PDA

View Full Version : First Test: Ranking for Bangladeshi players

Miraz
March 16, 2010, 08:47 AM
We have a reasonably good Test match which could have been lot better if our captain used common sense after winning the toss.

Here's my rating for the first Test

1. Tamim Iqbal - 7/10, impressed in the first innings, but failed on crucial times on both occasions

2. Imrul Kayes - 3/10, failed on both occasion except glimpse of hope in the 2nd innings. Not enough to keep his place in the team.

3. Zunaed Siddique - 8/10, he staged the most remarkable comeback of recent memory. He looked less than ordinary in the first innings, but played with grit and determination not previously seen by any Bangladeshi players except Mushy before.

4. Aftab Ahmed - 5/10. was unlucky in the first innings. Shared a good partnership in the second innings but did not do enough to keep his place in the team.

5. Mahmudullah - 6/10. Excellent first innings followed by an equally poor second innings. Got out by playing unnecessary shot across the line. Bowled reasonably well without much success.

6. Shakib Al Hasan - 5/10. Had a poor Test except some good second innings bowling. Shakib's captaincy was poor in the first innings, but significantly improved in the second innings. Probably his toss blunder and poor bowling was hurting him in the back of his mind.

7. Mushfiqur Rahim - 7/10. Batted exceptionally well in both innings but still missed out in his main duty as a wicketkeeper of the team. Desreved a century but missed out due to some rush of blood in both innings.

8. Naeem Islam - 7/10. Wasted at number 8. Shared a crucial partnership with Mushfiq in the first innings and chanced his arms in the second innings when the result of the match was already decided.

9. Abdur Razzak - 4/10. Failed miserably with ball in the first innings and leaked too many runs. Second innings bowling was slightly better, but still far short of Test standard bowling.

10. Shahadat Hossain - 1/10. Except some reargurd action as a nightwatchman, Shahadat had a forgettable series. He should be dropped for the 2nd Test in favour of Shafiul.

11. Rubel Hossain - 4/10. Bowled with lively pace but hardly utlized his pace in good effect.

Orpheus
March 16, 2010, 08:56 AM
No disrespect but your ratings suck.

I would rate Tamim and Mushfique higher than zunaid's.

Tamim got out to two very good balls... in my book he is 9/10 and was probably the batsman england were scared of. and I am glad he didn't give it away.

Zunaid did well in teh second innigns (with some luck) but to give him the highest rating when he is trying to save a spot on the test squad is a little emotional I think. Did he save Bangaldesh? no. I thought he celebrated a little too much for his 100...

but zun gets 11/10 for his efforts.....<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Orpheus
March 16, 2010, 08:59 AM
8. Naeem Islam - 7/10. Wasted at number 8. Shared a crucial partnership with Mushfiq in the first innings and chanced his arms in the second innings when the result of the match was already decided.

So who should bat at number 8? and where should Nayeem bat?

everybody wants to move everyone else up the order... but to where?? If imrul or aftab gets dropped, rakib will come in and he will bat at 4 (not 8). If Omi comes in then nayeem probably will get to bat as high as 7.

<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Miraz
March 16, 2010, 09:08 AM
Orpheus, England was scared of Tamim, but he perished too easily when required most. Zunaed made them toil hard for 2 days and he is the only Bangladeshi batsman to score century in this Test. he looked dead and buried after the first innings with severe technical flaws against short ball. To stage a comeback of such proportion requires some extra-ordinary effort and he made it possible. He deserves every ranking point here.

Naeem should bat at number 3 or 4 while Zunaed should move up the order to open with Tamim.In an ideal world I want to see this batting line-up

1. Tamim
2. Zunaed
3. Mushfiq
4. Naeem
5. Raqibul
6. Mahmudullah
7. Shakib

and 4 bowlers.

Orpheus
March 16, 2010, 09:10 AM
Orpheus, England was scared of Tamim, but he perished too easily when required most.

so did zunaid... he perished when we needed him to continue as well. What's your point?
What come back are you talking about? We lost by 200 runs....
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

AsifTheManRahman
March 16, 2010, 09:11 AM
but zun gets 11/10 for his efforts.....<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">
Agreed and agreed.

cricket_pagol
March 16, 2010, 09:17 AM

I agree as well.

