PDA

View Full Version : BCB terminates Raqibul's contract and suspend him for 3 months from international cricket

Miraz
March 19, 2010, 09:25 AM
The Bangladesh Cricket Board in its 17th meeting today discussed the ‘retirement’ announcement of cricketer Roqibul Hassan on 10 March 2010 and subsequent letter to the Board on 17 March revoking the decision. Based on the recommendations of the Technical Evaluation Committee the Board has taken the following decisions on the issue:

· The Board considers Roqibul’s conduct in the whole affair as disruptive to the preparation of the Bangladesh Team ahead of a highly important Test match. It was a serious breach of discipline on part of a contracted player and unbecoming of an international cricketer. As such the Board has terminated his contract with immediate effect and he will not be considered for selection in the National Team for three months effective from 19 March to 19 June 2010. However he will be allowed to participate in domestic cricket competitions.

· The Board believes that timely punitive measures would discourage other players from taking similar path in future and has decided that very strict actions will be taken against cricketers who break discipline and BCB’s Code of Conduct.

Miraz
March 19, 2010, 09:27 AM
I have to say this is a very lenient punishment. I hope it will teach Raqibul a lesson and he will stay away from further drama.

Raynman
March 19, 2010, 09:37 AM
So all it means is he is getting a ban of 1 series (in ENG) as he was not in the T20 equation anyways.

I think its a right move by BCB but they should have made it imposing by making it to the end of the year.

But it does send a bad message that Mashrafe will go unpunished for a similar type of conduct.

riankhan
March 19, 2010, 09:38 AM
Having a mixed feelings

deshifan
March 19, 2010, 09:41 AM
I also see it kind of milder admonition.

goru
March 19, 2010, 09:42 AM
The leniency shows just how desperate we are for even "okay" batsmen.

Tiger444
March 19, 2010, 09:42 AM
I think in the end it was a fair punishment..he should definitely get some sort of punishment and this seems like a slap on the wrist sort of thing..hopefully roqibul doesnt repeat this again..im hopeful he will come back strong..

Nafi
March 19, 2010, 09:59 AM
Should never have happened in the first place.

AK420
March 19, 2010, 10:09 AM
The bes punishment there ever is, at least better than having lost contranct forever. I believe mortaza should also be punished for lack of service to the country when we needed it the most. Our bowling sucks mainly pace due to his absence, mortaza should be banned for 10000 hours..lol.

BD-Shardul
March 19, 2010, 10:14 AM
:up:

Tintin
March 19, 2010, 10:14 AM
Fair punishment. Hopefully this is the end of this business, and his past action won't be held against after he comes back

dash
March 19, 2010, 10:16 AM
well he will not be getting his montly salaries untill he gets a contract again

Naimul_Hd
March 19, 2010, 10:19 AM
roqibul should consider himself very lucky here ! he should have been banned for at least 6 months. anyway, i hope nobody will dare to think about threatening any further. we dnt like traitors no matter how good a person he may be !

nannu
March 19, 2010, 10:24 AM
having mixed feeligs too...

its a ideal punishment.. not too weak not too strict.

but i will be glad to see if lotus kamal get a punishment too.

he is the main reason of get this player mad in first place..

mahbubH
March 19, 2010, 10:26 AM
I was expecting for 6 months.

Ajfar
March 19, 2010, 10:27 AM
I would have gave him 6 months at least, 3 months is too lenient. He got lucky. But i doubt he'll walk right in to the team, so he'll have to prove his worth in domestic cricket. Fair enough I guess.

ialbd
March 19, 2010, 10:32 AM
he definitely got lucky.... deserved something worse. But hope thats enough time to recollect himself and make a comeback (unless he thinks this was injustice and wants to start the second episode of the drama)....

our players really have to grow up.... and dorkar hoile eirokom pitay grow up koraite hobe...

p.s: Mashrafee keo duita thappor dia dorkar. kolkatay boshe boshe aro bhuri baraitese....

Tiger Manc
March 19, 2010, 10:34 AM
3 months may be too lenient. Anyways I'm glad BCB handed out the punishment and hope this serves as a warning to players in their conduct. Hopefully Raqibul will think about his actions and comeback stronger.

