PDA

View Full Version : Sakib, Raqib, Mashrafee and our cricket

nahaz
March 12, 2010, 07:54 AM
Let's talk about the man of the week first, Raqib. Nice timid guy, had lots of guts on the field. He was out of form. He never was a T20 player, he had a technique that seemed lacking in tests. But anyway, he would've been a good asset for the one day team when in form. Just when he gets into the test team, he pulls off the most childish stunt ever! Boy, did you get that wrong! What were you thinking? You think anybody on the team would like you after this? Sakib's got a right to be angry at you. Did you ever think of your teammates? Everyone gets dropped. I get it, its our culture. But this decision might have cost you a life worth enjoying, and the team, a good friend, and a solid middle order.

Speaking of culture, what Mashrafee did two weeks ago also was wrong. I get it man..you were really looking forward to being welcomed back into the team, and then blasting off the opposition with your well-honed skills. But reality was so different. You still had the injury at the back of your mind, and lack of match fitness meant the results weren't very favourable first time around. So, just when you were planning for the next game, you hear you are out of the XI. You were shocked, I know, but you should have realised that it was better for the team if the fittest and best pacers of the moment played. A classy player like you can come back into the team at any time when fit. As a senior player, the players expect a more matured response from you. What you did caused uneasiness in the team, and encouraged Rakib.

Now to you, Sakib! You are a talented bowler no doubt, and you definitely do have the potential to be one of the most reliable matchwinners with the bat as well. What I have problems with though, is your personality and how it reflects on your captaincy. You have time again not hesitated at pointing the finger at someone. You are right. What Rakib did was wrong and he should be punished for it. But you do not need to turn the press conference into a complaint box for your teammate. You seem to hold too much grudge. We did not need to be reminded about Mashrafee's indiscipline. He did wrong. He needs to be reprimanded. But by mentioning this in public, you have insulted him...someone who was your predecessor for the captaincy by the way. Now you have created a rift with the country's most experienced pace bowler. Him being around the team can only benefit YOUR team. You do not need to explain to us fans why your job is hard. If you take action behind closed doors, its much better in terms of team discipline. By making public statements against players, you push them, as well as their friends in the team, away from you. You are 23, you need the support of your teammates.

One more thing, Sakib, you are too defensive as captain in the field. Taking bowling because you think we might get all out quickly is really negative. Sometimes you also need to attack more when the opponent is down. While batting you are completely opposite. You charge down the ground almost as badly as a tail-ender sometimes. It feels good to hit a six, but I bet getting out like that must suck. Just play sensibly, and then as captain you have another batsman you can rely on.

On Bangladesh cricket in general, the attitude and principles of the selectors and fans alike baffle me. Why do we still choose a keeper for tests who cannot keep? Playing him because he can bat is defeatist mentality. He either makes it to the team as a batsman or he doesn't. Play the best keeper out of Dhiman and Saghir. Play the best god-damn batsman for God's sake...If someone scores 1700-1800 runs in two seasons, let him in the squad of 15. They deserve it more than Aftab and Naeem. Let Siddons have a look. Let performers like Shuvo play. If we always valued performers, players like Raqib wouldn't feel so insecure. Playing in-form players averaging 60 locally makes much more sense than playing someone out of form and averaging 15. Just be systemmatic. Punish indiscipline and reward performers. And let everyone do their own damn job. Do not interfere just because you are the BCB president.

And to the fans, stop underestimating our boys. They beat West Indies because they played good, not because couple of their main XI were missing (Chanderpual, Gayle, Edwards, Taylor, Bravo). Their main team is not so many notches higher anyways. Also, our domestic structure is much better than you think and you should support the performers. Lastly, stop criticising our players and swearing at them at every failures..I heard players being sworn at every time they got out when I went to Mirpur stadium recently.

WarWolf
March 12, 2010, 08:05 AM
Top post nahaz. Loving it.

kazis2007
March 12, 2010, 08:45 AM
excellent

auntu
March 12, 2010, 08:58 AM
[বাংলা]ঝাকানাকা জোসনা পোস্ট। [/বাংলা]

Shade
March 12, 2010, 09:23 AM
And to the fans, stop underestimating our boys. They beat West Indies because they played good, not because couple of their main XI were missing (Chanderpual, Gayle, Edwards, Taylor, Bravo). Most of their main XI is crap anyways. Also, our domestic structure is much better than you think and you should support the performers. Lastly, stop criticising our players and swearing at them at every failures..