Orpheus
March 16, 2010, 09:18 AM
1. Tamim
2. Zunaed
3. Mushfiq
4. Naeem
5. Raqibul
6. Mahmudullah
7. Shakib

and 4 bowlers.

I am not saying shakib shouldn't bat at 7, he should but soon people will be saying shakib shouldnt bat so low. The guy has test average of 30+ second highest test avg in bd team.. and he bats at 7/8 with the likes of rubel, enamul and shahadat. I dont like that.

anyways, our bowlers need to be taught to anchor to support.. otherwise our 8th batsman (a proper bat) is a walking wicket.

the only batting position change i wanna see is that of mushfique, he should come before riyad i think

<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Miraz
March 16, 2010, 09:26 AM
I am not saying shakib shouldn't bat at 7, he should but soon people will be saying shakib shouldnt bat so low. The guy has test average of 30+ second highest test avg in bd team.. and he bats at 7/8 with the likes of rubel, enamul and shahadat. I dont like that.

Not anymore. He has been pushed to third (Mahmudullah 44.30, Tamim 34.66) and at this rate he will be 4th soon. Mushfiq now averages 29.63 and Shakib 30.63. I see Mushfique sitting ahead of Shakib after Dhaka Test.

Miraz
March 16, 2010, 09:31 AM
so did zunaid... he perished when we needed him to continue as well. What's your point?
What come back are you talking about? We lost by 200 runs....
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

If you don't see a comeback in Zunaid's innings, I am sorry my friend, you will never see any comeback innings in international cricket.

Orpheus
March 16, 2010, 09:32 AM
I know Miraz. I wasn't counting Riyad's average to be statistically significant. Let's wait and see how things pan out in away tours..shall we?

Orpheus
March 16, 2010, 09:35 AM
If you don't see a comeback in Zunaid's innings, I am sorry my friend, you will never see any comeback innings in international cricket.

thanks for opening my eyes...

So zunaid's contribution of 110 runs total is more than Musfhique's 170 runs where the end result was a loss by 200 runs. Good to know!

In fact, I am starting to feel that you probably haven't even seen the test match...Luck played its many roles on zunaid today my friend....

al-Sagar
March 16, 2010, 09:43 AM
and 4 bowlers.

i agree that we need four bowlers. may be it gives us a long tail. but i dont like a batsmen coming at no 8. a bowler who can bat will be handy like mashrafe, suhrawardi shuvo, dollar, or may be in future shabbir, nasir or noor hossain.

also a proper wicket keeper who can bat a bit will do.

we must back our 7 batsmen to score and also need to learn creating partnerships with tail

AsifTheManRahman
March 16, 2010, 09:45 AM
Mushfiq definitely outperforms everyone else with the bat in this game. Tamim's knock in the first inning was very authoritative. Zunaed made a great comeback and I would love to see more of our batsmen spend seven hours at the crease, but Orpheus is right - Zunaed is extremely uncomfortable against anything short, swinging in, swinging away, or spinning away. In a nut-shell, it was more than a great effort from him, but he still comes in third.

uss01
March 16, 2010, 09:55 AM
:notworthy: Best post of the year!
I agree we need 4 bowlers and Shakib to bowl sides consistently. Plus it's still a good batting lineup with Shakib at 7.

Naeem should bat at number 3 or 4 while Zunaed should move up the order to open with Tamim.In an ideal world I want to see this batting line-up

1. Tamim
2. Zunaed
3. Mushfiq
4. Naeem
5. Raqibul
6. Mahmudullah
7. Shakib

and 4 bowlers.

aklemalp
March 16, 2010, 10:06 AM
someone please enlighten me about the situation with raqibul,is he still in the team?

Aritro
March 16, 2010, 10:07 AM
Zunaied deserves credit for his backs to the wall effort in the second innings and I was both surprised and impressed to see the strength of character he showed to come back from that humiliating dismissal in the first innings.

However it's hard to go past Mushfiq for the highest ranking IMO. The range and quality of his stroke play over both innings was marvellous to watch.