Miraz
March 19, 2010, 10:35 AM

p.s: Mashrafee keo duita thappor dia dorkar. kolkatay boshe boshe aro bhuri baraitese....

I thought he is on a paid bhuri trimming holiday. ;)

Rabz
March 19, 2010, 11:42 AM
Rock gets away easy. Good for him.
Good on BCB too, atleast they weren't completely spineless.

What I would have loved to see is BCB declaring a proper policy for situations like this. Any future offender should know what kind of punishment they are looking at, irrespective of who they are.

There should be an immediate ban of 1 year from international cricket, along with fines and offcourse, cancellation of contract.

Ananna
March 19, 2010, 11:46 AM
I have to say this is a very lenient punishment. I hope it will teach Raqibul a lesson and he will stay away from further drama.

This is too lenient. He should have been banned from Int'l cricket for at least 2 years for his selfish behavior. But this doesnt surprise me since it is Bangladesh.

Ananna
March 19, 2010, 11:49 AM
And how about a public apology?

Shehwar
March 19, 2010, 11:53 AM
Good decision. Don't think he will be playing for us atleast for a year though!
<br />Posted via BC Mobile Edition (Android)

magic boy
March 19, 2010, 11:57 AM
neither happy nor sad....utterly disgusted since ICL scandal. I hope whoever comes as a replacement of Rakib may he prove Rakib's departure as blessing in disguise to BD cricket.

Beamer
March 19, 2010, 12:03 PM
They had to do this. Feel sorry for him. Its up to him to work hard and work his way back.

Tiger444
March 19, 2010, 12:31 PM
This is too lenient. He should have been banned from Int'l cricket for at least 2 years for his selfish behavior. But this doesnt surprise me since it is Bangladesh.

Did the iclers get punished for that long? Ya they got banned for 10 years at 1st but once they were made available they had the cooling off period..which really wasnt that long..if you think roqibul did sumthin selfish then the iclers did 2..they also left the team high and dry and didnt come back 4 a while..they also chose an icl team over the national team..at least roqibul immediately came back after retiring and also didnt play for another team instead of the national team..and did the iclers say an apology? If they did then prove it 2 me because besides Bashar, i really didnt see anybody else making an apology..

al-Sagar
March 19, 2010, 12:33 PM
so let rakibul concentrate on domestic cricket, the NCL ODI tournament is coming also the PCL

Maddog
March 19, 2010, 12:42 PM
at-least they took some action.. given that they only play 1 series in next 3 months .. this is not much of a loss for him. but it is a loss if you consider the loss of contract and falling out from the team. not sure how his relation with Captain will be after this. it's pretty clear shakib is fed up with indiscipline and will not welcome him with open arm.

Tiger444
March 19, 2010, 12:54 PM
at-least they took some action.. given that they only play 1 series in next 3 months .. this is not much of a loss for him. but it is a loss if you consider the loss of contract and falling out from the team. not sure how his relation with Captain will be after this. it's pretty clear shakib is fed up with indiscipline and will not welcome him with open arm.

And shakib shouldnt..actually no player should be treated with special treatment..either you work hard and give everything on your team or quit..if roqibul comes out and works hard and plays well then shakib will be fine with him..roqibul now has 2 prove himself again in domestic cricket..hes had good averages in domestics so i believe he'll be fine but hes gotta keep on scoring big..

alibangali
March 19, 2010, 01:13 PM
I guess had we performed really poor in the 1st test than his punishment would have been severe. He stills needs to apologise to the team that he let down unless his done that already.
<br />Posted via BC Mobile Edition

Eshen
March 19, 2010, 01:18 PM
19 March - 19 June: He is basically missing three months salary and the Test series in England (but not the ODI series).

When Asia Cup starts?

auntu
March 19, 2010, 01:34 PM
That was soft from the board. Drama king should find himself lucky.
Also it is mentioned that his contract has been terminated. Does it mean any loss from Raqibul's part?
Now will he has to earn that spot? If yes then it's a good decision by the board.

