PDA

View Full Version : Pathetic cricinfo comment

shakibrulz
June 21, 2010, 11:18 PM
Shoaib Akhtar to Junaid Siddique, OUT, just as well that he has got out! He didn't deserve an international century! Looks to drive down the ground, the ball holds up a touch, and he lobs it back to Shoaib. No celebration from Pakistan, and Junaid is stunned. Shoaib shakes Junaid's hand on the way back

They were whining so much against Bangla, but this was outrageous. :mad:

unda_bhai
June 21, 2010, 11:21 PM
one day all this bad demeanor and sportsmanship will come back to haunt them.

god i hope it does. life dosnt get easier for Bd fans.

BANFAN
June 21, 2010, 11:30 PM
Lagatar eto improvement korte thakle, public to egula bolbe e. Now realize how important even the one off victories are. A begger can't have too many choices. We need to win even if it is occassional ... full stop

Winning is a differnt habit & needs different skills. Yu can't guarantee wins by just playing good. There are plenty of examples. Pakistan is one of the team, who had been doing that since begining of their cricket. That's why they often win even with lesser team, they have learnt to win.

We are learning cricket in tortoise speed under the best coach of the world and forgot to win. People say truth as it appears. Can't blame them.

Zeeshan
June 21, 2010, 11:34 PM
I don't see nothing wrong with that comment. It was a pretty selfish innings given the circumstances. We may live in a bubble but others would always point out the truth.

shakibrulz
June 21, 2010, 11:48 PM
I don't see nothing wrong with that comment. It was a pretty selfish innings given the circumstances. We may live in a bubble but others would always point out the truth.

Don't be such a moron. Do you think they were going to chase 385+ by any chance? Atleat they batted 50 overs against a strong Pakistan attack, and he scored his 97 at a strike 85+, which is decent by any standards. I wouldn't have minded them saying that against Imrul kayes, but this was pretty rude.

Zeeshan
June 22, 2010, 12:08 AM
Don't be such a moron.

Well what else do you expect when you yourself post moronic thread.

Do you think they were going to chase 385+ by any chance?

Yes.

Hatekrew
June 22, 2010, 12:52 AM
They were whining so much against Bangla, but this was outrageous. :mad:
yeah i read that comment and it was just an insensitive comment from a commentator. Junaid had a good strike rate of around 85% which isn't even close to bad by ANNNNNYYY standard. someone should shove a baton up these cricinfo people's buttholes. they are always biased towards england and india but seriously WHERE did they get the AUDACITY for saying stuff like THIS??

Baundule
June 22, 2010, 02:08 AM
In the context of the match it was a useless innings. Crapinfo is right this time.

Trigger_Tiger
June 22, 2010, 02:23 AM
In the context of this match, the comment was as crap as any! Imrul didn't deserve that 50, as we all know, a strike rate of 85+ is not bad in ODIs and knowing that is what Junaed's standard is, to expect anything more is moronic from any of us. So well done Junaed, just better yourself next time. As for the pathetic middle and lower order and the bowling line up, FIND YOURSELVES PLEASE!

Off-Topic: Hatekrew Rakib naki?

Imteaz
June 22, 2010, 02:33 AM
I agree with that comments. Junaid didnt play for team. He only played for his indivual performance. He didn't deserve that century.

shakibrulz
June 22, 2010, 03:46 AM
Well what else do you expect when you yourself post moronic thread.

Yes.

Oh, so you thought Bangla could chase 385 under lights in Dambulla.. Nothing more to say!

Dilscoop
June 22, 2010, 03:51 AM
If it was Imrul, I'd agree with the commy. But Siddique played nicely. Paced his innings. He was aggressive w/o taking any risk. He took his chance to put him name in the ODI XI.

shakibrulz
June 22, 2010, 03:53 AM
In the context of the match it was a useless innings. Crapinfo is right this time.

That doesn't mean he didn't deserve the 100. He played really well, unlike Imrul who sucked. He just batted realistically to get to a decent score. 85 is a good strike rate by any standards, and he played against Razzaq, Shoaib Akhtar, Asif and Afridi to get this.. Under the poor lights of Dambulla, anything above 290 is virtually impossible, and you expect him to slog and throw away his wicket? Wow. And after that we can again whine about how fragile the middle order is, blah blah.

shakibrulz
June 22, 2010, 03:54 AM
If it was Imrul, I'd agree with the commy. But Siddique played nicely. Paced his innings. He was aggressive w/o taking any risk. He took his chance to put him name in the ODI XI.

Precisely. Imrul was pathetic, he didn't even deserve the half century. But this guy Zunaed is sheer class.

alibangali
June 22, 2010, 04:07 AM
Oh, so you thought Bangla could chase 385 under lights in Dambulla.. Nothing more to say!

Why bat after conceding so much runs if you are not even going to try to chase it down?

There can be no excuses for such a disgraceful approach.

I did not think they could chase down 385 but hey i am a fan who cant hold a cricket bat.

