PDA

View Full Version : Sidebottom: Bangladesh Deserve Test Status

cricman
March 6, 2010, 04:10 PM
At 32, Sidebottom's chances of touring Bangladesh again are slight indeed but he feels it is important that top international sides continue to include the likes of Dhaka and Chittagong in their travel schedules.

The International Cricket Council are conducting an ongoing review into the Test game in a bid to provide greater meaning and structure and one suggestion has been to split the longer format into upper and lower tiers.

But Sidebottom believes that would be a backward step for all concerned.

'That would be a crying shame, I don't think that should happen all,' he said.

'We want to tour places like this. It's very important for Bangladesh too. If England come and tour here it might inspire hundreds or thousands of kids to take up cricket and give them a better life.

'It is not just about the cricket. I think the guys want to come and embrace it. It's all right going to Australia and South Africa but places like this are part and parcel of the game and it's about improving the game over here as well.'

Sidebottom was one of 11 England players who visited a school in association with the World Food Programme, handing out nutritional snacks and passing on some cricketing tips to the pupils.

He admits to being moved by the experience and hopes to make use of it in his own charitable work in England.

'We can live in our own bubble as cricketers. It doesn't cost us very much to give a bit of our time to help these children,' he said.

'It's a very humbling experience and it doesn't happen very often so to do our little bit helps.

'You ask all the kids round here what they want to do and pretty much all of them say cricket, even some of the girls.

'I'm starting a Trust with my benefit year, called the Siddy Club. It's helping local children and a local hospice for children with long-term illnesses. Seeing this side of it and how the other half live helps you see how lucky you are as cricketers.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/cricket/article-1255920/Ryan-Sidebottom-insists-Bangladesh-deserves-needs-Test-cricket-status.html#ixzz0hQujKhQc

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/cricket/article-1255920/Ryan-Sidebottom-insists-Bangladesh-deserves-needs-Test-cricket-status.html#ixzz0hQuNkp5H

glad to see he was moved buy his experience at the school

Eshen
March 6, 2010, 04:24 PM
Is this in response of Scyld Berry's latest column?

Test series victory for England can distort the picture (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/cricket/international/england/7376453/Scyld-Berry-Test-series-victory-for-England-can-distort-the-picture.html)

Upsets can occur in the shorter forms, but when men play boys at Test cricket only the men will win. Bangladesh's three Test wins have come against Zimbabwe, shortly before they were demoted, and against West Indies during a players' strike, when college kids were called in to top what was not even a West Indies Second XI.

The fundamental trouble is that there is not, and never has been, any cricket of real quality in Bangladesh at any level.

Pressure in sport is often referred to and seldom defined. Bangladesh have never been able to apply it. If two batsmen get a partnership going against England, and start to put heat on the bowlers, all precedent suggests that one or both will give his wicket away.

Bangladesh cannot build pressure through bowling partnerships either. They have only ever had three bowlers of the required standard: one of them a slow left-armer who has retired, another a pace bowler with knackered knees, and the third Shakib al-Hasan, who has far too much on his plate for a 22 year-old all-rounder and captain.

.. the two Tests won't be a proper test of cricket skills: for England it will be like an exam in which you are given an occasional look at the answers.

Hence the dangerous consequences. Tim Bresnan or Liam Plunkett could take a bundle of wickets, which would commend their fitness in the heat. But it would be no indication of whether they are Test class. Among England's leading bowlers on their one and only previous tour of Bangladesh were Richard Johnson, Martin Saggers and Rikki Clarke, none of whom went on to anything. A few bouncers in the Test at Chittagong last time were enough to take a wicket.

Bangladesh have a first-class competition now, but it is obviously not a breeding ground yet. Nobody came close to a double-century last season, even on slow pitches, and against ordinary finger-spinners and medium-pacers.

This week the Test will be staged at the new out-of-town stadium, where Bangladesh's naïvety gave England their third one-day victory last Friday. The hundreds for Craig Kieswetter and Eoin Morgan, and the fifties of Alastair Cook at the start of his captaincy, were better than nothing but not hard evidence, because the opposition was so soft.

James Tredwell could also take a bundle of wickets from naïve schoolboyish slogs. The danger is that England's selectors would then ink him in, on the basis of these figures, for the next Test when England will need two spinners, perhaps in Sydney in 10 months' time. Monty Panesar has to be the back-up to Graeme Swann then.

