PDA

View Full Version : Raqibul "The Rock" Congratulation.

amar11432
March 7, 2010, 06:13 AM
Raqibul Congratulation on your 107 in the practice match. Hopefully he comes back to the test squad and produces many more centuries. :notworthy:

dolcevita
March 7, 2010, 06:17 AM
deserves to be in senior team ahead of "great TALENT" like ashrafool and atbab

yaseer
March 7, 2010, 06:21 AM
Yes, Congratulations. Good knock to prove himself.

But wondering, does a FC century against a touring country deserve congratulation thread? We have match thread for this. We should expect this after playing that much cricket in this level.

amar11432
March 7, 2010, 06:22 AM
deserves to be in senior team ahead of "great TALENT" like ashrafool and atbab

^^ For sure, Ashrafool should take a break from cricket for at least a year.

Rabz
March 7, 2010, 06:26 AM
Congrats Rock.
You've played a really good knock and raised your point.

al-Sagar
March 7, 2010, 06:28 AM
produces many more centuries

Not the 20-40 again
<br />Posted via BC Mobile Edition (Opera Mobile)

alibangali
March 7, 2010, 06:29 AM
Yes, Congratulations. Good knock to prove himself.

But wondering, does a FC century against a touring country deserve congratulation thread? We have match thread for this. We should expect this after playing that much cricket in this level.

Are we so low on success that we need to celebrate a FC century with its own thread?

I am not a big fan of rock but he has always done well on FC level, its the pressure of Intl matches that get to him.

cricket_king
March 7, 2010, 06:31 AM
That guy must've practiced his heart out. Well done mate. :up:

Though I must admit, this trend of opening a thread for every century is now just annoying. I mean come on, this was a practice match.

Gowza
March 7, 2010, 06:34 AM
it's a century against a touring team with a pretty poor attack. congrats the the bloke but i don't think it really tells us anything because it wasn't an international quality attack. plus naeem is a more versatile batsman than raqibul, so i'd still be seriously considering bringing naeem in even though rok got this century, both are better than aftab, junaid and ash though.

cricket_pagol
March 7, 2010, 06:44 AM
This is really good news... I was getting really worried about the team. Good to see Rock forcing his way into the team with a solid performance!

tiger_army
March 7, 2010, 06:46 AM
Rock Rocks.... he should go back to his well deserved place @ no 3

Bugz
March 7, 2010, 06:46 AM
it's a century against a touring team with a pretty poor attack. congrats the the bloke but i don't think it really tells us anything because it wasn't an international quality attack. plus naeem is a more versatile batsman than raqibul, so i'd still be seriously considering bringing naeem in even though rok got this century, both are better than aftab, junaid and ash though.

When the next highest score is 21 and the opposition is 3 down for not many- it is a very good innings.

tiger_army
March 7, 2010, 06:52 AM

poor attack, c'mon mate what are you talking about? This poor attack will destroy our top and middle order on real match....

Naimul_Hd
March 7, 2010, 06:59 AM
ekhoni alladey godo godo hoyar kichu nai.....lets see how he fairs in the real event !

Gowza
March 7, 2010, 06:59 AM
When the next highest score is 21 and the opposition is 3 down for not many- it is a very good innings.

maybe, BD teams are notorious for collapsing even on good batting wickets. but lets say it was a good innings, what rok has shown us against quality pace attacks in test cricket is very poor, not likely he can improve that quickly and add to the fact he did it against a poor attack. not all good innings give you useful information about the player, rok has been really poor in test cricket so to prove that he's now a better cricketer he has to bring out scores against good quality attacks and unfortunately for him the one he has faced in this match just isn't that good.

you can only play against those put infront of you, but like i said, not every good innings gives you useful information. all it tells us is that he can score a century against an average attack when the rest of the team was collapsing, that is something we already knew rok was capable of doing.

Gowza
March 7, 2010, 07:02 AM
poor attack, c'mon mate what are you talking about? This poor attack will destroy our top and middle order on real match....

that says more about the BD top/middle order than the quality of the bowling attack. the english attack in this match is far from being a test quality attack, if rok is to play test cricket regularly he's going to have to face much better attacks.