Ananna
March 16, 2010, 10:13 AM
thanks for opening my eyes...

So zunaid's contribution of 110 runs total is more than Musfhique's 170 runs where the end result was a loss by 200 runs. Good to know!

In fact, I am starting to feel that you probably haven't even seen the test match...Luck played its many roles on zunaid today my friend....

If you consider batting only, definately Mushy should get the highest ranking probably 9.
However, I believe Miraz rated the players based not only on batting but also on other functions, which in case of Mushy is wicket keeping. And as usuall his performce was well below par. That should bring his rating down. I think a 7 is fair for hi.

Aritro
March 16, 2010, 10:14 AM
Yeah, in hindsight, his wicket-keepering should definitely cost him the highest ranking.

Miraz
March 16, 2010, 10:23 AM
If you consider batting only, definately Mushy should get the highest ranking probably 9.
However, I believe Miraz rated the players based not only on batting but also on other functions, which in case of Mushy is wicket keeping. And as usuall his performce was well below par. That should bring his rating down. I think a 7 is fair for hi.

You are absolutely right. The rating is based on the overall performance of the players and it's not a batting ranking.

B_IKHAN_71
March 16, 2010, 10:45 AM
In an ideal world I want to see this batting line-up

1. Tamim
2. Zunaed
3. Mushfiq
4. Naeem
5. Raqibul
6. Mahmudullah
7. Shakib

and 4 bowlers.

Spot on miraz bai !! This Would be my dream team if ever there was one ! lol
Seriously tho I see this team doing more damage to the opposition then the one we have currently with the likes of imrul and aftab. One place where i disagree is seeing naeem coming ahead of rakibul ( If he is allowed back in that is ) , i think he should be batting 6-7 interchanging with shakib depending on circumstances.

Btw i would just like to say very well played bangladesh!! Even though we lost iv seen huge amount of improvement and courage from the team., likes of tamim , mushy and junaed showed how things can work out for you if you play with a backbone , Fair play to them . others in the team should watch and learn and stand up and be acounted for when given the chance . :-*:-*

bdtiger
March 16, 2010, 11:04 AM
Good post and nice judgement.

AK420
March 16, 2010, 11:09 AM
Forget all these statistics, what we just need is a win. If the team wins, we can rate them well. What is the use of rating them, if the team loses. Thid rating is nothing but useless, We should be thinking about how to win.

betaar
March 16, 2010, 11:11 AM
Orpheus, England was scared of Tamim, but he perished too easily when required most. Zunaed made them toil hard for 2 days and he is the only Bangladeshi batsman to score century in this Test. he looked dead and buried after the first innings with severe technical flaws against short ball. To stage a comeback of such proportion requires some extra-ordinary effort and he made it possible. He deserves every ranking point here.

1. Tamim
2. Zunaed
3. Mushfiq
4. Naeem
5. Raqibul
6. Mahmudullah
7. Shakib

and 4 bowlers.

I like the team other than Naeem at #4. What technique does he have to play at #4? He stayed for 2 hours at the crease but that doesn't contutute his ability to play the semi new ball. His got very limited ability. Yes he's better than Aftab but that doesn't really qualify him to be promoted at #4. He needs to spend some time in the middle like Riad before he can justify any promotion. I think Riad at #4 and Shakib at #6 is perfect. They both are grafter and accumulator/ accelarator in their own way.

So my team would be:

1. Tamim
2. Zunaed
3. Mushfiq
4. Riad
5. Raqibul
6. Shakib
7. Naeem

aklemalp
March 16, 2010, 11:16 AM
could shakib reagin his batting forme inthe second test?well i am hoping [for bangladesh to win the game,and beat the english really bad

capslock
March 16, 2010, 11:20 AM
Orpheus, it's perfectly possible to make your points and engage in debates without coming off as an ***. Might want to think about that.

al-Sagar
March 16, 2010, 11:23 AM
someone please enlighten me about the situation with raqibul,is he still in the team?

no he isnt. he has still not decided whether to return. and if he returns not sure when he will be called

auntu
1. Mushy played two super class innings and missed out two centuries both occasions. His score 9/10 but -1.5 for bad keeping. So score is 8.5/10

