PDA

View Full Version : If Zimbabwe can defeat Australia in WU and 2007 T20 WC, why can't we?

AK420
April 28, 2010, 09:58 AM
:sick:According to cricinfo, Zimbabwe defeated the Aussies by 1 run(Would have been more) in a warm up match today. And to think of it Garry expected Aussies to go to win the cup.

Now we should take this as inspiration and look ahead. If Zim can do it why cant we defeat the World ODI Champions. Remember, Zim defeated the Aussies in 2007 WC as well. Now, we are being considered a stronger team as Zim with some training. Now what we just need to concentrate on thrashing on our opponents, no need to look back, just look forward and remember that we too defeated them in 2005.

So its not impossible to defeat both Australia and Pakistan. Infact, we just might go on to winning the World Cup :smug:

Nafis 1718
April 28, 2010, 10:02 AM
if we can play our game we obviously can beat the hell out of ozies...
<br />Posted via BC Mobile Edition

al-Sagar
April 28, 2010, 10:05 AM
not possible because the bad day aussies have once a year has gone. so we may defeat aussies again next year if we play them on their bad day.

well the bad day of pakistan may come but it normally comes when they are in the peak of their form. normally when comes into a tournament with lots of problems they play well.

well still i believe its possible to beat both of them but i cant see that happening this WC

AK420
April 28, 2010, 10:12 AM
^^^^ The Aussies are tired, - except Clarke, Paine, Smith, Johnson, Hauritz. Mainly for the IPL. Now with Leee injured and RP not interested to play t20, we can do it.

Still our chances are 40 percent.

Tigers_eye
April 28, 2010, 10:13 AM
Cause we can't beat Zim.

AsifTheManRahman
April 28, 2010, 10:16 AM
Cause we can't beat Zim.
Indeed indeed. They're the better team in T20s.

hoodlum
April 28, 2010, 10:19 AM
Come down to earth my friend. First of all, it was just a practice match. In the real matches they will be more serious and the pace attack will be more vigorous (add Tait,Bollinger). Secondly, we still dont have the ability to beat teams like Australia in the T20s (lack of big hitters).

Raynman
April 28, 2010, 10:23 AM
We beat them in an ODI and took them to the wire on a Test so there's no reason to believe we can not beat the Aussies in T20 where the threshold for error is very low and harder to recover.

Its just that many things need to go our way and the Aussie's have to have a sub par day as well.

I hope Siddons and Shakib have taken the time to study this format and understand how to approach it.

rinathq
April 28, 2010, 10:29 AM
Aussies have a poor bowling line. If we can take the advantage and be decent in bowling we can beat them. Anything above 170 will be good enough i think

beshideshi
April 28, 2010, 10:35 AM
People put too much emphasis on the big hitter issue, but seriously the difference between a ball flying 30 rows back and a ball just reaching the boundary is just TWO runs. We might not have big hitters, but we have players who are capable of hitting boundaries, and even if we miss 5 sixes and get 5 fours instead, the difference is just 10 runs. So, lets focus on what we have at the moment and not on what we don't have.
If we have our best day, then we don't need Aussie's worst day to win the game.
*** Our best day, Ash firing, Tamim firing, Shakib's bowling figure 4-0-13-3, Mash's bowling figure 4-1-21-2 etc etc***

Raynman
April 28, 2010, 10:39 AM
People put too much emphasis on the big hitter issue, but seriously the difference between a ball flying 30 rows back and a ball just reaching the boundary is just TWO runs. We might not have big hitters, but we have players who are capable of hitting boundaries, and even if we miss 5 sixes and get 5 fours instead, the difference is just 10 runs. So, lets focus on what we have at the moment and not on what we don't have.
*** Our best day, Ash firing, Tamim firing, Shakib's bowling figure 4-0-13-3, Mash's bowling figure 4-1-21-2 etc etc***

All thats needed is for getting 180 or 9RR is 1 boundary and 5 singles.

As long as the scoreboard is ticking without wickets falling and the pressure mounts, the additional boundaries and extras will come automatically.

What the team needs to remember is blocking 8/9 balls down to the ground after a few wickets fall does not accomplish anything.

