PDA

View Full Version : 2010 Asia Cup: Speed Thread

al Furqaan
June 14, 2010, 09:40 PM
all 4 asian test nations are there, all 4 nations are playing their current first string pace attacks, same venue, same broadcaster = same radars. this should be a good way to ascertain the speeds of various bowlers.

for simplicity's sake i will just use what cricinfo reports, except for the BD bowlers who i'll be watching on espn3. i'll use that correct cricinfo's speeds if need be.

haven't yet figured out how to deal with slower balls and other outliers...probably will end up discarding the slowest 15% of deliveries or something.

should be an interesting excercize, if only to satisfy my fetish for elementary statistics.

beshideshi
June 14, 2010, 09:56 PM
Speed-wise, I believe Bangladesh should be second fastest[if Shafi, Rubel both play] behind Pakistan. But quality wise.....will have to wait and see. An interesting thread AF bro.
PS: I am more keen about the Asia cup than the world cup at this moment :P

Dilscoop
June 14, 2010, 10:07 PM
No 1 will bowl over 145. So nothing exciting.

Ameer, Malinga, Shafiul and Rubel. All around 140. Thats it. No other "fast" bowlers.

al-Sagar
June 14, 2010, 10:24 PM
shoaib akhter is back....... he is expected to bowl 145+ ......

aamer too can be close to that

dinda sometimes can be slippery too

al Furqaan
June 14, 2010, 10:31 PM

Ameer, Malinga, Shafiul and Rubel. All around 140. Thats it. No other "fast" bowlers.

shoaib is back...i'm sure he can still crack 140 no matter how fat he might be.

i too doubt if anyone will crack 90 mph - this is in Asian conditions after all - but then again, this is to find out just who can boast to be the fastest country in Asia (would have been good to get a look at the Afghans, but stupid ACC left out the best associate country maybe ever, although HK, UAE,Oman, and other no-hopers got chances) as well as who are the quickest bowlers in asia. the best thing is as of now, all these bowlers are slotted to start in the world cup for their respective sides. only notables missing are Gul. at this time, Ishant and Sreesanth won't be coming anywhere near an Indian team huddle, so they're out.

Tigers_eye
June 14, 2010, 11:06 PM
I will keep track who gets the highest wicket and lowest econ. Go Rasel.

cricket_king
June 14, 2010, 11:29 PM
Aamer is very quick. He'll be the only to reach 150 km in my opinion. I doubt Shoaib still has it. Rubel should be next fastest.

al Furqaan
June 15, 2010, 12:33 AM
Aamer is very quick. He'll be the only to reach 150 km in my opinion. I doubt Shoaib still has it. Rubel should be next fastest.

everyone (read: most ppl) looks a lot faster when they bowl in AUS or ENG. flintoff hit 95 mph not long ago. aamer has never hit 150 k outside of australia.

again, a reason why such a thread is so timely. all pacers playing at the same venue under very similar or identical conditions with the same broadcaster calling the pace. all factors are identical and only the individual bowler is different.

Dilscoop
June 15, 2010, 12:41 AM
Pakistan is the best fast bowling producers in Asia. 2nd best in the world.

Murad
June 15, 2010, 12:46 AM
^^ They used to be. Not anymore

1. Australia
2. South Africa
3. England

Gowza
June 15, 2010, 12:52 AM
yeah even ishant sharma hit 150kph in australia, pakistan are the best at producing quicks in asia, sri lanka's pacers aren't bad but they don't produce many quick bowlers, atm Bangladesh have a couple of pacers with decent speed in rubel and shafiul

godzilla
June 15, 2010, 01:36 AM

1. Australia
2. South Africa
3. England

because in the process of making them, some were lost to drugs ;)

lamisa
June 15, 2010, 01:53 AM

1. Australia
2. South Africa
3. England

wait till asif and shoaib akhtar get back in form(if that ever happens)

lamisa
June 15, 2010, 01:59 AM

what is the point of being so fast if u cannot bowl smartly and in the right areas?:-|

lamisa
June 15, 2010, 02:24 AM
all 4 asian test nations are there, all 4 nations are playing their current first string pace attacks, same venue, same broadcaster = same radars. this should be a good way to ascertain the speeds of various bowlers.

for simplicity's sake i will just use what cricinfo reports, except for the BD bowlers who i'll be watching on espn3. i'll use that correct cricinfo's speeds if need be.

haven't yet figured out how to deal with slower balls and other outliers...probably will end up discarding the slowest 15% of deliveries or something.

should be an interesting excercize, if only to satisfy my fetish for elementary statistics.