2. Great comeback Innings by Big Z. A true classy one. He gets 8/10

3. Tamim maintain his standard unfortunately got on two great deliveries but expectation was more to him. His score is 7/10

4. Naeem's batting on both innings was signs of hopes for the Tigers. Shown why he deserves to bat on the top order. Bowled pretty average. 6.5/10

5. Riyad's first innings knock was impressive but got out due to famous Bangladeshi 'bran choke'. Also happen in the second innings and this time got out cheaply. Bowled some good deliveries and couple of times catches dropped on his bowling. Still need to have a bit more grip on his bowling. He got 5/10

6. Shakib's batting was a big concern in this test. He was also very unfortunate to be ruled out by Tony Hill a new one in cricket 'GBW' Gloves before wicket. Bowling was not up to his standard but 2nd innings bowling was far better than 1st innings. He got 5/10

7. Rubel bowled with nice pace and had minimum control on line and length. A good experience curve for him. He got 3.5

8. A. Razzak's below par bowling basically put the Tigers on the back foot. He got 3

9. Aftab was shaky as usual. He has proved once again test cricket is not his cup of tea. His score is 2.5

10. Imrul was out of source against short pitched deliveries. As a top order batsman there is no life line for a player who can't deal short pitched deliveries. He scored 1

11. Shahadat scored no point on bowling . He got 1 for batting.

Ananna
could shakib reagin his batting forme inthe second test?well i am hoping [for bangladesh to win the game,and beat the english really bad

He is not out of form. Sometimes he is crazy and other times he is unlucky.

LateCut
March 16, 2010, 12:27 PM
Zunaid scores a ton but his innings was chancy. He was uncofortable in the beginning. Then he began to play the pace better. Yet, he had several edges either did not carry or sped throgh the vacant 3rd slip that Cooky gofted to BD in appreciation of the Sakib's toss decision. He looked very miserable aginst the spin and eventually succumbed to it. I think he will get a good dose of it in the second test. He better spend some time on the net with Naeem and Mahmudullah. In any event, I would not put his innings above Tanim's (1st) or Mushy's (both).

AsifTheManRahman
March 16, 2010, 12:44 PM
I like the team other than Naeem at #4. What technique does he have to play at #4? He stayed for 2 hours at the crease but that doesn't contutute his ability to play the semi new ball. His got very limited ability. Yes he's better than Aftab but that doesn't really qualify him to be promoted at #4. He needs to spend some time in the middle like Riad before he can justify any promotion.
I don't mind him batting at #8 now (not that it matters what I think) if that means he will bat in the middle order six months down the road. Naeem has a few glitches in his technique (e.g. inability to reach the pitch of the ball against pacers at times), but I didn't see much wrong with the way he played and I don't think it'll be hard for him to fix his deficiencies. If you play him at #8, don't expect him to do any better than a #8. He is and always has been a middle order batsman with a wide range of shots and the temperament and records to go with it. But batting with the tail exposed (or nearly exposed) isn't an ideal situation for anyone.

Ananna
March 16, 2010, 01:22 PM
1. Mushy played two super class innings and missed out two centuries both occasions. His score 9/10 but -1.5 for bad keeping. So score is 8.5/10

I thought if you deduct 1.5 from 9, the final should be 7.5. :smug:

zainab
March 16, 2010, 03:51 PM
Miraz bhai, I agree with you wholeheartedly as per your post.

I feel sorry for my poor little Mushy, seems to have a jinx in the 90s, but for a little guy, he is a gutsy guy.

AsifTheManRahman
March 16, 2010, 03:56 PM
Zainab, he may look like a school boy, but he bats like a man. That's how he was raised. Lots of red meat and Bangla beer in the diet.

DJ Sahastra
March 16, 2010, 04:10 PM
The individual fight, mental strength and brilliance of BD youngsters in this Test and the Tests against India and NZ only highlights what this team was always capable of and how it has always underperformed. I often wondered how Zimbabwe with far less talents wins or won more often. And the answer lies in these individual innings. It's such a pity that these guys fail to either see the team through in their individual brilliance or fail to contribute collectively as a team when they have demonstrated time and time again what they are capable of.

