PDA

View Full Version : How to churn out a draw from loss

Zeeshan
March 14, 2010, 12:27 PM
So we got two full days, where I assume BD may be able to bowl them out before tea. Then the target may be 434+120odd runs about 550. Imho our approach should be positively aggressive not because we would want to win it but because that will set them backfoot and would prevent them from inducing pressure and cause an implosion/collapse. Note: aggressive != hara kiri shots. All I am saying is we should play like ODI mentality and try to maintain a good RR even if it means by trying to work hard and take singles and rotate strikes. Because, once the opposition sniffs you are playing with positive mentality they would relax the inner circle fielding pressure which otherwise causes unnecessary wickets like from nicks to the slips or point.

What we should NOT do is just play an aimless, no plan, ENDURANCE game of just playing it out. Because we suck at that. We need to work hard even if it means for a draw. We need to show intent of drawing it and if we are lucky...an axillary by product may as well be a win.

That's just my theory. How do you think we should approach the game?

Wakidul
March 14, 2010, 12:30 PM
By praying to the almighty allah, that there is rain 2moro minimum for atleast half a day.

Zunaid
March 14, 2010, 12:33 PM
1. The most important ball is the ball you are facing. DO NOT GET OUT.
2. See 1.
3. If you do get a run - run as slow as you can without getting out.
4. See 1.
100. See 1

Zeeshan
March 14, 2010, 12:36 PM
^Yes. Journey of 100 steps begins with a single step. :)

BD-Shardul
March 14, 2010, 12:42 PM
1. Play ball by ball. Play each ball according to its merit. No premeditated shot.
2. Concentrate and play hard to build solid partnerships. We must need an opening stand of 100 runs.
3. After the fall of a wicket, the new batsmen including the one in the crease should show enough intent to prevent blowers getting on us yet alert enough not give another wicket within 20 overs of the last last wicket fall.
4. Put an enormous price to your wicket. Bat as if this is the last time you are batting in your life in a test match.
5. Keep your brain cool and never let the thought of target or sledging distract you.
6. Never let your egoistic impulse override your brain.
7. Believe that you can do it.

AsifTheManRahman
March 14, 2010, 12:46 PM
This is a Test match and you're batting in the last inning with a 500+ target. There's no way you'll win it, not at this age. The only way to approach this is to play defensive, play out of your skins to make sure you don't get out. Runs are secondary. There's really no other way to do this.

Our batsmen will have to learn to be patient, be it today or some time later on in their careers. We need guys who can bat for 5/6/7 hours to be successful in Test cricket and there's no way around it. Going for the win/showing aggression from a position like this isn't an option.

al-Sagar
March 14, 2010, 12:47 PM
1st lets wait for the england declaration or allout and see whats the target and whats the time left... then do decide tactics

patriot
March 14, 2010, 12:47 PM
Take it as an ODI game with a too less asking run rate .

Say we get em out before tea tomorrrow . We would have 5 sessions remaining which would be precisely 150 overs or 900 deliveries. Assuming England declare or set the target at 550 , we would need to score at 3.7 to WIN the game . It IS possible because the current England bowling is average plus the pitch has nothing for the bowlers. Sounds very Optimistic. But Yes WE CAN.

Eating up deliveries wont and NEVER worked .Winning is a big ask but at least if we go with a positive mentality we will surely draw the match.

AsifTheManRahman
March 14, 2010, 12:50 PM
Eating up deliveries wont and NEVER worked .
Never worked for us, but we'll have to start making it work at some point if we want to excel in Test cricket. It has worked for many over a couple of hundred years.

magic boy
March 14, 2010, 12:50 PM
While batting keep in mind that you're playing a Test Cricket Match!!...its a lifetime honor to be there ..so spend as much time as possible and enjoy the taste of it.
------
on an another note.....E-)

build partnership as if you're building a happy family like newly married couple.
rotate the strike like.........____
make 50 as if it's the child turn it to 100 as if raising the child to be matured.

your partner got out?? don't worry...take it as silly divorce...make affair with next one(new batsman) again build the family.

Guide your partner when to take single.how to bat like in particular condition. inspire him while batting...tell funny jokes like couple to make the relation more sexy(!)

