PDA

View Full Version : Attitudes: Why change at 277/6 vs. 110/5

Imtiazk
March 16, 2010, 02:51 PM
Let me start by making it quite clear that this is not meant to be a critcism. This is not a day for criticising our team. They have probably had the 3 best days in a test match since Australia at Fatullah.

My observation is about the attitude or body language given from the moment Junaid was out. Until then, I cannot fault neither Junaid nor Mushfiq. I cannot even criticise Junaid in the manner he was out. The lad played with soft hands, the ball was played downwards. It was only because Collingwood brought himself at least a couple of feet forward due to the slow wicket that the catch even carried.

Mushfiq did have one or two dances down the wicket before this. However, from the moment Nayeem came in the attitude changed.

I have followed test cricket for almost 50 years. I believe I am reasonably clued up regarding statistics. In fact, when I started diving into Wisden as a young lad, only Bradman's Australia had scored 404 at Leeds in 1948 to win a test match in the fourth innings.

Since then, only 3 successful chases have resulted in a higher score. The highest is still only 418. So make no mistake, I had no illusions about winning as some of our exuberant youngsters in BC.

However, at lunch I did have very faint hopes of saving the match. I surmised that if Junaid and Mushfiq lasted till tea, I would give Bangladesh 50% chance of saving the match. Of course, all changed after Junaid's dismissal. Even Mushfiq, for long, my only shining example of sensible test batsmanship changed.

I do not know if it was Nayeem's aggression or simply Mushfiq also kind of giving up, he started to play strokes that he had avoided earlier. The shot he got out to was unnecessary. I know he had played that shot before but we had just lost a wicket.

What was the point ?

There can be only two answers. One, Mushfiq also wanted to play to the gallery scoring a six to reach his hundred. This would have played very well in Bogra's main high street and his street credibility amongst the "fans" would have soared aka Ashraful.

The other, which also includes Nayeem's attitude was the archetypal Bangladeshi response. "What's the point, we will lose anyway". We might as well show them what we can do.

My point is why ? If the majority opinion is the latter then my contention is as follows: Was 277/6 a better score than 110/5 or not ? I say 277/6 was better, particularly as Nayeem was still there. If, at 110/5 Junaid and Mushfiq could get their heads down and frustrate England, then at 277/6 Mushfiq and Nayeem could have tried to do the same.

There is a strange feeling in most of us which can be expressed as the "dekhay dimu" attitude. For those not conversant with Bangla, this literally means "We'll show 'em". Our entire lives are dominated by this feeling which I believe is generated through a certain deeply felt complex.

Hitting out at bowlers is very much part of this psyche. Ashraful , of course, is the ultimate star of this trend. What matters is not the result but who is dominant. More precisely, who is perceived as dominant.

The irony is that during the course of 70 overs , Mushfiq and Junaid had exerted almost complete dominance of events, even though they were exceedingly watchful. The proof lies in the increasingly hysterical appeals the Englishmen had started to resort to. They were displaying their frustration and there were signs that they were losing control of events.

So why change tack ? Nayeem actually played with confidence. I do not prescribe that he should have gone into a shell. What I do prescribe is that he should have continued to frustrate the English. And Mushfiq should have gone on to play exactly like he had been. The English pace bowlers were almost at breaking point - their cheeks red.

Who knows, perhaps 150 was in the cards. we will never know

As these two are good batsmen and given the tiredness of their pace bowlers, if we had been able to go to Tea without any further loss, I do believe there was a reasonable chance of earning a draw.

That I believe would have been our greatest test match result to date. But it was not to happen.

However, I have seen signs which I very much welcome. Junaid, Mushfiq and Nayeem in the first innings have shown that at least some of our batsmen can buckle down in adverse situations. Tamim can be glorious but he should also realise that there is nothing wrong in hitting only the bad balls.

