PDA

View Full Version : Shakib blames board for lack of review system

reverse_swing
March 22, 2010, 08:53 AM
Nevertheless, in Shakib's opinion, the blame lay less with the umpires, Rod Tucker and Tony Hill, and more with the board who baulked at the prospect of paying for the umpiring technology, but were nevertheless happy to pay to have the stadium facilities repainted overnight and decked out in flowers, to welcome the arrival of the ICC president, David Morgan.

"If they had taken the referral system, they would have had to spend some money because the system is expensive," he said. "But, yes, I think it was more important for us [than all these flowers]."
Source : Cricinfo (http://www.cricinfo.com/bdeshveng2010/content/current/story/453049.html)

unda_bhai
March 22, 2010, 08:55 AM
"You know what the decisions were and what they should have been, but I don't want to make any comment. You all saw it on the TV."

shot!!

magic boy
March 22, 2010, 09:02 AM
Excellent speech ! Kudos to Shakib for bringing the real fact !!

Ajfar
March 22, 2010, 09:17 AM
who said shakib doesn't have huevos??

skhondoker
March 22, 2010, 09:22 AM
brave words from the cap!
The board are too busy to put some of the cash in their own pockets....I do not trust this Loitta a bit!

al-Sagar
March 22, 2010, 09:22 AM
i thing ny the time we play NZ home, UDRS will be mandatory

_Rafi_
March 22, 2010, 09:28 AM
He also said that he dont have enough moneys and dont want to be fined by making any comments against umpires.
Source-NTV

AK420
March 22, 2010, 09:34 AM
What do you mean by he does not have enough money. For every match cricketers ge loads of money

aklemalp
March 22, 2010, 10:01 AM
this is shakib the ice man speaking,the english wanted every decision in their favor,and for umpiring,a lot leaves to be desired

baisab
March 22, 2010, 10:33 AM
Well if we had the UDRS it probably looked like this.

KP LWB at 30, scored 45, extra 15
Prior LBW at 9, scored 62, extra 53
Bell LBW at 82, scored 138, extra 56
Bressnan Caugt on 5, on 74*, extra 69* and counting

So thats 193* runs and counting, just so you know this would have meant 247/7 at tea with only the tail remaining.

Surely the board should realise by now that as our team improves and matches go down to the line we will inevitably end up being on the recieving end of poor match turning decisions.

BTW anyone know how much the UDRS costs per match/series?

BD-Shardul
March 22, 2010, 10:36 AM
Even the third umpire who judges the referrals in UDRS could be biased.

AsifTheManRahman
March 22, 2010, 10:40 AM
Even the third umpire who judges the referrals in UDRS could be biased.
Yes, but it would be hard for him to get away with obvious mistakes.

simon
March 22, 2010, 10:47 AM

So thats 193* runs and counting, just so you know this would have meant 247/7 at tea with only the tail remaining.

Surely the board should realise by now that as our team improves and matches go down to the line we will inevitably end up being on the recieving end of poor match turning decisions.

very good analyse mate!

AsifTheManRahman
March 22, 2010, 10:52 AM
What will happen here is Shakib will probably get reprimanded by the match referee and so will Siddons. But good on them for speaking up.

For all his problems with the board, Shakib has done well to point out its failure in getting the UDRS and it took guts. At the end of the day, however, the UDRS is a tool to assist umpires, not do their jobs for them. Those two idiots shouldn't be umpiring in international matches. Or FC matches either.

RazabQ
March 22, 2010, 11:23 AM
Kudos to Shakib for pointing out what the controllables are! We can't control umpiring biases thinly veiled as "human errors". What we can control is the legally available means to say "f-you I think you are a moron and I want a replay!" Mr. Lotus is too busy wearing loud ties, talking on his mobile and boot-licking ICC honchos. I want someone to tell me the cost of URDS and then compare that to the cost of "gosha-moja" and the last 100 expense account charges by Mr. Lotus!!!

Beamer
March 22, 2010, 11:23 AM
I am glad he said it. He is brutally honest, and I like him for that.

Beamer
March 22, 2010, 11:26 AM
How much can it really cost? seriously? 10K, 20K ? I just don't get it. Three bowling machines in the whole country? If you don't spend on modern necessities, basics and infrastructural needs, why even bother playing ?

