ever gonna introduce pacers or not.

anyway WI are making pitches to hurt themselves

Eshen
March 4, 2010, 01:04 PM
Well, the strategy does not seem to be working too well for Zimbabwe at this point.

I will prefer to see Shafi-Shak pair to open. IMO, a spinner-pacer combo will make it harder for openers to settle.

al-Sagar
March 4, 2010, 01:05 PM
zimbabwe are bowling out two of their best spinners who could have been economical in the middle and thus put more pressure. if they fail to take wicket then this could be problem for zimbabwe. WI will be happy to see of these two without giving them wickets.

Tigers_eye
March 4, 2010, 01:11 PM
What strategy will hurt England the most? What would get their potent weapon be ordinary? Taking out Chris Broad and Bresnan would make England fight with only one hand Swann. Wouldn't it be the best way to take down England? So making pitches that way is the first step.

Second would be taking advantage of that pitch. If Broad - Bresnan are taken out so would Rubel and Shafiul. As much as I like both these guys I would want to have only one of them with Enam Jr. taking the other ones place.

Fazal
March 4, 2010, 01:12 PM
zimbabwe are bowling out two of their best spinners who could have been economical in the middle and thus put more pressure. if they fail to take wicket then this could be problem for zimbabwe. WI will be happy to see of these two without giving them wickets.

Ya ...the way gayle is playing.... looks like ZIM will be out of leaf pretty soon

Tigers_eye
March 4, 2010, 01:16 PM
Now England don't have a Gayle. Just like the T20 game where Zim won. :)

al-Sagar
March 4, 2010, 01:18 PM
Ya ...the way gayle is playing.... looks like ZIM will be out of leaf pretty soon

13 overs gone wicketless.... .... and 13 of 20 overs from price and utseya has been bowled out. WI will now be confident of handling the rest of zimbabwe spinners

sadi
March 4, 2010, 01:28 PM

But they do have Pieterson eventhough he hasn't scored much yet.

Tigers_eye
March 4, 2010, 01:35 PM
But they do have Pieterson eventhough he hasn't scored much yet.
He is very uncomfortable against Spin. Gayle is not.
+++
What Zim did is they created a strategy that would suit them best. That is what I am trying to suggest. Most of the time we see BD playing without any startegy.

Shuvo getting 3 overs, Shafiul getting 2 overs and people complaining. Studing opponents and creating a strategy is a must if we want to get out of this losing streak in all format.

Nafi
March 4, 2010, 01:51 PM
West Indies 95/0 (21.2 ov)

:floor:

This thread is fail

Eshen
March 4, 2010, 01:57 PM

This thread is fail
Don't be so rude to the Cricket Sage ;)

Tigers_eye
March 4, 2010, 01:58 PM

This thread is fail
You did not read my first post obviously. Going by the title will make you look bad.

BD-Shardul
March 4, 2010, 01:58 PM
This thread didn't fail. What TE bhai highlighted here was ZIM had a definite strategy, which we do not have most of the time. Unfortunately the startegy didn't work for them, but at least they were well planned before they took the field.

And see, in batting our team has a team rule, about which people used to make fun of not so long ago. Although people may still be in denial mode, our batting team rule had some influence in our batting improvement, as I think it instilled responsibility among our batters and most of them know their roles.

Tigers_eye
March 4, 2010, 02:09 PM
Don't be so rude to the Cricket Sage ;)
I thought you knew your game pretty well. :umm:

Last checked we lost to (well let me say the way only you would understand) the worst WI team, whereas, Zim had a strategy against a better WI team and defended 105. We could not defend 115. The worst WI team finished it off with 19 balls to spare.

As long as there is a strategy and intent to implement it I am fine with it. Lately Bd's selection of players and their roles is questionable to say the least.

Against better opponents without a sound strategy we stand no chance.

Raynman
March 4, 2010, 02:17 PM
121/1 for 28. RRR is already above 6.

If only Siddons were the coach of ZIM. They could be happy with individual accomplishments and we wouldn't have to worry about anyone catching us up from behind.

Nafi
March 4, 2010, 02:17 PM
You did not read my first post obviously. Going by the title will make you look bad.

Let me see... this is what you wrote

There is no reason we can't do that. We can play one pacer and win the test series

Im sorry but this idea is just fail, nobody in test cricket's history has played a single pacer..Nobody. Now so if the great cricketing brains in the past have never fielded such a team, why do you think its a good idea.