It is hard to sympathise with a bunch of capable underachievers much the same was as it was hard to sympathise with the loser team of India until Ganguly took over.

I suspect there is either some jinx or some jinn.

Orpheus
March 16, 2010, 05:13 PM
Orpheus, it's perfectly possible to make your points and engage in debates without coming off as an ***. Might want to think about that.

If you think about *** all day anything you read sound like ***. Do you see Miraz bhai complaining about anything? Why is it that you can get away with patronizing me for no apparent reason. I think it's perfectly possible to be more polite. You might think about changing that tone of yours.

You are absolutely right. The rating is based on the overall performance of the players and it's not a batting ranking.

But but Miraz, Mushfique is playing a double role. So you get deductions for more roles :P So had Mushfique been there only as a batsman and scored the same - he would have ranked higher. You gotta get your scale right man.

Mushfique played more balls and score more runs in this test match than zunaid... and occupied the crease longer than zunaid in the whole test.
anyways for me mushfique has been the star of this test match by miles....I think we finally got our golden boy.

Bond
March 16, 2010, 06:50 PM
i like your ratinngs, you deduct point from mushfiq for catch dropping which some supporter blind don't see, they think mushfiq best batsman he is but his keeping crop catches need deduction. very excellent and not faulty ranking. good point mr miraz, orpheus u agree have to with miraz? drop catch deduction point

al Furqaan
March 16, 2010, 09:02 PM
both orphy and Miraz bhais have a point.

Junaid is fundementally less talented than tamim and mushy (and even ash and aftab)...but i disagree with ATMR and others who think he's inconsistent. true he's not mushy, or tamim, or even sakib or riyad. but he is no ashraful or aftab either. in other words, JS has 6 fifty+ scores in 29 innings (21%) and our most consistent bashar had 27 in 99 (27%). compare to ashraful who had 12 in 103 innings (12%). so we see that JS is quite consistent. what makes him seem more inconsistent is that he will basically score a single digit score for every 50+ knock, and look totally outclassed in the process.

for the time being, junaid will stay, despite his enigmatic nature. of course we can hope that he has turned a corner. afterall, this bunch of Siddon's kids are doing things we never imagined.

as for my marks out of 10, i'd say:

Tamim 6.5 - he played well, but we need more out of him, and at crucial times. the good thing is he looks totally at ease and doesn't have any of that edginess that junaid seems to exude. in time this man will revolutionize our cricket.

Imrul 3 - a sure fire failure, but we can hope he translates his ODI temperament to the test level, may need to be dropped though

Junaid 5.5 - needs to be as gritty a little more often. as it is, its hard to argue against him

Aftab 4 - looked solid in the 2nd innings...until he got out. another fellow who's dropping is not wholly unjustified

Riyad 5.5 - prolly batting one spot higher than he should. i'd swap him with sakib. didn't think he was top order material, and i was partially justified so far.

Shakib 5.5 - bowled at about a 6.5, batted at about a 4, despite his poor GBW decision.

Rahim 9 - should have completed his centuries both times, needed a big one to force an unlikely draw with naeem. shouldn't keep anymore.

Naeem 7 - made the most of his limited opportunities. deserves to bat higher than riyad.

Razzak 5 - took a few wickets, but i'd rather test out enam or saqlain instead.

Shahadat 3 - nothing to be said, could be subbed by shafiul either in the next match or at Lords.

Rubel 3 - got one lucky wicket, more expensive than rajib...should be persisted with due to his potential

Baundule
March 16, 2010, 09:12 PM
The ratings seem to be OK. But I do not care about it as long as we are losing matches after matches. We have done nothing new. It all has happened in the past and it again shows what we are capable of doing; but seldom do. As a team we still suck.

AsifTheManRahman
March 16, 2010, 09:37 PM
both orphy and Miraz bhais have a point.