Purbasha T
March 7, 2010, 07:04 AM
Happy that he got some runs...and proved his ''..haat khuleo khelte pari'' quote by those three sixes. :)

Zeeshan
March 7, 2010, 07:44 AM
ajke sylheti bhaier eid.

khalek
March 7, 2010, 07:48 AM
Bresnan, Shahzad, Plunkett... That's a terrible bowling attack. Yet I think it was a good innings cause most of the others failed.

dolcevita
March 7, 2010, 07:54 AM
Well played a ton is a ton
<br />Posted via BC Mobile Edition (iPhone)

al-Sagar
March 7, 2010, 07:58 AM
Bresnan, Shahzad, Plunkett... That's a terrible bowling attack. Yet I think it was a good innings cause most of the others failed.

do you want to say SHAHZADA is better than those three..... ..... .....

well those who worked their way in the ENGLAND SIDE are good bowlers. may be onions, broad, anderson or sidebottom is missing but these are the next best and all of them are better than all the pacers we have in BD.

khalek
March 7, 2010, 08:10 AM
do you want to say SHAHZADA is better than those three..... ..... .....

well those who worked their way in the ENGLAND SIDE are good bowlers. may be onions, broad, anderson or sidebottom is missing but these are the next best and all of them are better than all the pacers we have in BD.

Lol I won't say that but definitely Shahzada > Rubela, that cannot be denied. :-D

But seriously that is a second string England bowling attack, none of them have impressive FC records. Plunkett's selection has a lot to do with his batting abilities as well and Ajmal is a crap bowler. Bresnan is probably the only decent bowler.

al-Sagar
March 7, 2010, 08:16 AM
Lol I won't say that but definitely Shahzada > Rubela, that cannot be denied. :-D

But seriously that is a second string England bowling attack, none of them have impressive FC records. Plunkett's selection has a lot to do with his batting abilities as well and Ajmal is a crap bowler. Bresnan is probably the only decent bowler.

if they were crap why they got selected...... is england out of good bowlers, is there a scarcity of good bowlers playing in the county cricket ???? i dont think so. or are the england selectors crap like bD selectors who select rubel instead of shahjada ????

tiger_army
March 7, 2010, 08:20 AM
that says more about the BD top/middle order than the quality of the bowling attack. the english attack in this match is far from being a test quality attack, if rok is to play test cricket regularly he's going to have to face much better attacks.

thts how our batting line up sucks

khalek
March 7, 2010, 08:42 AM
if they were crap why they got selected...... is england out of good bowlers, is there a scarcity of good bowlers playing in the county cricket ???? i dont think so. or are the england selectors crap like bD selectors who select rubel instead of shahjada ????

No one rates Ajmal Shahzad in England, he has been picked for his all round abilities just like Plunkett. England are selecting players on abilities rather than stats now after the retirement of Flintoff.

Most bowlers in England average over 30 in county cricket, England have been lucky that Broad and Anderson have become good bowlers in test cricket. Anderson in particular took a long time to perform well in tests, he was also picked for his talent before not stats.

In the middle they tried so many crap bowlers like Sajid Mahmood, they all failed and they are still doing the same hoping guys Ajmal will also develop into good test match bowler.

simon
March 7, 2010, 08:52 AM
Well played a ton is a ton

that's a fact.
And also I think it wasn't a batting paradise as Eng are 68 for 3 down too.
Congrats to Rock.
He is surely a better candidate than Ash or Aftab.

al-Sagar
March 7, 2010, 08:53 AM

This is what he faced today ......

Ajmal Shahzad 22 matches, 53 wkts, avg 35.03, econ 3.64 SR 62.4
Bresnan 87 matches, 222 wkts, avg 32.32, econ 3.12 SR 62.1
Plunkett 85 matches, 266 wkts, avg 30.15, econ 3.64 SR 49.6
steve Finn 31 matches, 94 wkts, avg 31.93, econ 3.70 SR 51.6
Tredwell 88 matches, 223 wkts, avg 36.73, econ 3.19 SR 68.9

if that is not impressive first class record than what is impressive first class record ???

any this is what was missing from England today

broad 65 matches, 214 wkts, avg 30.09, econ 3.37 SR 53.9
onions 71 matches, 230 wkts, avg 30.10, econ 3.59 SR 50.2
swann 191 matches, 507 wkts, avg 32.81, econ 3.00 SR 65.6
sidebottom 138 matches, 445 wkts, avg 25.78, econ 2.81 SR 55
anderson 101 matches, 361 wkts, avg 28.96, econ 3.37 SR 51.5

cant see too much difference in FC record to tell that these bowlers have far better impressive FC record than the one played today

al-Sagar
March 7, 2010, 09:00 AM
No one rates Ajmal Shahzad in England, he has been picked for his all round abilities just like Plunkett. England are selecting players on abilities rather than stats now after the retirement of Flintoff.

Most bowlers in England average over 30 in county cricket, England have been lucky that Broad and Anderson have become good bowlers in test cricket. Anderson in particular took a long time to perform well in tests, he was also picked for his talent before not stats.

what u prefer for selecting a player Stats or abilty or talent ???

al-Sagar
March 7, 2010, 09:03 AM

and is what is SHAHZADA's case for selection: Stats or ability or talent ???