You will never win a test match, with just one pacer, especialy if his name is Shahadat. Pacers are more likely to get five wicket hauls. We only have one spinner that is capable of getting a five wicket haul, and that is Shakib, no other spinner even comes close, theyre just support roles.

So I say again the above is stupid and idiotic. I apologise that I cannot restrain any offense.

Now going on strategies, you promote the idea of strategies, yet I do not see any evidence of you researching any english players' weakness, and identifying, its so easy to, oh spin will do the trick, that is a very lazy thing to say. We know KP cannot play left arm arm-balls full stop, because he always anticipates turn, and gets forward all the time, a clear lbw candidate.

But what about all the players, are there any clear strategies, fields you have proposed...no there isnt. Its all good saying team A has to do this, but without the analysis. What point are you making in this thread?

My post is a bit arrogant, I know, I apoligise if I came too strongly, but I just wanted to make my point.

AsifTheManRahman
March 4, 2010, 02:18 PM
I wouldn't mind playing with one pacer (just in case) against teams like England, WI, NZ or even SA on dust bowls in ODI's. It's not a long term solution, but at the moment our pacers suck and their batsmen forget the art of holding a bat when having to deal with quality spin.

Except for Amla and Kallis, of course. They are the bosses of men and women.

AsifTheManRahman
March 4, 2010, 02:20 PM
About Tests, I agree with Nafi.

Eshen
March 4, 2010, 02:25 PM
As long as there is a strategy and intent to implement it I am fine with it. Lately Bd's selection of players and their roles is questionable to say the least.

Against better opponents without a sound strategy we stand no chance.
Guess what? I been saying the same exact thing for months and am getting bashed as a blind Siddons hater. Individual performers can't win us matches if there is no strategy to maximize their contribution towards the team's goal.

However, I think Zimbabwe went overboard with spinners. I guess they don't have much of a choice as their pace department is real poor. But you can't win an ODI (let alone a Test) with such an one-dimensional attack.

Again, I think our best bowling strategy would be to mix up pacers and spinners better. Opening with a pacer-spinner combo is nothing new, many teams including ours have used the strategy in past.

But yeah, current BD team management don't seem to be spending much time strategizing, they are just leaving things for players to figure out on the fly.

Fischer
March 4, 2010, 02:27 PM

Neither did the WI team (heck none of first choice players) that BD 'whitewashed'; which made you guys claim that BD has put behind those dark days and shredded the minnow label :lol:.

You guys ask for respect when others are taking a shot at BD team but you convincingly show Ireland, Zim et al are 'minnows' and proclaiming yourself as a big bear. Follow what you preach folks.

Mind you Zim hardly face the top 8 teams and they obviously have been playing cricket against fringe teams giving them the false gauge of their players' (in)ability). And moreover, their cricketing team's performance is one of the last things that country thinks about given the political turmoil in that country.

ahms
March 4, 2010, 02:32 PM
Well, the strategy does not seem to be working too well for Zimbabwe at this point.

I will prefer to see Shafi-Shak pair to open. IMO, a spinner-pacer combo will make it harder for openers to settle.

You are wrong. It may not be enough to hold WI back. But it was smart move. Chris Gayle was out of water for a while, that made chasing that much difficult for WI. WI fail to capitalize power play period. I strongly believe Zim still has chance to win, 2 wickets down, required run rate 6.7. BD should learn something from this match.

Raynman
March 4, 2010, 02:34 PM
I propose we host a 5 Way series between WI, BD, Zim, IRE and AFG to truly settle who is number 8.

Eshen
March 4, 2010, 02:36 PM
Holly Molly, Zimbabwe clawed back into the game!

Win or lose, have to say they are playing well!

Tigers_eye
March 4, 2010, 02:38 PM
Let me see... this is what you wrote

Im sorry but this idea is just fail, nobody in test cricket's history has played a single pacer..Nobody. Now so if the great cricketing brains in the past have never fielded such a team, why do you think its a good idea.
Are you sure? Do you have any idea what you are talking about? In the 60's and 70's India had all spinners at home. This is just an ignorant comment from you.