you could just use a boxplot for your analysis

Dilscoop
June 15, 2010, 02:29 AM

1. Australia
2. South Africa
3. England
England?? Ya right.

I cant really pick a 3rd best country with the current bowling attacks of the rest of the country. WI looks good, but they never perform. SL only got Malinga. NZ just lost Bond. Ind, lets not mention them. So Pak comes close to being the best 3

cricket_king
June 15, 2010, 02:34 AM
wait till asif and shoaib akhtar get back in form(if that ever happens)
HAHAHA. Asif bowls 130 km. MAX. And last I saw Shoaib, he struggled to reach 140 while chucking.
what is the point of being so fast if u cannot bowl smartly and in the right areas?:-|
Accuracy isn't the point of this thread.

England?? Ya right.

I cant really pick a 3rd best country with the current bowling attacks of the rest of the country. WI looks good, but they never perform. SL only got Malinga. NZ just lost Bond. Ind, lets not mention them. So Pak comes close to being the best 3
England have produced the likes of Flintoff, Harmison, Anderson, and Onions. Sidebottom (when he was at his best) and Simon Jones are also notable pacers from England. They definitely are ahead in terms of producing pacers in comparison to the countries you've mentioned.

Gowza
June 15, 2010, 02:37 AM
it depends who WI pick for that match, obviously kemar roach is quick and they have guys like tino best but they don't get picked. a fit WI gives them roach, edwards, taylor and that's pretty quick, what happened to powell? injured? retired? heard nelon pascal is pretty quick but never seen him bowl. how quick is this Holder chap that i've been hearing about?

Dilscoop
June 15, 2010, 02:40 AM
I am talking about current attack. My post clearly shows that.

Gowza
sami is a 140kph+ bowler, i've not much of an idea about england atm, don't know how quick guys like finn and bresnan are, but this is about speed, not how good of a pacer they are. so it's true england have produced quite a few quality pacers but how many speedsters?

cricket_king
everyone (read: most ppl) looks a lot faster when they bowl in AUS or ENG. flintoff hit 95 mph not long ago. aamer has never hit 150 k outside of australia.

again, a reason why such a thread is so timely. all pacers playing at the same venue under very similar or identical conditions with the same broadcaster calling the pace. all factors are identical and only the individual bowler is different.

I agree with your point, however I feel it's not that they "look a lot faster" when bowling in those regions. The pitches there just offer greater bounce and pace. It doesn't really mean that they can't reach that kind of pace. It's more to do with the pitches in the subcontinent being sluggish flat decks, offering very little pace.

cricket_king
June 15, 2010, 02:42 AM
I am talking about current attack. My post clearly shows that.

Well in terms of current success, the English pacers have the Pakistanis covered.

Gowza
June 15, 2010, 02:45 AM
I agree with your point, however I feel it's not that they "look a lot faster" when bowling in those regions. The pitches there just offer greater bounce and pace. It doesn't really mean that they can't reach that kind of pace. It's more to do with the pitches in the subcontinent being sluggish flat decks, offering very little pace.

they're meant to record the bowling speeds out of the hand so really the pitch condotions shouldn't be affecting things, maybe the weather though i.e. in england and NZ they'll be colder and less likely to bowl faster than the warmer climates of australia, in saying that the bowlers get more tired more quickly n the warmer climates so wouldn't be able to bowl as fast as often either.

Gowza
June 15, 2010, 02:46 AM
Well in terms of current success, the English pacers have the Pakistanis covered.

but this is about how quick they bowl not how effective they are....

Dilscoop
June 15, 2010, 02:46 AM
Ameer, Gul, Asif, Razzak, Sami >> Girly girl Broad, Finn, Sidepassa...Bresnen or w/e his name is..

Anderson is the only guy, but his stats arent that impressive

Dilscoop
June 15, 2010, 02:47 AM
Even then..

cricket_king
June 15, 2010, 02:55 AM
If you look at the context of that particular discussion, you'll notice that it wasn't purely about pace. But yeah, we probably should stick to the intended topic.

Ameer, Gul, Asif, Razzak, Sami >> Girly girl Broad, Finn, Sidepassa...Bresnen or w/e his name is..

Anderson is the only guy, but his stats arent that impressive

LOL. Did you just put Razzaq, Gul and Sami ahead of "girly" Broad? You my friend, need to look passed appearances, and the into the actual performances of the players.