Junaid is fundementally less talented than tamim and mushy (and even ash and aftab)...but i disagree with ATMR and others who think he's inconsistent. true he's not mushy, or tamim, or even sakib or riyad. but he is no ashraful or aftab either. in other words, JS has 6 fifty+ scores in 29 innings (21%) and our most consistent bashar had 27 in 99 (27%).
Someone put up a list of Junaid's scores in Test cricket in some other thread and interestingly, he makes a big score every fourth match. That sort of coincides with his 21% conversion rate.

Anyways, I don't think anyone batting in the top order should be compared to Aftab and Ashraful. We need more like Mushy, Tamim, Riyad and Shakib. If JSI can get there, all power to him.

Catskills
March 16, 2010, 10:10 PM

1. Tamim
2. Zunaed
3. Mushfiq
4. Naeem
5. Raqibul
6. Mahmudullah
7. Shakib

and 4 bowlers.

It would be my line up as well, except at this moment I want to add Zuhurul. In regards to Zunaid, I thought he showed a lot of character and determination in the first test. He really played like a test player. 292 balls 106 runs in test is something that should be noted for all BD players. Little Mushfiq as a batsman amazes me these days. He is becoming like a pillar for BD.

Orpheus
March 16, 2010, 10:36 PM
i like your ratinngs, you deduct point from mushfiq for catch dropping which some supporter blind don't see...

the only blind people here are those praising Zunaid above everyone else. You people just don't get it. Your ratings has to be consistent. As a whole player Mushfique can get 7/10 for dropping catches but on that same scale using the same criteria zunaid can not get 8, because he doesn't even topple Musfique on batting alone. Mushfique's keeping is a different entity when you do comparisons like that.

Take for example Shahadat:

He can get 10 wickets and score 0 and 0 in both innings, and come up with 9/10
Like wise Shakib, if gotten 10 wickets with score of 0 and 0 in both innings should get 9/10 on the same scale.
But Miraz's logic is that because Shakib is an allrounder, he has to also score 100 in each innings to earn that. Many of you will agree to this emotionally faulty reasoning.

Zunaid looks like a hero because he was supposed to be out on less than 10 but he got you 100.....so this is the greatest come back in history of cricket? and he should get a medal for it.

anyways we are arguing about stupid things now....

To be honest, what irked me was Miraz comment on Tamim on how he should have survived more than he did.....while praising zunaid even thought zun failed as much as tamim did.

Zeeshan
March 16, 2010, 10:42 PM
the only blind people here are those praising Zunaid above everyone else. You people just don't get it. Your ratings has to be consistent. As a whole player Mushfique can get 7/10 for dropping catches but on that same scale using the same criteria zunaid can not get 8, because he doesn't even topple Musfique on batting alone. Mushfique's keeping is a different entity when you do comparisons like that.

Like wise Shakib, if gotten 10 wickets with score of 0 and 0 in both innings should get 9/10 on the same scale.
But Miraz's logic is that because Shakib is an allrounder, he has to also score 100 in each innings to earn that. Many of you will agree to this emotionally faulty reasoning.

Zunaid looks like a hero because he was supposed to be out on less than 10 but he got you 100.....so this is the greatest come back in history of cricket? and he should get a medal for it.

To be honest, what irked me was Miraz comment on Tamim on how he should have survived more than he did.....while praising zunaid even thought zun failed as much as tamim did.

Orpheus bhayiaa are you even aware that we are talking about FIRST TEST ONLY? or are you just brewing a storm in a teacup? how on earth tamim played the same cricket as zunaed? :)

Haradhon
March 16, 2010, 11:03 PM
Tamim: He has shown his abilities against G-8 and a solid opener for both ODI and test<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
Imrul: For now we have no substitute; but Rokibul is in the squad, Zunaed can bump him<o:p></o:p>
Zunaed: I hope his century was not one of Ash's Eid centuries and he keeps the confidence he gained.<o:p></o:p>
Aftab: Typical ODI players; have Rokibul replace him<o:p></o:p>
Mahmudullah: Let's see if he can play pace with cool head.<o:p></o:p>
Mushy: Give him some extra pad around his chest area to take the blows from Broad/Finn<o:p></o:p>
Shakib: If he does not sweeping/pulling for first 5 overs, he should bat after Naeem<o:p></o:p>
Naeem: Give him a try; he is promising.<o:p></o:p>
Rajib: In bouncy pitches Shafiul might be better than him<o:p></o:p>
Rajjak: Enamul/Shuvo needs to replace him<o:p></o:p>
Rubel: Ask him to watch more Malinga videos!<o:p></o:p>

capslock
March 16, 2010, 11:16 PM
If you think about *** all day anything you read sound like ***. Do you see Miraz bhai complaining about anything? Why is it that you can get away with patronizing me for no apparent reason. I think it's perfectly possible to be more polite. You might think about changing that tone of yours.