Ahmed_B
March 7, 2010, 09:35 AM
[বাংলা]একটা প্র্যাক্টিস ম্যাচে একটা সেঞ্চুরী...আর ভুরি ভুরি প্রশংসার বন্যা...হায়রে বাংলার দর্শক। এভাবেই বোধ হয় আমরা আমাদের প্লেয়ারদের মাথা নষ্ট করি![/বাংলা]

FagunerAgun
March 7, 2010, 10:16 AM
Good news but needs to prove more before comes back to the team.

simon
March 7, 2010, 10:17 AM
[বাংলা]একটা প্র্যাক্টিস ম্যাচে একটা সেঞ্চুরী...আর ভুরি ভুরি প্রশংসার বন্যা...হায়রে বাংলার দর্শক। এভাবেই বোধ হয় আমরা আমাদের প্লেয়ারদের মাথা নষ্ট করি![/বাংলা]

Don't take it negatively.
Rock was dropped,so it's appreciated more as he is trying to come back with a century today,we desperately need a n°4 btsmn.
This support shd inspire him.

One World
March 7, 2010, 10:28 AM
Congratz! Rok 106 - Ash 0

khalek
March 7, 2010, 10:29 AM
and is what is SHAHZADA's case for selection: Stats or ability or talent ???

They picked Rubel based on his talent and ability to bowl fast but he's been failing continuously and making us lose so many games. I don't see any harm in giving a bowler who has been a top performer at domestic level a go and see how he goes rather than sticking with a bowler who goes at 6 runs per over at an average of 50, that is as bad as any bowler can get.

Yes I mentioned Anderson was picked on his talent but he wasn't as terrible as Rubel! Forget it why are we even comparing Anderson with Rubel.

fwullah
March 7, 2010, 10:31 AM
^^ For sure, Ashrafool should take a break from cricket for at least a year.

Yes, Try and finish HSC pass. Concentrate on studies.

khalek
March 7, 2010, 10:33 AM
This is what he faced today ......

Ajmal Shahzad 22 matches, 53 wkts, avg 35.03, econ 3.64 SR 62.4
Bresnan 87 matches, 222 wkts, avg 32.32, econ 3.12 SR 62.1
Plunkett 85 matches, 266 wkts, avg 30.15, econ 3.64 SR 49.6
steve Finn 31 matches, 94 wkts, avg 31.93, econ 3.70 SR 51.6
Tredwell 88 matches, 223 wkts, avg 36.73, econ 3.19 SR 68.9

if that is not impressive first class record than what is impressive first class record ???

any this is what was missing from England today

broad 65 matches, 214 wkts, avg 30.09, econ 3.37 SR 53.9
onions 71 matches, 230 wkts, avg 30.10, econ 3.59 SR 50.2
swann 191 matches, 507 wkts, avg 32.81, econ 3.00 SR 65.6
sidebottom 138 matches, 445 wkts, avg 25.78, econ 2.81 SR 55
anderson 101 matches, 361 wkts, avg 28.96, econ 3.37 SR 51.5

cant see too much difference in FC record to tell that these bowlers have far better impressive FC record than the one played today

What you were trying to say in your post that any bowler getting in the England team is just top class. The answer is 'no'. A bowling attack of Bresnan, Ajmal and Plunkett are yet to be proven a threat at test match level and they will still be considered a second XI England bowling attack. The main difference between those 2 batches of bowlers are the wickets and experience at the test level, Anderson, Broad, Onions, Swann, Sidebottom cannot be compared to Bresnan, Plunkett and Ajmal because they've played many more test matches than them and have got a lot more wickets than them obviously.

auntu
March 7, 2010, 10:49 AM
[বাংলা]সহী... তবে পোলাডা ভালাই খেলছে... স্রোতের বিপরীতে দাঁড়িয়ে... [/বাংলা]

auntu
March 7, 2010, 10:50 AM
http://www.cricinfo.com/db/PICTURES/CMS/114900/114979.jpg
Raqibul Hasan sweeps during his unbeaten 107, Bangladesh A v England XI, tour match, Chittagong, 1st day, March 7, 2010

al-Sagar
March 7, 2010, 11:07 AM
They picked Rubel based on his talent and ability to bowl fast but he's been failing continuously and making us lose so many games. I don't see any harm in giving a bowler who has been a top performer at domestic level a go and see how he goes rather than sticking with a bowler who goes at 6 runs per over at an average of 50, that is as bad as any bowler can get.