Gowza
June 15, 2010, 03:06 AM
LOL. Did you just put Razzaq, Gul and Sami ahead of "girly" Broad? You my friend, need to look passed appearances, and the into the actual performances of the players.

this bit is so true lol. yeah you really can't put razzaq, gul and sami ahead of broad, certainly not from the performances in the last couple of years. maybe gul at one time in the shorter formats was better, maybe razzaq and sami at the beginning of their careers were better but broad has been the better bowler in recent times.

al-Sagar
June 15, 2010, 04:09 AM
shoaib just bowled his first over around 140-141

now asif bowing below 130s

al-Sagar
June 15, 2010, 04:14 AM

shoaib just bowled 145 kmph in his 9th ball and follows up with 148

Murad
June 15, 2010, 04:15 AM
148k or 92mph Akthar's highest so far.

al-Sagar
June 15, 2010, 04:17 AM
MD ASIF is almost similar pace of Shahadat below 130s

al-Sagar
June 15, 2010, 04:28 AM
md amir starts bowling in around 135

Imteaz
June 15, 2010, 06:07 AM
According to speed we are number 4. Nothing to say about Pakistan. Malinga and Zaheer Khan & Nehra are quicker than ours. :)

azizi47
June 15, 2010, 06:18 AM
Pakistan vs Sri Lanka Live Highlights Asia Cup 2010 Live
http://thecurrentaffairs.com/pakistan-vs-sri-lanka-live-highlights-asia-cup-2010-live.html

cricket_king
June 15, 2010, 07:33 AM
According to speed we are number 4. Nothing to say about Pakistan. Malinga and Zaheer Khan & Nehra are quicker than ours. :)

Uh...no they aren't. We're second according to speed. EPIC LOL @ Zaheer Khan and Ashish Nehra.

Dilscoop
June 15, 2010, 12:55 PM
I didn't expect Shoaib to bowl this fast again. He could have been still bowl 155-160 if he wasnt so messed up. And LMAO @ Indian pacers. A broken Akhtar bowls faster then them.

Raynman
June 15, 2010, 02:09 PM
I will keep track who gets the highest wicket and lowest econ. Go Rasel.

Please keep in mind that if either of those lead to a team win it will be violating the team policy of individual accomplishments without winning.

al Furqaan
June 15, 2010, 02:52 PM

we'll be 4th cuz rasel will bring our averages down.

but nehra (not to mention praveen) quicker than rubel and shafi...thats only true if suleiman benn is quicker than brett lee.

nycpro96
June 15, 2010, 03:04 PM

but nehra (not to mention praveen) quicker than rubel and shafi...thats only true if suleiman benn is quicker than brett lee.

no doubt about it :D

Dilscoop
June 15, 2010, 03:32 PM
Rasel shouldn't play/ I hate Rasel. He is no bowler.

Murad
June 15, 2010, 03:33 PM
^^^ That means you have no brain at all!

Ajfar
June 15, 2010, 06:57 PM
dilscoop you are really annoying with your language. please explain to me how well do you know rasel? how do you know he is gay? you dont like him fine, then stick to that. I like dropping an WTF everyonce in a while but not like you. This is not an aim conversation with your best friend.
<br />Posted via BC Mobile Edition (iPhone)

Dilscoop
June 15, 2010, 07:36 PM
^^^ That means you have no brain at all!

I know you are still living the Rasel dream from WC07. That Rasel is gone. He is over. Current Rasel sucks.

Tiger444
June 15, 2010, 07:43 PM
dilscoop, thats fine if you dont like rasel but its really unnecessary for calling him gay..and its not just this post but others where you rant on and on..its fine 2 express your opinion but there are ways 2 express it different ways where people think your talking logical..not trying 2 pick on you, just giving you tips..anyways rasel is 1 of the best pacers we have actually..he averages a 31 in ODIs..take out the winnows and he averages a 37 with the ball which is better then all our pacers..hes been hampered with injuries which is the reason why we dont see him much anymore but the guy is a good player..him along with mash could be a very tough match for batsmen 2 face..really hope selectors put him in and persist with him..

Russell2k7
June 15, 2010, 08:26 PM
Rasel g*Y should not play. I hate Rasel. He is no bowler.
ki bolen bhai, ami abar ki korlam?

cricket_king
June 15, 2010, 09:40 PM
dilscoop, thats fine if you dont like rasel but its really unnecessary for calling him gay..and its not just this post but others where you rant on and on..its fine 2 express your opinion but there are ways 2 express it different ways where people think your talking logical..not trying 2 pick on you, just giving you tips..

I gotta tell you, you sure can talk to idiots in a calm manner.