Abid_Khan
March 6, 2010, 07:49 PM
What's wrong with that Berry guy.. a 100 is 100 (he was referring to Morgan and Kieswetter's hundreds as a 'farce'). And what cdredentials does he have in the cricketing world anyway. Pathetic.

beshideshi
March 6, 2010, 08:00 PM
One thing about the Windies *second XI* we played, 7 out of the current squad playing Zim were in that that team. And this team minus Gayle would lose to the team that played Bangladesh. So, repeatedly calling that team the second XI is very unfair. No one mentions that Australia won against a very crumbled Windies team. It was the best possible team at that moment, and we beat them

wiseshah
March 6, 2010, 08:44 PM
One thing about the Windies *second XI* we played, 7 out of the current squad playing Zim were in that that team. And this team minus Gayle would lose to the team that played Bangladesh. So, repeatedly calling that team the second XI is very unfair. No one mentions that Australia won against a very crumbled Windies team. It was the best possible team at that moment, and we beat them

totally agree. may be it was blessing for them in disguise. they always have 2 or max 3 performer.

i think quality wise this guys are better thats why they are in the main team. so we played with their main team.

al-Sagar
March 6, 2010, 10:31 PM

the pitches where the T20 and first two ODI's were played, cremer look liked warne, lamb looked like habhajan, In this pitch BD spinners would have been unplayable.

we needed pitches like these in Dhaka and chittagong, where it spins more and when it spins it spins fast

pocha
March 7, 2010, 01:57 AM
The first two paragraphs in the article ridicules BD cricket to extent as mean as possible. And still we could not flatten these English in our own backyard. Can our players read this and wins the test series for us?? Someone forward this to ignite some spark in them

Bangladesh have made the worst, the most uncompetitive start to Test cricket of any of the 10 countries that have played this form of the sport. For most of the time, in their first decade, they have not given their opponents a game. Of their 64 Tests, they have lost 55, more than half by an innings.

Bangladesh went into Test cricket at minus square 10, and still have not reached square one. There was no first-class competition in Bangladesh when India's administrators decided they needed an extra vote in the corridors of the International Cricket Council and cynically exploited their neighbours: they were dumped in the deep end and have been sinking ever since.

shujan
March 7, 2010, 02:23 AM
The first two paragraphs in the article ridicules BD cricket to extent as mean as possible. And still we could not flatten these English in our own backyard. Can our players read this and wins the test series for us?? Someone forward this to ignite some spark in them

Seriously nothing can motivate this Bangladesh team! Last ODI was the worst sports match I have ever seen. It was disgusting.

magic boy
March 7, 2010, 02:33 AM
kobe je test status nia foreignerder penpenani-ghenghenani bondho hoibo.....shanti paitam :sigh:

aniksh1
March 7, 2010, 03:50 AM
They might not take away our test status now...cos we will be putting up the fight till the fifth day hopefully.....but no doubt our test record is disgusting...and a feeling of guilt will be there from us...

nahaz
March 7, 2010, 04:24 AM
English columists have always looked like bostibashi in my eyes. They don't ever write anything good in those tabloids. Cricinfo writers mostly excluded.

But we do need to show more application in tests. It does not hurt to try to stick to the wicket and score runs instead of charging down the wicket and fulfilling your personal vandetta against a team. Maybe we know how brilliant (!) our players are but the rest of the world only look at our performances against them.Don't expect England to think Naeem is brilliant, or even Sakib is good, unless they score runs.

BANFAN
March 7, 2010, 06:03 AM
Be carefull, his is bottom sided... never know what it could mean...:)

beshideshi
March 7, 2010, 07:23 AM
the pitches where the T20 and first two ODI's were played, cremer look liked warne, lamb looked like habhajan, In this pitch BD spinners would have been unplayable.

we needed pitches like these in Dhaka and chittagong, where it spins more and when it spins it spins fast

I did not see the games, but from the past few series' experience I can say that both Zim and Win will struggle against our SLA battery on any track in the world. While playing WIN, we must ensure that at least 2 of our batsmen scores 50+, then the games should be ours.

kalpurush
March 7, 2010, 07:31 AM
Seriously nothing can motivate this Bangladesh team! Last ODI was the worst sports match I have ever seen. It was disgusting.
You ment Moni's LBW decision?!;)

khalek
March 7, 2010, 07:43 AM
No we don't deserve test status, we are still far away from becoming a decent ODI side

Tigers_eye
March 7, 2010, 07:50 AM
Nice to see the formation of Siddy club. We need to talk about Hospice instead of an ignorable article be someone. Soon you will see Cookie Club, Woody Club, Swan Club etc.

