PDA

View Full Version : Bowling 1st in the Subcontient

cricman
March 11, 2010, 11:00 PM
Is a Big No No, it got Bashar fired

You Can't do this everytime man, it takes an extraordinary effort to pick up Wickets. 242ao isn't gonna happen Everyday

I really Hope I jinxed it

Sohel
March 11, 2010, 11:10 PM
The decision to bowl first in Chittagong is unacceptably bad. With the pitch set to deteriorate and crack, a spin-heavy attack such as ours ought to bowl last. Also, looking at the average of 1st, 2nd. 3rd and 4th innings totals in this venue, it becomes impossible to understand why in GOD's name anyone would decide to bowl first. Idiots!

sadi
March 11, 2010, 11:23 PM
Bad move. Why are they always so defensive?

yaseer
March 11, 2010, 11:27 PM
We lost the match before the match even started - when we thought negatively, feared of loosing early wickets and decided to bowl first.

Tintin
March 11, 2010, 11:28 PM
As if the existing handicaps are not enough, not batting first too :head::head: It is really really hard supporting this team.

kiriket
March 11, 2010, 11:38 PM
if they batted first they would be 40 for 5, then no one would bother to see the rest of the days.

kiriket
March 11, 2010, 11:39 PM
We lost the match before the match even started - when we thought negatively, feared of loosing early wickets and decided to bowl first.

ya at least ppl are still watching this match, or else had we batted first there would be another 2nd test match thread in this forum with high hopes and all kinds of line ups.

Ahmed_B
March 11, 2010, 11:39 PM
We just willingly accepted the following misfortunes:
-Having to bat on later part of 4th and 5 day pitch
-Losing the scope of bowling on a 5th day pitch
-Losing the scope of putting England to bat on 5th day on a deshi pitch against a gang of good spinners..after setting them a target.
-Having to chase on 5th day (whatever the target is)
-Having to bowl with a spinner-based squad on a 1st & 3rd day pitch

WHY ON EARTH?!

SMHasan
March 12, 2010, 12:30 AM
Sometimes we need some jokes to get us going that's why Shakib decided to bowl first (Or he gave them the license to have some fun?).

You have loads of spinners and still you don't want to bowl on the 4th or 5th day sounds weird. And guess what Shakib's thought- they wanted to use the early dampness of the wicket!

Which one is bigger- using the uncertain amount of movement or using the spinners on a low and turning track on the 4th and 5th day?

As TinTin said- It is really difficult to support this team.

WarWolf
March 12, 2010, 12:41 AM
Why keep on doing the same mistake again and again?

Zeeshan
March 12, 2010, 12:58 AM
Disagree. Disagree. Disagree.

I may not be a pitch genius but you guys are hinging the entire match's outcome on the heads and tails of coin toss as if the latter is Cleopatra's nose. WTF? YES! in the ideal world where two teams are of the same weights then all your over-analysis and theories may apply. But, all these theories go right out of the window when you compare that range between BD and England. Sure all the points most of you brought up may apply...but that is if the teams are of equal rank. We are talking about BD here. We have to play according to our strengths. And my conjecture is Siddons and Co. made this decision not because of some hard on fixation on pitch report but based on the factor of a batting collapse so prevalent among our side. If we batted first in a relatively foreign parameters we would be more prone to make errors. It'd best if we chase in this ground and restrict them around 250ish. Y'all need to stop overthink and overcomplicate life. Think simple. Sheesh...

As I said, too much gadum gudum gadum.

Tigers_eye
March 12, 2010, 12:58 AM
Where are the regular critique the myth buster and all?

Tigers_eye
March 12, 2010, 01:05 AM

I may not be a pitch genius but you guys are hinging the entire match's outcome on the heads and tails of coin toss as if the latter is Cleopatra's nose. WTF? YES! in the ideal world where two teams are of the same weights then all your over-analysis and theories may apply. But, all these theories go right out of the window when you compare that range between BD and England. Sure all the points most of you brought up may apply...but that is if the teams are of equal rank. We are talking about BD here. We have to play according to our strengths. And my conjecture is Siddons and Co. made this decision not because of some hard on fixation on pitch report but based on the factor of a batting collapse so prevalent among our side. If we batted first in a relatively foreign parameters we would be more prone to make errors. It'd best if we chase in this ground and restrict them around 250ish. Y'all need to stop overthink and overcomplicate life. Think simple. Sheesh...

For every team it is a norm for us it is not? Why give away the advantage? Did you not hear David Lloyd, Bob Willis talk? They know nothing? How about Andrew Miller? With so many spinners you would not want to bowl last on this pitch?

The Commentators could not find any reason. Later on made a comment that Finn, Bresnan and Broad attack should not pose 4/5 wickets in the first session for any team in this pitch. Poor decision to give away the advantage. Win or lose doesn't matter. This is common sense cricket.

Whom are you kidding? Restrict them around 250ish with what? Two seamers will not get any purchase at all. There goes 150 runs between them for zero wickets. The spinners will only give up 100 runs for 10 wickets? 3 day match gave you no indication?

yaseer
March 12, 2010, 01:11 AM
ZeeshanM, the range between BD and ENG is already big, now by giving away the advantage, we have made it bigger. Now only something special/miracle can pull that gap. When the opponent is strong, you have to make every opportunity count. But we gave away one with stupid thinking!!!

Zeeshan
March 12, 2010, 01:16 AM
ZeeshanM, the range between BD and ENG is already big, now by giving away the advantage, we have made it bigger. Now only something special/miracle can pull that gap. When the opponent is strong, you have to make every opportunity count. But we gave away one with stupid thinking!!!