Miraz
March 22, 2010, 11:33 AM
Kudos to Shakib for pointing out what the controllables are! We can't control umpiring biases thinly veiled as "human errors". What we can control is the legally available means to say "f-you I think you are a moron and I want a replay!" Mr. Lotus is too busy wearing loud ties, talking on his mobile and boot-licking ICC honchos. I want someone to tell me the cost of URDS and then compare that to the cost of "gosha-moja" and the last 100 expense account charges by Mr. Lotus!!!

Nimbus wanted 1 crore BDT for the UDRS. The terms of our contract with Nimbus is very poor and Nimbus routinely utilises the terms of the original contract for financial gains (in simple terms blackmails) whenever there is a slight deviation from the original playing conditions.

Beamer
March 22, 2010, 11:51 AM
1 crore for each series? or is it a one time pay for the duration of our contract with Nimbus ?

Miraz
March 22, 2010, 12:03 PM
1 crore for each series? or is it a one time pay for the duration of our contract with Nimbus ?

Not sure, I can check it with BCB and let you know tomorrow.

Beamer
March 22, 2010, 12:07 PM
Ok, thanks.

al Furqaan
March 22, 2010, 12:25 PM
we need to make nimbus an "offer they can't refuse"

godzilla
March 22, 2010, 12:27 PM
This boy has balls and since his fanbase is so huge he is almost invincible. He is right though. BCB has money to arrange flowers and paint the halls and not pay for the system and then blame the players for not winning matches ... Well then f..k em all!!

dark mage
March 22, 2010, 12:32 PM

Add to that Tamim's out which wasnt an out, if he stayed and went on to get a 100, our total would've been bigger and Tamim would have been in the record books. I love Shakib about how brutally honest he is, and doesnt back-down in criticizinf sceniors like Mash or speak out against BCB. That's why he is fit to be the captain, whatever mistakkes he is making in-field, he will improve with time and experience

alibangali
March 22, 2010, 12:55 PM
He did what ever he could do with his statements and so did siddons. The fact is with a board run by selfish power and money hungry fools there is no hope for us. We will constantly be tormented until our souls lose the ability to feel hurt (on such matters).

auntu
March 22, 2010, 01:23 PM
It is definitely worth sending bucks for the referral system.
Well said Shakib. I hope BCB morons would understand that.

dolcevita
March 22, 2010, 01:58 PM
It is definitely worth sending bucks for the referral system.
Well said Shakib. I hope BCB morons would understand that.

Lotus kamal is a morons that the fact . Doesn't expect something from him
<br />Posted via BC Mobile Edition (iPhone)

cricket_pagol
March 22, 2010, 02:00 PM
Kudos to Shakib for being brutally honest, but he is making enemies and they will be out to get him when he is going through a lean patch.

cricket_pagol
March 22, 2010, 02:02 PM
Nimbus wanted 1 crore BDT for the UDRS. The terms of our contract with Nimbus is very poor and Nimbus routinely utilises the terms of the original contract for financial gains (in simple terms blackmails) whenever there is a slight deviation from the original playing conditions.

When cricket is our national obsession, I crore BDT is worth it even it is only available for a series.

Roni_uk
March 22, 2010, 02:09 PM
hold on a sec.. why Nimbus and why 1 crore. Put me in the field and give me a tele, I will tell the umpires for FREE whether its a out or not. Why are they giving us an expensive solution to an issue which is not even an issue?

Ajfar
March 22, 2010, 02:17 PM
someone please explain to me what's so different about UDRS then just regular third umpire? third umpire already has excess to a bunch of angles, just give him access to hawk-eye, what else does he need?

nannu
March 22, 2010, 02:20 PM
Still, everything is possible - win, draw or loss," said Shakib. "I don't think we are in a very bad position, because the match is still very balanced and both teams are under pressure. But we have more pressure, because we cannot always play consistently well."

just read the full article..best speech i ever heard from a bd captain... he has self-knowledge..

with such a captain.. the day is not far when we will consistently...

dolcevita
March 22, 2010, 02:27 PM
Kudos to Shakib for being brutally honest, but he is making enemies and they will be out to get him when he is going through a lean patch.