If our players and coach gives up before even attempting then how can we expect to improve and get better.

Cricinfo's comments were harsh and insensitive but the truth is we deserved to get slammed for our apporach.

shakibrulz
June 22, 2010, 04:14 AM
Why bat after conceding so much runs if you are not even going to try to chase it down?

There can be no excuses for such a disgraceful approach.

I did not think they could chase down 385 but hey i am a fan who cant hold a cricket bat.

If our players and coach gives up before even attempting then how can we expect to improve and get better.

Cricinfo's comments were harsh but the truth is we deserved to get slammed for our apporach.

Conceding 385 runs is a crime, but a team who couldn't even bat out 50 overs, how did you expect them to score 380? Tamim went early, after that it's all inexperienced lineup! They can't even properly sight the ball under those pathetic lights.. And you expect them to attempt and chase it? Well, it's like expecting Shafiul score a double century in ODI's :lol: I can guarantee you if they blindly slogged like Afridi they wouldn't have got to even 150. Even if the score was 300, I'd have said alright, they should've give it a shot. But 385? Seriously?

And I'm not wasting my time arguing anymore. Criticizing is simple but going out there and facing the music is another.

Isnaad
June 22, 2010, 04:15 AM
We are out of sorts.
<br />Posted via BC Mobile Edition (Opera Mobile)

alibangali
June 22, 2010, 04:31 AM
Conceding 385 runs is a crime, but a team who couldn't even bat out 50 overs, how did you expect them to score 380? Tamim went early, after that it's all inexperienced lineup! They can't even properly sight the ball under those pathetic lights.. And you expect them to attempt and chase it? Well, it's like expecting Shafiul score a double century in ODI's :lol: I can guarantee you if they blindly slogged like Afridi they wouldn't have got to even 150. Even if the score was 300, I'd have said alright, they should've give it a shot. But 385? Seriously?

And I'm not wasting my time arguing anymore. Criticizing is simple but going out there and facing the music is another.

Firstly i did not expect them to chase 380 however i did expect them to attempt it, that is what you would normally do when you play any game.

If you believe we are not good enough to even attempt to chase scores set by opponents regardless of how impossible it may seem then we really should not playing at this level.

I beileve they are good enough to play at this level but they need to tackle games with a positive approach.

simon
June 22, 2010, 04:52 AM
Junaid played a fine innings,not a regular odi player but made most of it getting a chance in the 2nd game.
With 85 strike rate it's acceptable.
It's poor stuff from cricinfo.:-P
Junaid knew Mushy,Sakib,even Ryad were not in grt form.
BTW,I wonder if the cricinfo dude mixed up junaid with Imrul.:-/

Miraz
June 22, 2010, 05:01 AM
Shakibrulz, you are trying to portray Bangladesh as a incompetent bunch who cannot even last 50 overs, so they should be happy that they lasted 50 overs against a so called strong Pakistan attack.

I get your message. You are here to undermine Bangladesh cricket and I am sure you are not a Bangladeshi (with dada your favourite, I know you are Indian). You are playing a wicked double game here.

We have deposed you guys out of the world cup 2007 and we will do that again in future.

Unfortuantely we have a wrong person as a coach who has taken our cricket backwards (much to your liking). With right people in charge we will defnitely bounce back. I hope common sense will prevail and Siddons will pack his bag soon.

Roni_uk
June 22, 2010, 05:27 AM
Shakibrulz, you are trying to portray Bangladesh as a incompetent bunch who cannot even last 50 overs, so they should be happy that they lasted 50 overs against a so called strong Pakistan attack.

I get your message. You are here to undermine Bangladesh cricket and I am sure you are not a Bangladeshi (with dada your favourite, I know you are Indian). You are playing a wicked double game here.

We have deposed you guys out of the world cup 2007 and we will do that again in future.

Unfortuantely we have a wrong person as a coach who has taken our cricket backwards (much to your liking). With right people in charge we will defnitely bounce back. I hope common sense will prevail and Siddons will pack his bag soon.

Ah I see what you mean. Calling 'Bangladesh' 'Bangla' is such a give away. Only Indians and Sri Lankans do it.

bangla-red
June 22, 2010, 04:56 PM
He's obviously Indian, he's calling "us" ie Bangladesh "them"...

Neel Here
June 22, 2010, 05:03 PM
he has openly stated many times that he is Indian.

Miraz
June 22, 2010, 05:05 PM

He said it publicly today in the evening and these posts were made in the morning.

Nafi
June 22, 2010, 05:07 PM

http://i720.photobucket.com/albums/ww205/Erenford/lol/Sisko-facepalm.gif

Miraz you're becoming really keen to put your foot down on anyone's throat who disagrees with you lately.

Maybe its the frustration of this disastrous asia cup, but really I think its tactless.

Miraz
June 22, 2010, 05:14 PM
Nafi, that may be how you deal with things. That's defnitely not my way of dealing with anyone in a debate.