But, good times beckon. Maybe next week.

alibangali
March 16, 2010, 03:24 PM
Mushy was nervous and wanted his century which i think made him go for that shot. After he fell i guess naeem had no confidence in the bowlers to be able to hold on till the end. He wanted to get a good score so that he can be picked for the next match. Its a bit selfish but given the strategy of individual success employed by JS players cant be blamed. As soon as the tail was exposed that was game over and what ever happened afterwards can not be criticised.
<br />Posted via BC Mobile Edition (iPhone)

AsifTheManRahman
March 16, 2010, 03:28 PM
Why can't our middle order click for a change? Had our middle order batsmen done their jobs, these situations wouldn't have arisen in the first place.

Imtiazk
March 16, 2010, 03:31 PM
Mushy was nervous and wanted his century which i think made him go for that shot. After he fell i guess naeem had no confidence in the bowlers to be able to hold on till the end. He wanted to get a good score so that he can be picked for the next match. Its a bit selfish but given the strategy of individual success employed by JS players cant be blamed. As soon as the tail was exposed that was game over and what ever happened afterwards can not be criticised.

Posted via BC Mobile Edition (iPhone)

Nayeem played some of those shots before Mushfiq got out. That is exactly what I am suggesting. Maybe his proximity transmitted a bit of rashness to Mushfiq.

Make no mistake, Nayeem executed his shots very well. He is a good batsman.

One more point: Nayeem holed out on the last ball of the over. A ball which he could loft into the deep is also the same ball he could have stroked to the deep for a single. He didn't. He went for glory. That is my point.

Imtiazk
March 16, 2010, 03:35 PM
Why can't our middle order click for a change? Had our middle order batsmen done their jobs, these situations wouldn't have arisen in the first place.

Absolutely. If any of the five preceding batsmen had displayed a fraction of the resolve Junaid and Mushfiq showed, we would have gone a long way to save the match. Even Shakib, despite the poor decision, played a pre-determined atrocious shot. He wanted to hit Swann out of the attack. At the 2nd and 3rd ball he faced ?

Gowza
March 16, 2010, 03:35 PM
it was strange considering mushy was close to a ton and naeem is a well established middle order batsman at the domestic level with multiple hundreds and plenty of half centuries to his name. definitely something to work on, we don't want them doing that next time. i wonder though, if shuvo was in the team batting where razzak was, would naeem/mushy have felt they needed to "go for it" so soon or would they have had the confidence that they still had more batting in the shed and should have kept their heads down.

Ajfar
March 16, 2010, 03:36 PM
Nayeem played some of those shots before Mushfiq got out. That is exactly what I am suggesting. Maybe his proximity transmitted a bit of rashness to Mushfiq.

One more point: Nayeem holed out on the last ball of the over. A ball which he could loft into the deep is also the same ball he could have stroked to the deep for a single. He didn't. He went for glory. That is my point.

Nayeem is not used to batting with tail enders, he plays up the order. If mushy was there he would have known what to do, mushy knows that he has to take singles in the 5th or the 6th delivery of the over to keep the strike, that's because he had to play rescue act with the tail enders over and over again. You can't expect the same from Nayeem just yet, this is only his 3rd test. I don't think he went for glory, did you see him bat in the first innings? he knows how to buckle down and bat too, I bet if Mushy sticked around he would have had a talk with Nayeem and calmed him down.

alibangali
March 16, 2010, 03:37 PM

He went for an individual success like a 50 but thats the strategy employed by our coach which is causing the players to play for themselves and indirectly for the team. JS says that when we get a lot of individuals performing we will win a match. What he does not understand is that players whose selection is in doubt will less likely play according to situation.

Ajfar
March 16, 2010, 03:39 PM
What he does not understand is that players whose selection is in doubt will less likely play according to situation.

oh really, so tell me this, did Zunaed play according to the situation or for his personal gain?