Please do not insult WI cricket.

aklemalp
March 12, 2010, 09:23 AM
great post i think when analysed,it could be put into practice about the team's structure

Naimul_Hd
March 12, 2010, 09:29 AM
notun moroke puran kahini !

Idealist
March 12, 2010, 09:44 AM
Really well said about BCB and the respective players.
But don't agree with you about Chanderpaul , Gayle, Sarwan being crap players.

AsifTheManRahman
March 12, 2010, 09:55 AM
The bottom line is you'll lose if you can't bat, bowl or field.

DJ Sahastra
March 12, 2010, 10:13 AM
And to the fans, stop underestimating our boys. They beat West Indies because they played good, not because couple of their main XI were missing (Chanderpual, Gayle, Edwards, Taylor, Bravo). Most of their main XI is crap anyways. Also, our domestic structure is much better than you think and you should support the performers. Lastly, stop criticising our players and swearing at them at every failures..

This last bit undermines a Good post overall. You won against WI because you played well and because they were playing a second string team. WI missing Chanderpaul, Gayle etc. was definitely a reason for their loss.<!-- / message -->

riad
March 12, 2010, 12:54 PM
DJ, well I heard to too many times now about the second string WI team. Look at them now .... their full strength bowling means Roach, Sammy etc ..... only Gyle and Chanderpaul was really missing. But we missed Mash and later almost all the best Pace bowlers! .....
It was not like we suppose to play AUS/IND instead we played NEPAL/HONGKONG. :mad:

This last bit undermines a Good post overall. You won against WI because you played well and because they were playing a second string team. WI missing Chanderpaul, Gayle etc. was definitely a reason for their loss.<!-- / message -->

sadi
March 12, 2010, 02:35 PM
Top post.

Just let the performers who perform in domestic cricket a chance. Have faith in your ability and when you win the toss in subcontinent, please bat.

BD-Shardul
March 12, 2010, 02:45 PM

Ditto.

wiseshah
March 12, 2010, 03:24 PM
love this post. excellent nahaz. i think it deserve to be in the front page article.

wiseshah
March 12, 2010, 03:25 PM
agree with everything u said. seems like u read my mind and express in ur words. excellent job

Nafi
March 12, 2010, 03:36 PM
Top post

nahaz
March 12, 2010, 06:28 PM
Really well said about BCB and the respective players.
But don't agree with you about Chanderpaul , Gayle, Sarwan being crap players.

I meant the fringe players around them in the team...of course I was grossly exagarating ( what's the spelling again?)...I enjoy watching them. But the Nikita Millers and all are also hit and miss. WI cricket is a lot like Bangladesh, but a notch higher...great on certain days, but horrendous on others.

But point is,the team we beat was still the "A" team, and not some school team...its hard to beat them in both tests without some skills. Our players prob believed they could do it and so they could.

nahaz
March 12, 2010, 06:40 PM

Not really. Look, we've never had such internal conflicts arise before. Raqibul and Mashrafee, two of the senior players, quitting the team due to "issues", Manager Mahmud openly wanting Siddons' job without showing any restraint, Sakib criticising anyone and everyone beyond the norm, Siddons criticising players when not performing...its all so disorderly. If we are not aware of the impending disaster right now, soon our team will collapse due to all the infighting, and we may even lose test status.

Sakib should do most of his criticising in team meeting, behind closed doors. He should call Mashrafee for a meeting, then let him know what he did was not right and that he wouldn't be playing anymore if he pulls this kind of stunt. He should also say sorry for not letting Mashrafee know of his omission in person. This shows more authority and would command more respect than complaining about him to the whole country while talking sweet talk on the phone. And the public does not need to know any of this.

The other critical thing I was trying to address is that Raqib wouldn't feel so vulnerable if we always rewarded the best performers and took them in the team. he would then know the only way to get in is by performing, and he'd concentrate on that. Ditto for all discards. I hate seeing all discards and new domestic performers not seeing any hope. Likewise, Ash and all would genuinely focus more on performing.