That's exactly what I meant. :)

+++

TE bhai, I meant wrap them around 250 that was before the match started. Clearly the way match is proceeding it won't be possible.

Zeeshan
March 12, 2010, 01:17 AM
And where is babubangla bhai when you need him! :mad:

He also defended Shak's decision earlier...although his philosophy was a bit different.

Tigers_eye
March 12, 2010, 01:18 AM
That's exactly what I meant. :)

+++

TE bhai, I meant wrap them around 250 that was before the match started. Clearly the way match is proceeding it won't be possible.
Got it. We need a pitch reader in our team from now on.

wiseshah
March 12, 2010, 01:49 AM
toss and sakib: i pray so that shakib never win toss.
if he wins, he will do exactly what opponenets want. so why we need toss.
not only one time, every single time.

even when everybody was crying over dew factor and toss was vital in triseries, shakib did the opposite thing. commentator was saying, probably he knows something that we dont know.

shakib should nt be over smart, just be smart.

Ajfar
March 12, 2010, 01:54 AM
Got it. We need a pitch reader in our team from now on.

list of things we need
1) wicket keeper
2) toss coach
3) pitch reader
4) umpires
5) fielders who can catch

am I missing anything?

WarWolf
March 12, 2010, 02:55 AM
Some times if the condition favors, you can bowl first even in the sub-continent.

But see what we have in this test. A typical early summer day when the wicket doesn't have any kind of juice and is really slow and low. Pacers have nothing in it. It is expected to behave well for first 3 days only. During day 4/5, it would really be hard work for the batsmen to even keep the wickets intact. Our main strength is spin bowling which is not expected to fire on the first day of the test match due to wicket conditions. We misused our strength by choosing to field first and made sure our spinner would remain ineffective while giving the English spinners the opportunity to rule on the 4th innings.

nsd3
March 12, 2010, 03:14 AM
Our bowlers are so much toothless in Subcontinent pitch that Shakib thought batsmen should have the final responsibility to chase a target in the 4th or 5th day. Heh heh he.

Bunch of Jokers!!!!!!!!

yaseer
March 12, 2010, 03:16 AM
Who will take the responsibility now? Someone has to take this. Just can't say, "We miss-read the pitch", "We thought there was dampness" and bla bla bla.......

Where there is dew in night, every team winning the toss bowling first and winning, We decide to bat!!
Where we packed the team with spinners in summer time in a dead pitch, we decide to bowl first!!

These are not only bad decisions and a part of game, these are unacceptable errors. We are going no where by making these basic errors over and over again.

simon
March 12, 2010, 03:23 AM
Warm up match e bhalo bat kore nai ar ekhon beshi run kortesey.
I think Sak was inspired by his 7 wckt haul vs NZ & his recent 5 wckt haul vs Ind all in Chittagong.

BangladeshFan
March 12, 2010, 03:26 AM
the pitch is too slow and low and its not even turning now. maybe it will turn after a few days.

to bowl first on this pitch is horrible, does sakib ask for advice from Siddons?? what is JS doing if he cant even advice sakib on these simple things??

yaseer
March 12, 2010, 03:26 AM
Only explanation I can make of this decision of bowling first is-

They only want 1/2 of our batsmen to score century. They thought they have better chance of doing that by batting in 2nd and 3rd day. Result of the test match has no importance to them. Only thing they are up to is some individual performance (read a century). And we dumb fans are waiting for them to achieve something as a team.

Ok, what else we can do if the team itself do not want to achieve something as a team. We will open a "Congratulations Thread" after one of them scoring a useless century. Nothing matters if we loose by an innings against this inexperienced England team. After all, we are improving!!!

reyme
March 12, 2010, 03:43 AM
when you have a smart head coach like Siddons this is what happens.
Siddons proved again he has no gameplan, and he is simply not qualified to head coach a test team.

SMHasan
March 12, 2010, 03:48 AM
A team full of Naive people.

It's just a suicide to bowl first in this pitch. And what the leader of the naive team will say now?

Tintin
March 12, 2010, 03:59 AM

I may not be a pitch genius but you guys are hinging the entire match's outcome on the heads and tails of coin toss as if the latter is Cleopatra's nose. WTF? YES! in the ideal world where two teams are of the same weights then all your over-analysis and theories may apply. But, all these theories go right out of the window when you compare that range between BD and England. Sure all the points most of you brought up may apply...but that is if the teams are of equal rank. We are talking about BD here. We have to play according to our strengths. And my conjecture is Siddons and Co. made this decision not because of some hard on fixation on pitch report but based on the factor of a batting collapse so prevalent among our side.

I don't know whether you are trying to pull our legs by pretending not to see things, ZM. The gap between Eng and BD is big enough that England will probably win irrespective of toss and everything else. Precisely for that reason, for Bangladesh to have some chance, it has to make most of the conditions. The least that we could expect Shakib & co is do simple things properly (forget the complicated stuff like holding catches etc) and they are not doing even that.

Secondly, a bad decision stays a bad decision irrespective of the result. It can so happen that TI may hit a 100 or SaH takes a few wickets. But that doesn't shield the basic idiocy in having a side strong in spinners, and then choosing to bat last on a typical subcontinental pitch.

If we batted first in a relatively foreign parameters we would be more prone to make errors. It'd best if we chase in this ground and restrict them around 250ish. Y'all need to stop overthink and overcomplicate life. Think simple. Sheesh...

Yes. Chittagong is in New Zealand these days.

