PDA

View Full Version : Hotel Peninsula and Stuart Broad's back

Miraz
March 9, 2010, 05:27 AM
According Sturat Broad Hotel Peninsula (which is a 3 star hotel) has beds equivalent to boundary board. The hard bed was giving him lots of discomfort and now he is sleeping on pure foam which is lot more comfortable and other teammates have followed suit.

http://www.cricinfo.com/bdeshveng2010/content/current/story/451179.html

I find it incredible. My experience with this hotel in Chittagong and other hotels in Dhaka is quite the opposite. Some of these hotels are in some ways better than the three star hotels I have stayed in UK and even in the USA. I have never heard anything like this from any touring team members before. Australia, South Africa, New Zealand and India have stayed in Peninsula before and there wasn't even a single word about the facilities.

Is it the snobbish English players again trying to undermine Bangladesh's sporting and accomodation facilities? or, Hotel Peninsula has really gone that bad!!

I find it more damaging than Collingwood's wooden club jibe. Collingwood's comment was due to his ignorance for which he has apologised after finding the excellent golf facilities, but Broad's claim is after first hand experience.

Hotel Peninsula must come up with an explanation, this is damaging for them but more damaging for Bangladesh.

magic boy
March 9, 2010, 05:33 AM
[বাংলা]"নাচতে না জানলে উঠান বাঁকা"?[/বাংলা] :-p

auntu
March 9, 2010, 08:00 AM
This is irritating. Yes Hotel Peninsula should come with a proper explanation of this.

fais
March 9, 2010, 08:01 AM
well if they are so "luxury" demanding why they hell didn't they stay at the 5 star hotel

BD-Shardul
March 9, 2010, 10:15 AM
This is the website of Chittagong Hotel Peninsula:

http://www.peninsulactg.com/

Doesn't seem to me that it's bed could be like a boundary board.

SMHasan
March 9, 2010, 10:33 AM
I commented on the story. This English people are very snobby and very disturbing indeed.

Tigers_eye
March 9, 2010, 10:36 AM
The English commentator (can't remember the name) during the 3rd ODI took a jab at Collingwood. Didn't do it directly but said...

I have played in two beautiful golf courses. One in Dhaka and one here. Top class!! etc. etc.

Not all English are the same. :)

Tigers_eye
March 9, 2010, 10:42 AM
As for Broad, I would put some spikes under his mattress. He needs to know how the ball feels when he mauls it with the spike. :)

uss01
March 9, 2010, 10:43 AM
I don't think it was snobbish, but a bit harsh. Many people have problems sleeping in hotel beds as they are too used to their own beds at home. BTW I read yesterday in the daily star that some company is going to build a 5 star hotel in Chittagong soon; Westin Chittagong. Hopefully that will give visitors to the city some more bed options :).

http://www.thedailystar.net/newDesign/news-details.php?nid=129250

Nocturnal
March 9, 2010, 10:54 AM
The English commentator (can't remember the name) during the 3rd ODI took a jab at Collingwood. Didn't do it directly but said...

I have played in two beautiful golf courses. One in Dhaka and one here. Top class!! etc. etc.

David Lloyd!

Ananna
March 9, 2010, 11:27 AM
According Sturat Broad Hotel Peninsula (which is a 3 star hotel) has beds equivalent to boundary board. The hard bed was giving him lots of discomfort and now he is sleeping on pure foam which is lot more comfortable and other teammates have followed suit.

http://www.cricinfo.com/bdeshveng2010/content/current/story/451179.html

I find it incredible. My experience with this hotel in Chittagong and other hotels in Dhaka is quite the opposite. Some of these hotels are in some ways better than the three star hotels I have stayed in UK and even in the USA. I have never heard anything like this from any touring team members before. Australia, South Africa, New Zealand and India have stayed in Peninsula before and there wasn't even a single word about the facilities.

Is it the snobbish English players again trying to undermine Bangladesh's sporting and accomodation facilities? or, Hotel Peninsula has really gone that bad!!

I find it more damaging than Collingwood's wooden club jibe. Collingwood's comment was due to his ignorance for which he has apologised after finding the excellent golf facilities, but Broad's claim is after first hand experience.

Hotel Peninsula must come up with an explanation, this is damaging for them but more damaging for Bangladesh.