Tiger444
June 15, 2010, 09:45 PM
I gotta tell you, you sure can talk to idiots in a calm manner.

hahaha..hey man I try my best..I gotta tell you, your not afraid 2 be harsh on people lol

cricket_king
June 15, 2010, 09:52 PM
hahaha..hey man I try my best..I gotta tell you, your not afraid 2 be harsh on people lol

Haha I usually leave it be on the first few occasions, or if it was a one-time thing. But if I'm barraged with ridiculously baseless comments from pea-brained morons, I find it hard to take. =] You must be able to withstand a whole lot of crap.

Tiger444
June 15, 2010, 10:36 PM
Haha I usually leave it be on the first few occasions, or if it was a one-time thing. But if I'm barraged with ridiculously baseless comments from pea-brained morons, I find it hard to take. =] You must be able to withstand a whole lot of crap.

haha..trust me it gets 2 me when people say crap..it gets 2 me when people say nonsense but I've met a lot of people in my life who don't know what their talking about and I try not 2 be 2 harsh on them..of course I blow up sometimes when I'm in a bad mood and start 2 talk like an idiot (as you know) :)..but I try 2 be cool with people and in the end it works out 4 me :)

cricket_king
June 15, 2010, 11:55 PM
haha..trust me it gets 2 me when people say crap..it gets 2 me when people say nonsense but I've met a lot of people in my life who don't know what their talking about and I try not 2 be 2 harsh on them..of course I blow up sometimes when I'm in a bad mood and start 2 talk like an idiot (as you know) :)..but I try 2 be cool with people and in the end it works out 4 me :)

Haha well I can respect that. :up:

BANFAN
June 16, 2010, 12:05 AM
Good discussions

bujhee kom
June 16, 2010, 12:16 AM
Bhah bhah bhah! Tiger444 and Cricket-King, 2 gracious, loving BC members, young minds, rich minds, passionate about BD cricket, love and mohabbat is flowing through the garden of Sil Sila!

Dilscoop
June 16, 2010, 12:26 AM
Woah. You guys are wayyy too sensitive. There are worst things words out there. I am pretty sure every one heard em all. Thanks a lot for getting me a infraction. I am pretty sure mods read worst stuff and wouldn't have cared.

I didn't I would upset so many people with that. I am sorry, that's the least thing i can do.

Dilscoop
June 16, 2010, 12:39 AM
ki bolen bhai, ami abar ki korlam?

Lol, you are Russell. That's Rasel. That name is more gerimma

Purna
June 16, 2010, 12:41 AM
Bujhee Kom Bhaiya, I have a query.
I you know can you please tell me that how you watch movies or live matches....without buffering....directly....plzzzzzzz.

Purna
June 16, 2010, 12:42 AM
Okay can anyone else also answer my query, One World Bhaiya, Dilscoop Bhaiya?

Dilscoop
June 16, 2010, 12:44 AM
little off topic but, clear your browser data, cache and history. And if you are in the US, you can watch it on espn3.com. They should be buffer free HQ /

Purna
June 16, 2010, 12:48 AM
thanks

Imteaz
June 16, 2010, 01:12 AM
Uh...no they aren't. We're second according to speed. EPIC LOL @ Zaheer Khan and Ashish Nehra.

I wish both of you are true. :)

lamisa
June 16, 2010, 05:30 AM
HAHAHA. Asif bowls 130 km. MAX. And last I saw Shoaib, he struggled to reach 140 while chucking.

Accuracy isn't the point of this thread.

England have produced the likes of Flintoff, Harmison, Anderson, and Onions. Sidebottom (when he was at his best) and Simon Jones are also notable pacers from England. They definitely are ahead in terms of producing pacers in comparison to the countries you've mentioned.

shoaib comfortably crossed 140 yesterday.even amir and malinga touched 140

lamisa
June 16, 2010, 05:33 AM
Dilscoop,what do u have against homosexuality?riyad,rasel and shakib can all be gay if they choose to,why is that an issue?

Dilscoop
June 16, 2010, 03:57 PM
Shoaib bowled at 149. Highest of the tournament.

Tigers_eye
June 20, 2010, 10:33 PM
So, What is yours assessment on Mash? His speed, bowling and wicket taking ability? Is he improving game by game?

lamisa
June 21, 2010, 12:00 PM
So, What is yours assessment on Mash? His speed, bowling and wicket taking ability? Is he improving game by game?

no,not really.today his performance was horrible but i think i can excuse him since he had been under the knife a lot of time in the recent past and he was not really in touch with international cricket for a while.though he was not very accurate,still he managed to bowl as fast as shafiul during his first spell.i think he was bowling at around 135 before his bulk took over in the latter spells and brought his pace down to the 120s