BD-Shardul
March 14, 2010, 12:54 PM
I know we will lose yet we are all indulging in this type of discussion. Allah, spare some your mercy on these poor souls and bless with a win. :(

Nafis 1718
March 14, 2010, 12:57 PM
lol...nyc
<br />Posted via BC Mobile Edition

Rabz
March 14, 2010, 01:49 PM
Bowling them all out would be a great moral booster for the boys.
Instead of waiting for things to happen, they should be preactive to make things happen for themselves.

That will give them much needed self confidence of making the best of their run chase.

dolcevita
March 14, 2010, 02:04 PM
We will win this match if Junaid , aftab and kayes can score 200 runs together .
<br />Posted via BC Mobile Edition (iPhone)

Zeeshan
March 14, 2010, 02:11 PM
Bowling them all out would be a great moral booster for the boys.
Instead of waiting for things to happen, they should be preactive to make things happen for themselves.

That will give them much needed self confidence of making the best of their run chase.

That was exactly my sentiment. I feel this has chance of less error than being defensive like Asif bhai was suggesting. Because we don't have that tenacity for endurance and wou|d end up shooting our feet.

Catch-22 arises if we play too defensive then we would get out and if we try to win it we will lose it by playing uradhura shots and get out. (I know the solution seems to be then dont paly at all). But if we attack, where by attack we mean, play with intent, rotation of strikes lulling opposition into false of belief that we are going for win when our target is draw, then we have more chance of drawing. jmo.

WarWolf
March 14, 2010, 02:12 PM
We will win this match if Junaid , aftab and kayes can score 200 runs together .

Then Tamim, Mushy, Shakib, Riyad and Nayeem will score 500 runs together.

dolcevita
March 14, 2010, 02:13 PM
Then Tamim, Mushy, Shakib, Riyad and Nayeem will score 500 runs together.

They need to score 300 together they have done it often

Zeeshan
March 14, 2010, 02:13 PM
By praying to the almighty allah, that there is rain 2moro minimum for atleast half a day.

Allah hates lazy people...or so I am told.

gunda
March 14, 2010, 02:21 PM
We came in this test with 8 players and we gona bat in the 2nd innings with 8 players (Aftab,Zuniad,Imrul). We are handicaped from the start. And since this is bangladesh Theres no hope of a draw let alone a win. The only thing am looking forward to now is someone making a century. We lost this test when Shakib called the decision on the toss. This small comeback with the ball doesn't excuse or warrant the fact that of his pathetic toss decision. Infact it should be the other way around had we batted first.

smashyboy
March 14, 2010, 02:24 PM
Take it as an ODI game with a too less asking run rate .

Say we get em out before tea tomorrrow . We would have 5 sessions remaining which would be precisely 150 overs or 900 deliveries. Assuming England declare or set the target at 550 , we would need to score at 3.7 to WIN the game . It IS possible because the current England bowling is average plus the pitch has nothing for the bowlers. Sounds very Optimistic. But Yes WE CAN.

Eating up deliveries wont and NEVER worked .Winning is a big ask but at least if we go with a positive mentality we will surely draw the match.

This after being whitewashed in one dayers :notworthy:

Nocturnal
March 14, 2010, 02:29 PM
allah megh de pani de....
ay bristi jhepe......

ar to kono asha dekhi na!

Raynman
March 14, 2010, 03:12 PM
If we aim for draw we will surely lose. The strategy should be to start out sensible but aggressive to put some pressure on the English bowlers. You have to create the situation for the English to see draw as a viable option and then the batting will get easier. If England is playing to win and we are already ready to accept defeat with the possibility of a draw, we might as well forfeit the match.