You want him to shut up ?
The fact is : SHAKIB AL HASAN is the most powerpul person in BD cricket ...the public opinion is behind him

Bond
March 22, 2010, 02:31 PM
The fact is : SHAKIB AL HASAN is the most powerpul person in BD cricket ...the public opinion is behind him

We can't do anything if Shakib gets banned for life. Have you forgotten, how Lotus made him kneel down and beg for mercy and yes then too Lotus was untouchable.

dolcevita
March 22, 2010, 02:37 PM
We can't do anything if Shakib gets banned for life. Have you forgotten, how Lotus made him kneel down and beg for mercy and yes then too Lotus was untouchable.
I am not sure that lotus make shakib on kneel... Shakib is a very proud person I can't imagine him on lotus kneel , I think it was a misinterpretation from media

Bond
March 22, 2010, 02:38 PM
Also, I blame the umpires more than the Board. One or two decision I can understand, but there were 5 decisions which went against us also Bell and Bresnan were seen having a gentle chat with umpires, very unacceptable. Have you guys also forgotten what happened in the 1st innings, Shahadat given out when there was no appeal from Prior who dropped the ball nor the bowler and Mr. Tucker raised his finger. The blame goes first to the incompetent umpires then to BCB.

jawaherul
March 22, 2010, 02:40 PM
I looooooooooove our captain. this boy has guts. Extra-ordinary speech. best speech ever by a bangladeshi captain.

btw, liked the comment of godfather faruqaan vai...

zainab
March 22, 2010, 06:11 PM
If these umpires are from NZ and Australia, based on the colonial past, they will favour the English team. Remember, England were the masters at one time, in fact, they are the ones who introduced cricket to the colonies.
amazing that top umpires are umpiring for the IPL, but BD series got second rate umpires.
Money speaks. i guess Moni made calls against BD is because he did not want to be seen favouring BD, so the safest bet is to give it out and favour the opposing team. i hope that BD does not appoint him anymore, even in domestic matches. he is a moron.
I guess these umpires dont care because the ICC will not penalize them, so it is BCB's duty to pursue this matter, and do not accept these umpires anymore for their matches, I heard that they can refuse to agree to allow umpires umpiring on the home ground.

cricket_pagol
March 22, 2010, 06:44 PM

I don't want him to shut up, in fact i admire him a lot! I just want him to be prepared for counter attack from board officials, when he is in a lean patch. Take for example our brazilian football coach, he was really popular but was kicked out of the team because of politics.

In the beginning I thought the picture of Lotus and Shakib is a big misrepresentation but I cannot find any reason as why a player would kneel down like that.

Shehwar
March 22, 2010, 06:52 PM
I don't want him to shut up, in fact i admire him a lot! I just want him to be prepared for counter attack from board officials, when he is in a lean patch. Take for example our brazilian football coach, he was really popular but was kicked out of the team because of politics.

In the beginning I thought the picture of Lotus and Shakib is a big misrepresentation but I cannot find any reason as why a player would kneel down like that.

Where is that picture? I wanna see it!
<br />Posted via BC Mobile Edition

Sohel
March 22, 2010, 08:05 PM
I am glad he said it. He is brutally honest, and I like him for that.

AND he did it with a boyish smile on his face during the PC.

beshideshi
March 22, 2010, 08:30 PM
The sad thing is, we already have the hawk eye technology in this series, and the only thing that held up the UDRS was the hot spot technology. Which is a real shame for our team.
PS: I am not sure whether this hawk eye technology is the same one used in UDRS, but the hawk eye looks very similar to the one used in NZ.

kalpurush
March 22, 2010, 08:39 PM
Ice man and Co. should turn this umpiring saga to not only a moral victory but to an on field victory as well.

LateCut
March 22, 2010, 09:28 PM
I have to admit that Shakib has balls. He is also learning to be restrained.Notice how he skillfully refrained from directly blaming the umpires. On the other hand he did not fail to refer to the video replays which make it very clear who should primarily be blamed. He just said as much as possible without getting his match fee docked.

Peace
March 22, 2010, 09:50 PM
Agree that Shakib has been honest but he needs to be more diplomatic, specially when commenting publicly about fellow teammate's performance. This is the issue he needs to discuss with selectors in the dressing room- not in public. This affects team's morale and destabilses professional relationship with others. I do not want him to invite politics among players in the team.