WarWolf
March 16, 2010, 03:40 PM
Nayeem is not used to batting with tail enders, he plays up the order. If mushy was there he would have known what to do, mushy knows that he has to take singles in the 5th or the 6th delivery of the over to keep the strike, that's because he had to play rescue act with the tail enders over and over again. You can't expect the same from Nayeem just yet, this is only his 3rd test. I don't think he went for glory, did you see him bat in the first innings? he knows how to buckle down and bat too, I bet if Mushy sticked around he would have had a talk with Nayeem and calmed him down.

Naeem is well known as a finished. He won a few matches for the A and academy teams with the tail enders.

http://www.cricinfo.com/bangladesh/engine/current/match/345242.html
http://www.cricinfo.com/ci/engine/current/match/368430.html

cricman
March 16, 2010, 03:42 PM

Thats a Lame Excuse, Almost all Top Order Batsmen have played with the Tail at one point or the other

he gave up and wanted to get the runs I don't blame him, with the fielders inclose there was boundary for the taking, He tried to Hoist the ball fine, ended up Square.

Sachin did the same thing vs us

it was strange considering mushy was close to a ton and naeem is a well established middle order batsman at the domestic level with multiple hundreds and plenty of half centuries to his name. definitely something to work on, we don't want them doing that next time. i wonder though, if shuvo was in the team batting where razzak was, would naeem/mushy have felt they needed to "go for it" so soon or would they have had the confidence that they still had more batting in the shed and should have kept their heads down.

He's a lame duck with the bat ... Shuvo that is

alibangali
March 16, 2010, 03:43 PM
It was for his personal gain which indirectly helped the team. I am not critising any players for this as players should do this. In naeem's case he was playing with tail enders so like i said he didnt have the confidence to play out for a draw with them.

AsifTheManRahman
March 16, 2010, 03:46 PM
Absolutely. If any of the five preceding batsmen had displayed a fraction of the resolve Junaid and Mushfiq showed, we would have gone a long way to save the match. Even Shakib, despite the poor decision, played a pre-determined atrocious shot. He wanted to hit Swann out of the attack. At the 2nd and 3rd ball he faced ?
The constant failure of the top/middle order means that almost every inning of every game, we are putting an enormous amount of pressure on our lower order batsmen (Mushfiq and Nayeem now, Riyad earlier) and they are often finding themselves in positions where they have to fight along with the tail for a lost cause. The bulk of the runs in a game should be scored by #'s 1 - 6 and not #'s 6 - 8 as it is in our case. It is unfair to expect a #8 to bat like a #4 when most of the time he finds himself stranded with the burden of an impossible target. And it's not only these guys who feel the heat - Tamim has to go through it too, being the only consistent top order batsman. Junaid felt it in this match.

Yes, Mushfiq could have batted on and yes Nayeem could have tried to play with the tail. But why would they have to be in similar situations day after day? They wouldn't have given their wickets away and let the tail clean up their mess had they batted up the order. So why them?

We can't compete like this, let alone draw or win Test matches.

AsifTheManRahman
March 16, 2010, 03:49 PM
Gowza, that's the problem. Your #9 shouldn't be the one giving your #'s 7 & 8 the kind of assurance they need to finish up the job. That has to come from the top.

alibangali
March 16, 2010, 03:51 PM
The constant failure of the top/middle order means that almost every inning of every game, we are putting an enormous amount of pressure on our lower order batsmen (Mushfiq and Nayeem now, Riyad earlier) and they are often finding themselves in positions where they have to fight along with the tail for a lost cause. The bulk of the runs in a game should be scored by #'s 1 - 6 and not #'s 6 - 8 as it is in our case. It is unfair to expect a #8 to bat like a #4 when most of the time he finds himself stranded with the burden of an impossible target. And it's not only these guys who feel the heat - Tamim has to go through it too, being the only consistent top order batsman. Junaid felt it in this match.

Yes, Mushfiq could have batted on and yes Nayeem could have tried to play with the tail. But why would they have to be in similar situations day after day? They wouldn't have given their wickets away and let the tail clean up their mess had they batted up the order. So why them?