You don't see Miraz saying anything because he's got better manners than you or I.

wiseshah
March 16, 2010, 11:16 PM

1. Tamim
2. Zunaed
3. Mushfiq
4. Naeem
5. Raqibul
6. Mahmudullah
7. Shakib

and 4 bowlers.

i dont think rokibul will be back that soon in national team. last time it was his obhiman and now its our board's obhimaner pala.
anyway, i agree naeem should bat up the order

i wanna see

2nd test

tamim
Junaed
juhurul
naeem
mushfiq
mahmudullah
shakib
shohrawardi shuvo (if we need extra batsman plz add faisal/farhad)
enam jr
shafiul
rubel

Orpheus
March 16, 2010, 11:22 PM
You don't see Miraz saying anything because he's got better manners than you or I.

well good for him, maybe you shouldn't speak on his behalf and better your manners instead of instructing others?

capslock
March 16, 2010, 11:24 PM
well good for him, maybe you shouldn't speak on his behalf and better your manners instead of instructing others?

Nope, using your logic it's okay for me to do it since Miraz hasn't instructed me otherwise.

Orpheus
March 16, 2010, 11:29 PM
Nope, using your logic it's okay for me to do it since Miraz hasn't instructed me otherwise.

Why don't you go jump off the bridge mr. logic boy, I am sure Miraz didn't intruct you not to.

capslock
March 16, 2010, 11:30 PM
Why don't you go jump off the bridge mr. logic boy, I am sure Miraz didn't intruct you not to.

What a comeback! :lol:

Bond
March 16, 2010, 11:32 PM

yes i agree with you, both ur points and miraz points are good. thanks for clarification of brain, i understand little now

auntu
March 17, 2010, 01:42 PM
I thought if you deduct 1.5 from 9, the final should be 7.5. :smug:
He got 1 grace mark. ;)

Tendulkar_Mcgrath
March 17, 2010, 09:39 PM
mushfiq 8/10
Tamim 7/10
zunaid 7/10
mahmudullah 6/10
sakib 4/10
aftab 4/10
naeem 4/10
razzak 3/10
imrul 2/10
rubel 2/10
shadat 1/10

al-Sagar
March 17, 2010, 09:49 PM

we need separate ranking for bowling and batting. allrounders will have average for final rating

Zunaid
March 17, 2010, 10:28 PM
the only blind people here are those praising Zunaid above everyone else.

Pray, sir. What is wrong with that. I am what I am. I am the reason why waldo is hiding.

Obligatory on topic - my props to Mushy.

jisaan
March 18, 2010, 01:09 AM
I like the team other than Naeem at #4. What technique does he have to play at #4? He stayed for 2 hours at the crease but that doesn't contutute his ability to play the semi new ball. His got very limited ability. Yes he's better than Aftab but that doesn't really qualify him to be promoted at #4. He needs to spend some time in the middle like Riad before he can justify any promotion. I think Riad at #4 and Shakib at #6 is perfect. They both are grafter and accumulator/ accelarator in their own way.

So my team would be:

1. Tamim
2. Zunaed
3. Mushfiq
4. Riad
5. Raqibul
6. Shakib
7. Naeem

I like this one the most

The problem is, we don't have a proper No.3 batsman. Thus Mushy fits well there. But, if we bat second and a wicket falls early, it may be a tough task for him.
apart from that, he has all the attributes of a no. 3 batsman

1) His technique is better than most other BD Batsman
2) He can be equally fluent agt. both the seamers and spinners
3) He has got alomost all the shots of the book
4) He has got a very cool head
5) When required, he can curve his attacking instincts

I don't want to see nayeem at no.4 right now. He has to be groomed lower down the order just like mahmudullah and mushfiq. what i would disagree is your point on his batting abilities. Ctg test is a true testimony of what he can be and what he can do.
in the 1st innings, he blocked almost everything when it was needed and in the 2nd innings, he knew that it won't be long before the innings would be over and he displayed a completely different mood when there were only the tailenders left. It's a pity that he had to wait for so long to get another chance.

