PDA

View Full Version : [Frankly ] utterly optimistic scenarios...

Imtiazk
March 23, 2010, 02:18 PM
1. Bangladesh only loses 1 wicket [ Shafiul ] and scores 90 runs before lunch.

Lead 185

2a. In the next hour, they lose all remaining wickets and scores another 40 runs.

England need 226 to win in, say, 43 overs. Easy.

2b. In the next 90 minutes, they lose all remaining wickets and scores another 60 runs.

England need 246 to win in, say, 36 overs. Might be possible to hold on.

Remember, no powerplays. No restriction in field placing [ almost ]. Bowling down leg side is permitted unless too wide , of course. Bouncers can be used as a defensive ball.

I feel , scenario 2b is the minimum Bangladesh needs to do. 150 runs in 3.5 hours. Basically, Shakib and Naeem has to put up a partnership of 100.

Turning ball ! Two vastly experienced off-spinners who have played in such scenarios at county level many times. Plus Bresnan and Broad reversing. Difficult. But not impossible.

3. Bangladesh packs it in , in 45 minutes.

Your call ?

dolcevita
March 23, 2010, 02:26 PM
All depend on shakib and naeem if shakib can repeat his heroic inning as he played in NZ it will be a draw
<br />Posted via BC Mobile Edition (iPhone)

Fazal
March 23, 2010, 02:29 PM
We worry too much....Just stop worring and start singing "All is well" and enjoy the game.

Imtiazk
March 23, 2010, 02:30 PM
All depend on shakib and naeem if shakib can repeat his heroic inning as he played in NZ it will be a draw

Posted via BC Mobile Edition (iPhone)

I believe the last realistic chance vanished with Mushfiq. However, if Shafiul can take up 30/45 minutes then some hope might be engendered. But crucially without a 100 stand between Shakib and Naeem, I cannot see any other faint possibility.

Beamer
March 23, 2010, 02:43 PM
To me, there is no difference between a 1-0 and 2-0 loss in a series. Our goal should be to draw level in the series, which seems beyond reach ( thanks largely to the two headed monsters from Southern hemisphere ), but I would be happier if they came out punching, even if that means a test loss. We should not bat more than one session. We should bat to post a target. It all depends on what the team wants. If we want to draw, then the goal should be to remain in the pitch for as long as possible.

Shakil_TX
March 23, 2010, 02:54 PM
Winning for us is out of the question for us. Draw is a remote possibility depending on how Shakib carries on in the morning.

zazabor
March 23, 2010, 03:03 PM
3. Thr is no chance for draw or win..think real ..emotion diye chinta kore lav nai..

rinathq
March 23, 2010, 03:07 PM
I agree, there are very few chances of draw. Sakib won't be able to hold it off. Naeem might. but thats it. If it only was mushy instead of Sakib i wouldve been confident

Zunaid
March 23, 2010, 03:07 PM
Whatever happens - we need to last through lunch.... the rest will follow

Imtiazk
March 23, 2010, 03:11 PM
To me, there is no difference between a 1-0 and 2-0 loss in a series. Our goal should be to draw level in the series, which seems beyond reach ( thanks largely to the two headed monsters from Southern hemisphere ), but I would be happier if they came out punching, even if that means a test loss. We should not bat more than one session. We should bat to post a target. It all depends on what the team wants. If we want to draw, then the goal should be to remain in the pitch for as long as possible.

Sorry to disagree with you. As most of our players have been brought up in the one day era, drawing is not part of our culture now. A fighting draw feels almost as good as a win simply because you denied your opponents what they coveted.

If you had watched the closing moments at Cardiff when Anderson and Panesar hung on was inspiring. Of course, Collies 74 preceded that. It was because of that draw that England won the Ashes.

A low run chase I remember quite well was in 1987, when England only needed 123 to win off 18 overs against Pakistan. They failed or the match ended with England finishing at 109/7. Imran and Wasim bowled all the 18 overs between them. There were lots of run outs, I seem to recall. It was gripping stuff. Of course, the ultimate being Willis bowling out Australia for 111 at Leeds in 1981, when he took 8 wickets. England won by 18 runs !!

Imtiazk
March 23, 2010, 03:15 PM
3. Thr is no chance for draw or win..think real ..emotion diye chinta kore lav nai..

If I didn't think through my emotions, I would not wake up at 3:25 am every morning. After all , realistically, I knew the results before England even landed in Bangladesh !!!