We can't compete like this, let alone draw or win Test matches.

Like you say any chance of winning or drawing the match was realisticaly over when we were 5 down for peanuts. The task after that was to be dogged and make the english work hard and be competitive which they did

alibangali
March 16, 2010, 03:54 PM
I hope no one is forgetting about our horrible bowling and fielding performace which already put huge pressure on the batsmen

Rommel
March 16, 2010, 04:13 PM
Thread of the year. Everything was absolutely spot on.

billah
March 16, 2010, 06:23 PM
What was the point ?
There can be only two answers. One, Mushfiq also wanted to play to the gallery scoring a six to reach his hundred. This would have played very well in Bogra's main high street and his street credibility amongst the "fans" would have soared aka Ashraful.

The other, which also includes Nayeem's attitude was the archetypal Bangladeshi response. "What's the point, we will lose anyway". We might as well show them what we can do.

Imtiazk: You bring two options to answer your "why" here. There might be a third possible answer to this. I am talking about Mushfiq's out in particular. I think the answer lies in his choice of deliveries to hit. Although he already has a bit of history with the 90s now; however, there is a reason his shot selection has been the singular difference between him and the rest.

Mushfiq, like Tamim, observes the release, hand position and early ball movement. His eyes, just like Tamim's are ON the ball, even at the very end, when the ball is impacting the blade. These are the essential elements of a good hitter of seam bowlers. It takes a lot of practice, including practicing the ability to keep your eyes open wider at the moment of impact. Natural human tendency is to close the eyes automatically at the moment of impact.

The biggest difference between Mushy & Tamim - Mushy plays the ball much later. Sometimes so late (in the case of spin), as if he wasn't going to play the ball at all. Tamim, once committed to a shot - hardly ever holds back. Mushfiq, you will notice, adjusts the stroke even after the delivery pitches.

So, why then, Mushfiq took the two steps forward to whack that delivery? If you go back to the match and review the other few times he danced down the track, you will see that, in those cases the ball was there to be hit. Right height, length, speed for the shot. Coming out of the crease is an early decision. Mushfiq decided for the shot because the ball was there to be hit.

I would not go for a risky shot like that when I am on 95 and my team is losing badly. But good batsmen play the delivery on the merit of the delivery, and take the other scenario out of their minds. In this case, Mushy unfortunately missed the line of the ball. Unfortunate for us, it happened at the wrong time.

I have never seen him getting out trying to hit a flamboyant shot, or take a shot because the other batsman was hitting also. I never saw him taking "I give up" shots in the past also, although he was put in to similar hopeless scenario. We mustn't forget the magnificent innings he already played for us, while there were no hope of saving a match.

So, I don't see validity in the possible reasons given by you here.

fuzzy
March 16, 2010, 06:32 PM
its true wat the expert say wen 1 falls the next1 follows.

Bond
March 16, 2010, 06:44 PM
The players were playing for their century, if you heard their interview they say we were concentrating on getting our century that's what siddons said first thing in the morning just get your century, so draw was not on their mind. u hand it to junaid he play well with honor like mushfiq with integrity

AsifTheManRahman
March 16, 2010, 06:55 PM
The players were playing for their century, if you heard their interview they say we were concentrating on getting our century that's what siddons said first thing in the morning just get your century, so draw was not on their mind. u hand it to junaid he play well with honor like mushfiq with integrity
Century na hoile draw hoibo kemne?

NKVDv2
March 16, 2010, 07:38 PM
Great thread, but it is really paralysis by analysis.

The only item that deserves such vigorous discussion is - when and how we can get batsmen to play with quality and simmilar determination at positions 2, 3 and 4.

After that, bad fielding, poor bowling, bad toss, Nayeem becoming chokka Nayeem...are all marginal and low hanging fruits.