Thank you for the comments Siddy.

godzilla
March 7, 2010, 08:25 AM
What's wrong with that Berry guy.. a 100 is 100 (he was referring to Morgan and Kieswetter's hundreds as a 'farce'). And what cdredentials does he have in the cricketing world anyway. Pathetic.

I agree and not to mention Tamim got a 100 also ... if something like this was reffered to the INDIAN team. he would probably be writting his resignation letter by now ... WHAT A DOUCH BAG

kalpurush
March 7, 2010, 08:26 AM
No we don't deserve test status, we are still far away from becoming a decent ODI side
:down::down::down::down::down::down::down::down::d own::down::down::down::down::down::down::down::dow n::down::down::down::down::down::down::down::down: :down::down::down::down::down::down::down:
Friend of Moni
:down::down::down::down::down::down::down::down::d own::down::down::down::down::down::down::down::dow n::down::down::down::down::down::down::down::down: :down::down::down::down::down::down::down:

godzilla
March 7, 2010, 08:28 AM

Finaly someone speaks the truth! WAY TO GO 2 THUMBS UP!!
WI is crumbling and will crumble hard. Once Gayle, Sharwan, Chanderpul and co retires ... well we know what will happen to that team if their "SO CALLED 2nd CHOICE 11'' is the only players avalable

godzilla
March 7, 2010, 08:30 AM

then I don't even know what you are even doing in this forum ... if we don't deserve to be a test team then you don't deserve to be a member who supports them ... SAD realy ...

khalek
March 7, 2010, 08:49 AM
I don't get it, you mean to say we are a good ODI side? Do you know our win percentage in ODIs after 10 years?

FagunerAgun
March 7, 2010, 09:35 AM
What ever the articles are, does not matter that much.
What matters is the tigers must prove on the filed, undoubtedly, that they deserve the Test status.
Charity for able persons is a shame.

mij
March 7, 2010, 11:24 AM
I don't get it, you mean to say we are a good ODI side? Do you know our win percentage in ODIs after 10 years?

Seems like you are not following cricket last few years.

mij
March 7, 2010, 11:25 AM
What ever the articles are, does not matter that much.
What matters is the tigers must prove on the filed, undoubtedly, that they deserve the Test status.
Charity for able persons is a shame.

:up:

Ajfar
March 7, 2010, 12:10 PM
he is just being nice, this is just feel good stuff, it doesn't do any good for us. the stadium is our battle field, and at the end of the day if we come out as winners we get praised, if we come out with more so close yet so far performance we still get a little praise, we come out as loser, then we are losers. period.

AsifTheManRahman
March 7, 2010, 12:52 PM
Yes, people seem to miss this. We had to play without our best fast bowler too.

BD-Shardul
March 7, 2010, 01:06 PM
So what if Sidebottom has said something good about us? The sad thing is, even after a decade of playing test cricket, talk of whether we deserve test status still pops up.

Rifat
March 7, 2010, 01:19 PM
kobe je test status nia foreignerder penpenani-ghenghenani bondho hoibo.....shanti paitam :sigh:

Opportunity awaits around the corner my friend, and what better opponent than the country which invented this great game itself, over which people like me and a good 10,000 folks on planet earth lose sleep over :smug:

Unfortunately, Bangladesh have had plenty of opportunities in the past, 95% of the time we wasted them!

bujhee kom
March 7, 2010, 02:23 PM
glad to see he was moved buy his experience at the school
Absolutely right oyu are cricman bhai....I see Sidebottom being a very inspired social development leader type and from what I read here in the cricman bhai's clip, I see he is genuinely interested in understanding, supporting, working with children and regular folks and truly spreading the massage of the game of cricket! He seems like a genuine induvidual who would be highly motivated to do peace work, U.N. work, work for humanity!

I never thought much of Sidebottom, but since I read this my maind changed a lot and I went on to read up more on him! He is definitely the most admirable English cricketer for me now. Salute and a big salaam to Sidebottom, cheers!

Eshen
March 7, 2010, 06:01 PM
Well, not everybody is like Berry.

Bangladesh's naivety belies a passion that deserves respect (http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2010/mar/07/bangladesh-cricket-progress)

auntu
March 7, 2010, 08:32 PM
Agreed. Well said.

bujhee kom
March 7, 2010, 10:20 PM

Top Post!!! Beshideshi bhaike janai praan-dhala big_hug, bhalobhasha ebong obhinandon!!

Tiger Manc
March 8, 2010, 10:09 AM
Good to see Sidebottom come out and say that.