Equinox
March 12, 2010, 04:28 AM
Sadly this isn't the first time Shakib has done this. He just isn't learning.

reyme
March 12, 2010, 04:36 AM
Toss is the primary part of a gameplan. Gameplan is prepared by the coaching staff. Captain is out there to execute this gameplan.
So I fail to understand why are we blaming the captain.
<br />Posted via BC Mobile Edition

reyme
March 12, 2010, 04:40 AM
2 things could go wrong:

1. Shakib decided to bowl against the coches decision. In this case, the coach has no control over his players. The coach needs to be replaced.
2. Coaches decided to bowl, shakib just executing tue decision.in this case this coach needs to be replaced for lacking common sense.

Ahmed_B
March 12, 2010, 04:41 AM
[বাংলা]টস্‌-এ জিতে ব্যাটীং নিলে এখন বাংলাদেশের স্কোর হত বোধকরি ২৬০/৭ ধরনের কিছু। কিন্তু সেটাও বোধ হয় দেখেতে এত খারাপ লাগতোনা...যতটা এখন লাগছে ইংল্যান্ডের স্কোর দেখতে!![/বাংলা]:hairpull:

reyme
March 12, 2010, 04:44 AM
As we are ranked last as a test team, the coaches also rank lowest among test team coaches.
How come all the dumb people has to join this team?

BD-Shardul
March 12, 2010, 04:48 AM
[বাংলা]টস্‌-এ জিতে ব্যাটীং নিলে এখন বাংলাদেশের স্কোর হত বোধকরি ২৬০/৭ ধরনের কিছু। কিন্তু সেটাও বোধ হয় দেখেতে এত খারাপ লাগতোনা...যতটা এখন লাগছে ইংল্যান্ডের স্কোর দেখতে!![/বাংলা]:hairpull:

True. But we would have lost anyway. Ki ar kora :(

Spitfire_x86
March 12, 2010, 05:01 AM
2 things could go wrong:

1. Shakib decided to bowl against the coches decision. In this case, the coach has no control over his players. The coach needs to be replaced.
2. Coaches decided to bowl, shakib just executing tue decision.in this case this coach needs to be replaced for lacking common sense.
You're so much blinded by Siddons hate that you don't want to contemplate the 3rd scenario.

3. Coach and captain both thought it's a good idea to bowl first.

BangladeshFan
March 12, 2010, 05:20 AM
its turning too slow, allowing the batsmen to adjust. if we bat first and score 260/7 in this pitch, we shouldnt play test matches, period.

Fortuner
March 12, 2010, 05:51 AM
I didnt notice our spinners giving much flight in their delivery. If they did give, I suppose we could have caused some problem to the english batsman;s. Tamim bowled the last over of the day and i noticed he gave flight in his delivery and that actually didnt make it look easy for the english batsman.

Indeed it was a mistake to take bowling on a flat track tailored for batting. Except our captain and the coach others agree with the fact that the decision made was wrong but having made a wrong decision doesnt mean u let go it like that.

Our bowlers didnt try out much. They were hopless in the field today and also our fielding. And yeah setting a defensive feild proves to me Shakib wasnt very confident.

Its ok. He is jst 22 but with all these experiences, u should learn and become more matured.

Raynman
March 12, 2010, 07:06 AM
Only explanation I can make of this decision of bowling first is-

They only want 1/2 of our batsmen to score century. They thought they have better chance of doing that by batting in 2nd and 3rd day. Result of the test match has no importance to them. Only thing they are up to is some individual performance (read a century). And we dumb fans are waiting for them to achieve something as a team.

Ok, what else we can do if the team itself do not want to achieve something as a team. We will open a "Congratulations Thread" after one of them scoring a useless century. Nothing matters if we loose by an innings against this inexperienced England team. After all, we are improving!!!

I'm not sure if this is official news yet but BCB and Siddons has made a request to adjust Bangladesh's ranking in the ICC standings based on personal performances and not actual Wins & Losses. Apparently Winning is overrated and is not a true measure of success. The statement cited that it was Michael Jordan's individual performances that people should focus on and not the six rings that he won in consecutive three-peats.

The rest of the statement had to do with the need to stay the same and let countries like PAK, WI and ZIM self-demise as that was much easier than putting the effort to actually advance by winning matches. Also another point being mulled over by ICC is whether to advance Bangladesh to the quarter finals of the WC next year based on the number of centuries scored as opposed to actual wins and position within its group.

BCB has also decided that if their request is put into reality, they can only keep Siddons as a head/batting coach and focus on building a team of 11 batsmen. Anybody caught (!) practicing fielding, keeping or even bowling will be punished severely.

WarWolf
March 12, 2010, 07:44 AM
That's classic post Raynman bhai.

auntu
March 12, 2010, 09:04 AM
[বাংলা]এই টেস্টের কবর রচনা হয়ে গিয়েছে।
এখন খালি দাফনের অপেক্ষা। [/বাংলা]

Zeeshan
March 12, 2010, 09:21 AM
I don't know whether you are trying to pull our legs by pretending not to see things, ZM.

Not it was just my intuitive side being skeptical of the analytical assessment. It wasn't an attack or anything.

al-Sagar
March 12, 2010, 09:43 AM
siddon thought this will be a traditional CTG pitch. earlier we saw spin in first day. but later the pitch got better and better and spin become lesser and lesser. but this time shakib and siddons misread the pitch.

well, its only one day in the test match. we had a very very bad day. no we have to play good cricket for the rest of the four days.

AsifTheManRahman
March 12, 2010, 10:05 AM
The toss played its role, yes. Will it also play a significant role in the fourth inning of the match? I guess we'll see if the surface cracks open or flattens out like it has in recent occasions. It won't matter if we have a 500 run deficit by then, though. If it does flatten out, we'll see a couple of good knocks and that's about it.