NKVDv2
March 16, 2010, 07:41 PM

Did you hear him say JUST get your century ?

It also means...man, do anything, but don't get out vbefore that ?

It also means that a new bar will be set for each player...to cross.

Which means that each player will be counting his "centuries" scored.

Which means that there will be professional competition.

Which means that barring jealousy induced runouts, players will be trying to score 150s.

Which means that you all will have to stay up 3 straight nights (if in the us) to watch BD finish batting.

And we all know what that translates to.

NKVDv2
March 16, 2010, 07:43 PM
I hope no one is forgetting about our horrible bowling and fielding performace which already put huge pressure on the batsmen

horrible fielding in this test. man c'mon, who are you ?

horrible bowling...the English did not quite get us out under 200, even with multiple new balls.

Ananna
March 16, 2010, 07:56 PM
As captain, Sakib needs to take more responsibility. Instead he comes and starts hitting the ball. Get settled in the middle first then you will have ample time to hit and score. Thats exactly what he did in the 2nd innings of NZ test. I think he scored his first run on the 25th odd ball he faced. We know the rest. He is a very good player. But when he is in the middle he just gets crazy and tries to hit everything. Hopefully he can do such from now onwards.

alibangali
March 16, 2010, 08:06 PM

That was the point i was making. Its all about individual performances and then team goal comes as secondary. JS is saying that individual performances will add up to a team performance however this is an indirect approach. A direct approach would have been a team talk saying something like " we must get a draw i want everyone to concentrate and be determined, the amount of balls you play will be better than the runs you score. I want even the tailenders to put a price on your wicket"

Gowza
March 16, 2010, 08:18 PM
tbf we don't know exactly what siddons and and tbh if you're between 50-100 before the start of the day's play, using the century as your goal isn't a bad idea. i guess it depends on the players mentality, if they think a ton and think they have to score it in boundaries then that sort of goal probably isn't the best one for a test match, but if the players are willing to do the hard yards to get to their ton then it's a good goal, and once the 100 is reached they can re-focus.

it's good to use a combination of individual and team goals, once a player hits their ton they should re-focus with their partner and have 10 run goals for the team i.e. if he reaches 100 and the team hits 250 then from there they can aim to move the team to 260, then 270, then 280 etc until the players gets close to their 150 and they can use the 150 as a goal.

regardless of whether the goal is an individual one or a team one he should alway play to the situation in a mature manner.

Tintin
March 16, 2010, 09:25 PM
The constant failure of the top/middle order means that almost every inning of every game, we are putting an enormous amount of pressure on our lower order batsmen

Batting partnerships in the last 2 years :

Top 5 : http://tinyurl.com/yga2qtn
Bottom 5 : http://tinyurl.com/ygusgzu

Top order has 4 hundreds and 8 fifties. Last five have 6 hundreds and 13 fifties

AsifTheManRahman
March 16, 2010, 09:30 PM

Top order has 4 hundreds and 8 fifties. Last five have 6 hundreds and 13 fifties
Interesting. It should be the other way around.

NKVDv2
March 16, 2010, 09:39 PM
Interesting. It should be the other way around.

Actually, know.

Consider it to be a blessing. Now, if we can only get our real batsmen to play better...just imagine !

AsifTheManRahman
March 16, 2010, 09:40 PM
Now, if we can only get our real batsmen to play better...
...it would be the other way around. :)

Sohel
March 16, 2010, 09:44 PM
Things haven't changed much for us as a team. Sure we've had significantly better individual performances against the Top 8, better generation of players developing with experience, but we have yet to bat as a cohesive unit. So it wasn't surprising to me at all that GoBoy decided to get to his 100 faster than advisable and necessary after JSI succumbed to Swann. He has done this before but probably not do it again too often in the future.