Miraz
March 23, 2010, 03:17 PM
If we can take a lead of 200 runs, the match will be ended in a draw. England will need more than 50 overs to chase it down.

We need to stay at the wicket for another 40 overs.

Ananna
March 23, 2010, 03:35 PM
1. Bangladesh only loses 1 wicket [ Shafiul ] and scores 90 runs before lunch.

Lead 185

2a. In the next hour, they lose all remaining wickets and scores another 40 runs.

England need 226 to win in, say, 43 overs. Easy.

2b. In the next 90 minutes, they lose all remaining wickets and scores another 60 runs.

England need 246 to win in, say, 36 overs. Might be possible to hold on.

Remember, no powerplays. No restriction in field placing [ almost ]. Bowling down leg side is permitted unless too wide , of course. Bouncers can be used as a defensive ball.

I feel , scenario 2b is the minimum Bangladesh needs to do. 150 runs in 3.5 hours. Basically, Shakib and Naeem has to put up a partnership of 100.

Turning ball ! Two vastly experienced off-spinners who have played in such scenarios at county level many times. Plus Bresnan and Broad reversing. Difficult. But not impossible.

3. Bangladesh packs it in , in 45 minutes.

Your call ?

2a. It will not be easy to score 226 runs in 46 overs @ 5+ on 4th innings. I would expect a draw at this situation.
2b. Definite draw.
3. Unfortunately this is the most likely scenario, IMO.

simon
March 23, 2010, 03:38 PM

ya,that's the only possibility.
But some good resistance from Shafi & Razzaq are required aswel.

Imtiazk
March 23, 2010, 03:43 PM
If we can take a lead of 200 runs, the match will be ended in a draw. England will need more than 50 overs to chase it down.

I agree with you. It's not just runs but also time [ or overs ]. This is when test cricket begins to converge with a ODI.

Therefore, I feel the minimum would be , at least , say 250 lead and no more than 42 - 44 overs.

BD-Shardul
March 23, 2010, 03:50 PM
[বাংলা]আর ৬-৭ ঘণ্টা সবুর করেন ভাই-বোনেরা। আমলনামা নিজের চোখে দেখতে পাবেন।[/বাংলা]

alibangali
March 23, 2010, 03:52 PM
No point worrying about what will happen tommorrow. Our team is so unpredictable that anything is possible. Usually its negative but we have produced magical moments in the past so all hope is not lost.

Imtiazk
March 23, 2010, 03:55 PM
Usually its negative but we have produced magical moments in the past so all hope is not lost.

I must have missed those magical moments. JO and Nafis against Zim on the 5th day, perhaps being one and only one such moment.

alibangali
March 23, 2010, 03:57 PM
I must have missed those magical moments. JO and Nafis against Zim on the 5th day, perhaps being one and only one such moment.

Sorry i should have clarifed that those magical moments were in all format of the sport

Fazal
March 23, 2010, 03:57 PM
No point worrying about what will happen tommorrow.

YEs ...exactly .... win..draw ..loss it will indeed be a good TEST for us.

So "Don;t worry be happy" and enjoy the game.

Fortuner
March 23, 2010, 05:42 PM

England can chase down 200 in 50 overs unless our bolwers drop the ball in good areas. We know how much worse Razzak can get with his deliveries down the leg side. Shakib may b consistent but what about Naeem and Mahmudullah, can they be consistent like him. I doubt it.

Considering the fact that most of English players are in form and also the fact they dont throw wickets like us and rather they are more confident in the second innings unlike us makes me feel the only way out for us in this match is to bat till we can. Infact I would b happy if we bat the whole day out tom and it would give some of the batsman's a good practice.

al-Sagar
March 23, 2010, 10:04 PM

actually it started on 4th day.

they survived 57 overs for 95-99 runs in the 4th day.

then on the 5th day morning they survived another 25-6 overs for another 30-40 runs.

i think the partnership lasted 82-83 overs for around 130-140 runs

all the hardwork was done in the 4th day

Imtiazk
March 24, 2010, 12:45 AM
Tony Hill hammers the (last) nail. The over started at 11:30 BDT.

That does not forgive Naeem's utter madness. Of all people, Naeem. With the exception of Mushfiq, the one you could trust. Shafiul, I would blame less. At that time the risk / reward of scoring runs was better.

al-Sagar
March 24, 2010, 01:46 AM
the final scenario

209 in 53