Thats why they are called 'Nak Ucha British'.

Baundule
March 9, 2010, 11:57 AM
Hard matress is prescribed for back pain. So, if I were in the BCB, I would have ordered a half meter deep foam-bed for him.

Btw, I find the hotel very expensive, because it is only a three star hotel and also in a low living cost country like Bangladesh.

SMHasan
March 9, 2010, 12:08 PM

David Lloyd it was.

Not all of them are same but the who is critical, is extremely critical.

Rabz
March 9, 2010, 12:23 PM
May be he is already crappin in his pants knowing the nature of Chittagong pitch.
He'd get a zilch out of it.
So, already making excuses.

Bancan
March 9, 2010, 12:45 PM
O cmon...

People have problems with different types of mattresses. Nothing snobbish.

Beamer
March 9, 2010, 12:49 PM
I don't know why a thread is needed for this insignificant info? Is everything negative or perceived snide tantamount to national insult? We sound like a bunch of kids suffering from inferiority complex who constantly need to be patted on the back. The guy has back spasm from playing, which can be very painful, and need to be loosened up before he can engage on field. The beds didn't cause the spasm. Playing and bowling did. I am sure, if one of us are suffering from some illness, we would also look for ways to alleviate it. Changing the mattress is his way of dealing with it. I won't blame him for that. When our players go overseas and complain about lack of 'home cooked food", I don't see their fans opening threads about BD players insulting their nations lack of culinary diversity. They don't care. Neither should we.

AsifTheManRahman
March 9, 2010, 12:52 PM
We sound like a bunch of kids suffering from inferiority complex who constantly need to be patted on the back.
Couldn't put it any better myself.

Zunaid
March 9, 2010, 01:07 PM
What #16 and #17 said

We all need a skin transplant.

Imtiazk
March 9, 2010, 01:08 PM
This is the website of Chittagong Hotel Peninsula:

http://www.peninsulactg.com/

Doesn't seem to me that it's bed could be like a boundary board.

What ? This is a 3 star hotel ! Really ? The county cricketers sleep in B&B's.

kalpurush
March 9, 2010, 01:08 PM
Come to my place - http://www.fairmont.com/empress/ about 24% of our guests order bed and about 39 % of our guests order pillows from us while they stay at The Empress. :)

PM me if anyone is interested...!;) Complimentary stay for Sturat Broad!!

Imtiazk
March 9, 2010, 01:17 PM

That was Bob Willis. He even had good words to say on the last tour. Deliberately forcing Vaughan to say good words about Sonargaon.

I recall Willis commenting on the Circuit House in Chittagong and telling viewers that these circuit houses were the places to stay in past MCC tours of the sub-continent.

Comforts have gone a long way since then. These are a bunch of underperforming snobbish brats !

I am getting a funny feeling about this test. I see Bangladesh quietly gaining in confidence now that we have at least 4 batsmen who believe and we believe that they can score big scores. Tamim, Mushfiq, Sakib and Mahmudullah. Rakib had a good game and I have a sneaking suspicion that Aftab might play in his home town. His 46 was actually quite good. Imrul will play too and he has been amongst the runs lately !

kalpurush
March 9, 2010, 01:50 PM
I am getting a funny feeling about this test. I see Bangladesh quietly gaining in confidence now that we have at least 4 batsmen who believe and we believe that they can score big scores. Tamim, Mushfiq, Sakib and Mahmudullah. Rakib had a good game and I have a sneaking suspicion that Aftab might play in his home town. His 46 was actually quite good. Imrul will play too and he has been amongst the runs lately !
I do NOT get a funny feeling though! about the 1st Test!;)

^^^ kids are eager to deliver and want results -unlike their parents/grandparents!
Three 50's and a ton (or, close to) could put us on the top, which they are capable of, and Ice Man's magic will do the rest... I can see that :)

BD-Shardul
March 9, 2010, 02:12 PM
I don't know why a thread is needed for this insignificant info? Is everything negative or perceived snide tantamount to national insult? We sound like a bunch of kids suffering from inferiority complex who constantly need to be patted on the back. The guy has back spasm from playing, which can be very painful, and need to be loosened up before he can engage on field. The beds didn't cause the spasm. Playing and bowling did. I am sure, if one of us are suffering from some illness, we would also look for ways to alleviate it. Changing the mattress is his way of dealing with it. I won't blame him for that. When our players go overseas and complain about lack of 'home cooked food", I don't see their fans opening threads about BD players insulting their nations lack of culinary diversity. They don't care. Neither should we.