I'm eager to see our guys get to their 100s and not lose focus once they get there. That will start to happen CONSISTENTLY with guys like Tamim, GoBoy, Riyad and possibly Nayeem in about 2-3 years as they get older and better. Moyna, like Miandad, will pretty much be the same with the bat but with better situational shot selection and like Miandad, succeed more often than his aggression suggests. That is the case already and he's only 22!

I hope the test 100 gives JSI the impetus to rectify his front foot technique and become the top order batsman he can be. He tried very hard to do just that during his remarkable innings, and did manage to succeed more often than I thought possible in a real test match where all hope was lost immediately after the toss. The combination of character, tenacity and temperament from such a gifted strokemaker is always cause for reasonable hope and guarded optimism.

I'm sure we'll be a Top 5 cricketing nation when the current generation of players shine between 27 and 35.

NKVDv2
March 16, 2010, 09:51 PM
Things haven't changed much for us as a team. Sure we've had significantly better individual performances against the Top 8, better generation of players developing with experience, but we have yet to bat as a cohesive unit. So it wasn't surprising to me at all that GoBoy decided to get to his 100 faster than advisable and necessary after JSI succumbed to Swann. He has done this before but probably not do it again too often in the future.

I'm eager to see our guys get to their 100s and not lose focus once they get there. That will start to happen with guys like Tamim, GoBoy, Riyad and possibly Nayeem in about 2-3 years as they get older and better.

I hope the test 100 gives JSI the impetus to rectify his front foot technique and become the top order batsman he can be. He tried very hard to do just that during his remarkable innings, and did manage to succeed more often than I thought possible in a real test match where all hope was lost immediately after the toss. The combination of character, tenacity and temperament from such a gifted strokemaker is always cause for reasonable hope and optimism.

Sohel NR bhai, we are trying here too hard to become journalists for the Guardian. 100s are more than enough for BD players. We just need everybody to become sane players, and pitch in adequately and more often

Every body in this board have now moved from calling our batsmen brain farts to why are they not a Bradman.

NKVDv2
March 16, 2010, 09:51 PM
:lol:

...it would be the other way around. :)

Haradhon
March 16, 2010, 10:11 PM

I'm eager to see our guys get to their 100s and not lose focus once they get there. That will start to happen CONSISTENTLY with guys like Tamim, GoBoy, Riyad and possibly Nayeem in about 2-3 years as they get older and better. Moyna, like Miandad, will pretty much be the same with the bat but with better situational shot selection and like Miandad, succeed more often than his aggression suggests. That is the case already and he's only 22!

I hope the test 100 gives JSI the impetus to rectify his front foot technique and become the top order batsman he can be. He tried very hard to do just that during his remarkable innings, and did manage to succeed more often than I thought possible in a real test match where all hope was lost immediately after the toss. The combination of character, tenacity and temperament from such a gifted strokemaker is always cause for reasonable hope and guarded optimism.

I'm sure we'll be a Top 5 cricketing nation when the current generation of players shine between 27 and 35.

I like the way JS completed his century with 2 controlled boundaries, and before doing so he played some difficult balls with extra caution. I hope he takes this experience to his next match and improves.

Haradhon
March 16, 2010, 10:25 PM
In retrospect, the 500+ runs in the 2nd innings were never achievable, not even by Australia. What is encouraging in the past 3 test matches is that there is definitely an improving trend in terms of runs being scored in the 4th innings.
I would give credits to Siddon for teachings boys some battiings basics, or for plugging holes for our batters. Tamim acknowledges Siddon's contribution explicitly in after-match interviews. Under Siddon, players like Imrul, Zunaed and Riyad-Mushy-Naeem (our essential trio) will show progress, I believe.
Upcoming away series with Eng would be a test when we will see how well the boys fare against somewhat even/predictable pace as opposed to uneven pace that they faced in Ctg test.
I just hope that we gat a better bowling battery and teach the boys a few more tricks fo rplaying pace.
Another motivation for our boys could be some of them could make it to the County Cricket with good performances.