Neel Here
June 22, 2010, 05:25 PM
I'm sure he has mentioned it before, you tend to associate a profile with a person and even before today I already 'knew' he was Indian.
here, I found the post. do note the date. http://www.banglacricket.com/alochona/showthread.php?p=1169726&highlight=indian#post1169726
edit : after all that, jumping on the poor fellow as if he was hiding something and caught red-handed looks quite silly to be honest.

nafi bhai, didn't quite get the FP !

Miraz
June 22, 2010, 05:29 PM
I'm sure he has mentioned it before, you tend to associate a profile with a person and even before today I already 'knew' he was Indian.
here, I found the post. do note the date. http://www.banglacricket.com/alochona/showthread.php?p=1169726&highlight=indian#post1169726
edit : after all that, jumping on the poor fellow as if he was hiding something and caught red-handed looks quite silly to be honest.

nafi bhai, didn't quite get the FP !

Thanks Neel. I didn't notice it before. I stand corrected.

bujhee kom
June 22, 2010, 05:33 PM
Shakibrulz, tell me this, why do you like hurting people's emotion? Please don't do that bhai.

Neel Here
June 22, 2010, 05:41 PM
yes, his (along with some other BD fan's) comments are really strange. siddons lack of confidence in the team has infected them too. harte harte haran hoye geche, not a good place to be in.

with self belief even NZ can hold the world champions to a draw, I don't get this negativity seriously, how can you NOT play for a win when you are playing for your country ?? :mad:
it's a crime, it's a sin. I can forgive shakib for the run out because he did it for his national team since for a professional sportsman there can no higher duty than trying to win for your country, sportsmanship be damned. but I can't forgive this defeatist attitude, this is not the bangladesh cricket team we want to see. a team much weaker than this defeated SA and Ind, the current team doesn't even dream of it !! shame, really.

beshideshi
June 22, 2010, 09:45 PM
I don't think Shakibrulz made any invalid point. 385 under lights in Dambula was always out of our reach, if Tamim got a 150+ and Shakib got a 100 thn we might have had a chance. I did not like the approach, but I don't think Shakibrulz is trying to undermine Bangladesh cricket in any way.

Ajfar
June 22, 2010, 10:08 PM
Cricinfo can and will say what ever they want. Its their website, if you don't like it than don't read it. No point banging your head on the wall, we all should know it won't make a difference.

shakibrulz
June 22, 2010, 10:27 PM
Eurekaa bro!! :notworthy:

LMFAO.. I'd take the pain to join the forum and post to just deride BD cricket? Dude, you guys are no fricken aussies! And your comments really make me puke.. I really enjoy watching BD play.. And I'm a fan of Tamim & Shakib.. That's the sole reason I follow BD cricket.. No need to formulate your own conspiracy theories alright?

[QUOTE]We have deposed you guys out of the world cup 2007 and we will do that again in future.
And you think I give a damn :floor: Zimbabwe would've won against us but that doesn't necessarily mean ZIM>Us does it?

I supported him because you guys are thrashing him as if he's made the situation worse.. And according to you only BDeshis can watch BD cricket, and discuss about it? Your attitude really make me puke dude, sorry. :sick:

shakibrulz
June 22, 2010, 10:32 PM
with self belief even NZ can hold the world champions to a draw, I don't get this negativity seriously, how can you NOT play for a win when you are playing for your country ?? :mad:

Sorry, even NZ? FFS NZ is a way better team compared to WI & Pak, why are you talking like they're some fricken minnow?

And again, if you thought even OZ had a chance of chasing 385+ at dambullah, live on with your fantasies. End of discussion. :notworthy:

shakibrulz
June 22, 2010, 10:37 PM
Shakibrulz, tell me this, why do you like hurting people's emotion? Please don't do that bhai.

When did I hurt anyones emotion bro? If you were talking about that moron comment, sorry for that, that wasn't meant personally. Don't take it in the literal sense. If it did hurt his feelings, I'm then terribly sorry for that.

One World
June 22, 2010, 11:02 PM
Shakibrulz calling Miraz Indian and portraying him as trying to malign BD Cricket made my day. HHS.

deshifan
June 22, 2010, 11:03 PM
Junaid deserved a hundred IMO.

shakibrulz
June 22, 2010, 11:07 PM
Shakibrulz calling Miraz Indian and portraying him as trying to malign BD Cricket made my day. HHS.

Huh? When did I say so?

One World
June 22, 2010, 11:09 PM
Huh? When did I say so?

Eurekaa bro!! :notworthy:
[quote]
LMFAO.. I'd take the pain to join the forum and post to just deride BD cricket? Dude, you guys are no fricken aussies! And your comments really make me puke.. I really enjoy watching BD play.. And I'm a fan of Tamim & Shakib.. That's the sole reason I follow BD cricket.. No need to formulate your own conspiracy theories alright?

And you think I give a damn :floor: Zimbabwe would've won against us but that doesn't necessarily mean ZIM>Us does it?