Yes I mentioned Anderson was picked on his talent but he wasn't as terrible as Rubel! Forget it why are we even comparing Anderson with Rubel.

what i remember of anderson is he was first picked for england in an australia tour. unfortuantely some of englands main bowlers got injured and fortunately the needed urgent replacement, anderson was touring australia for some other age group or academy team and england decided to include him rather than flying someone else from england.

any way it was a nice debate with you. i enjoyed it.

so the last thing i want to say, i hated raqibul a lot. i have two-three anti raqibul threads here. but after todays innings i am starting to believe he may have something to offer for bangladesh. yes the bowling attack was not extraordinary. in fact i dont rate englands main attack that much. but this attack isn't that much behind the main string attack. but still a good attack, may be unproven in test matches, but proven in FC matches. and this was a FC match not test match.

anyway if england cannot get onions and broad fit, this will be the attack we will have to face. swann will come in for one of the pacers. so lets see how our test batsmen fare against a UNPROVEN in test england attack.

good luck BD

mishu
March 7, 2010, 11:10 AM
congratulations to Rock, he showed he deserves his place in the team...even if he perform bad in test against england he shud still stay, cas he he will develop to a much better player than what he is..

khalek
March 7, 2010, 11:20 AM
what i remember of anderson is he was first picked for england in an australia tour. unfortuantely some of englands main bowlers got injured and fortunately the needed urgent replacement, anderson was touring australia for some other age group or academy team and england decided to include him rather than flying someone else from england.

any way it was a nice debate with you. i enjoyed it.

so the last thing i want to say, i hated raqibul a lot. i have two-three anti raqibul threads here. but after todays innings i am starting to believe he may have something to offer for bangladesh. yes the bowling attack was not extraordinary. in fact i dont rate englands main attack that much. but this attack isn't that much behind the main string attack. but still a good attack, may be unproven in test matches, but proven in FC matches. and this was a FC match not test match.

anyway if england cannot get onions and broad fit, this will be the attack we will have to face. swann will come in for one of the pacers. so lets see how our test batsmen fare against a UNPROVEN in test england attack.

good luck BD

Yeah it is indeed an ideal opportunity for the BD batsmen to score loads of runs against these inexperienced England bowlers. Broad might not make it for the first test and Onions, is he even in BD? Another good thing is that Bresnan and Plunkett combined have only 11 tests between them and Ajmal is still uncapped so really BD should not let go off this opportunity.

Zobair
March 7, 2010, 11:26 AM
IMO, he is an vital part of Bangladesh's test future if he can fulfil his promise...he has a sensible head on his shoulders...and a decent technique...it is good to see that he can respond under pressure! At the end of the day, he can only face the bowlers that the opposition serves up and he has done well in this instance...building a responsible low-risk innings as test knocks should be.

AK420
March 7, 2010, 11:41 AM
Rock might have rocked today. I believe that he is much better than Zuna and Fool bhai. Honestly, he is hundred times better than Ullah during the mid overs in odi. At least he has got the commitment to rotate strike, prevent collapse of the litter, and take some risks if neccessary. Sooner or later, he might become the wall of Bangladesh.

AK420
March 7, 2010, 11:47 AM
He the man:notworthy:

Ajfar
March 7, 2010, 11:53 AM
Congrats nirala.

for those who are talking about England's bowling quality being not that great, let me ask you this question, say we beat England in this coming series, will the world put an asterisk next to our win cause their bowling attack was untested?

capslock
March 7, 2010, 11:54 AM
Threads like this is exactly the problem, on the one hand we criticize Siddons for focusing on 'individual improvements', but as soon as a batsman scores a century is losing cause (all too often these days) we trip over ourselves to make 'congratulations' threads over it.

Ajfar
March 7, 2010, 11:58 AM
Threads like this is exactly the problem, on the one hand we criticize Siddons for focusing on 'individual improvements', but as soon as a batsman scores a century is losing cause (all too often these days) we trip over ourselves to make 'congratulations' threads over it.

I think we are still getting used to our players getting hundred so often, that wasn't the case before I guess it was ok to celebrate it, but now we fans need to move on from those days.

BD-Shardul
March 7, 2010, 12:04 PM

I think people are here more appreciating Rok's determination and his ability to respond by performing when under pressure. Look at Ash. How did this 50+ test, 150+ test veteran respond?

Congrats Rokibul. Never lost faith on you even when the days you scored duck. Wish you all the best in the first test.

Tiger444
March 7, 2010, 12:36 PM
congrats rock..very well played under pressure..i think we should not glorify him so much as this is just a practice match and it is the 2nd string english attack but everyone else failed so he must have done something right while everyone struggled, this should get him in2 the test team now over aftab..i have never lost faith in roqibul, in fact i am one of his biggest supporters here for him..what i like about him is that hes a gritty, hard working player who puts a price on his wicket which is quite rare with the other bangladeshi batsmen..a great thing about him is that he is a very cool headed and responsibile player..hes a player we absolutely need in the team but he like every1 had got 2 perform..its great he played well yesterday but hes gotta continue the good work..good job roqibul..i have faith in that you will be one of our finest batsmen!!

wiseshah
March 7, 2010, 12:43 PM
I congratulate him for his fighting to come back.
it shows real character.
real fighting spirit.
<br />Posted via BC Mobile Edition

wiseshah
March 7, 2010, 12:43 PM
Century will boost his confidence

AsifTheManRahman
March 7, 2010, 12:46 PM
Indeed indeed. The selectors would do good to think twice before including him in the Test squad against England. Does he need some more time before coming back strongly? The selectors are in the best position to tell and I hope whatever it is that they decide, they don't screw this one up.