I was a kind of depressed all day at work, which happens after every test match. But there were a number of positives in this test match that we can pride on

al-Sagar
March 16, 2010, 11:33 PM

i think the team management shares a blame. perhaps they said naeem u r out if u dont score 40-50. thats why naeem was trying to score.

they should have said "u r the proper batsman, so protect the tail and bat as long as possible. even a 100 ball single digit score is valuable"

just think how ian bell and prior batted to save a test i think they scored 20-30 in 170 odd balls. geoff allot scored 0 of 70 balls once. our tail needs to start doing these things. but all they do is slog and show that they are capable batsman. in test we dont need a tail capable of quick scoring or big hitting. we need a tail that can defend and stay in the crease and thus..... frustate opponenet bowlers, frustate opponenet opening batters and waste some time.

Bond
March 16, 2010, 11:36 PM
Did you hear him say JUST get your century ?

It also means...man, do anything, but don't get out vbefore that ?

It also means that a new bar will be set for each player...to cross.

Which means that each player will be counting his "centuries" scored.

Which means that there will be professional competition.

Which means that barring jealousy induced runouts, players will be trying to score 150s.

Which means that you all will have to stay up 3 straight nights (if in the us) to watch BD finish batting.

And we all know what that translates to.

yes u make few good points, i don't understand sir, can u make easy language and more direct, you give different questioning meaning, can u be direct and tell me what u saying. i read ur comment and i think it will be good points but i don't understand you of double meaning, thank u i agree with u

auntu
March 17, 2010, 02:07 AM

We are like NZ. Our best batters come down the order.

godzilla
March 17, 2010, 03:39 AM
Nice thread from top to bottom. BTW is it just me or is Shakib loosing it with the bat again?

BD-Shardul
March 17, 2010, 04:28 AM

Do not make story yourself. Cite your source.

Century or personal achievement was not in their mind. Here what they have said after the match:

[বাংলা]মুশফিকুরের বক্তব্যঃ দলের জন্যই বেশি আফসোস মুশফিকুরের (http://prothom-alo.com/detail/date/2010-03-17/news/49450)[/বাংলা]

[বাংলা]বরং মনে হলো সেঞ্চুরি না পাওয়ার আক্ষেপের চেয়ে শেষটা স্বপ্নের মতো হলো না বলেই তাঁর বেশি আফসোস,‘নতুন বল নেওয়ার এক ঘণ্টা পরও যখন আমাদের কাউকে আউট করতে পারল না, তাদের তখন একটু হতাশই মনে হচ্ছিল। লাঞ্চের পর যদি আমি আর জুনায়েদ অন্তত এক ঘণ্টাও ব্যাটিং করতে পারতাম, কাজটা সহজ হয়ে যেত। সেটা তো আর হলো না...।’[/বাংলা]

[বাংলা]জুনায়েদের সঙ্গে কাল সংকল্প আরও একটা ছিল মুশফিকুরের—যত বেশি সময় সম্ভব উইকেটে থাকা। অথচ আগের দিন যখন দুজন জুটি বাঁধেন, তখন তিনি ভাবেনইনি কাঁধে কাঁধ মিলিয়ে এতটা পথ এগিয়ে যাবেন দুজনে, ‘গতকাল (পরশু) যখন চা-বিরতির ২০ মিনিট আগে মাঠে নামি, মনেই হয়নি পারব। আমাদের চিন্তা ছিল ওই দিনের বাকিটা সময় খেলে আসা। আজ (গতকাল) নতুন বল নেওয়ার পর আমরা ঠিক করি অন্তত ১০ ওভার খেলতে পারলে ওদের মানসিকভাবে দুর্বল করা যাবে। দুইটা সেশন কোনো উইকেট না হারিয়ে ব্যাটিং করার পর ওই আত্মবিশ্বাসটা আরও বেড়েছিল। লাঞ্চের পর আরও এক ঘণ্টা থাকতে পারলে ড্র হতে পারত এই টেস্ট, এমনকি ভালো খেললে জিতেও জেতাম হয়তো।’[/বাংলা]