But when the going gets tough, you put the ball in the right places. We've failed to do that.

zman
March 12, 2010, 10:41 AM
I like many others have no interest in watching our bowlers getting thrashed by Cook and Co. Can somebody please pm me or something when they get tired of scoring, have mercy on us and decide to let us bat for a day or so!!!

Beamer
March 12, 2010, 10:51 AM
No need to elaborate on the matter any further than what has already been said! It was a shocking decision to say the least. To tell you the truth, the moment I saw the decision to field first, I knew the inevitable that will wait at the end of the day. It is just perplexing. We stack the team with spinners, yet we voluntarily refuse to bowl last to take advantage of our apparent strength. Now, we are at the mercy of England to declare, which they don't need to do. They will be intent on batting only once and we will crumble on the face of a monumental total. Are we afraid of batting first because of our penchant for a collapse? If that is the hidden fear, then why bother playing cricket at all ? How is this any different than Bashar era captaincy? Or, is it because by making England bat first, we somehow ensure the match is stretched to the fifth day ? Siddons loves to point out that fact every chance he gets. Countless times I have heard him mention that to point out our progress. While I do not discount our batting progress among individuals, but has the mindset progressed at all? No, if you ask me. Even if I give him the benefit of doubt when he says that they have misread the pitch, then you must ask, why are we always misreading the pitch? Then you have the normal catch dropping show. A wkt keeper who keeps on spilling regulation catches. I dunno guys. Its just a pathetic show all around.

Fortuner
March 12, 2010, 04:02 PM
BD Coach and captain they think too much. They thought it will not b flatter now and rather get flatter later, LOL

Eshen
March 12, 2010, 04:16 PM
I still don't think it was a bad decision. Spinners (including Naeem and Mahmudullah) found turns from the wicket. However, all the bowlers lacked discipline to keep tight line and length to create pressure on batsmen. Erratic bowling also made it hard for Shakib to set up the field properly.

To me, it seems our spin department regressed while Salahuddin was away.

Eshen
March 12, 2010, 04:30 PM
Also, bowlers were prolly demoralized because of dropped catches. First the slip cordon could not take Cook's catch because Mushfiq had them stationed too far back, and then Mushfiq dropped Carberry himself. Those wickets could have made world of difference. Not having a good keeper in the team has cost us dearly again.

Imtiazk
March 12, 2010, 05:23 PM
The old maxim never changes. You win the toss, bat 9 out of 10 times. The other time, you think about it, and bat !!

Imtiazk
March 12, 2010, 05:26 PM
The toss played its role, yes. Will it also play a significant role in the fourth inning of the match?

We have made sure that there will be no fourth innings. Unless England , for some practice, do not enforce the follow on.

Haradhon
March 12, 2010, 06:01 PM
Looks like we needed a bunch of Javed Omar-type batsmen in the BD team - just do not hit anything and pass the time...