The culture of the whole team seems to be everyone tries to sway the public opinion in order to establish their position in the team. This is simply not right!

nahaz
March 12, 2010, 06:47 PM
Thanks to everyone who read and appreciated my post (Warwolf, Sadi bhai, Wiseshah et.all.). Once again, apologise for going overboard on WI cricket.

wiseshah
March 12, 2010, 07:08 PM

seems like people will never forget that Bd won against west indies A team (gayle-sarwan and chanderpaul) missing. sarwan was injured and so was chanderpaul. u cant do anything when players are injured. but whoever played--it appeared they are the best at the moment in wi cricket. its a blessing in disguise for WI cricket.

but if u think the indian team which lost against australia(2-4) in india was also australia A team (due to injury and suspension)21 players were missing in that tournament and seems like no one mention that at all. players list:

withdrawn players and injured player:
1. james hopes (withdrawn)
2. moises henriques (with drawn)
3.brett lee (withdrawn)
4. tim paine(withdrawn)
5.peter siddle (withdrawn)
6. andrew symonds (suspended)
7.brad haddin
8.michael clarke
9. nathan bracken
10.marcus north
11. brad hodge (injured)
12.simon katich
13.david hussey
14.saun tait

and others 7.

BanCricFan
March 12, 2010, 07:17 PM
Good post.

Everything is a massive let down with the BD team at the moment...the board...the Okalpokko captain...EVERYTHING. Shakib has been a major disappointment. His public bad mouthing of Mash and other collleagues is outright scandalous. Less said about his understanding of the game and captaincy the better.

Btw, its good to be back. Salaamz and Holaz to all.

yaseer
March 12, 2010, 07:25 PM
WC back BanCricFan bro :big_hug:

yaseer
March 12, 2010, 07:28 PM
Good post nahaz. Pointed out well all the recent events.

BD-Shardul
March 12, 2010, 08:06 PM
Welcome back BCF. Missed you :big_hug:

wiseshah
March 12, 2010, 08:15 PM
who is in ur avatar shardul?

BanCricFan
March 12, 2010, 08:19 PM
Shukran Yaseer and Shardul...stor klem!

Idealist
March 12, 2010, 08:34 PM
But point is,the team we beat was still the "A" team, and not some school team...its hard to beat them in both tests without some skills. Our players prob believed they could do it and so they could.

Ya, I agree, It wasn't some baby team. And at the end of the day, we still had to play good cricket to beat them. So hats off to them.

And good post btw..you provided food for thought.

taklima_naj
March 12, 2010, 09:09 PM
agree with everything u said. seems like u read my mind and express in ur words. excellent job

true, my mind also says so, but our team is not understanding, they r really lacking good strategies something in this year

hope team management will understand soon and make every step to step forward.

BD-Shardul
March 13, 2010, 04:47 AM
who is in ur avatar shardul?

Faisal Hossain.

Naimul_Hd
March 13, 2010, 05:58 AM
Shakib, Raqib, Mashrafee and our cricket = forwarding 1 step, and then going back 3 more steps !

BD-Shardul
March 13, 2010, 06:04 AM
I feel like giving Shakib [বাংলা]দুটা কষায়া থাপ্পড়[/বাংলা] for the arrogance he has shown today with the bat.

WarWolf
March 13, 2010, 06:24 AM
I feel like giving Shakib [বাংলা]দুটা কষায়া থাপ্পড়[/বাংলা] for the arrogance he has shown today with the bat.

It's not arrogance. It's lack of confidence and stupidity.

BanCricFan
March 13, 2010, 06:59 AM
It's not arrogance. It's lack of confidence and stupidity.

I'll just say stupidity. Village idiot like.

magic boy
March 13, 2010, 07:46 AM
Block Blaster movie of the spring 2010!!
http://i44.tinypic.com/amwphc.jpg

[বাংলা]এখন চলিতেছে সকল প্রেক্ষাগৃহে।[/বাংলা] [36+ rated !!]

BD-Shardul
March 13, 2010, 07:48 AM
[বাংলা]
জব্বর![/বাংলা]

auntu
March 13, 2010, 01:28 PM
Shukran Yaseer and Shardul...stor klem!
Welcome back.
Good to see you again :)

nahaz
March 13, 2010, 05:30 PM

[বাংলা]এখন চলিতেছে সকল প্রেক্ষাগৃহে।[/বাংলা] [36+ rated !!]