[বাংলা]জুনায়েদের বক্তব্যঃ ‘নিজের ওপর একটা জেদ ছিল’ (http://prothom-alo.com/detail/date/2010-03-17/news/49455)[/বাংলা]

[বাংলা] চতুর্থ দিন মুশফিকুর রহিম যখন উইকেটে এলেন, আপনাদের পরিকল্পনা কী ছিল?
জুনায়েদ: মুশফিকুর যখন আসে, তখন ৫টা উইকেট পড়ে গিয়েছিল। আমরা আমাদের বেসিক ক্রিকেটটাই খেলতে চেয়েছি—ও রকম কোনো শট খেলতে যাব না। যতক্ষণ সম্ভব উইকেটে থাকব। সহজে উইকেট দেব না। তবে সত্যি কথা, আমি একটু নার্ভাস ছিলাম। রান পাচ্ছিলাম না, রানটা আমার জন্য দরকার ছিল। খেলতে খেলতে সেই নার্ভাসনেস দূর হয়, আস্তে আস্তে আত্মবিশ্বাসী হয়ে উঠি। নিজের খেলা ভালো ইনিংসগুলো মনে করতে থাকি।[/বাংলা]

[বাংলা] সেঞ্চুরি পাওয়ার পরও কোনো আফসোস কি আছে? এই টেস্ট ড্র করারও তো একটা সম্ভাবনা জাগিয়েছিলেন আপনারা...
জুনায়েদ: আফসোস একটাই...আমি যদি আর ১০-১৫ ওভার খেলতে পারতাম তাহলে হয়তো বা মুশফিকুরও আরও আত্মবিশ্বাসী থাকত। এ জন্য মনটা একটু খারাপ। আমি চেয়েছিলাম সেঞ্চুরির সঙ্গে এমন কিছু করতে যাতে সবাই মনে রাখে।[/বাংলা]

Bond
March 17, 2010, 07:11 AM
Sorry boss, my mother read the newspaper to me so maybe I misinterpret the things to say here. i apologies, mistake become wrong.

Beamer
March 17, 2010, 11:27 AM
Imtiaz bhai

I read your points and generally agree with it. Playing to the gallery is still a part of our psyche, though it has been on a downward spiral, a noticeable positive trend for the future. For example, not too long ago, the 110/5 type of scorecard would have been enough for the rest of the team to throw up their arms in the air, which would have sealed a 160 all out score! At least, now a days, there are enough players in the lower middle order who have the collective spirit to fight. The hundred run + partnerships are coming from team in bad situations. So, the attitude is changing, albeit a bit slowly, but this trend is irreversible in my opinion. Hopefully, this trend will move upwards to the top order batsman, who needs to make sure that the lower middle order is not repeatedly thrown in the same predicament. The top order is very much Tamim dependant, and that is a trend that worries me. Junaid's fighting century is a very welcome sight in that regard. The rest needs to join the party ( no1-4 ).

Some one opened a thread about how and why our players lose the initiative after scoring a century. There is some truth to that. However, a maiden ton is always a special time, and I won't blame the youngsters too much for letting up after reaching such a pressure packed milestone. Most of the recent ton makers just got their maiden tons. I am hoping, from now on, that initial pressure is gone. Not too long ago, we used to lose batsmen after reaching another less significant milestone- half century! At least, hundred is a new benchmark. Pretty soon, the competion will revolve around how many centuries each have. Good start. I will prefer that we get 150/1 a lot more, ending with 500 and beyond, but thats for upcoming years.

Tendulkar_Mcgrath
March 17, 2010, 09:53 PM
Let me start by making it quite clear that this is not meant to be a critcism. This is not a day for criticising our team. They have probably had the 3 best days in a test match since Australia at Fatullah......

snipped

very well written..