Eshen
March 12, 2010, 06:11 PM
Here is India, Pakistan, and Sri Lanka's Test record in last one decade against other 5 top teams (ie barring matches against NZ, WI, BD, and Zim, against whom they won anyway) on Asian grounds -
<table class="engineTable"><caption>
</caption> <thead> <tr class="headlinks"> <th class="left" nowrap="nowrap">Team (http://stats.cricinfo.com/ci/engine/stats/index.html?class=1;continent=2;filter=advanced;opp osition=1;opposition=2;opposition=3;opposition=6;o pposition=7;opposition=8;orderby=team;spanmin1=12+ Mar+2000;spanval1=span;team=6;team=7;team=8;templa te=results;type=team)</th> <th nowrap="nowrap">Mat (http://stats.cricinfo.com/ci/engine/stats/index.html?class=1;continent=2;filter=advanced;opp osition=1;opposition=2;opposition=3;opposition=6;o pposition=7;opposition=8;orderby=matches;spanmin1= 12+Mar+2000;spanval1=span;team=6;team=7;team=8;tem plate=results;type=team)</th> <th nowrap="nowrap">Won (http://stats.cricinfo.com/ci/engine/stats/index.html?class=1;continent=2;filter=advanced;opp osition=1;opposition=2;opposition=3;opposition=6;o pposition=7;opposition=8;orderby=won;spanmin1=12+M ar+2000;spanval1=span;team=6;team=7;team=8;templat e=results;type=team)</th> <th nowrap="nowrap">Lost (http://stats.cricinfo.com/ci/engine/stats/index.html?class=1;continent=2;filter=advanced;opp osition=1;opposition=2;opposition=3;opposition=6;o pposition=7;opposition=8;orderby=lost;spanmin1=12+ Mar+2000;spanval1=span;team=6;team=7;team=8;templa te=results;type=team)</th> <th nowrap="nowrap">Tied (http://stats.cricinfo.com/ci/engine/stats/index.html?class=1;continent=2;filter=advanced;opp osition=1;opposition=2;opposition=3;opposition=6;o pposition=7;opposition=8;orderby=tied;spanmin1=12+ Mar+2000;spanval1=span;team=6;team=7;team=8;templa te=results;type=team)</th> <th nowrap="nowrap">Draw (http://stats.cricinfo.com/ci/engine/stats/index.html?class=1;continent=2;filter=advanced;opp osition=1;opposition=2;opposition=3;opposition=6;o pposition=7;opposition=8;orderby=drawn;spanmin1=12 +Mar+2000;spanval1=span;team=6;team=7;team=8;templ ate=results;type=team)</th> <th nowrap="nowrap">W/L (http://stats.cricinfo.com/ci/engine/stats/index.html?class=1;continent=2;filter=advanced;opp osition=1;opposition=2;opposition=3;opposition=6;o pposition=7;opposition=8;orderby=win_loss_ratio;sp anmin1=12+Mar+2000;spanval1=span;team=6;team=7;tea m=8;template=results;type=team)</th> <th nowrap="nowrap">Ave (http://stats.cricinfo.com/ci/engine/stats/index.html?class=1;continent=2;filter=advanced;opp osition=1;opposition=2;opposition=3;opposition=6;o pposition=7;opposition=8;orderby=team_average;span min1=12+Mar+2000;spanval1=span;team=6;team=7;team= 8;template=results;type=team)</th> <th nowrap="nowrap">RPO (http://stats.cricinfo.com/ci/engine/stats/index.html?class=1;continent=2;filter=advanced;opp osition=1;opposition=2;opposition=3;opposition=6;o pposition=7;opposition=8;orderby=runs_per_over;spa nmin1=12+Mar+2000;spanval1=span;team=6;team=7;team =8;template=results;type=team)</th> <th nowrap="nowrap">HS (http://stats.cricinfo.com/ci/engine/stats/index.html?class=1;continent=2;filter=advanced;opp osition=1;opposition=2;opposition=3;opposition=6;o pposition=7;opposition=8;orderby=team_high_score;s panmin1=12+Mar+2000;spanval1=span;team=6;team=7;te am=8;template=results;type=team)</th> <th nowrap="nowrap">LS (http://stats.cricinfo.com/ci/engine/stats/index.html?class=1;continent=2;filter=advanced;opp osition=1;opposition=2;opposition=3;opposition=6;o pposition=7;opposition=8;orderby=team_low_score;sp anmin1=12+Mar+2000;spanval1=span;team=6;team=7;tea m=8;template=results;type=team)</th> </tr> </thead> <tbody> <tr class="data1"> <td class="left" nowrap="nowrap">Pakistan (http://stats.cricinfo.com/ci/content/team/7.html)</td> <td>39</td> <td>11</td> <td>13</td> <td>0</td> <td>15</td> <td>0.84</td> <td>36.70</td> <td>3.26</td> <td>765</td> <td>53</td> </tr> <tr class="data1"> <td class="left" nowrap="nowrap">Sri Lanka (http://stats.cricinfo.com/ci/content/team/8.html)</td> <td>45</td> <td>15</td> <td>17</td> <td>0</td> <td>13</td> <td>0.88</td> <td>36.45</td> <td>3.28</td> <td>760</td> <td>73</td> </tr> <tr class="data1"> <td class="left" nowrap="nowrap">India (http://stats.cricinfo.com/ci/content/team/6.html)</td> <td>50</td> <td>21</td> <td>13</td> <td>0</td> <td>16</td> <td>1.61</td> <td>38.61</td> <td>3.35</td> <td>726</td> <td>76</td> </tr></tbody></table>
http://stats.cricinfo.com/ci/engine/stats/index.html?class=1;continent=2;filter=advanced;opp osition=1;opposition=2;opposition=3;opposition=6;o pposition=7;opposition=8;orderby=start;spanmin1=12 +Mar+2000;spanval1=span;team=6;team=7;team=8;templ ate=results;type=team