I supported him because you guys are thrashing him as if he's made the situation worse.. And according to you only BDeshis can watch BD cricket, and discuss about it? Your attitude really make me puke dude, sorry. :sick:

My mistake, withdrawn.

shakibrulz
June 22, 2010, 11:12 PM
My mistake, withdrawn.

LOL, it's okay, I didn't [quote] him right. It's his words not mine. So it's very much the other way. :D

Zunaid
June 22, 2010, 11:13 PM
I think emotions are raw. WE have had a bad 2010.

I strongly urge everyone to go enjoy summer and stop berating each other.

Now.

This goes for everyone - staff, admin, editor, member, friend or enemy.

I am serious.

Please.

BANFAN
June 23, 2010, 01:00 AM
Sorry, even NZ? FFS NZ is a way better team compared to WI & Pak, why are you talking like they're some fricken minnow?

And again, if you thought even OZ had a chance of chasing 385+ at dambullah, live on with your fantasies. End of discussion. :notworthy:

You have repeated this attitude several times; I don't find anyone saying so.

But you have to play for a win irrespective of it is possible or not. You display a perfect loser mentality, whatever is your nationality. Unfortunately your attitude is similar to our coach over the years. We never had that kind of an attitude even in 2000.

Hatekrew
June 23, 2010, 01:05 AM
Precisely. Imrul was pathetic, he didn't even deserve the half century. But this guy Zunaed is sheer class.
Agreed. Imrul should try a different kind of sport. Like racing against snails or something.

Hatekrew
June 23, 2010, 01:11 AM
I think emotions are raw. WE have had a bad 2010.

I strongly urge everyone to go enjoy summer and stop berating each other.

Now.

This goes for everyone - staff, admin, editor, member, friend or enemy.

I am serious.

Please.
Summer's been total BLEEP all around. First my girlfriend of 5 years broke up (so much for marrying after graduating), got stress fractures on both legs from practice and bowling in tournament here for 2 weeks, and everytime I wake up to see Bangladesh at unearthly times like 3-4 am they have lost. I don't mind them losing but seriously they've had a wretched 2010. I mean, I don't even stay up past 2 am even for my finals or papers, and I wake up for BD games!!!!! Come on guys, that game against Pakistan was terrible nonetheless. If Pakistan can score 380 we can too, it's not like they're super bionic robots or superheroes who live off some crazy powers to score crazy totals.

It's only our mentality which is the difference. I hope we get back sooner rrather than later.

One World
June 23, 2010, 01:53 AM
Cricinfo and specially S Monga should personally apologize to Junaid and make an oath not to make such comment against any player ever.

How many times Tendulkar got out in his 90's for lost cause?

shakibrulz
June 23, 2010, 01:53 AM
You have repeated this attitude several times; I don't find anyone saying so.
Oh yeah? Being a bit more realistic than you guys. Call it pessimism or whatever. I don't give a friggin damn.

We never had that kind of an attitude even in 2000.
How about:
http://www.cricinfo.com/ci/engine/match/64625.html
And that was chasing 292!

And I have my points and you have yours.It's public forum, innit?

aniksh1
June 23, 2010, 02:08 AM
Man that was rough article from cricinfo dude....in all honesty I have to agree..... we do significantly reduce the quality of cricket....

shakibrulz
June 23, 2010, 02:14 AM
Man that was rough article from cricinfo dude....in all honesty I have to agree..... we do significantly reduce the quality of cricket....

The post isn't about cricinfo article, it is about cricinfo's comment on Zunaed. Imrul deserves such a comment, alright, but Zunaed? 85+ s/r is decent by any standards to say the least.

Isnaad
June 23, 2010, 03:11 AM
shakibrulz, I admire your fighting mentality and wish bangladesh had it. :(

cricket_king
June 23, 2010, 04:18 AM
LOL. This poor Shakibrulz fellow is being attacked when he's an actual foreigner standing up for Bangladesh cricket. You don't see that too often.
Nonetheless, in a way, I'd have to agree with the claim that Junaid didn't deserve a century. 85+ strike rate wasn't anywhere near enough in that context. In addition, the Pakistanis appeared content with just letting the game gradually come to a stop, with defensive field settings. If anything, that was a golden opportunity to get a maiden 100, and Junaid goofed up. He's going to find it much harder in future matches. But I also think the writer's comments were rather inappropriate, especially coming from a neutral writer's point of view.

nahaz
June 23, 2010, 05:21 AM
LOL. This poor Shakibrulz fellow is being attacked when he's an actual foreigner standing up for Bangladesh cricket. You don't see that too often.
Nonetheless, in a way, I'd have to agree with the claim that Junaid didn't deserve a century. 85+ strike rate wasn't anywhere near enough in that context. In addition, the Pakistanis appeared content with just letting the game gradually come to a stop, with defensive field settings. If anything, that was a golden opportunity to get a maiden 100, and Junaid goofed up. He's going to find it much harder in future matches. But I also think the writer's comments were rather inappropriate, especially coming from a neutral writer's point of view.

