PDA

View Full Version : NZ vs SL T20 Cricket in Florida

Ananna
April 24, 2010, 06:29 AM
Thought people live in or around Florid might be interested. NZ and SL will play a 3-match T20 series in Luaderhill (Near Ft. Lauderdale) next month.
http://cricket.bdnews24.com/details.php?id=159137&cid=#tp159137

sbsash
April 24, 2010, 07:09 AM
hmm....I'll ask my uncle if we can go after he comes back from BD.

Bond
April 24, 2010, 07:54 AM
Florida has nice babes, i mean waves. hehe

deshifan
April 25, 2010, 12:49 AM
This is the ICC approved stadium at Fort Lauderdale

http://www.dawn.com/wps/wcm/connect/46a529004039e481a7daf707cfc09e7f/LauderhillStadium-608.JPG?MOD=AJPERES

Abid_Khan
April 25, 2010, 05:30 AM
hmm, its a good stadium for a moderately non-cricket playing nation.

sbsash
April 25, 2010, 05:57 AM
how much are the tickets gonna be?

Abid_Khan
May 15, 2010, 07:55 AM
New Zealand's Twenty20 series against Sri Lanka in Florida - the first international series between two full ICC members to take place in the USA - has been reduced from three matches to two following the cancellation of the opening match in Lauderhill on Thursday.

According to Don Lockerbie, the chief executive of USACA, the decision was taken in the interests of promoting USA cricket in the best possible light, with a thunderstorm threatening to wash out the opening fixture and damage the image of the sport as it seeks to find its niche in a new and untapped market.

"The original match was scheduled under lights, and we wanted to move it to the afternoon, but that's tough to pull off on an American working week," Lockerbie told Cricinfo. "We feel it's better to start with a big bang on the weekend, because it's about the USA and our strategic partner, New Zealand, trying to figure out what's best to grow cricket in our country."

Lockerbie added that better weather was predicted for the back-to-back fixtures on Saturday and Sunday, which have both been turned into double-headers following the inclusion onto the bill of an additional Twenty20 match involving USA and Jamaica. However, he played down suggestions that the decision had been made as a cost-cutting measure, following reports of poor ticket sales and low levels of sponsor interest.

"This is really an important weekend for us," said Lockerbie. "We want to show the world we are open for business, and show that these teams have made a wise choice to come and play cricket in the US. But it's got to be done prudently. How many events all over the world get set up and then cancelled at the last minute due to inclement weather while the fans are in the stadium and the broadcasters have to talk through the rain? To us, at this stage of our development, that would be worse than making a smart business decision now."

A spokesman for the New Zealand team, who are already in Florida awaiting the start of the series, told Cricinfo that the news of the cancellation had not been confirmed to them, but that the team remained committed to putting on a good show. "The guys are doing their fitness work at the moment, and they are taking it pretty seriously," he said. "There are 15million cricket followers in the USA, so it's a big thing."

Source:CI (http://www.cricinfo.com/usa/content/story/459698.html)

Tigers_eye
May 20, 2010, 02:00 PM
Nice little stadium. Lets go SL.

Ajfar
May 21, 2010, 12:01 PM
so anyone going to the game?

Dilscoop
May 22, 2010, 12:09 PM
ESPN 3 will show it

nycpro96
May 22, 2010, 12:22 PM
does anyone know how to watch ESPN 3 if ISP doesn't support it?

Dilscoop
May 22, 2010, 12:35 PM
ESPN3 is a rename of ESPN360

nycpro96
May 22, 2010, 02:34 PM
NZ batting first

Nocturnal
May 22, 2010, 02:47 PM
happening now. NZ batting.
watching few overs in TV. T20 looks good in USA :)

sbsash
May 22, 2010, 02:48 PM
McCullum gone

nycpro96
May 22, 2010, 02:49 PM
i can't get into espn3 :hairpull:

sbsash
May 22, 2010, 02:53 PM
i can't get into espn3 :hairpull:

lol go to hitcric.info. They're not showing it on tv :(

Ananna
May 22, 2010, 04:23 PM
i am thinking of going tomorrow. I called to the Park office. they dont know how much the ticket is?
accroding to CI, the pitch is a bad one.

deshifan
May 22, 2010, 05:16 PM
Cricket in America, huh ?