AK420
April 28, 2010, 10:49 AM

That's the spirit. Ofcourse it is not neccessry that we play our best game but just play better

CTazim
April 28, 2010, 10:49 AM
:sick:According to cricinfo, Zimbabwe defeated the Aussies by 1 run(Would have been more) in a warm up match today. And to think of it Garry expected Aussies to go to win the cup.

Now we should take this as inspiration and look ahead. If Zim can do it why cant we defeat the World ODI Champions. Remember, Zim defeated the Aussies in 2007 WC as well. Now, we are being considered a stronger team as Zim with some training. Now what we just need to concentrate on thrashing on our opponents, no need to look back, just look forward and remember that we too defeated them in 2005.

So its not impossible to defeat both Australia and Pakistan. Infact, we just might go on to winning the World Cup :smug:

Because we are not Smart LOTTAs that's why! We are led by a dumb LOTTA!

Dilscoop
April 28, 2010, 10:51 AM
Good question. And people will ask that a lot, if we dont beat the Ozs

Dilscoop
April 28, 2010, 10:56 AM
Also the Zims dont take guest with them, instead of media manager

AK420
April 28, 2010, 10:57 AM
^^^ It is all about the players actually. I agree with you but the fact is that if the cricket board is clean very caring, hard working and not corrupted, it still would not make any differences if the national team is not doing well. If your national team is strong, you will see that even the domestic tournament becomes stronger, key players are asked to play in foreign tournaments, more tours for the team and the cricket board also starts to earn money.

Not much to blame Loitta for the failure of the team, but all our players. We should only blame loitta for the uncertainity in its cricket board.

Anyway, Loitta himself is corrupt

AK420
April 28, 2010, 10:59 AM
Good question. And people ask that a lot, if we dont beat the Ozs

5 years since we have defeated the Aussies. I think that incident in Cardiff is like it was a century ago.

shafayeen
April 28, 2010, 11:00 AM
what u guys are forgetting is the "panic factor". It is all and well to be "possible" for bangladesh to beat Aussies. But, even if we score 185, with ash, tamim, shakib firing, do u really think we can defend tat total? the bd bowling line is capable, but mentally the bowlers would break, the prospect of the responsibiliy on their shoulder will make them nervous. I really pray this deosnt happen, but mone hocche aitai hobe:(

Dilscoop
April 28, 2010, 11:03 AM
5 years since we have defeated the Aussies. I think that incident in Cardiff is like it was a century ago.

typo in my post,

*fixed*

beshideshi
April 28, 2010, 11:16 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7iVDfVi-luk Shakib on his way to 54 off 29 balls V Aus
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iM98kbWgL9w Tamim scoring 18 off the first over V Aus.
Just a refresher of what our batsmen are capable of.

Bond
April 28, 2010, 11:19 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7iVDfVi-luk Shakib on his way to 54 off 29 balls V Aus
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iM98kbWgL9w Tamim scoring 18 off the first over V Aus.
Just a refresher of what our batsmen are capable of.

Can we get a refresher about the milestones our bowlers acheived in that match? No matter what we score, Aussies will chase it with ease. Face it our bowlers suck.

zman
April 28, 2010, 11:19 AM
Our hungry tigers will have kangaroos for breakfast, lunch and dinner >:)

mishu
April 28, 2010, 11:23 AM
lol, this is funny, you guys are dreaming too much, everyone should know Aus let Zim get a big total so they can practice their batting. We kinda choked against Barbados how would you want to win against Australia, we only took 3 wickets...

beshideshi
April 28, 2010, 11:40 AM
Can we get a refresher about the milestones our bowlers acheived in that match? No matter what we score, Aussies will chase it with ease. Face it our bowlers suck.

Areh Bond bhai, Ash did not bowl that day, BD wanted to have some batting practice and just let Aus score. :P
but on a serious note, if we are to win against Pak or Aus our best bet is to score 180-190. Which means the game must be won while batting, our bowlers are simply not good enough to restrict the opponent in T20s

hoodlum
April 28, 2010, 11:51 AM
OK atleast wait for the practice match against England tonight. অনেক কিছু পরিস্কার হয়ে যাবে আজকের ম্যাচ এর পর।

simon
April 28, 2010, 11:52 AM
I think Zim in limited overs bat better than us against the pace attck.