I dont understnad why you guys are attacking Junaid. He was the higest scorer of the match, at a decent SR. He probably wasn't comfortable acccelerating too much. If Tamim had played his miracle innings, and Sakib and RIyad chipped in, we'd have gone close. Obviously, 4 ppl to play near best in one game is too small a probability, hence we had no chance. But Zunaed was the only one, out of 11, in our team who actually contributed OK in that match. Why isn't anyone blaming all the others? Imrul, Sakib?

Purbasha T
June 23, 2010, 06:02 AM
It's true that he didn't deserve it, frankly, but I agree that that Cricinfo commentator should cut his words down a bit.

But, to be honest I think we should be grateful to God that Zunaid didn't get his century. Coz had he got it and then if he had celebrated it, where would we have hidden our faces? :-|

cricket_king
June 23, 2010, 06:50 AM
I dont understnad why you guys are attacking Junaid. He was the higest scorer of the match, at a decent SR. He probably wasn't comfortable acccelerating too much. If Tamim had played his miracle innings, and Sakib and RIyad chipped in, we'd have gone close. Obviously, 4 ppl to play near best in one game is too small a probability, hence we had no chance. But Zunaed was the only one, out of 11, in our team who actually contributed OK in that match. Why isn't anyone blaming all the others? Imrul, Sakib?

I haven't "attacked" him at all. I'm simply downplaying his "achievement". I feel that 97 at a strike rate of 85 is definitely a good score in this format, but you can't just divert from that fact it didnt benefit the team in any way. A strike rate of over 100 was required for the chase, and it was clear none of the batsmen barring Tamim were interested in the chase. So he failed to reach the hundred with defensive fields and no pressure on his side. Disappointing.

Bond
June 23, 2010, 06:58 AM
The only player who deserves to be bashed is Imrul Kayes not Big Z. Kayes is a selfish player and because of him we lost the game against Pakistan, Tamim showed intent, Junaid would have followed Tamim's steps if he was there but Kayes brainwashed him.

Nothing wrong with the cricinfo comment as he certainly didn't deserve the century as he was playing for himself rather than the team, if let's say Virat Kohli was playing like this, they would have made a similar comment. Do you want them to feel sympathy? Bangladesh deserves to be bashed especially the players who care more about personal acheivement rather than a team win .

nahaz
June 23, 2010, 07:26 AM
I haven't "attacked" him at all. I'm simply downplaying his "achievement". I feel that 97 at a strike rate of 85 is definitely a good score in this format, but you can't just divert from that fact it didnt benefit the team in any way. A strike rate of over 100 was required for the chase, and it was clear none of the batsmen barring Tamim were interested in the chase. So he failed to reach the hundred with defensive fields and no pressure on his side. Disappointing.

Hey, it wasn't an attack on you. In an ironic way, his would-have-been personal achievement goes close to many personal personal achievements. Some of Tamim's innings, for example. He always plays the same way regardless of the teaqm situation. That is selfishness too, isn't it? Esp. if you consider us having to get, say... 230 against England in the World Cup, and Tamim gets out pulling to square leg with three on the leg side for that shot with the team at 60/1 after 10. The way he plays, according to him, he still won't change the game.

Junaid's century of course wouldn't have meant jack, but in the past we have clapped many similar achievements. What sets Tamim apart sometimes, is that he actually changes the momentum of the game from near-impossible situations, and only a group of donkeys in the middle order such as ours (Sakib, Ash) can spoil that time and again. However, Sakib or similar scoring a run-a-ball century with us still losing by 70 runs is no different to this. A 100 in this useless situation is only as good as a 40 in a live match. Still, cricinfo would never comment on their Indian stars in such a way. Imagine such a comment for Raina and Kohli...doubt they'd say "thank god they didn't get a century". It was an insult to Bangladesh out of his obvious dislike for us.

What we did was still pathetic. At least Ashraful had a go that day against England. If he didn't, we probably would have had triple the number of people falling for our demotion from test status that day ( though I can't understand why our test status is talked about after every embarassing ODI loss).

shakibrulz
June 23, 2010, 09:59 AM
shakibrulz, I admire your fighting mentality and wish bangladesh had it. :(
Thankee :smug:

Spot on.

And thanks for some support there.. I don't mind healthy arguments, but when people question my intentions based on nationality.. I feel quite insulted.. I'm a cricket fan.. I love my country but that's something else.. Why can't a non Bangladeshi be a fan of BD cricket?

Neel Here
June 23, 2010, 10:54 AM
Still, cricinfo would never comment on their Indian stars in such a way. Imagine such a comment for Raina and Kohli...doubt they'd say "thank god they didn't get a century".
well you don't have to imagine all sorts of things, have a look at this match http://www.cricinfo.com/ci/engine/match/66000.html and guess what happened to the guy who scored a century ?

shakibrulz
June 23, 2010, 12:13 PM
well you don't have to imagine all sorts of things, have a look at this match http://www.cricinfo.com/ci/engine/match/66000.html and guess what happened to the guy who scored a century ?