Among those matches -

batting first:
<table class="engineTable"><thead><tr class="headlinks"><th class="left" nowrap="nowrap">Team (http://stats.cricinfo.com/ci/engine/stats/index.html?batting_fielding_first=1;class=1;contin ent=2;filter=advanced;opposition=1;opposition=2;op position=3;opposition=6;opposition=7;opposition=8; orderby=team;spanmin1=12+Mar+2000;spanval1=span;te am=6;team=7;team=8;template=results;type=team)</th> <th nowrap="nowrap">Mat (http://stats.cricinfo.com/ci/engine/stats/index.html?batting_fielding_first=1;class=1;contin ent=2;filter=advanced;opposition=1;opposition=2;op position=3;opposition=6;opposition=7;opposition=8; orderby=matches;spanmin1=12+Mar+2000;spanval1=span ;team=6;team=7;team=8;template=results;type=team)</th> <th nowrap="nowrap">Won (http://stats.cricinfo.com/ci/engine/stats/index.html?batting_fielding_first=1;class=1;contin ent=2;filter=advanced;opposition=1;opposition=2;op position=3;opposition=6;opposition=7;opposition=8; orderby=won;spanmin1=12+Mar+2000;spanval1=span;tea m=6;team=7;team=8;template=results;type=team)</th> <th nowrap="nowrap">Lost (http://stats.cricinfo.com/ci/engine/stats/index.html?batting_fielding_first=1;class=1;contin ent=2;filter=advanced;opposition=1;opposition=2;op position=3;opposition=6;opposition=7;opposition=8; orderby=lost;spanmin1=12+Mar+2000;spanval1=span;te am=6;team=7;team=8;template=results;type=team)</th> <th nowrap="nowrap">Tied (http://stats.cricinfo.com/ci/engine/stats/index.html?batting_fielding_first=1;class=1;contin ent=2;filter=advanced;opposition=1;opposition=2;op position=3;opposition=6;opposition=7;opposition=8; orderby=tied;spanmin1=12+Mar+2000;spanval1=span;te am=6;team=7;team=8;template=results;type=team)</th> <th nowrap="nowrap">Draw (http://stats.cricinfo.com/ci/engine/stats/index.html?batting_fielding_first=1;class=1;contin ent=2;filter=advanced;opposition=1;opposition=2;op position=3;opposition=6;opposition=7;opposition=8; orderby=drawn;spanmin1=12+Mar+2000;spanval1=span;t eam=6;team=7;team=8;template=results;type=team)</th> <th nowrap="nowrap">W/L (http://stats.cricinfo.com/ci/engine/stats/index.html?batting_fielding_first=1;class=1;contin ent=2;filter=advanced;opposition=1;opposition=2;op position=3;opposition=6;opposition=7;opposition=8; orderby=win_loss_ratio;spanmin1=12+Mar+2000;spanva l1=span;team=6;team=7;team=8;template=results;type =team)</th> <th nowrap="nowrap">Ave (http://stats.cricinfo.com/ci/engine/stats/index.html?batting_fielding_first=1;class=1;contin ent=2;filter=advanced;opposition=1;opposition=2;op position=3;opposition=6;opposition=7;opposition=8; orderby=team_average;spanmin1=12+Mar+2000;spanval1 =span;team=6;team=7;team=8;template=results;type=t eam)</th> <th nowrap="nowrap">RPO (http://stats.cricinfo.com/ci/engine/stats/index.html?batting_fielding_first=1;class=1;contin ent=2;filter=advanced;opposition=1;opposition=2;op position=3;opposition=6;opposition=7;opposition=8; orderby=runs_per_over;spanmin1=12+Mar+2000;spanval 1=span;team=6;team=7;team=8;template=results;type= team)</th> <th nowrap="nowrap">HS (http://stats.cricinfo.com/ci/engine/stats/index.html?batting_fielding_first=1;class=1;contin ent=2;filter=advanced;opposition=1;opposition=2;op position=3;opposition=6;opposition=7;opposition=8; orderby=team_high_score;spanmin1=12+Mar+2000;spanv al1=span;team=6;team=7;team=8;template=results;typ e=team)</th> <th nowrap="nowrap">LS (http://stats.cricinfo.com/ci/engine/stats/index.html?batting_fielding_first=1;class=1;contin ent=2;filter=advanced;opposition=1;opposition=2;op position=3;opposition=6;opposition=7;opposition=8; orderby=team_low_score;spanmin1=12+Mar+2000;spanva l1=span;team=6;team=7;team=8;template=results;type =team)</th> </tr> </thead> <tbody> <tr class="data1"> <td class="left" nowrap="nowrap">Pakistan (http://stats.cricinfo.com/ci/content/team/7.html)</td> <td>16</td> <td>4</td> <td>6</td> <td>0</td> <td>6</td> <td>0.66</td> <td>35.90</td> <td>3.44</td> <td>679</td> <td>53</td> </tr> <tr class="data1"> <td class="left" nowrap="nowrap">Sri Lanka (http://stats.cricinfo.com/ci/content/team/8.html)</td> <td>23</td> <td>7</td> <td>8</td> <td>0</td> <td>8</td> <td>0.87</td> <td>35.94</td> <td>3.25</td> <td>644</td> <td>73</td> </tr> <tr class="data1"> <td class="left" nowrap="nowrap">India (http://stats.cricinfo.com/ci/content/team/6.html)</td> <td>21</td> <td>9</td> <td>6</td> <td>0</td> <td>6</td> <td>1.50</td> <td>38.22</td> <td>3.44</td> <td>675</td> <td>76</td> </tr></tbody></table>
Fielding first:
<table class="engineTable"><thead><tr class="headlinks"><th class="left" nowrap="nowrap">Team (http://stats.cricinfo.com/ci/engine/stats/index.html?batting_fielding_first=2;class=1;contin ent=2;filter=advanced;opposition=1;opposition=2;op position=3;opposition=6;opposition=7;opposition=8; orderby=team;spanmin1=12+Mar+2000;spanval1=span;te am=6;team=7;team=8;template=results;type=team)</th> <th nowrap="nowrap">Mat (http://stats.cricinfo.com/ci/engine/stats/index.html?batting_fielding_first=2;class=1;contin ent=2;filter=advanced;opposition=1;opposition=2;op position=3;opposition=6;opposition=7;opposition=8; orderby=matches;spanmin1=12+Mar+2000;spanval1=span ;team=6;team=7;team=8;template=results;type=team)</th> <th nowrap="nowrap">Won (http://stats.cricinfo.com/ci/engine/stats/index.html?batting_fielding_first=2;class=1;contin ent=2;filter=advanced;opposition=1;opposition=2;op position=3;opposition=6;opposition=7;opposition=8; orderby=won;spanmin1=12+Mar+2000;spanval1=span;tea m=6;team=7;team=8;template=results;type=team)</th> <th nowrap="nowrap">Lost (http://stats.cricinfo.com/ci/engine/stats/index.html?batting_fielding_first=2;class=1;contin ent=2;filter=advanced;opposition=1;opposition=2;op position=3;opposition=6;opposition=7;opposition=8; orderby=lost;spanmin1=12+Mar+2000;spanval1=span;te am=6;team=7;team=8;template=results;type=team)</th> <th nowrap="nowrap">Tied (http://stats.cricinfo.com/ci/engine/stats/index.html?batting_fielding_first=2;class=1;contin ent=2;filter=advanced;opposition=1;opposition=2;op position=3;opposition=6;opposition=7;opposition=8; orderby=tied;spanmin1=12+Mar+2000;spanval1=span;te am=6;team=7;team=8;template=results;type=team)</th> <th nowrap="nowrap">Draw (http://stats.cricinfo.com/ci/engine/stats/index.html?batting_fielding_first=2;class=1;contin ent=2;filter=advanced;opposition=1;opposition=2;op position=3;opposition=6;opposition=7;opposition=8; orderby=drawn;spanmin1=12+Mar+2000;spanval1=span;t eam=6;team=7;team=8;template=results;type=team)</th> <th nowrap="nowrap">W/L (http://stats.cricinfo.com/ci/engine/stats/index.html?batting_fielding_first=2;class=1;contin ent=2;filter=advanced;opposition=1;opposition=2;op position=3;opposition=6;opposition=7;opposition=8; orderby=win_loss_ratio;spanmin1=12+Mar+2000;spanva l1=span;team=6;team=7;team=8;template=results;type =team)</th> <th nowrap="nowrap">Ave (http://stats.cricinfo.com/ci/engine/stats/index.html?batting_fielding_first=2;class=1;contin ent=2;filter=advanced;opposition=1;opposition=2;op position=3;opposition=6;opposition=7;opposition=8; orderby=team_average;spanmin1=12+Mar+2000;spanval1 =span;team=6;team=7;team=8;template=results;type=t eam)</th> <th nowrap="nowrap">RPO (http://stats.cricinfo.com/ci/engine/stats/index.html?batting_fielding_first=2;class=1;contin ent=2;filter=advanced;opposition=1;opposition=2;op position=3;opposition=6;opposition=7;opposition=8; orderby=runs_per_over;spanmin1=12+Mar+2000;spanval 1=span;team=6;team=7;team=8;template=results;type= team)</th> <th nowrap="nowrap">HS (http://stats.cricinfo.com/ci/engine/stats/index.html?batting_fielding_first=2;class=1;contin ent=2;filter=advanced;opposition=1;opposition=2;op position=3;opposition=6;opposition=7;opposition=8; orderby=team_high_score;spanmin1=12+Mar+2000;spanv al1=span;team=6;team=7;team=8;template=results;typ e=team)</th> <th nowrap="nowrap">LS (http://stats.cricinfo.com/ci/engine/stats/index.html?batting_fielding_first=2;class=1;contin ent=2;filter=advanced;opposition=1;opposition=2;op position=3;opposition=6;opposition=7;opposition=8; orderby=team_low_score;spanmin1=12+Mar+2000;spanva l1=span;team=6;team=7;team=8;template=results;type =team)</th> </tr> </thead> <tbody> <tr class="data1"> <td class="left" nowrap="nowrap">Sri Lanka (http://stats.cricinfo.com/ci/content/team/8.html)</td> <td>22</td> <td>8</td> <td>9</td> <td>0</td> <td>5</td> <td>0.88</td> <td>37.04</td> <td>3.32</td> <td>760</td> <td>136</td> </tr> <tr class="data1"> <td class="left" nowrap="nowrap">Pakistan (http://stats.cricinfo.com/ci/content/team/7.html)</td> <td>23</td> <td>7</td> <td>7</td> <td>0</td> <td>9</td> <td>1.00</td> <td>37.43</td> <td>3.12</td> <td>765</td> <td>117</td> </tr> <tr class="data1"> <td class="left" nowrap="nowrap">India (http://stats.cricinfo.com/ci/content/team/6.html)</td> <td>29</td> <td>12</td> <td>7</td> <td>0</td> <td>10</td> <td>1.71</td> <td>38.95</td> <td>3.27</td> <td>726</td> <td>100</td> </tr></tbody></table>
Their W/L ratio is actually better when they fielded first!