You will never win a test match, with just one pacer, especialy if his name is Shahadat. Pacers are more likely to get five wicket hauls. We only have one spinner that is capable of getting a five wicket haul, and that is Shakib, no other spinner even comes close, theyre just support roles.
You will not find Shahadat in my post anywhere. You are assuming I wonder why? I mentioned Rubel and Shafiul. Pick one. Our pacers are more likely to get zero wicket where there is no assistant from the pitch. I wonder why you have wrote all this without even comtemplating what I said. The Curator has been mentioned first.

So I say again the above is stupid and idiotic. I apologise that I cannot restrain any offense.
You don't have to apologise to me. You say what you say I will answer they way I answer.

Now going on strategies, you promote the idea of strategies, yet I do not see any evidence of you researching any english players' weakness, and identifying, its so easy to, oh spin will do the trick, that is a very lazy thing to say. We know KP cannot play left arm arm-balls full stop, because he always anticipates turn, and gets forward all the time, a clear lbw candidate.

But what about all the players, are there any clear strategies, fields you have proposed...no there isnt. Its all good saying team A has to do this, but without the analysis. What point are you making in this thread?
I hoped you guys would come with all the detailed stuff. Like who would be better to bowl at who. By the way, strategies is not just trying to find weaknesses of opponents. It is also defusing their strength. Broad-Bresnan is a threat. That threat must be dealt with.

It doesn't serve purpose to have a spinning pitch and have two pacers where they can't get anything out of it. You do not know who Hirwani is.

My post is a bit arrogant, I know, I apoligise if I came too strongly, but I just wanted to make my point.
Points answered.

Eshen
March 4, 2010, 02:46 PM
BTW, I started a thread, before the start of the series, on discussing our bowling strategy -

http://www.banglacricket.com/alochona/showthread.php?t=32528

Sadi and Miraz came up with two good suggestions there. Unfortunately, our management don't seem to as organized in their thinking as some of the fans here are.

Miraz
March 4, 2010, 03:04 PM

This thread is fail

It's pretty alive mate!!

West Indies 170 - 4 and still needs 85 more from 66 balls. Match on!!

Nafi
March 4, 2010, 03:05 PM
Are you sure? Do you have any idea what you are talking about? In the 60's and 70's India had all spinners at home. This is just an ignorant comment from you.

Even then they still had medium pacers who took the shine off the ball

http://www.cricinfo.com/india/engine/match/63090.html

opening bowlers were Syed Abid and Eknath Solkar, both bowled medium pace.

http://www.cricinfo.com/india/content/player/26169.html
http://www.cricinfo.com/india/content/player/34085.html

And dont even compare India of the 70s, where none of the bowlers bowled above 70mph to Modern Bangladesh where we have clutch of decent pacers who can bowl 85+mph

al Furqaan
March 4, 2010, 03:34 PM
they've improved due to getting back a lot of key players...we'd have to play really well to beat them 4-1 again - and arguments can be made we did that last time against almost this exact same zimbabwe team (minus lamb).

at any rate, i'm not threatened by zimbabwe, who have improved by leaps and bounds. we ran england and NZ pretty close (who just beat AUS convincingly), and were unlucky to not pick up at least one 50 overs win from those 5 games.

as sakib says, we play without fear nowadays, and they know better what shots to play and what not to play. just getting rid of some dead woods and we'll be better off.

Tigers_eye
March 4, 2010, 03:39 PM
Even then they still had medium pacers who took the shine off the ball...
And dont even compare India of the 70s, where none of the bowlers bowled above 70mph to Modern Bangladesh where we have clutch of decent pacers who can bowl 85+mph
Don't dig a hole please. 3-5 overs the shine is off? if taking wickets in test is the main purpose how many did the pacers take? 2nd innings the medium pacer only bowled one over. For what is it worth he could have been bowling spin. Abid was there to bat as an opener.

There are instances India only used one pacer. Concede!!! Pace matters very little where the wicket is not offering anything to the bowler unless you are Shoaib Akhtar or having a Steyn day. None of our bowlers are at that stage yet.

For what is worth if you are still not satisfied that India did play with one pacer
http://www.cricinfo.com/india/engine/match/62940.html
+++
Lets not argue for the sake of argument:

If just taking the shine off can be the duty of one bowler then so be it. I'd pick Rubel cause he lands the ball off the seam. Let us give the English a taste of spin in the coming two tests. There lies our best chance.