What does that have to do with his comment? And what's your point precisely? :-|

Isnaad
June 24, 2010, 04:01 AM

bro, u just hit da timber!

Abid_Khan
June 24, 2010, 04:56 AM

Shakibrulz.. He was talking about the Football World Cup... New Zealand drew with Italy (World Champions) to a draw...

bujhee kom
June 24, 2010, 06:21 PM
Dear shakibrulz brother, I am sorry for misunderstanding you before! You are okay bro!

DJ Sahastra
June 24, 2010, 07:47 PM
What does that have to do with his comment? And what's your point precisely? :-|

His point precisely is, century or self-serving scores have no meaning. A self-serving century by Manoj prabhakar got him a one-match ban + fine (or more).

Matches are played to win. Yes, teams crumble to 50 all out. That is embarrassing and shameful to the team but in a different way. Team not playing to win is a shame and embarrassment at a totally different level.

Btw, Junaed having a strike rate of 85 towards his century when team needed 385 to win is as meaningless a run a ball 50 in T20 when team needs 200+ to win. That said, the point is not whether Junaed made 97 or at what strike rate. The point is, did he attempt to try and see his team through. Once past his 50, one would expect him to blaze away.

Jaybaba
June 24, 2010, 09:12 PM
I agree with ShakibRulz. A commentator should not say if an international player deserves a century or not. Cricinfo commentators should remember that they are commenting because they are not good enough to play. I doubt this person would have the guts to say this about any stronger teams.

Junaid did fine in following team instructions. There is a big difference between playing to win and attempting to score 385 after getting out below 200 in the past 2 games. Anyone who thinks in the contrary do not understand cricket and I doubt has played much.

RazabQ
June 24, 2010, 09:23 PM
The point is does CI represent journalism or a fan site? A fan can make comments like "he does not deserve a century" regardless of the merit of the point. A journalist should not make such opinionated comments even if it's a matter of fact.

Everyone else arguing about everything else here seem to be missing this fundamental point.

-- as myself

RazabQ
June 24, 2010, 09:26 PM
Note: as someone who used to use gopher to get to cricinfo, I am well aware that it started very much as a fan site but when it's run by ESPN and has previously been owned by Wisden, I'd argue CI is not a fan site such as BanglaCricket.

DJ Sahastra
June 24, 2010, 09:40 PM
The point is does CI represent journalism or a fan site? A fan can make comments like "he does not deserve a century" regardless of the merit of the point. A journalist should not make such opinionated comments even if it's a matter of fact.

Everyone else arguing about everything else here seem to be missing this fundamental point.

-- as myself

Assuming a columnist or a commentator to be a journalist is a fundamental flaw.

And why a commentator is not entitled to an opinionated comment is also a flawed statement, especially when significant part of the commentary is an opinion in one form or the other.

shakibrulz
June 24, 2010, 10:26 PM
Shakibrulz.. He was talking about the Football World Cup... New Zealand drew with Italy (World Champions) to a draw...
Ohh alrigh, I pretty much suck @ footy.. And I don't follow it often.. So totally ignorant on that regard.. My bad :-D But it's still comparing apples to oranges.

Dear shakibrulz brother, I am sorry for misunderstanding you before! You are okay bro!

:)

shakibrulz
June 24, 2010, 10:39 PM
His point precisely is, century or self-serving scores have no meaning. A self-serving century by Manoj prabhakar got him a one-match ban + fine (or more).
No ****. Manoj prabhakar was just dropped for the rest of the series along with Mongia. They were not banned. Plus the 2 points fine given by the referee to Indian team was reversed by ICC. So no point there.

And the scenario there is completely different. They were chasing 250 on flat Eden garden's track and played like ****. And they got just 16 runs during the death overs. Now that's a completely different scenario. Besides Manoj prabhakar's 66 s/r innings and Zunaed's sounds same to you?

Matches are played to win. Yes, teams crumble to 50 all out. That is embarrassing and shameful to the team but in a different way. Team not playing to win is a shame and embarrassment at a totally different level.

Btw, Junaed having a strike rate of 85 towards his century when team needed 385 to win is as meaningless a run a ball 50 in T20 when team needs 200+ to win. That said, the point is not whether Junaed made 97 or at what strike rate. The point is, did he attempt to try and see his team through. Once past his 50, one would expect him to blaze away.

Yawn. A dead rubber chasing 380+ on Dambullah stadium - rings any bell eh? Anything beyond 300+ is near impossible. And Pakistan had no hurry to get any wickets and set an extremely defensive field. Did you ever bother considering these factors? Oh yeah, let them slog and get allout for 80 and whine how BD are 3rd rate sloggers who are unable even to play out the 50 overs.

wiseshah
June 24, 2010, 10:52 PM
I don't understand why people are blaming shakibrulz. He just said cricinfo comment was unfair. I don't find anything wrong in his post.
<br />Posted via BC Mobile Edition

DJ Sahastra
June 25, 2010, 12:16 AM
No ****. Manoj prabhakar was just dropped for the rest of the series along with Mongia. They were not banned. Plus the 2 points fine given by the referee to Indian team was reversed by ICC. So no point there.