Orpheus
March 7, 2010, 01:25 PM
Indeed indeed. The selectors would do good to think twice before including him in the Test squad against England. Does he need some more time before coming back strongly? The selectors are in the best position to tell and I hope whatever it is that they decide, they don't screw this one up.

Well it's either him or zunaid!! I think Aftab will play. So it's a matter of coin toss. they both suck and are good on their day. But since he performed I would obviously lean toward his inclusion....Let's see what happens in second innings. Maybe ash will hit 50 ball 200. then waht.

babubangla
March 7, 2010, 01:28 PM

[বাংলা]
ব্যাটিং অর্ডারের তিন আর চার নম্বর পজিশনে ইনফর্ম ব্যাটসম্যানের বড়ই আকাল!
জ়ুনায়েদ ঠিক মতো জ্বলছে না, আফতাবের অস্ফূট আস্ফালন টেস্ট ম্যাচে চলে না, আইসিএলের হয়ে গলাবাজী করে শাহরিয়ার নাফিস এখন এতই শরমিন্দা যে তার ব্যাটিং স্টাইলেই একটা লজ্জা লজ্জা ভাব আর আশরাফুল তো এখন মজা মারে ফজা ভাই মুডে আছে। এই অবস্থায় প্র্যাকটিস ম্যাচে সিনা টানটান করে দাঁড়িয়ে একটা ফাইটিং ইনিংস, তা যতই ঝড়ে মরা বগ বা গোবরে পদ্মফুল হোক না কেন, লোডশেডিং-এর পর হঠাৎ আলোর ঝলকানিতে গনঊল্লাসের মতো পাবলিককে উল্লসিত করবেই। এমন একটা ইনিংস এখন আমাদের ক্রিকেটানুরাগী কোকো ভাই খেললেও পাবলিক তা নিয়ে লাফাতো! [/বাংলা]

simon
March 7, 2010, 01:34 PM
[বাংলা]
জ়ুনায়েদ ঠিক মতো জ্বলছে না, আফতাবের অস্ফূট আস্ফালন টেস্ট ম্যাচে চলে না, আইসিএলের হয়ে গলাবাজী করে শাহরিয়ার নাফিস এখন এতই শরমিন্দা যে তার ব্যাটিং স্টাইলেই একটা লজ্জা লজ্জা ভাব আর আশরাফুল তো এখন মজা মারে ফজা ভাই মুডে আছে। এই অবস্থায় প্র্যাকটিস ম্যাচে সিনা টানটান করে দাঁড়িয়ে একটা ফাইটিং ইনিংস, তা যতই ঝড়ে মরা বগ বা গোবরে পদ্মফুল হোক না কেন, লোডশেডিং-এর পর হঠাৎ আলোর ঝলকানিতে গনঊল্লাসের মতো পাবলিককে উল্লসিত করবেই। এমন একটা ইনিংস এখন আমাদের ক্রিকেটানুরাগী কোকো ভাই খেললেও পাবলিক তা নিয়ে লাফাতো! [/বাংলা]

agree!:-D

BD-Shardul
March 7, 2010, 01:54 PM

So are you indirectly saying that we should select Ash over Rokibul to fill the middle order vacancy?

revolver
March 7, 2010, 01:54 PM
congratulation to rok

AsifTheManRahman
March 7, 2010, 02:09 PM
So are you indirectly saying that we should select Ash over Rokibul to fill the middle order vacancy?
Nope. I'm saying the selectors need to think about this and if they believe Rokibul is ready to be back then by all means bring him back. I don't have the luxury of watching him up close. I like the Rock and I hope when he does come back, he doesn't get dropped again soon after.

My ideal XI at this point involves Nayeem Islam, Mahmudullah Riyad and Mushfiqur Rahim batting in the middle order. Now we all know that's not gonna happen.

dolcevita
March 7, 2010, 02:58 PM
It seem in 2010 BD batsmen will score more century then last 9 years...

chol_bd123
March 7, 2010, 04:00 PM
yup.

simon
March 7, 2010, 04:07 PM
It seem in 2010 BD batsmen will score more century then last 9 years...

think so too.