Dhakablues
March 4, 2010, 03:50 PM
If only there was a player or a board member who would visit BC.com on a daily basis,,, how enlightened that wise would've been!!! Alas!

Raynman
March 4, 2010, 03:51 PM
22 off of 14. Not sure if WI are just deteriorating or if ZIM is turning the corner or both.

AsifTheManRahman
March 4, 2010, 03:52 PM
The Zimbabwean players are having the series of their lives!

Farhad
March 4, 2010, 03:52 PM
233/6! 2 overs left. This is getting interesting...

AsifTheManRahman
March 4, 2010, 03:53 PM
22 needed off the last two without Chanders.

Raynman
March 4, 2010, 03:54 PM
all the strong bowlers for ZIM are bowled out. Can they do it?

Farhad
March 4, 2010, 03:54 PM
Smith comes in. This could be a blessing in disguise for WI

AsifTheManRahman
March 4, 2010, 03:55 PM
Damnit Bura wide deish na!

al-Sagar
March 4, 2010, 03:55 PM
its raining

Farhad
March 4, 2010, 03:56 PM
Bowled em!!

al-Sagar
March 4, 2010, 03:57 PM
just see how chigumbura is bowling yorker after yorker...............

our bowlers bowls full toss and long hops

Raynman
March 4, 2010, 03:58 PM
Here we were worrying about IRE and AFG and now ZIM has come to join the party.

Farhad
Oh man... How low has WI sunk?!

Good news is...Zims rising up!

AsifTheManRahman
I want to be a chigum bura when I grow up.

Farhad
March 4, 2010, 03:59 PM
15 needed from last over. Nikita Miller on strike. Could go either way here...

Raynman
March 4, 2010, 04:00 PM
If only Mash were bowling this over :D

AsifTheManRahman
Oh my poor bladder! :(

al-Sagar
WI have only two batsman averaging over 20, gayle and chanderpaul

Raynman
March 4, 2010, 04:02 PM
WI have only two batsman averaging over 20, gayle and chanderpaul

Maybe they can take Ash....23 :)

Farhad
March 4, 2010, 04:02 PM
6!!

Farhad
March 4, 2010, 04:03 PM
BD went through heartbreak a couple of days ago... Zim today?

Farhad
March 4, 2010, 04:03 PM
4!!:(

Raynman
March 4, 2010, 04:04 PM
Poor Zim...only short by 10/20 runs. But at least they are becoming more competitive and getting good individual performances

Farhad
4 needed from 3 deliveries...

al-Sagar
4 from 3

AsifTheManRahman
March 4, 2010, 04:05 PM
What a heart break. Drop Masakasadasazadsa!

Farhad
Bowled em!! 4 from 2

Raynman
c'mon tie match

Farhad
March 4, 2010, 04:06 PM
What a heart break. Drop Masakasadasazadsa!

Utseyas fault. Horrible Captaincy! Giving the d├ębutante the last over after being hit for 24 in his only two preceding overs in international cricket...

Dhakablues
Man this is an exciting match.. for a strange brotherhood reason, I am supporting Zimbabwe on this one!!!

AsifTheManRahman
Oh man oh man my bladder can't take it no more!

Farhad
March 4, 2010, 04:07 PM
Caught!! 4 needed from 1!!

Raynman
March 4, 2010, 04:08 PM
Utseyas fault. Horrible Captaincy! Giving the d├ębutante the last over after being hit for 24 in his only two preceding overs in international cricket...

no other bowler left. Only other option was Taylor !

Farhad
Miller on strike... Danger Man!

al-Sagar
one handed catch by cremere...........

Farhad
March 4, 2010, 04:09 PM
no other bowler left. Only other option was Taylor !

Theres a reason for that you know...

Raynman
how can a young team like ZIM hold their nerve in a situation like this? Should they be folding and treating this as a learning experience?

AsifTheManRahman
Shooper hero Software Masakasadasazadsa!

Farhad
Just the single. Zim win by 2 runs!

Raynman
Theres a reason for that you know...

Yeah, its the other bowlers that put them in this position. Otherwise, game might have been over a long time ago.

AsifTheManRahman
March 4, 2010, 04:10 PM
YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Software Masakasadasazadsa! Software Masakasadasazadsa! Software Masakasadasazadsa!