Yes, i want to see shakib at no.6 and somebody must tell him that his devil-may-care attitude esp. at the beginning of an innings would continue to bring his downfall more often than not. he is too important for us to lose that easily.
we want that shakib who played 25 dot balls before opening his account and went on to score his 1st test hundred.

jisaan
March 18, 2010, 01:34 AM
We have a reasonably good Test match which could have been lot better if our captain used common sense after winning the toss.

Here's my rating for the first Test

1. Tamim Iqbal - 7/10, impressed in the first innings, but failed on crucial times on both occasions

2. Imrul Kayes - 3/10, failed on both occasion except glimpse of hope in the 2nd innings. Not enough to keep his place in the team.

3. Zunaed Siddique - 8/10, he staged the most remarkable comeback of recent memory. He looked less than ordinary in the first innings, but played with grit and determination not previously seen by any Bangladeshi players except Mushy before.

4. Aftab Ahmed - 5/10. was unlucky in the first innings. Shared a good partnership in the second innings but did not do enough to keep his place in the team.

5. Mahmudullah - 6/10. Excellent first innings followed by an equally poor second innings. Got out by playing unnecessary shot across the line. Bowled reasonably well without much success.

6. Shakib Al Hasan - 5/10. Had a poor Test except some good second innings bowling. Shakib's captaincy was poor in the first innings, but significantly improved in the second innings. Probably his toss blunder and poor bowling was hurting him in the back of his mind.

7. Mushfiqur Rahim - 7/10. Batted exceptionally well in both innings but still missed out in his main duty as a wicketkeeper of the team. Desreved a century but missed out due to some rush of blood in both innings.

9. Abdur Razzak - 4/10. Failed miserably with ball in the first innings and leaked too many runs. Second innings bowling was slightly better, but still far short of Test standard bowling.

10. Shahadat Hossain - 1/10. Except some reargurd action as a nightwatchman, Shahadat had a forgettable series. He should be dropped for the 2nd Test in favour of Shafiul.

11. Rubel Hossain - 4/10. Bowled with lively pace but hardly utlized his pace in good effect.

Tamim is the only one who got out to 2 good balls, 1st one was almost unplayable. But agree on his ratings

Shakib got wickets only when the opposition was going all-out. he miserably failed in the 1st innings- both with the ball and with the bat. While he got a bad decision in the 2nd, he could be stipped off a few points for his approach. and that 'bowl-first' decision was a huge blunder and we lost the test pretty much at that 'call'.

i just wonder where his 5 points came from!! despite being the best batsman on show, if mushy suffers for his wicket-keeping blunders, shakib should do that as well.

I would categorize the perfomance of our 1st Test team this way:

1) Pat on the back - Mushfiq, Zunaid, Tamim,
2) Kick on the butt - Shahadat, Shakib, Imrul, Aftab, Rubel, Raz

shujan
March 18, 2010, 07:07 AM
Zunaied deserves credit for his backs to the wall effort in the second innings and I was both surprised and impressed to see the strength of character he showed to come back from that humiliating dismissal in the first innings.

However it's hard to go past Mushfiq for the highest ranking IMO. The range and quality of his stroke play over both innings was marvellous to watch.

Mushfiq did good with batting. His wicket keeping was horrible. He dropped too many catches in the first inning.

beshideshi
March 18, 2010, 07:32 AM
Everyone is making their own ratings, so here is mine :)
Tamim 7/10
Imrul 3/10
Zunayed 7/10
Aftab 4/10
Ashraful 10/10
Mahmudullah 6/10
Shakib 7/10
Mushfique 8.5/10
Razzak 4/10
Shahadat 2/10
Rubel -1/10