:down::down::down::down::down:

auntu
March 9, 2010, 03:08 PM
Hard matress is prescribed for back pain. So, if I were in the BCB, I would have ordered a half meter deep foam-bed for him.

Btw, I find the hotel very expensive, because it is only a three star hotel and also in a low living cost country like Bangladesh.
Absolutely. I'm also using a hard mattress as I've back pain problem.

RazabQ
March 9, 2010, 04:24 PM
What #16, #17 and #18 said

Miraz
March 9, 2010, 04:44 PM
#16, #17, #18 and #25 have said some excellent words and they have developed some thick skin either naturally or implanted, but unfortunately I haven't reached their level yet!

I am staying in England and the snobbish attitude of British public towards Bangladesh is nothing new to me. If it was only about Stuart Broad who is suffering from a back injury, I probably would have ignored it. However, I could not ignore when it is reported that "......... now a few of the other lads have followed suit (using foam instead of bed)".

I faced question today from one of my ignorant English friends about the level of facilities in Bangladeshi hotels. He was laughing at the news.

Sorry!! I still could not shed my silly Bangladeshi skin and transplant it with a better one, hopefully one day after few more years in the West I will be able to laugh at these reports.

BD-Shardul
March 9, 2010, 04:52 PM
#16, #17 and #18 and #25 have said some excellent words and they have developed some thick skin either naturally or implanted, but unfortunately I haven't reached their level yet!

I am staying in England and the snobbish attitude of British public towards Bangladesh is nothing new to me. If it was only about Stuart Broad who is suffering from a back injury, I probably would have ignored it. However, I could not ignore when it is reported that "......... now a few of the other lads have followed suit (using foam instead of bed)".

I faced question today from one of my ignorant English friends about the level of facilities in Bangladeshi hotels. He was laughing at the news.

Sorry!! I still could not shed my silly Bangladeshi skin and transplant it with a better one, hopefully one day after few more years in the West I will be able to laugh at these reports.

Same here Dr. M, :notworthy:

Purbasha T
March 9, 2010, 05:12 PM
Amio #26-#27 party :smug: :-p

RazabQ
March 9, 2010, 06:16 PM
@ Miraz, w/o getting into transplant or implant, my response to someone who would have brought up "poor accomodations" would have been to tell them the princess & the pea story. If the Broads of the world want to be treated as princesses then so be it - we ain't buyin.

Orpheus
March 9, 2010, 06:32 PM
What #16 and #17 said

We all need a skin transplant.

y? to make it white? :p

BD-Shardul
March 9, 2010, 06:36 PM
(Googling Razab bhai's P&P story)

Memo to BCB: Bed to prepare for Stuart Broad if he visits Bangladesh again.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/1/12/Edmund_Dulac_-_Princess_and_pea.jpg/452px-Edmund_Dulac_-_Princess_and_pea.jpg

Zeeshan
March 9, 2010, 06:37 PM
Well again the answer to all these conundrums lies in the monotonous, drone of one track broken record namely: "Unless we prove ourselves in the field, we will be continued to be bullied in these ways." Sure these are off field matters but given the calibre that these players displays on field they can literally get away with murder or ex cathedra dropping bombs like "BD is one heinously corrupted country in the world." Solution? To silence them off-field we need to silence them on-field. Rest will fall into place.

Zeeshan
March 9, 2010, 06:38 PM
Hahahahahaah that was hilarious Bd shardul bhai. Lately you have been really coming up with one gem after another. Seems like we are converting you...for the better of it.

Tintin
March 9, 2010, 10:50 PM
I am also with #26 here. Collingwood's was a poor attempt at being funny. Broad's comment is much more irritating as it is neither is it a one-off case and the facilities here are if anything better than what our teams get in England.

Zunaid
March 9, 2010, 11:22 PM
y? to make it white? :p

heh. never thought of that interpretation :) i was suggesting getting a thicker skin... we just get our panties in a wad too easily when some half educated sod makes some snide comments...