BanCricFan
March 12, 2010, 08:00 PM
You pack your team with spinners and then you choose to field first...now show me the wisdom in it!!

Siddons and Shakib both like to talk the talk but have no courage nor will to do it. If Bashar had the current pool of players at his disposal even he wouldn't have been so shamelessly negative in his approach or mindset. It is really laughable when the coach and the captain does all that trash talk and then are too afraid to bat first on a dead track perchance they might get bundled out in two sessions by the world beating pacers England has ever produced.

Its a simple case, our "team management" and Okalpokko Kaptan are too petrified to even try!

Raynman
March 12, 2010, 09:23 PM
I still don't think it was a bad decision. Spinners (including Naeem and Mahmudullah) found turns from the wicket. However, all the bowlers lacked discipline to keep tight line and length to create pressure on batsmen. Erratic bowling also made it hard for Shakib to set up the field properly.

I would have been okay if the decision was based on the confidence of the bowling strength and the general feeling that the English batting could be easily overpowered.

To field first because our batsman are likely to collapse shows all the wrong reasons and attitude. But I guess thats to be expected when the message in the camp is individual performance and not team strategy

nahaz
March 13, 2010, 02:43 AM

Man, I think you are expecting way too much off our spin bowling...There's three spinners. Sakib is good but he's played for two years at the national level. Razzak's the main spinner yet he doesn't have the variety of even the ridiculed Hauritz probably. Enam, the alternative, may have been better but he's unproven even at domestic level. Riyad is not bad, but he himself has a big job as a batsman. On top of all that, you expect the spinners to get all the wickets under 350 in the first innings. That's a bit rich!!

Eshen
March 13, 2010, 01:10 PM
Man, I think you are expecting way too much off our spin bowling...There's three spinners. Sakib is good but he's played for two years at the national level. Razzak's the main spinner yet he doesn't have the variety of even the ridiculed Hauritz probably. Enam, the alternative, may have been better but he's unproven even at domestic level. Riyad is not bad, but he himself has a big job as a batsman. On top of all that, you expect the spinners to get all the wickets under 350 in the first innings. That's a bit rich!!
So, you are saying our bowling department is simply crap! In that case, do you think there would be any difference if they bowled in the second innings instead of the first innings?! Would they suddenly turn from crap to class in difference of a day?!

auntu
March 13, 2010, 01:38 PM
Eshen bhai that's a good stat.
Thanks for that.