Lol...Raqib's now the Bangla equivalent of Whitney Houston...legendary diva. Good on ya, Raqib.

lamisa
March 14, 2010, 08:35 AM
Let's talk about the man of the week first, Raqib. Nice timid guy, had lots of guts on the field. He was out of form. He never was a T20 player, he had a technique that seemed lacking in tests. But anyway, he would've been a good asset for the one day team when in form. Just when he gets into the test team, he pulls off the most childish stunt ever! Boy, did you get that wrong! What were you thinking? You think anybody on the team would like you after this? Sakib's got a right to be angry at you. Did you ever think of your teammates? Everyone gets dropped. I get it, its our culture. But this decision might have cost you a life worth enjoying, and the team, a good friend, and a solid middle order.

Speaking of culture, what Mashrafee did two weeks ago also was wrong. I get it man..you were really looking forward to being welcomed back into the team, and then blasting off the opposition with your well-honed skills. But reality was so different. You still had the injury at the back of your mind, and lack of match fitness meant the results weren't very favourable first time around. So, just when you were planning for the next game, you hear you are out of the XI. You were shocked, I know, but you should have realised that it was better for the team if the fittest and best pacers of the moment played. A classy player like you can come back into the team at any time when fit. As a senior player, the players expect a more matured response from you. What you did caused uneasiness in the team, and encouraged Rakib.

Now to you, Sakib! You are a talented bowler no doubt, and you definitely do have the potential to be one of the most reliable matchwinners with the bat as well. What I have problems with though, is your personality and how it reflects on your captaincy. You have time again not hesitated at pointing the finger at someone. You are right. What Rakib did was wrong and he should be punished for it. But you do not need to turn the press conference into a complaint box for your teammate. You seem to hold too much grudge. We did not need to be reminded about Mashrafee's indiscipline. He did wrong. He needs to be reprimanded. But by mentioning this in public, you have insulted him...someone who was your predecessor for the captaincy by the way. Now you have created a rift with the country's most experienced pace bowler. Him being around the team can only benefit YOUR team. You do not need to explain to us fans why your job is hard. If you take action behind closed doors, its much better in terms of team discipline. By making public statements against players, you push them, as well as their friends in the team, away from you. You are 23, you need the support of your teammates.

One more thing, Sakib, you are too defensive as captain in the field. Taking bowling because you think we might get all out quickly is really negative. Sometimes you also need to attack more when the opponent is down. While batting you are completely opposite. You charge down the ground almost as badly as a tail-ender sometimes. It feels good to hit a six, but I bet getting out like that must suck. Just play sensibly, and then as captain you have another batsman you can rely on.

On Bangladesh cricket in general, the attitude and principles of the selectors and fans alike baffle me. Why do we still choose a keeper for tests who cannot keep? Playing him because he can bat is defeatist mentality. He either makes it to the team as a batsman or he doesn't. Play the best keeper out of Dhiman and Saghir. Play the best god-damn batsman for God's sake...If someone scores 1700-1800 runs in two seasons, let him in the squad of 15. They deserve it more than Aftab and Naeem. Let Siddons have a look. Let performers like Shuvo play. If we always valued performers, players like Raqib wouldn't feel so insecure. Playing in-form players averaging 60 locally makes much more sense than playing someone out of form and averaging 15. Just be systemmatic. Punish indiscipline and reward performers. And let everyone do their own damn job. Do not interfere just because you are the BCB president.

And to the fans, stop underestimating our boys. They beat West Indies because they played good, not because couple of their main XI were missing (Chanderpual, Gayle, Edwards, Taylor, Bravo). Their main team is not so many notches higher anyways. Also, our domestic structure is much better than you think and you should support the performers. Lastly, stop criticising our players and swearing at them at every failures..I heard players being sworn at every time they got out when I went to Mirpur stadium recently.

i agree with everything u say apart from the last paragraph.y wont we swear @ them when they play moronic shots and get out,making a fool of themselves @ the same time?

fwullah
March 14, 2010, 12:35 PM
Agree with the thread opener.

Sakib has this tendency to talk too much before a game. He should learn to speak when a game finishes. Ashraful used to do that - talk too much before a game. Now look at him.