wiseshah
March 14, 2010, 03:22 PM
Win forget it
draw will be win for us

I think we could get one draw against india
<br />Posted via BC Mobile Edition

Haradhon
March 14, 2010, 03:33 PM
I think Eng is going to declare at Lunch if they can score run-a-ball and add 120 to their 434. The target of 554 is impossible for Bangladesh to reach. Eng might take it to tea adding 180 which makes the target 604. Under these two circumstances, BD can salvage a draw by eating the overs; there is no way they can win this game.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
The 3<SUP>rd</SUP> scenario needs a miracle in which, BD gets Bell and Prior out quickly and restrict Eng 2<SUP>nd</SUP> innings total to 200, setting a target of 494. We do not have a Murali and nor do we have Sanga, Jayasuriya or Mohela to accelerate or to eat the overs.<o:p></o:p>
However the lower the target is the higher the chances are to draw the match.<o:p></o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>
So, Shakib needs to use his spinners after 2<SUP>nd</SUP> over tomorrow, check the run rate and rein in Eng’s scoring drive. <o:p></o:p>
We still need a miracle and have 2/3 batters to play the innings of their lives.<o:p></o:p>
If Tamim and Shakib perform, they will give us runs. We need Mahmudullah, Mushy and Imrul to stay at the crease and play super defensive. If Aftab, Junaed and Naeem do perform, we will have more runs which might have a psychological effect on Eng bowlers.<o:p></o:p>
The most important phase is the morning session and the decider will be whether we can miraculously bowl Eng out, or Prior and Bell build a partnership adding 120 runs before lunch.<o:p></o:p>
I have a feeling Cook does not want to take a risk with only 5 bowlers. So bowling them out is the key, it sets a target that is lower and creates pressure on Eng.<o:p></o:p>

bujhee kom
March 14, 2010, 04:02 PM
We can draw or win, it is possible......with the blessing my Almighty Allah, we can craft out real tight and wicket-taking spells and take these last 5 wkts fast and quick! And then we all bat like Naeem,Tamim, Shakib, Riyad, Mushy and Shahdat bat sometimes...Gritty and play hard and hold on to that precious wicket and we can do it!

chol_bd123
March 14, 2010, 04:51 PM
So we got two full days, where I assume BD may be able to bowl them out before tea. Then the target may be 434+120odd runs about 550. [/I]

that's a very pessimistic view. They only have Bell and Prior now. If we get on of them out, we will be in the tail. I dont think Broad can handle Iceman

billah
March 14, 2010, 05:10 PM
^Yes. Journey of 100 steps begins with a single step. :)

I think the quote says the "journey of a thousand miles..." and judging the scenario, it's gonna be about that hard to eek out a draw in this match. Of course, we can always place a request for Ian Bell and Paul Collingwood to play on our side, in the spirit of sportsmanship :-D

Fifth day morning - my prediction.

Purbasha T
March 14, 2010, 05:17 PM
3 things to do:

1. Wipe off the tail and the other left-overs below 200 (allowing the lead to get stretched upto no more than 500).
2. Do a post-boxing day 2nd innings like the one against SL back in '08 (only diff is that Tamim needs to make 100 more than he did in that match).
3. As the rest said...Allahu Allahu..

..should get there, nope? :)

Rifat
March 14, 2010, 05:28 PM
Allah hates lazy people...or so I am told.

Praying to Allah Almighty does not necessarily imply laziness. It is the INACTION followed by Prayer that does...:)

Shehwar
March 14, 2010, 06:18 PM
We don't have the players who can even think of drawing this test match from here. We have a far better chance of winning than playing for a draw. They should go for their shots and be catiously aggressive.

Baundule
March 14, 2010, 06:24 PM
Even Australia can not win the match chasing 500. So, do not lose focus considering win as an option.

We can not also draw the match batting two days. That may happen once in a milion times. So, do not get yourself under pressure thinking that you have to draw it.

All you need to do is value your wicket. Concentration is all that is needed.

In that way, I'll be happy to be able to bat for 100+ overs. Win or lose or draw does not matter from this position.

Zeeshan
March 14, 2010, 06:25 PM
Praying to Allah Almighty does not necessarily imply laziness. It is the INACTION followed by Prayer that does...:)

Who said I implied the former?

Ajfar
March 14, 2010, 07:42 PM
we will be chasing 500+?? I wanna know where do you guys get the huevos to even dream of a win? win is the last thing we should think about.

Rifat
March 14, 2010, 08:03 PM
Who said I implied the former?

Not everything I say is Criticism. but rather a simple Reminder and sometimes clarification! :)

al-Sagar
March 14, 2010, 08:53 PM
we have to go into the 5th day with 8 wicket is hand

Fazal
March 14, 2010, 08:55 PM
we have to go into the 5th day with 8 wicket is hand

yes.

Only then we can talk about a draw.

FagunerAgun
March 14, 2010, 08:59 PM
How to churn out a draw from loss, if you mean this test
then some BD players must be reborn with better mentality, judgement and technics.....