Fischer
March 4, 2010, 04:10 PM
So where are the people who claimed that Zim won because there was no gayle. They proved y'all wrong by beating them with gayle. Take a leaf out of Zimbabwe's book fellas

Raynman
March 4, 2010, 04:11 PM
ZIM wins ... THREAD SUCCESSFUL.... congrats T_E

Dhakablues
Wow.. Bravo... This is why Zimbabwe is always Zimbabwe,, Fighting back even when they are at the brinks of defeat. What a turnarond!! Excellent approach and fighting spirit by the Zimbabwans!!

al-Sagar
in the end was fault by smith and benn who wanted to be hero by hitting the ball out of park, rather playing sensibly, and got out.

zimbabwe should have won this easily. utseya had his strategy just a bit wrong. should have bowled some more overs from chigumbura in the middle over and kept one of his better spinners to bowl at the death

Raynman
March 4, 2010, 04:12 PM
So where are the people who claimed that Zim won because there was no gayle. They proved y'all wrong by beating them with gayle. Take a leaf out of Zimbabwe's book fellas

We here at this forum are the king of excuses. I'm sure you'll find some explanation for this win later on.

Tigers_eye
March 4, 2010, 04:13 PM
^ failed. No one claimed that for ODIs. :)

It is about the strategy and implementing them. :)

AsifTheManRahman
March 4, 2010, 04:14 PM
We here at this forum are the king of excuses. I'm sure you'll find some explanation for this win later on.
Will they criticize Sibanda for an SR of 58?

al-Sagar
March 4, 2010, 04:15 PM
i think if u look at stats...... i think zimbabwe are more experienced than WI ...... this WI squad is a very new team with lots of new faces and only two players having batting average of 20.

anyway zimbabwe started with a victory against BD in BD but then lost all matches. lets hope this time this does not happen. anyway i think BD are better than this WI squad

Raynman
March 4, 2010, 04:16 PM
Will they criticize Sibanda for an SR of 58?

but of course. Sibanda's SR, Utseya bowling out the top spinners early, giving a debutant the last over, not picking more pacers...you name it

Farhad
March 4, 2010, 04:16 PM
Utseya got his butt saved there! Taibu should be captain...

AsifTheManRahman
March 4, 2010, 04:18 PM
i think if u look at stats...... i think zimbabwe are more experienced than WI ...... this WI squad is a very new team with lots of new faces and only two players having batting average of 20.

Yet when we beat this team in Tests and ODIs (OK, barring a couple of players, but most of the makeshift players then are regulars now), the world made too much noise. I say screw the ROW.

Raynman
March 4, 2010, 04:18 PM
All said and done, ZIM are 2-0 in 2010. But that doesn't compare to our 0-13. WI are 0-6 trying to catch up to us.

C'mon NOW. This has got to light a fire under somebody's A$$ tonight when we play ENG.

AsifTheManRahman
March 4, 2010, 04:20 PM
All said and done, ZIM are 2-0 in 2010. But that doesn't compare to our 0-13. WI are 0-6 trying to catch up to us.

C'mon NOW. This has got to light a fire under somebody's A$$ tonight when we play ENG.
Bhai amader pachay agun na dhoranoi bhalo. Polapainer matha gorom howe gele boldami shuru kore dey. Maair ektao matitey pore na, shob jaay fielder er haatey.

Farhad
March 4, 2010, 04:21 PM

Your signature doesn't match your posts at all. Not even the slightest bit!

Just be happy for Zimbabwe. Theres no reason to call out our players for a match that they werent even involved in. I'm pretty happy with how our boys have played so far this year. One step at a time...

Raynman
March 4, 2010, 04:21 PM
Bhai amader pachay agun na dhoranoi bhalo. Polapainer matha gorom howe gele boldami shuru kore dey. Maair ektao matitey pore na, shob jaay fielder er haatey.

plane B : :-|Sit em down on a bucket of ice?