Do you guys think anyone will find cricket news in US newspapers tomorrow ?

Abid_Khan
May 22, 2010, 05:16 PM
hmm 2 wickets in 2 balls

Dilscoop
May 22, 2010, 08:09 PM
They ruined a good chance to grow new interest. The pitch was bad, only 2 6s was played.

Things that needs to happen tomorrow: A quick McCullum 50, some massive 6s from Ross Taylor, some Dilscoop, and some great bit of fielding. Only then the Americans will be impressed.

And next time, please dont bring these labendish subcontinent teams. I am soo glad it wasnt Pakistan. Those beardy fools would make such bad impression to Americans. Dropping easy catches, praying the middle of the field. Cricket already have a bad and boring image in American heads

Next time bring a full OZ team with West Indies and South Africa. Star quality players like Brett Lee, Tait, Mitch, DS, Gayle, AB, Warner, White, Morkel like big hitters can bring Americans into cricket. Currently lot depends on McCullum and Ross tomorrow. If they gets going, they could really change American cricket forever.

al-Sagar
May 22, 2010, 09:42 PM
NZ prevail on slow and low pitch (http://www.cricinfo.com/new-zealand-v-sri-lanka-2010/content/current/story/460582.html)

New Zealand 120 for 7 (Taylor 27, Vettori 21*) beat Sri Lanka 92 (Styris 3-10) by 28 runs

Bengali Bum
May 23, 2010, 12:08 AM
I'm from Miami and was there to watch the match today. I wouldn't miss it for anything. It really is a nice place. Day-night matches would be better since its' really hot at this time of the year (85 F and above almost everyday). However, I don't think they've got those floodlights working yet (can't confirm that).

Today's game, overall, was good. great atmosphere. Lot of people from the islands. I even met a white American guy who was eager to know how this works and showed up. tickets were $22.00. Parking $10.00

Here are some pics from the game:

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4029/4631220010_af4b3b8078_b.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3408/4630620545_75f1e4dacc_b.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3405/4631221376_1fc3cc9c8a_b.jpg

You will find more pics here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/bengalibum/

Ajfar
May 23, 2010, 12:56 AM
They ruined a good chance to grow new interest. The pitch was bad, only 2 6s was played.

Things that needs to happen tomorrow: A quick McCullum 50, some massive 6s from Ross Taylor, some Dilscoop, and some great bit of fielding. Only then the Americans will be impressed.

And next time, please dont bring these labendish subcontinent teams. I am soo glad it wasnt Pakistan. Those beardy fools would make such bad impression to Americans. Dropping easy catches, praying the middle of the field. Cricket already have a bad and boring image in American heads

Next time bring a full OZ team with West Indies and South Africa. Star quality players like Brett Lee, Tait, Mitch, DS, Gayle, AB, Warner, White, Morkel like big hitters can bring Americans into cricket. Currently lot depends on McCullum and Ross tomorrow. If they gets going, they could really change American cricket forever.

you are talking as if Americans already know all the big names from OZ and RSA. I didn't watch the match but I doubt too many real Americans would bother to show up or follow this match. IMO the perfect way to kick off this new adventure would have been India vs. Pakistan. all the sub continental crowd would have showed up to watch. Americans are not going to just fall it love with it one day. It's gonna be a long process. ICC first has to utilize the big sub continental population USA already has, worry about the Americans later.

Dilscoop
May 23, 2010, 01:25 AM
No. But OZs have great players that can win crowds over. They have great players. None of that Indo-Pak stuff. That wont bring any Americans into this. Only push them away. "its a foreigners game", which is already the image for cricket in American minds. But cricket shouldnt be shown as foreign sports, because America's history got cricket all over it.

So things need to be Americanized, only then they will like it. Starting with by stop playing those Bollywood songs. Bringing Pak-Ind teams will just push them away, and it will only bring Sub crowds. And they already love cricket. They dont need to worry about that.

I know, they will love the Aus team. Good fielders, big hitters, and full of speed stars. They will relate more with Aus then Indi-Pak. Australia can be the Beckham of cricket.