LateCut
March 22, 2010, 09:55 PM
http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2010/mar/22/bangladesh-england-umpire-review-system

See this for more venom and admission by another sportswriter.

gravitY
March 22, 2010, 09:59 PM
I liked what Shakib said and the way he said... perfect.

Lota should concentrate on working on these items than just buying flowers from Morgan.

salin
March 23, 2010, 02:18 AM
1 crore is not a big amount this days. even mashrafi is capable to pay

AsifTheManRahman
March 23, 2010, 08:28 AM
So they fined Siddons: http://www.cricinfo.com/bdeshveng2010/content/current/story/453188.html

Now who will fine the umpires?

auntu
March 23, 2010, 01:29 PM
so they fined siddons: http://www.cricinfo.com/bdeshveng2010/content/current/story/453188.html

now who will fine the umpires?
[বাংলা]বিচারপতি তোমার বিচার করবে যারা আজ জেগেছে এই জনতা।[/বাংলা]

Imtiazk
March 23, 2010, 01:39 PM
By the way, amongst all this Sakib-praising, I did not like his criticism of Razzak. He should not have done this in public. Such things should be done within the dressing room. Today Razzak, tomorrow whom ?

This is not good man management. You will never see Alex Ferguson or Wenger ever criticise their players in the media. Inside the dressing room, it might be a different matter.

Neel Here
March 23, 2010, 01:40 PM
So they fined Siddons: http://www.cricinfo.com/bdeshveng2010/content/current/story/453188.html

Now who will fine the umpires?

quis ipsodiet ipsos custodes ? this system is broken down. either you have to be pedigreed like the old masters, eng, aus or nz or you have to have muscle power like BCCI (and even that doesn't save India most of the time), nothing else works. pathetic.

BD-Shardul
March 23, 2010, 01:44 PM
By the way, amongst all this Sakib-praising, I did not like his criticism of Razzak. He should not have done this in public. Such things should be done within the dressing room. Today Razzak, tomorrow whom ?

This is not good man management. You will never see Alex Ferguson or Wenger ever criticise their players in the media. Inside the dressing room, it might be a different matter.

That was the right thing. The captain reserves the right to express his frustration if a man under his command fails to deliver according to expectation. If Dhoni can warn Tendulkar publicly for not performing, I don't see any reason why Shakib cannot criticize Raz who lost focus every over and conceded a boundary.

Imtiazk
March 23, 2010, 02:00 PM
That was the right thing. The captain reserves the right to express his frustration if a man under his command fails to deliver according to expectation. If Dhoni can warn Tendulkar publicly for not performing, I don't see any reason why Shakib cannot criticize Raz who lost focus every over and conceded a boundary.

So who will criticise Shakib for repeatedly executing that horrible slog-sweep ?

BD-Shardul
March 23, 2010, 02:20 PM
So who will criticise Shakib for repeatedly executing that horrible slog-sweep ?

[বাংলা]লোটাইচ্চা[/বাংলা] ;)

Peace
March 23, 2010, 03:00 PM
[বাংলা]লোটাইচ্চা[/বাংলা] ;)
so why loota was wrong and shakib is right for the same conduct?

WarWolf
March 23, 2010, 03:03 PM
so why loota was wrong and shakib is right for the same conduct?

[বাংলা]কারন লোইচ্চা আগে থেকেই তেলো মাথায় তেল ঢালার দায়ে আভিযুক্ত। কিন্তু সাকিব তা না। [/বাংলা]

Peace
March 23, 2010, 03:21 PM
[বাংলা]কারন লোইচ্চা আগে থেকেই তেলো মাথায় তেল ঢালার দায়ে আভিযুক্ত। কিন্তু সাকিব তা না। [/বাংলা]

One issue at a time. The issue here is criticism of subordinate personnel, publicly.

If Shakib was upset of lotus’s comment that BD players play irresponsibly, similarly, Razzak has right to be upset although both lotus and Shakib were right in their judgement.

We need to remember-
"Treat others, the way you want to be treated"

Bond
March 23, 2010, 07:24 PM

he replies openly, kicks u in the forehead and makes u bleed.