Raynman
March 4, 2010, 04:22 PM

Just be happy for Zimbabwe. Theres no reason to call out our players for a match that didnt even involve them...

lol...wrong person's A$$ got set on fire

Fischer
March 4, 2010, 04:25 PM

Where were these kinda reasoning when BD "whitewashed" WI to earn the title of invincible on BC :lol:

Farhad
March 4, 2010, 04:28 PM
lol...wrong person's A$$ got set on fire

I'm just a little annoyed by the eternal pessimism by some of our posters here. You guys do know this is Bangladesh we're supporting here, right? The team that hardly ever reached even 200 in Tests just 2-3 years ago? We might still win 1 game a year two years into the Jamie Siddons era, but you cant just look at the wins and losses column... We all know that each and every win we've had so far had to happen in just the right circumstances. Nowadays, we're competitive in pretty much all our ODI's. Thats a HUGE step up in such a short time...

al-Sagar
March 4, 2010, 04:31 PM
We might still win 1 game a year two years into the Jamie Siddons era, but you cant just look at the wins and losses column... We all know that each and every win we've had so far had to happen in just the right circumstances. Nowadays, we're competitive in pretty much all our ODI's. Thats a HUGE step up in such a short time...

it cant get truer than this

dolcevita
March 4, 2010, 04:50 PM
Even if we don't win this year each time ( exect 2 Odi in NZ due to lack of warm up match ) we post 240+ ...
And we all know why yesterday we don't win , and in Tri series DEW kill us
<br />Posted via BC Mobile Edition (iPhone)

Raynman
March 4, 2010, 04:56 PM
So believing that our team is capable of a record that reads better than 0-13 is pessimism yet the belief that we can do no better than we are doing today is optimism?

Finding a silver lilning is one thing but to deny the sky is cloudy is another.

Eshen
March 4, 2010, 04:59 PM
So believing that our team is capable of a record that reads better than 0-13 is pessimism yet the belief that we can do no better than we are doing today is optimism?

Is not it amazing how different can be people's perspectives?!

Raynman
March 4, 2010, 05:00 PM
Is not it amazing how different can be people's perspectives?!

Preaching to the choir, brother. :)

Murad
March 4, 2010, 05:04 PM
Good news for us.

Gap between us and WI is getting closer :-D

Eshen
March 4, 2010, 05:23 PM
Preaching to the choir, brother. :)
I was actually applauding the choir, not preaching :)

Raynman
March 4, 2010, 05:26 PM
Good news for us.

Gap between us and WI is getting closer :-D

WI dropped to 71 from 74 today. Even a 4-1 win now will bring them only to 72. They can go as far down to 59 if ZIM can do the unthinkable of 5-0.

We are at 53 and will go to 52 if we lose today or 55 if we win.

Zimbabwe went to 28 from 26 and the max they can go from the WI series is 38.

For WI,

4-1 = 72
3-2 = 68
2-3= 65
1-4 = 62
0-5 = 59

Eshen
March 4, 2010, 05:33 PM
BCB needs to arrange a series against WI or Pak soon if they want to establish our claim as the #8 team officially (unofficially we are already there).

al Furqaan
March 4, 2010, 05:42 PM
BCB needs to arrange a series against WI or Pak soon if they want to establish our claim as the #8 team officially (unofficially we are already there).

pak is supposed to come this year...i believe it will a december clash, i think BCB were thinking of inviting ZIM to make it a tri series. but they owe us a 5-match series which i believe they will as of now.

but yeah, we should invite WI for 5 ODIs and 3 Tests...if only BCB had the brains.

AsifTheManRahman
March 4, 2010, 05:43 PM
pak is supposed to come this year...i believe it will a december clash, i think BCB were thinking of inviting ZIM to make it a tri series.
Please no D/N games then. Hate to see the result of a game being dictated by the toss. Lose toss, might as well go home.

ahms
March 4, 2010, 06:03 PM

Just be happy for Zimbabwe. Theres no reason to call out our players for a match that they werent even involved in. I'm pretty happy with how our boys have played so far this year. One step at a time...

I agree with you. We should be happy. We beat both WI and Zimbo. Now point gap is narrower between Ban & WI. Inshallah after we beat Eng today (tonight here), point gap will be much narrower.

chol_bd123
March 4, 2010, 06:03 PM
^^^in Chittagong?

congrats Zimbabwe. A well deserved game. BCB should invite the WI team to tour us. THey seem to suck these days but I think our boys will still find a way to lose against them

Farhad
March 4, 2010, 06:50 PM

Finding a silver lilning is one thing but to deny the sky is cloudy is another.