Baundule
May 23, 2010, 04:43 AM
The pitch is turning it in to a fruitless competition. No one wants to see the batsmen struggling in a limited over match. The choice of teams is worng. Ind-Pak would be better.

al-Sagar
May 23, 2010, 05:56 AM
No. But OZs have great players that can win crowds over. They have great players. None of that Indo-Pak stuff. That wont bring any Americans into this. Only push them away. "its a foreigners game", which is already the image for cricket in American minds. But cricket shouldnt be shown as foreign sports, because America's history got cricket all over it.

So things need to be Americanized, only then they will like it. Starting with by stop playing those Bollywood songs. Bringing Pak-Ind teams will just push them away, and it will only bring Sub crowds. And they already love cricket. They dont need to worry about that.

I know, they will love the Aus team. Good fielders, big hitters, and full of speed stars. They will relate more with Aus then Indi-Pak. Australia can be the Beckham of cricket.

i have a cousin who lives in USA. once he came to BD. i was watching cricket. he said his father watches cricket. he watches sometimes but dont understand.

he cant understand these things

1. why a pitcher needs to run so long ???
2. even though he runs so long he seldoms beat the striker and no reward for betaing the striker
3. why strikers run with bat ???
4. why only 2 or 4 long innings played, why not 9 short innings like baseball ????

NB: my cousin plays as a pitcher in his college team

Tiger444
May 23, 2010, 10:35 AM
Its gonna be extremely hard 2 get cricket popular in America..baseball is the dominant sport and cricket cant just walk in and become a popular sport..ICC screwed it up though..1st of all having Sri Lanka and New Zealand? They don't have the fan bases like India and Pakistan do..I think they shoulve had India playing Australia..that way you get a strong fan base and then the powerhouse of cricket in the Aussies..also why was that pitch so poor? They needed 2 make it a flat bed..the match was so damn boring that I almost fell asleep..you cant have such boring matches and expect Americans 2 like it..bangladesh_sy has a good point..ICC should reach out 2 the subcontinental crowds 1st before they go 2 the Americans..1st worry about getting fans 2 the game before worrying about Americans grasping the game..so India vs Pakistan wouldve been great..

Ajfar
May 23, 2010, 10:56 AM

Yes they do. None of my brown friends bother to follow cricket and most of the 2nd/3rd generation kids are already in love with other Americans sports. When you say american you are talking about pure american like, but those 2nd/3rd generation sub continental peoples are american as well. ICC has to get these people back in first. I agree with bollywood type song that stuff was bogus specially since neither of India Pakistan was playing. But its a start. Like I said real Americans won't show up to watch these games doesn't matter either Australia or India or anyone playing because they have no idea what's it all about. ICC has to get the word out and if they can get the word out through the younger brown generation thats a good start. My younger brother doesn't follow cricket but he knows about it. If he starts following again he is bound to tell his "American" friend. I'm talking about something along this line.

Australia can be the Beckham of cricket.

did you watch any match Beckham played in America? The only people that showed up to watch Beckham were the people that already knew him. He didn't make football any more or less popular in U.S. More than half the Americans probably still don't know we are in the world cup.

simon
May 23, 2010, 11:19 AM
this will be too one sided game looks like,NZ 9/4

simon
May 23, 2010, 11:26 AM
This might be the only T20 without any boundary hit.

Nadim
May 23, 2010, 11:26 AM
NZ:13-5

wth??

simon
May 23, 2010, 12:16 PM
this Florida pitch is terribe,
the place is good thgh.

_Rafi_
May 23, 2010, 12:54 PM
America likes man's game. Kabadi will be more popular game before cricket:-)
<br />Posted via BC Mobile Edition

Tiger444
May 24, 2010, 09:29 AM
ICC is spending a lot of money on cricket in America but I honestly don't see cricket getting very popular here..I see cricket becoming more like rugby which would be good in my opinion..the thing is cricket is similar to baseball so its nothing the americans have not seen..also in America the sports that have power are the more popular sports, for example football, basketball, and baseball..look how intense rugby is but still it attracts little attraction for the most part..cricket is becoming less popular in the non South Asian countries even..so ICC should do something about that before working on a big project like America..

deshifan
May 26, 2010, 10:54 AM
Couldn't agree more :-D:-D

Post of the year :notworthy:
America likes man's game. Kabadi will be more popular game before cricket:-)
<br />Posted via BC Mobile Edition

Dilscoop
May 26, 2010, 11:44 PM
It will be very popular among the homosexuals :)