Eshen
March 19, 2010, 01:36 PM
May be he should be asked to show his worth in A-team matches in April.

Tiger444
March 19, 2010, 01:37 PM
BCB punishes Rokibul
Sports Reporter

Bangladesh Cricket Board (BCB) has terminated Rokibul Hasan's players contract with the national team and banned the batsman for three months.

The decision was taken in a board meeting yesterday where his 'retirement' on March 10 and consequent letter revoking the decision was condemned and termed 'disruptive'.

The board took the stance after recommendation from the Technical Evaluation Committee which sat on Thursday after Rokibul submitted the letter to the team's operations manager Shafiqul Haque the day before.

Rokibul will miss out on the substantial salary package with immediate effect and will not be considered for selection in the national team till mid-June of this year.

This means the 22-year-old will miss the England series but the cricket board has allowed him to participate in domestic cricket competitions.

In his instant reaction, Rokibul said he had hoped it would be a lighter punishment and now realises how difficult it would be to restart his cricket career.

"The board did what it thought was best for me but you must understand that it (punishment) is a big blow to any cricketer," said Rokibul.

"I did well against a team like England but now I have to take a long route to the national team," he added.

However BCB considered his behaviour as 'disruptive to the preparation of the Bangladesh team ahead of a highly important Test match' against England in Chittagong. The board thought it was a 'serious breach of discipline on part of a contracted player and unbecoming of an international cricketer'.

It was predicted that he could be banned for up to two years but the board went for only three months. But it still means Rokibul will have to resurrect his cricket career from next season's domestic competitions.

The cricket board took the lighter stance as the player is young but maintained the punishment it delivered was enough for the situation.

"We took his age under consideration before taking any decision. But we still punished the player since we take discipline as the most important for a cricketer," said BCB director Jalal Yunus.

"The board will take tougher measures if any similar situation arises. We will never compromise with player discipline and break of the BCB's code of conduct," said the media committee chairman of BCB.

http://www.thedailystar.net/newDesign/news-details.php?nid=130790

bdtiger
March 19, 2010, 02:05 PM
Good decision by BCB. Bad for Rokibul as he lost his cotract. But he deserves it. I still wonder how someone could make that decision!!

Catskills
March 19, 2010, 02:38 PM
Young blood sometimes makes childish decisions. I hope he learned his lession and come back strong.

shovon13
March 19, 2010, 02:53 PM
good decision. I support it.

meazz1
March 19, 2010, 03:02 PM
I am glad BCB imposed a punishment. For some other instances, BCB just did nothing.

bujhee kom
March 19, 2010, 03:17 PM
I genuinely feel very bad/sad for our Raqibul, but this is the way it had to happen and I wish him well so that he can come back strong. And yes, also Rakibul should consider himself lucky here. And I hope all the young players need to learn to be responsible for your profession, JOB.

Cricmas
March 19, 2010, 03:19 PM
I just can feel sorry for the boy. He deserves the punishment he got and it was needed for his own good. Hope he better utilizes the 3 months period playing in the NCL ODI matches and T20's in PCL scheduled to held at Sharjah. Best of luck ROK.

t697318
March 19, 2010, 03:32 PM
brilliant call!

zainab
March 19, 2010, 03:34 PM
I feel sorry for Rok, he should have listened and not give in to the whim of the moment. Hopefully, he will learn that actions have consequences and words return to bite you.

I fear that he will have to wait until the end of the year before he will be considered for the national team, or maybe never. He is lucky that he was not banned from domestic cricket, at least he will still play, but should be considered for the A team, and play first class matches. He is young and BCB should not ruin his career.

Hopefully, he will learn from this mistake and learn to control his emotions, he should have considered that it was an honour and privilege to play for the National team and not throw it away, now, he realizes the value
of being a national player.

Zobair
March 19, 2010, 06:17 PM
BCB did well in this instance.

Rokib must put his head down and let his bat do the talking once again...like he should have done earlier.

cricket_pagol
March 19, 2010, 06:28 PM
BCB did well in this instance.

Rokib must put his head down and let his bat do the talking once again...like he should have done earlier.