Tiger444
March 7, 2010, 04:15 PM
Even though Rock just hit a century, I still think they have to consider whether they should put him right back in2 the lineup..in my opinion i would drop imrul from the team because he's just been absolute crap so far in tests..have been really happy with him in ODIs with such a high average so far but tests has been a totally different story..9 tests in 18 innings with no fifties and average of just a 13.72 is very weak 2 say the least..i would actually have zunaed in there as opposed 2 imrul as he has shown that he can at least build big partnerships with tamim..i think naeem also deserves some chacnes to showcase his skills..lot of us questions the selectors have 2 answer..interested in what they do..

Sohel
March 7, 2010, 09:08 PM
Didn't see the innings, go going by the number and reports alone.

Scoring a longer version 100 against a test playing nation, especially with the type of cricket culture and infrastructure of England have, is always praiseworthy for a Bangladeshi batsman. We are not Australia, so lets not harp too much on the "quality" of the English attack. Heartfelt congrats to Da Rok! ... :applause:

Batting in the longer version is HARDER, because there's no field restriction to favor the batsman. So heartfelt congrats to Da Rok! ... :applause:

Responding to pressure with this 100 shows determination and character for an out-of-form-and-favor young Bangladeshi batsman with limited ability but extraordinary work ethic. So heartfelt congrats to Da Rok! ... :applause:

I hope that this can be a watershed innings he can build on, something he failed to do after that FC 300 when we hoped the same. The English would make adjustments and come at him with a plan in the real dance, and we will find out how he responds to those adjustments. Wish him all the best.

Tigers_eye
March 7, 2010, 09:21 PM

Batting in the longer version is HARDER, because there's no field restriction to favor the batsman. So heartfelt congrats to Da Rok! ... :applause:....
Sohel bhai,
field restriction kills us. :lol:

Tiger444
March 7, 2010, 09:33 PM
Raqibul, however, showed far greater powers of durability, as he produced a Test standard response to adversity. He brought up his half-century from 82 balls by sweeping Tredwell through midwicket for consecutive boundaries, and when he began to run out of partners with his hundred looming, he raised his game once again, belting Tredwell down the ground for a one-bounce four, before hoisting him through wide long-on to reach his milestone from 150 deliveries. He had been dropped for the recent Test in New Zealand following scores of 4 and 5 against India last month, but this was an innings that showcased his full credentials.

"When a player loses his place from the main team, he always feels some kind of pressure. But I took it all positively and accepted the challenge," said Raqibul. "I was not worried about it. When I went to the wicket, I decided whatever happens I will stay positive, and after tea, when I was running short of partners, I decided to attack the spinner [Tredwell], because the boundary was shorter from his end."

http://www.cricinfo.com/bdeshveng2010/content/story/451033.html

This is the type of batsman we need..kudos 2 roqibul..i've never really heard roqibul speak much because he isnt the focal point of the team even though he is an important part of the team..but i really like his attitude..he had pressure like ash but responded very well..playing 40 straight ODIs and 8 tests without getting dropped and now all of a sudden getting booted from the team is definitely not fun..he has played a lot of games 4 us and the pressure was on him..i bet he proved a lot of people wrong here and the other bangladeshis in general..very happy 4 him but he still has 2 perform in the real tests..

al-Sagar
March 7, 2010, 09:42 PM
Didn't see the innings, go going by the number and reports alone.

Scoring a longer version 100 against a test playing nation with the type of cricket culture and infrastructure of England is always praiseworthy, especially for a Bangladeshi batsman. We are not Australia, so lets not harp too much on the "quality" of the English attack. Heartfelt congrats to Da Rok! ... :applause:

Batting in the longer version is HARDER, because there's no field restriction to favor the batsman. So heartfelt congrats to Da Rok! ... :applause:

Responding to pressure with this 100 shows determination and character for an out-of-form-and-favor young Bangladeshi batsman with limited ability but extraordinary work ethic. So heartfelt congrats to Da Rok! ... :applause:

I hope that this can be a watershed innings he can builds on, something he failed to do after that FC 300 when we hoped the same. The English would make adjustments and come at him with a plan in the real dance, and we will find out how he responds to those adjustments. Wish him all the best.

i think raqibul found it harder when he was given the go in international stage. i remember the senior raqibul hasan of BD was a fan of the new Raqibul hasan and he said we should wait another 1-2 years for raqibul to develop and then let him go in the national fold coz he predicted raqibul will find it hard. and looks like that happened. he struggled with adapting with level of quality of bowling and also roles he had to play for. he was low in confidence. now this innings innings could be the confidence booster form him. now if selected in the next match if he can get a decent score he will be back in form. but if he gets back to his 20-30s then it will be a bigger problem for him.

bdtiger
March 7, 2010, 09:57 PM
Well done Rokibul!! Hope the form will continue in test series.

akabir77
March 7, 2010, 10:03 PM
[বাংলা]

really missed you... lol:notworthy:

KnightBD
March 7, 2010, 10:20 PM
Rakibul in.
Ash out.
;)

bujhee kom
March 7, 2010, 10:31 PM
Rock Rock Roqibul! The Holy Dome of Rock!

shovon13
March 7, 2010, 10:58 PM
he should definitely be included in the squad for the first test. this isn't a situation where we have a newcomer who has never been tested in the international arena. This guy has been a cornerstone of our middle order for more than a year. If he says he is ready to come back, we should take him into the first test against England.