Bond
April 28, 2010, 11:56 AM
Areh Bond bhai, Ash did not bowl that day, BD wanted to have some batting practice and just let Aus score. :P
but on a serious note, if we are to win against Pak or Aus our best bet is to score 180-190. Which means the game must be won while batting, our bowlers are simply not good enough to restrict the opponent in T20s

haha :D I like the way you think

zainab
April 28, 2010, 12:11 PM
This was a practise match, in the real match, it is a different ball game. BTW, Lee is out and Bollinger will take his place, he is a good 20/20 bowler.played well in the IPL, gave Chennai their victory.

al-Sagar
April 28, 2010, 12:20 PM
This was a practise match, in the real match, it is a different ball game. BTW, Lee is out and Bollinger will take his place, he is a good 20/20 bowler.played well in the IPL, gave Chennai their victory.

no, not bollinger. ryan harris is taking lee's place

Bond
April 28, 2010, 12:21 PM

Actually, Ryan Harris is replacing Lee.

Equinox
April 28, 2010, 12:35 PM
It never ever works that way.

Imteaz
April 29, 2010, 01:19 AM
^^ Abslutely.

Result in practice match never shows reality. We performed very well in previous T20 WC practice matches. What was the result? Pathetic. Forget so early!!!!!! :)

AK420
April 29, 2010, 04:54 AM
I think we are so weak because the lack of commitment of our players. If your players are commited, you can win even if you are not strong. This commitment does not come from experience or talent, it comes from man's strongest weapon, that is the brain, powerful enough to think about Lotus dancing in the middle of a conference

unda_bhai
April 29, 2010, 05:02 AM
sadly transitivity dosnt always apply in sports...perhaps never for that matter.

yaseer
April 29, 2010, 05:10 AM
I think we are so weak because the lack of commitment of our players. If your players are commited, you can win even if you are not strong. This commitment does not come from experience or talent, it comes from man's strongest weapon, that is the brain, powerful enough to think about Lotus dancing in the middle of a conference

I do not think commitment is the issue here. For the sake of argument, lets say players are not committed to the team, but still if they perform well in WC, they can get lucrative IPL contract. In either way, players are committed and going to try their best.

Issue here is the capability. Do our batsmen are really capable enough to consistently find boundaries against the 140+ Aussie bowlers without slogging or loosing wicket? Answer in a big NO. Players like Riyad, Nayeem, Mushfiq, Imrul are not good enough to score against quality fast bowlers in a way that 20/20 demands.

AK420
April 29, 2010, 05:28 AM
I do not think commitment is the issue here. For the sake of argument, lets say players are not committed to the team, but still if they perform well in WC, they can get lucrative IPL contract. In either way, players are committed and going to try their best.

Issue here is the capability. Do our batsmen are really capable enough to consistently find boundaries against the 140+ Aussie bowlers without slogging or loosing wicket? Answer in a big NO. Players like Riyad, Nayeem, Mushfiq, Imrul are not good enough to score against quality fast bowlers in a way that 20/20 demands.

u r also right, but the main problem is the incapability od our selectors, why are players like Naeem and Mushy is there when we have Dickens and Kapali:mad:

zainab
April 29, 2010, 06:45 AM
BD players have not mastered the art of playing 20/20 cricket, they have to find the boundaries and hit a few sixes, I dont think that their upper bodies are strong enough for that slog, they need to work out more in the gym and build upper body and arm strength.
I read somewhere that on tours now, the ICC will allow 2 twenty/twenty matches between countries.

ahms
April 29, 2010, 08:21 AM

Actually, BD should target AUS, even though odds are agaimst us. The more odds the better chance for upset. After all, it is an upset; we do not match in strength either of the teams in this group. Lets hope there is an upset.

AK420
April 29, 2010, 09:37 AM
^^^ They should target both Australia and Pakistan. Na jitle jitbo na, tobe chesta korte hobe. Naeem policy follow korle hobe na

auntu
April 29, 2010, 10:17 AM
Indeed indeed. They're the better team in T20s.
No doubt.

AK420
April 29, 2010, 10:26 AM
All is not well, if we lose, again

bujhee kom
April 29, 2010, 11:15 AM
Amra jodi jed dhori, tahole amra nishchoi parbo! Ora parle amra keno parbo naa?