I think the punishment is fair. I hope he fights hard and proves us that he has learned from this experiment.

M.H.Rubel
March 20, 2010, 03:19 PM

BCB has given Punishment to Rokibul for a very small period it proves that BCB has a fault.Its totally unfair for BCB to cross a name from the selectors list BCB must have respect about their player.
<br />Posted via BC Mobile Edition

Baundule
March 20, 2010, 04:28 PM
Deserved punishment; but double standard from the BCB.
Is the main cause of Raqibul's incident getting punished? NO.
So, it is not a solution.

kmasum
March 20, 2010, 04:34 PM
bcb went too ez on him... how come mash gettin a free ride?? double standard?

amar11432
March 21, 2010, 02:13 AM
Raqibul threw Bangladesh’s plans into disarray the day before the opening Test in Chittagong when he announced his retirement plans on the team bus. However on March 17, he sent another letter to the board reversing his decision. “That (resigning from the team) was a decision taken in haste and I shall repent on it for ever now.”

“My family members and friends tried to persuade me but I didn’t listen to them,” he added.
However, his neighbour is instrumental in brainwashing player’s mind. “MD Polas, my neighbour, whom I consider as my big brother acted as a psychologist for me and changed my mind and on his persual, I withdrew my resignation,” 22-year-old Raqibul, also nicknamed as Nirala, said.

Interestingly, he is the first Bangladeshi cricketer to score a triple hundred in first class cricket when Barisal played Sylhet Division in March 2007. He made his Test debut against South Africa in November 2008.

http://www.nation.com.pk/pakistan-news-newspaper-daily-english-online/Sports/21-Mar-2010/Suspended-Raqib-wants-to-play-in-Asia-Cup

WTF? If he is that mentally frailed where he listens to his neighbor rather than the Nation's calling; then he should even be playing cricket. :mad:

magic boy
March 21, 2010, 02:19 AM
[বাংলা]‘আমি ভুল করেছিলাম’

সবাইকে চমকে দিয়ে অবসর নিয়ে ফেলেছিলেন, সেই রেশ কাটতে না-কাটতেই আবার নিয়েছেন ফিরে আসার সিদ্ধান্ত। বোর্ডের কেন্দ্রীয় চুক্তি বাতিল এবং তিন মাসের নিষেধাজ্ঞা পাওয়ার পরদিন রকিবুল হাসান জানালেন তাঁর অবসর, ফিরে আসা আর ভবিষ্যত্ পরিকল্পনা নিয়ে...