And the scenario there is completely different. They were chasing 250 on flat Eden garden's track and played like ****. And they got just 16 runs during the death overs. Now that's a completely different scenario. Besides Manoj prabhakar's 66 s/r innings and Zunaed's sounds same to you?.

ShakibRulz,

If you were not in a hurry to come up with a quick rebuttal, then probably you may not have missed it all together that :

1. By saying that Manoj Prabhakar and Mongia were dropped for the remainder of the series, you are only reinforcing the point which i was making. Now go figure what is that and how is that.

2. A strike rate of 66 when chasing 250 is no worse than a strike rate of 85 when chasing 385. On the contrary, many a matches have been won while chasing 250 where a batsman with most significant contribution had runs in that strike range (66).

3. There is a difference between eden garden and green park stadium. You might wanna go, figure that one too.

shakibrulz
June 25, 2010, 04:31 AM
ShakibRulz,

If you were not in a hurry to come up with a quick rebuttal, then probably you may not have missed it all together that :

1. By saying that Manoj Prabhakar and Mongia were dropped for the remainder of the series, you are only reinforcing the point which i was making. Now go figure what is that and how is that.
No, they are different, whatever maybe your point.. When you say they were banned, it's like they've done something against the rules. But the selectors can drop anyone based on their performance.

2. A strike rate of 66 when chasing 250 is no worse than a strike rate of 85 when chasing 385. On the contrary, many a matches have been won while chasing 250 where a batsman with most significant contribution had runs in that strike range (66).

3. There is a difference between eden garden and green park stadium. You might wanna go, figure that one too.

Sorry, that's just your perspective. 85 is a decent s/r to say the least, especially given the bowler friendly conditions.

And sorry, my bad, I meant Kanpur. And you mean chasing at Kanpur and Dambulla where average second innings score is less than 250 is the same? :lol:

And you forget that he Manoj Prabhakar and Mongiya defensively in the death overs, yielding just 16 off the last 10 overs. Now that's pathetic, in a good batting surface. That's an entirely different scenario from this. Compare apple to apples or let's not bother comparing.

DJ Sahastra
June 25, 2010, 09:47 AM
No, they are different, whatever maybe your point.. When you say they were banned, it's like they've done something against the rules. But the selectors can drop anyone based on their performance.

You did not get the point. Never mind.

Sorry, that's just your perspective. 85 is a decent s/r to say the least, especially given the bowler friendly conditions.

No, it is not a matter of perspective that a s/r of 85 is nowhere close to decent when chasing 385. It is a matter of fact.

And sorry, my bad, I meant Kanpur. And you mean chasing at Kanpur and Dambulla where average second innings score is less than 250 is the same?

You have no clue what you are talking about. You are comparing playing conditions of a different era with today without having any clue about what they were and what they are. Not your fault - almanac reports and googles can only get you so far. I assume you haven't seen that match and were merely shooting off. 250 was NOT an easy chase.

And you forget that he Manoj Prabhakar and Mongiya defensively in the death overs, yielding just 16 off the last 10 overs. Now that's pathetic, in a good batting surface. That's an entirely different scenario from this. Compare apple to apples or let's not bother comparing.

It is apples to apples. It is your inability to comprehend that is preventing you from seeing them that way. Let me make it simple. I was merely pointing out the fact that a century need not be a deserving century (Manoj Prabhakar's was not - that he was dropped subsequently is a testimony to that) - which is the whole contention of this thread. In contrast to Junaed, Manoj Prabhakar WAS playing for a win until the fall of sixth wicket, at which point, he shut shop. Junaed never played for a win.

Also, you are shooting off from googles and almanac report about a match that you have no clue about. I was there - i was in my second year engineering and Kanpur matches were a bonanza thrown to us. Once Jadeja was out, we knew the target was daunting and that we were facing defeat. We still expected Manoj and Mongia to go out with Guns blazing. 9 over 63 runs sounds easy, unless you were watching the game. It sounds more easy for someone who has seen plethora of modern ODIs, maybe. And that is the case with you here - you are making assumptions based on maybe a cricinfo scorecard or an almanac report. You are applying yardstick of how the games are played now to a different era. Manoj was not dropped because of his performance - his century was not the slowest that the cricket had seen for a target of 250. He was discredited not for a s/r of 66 - far from it. He was dropped for shutting shop in face of a daunting task. Giving up too soon - is the apple. And that apple is as applesome for manoj as for Junaed. If you see them as apples and oranges, you need take a lesson in comprehension.

RazabQ
June 25, 2010, 09:59 AM
Assuming a columnist or a commentator to be a journalist is a fundamental flaw.Columnist no. Notice I have said nothing about Mongia's ***-backwards piece. I just chose not to read it. Commentator, unless he's of the color variety _is_ expected to have a journalistic bent. How would you like it if you were watching the world cup and the play-by-play guy kept on saying things like, "well Brazil's shot on corner was undeserved." or "Italy lost today and deserved it because I don't like defensive soccer"?