Zunaid
March 9, 2010, 11:23 PM
#16, #17, #18 and #25 have said some excellent words and they have developed some thick skin either naturally or implanted, but unfortunately I haven't reached their level yet!

Your Bangladeshi skin is fine just like mine. Perhaps you have to make it a thicker?

bujhee kom
March 9, 2010, 11:33 PM
Hahahahaah...shobai please mone rakhben, Bangladesh ekti shadhinottar chetona, ekti jaatir asha o nyshrogic bhalobasha, ekti maaer aakul hahaakar, ekti mooktijoddha shontaaner hater hatiar, ekri preyoshir abeg bhora akul premer shongjojona....Bangla, ekti bhasha, ekti bot-gaacher niche thikana ebong ekti mookto bihonger porichoy!

beshideshi
March 9, 2010, 11:37 PM
[বাংলা]"নাচতে না জানলে উঠান বাঁকা"?[/বাংলা] :-p

hahahah, reading the first post, I was thinking in my head "nachte na janle uthan beka" and then saw your post

Ajfar
March 10, 2010, 12:48 AM
why do we have to make something out of nothing? why can't it be that Broad really did have a hard time sleeping in that bed? amra hoito mehmaner bashai gele complain kori nah, kintu Broad kore tate khoti ki.

ahms
March 10, 2010, 03:11 AM
May be he is already crappin in his pants knowing the nature of Chittagong pitch.
He'd get a zilch out of it.
So, already making excuses.

He has already been making excuses for not to play.

goru
March 10, 2010, 03:42 AM
I agree with 50% with #1.
#16 and #17 should get a room.
Disagree 100% with #11.
#7 makes a good point.
#31 is comedy gold.
#25 shouldn't be so goddamn lazy.
#37 is bloody useless.
#26 is not necessary.
#32 I just stop reading after 2-3 words.
#41 just loves to have you scrolling up and down.

auntu
March 10, 2010, 05:50 AM
hahahahahaah that was hilarious bd shardul bhai. Lately you have been really coming up with one gem after another. Seems like we are converting you...for the better of it.
[বাংলা]অসৎ সঙ্গে সর্বনাশ। [/বাংলা]

SMHasan
March 10, 2010, 07:35 AM

Exactly. Those who stayed in the UK will understand how we feel.

To the posters who said that we need to thicken our skin: Well...the scenario in the UK is a bit different. It's not like we are mourning about the issue every time nor we are too much excited. It's a just a feeling that British people do not count us.

Mr Broad had back pain but it does not mean that he has to use softer bed! Doctors normally suggests hard beds for back pains- surely it helps. Soft beds make things worse.

By the way, I commented on this story in Cricinfo, but sadly they have not published it yet. My comments were very polite though, surely more polite than those who commented on the story.

pocha
March 10, 2010, 10:14 AM
Why cant we just stay in our own motherland and stop migrating? Then nobody will have to grow any thick skin and live with whatever skin we have. How about Americans and West Europeans flocking to South Asia for jobs/education for a CHANGE and then we return people like Broad a dose of his own medicine?

A distant reality though unless we CHANGE first and dream that way.

MohammedC
March 10, 2010, 11:21 AM
David Lloyd (bumble) thinks peninsula is a very nice hotel. Listen to his blog on skysports.com .
<br />Posted via BC Mobile Edition (iPhone)

Beamer
March 10, 2010, 11:37 AM
I agree with 50% with #1.
#16 and #17 should get a room.
Disagree 100% with #11.
#7 makes a good point.
#31 is comedy gold.
#25 shouldn't be so goddamn lazy.
#37 is bloody useless.
#26 is not necessary.
#32 I just stop reading after 2-3 words.
#41 just loves to have you scrolling up and down.

#16 and #17 has a room with open grassy field in front where #41 usually grazes on 'dubla ghash'

AsifTheManRahman
March 10, 2010, 11:41 AM
Eikhane shobai eke oporke indirect PWN - palta indirect PWN er pallay felche keno?

Purbasha T
March 10, 2010, 11:42 AM
Eikhane shobai eke oporke indirect PWN - palta indirect PWN er pallay felche keno?

Prawn khete bhari mauja, PWN korte aro beshi mauja.