 আবার তো ক্রিকেটে ফিরছেন, কেমন লাগছে?
রকিবুল হাসান: ভালো, খুব ভালো লাগছে। দেশের হয়ে খেলতে কে না চায়, এর চেয়ে বড় সম্মানের আর কী আছে? আবার দেশের হয়ে খেলতে পারব ভেবেই ভালো লাগছে।
 কিন্তু এই সম্মানটা তো নিজের হাতেই ছুড়ে ফেলেছিলেন, সবাইকে অবাক করে দিয়ে অবসর নিয়ে নিলেন...
রকিবুল: আসলে আবেগের বশবর্তী হয়ে মানুষ কত কিছুই তো করে। আর মানুষের জীবনে ভুলও হয়। আমি ভুল করেছিলাম, ইমোশনাল হয়ে বড় একটা সিদ্ধান্ত নিয়েছিলাম। ইমোশনাল হয়ে এমন সিদ্ধান্ত নিয়ে আমি বড় একটা ভুল করেছিলাম।
 ভুলটা কখন বুঝতে পারলেন? ফিরে আসার ইচ্ছাটা জাগল কখন?
রকিবুল: তিন-চার দিন পরই। আর ক্রিকেট খেলব না ভাবতেই খুব মন খারাপ লাগছিল, কেমন ফাঁকা ফাঁকা লাগছিল। বাবা-মা, ভাইবোনেরা যখন বোঝাল তখন মনে হচ্ছিল, কী করলাম। দেশের প্রতিনিধিত্ব করা একটা বিশাল ব্যাপার, আর আমি সুযোগ পেয়েও নিলাম না, খুব খারাপ লাগছিল। অনেক সাবেক ক্রিকেটার, সাবেক অধিনায়কেরাও ফোন করে কথা বলেছেন।
 অবসর নেওয়ার কারণটা আসলে কী ছিল, আগে যেমন বলেছিলেন তেমনটাই কি?
রকিবুল: হ্যাঁ, তাই। আসলে দল থেকে বাদ পড়লে কার না খারাপ লাগে বলুন? টি-টোয়েন্টির দল থেকে বাদ পড়লাম, ওয়ানডে দলে জায়গা হলো না, মনটা খারাপ হয়ে গিয়েছিল। নিয়মিত ক্রিকেটার হয়েও যদি দলে না থাকি, তাহলে কি ভালো লাগে? খুব বেশি হতাশ হয়ে পড়েছিলাম।
 আপনি অবসর নেওয়ার পর তো আপনার পরিবারের সবারও মন খারাপ হয়ে গিয়েছিল...
রকিবুল: তা তো হবেই, পরিবারের একটা ছেলে দেশের হয়ে খেললে সবারই গর্ব থাকে। অবসর নেওয়ার পর সবাই আমার পাশে ছিল, সবাই অনেক বুঝিয়েছে যে আমার সিদ্ধান্তটা মনে হয় ঠিক না।
 সতীর্থদের সঙ্গে যোগাযোগ হয়নি?
রকিবুল: হ্যাঁ, সবার সঙ্গেই কথা হয়েছে। আমার ফিরে আসার একটা কারণ এটাও। সবাই আমাকে অনেক বুঝিয়েছে, বলেছে ‘তুই অনেক ভালো খেলোয়াড়, কেন ছাড়বি’ এসব।
 ফিরে আসার সিদ্ধান্ত নেওয়ার পর কথা হয়নি?
রকিবুল: হয়েছে, সবাই বলেছে ভালো করেছিস।
 বাংলাদেশ ইংল্যান্ডের সঙ্গে সিরিজ খেলছে, আপনারও তো এর অংশ হওয়ার কথা ছিল। খারাপ লাগছে না?
রকিবুল: চট্টগ্রাম টেস্ট দেখেছি টিভিতে, আজও (কাল) দেখেছি। দলের বাইরে থাকলে তো খারাপ লাগারই কথা। মাঠের ক্রিকেট, প্র্যাকটিস, মাঠের বাইরের আবহ, দলের পরিবেশ, সবাই মিলে মজা করা, সবকিছুই খুব মিস করছি।
 ক্রিকেট বোর্ড তো চুক্তি বাতিলসহ তিন মাস দলে নিষিদ্ধ করল। আপনার প্রতিক্রিয়া কী?
রকিবুল: একজন খেলোয়াড়ের জন্য মাঠের বাইরে বসে থাকার মতো কষ্টের কাজ আর নেই, তিন মাস তো অনেক সময়। তার পরও আমি এটাকে ইতিবাচক দৃষ্টিতেই দেখছি। ক্রিকেট বোর্ড বাংলাদেশ ক্রিকেটের অভিভাবক, অবশ্যই ক্রিকেটের ভালো চায় তারা। নিশ্চয়ই ভেবেচিন্তে ক্রিকেটের ভালোর জন্যই এই সিদ্ধান্ত নিয়েছে তারা।
 ইংল্যান্ডে ওয়ানডে সিরিজের আগেই নিষেধাজ্ঞার মেয়াদকাল শেষ হবে, ওই সিরিজেই ফেরার আশা করছেন?
রকিবুল: আসলে আমি কোনো লক্ষ্য ঠিক করছি না। কবে ফিরতে পারব জানি না, শুধু জানি যত তাড়াতাড়ি সম্ভব ফিরতে হবে। [/বাংলা]

প্রথম আলো (http://www.prothom-alo.com/detail/date/2010-03-21/news/50490)

amar11432
March 21, 2010, 02:22 AM
^^ Translation somebody? At least paraphrase?

Eshen
March 21, 2010, 02:26 AM
Is Rock telling PA and the Paki media two different stories or the Paki media just making stuff up?!