Ahmed_B
March 7, 2010, 11:43 PM
Well..its very much likely that he will be included in the coming test squad. Roqibul does look like a good future prospect. But more than that...we arnt left with much choices either. This has been the story of our selection-and-rejection-cycle for quite some time now. We're not really able to judge a player for considerable long time before letting him in the squad. Neither are we able to keep players under observation once they have been taken out of the team because of not-so-promising performance. 2 Fifties..or 1 Hundred is always good enough to be picked for the team..or for being re-called. A spot in the national team is so much like an easy-come-easy-go thing..

Nocturnal
March 8, 2010, 02:23 AM
S. Rasel picked up an injury yesterday and start of today's play our A team coach and captain asked if Syed Rasel could be replaced by Mahbubul, england coach said YES and there you go - this practice match is no longer a First Class match anymore. damn!

anyhow, well done Rock. bye bye ash the fool!

Tiger Manc
March 8, 2010, 09:29 AM
Congratulations Raqibul on your century and half century. He's scored 212 runs against England in 4 innings at an average of 106. He's got to be in the Test team based on this form.

auntu
March 8, 2010, 09:43 AM
Good that he is showing consistency.
I hope he hasn't played all his present quota yet.

al-Sagar
March 8, 2010, 09:43 AM
now seeing raqibul performing, the likes of tamim, shakib, mushfiq, riadh should realize if they play well and dont give their wicket away, bangladesh can avoid defeat against england.

by avoiding defeat u may draw or win. but plz, avoid defeat.

Morpheous
March 8, 2010, 09:54 AM
Yes, Try and finish HSC pass. Concentrate on studies.

"Concentrate on studies"...lol...Aftab and Ashraful they both took HSC Exam and I think both failed......their Examination appearance came to national media

Tigers_eye
Look at the other side of the coin.

With out performance, we are the same fans who sream

He has an excellent technique but was just unlucky.

His talent alone would be enough to fend off others.

Domestic matches are not a good gauge, so failure means nothing.

Morpheous
Definitely Rock in 107 and 50* cant argue with that

Tigers_eye
March 8, 2010, 09:55 AM
[বাংলা]
More please!!!

And he is not done yet.

AsifTheManRahman
March 8, 2010, 10:09 AM
Very happy for Raqibul. Hope he converts this to another 100 tomorrow.

skhondoker
March 8, 2010, 10:10 AM
Rock is definitely in the squad...It was good to see him come back with runs against a formidable attack and opposition. Self confidence would boost. Now remain the slots of Zunaed and Ash....

simon
March 8, 2010, 10:53 AM
impressive stuff from Rakib.
He is as solid as a Rock.
Even if he doesn't score in the 1st test,he shld be in the team for the 2nd aswell.

RazabQ
March 8, 2010, 02:51 PM
@ATMR - if you saw how Naeem struggled against Peterson's part-time spin during the 3rd ODI, you'd not be so eager to promote him. No strike rotation at all!!!! Not talking about big-hits, just simple maneuver the ball into the gaps - and he was pathetic at it.

dolcevita
March 8, 2010, 03:18 PM
@ATMR - if you saw how Naeem struggled against Peterson's part-time spin during the 3rd ODI, you'd not be so eager to promote him. No strike rotation at all!!!! Not talking about big-hits, just simple maneuver the ball into the gaps - and he was pathetic at it.

You can ad MR Mahmudullah in your list .
We were in strong position Shakib was really on song he would have shown to Pieterson who is the boss
But BANGLA umper kill him and kill us

Fazal
March 8, 2010, 03:34 PM
Yes, actua;lly it was Ryiad's batting that was more painful to watch, considering he came earlyer and stayed longer and killed any hope of a chase. That's when we started playing like we gave up and practicing for TEST.

RazabQ
March 8, 2010, 03:44 PM
@Fazal - but aren't you a big fan of Riyadh in both ODI and Test team? You were also calling for his promotion up the order right? (too lazy to go and dig up all your posts) :)

Fazal
March 8, 2010, 03:51 PM
@Fazal - but aren't you a big fan of Riyadh in both ODI and Test team? You were also calling for his promotion up the order right? (too lazy to go and dig up all your posts) :)

Yes you are right. And Still I think he (along with Naeem, deserve a promotion in the batting order.