SMHasan
March 14, 2010, 01:41 AM
No need to elaborate on the matter any further than what has already been said! It was a shocking decision to say the least. To tell you the truth, the moment I saw the decision to field first, I knew the inevitable that will wait at the end of the day. It is just perplexing. We stack the team with spinners, yet we voluntarily refuse to bowl last to take advantage of our apparent strength. Now, we are at the mercy of England to declare, which they don't need to do. They will be intent on batting only once and we will crumble on the face of a monumental total. Are we afraid of batting first because of our penchant for a collapse? If that is the hidden fear, then why bother playing cricket at all ? How is this any different than Bashar era captaincy? Or, is it because by making England bat first, we somehow ensure the match is stretched to the fifth day ? Siddons loves to point out that fact every chance he gets. Countless times I have heard him mention that to point out our progress. While I do not discount our batting progress among individuals, but has the mindset progressed at all? No, if you ask me. Even if I give him the benefit of doubt when he says that they have misread the pitch, then you must ask, why are we always misreading the pitch? Then you have the normal catch dropping show. A wkt keeper who keeps on spilling regulation catches. I dunno guys. Its just a pathetic show all around.

Hmm. Stacking the team with spinners and then deciding to bowl first - does it indicate anything? Apparently it's easy to presume that they are scared to attack, may be they were unsure what to do.

If they misread the pith then as you said- no excuse because they are doing it pretty often now a days. Either our captain and the coach are dumb or they are pundit. And both ways they are becoming people of problematic mindset.

If they were dumb then it would be better for us cause a dumb person would bat first in this wicket.

WarWolf
March 15, 2010, 02:45 AM
[বাংলা]আর পরে ব্যাট করবি সাকিব? [/বাংলা]

Purbasha T
March 15, 2010, 06:17 AM
Actually it is looking like it has got easier to bat on in the 4th innings though. But true, giving away 599 in the 1st innings was game over at the very beginning.

beshideshi
March 15, 2010, 08:06 AM
The decision was not totally wrong. The pitch is still very flat, and doing absolutely nothing off the track. It will take some very good bowling or a batsman's mistake to see a wicket go down. And as for stacking the team with spinners, we have two frontline spinners. Riyad and Nayeem will not go down as test match quality spinners. Razzak was supposed to be our strike bowler, but he lacked venom and imagination
I think the habit of trying to play a team of 11 batsmen must stop. We need to pick specialists, at least for test matches.

Tigers_eye
March 15, 2010, 08:54 AM
So, you are saying our bowling department is simply crap! In that case, do you think there would be any difference if they bowled in the second innings instead of the first innings?! Would they suddenly turn from crap to class in difference of a day?!
No, 1) you take advantage of the pitch, even the negligible amout you can get.

2) When you have 400 runs to avoid follow-on on day two, the match only can go one way.

3) Fielding under the sun is not easy. All day fielding tires out a little bit. When you are tired a little bit the concentration is not that good. These are the little things that gives you slight advantage.

4) Even England would feel the pressure in a forth inning chase. It is all about creating uncomfortable situations for the visitors. That is all.

5) Already discussed by many. With so many spinners in the team why do you not want to bowl in the fifth day wicket?

This is the dubbest team management, strategy makers I have ever seen. Worse than Bashar's era. Actually any era. You can even compare against Zim and they will come short.

auntu
March 15, 2010, 12:45 PM
It was interesting to listen Mushy's small interview with Bob Willis after match.He was mentioning that this is typical Ctg pitch after day 3 and on day 4 that the pitch has broken a bit and assisting the bowlers a bit. Surprise! Surprise! Wasn't he also one of the member (as VC) of the 3 members toss committee along with JS and Shakib?

M.H.Rubel
March 15, 2010, 02:29 PM
It was interesting to listen Mushy's small interview with Bob Willis after match.He was mentioning that this is typical Ctg pitch after day 3 and on day 4 that the pitch has broken a bit and assisting the bowlers a bit. Surprise! Surprise! Wasn't he also one of the member (as VC) of the 3 members toss committee along with JS and Shakib?

Yes he was the member of that team.What a mistake !Ball is turning now. If we have bat first it would have been a different match?

cricman
March 16, 2010, 12:31 PM
He said he was happy with the decision and only thing they did wrong was bowl bad

WTH!!!

SMHasan
March 17, 2010, 01:30 AM
He said he was happy with the decision and only thing they did wrong was bowl bad

WTH!!!

It's our (Bangladeshi people) nature that we don't apologize for our mistakes. And do you think Shakib will say that it was a wrong decision to bowl first? He is a bit arrogant now a days.

Eshen
March 17, 2010, 08:17 AM
Nothing really matters when you have so many batsmen who can't handle short pitched stuff even on such a dull pitch and a captain who goes crazy every time he faces the premier spinner from the opposition side!

Gillespie prolly would have scored another century on this pitch (if not double) if given a chance.

Ahmed_B
March 17, 2010, 09:09 AM
[বাংলা]আর পরে ব্যাট করবি সাকিব? [/বাংলা]

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v335/ahmedb/Cricket/Sakib.jpg

Link (http://www.eprothomalo.com/contents/2010/2010_03_17/content_zoom/2010_03_17_22_0_b.jpg)

auntu
March 17, 2010, 12:34 PM
^^^ [বাংলা]ভাবার্থঃ একই কাজ আবার করতে প্রস্তুত।[/বাংলা]

Ashfaq
March 17, 2010, 03:34 PM
How many times have we regretted bowling first? It's a simple math. Scoring 300 batting first and scoring the same runs batting second is not the same. A lag of 300+ is daunting, more so in the heat of Chaitra. So, the team batting second is always playing catch up game. The choice is staring at our face.