Awla
April 29, 2010, 12:38 PM
Lets Face the Truth: Our players(specially Ash,Aftab etc.) thinks that whatever they perform it will not affect on their position in the side. Even if they are dropped out for few matches,they'll again be included in the squad.
Its obvious because we dont have enough qualified backup players. Even if we replace a player, that doesnt change in overall standard of playing XI.More or less they are all of same lavel.
Yes,we have good promising talents like Tamim,Sakib,Mash,Riad,Mushi...as like as Ashraful had shown such talents..but look at him now...after playing 53 tests & 159 ODIs(abot 10 years) where he stands now? avg 22/23!! ...thats because of inability to raise the bar where talent meets with consistency & concentration.....and also other players Aftab,Nafees,Alok etc....they all got stuck within a certain level....mayb its because of our Domestic structure/training facilities/physical structure/whatever the reason.....with this standard we may play few good matches in a year..but with no consistency..
I am not saying that we'll always remain same as we are in present..may be in future things will start to improve....but for now I dont think we can hope anything more

22Yards
April 29, 2010, 12:47 PM
Aussies will be more alert now that they got beaten by Zim.
Even though if our batsman manage to get odd 160 150, we still dont stand a chance as someone said earlier, our bowling attack would get THRASHED literally by any international team.

Raynman
April 29, 2010, 03:54 PM
thankfully ZIM is not in our group. They are about to beat PAK as well.

22Yards
April 29, 2010, 03:55 PM
Go Zim.

simon
April 29, 2010, 04:15 PM
Welldone Zim;u guys r way bttr than us in T20s.

Purbasha T
April 29, 2010, 04:20 PM
Wowww!! WTG Zim!!....Reasons to be cheerful, Utseya took 4 wickets and we have two off-spinners Naeem and Riyad. Fingers crossed.

Purbasha T
April 29, 2010, 04:21 PM
Let's all visit PakPassion now. :-p

al-Sagar
April 29, 2010, 04:26 PM
Wowww!! WTG Zim!!....Reasons to be cheerful, Utseya took 4 wickets and we have two off-spinners Naeem and Riyad. Fingers crossed.

both naeem and riadh together is not half as good as utseya, honestly speaking.

Zeeshan
April 29, 2010, 04:37 PM
Why not? Because zimbos amader moton erokom nachanachi korena ekbar duibar jitlei. Sheesh if Bd achieved the same, national holiday, ad and natok deals, michil in street and the whole nine yards! Don't get me wrong...i am all for passion and passionate following, but ek maghe sheet hoy na. Zimbos are wise enough to know that and are more dedicated and disciplined and low key in their triumphs. This team will go far if not surpass us one day by miles. Respect!

Dilscoop
April 29, 2010, 04:39 PM
Change the title please! If Zimbabwe can defeat Australia AND Pakistan in WU, why can't we?

Bond
April 29, 2010, 04:46 PM
man now they have defeated pakistan too, a slap in the face to our "never grow up" players, "still learning, they are improving" omg sick of hearing those words, it's about time we win some big matches, enough is enough, how many losses can we take? sad stuff

Purbasha T
April 29, 2010, 04:48 PM
both naeem and riadh together is not half as good as utseya, honestly speaking.

I am expecting both combinedly to do what Utseya did, which is 2 wickets each (so 4 wickets in total).

And I agree, Utseya is good.

AsifTheManRahman
April 29, 2010, 05:29 PM
man now they have defeated pakistan too, a slap in the face to our "never grow up" players, "still learning, they are improving" omg sick of hearing those words, it's about time we win some big matches, enough is enough, how many losses can we take? sad stuff
They did it again! Oh yes oh yes! Zimbabwe will win the world cup! Boom Shakalaka baby!

Roni_uk
April 29, 2010, 05:33 PM
Both Pakistan & Australia will be very very careful now so that they do not get beaten by another minnow (i.e. us). Thanks to Zimbabuwe!!

cricket_pagol
April 29, 2010, 06:09 PM
Zimbabwe also beat Pakistan... they are really on a roll.

RazabQ
April 29, 2010, 06:32 PM
Chumbawumba is really lighting up the warm-up matches!

AsifTheManRahman
April 29, 2010, 06:34 PM
When the time comes, I really want to retire as a chigum bura.

simon
April 29, 2010, 06:41 PM
I am expecting both combinedly to do what Utseya did, which is 2 wickets each (so 4 wickets in total).

