PDA

View Full Version : Tamim's Day of Reckoning is Here

al Furqaan
March 22, 2010, 03:30 PM
The first day of judgement for Bangladesh's most naturally gifted cricketer since Ashraful has arrived. Mirpur, Day 4 of the 2nd Test against England.

Bangladesh will likely face a deficit of at least (and hopefully not more than) 50 runs. Tamim must score at least 50 runs to avoid the choker tag. So far he's done as well as one could hope, however imperfect his record may be.

Against India in the 2007 world cup opener he cracked 51. But that doesn't count since as a rookie he had the least amount of pressure on the team. Plus, he was an unknown quantity and failure would not have had any real personal consequences.

The 128 against WI was a true test, but the team was a minnow team and hence loses much of its gloss.

The 154 against zimbabwe was similarily against a minnow team, on a flat deck, and in an ODI.

The 151 against India was solid, but as soon as the match became interesting, Tamim got out. A 200 would have done the job, but Tamim disappeared just when the game came alive, IMO.

So what will happen today? Will he fall for a duck - as the law of averages can easily suggest? Will he score a fifty and fall soon after? Will he hit a 100 and lead Bangladesh to a draw? Can he hit a 100 and lead Bangladesh to a winning position?

His talk of "I want hundreds, not fifties" is good and well, and today, perhaps by surprise, he gets his first chance of hopefully many, to prove that he can walk the walk as well.

AsifTheManRahman
March 22, 2010, 03:39 PM
100 within a session! :D

Then another 100 in the next two.

Raynman
March 22, 2010, 03:44 PM

...and we declare only after Lara's record is broken on day 5 :D

Spitfire_x86
March 22, 2010, 03:53 PM
Which record? 400 or 501? :D

AsifTheManRahman
March 22, 2010, 03:57 PM
Which record? 400 or 501? :D
Both ;)

dolcevita
March 22, 2010, 04:19 PM

Not need to bat like in T20 . Draw will be a GOOD result for us
<br />Posted via BC Mobile Edition (iPhone)

Bancan
March 22, 2010, 05:33 PM
He wont score much today.

cricman
March 22, 2010, 05:43 PM
Thanks Assad

0-20 Score, here it comes Tamim

Bancan
March 22, 2010, 05:50 PM
Lol i know eh...you screwed us AF.

simon
March 22, 2010, 06:11 PM
I want a big hundred no matter who the btsmn is.

Roni_uk
March 22, 2010, 06:19 PM
sorry but the luck is not with us in this series.. umpires, drop catches everything despite our first innings high score. I reckon he will be out within 20 runs :(.. hope I am wrong.

DJ Sahastra
March 22, 2010, 09:04 PM
Such threads scare me. They have a bad omen - more like a jinx. Shhhhh works better.
<br />Posted via BC Mobile Edition (iPhone)

Sohel
March 22, 2010, 09:09 PM
And Asaad continues his mission to battle jinxes in different ways with reckless courage and singular determination. GOD be with you brother!

cricket_king
March 22, 2010, 10:49 PM
No jinx can defeat Tamim. Get ready for a triple century ladies and gents. :flag:

Rabz
March 23, 2010, 12:19 AM
I'm not gonna comment till the end of the day.
Not risking the "jinx" factor.

al-Sagar
March 23, 2010, 01:40 AM
i hope for the best players get the best rewards.

simon
March 23, 2010, 05:57 AM
Tamim did very well in this Test series but I am disappointed that he couldn't convert any of those 3 50+ scores to a 100.

zainab
March 23, 2010, 06:44 AM
Tamim lacks patience, he wants to score as quickly as possible and have a short abode at the wicket. IMO, he is playing for himself and not for the team, He should have known that BD had a chance to draw this test and try and stay at the wicket for at least 3 hours, he would have scored a century, but I guess he is still immature, and he still has that rush of blood that defeats him all the time. He should have known that he is one of the key batsmen, but forgets that the team depends on him. Also this is happening to many batsmen, IMO, Mushy plays for the team and not for himself.

Ananna
March 23, 2010, 07:00 AM
His talk of "I want hundreds, not fifties" is good and well, and today, perhaps by surprise, he gets his first chance of hopefully many, to prove that he can walk the walk as well.

If thats what you want you have to be patient and responsible. Instead what did you do today? Exactly the opposite. You got 3 lives today (1 lolypop and 2 hard) yet you couldnt capitalize on that and got out playing a rash shot. Any world class player would have made a big 100 if he were you. the example is right in front of you: Ian bell.

Shaan
March 23, 2010, 08:21 AM
Problem with tamim that he got the damn care attitude which is not only stoping him scoring big tons also make him look like some abul is playing cricket without any sense. I wonder when will he matured up and play sensibly! He should show some commitment and responsibility for the country, at least the time when team needs big support from him. If he continue like this oneday he will see that someone else with better temperment taken his place, someone who is more comitted and sincere. Nothing is permanent!!
<br />Posted via BC Mobile Edition (1)

AsifTheManRahman
March 23, 2010, 08:26 AM
Someone needs to tell him that his damn care attitude will not work, at least not yet. He isn't Sehwag - he can't hit for hours and get away with it.

Fazal
March 23, 2010, 08:36 AM
What a wastage of talent.

Yes he is getting some decent scores, but it could have been much much better only if he realize that its a chase game and you need to adjust based on situation.

And thats' why even he was set in both cases, he failed again to take it fruther an dnot only helped his career to go fruther, biut also helped the team in BIG way.

AK420
March 23, 2010, 09:00 AM
Tamim is our best batsmen but bot is not like sehwag, cant bat long innings.

simon
March 23, 2010, 10:16 AM
as i said before,that 151 jinxed him too much,that's why he wants to score with bounderies.
And it's not that he isn't scoring well,so far in this Test series he is the 2nd top scorer after Bell.
But he surely needs to bat a bit according to the situation.

aklemalp
March 23, 2010, 10:24 AM
common sense in batting is what is require ,don't try to bat like a certain someone from india

Ajfar
March 23, 2010, 11:39 AM
Tamim needs some McInnes style Ice bath. I have no problem with his damn care attitude, but if its gonna cost him his wicket like this than what's the point of this damn care attitude.

sensible
March 23, 2010, 11:52 AM
At the top level, a good batsman bats according to the need of his team. If the team needs him to attack the bowling, he does that. But if the team needs him to settle down, he should also be able to do that. This is where our great batsmen are failing. At the professional level, cricket is not about the entertainment value of batting and scoring 4s and 6s. It's also about the team and what the need of any particular moment of the innings.

riankhan
March 23, 2010, 12:57 PM
At the top level, a good batsman bats according to the need of his team. If the team needs him to attack the bowling, he does that. But if the team needs him to settle down, he should also be able to do that. This is where our great batsmen are failing. At the professional level, cricket is not about the entertainment value of batting and scoring 4s and 6s. It's also about the team and what the need of any particular moment of the innings.

Sensible comment (not Shamim Chow "sensible")

zainab
March 24, 2010, 08:56 PM

Very true! Tamim in his interview said that he wanted to be the best batsman for BD. He is defeating this purpose by batting the way he does, has no clue to assess the situation, he could have scored a century, if he did not deal in boundaries all the time. He does have patience, as in the knock against Zim, but he loses it many times, also, he should not bother about sledging from the fielding side, they do it to upset him, then he plays a rash shot and gets out.