To be fair with Neem, In 3rd ODi Ryiad was more dispointing with batting than Naeem. But its just one game and sh$ts happens. Thats why based on just one bad performance, I am not going to change my mind about Riyad's or Naeem's batting capability.

Plus may be we are giving less credit to Peterson's bolwing just based on that he is a part time bowler.

RazabQ
March 8, 2010, 03:57 PM
Fazal, Riyadh & Naeem were disappointing in the 2nd ODI as well when I felt they were too happy with a the middling total we had. The best explanation I've heard about Riyadh's looking woe-fully out of form through-out all 3 ODIs is the one offered by former Premier League playing friend. He asserts that Riyadh is more comfortably on flat or bouncy tracks where the ball comes to bat easily. The tri-series had flat wickets and New Zealand had bouncy ones - so he looked good in both. He's not a natural stroke-maker and plays with hard wrists (my observations). Hence on slower pitches, where one has to maneuver the ball or wait on it, he is ineffective (back to my friend).

Naeem on the other hand needs to decide what he wants to be. He had a 100 in the A tour to Ireland where everyone else struggled on the green tops - so clearly he has some skills. I just don't think they are ready for the Test side yet. As it is, with Aftab staying and Rok coming in, there's no place for him anyway in the Test side.

Tiger444
March 8, 2010, 03:58 PM
Yes you are right. And Still I think he (along with Naeem, deserve a promotion in the batting order.

To be fair with Neem, In 3rd ODi Ryiad was more dispointing with batting than Naeem. But its just one game and sh$ts happens. Thats why based on just one bad performance, I am not going to change my mind about Riyad's or Naeem's batting capability.

Plus may be we are giving less credit to Peterson's bolwing just based on that he is a part time bowler.

its the common problem with our batsmen..its not only mahmudullah, naeem, and rocky..pretty much all our batsmen struggle 2 rotate the strike which is the reason we struggle..they have that first gear where they can block and the 4th gear whether they can accelerate and hit boundaries but the middle gears where they have 2 hit those 1s and 2s..even ash, shakib and tamim also have that problem 2..we have 2 learn that we dont have 2 blast the balls 2 get good scores..playing with soft hands and picking the gaps for singles and then at the end going for boundaries are a much better strategy..hopefully with time we get better at this but in my opinion i think this is the main reason as we are not really improving our batting..if we improve on this, then i can see more improvements in the team..

BD-Shardul
March 8, 2010, 04:04 PM
About Mahmudullah- Ask Shobha.

About Nayeem and Mushy - jar pola take jiggesh koren (ATMR)

AsifTheManRahman
March 8, 2010, 05:41 PM
Riyad and Nayeem are better players than they have shown in these ODIs. I didn't watch the batting in the third ODI but have heard (and now been told in this thread) that both of these guys were painful to watch, but in general Riyad has been a decent rotator throughout his career and so has Nayeem.

It'll be interesting to see what Riyad does with his sluggish pitch woes and how Nayeem fares once/if they let him bat in the middle order for a while.

al-Sagar
March 12, 2010, 01:11 AM
SORRY RAQIBUL. i take my congratz back.

u were not scoring those hundreds and fifties for coming back and performing for ur country. u were playing to make a come back then do this premeditated retirement thing. so u always had this in ur mind.

sorry.

Ajfar
March 12, 2010, 01:52 AM
Rakib was being really selfish, and i'm sure he'll regret his mistake in the near future, but I just wanted to point out one thing, see how our boys can get the job done if they are determined. Rakib was determined to score runs and he did, because that was his way of getting back at the selectors. Even though rakib is a really bad example to follow I wouldn't find if some of our guys take the same kind of determination he had.

WarWolf
March 12, 2010, 02:50 AM
Roc proved himself to be the greatest selfish player ever born in Bangladesh. Sorry mate. As you don't care about me (a normal fan), I don't care about you.

wiseshah
March 12, 2010, 02:54 AM
this is end of rokibul's career i guess

auntu
March 12, 2010, 09:42 AM
I want to have my congrats back also.
What you've done was not good at all. And I'm not posting this whimsically. I took time to understand the situation and came to understand that you have cheated us. Yes, you have no right to play with our emotions and still not in a position to make us understand what really happen. Your silence is not helping us.

I only feel sorry for your 80+ years old father and your family, your sisters, your mother, your brother but I have no sympathy for you.

magic boy
March 12, 2010, 10:52 AM
so we have been taught a very valuable lesson....don't open thread unless its an international century !!

al-Sagar
March 12, 2010, 11:25 AM
so we have been taught a very valuable lesson....don't open thread unless its an international century !!

and wait a week or two to see whether he continues playing or retires

dolcevita
March 12, 2010, 02:57 PM
Roc proved himself to be the greatest selfish player ever born in Bangladesh. Sorry mate. As you don't care about me (a normal fan), I don't care about you.

Poor stuff young man