And I agree, Utseya is good.

I wld rather say Pak bttng sucks.
we played Utseya with ease,Price used to be the only concerne.

Ajfar
April 29, 2010, 08:31 PM
damn it Zim ruined whatever chances we had left, now Aus and Pak will be even more careful.

kalpurush
April 29, 2010, 08:41 PM
damn it Zim ruined whatever chances we had left, now Aus and Pak will be even more careful.
...and fall further...

Naimul_Hd
April 29, 2010, 09:40 PM
holly __________ ! zim beat both Paki and Aussie ! now its an added pressure on our boys ! it couldnt be any worse before starting the game ! :timeout:

yaseer
April 29, 2010, 10:14 PM
It can be taken in two different way.

Zim has shown us that these two teams are beatable in this format, though it is a practice match. So, our players can take it positively and think positive. What Chigumbura did in those two matches, players like Tamim, Sakib and Ashraful can do for us. One good innings can do wonders in this format.

On the other hand, players now can feel the pressure of winning as ZIM has raised the bar. It can effect our players negatively as well.

It is all about the mental aspect, how players approach. I hope players understand their game-plan for T20, think positive and give their best. It is unlikely but possible to beat them. I still beleive we are better than this ZIM side in T20. If they can do it, we also can.

Looking forward to Tamim, Sakib, Mashrafee and Ashraful. If we win, they have to play the key role and others need to play the supporting role. Hope those four have the time of their life in one of the matches.

godzilla
April 29, 2010, 10:17 PM
Zim is on fire ... not to mention they have 2 of the weakest T20 teams in their group ... I woudn't even be surprised if they end up in top 4 now :S

Ssquaderi
April 29, 2010, 10:26 PM
Instead of Bang playing England and Barbados they should have played Zimababwe and Windward Islands, that way they would have been able to see who is the better side Australia and Pakistan both lost to zim and both won against winward, we probably wouldve won against windward and zim, zim are threatened by us.

Kabir
April 29, 2010, 10:28 PM
O duita chocolate pailo, ami keno matro ekta pailam?

Kinda funny question.

Awla
April 29, 2010, 10:34 PM
the way zimbabwe is progressing, next time when they get chance to play against BD, i think they will easily beat us..and we may loose test status to them.

M.H.Rubel
April 30, 2010, 01:50 AM
the way zimbabwe is progressing, next time when they get chance to play against BD, i think they will easily beat us..and we may loose test status to them.

Its not a distant memory,we beat ZIM in their home soil with authority(4-1).So dont be afraid mate.
<br />Posted via BC Mobile Edition

unda_bhai
April 30, 2010, 02:18 AM
add pakistan to the thread title.

beshideshi
April 30, 2010, 02:37 AM
Good on Zim for beating Pak and Aus. But guys, don't generate different ideas from these games, we beat them 4-1 at home and away recently[though it could have been 3-2] Also don't think Pak and Aus will be pushovers only because they were beaten by Zim. Lets stay in reality for the time being.

AK420
April 30, 2010, 06:06 AM
A team combined with Afghanistan, Ireland, Bangladesh and Zimbabwe is truely unbeatable, lets to go to Pakpassion to see their reactions dude

Antora
April 30, 2010, 06:46 AM
If only it actually worked that way :(
As many of you have mentioned, Zim are the better team, when it comes to T20....

AK420
April 30, 2010, 09:53 AM
What Zimbabwe players have is planning, but our players dont even have such planning. They go on to play like chagols. You all know what happens when giving a test without studying.

al-Sagar
April 30, 2010, 11:01 AM

we will have them in bangladesh in at the end of this year

Dhakablues
April 30, 2010, 03:56 PM
we will have them in bangladesh in at the end of this year

Again? Man,, is this a bi-annual thing for us ? Rather I would have our players go to Zimbabwe ( barring tail-of-delegation- no-media-coverage penguin mps) and have them play in different conditions..

Tigers_eye
May 4, 2010, 09:41 AM
Zim failed to take inspiration from their own wins in the warmup matches. They are getting hammered by NZ. Why is that?
Pak failed to take inspiration from Zim's over Australia and lost badly. Why is that?

Cricket is a funny game. Enjoy it while you have a chance. Don't try to find out if one thing works for someone on a given day may work for others in another day.