Beamer
March 10, 2010, 11:43 AM

I dunno. But, I am sure what I said won't get through #41 skin. Our bovian friend, by definition, should have a thicker skin.

goru
March 10, 2010, 12:01 PM
:facepalm:

Beamer
March 10, 2010, 12:40 PM
^^^ come on now bro? can't take a little joke?

goru
March 10, 2010, 12:50 PM
^^^ come on now bro? can't take a little joke?

The :facepalm: was directed at the fact that you bothered to respond to an obviously meaningless statement.

(Hint: when I posted #41, I didn't even know which posts I was referring to by any of the numbers... well, except for #1 and #41)

Beamer
March 10, 2010, 12:53 PM
OK..my bad...no more jokes..

goru
March 10, 2010, 12:55 PM
OK..my bad...no more jokes..

:facepalm: x2

Beamer
March 10, 2010, 02:13 PM
koy bar sorry bolbo goru bhai?

capslock
March 10, 2010, 02:33 PM
I am a bit surprised to be honest, I didn't think Miraz would get this bent out of shape over something trivial. Yeah we sleep on hard beds, we're a hard people :-)

Orpheus
March 10, 2010, 07:28 PM
koy bar sorry bolbo goru bhai?

Why did you say sorry to a cow in the first place? Seems like you got thin skin but thick brain - should've been other way around. no?

bujhee kom
March 10, 2010, 09:06 PM
Hahahahah...accha bhais, ki hoeche? Mattresse ki uloosh othoba fleas dekha geche naki, amar mone hoi uloosher kamor khaise mone hoi angrez playerra!

BTW uloosh chinen tow apnara? Uloosh = Ram CharPoka!

Zunaid
March 10, 2010, 09:45 PM
what #87 will say....

Zeeshan
March 10, 2010, 10:02 PM
Let the spamming begin...

Bancan
March 10, 2010, 10:28 PM
what #87 will say....

Crosby:notworthy:

Beamer
March 10, 2010, 10:44 PM
Why did you say sorry to a cow in the first place? Seems like you got thin skin but thick brain - should've been other way around. no?

Yea. I shouldn't have. Obviously the rakhal took notice and asking me why am I talking to his cow. Sorry..you two go on to the goal ghor.

Orpheus
March 10, 2010, 11:03 PM
Top Ten reasons why Stuart Broad's back hurt

10. He was too large to fit in the chittagong bound plane. SO he was tagged and put in the luggage compartment.
9. He was two taka short of getting a softer bed
8. He is faking the back pain to get a free massage from the hotel maid named bilkiss. (She usually gives massage for two takas)
7. Lotus Kamal made him kneel down just to have a better view of Broad's golden hair.
6. He slipped trying to sit on Bangladeshi toilet.
5. He doesn't have a spine to support his back
4. He had gay sex with a midget.
3. He wants a surgery so he can bowl like Mashrafee
2. He is afraid Tamim might top yuvi's record by 1 more six (yuvi hit six 6s in his over)
1. He is a brit!!

mac
March 10, 2010, 11:11 PM

10. He was too large to fit in the chittagong bound plane. SO he was tagged and put in the luggage compartment.
9. He was two taka short of getting a softer bed
8. He is faking the back pain to get a free massage from the hotel maid named bilkiss. (She usually gives massage for two takas)
7. Lotus Kamal made him kneel down just to have a better view of Broad's golden hair.
6. He slipped trying to sit on Bangladeshi toilet.
5. He doesn't have a spine to support his back
4. He had gay sex with a midget.
3. He wants a surgery so he can bowl like Mashrafee
2. He is afraid Tamim might top yuvi's record by 1 more six (yuvi hit six 6s in his over)
1. He is a brit!!
Classic :-)
<br />Posted via BC Mobile Edition

magic boy
March 10, 2010, 11:13 PM

lol...I was expecting a post like this...good:up:

Orpheus
March 11, 2010, 07:45 PM
I got thousands of requests asking to do a top ten on rakib!! Everybody is asking does rakib also have back pain??

auntu
March 12, 2010, 09:19 AM
i got thousands of requests asking to do a top ten on rakib!! Everybody is asking does rakib also have back pain??
[বাংলা]অর্ফি আইলো।
চালু হইবেক ব্যাপারটা। চিন্তা কইরাই বহুত আনন্দ পাচ্ছি। [/বাংলা]