And why a commentator is not entitled to an opinionated comment is also a flawed statement, especially when significant part of the commentary is an opinion in one form or the other.Right. "Bowls a flighted deliver outside off-stump and it's driven to the covers for 2." Boy that's a lot of of opinion on that statement. Because what is flight? One man's flight is another man's lob ... or whatever. Look DJ - you can have distaste for Junaed's innings and can debate that point away. That does not make it right that a commentator who is there to give play-by-play injects crassly personal opinion into the reporting. The fact that you insist on defending the commentator too is disappointing.

-- As myself

Neel Here
June 25, 2010, 10:02 AM
on target through and through DJ, not least with the last sentence. :D

DJ Sahastra
June 25, 2010, 10:20 AM
RazabQ,

I am not trying to defend commentator or columnists. I read enough crap from foxnews and cnn and spend so much time trying to get the actual information out of the media report, that i don't believe there are truly journalist pieces anymore.

That said, i am sick of this "India" commentator/columnist bashing that goes on this forum - some direct, some coated. Trust me, if i had it my way, i DO NOT want any Indian commentator/columnist to have anything to do with any BD matches. If one had to make an impression, reading comments from this forum, it would sound like any cricinfo columnist/commentator whose name has an Indian touch is out to purposely deride/insult or humiliate BD team.

I don't have distaste for Junaed's innings. For that matter, i don't fault him for following the strategy given to him by his coach/captain. But yes, i do have a distaste for a defence of that or similar inning. Not the same thing, you will agree with me.

shakibrulz
June 25, 2010, 10:35 AM
You did not get the point. Never mind.

No, it is not a matter of perspective that a s/r of 85 is nowhere close to decent when chasing 385. It is a matter of fact.

You have no clue what you are talking about. You are comparing playing conditions of a different era with today without having any clue about what they were and what they are. Not your fault - almanac reports and googles can only get you so far. I assume you haven't seen that match and were merely shooting off. 250 was NOT an easy chase.

It is apples to apples. It is your inability to comprehend that is preventing you from seeing them that way. Let me make it simple. I was merely pointing out the fact that a century need not be a deserving century (Manoj Prabhakar's was not - that he was dropped subsequently is a testimony to that) - which is the whole contention of this thread. In contrast to Junaed, Manoj Prabhakar WAS playing for a win until the fall of sixth wicket, at which point, he shut shop. Junaed never played for a win.

Also, you are shooting off from googles and almanac report about a match that you have no clue about. I was there - i was in my second year engineering and Kanpur matches were a bonanza thrown to us. Once Jadeja was out, we knew the target was daunting and that we were facing defeat. We still expected Manoj and Mongia to go out with Guns blazing. 9 over 63 runs sounds easy, unless you were watching the game. It sounds more easy for someone who has seen plethora of modern ODIs, maybe. And that is the case with you here - you are making assumptions based on maybe a cricinfo scorecard or an almanac report. You are applying yardstick of how the games are played now to a different era. Manoj was not dropped because of his performance - his century was not the slowest that the cricket had seen for a target of 250. He was discredited not for a s/r of 66 - far from it. He was dropped for shutting shop in face of a daunting task. Giving up too soon - is the apple. And that apple is as applesome for manoj as for Junaed. If you see them as apples and oranges, you need take a lesson in comprehension.

Again you are missing the point. You say 250 was never easy to chase in Kanpur for India, and think 385 was possible in Dambulla? I don't need any Almanack reports to state that chasing 385 under those lights of Dambulla is way, I mean way more difficult than chasing 250 in Kanpur. I can give you quotes on chasing by Malinga in which he said chasing was always going to be tough for visitors especially.

And I didn't say 9 overs 63 was easy at that time, I understand but 16 runs off 9 overs at death? Zunaed took the time settled and went for the biggies, but as you say, Prabhakar was in good touch, but drastically slowed down at the end. And that sounds all the same for you? Let's not bother to argue further if you think both are the same.

Hatekrew
June 25, 2010, 06:08 PM
In the context of this match, the comment was as crap as any! Imrul didn't deserve that 50, as we all know, a strike rate of 85+ is not bad in ODIs and knowing that is what Junaed's standard is, to expect anything more is moronic from any of us. So well done Junaed, just better yourself next time. As for the pathetic middle and lower order and the bowling line up, FIND YOURSELVES PLEASE!

Off-Topic: Hatekrew Rakib naki?
Hu Wafi naki? lol

Hatekrew
June 25, 2010, 06:17 PM
It's true that he didn't deserve it, frankly, but I agree that that Cricinfo commentator should cut his words down a bit.

But, to be honest I think we should be grateful to God that Zunaid didn't get his century. Coz had he got it and then if he had celebrated it, where would we have hidden our faces? :-|
How're you so sure that he would've celebrated it ?