Fair enough. And I like your adaptation of that proverb. But no ones denying the sky is cloudy. I'm simply saying that to expect a team that bad to so quickly turn it around, show consistency, and win games (a lot of which the odds were so clearly stacked against us, read: dewy conditions, pathetic umpiring) is expecting a little too much.

Its not denying that the sky is cloudy. Its simply trying to admit there are fewer clouds than the day before. What I see a lot of people doing here on a constant basis (not necessarily you, I just replied to you because i found your signature ironic given the content of the post) is kinda like a meteorologist bitching and moaning about a cloudy day a week after living through a hurricane.

What I'm trying to say is, its all relative. Lets not expect 90 degree weather just yet ;)

And.......cue Zunaid bhai's post about how San Diego rocks :lol:

Murad
March 4, 2010, 07:40 PM
Please no D/N games then. Hate to see the result of a game being dictated by the toss. Lose toss, might as well go home.

BCB don't give a sh*t about win/lose. They care about money only. They get more revenue from D/N games than day games.

Murad
March 4, 2010, 07:42 PM
WI dropped to 71 from 74 today. Even a 4-1 win now will bring them only to 72. They can go as far down to 59 if ZIM can do the unthinkable of 5-0.

For WI,

4-1 = 72
3-2 = 68
2-3= 65
1-4 = 62
0-5 = 59

Thanks Raynman bhai.
I hope Zimb beat them 4-1 or atleast 3-2. And then when we play Zimb later in the year, we will move up to 8th place. :)

Zeeshan
March 4, 2010, 07:48 PM
And.......cue Zunaid bhai's post about how San Diego rocks :lol:

Pssh....San Diego is OC's sore throat and Tijuana's ulcer. Lol...a ban maybe forthcoming. :(

bujhee kom
March 4, 2010, 08:09 PM

For WI,

4-1 = 72
3-2 = 68
2-3= 65
1-4 = 62
0-5 = 59

Thank you dear Raynman bhai!! You always have hard passionate work for BD cricket!!

bujhee kom
March 4, 2010, 08:11 PM
I must say congrats to Prosper Utsiya and team Zimbabwe, I didn't think they could do it, they proved me wrong, so I salute them!

Raynman
March 4, 2010, 08:57 PM
Fair enough. And I like your adaptation of that proverb. But no ones denying the sky is cloudy. I'm simply saying that to expect a team that bad to so quickly turn it around, show consistency, and win games (a lot of which the odds were so clearly stacked against us, read: dewy conditions, pathetic umpiring) is expecting a little too much.

Its not denying that the sky is cloudy. Its simply trying to admit there are fewer clouds than the day before. What I see a lot of people doing here on a constant basis (not necessarily you, I just replied to you because i found your signature ironic given the content of the post) is kinda like a meteorologist bitching and moaning about a cloudy day a week after living through a hurricane.

What I'm trying to say is, its all relative. Lets not expect 90 degree weather just yet ;)

appreciate the candor. Irony is also noted. In my defense though you will see that I have the Records threads and the performance monitor thread where I duly celebrate the individual success as well as the close games.

To draw a basketball analogy, when Kobe scored 81 in a single game, Bryant fans had every right to celebrate the great individual accomplishment. But Lakers fans were definitely entitled to the concern that it took an unearthly effort from Bryant to barely beat the Toronto Raptors.

When BD beat NZ in the 1st ODI and threatened to steal the series or almost win the tri series with SL in the final or streched SL and NZ to the limit in those tests, those were something to look forward to. Fast forward a year and is it too much to expect a few wins out of 13 tries? The individual growth has arrived but there doesn't seem to be any improvements in team strategy. Is it wrong to voice out concern about the coach in that sense.

Now my beef is not with you personally but you have to admit that for all the negativity you are seeing, there is an equal number of members lighting their torches and sharpening their pitchforks everytime a comment is made or a concern is raised about where we are as a team.

As for the near misses, we only have BCB to blame for the D/N games about the dew for the tri series and don't forget Shakib won the toss in the 1st match and chose to field. Umpiring decisions are a part of the game but in reality, the last ODI was the only game that it mattered as far as the result is concerned.

We took NZ in 2008 to the limit in BD who are a much better ODI unit than the ENG squad visiting us. We should have had the series tied or sealed by now instead of playing for pride on a dead rubber match vs. an even more depleted ENG squad.