PDA

View Full Version : How to beat Bangladesh in ODIs

Miraz
June 22, 2010, 09:25 AM
An interesting observation from a seasoned English blogger.

Tuesday, 22 June 2010

How to beat Bangladesh in ODIs (http://theoldbatsman.blogspot.com/2010/06/how-to-beat-bangladesh-in-odis.html)

It's easy. Simply make a total that Jamie Siddons doesn't think they can chase. Then he'll tell them not to bother (http://www.cricinfo.com/asia2010/content/current/story/464245.html).

'I'm not going to let anyone criticise the team for our approach,' said Siddons, after Bangladesh subjected the crowd at Dambulla to 'three and a half hours of torture', including a period of 26 overs where they hit three boundaries, two of which were unintended. 'If Tamim had made 150, we could have chased 350-380... but Imrul and Junaid had no chance... no chance'.

I admired Siddons and Bangladesh when they were in England last month. He does them, and cricket, a grave disservice here. The game is played on the basis that both sides compete. Anything else is not just unacceptable, but dangerous. Siddons, who leads a young and impressionable team, should be carpeted for this.

Link here (http://theoldbatsman.blogspot.com/2010/06/how-to-beat-bangladesh-in-odis.html)

nasimul
June 22, 2010, 09:32 AM
Eleven living creatures should be enough......IMO

Tiger444
June 22, 2010, 10:02 AM
I really hope media goes hard at Siddons for this..not going for a win just because you don't think you have the players 2 is just terrible..I really feel for Imrul and Zunaed..how can the coach not have faith in you in winning games? I realized that all our batsmen have played selfish innings except tamim..for example Roqibul and Shakib's negative batting against Sri Lanka in the Idea Cup, Mahmudullah and Naeem's negative batting against England in the 3rd ODI, Ash's extremely defensive 50 against Pakistan in the Kitply Cup including the maiden against Younis Khan and now Imrul and Zunaed's snail pace batting against Pakistan in the Asia Cup..Its just sad that Siddons is instilling this approach with our batsmen..all these players that I listed can be very good batsmen but if Siddons is teaching them 2 not go for any risks and bat this negatively then we will really suffer..

akabir77
June 22, 2010, 10:12 AM
this is bull. he is just saying the truth that you ALL KNOW. do you really think BD could win chasing 385 against PAK in the lights where it starts spinning like hell? if you do then I suggest you wake up.

Siddon is saying what is truth and we don't have players to chase the big total so he went for the next best thing which could come out from the game. have the batsmen some batting practice.

Tiger444
June 22, 2010, 10:44 AM
this is bull. he is just saying the truth that you ALL KNOW. do you really think BD could win chasing 385 against PAK in the lights where it starts spinning like hell? if you do then I suggest you wake up.

Siddon is saying what is truth and we don't have players to chase the big total so he went for the next best thing which could come out from the game. have the batsmen some batting practice.

Okay let's say your playing some sport..lets say football since I see that your a Tony Gonzalez fan..your the back up running back and your star running back gets injured..does the coach all of a sudden say lets just give up? Or does he say oh akabir can't win us the game..thats okay if a fan says that but a coach saying that? Wouldn't that get your morale down? I would be very upset if a coach says that..thats just a negative attitude..and your actually backing up not winning a game? I agree we're not nearly as good as Pakistan, India or Sri Lanka but that doesn't mean you just give up the chase..Back when Zimbabwe was facing Pakistan at their home they were posting these monster 300 totals and Zimbabwe went for the win every single time..look at Ireland against Australia even..they went down to the wire against them and they just started playing cricket..

Raynman
June 22, 2010, 11:22 AM
There always has to be an intent to win. Ash's 90 was admirable against ENG in 2005 because it showed an intent to chase down the score.

Siddons could have put Shakib and Mash and Juhurul up the order if he felt Imrul and Junaed were not up to par.

What if Tamim did score a 100 ball 150? Would Siddons expect Junaed and Imrul to be able to score the remaining 235 in 200 balls?

What is the point of prepping a team to be 240/250 team when 300 is becoming the norm.

ZIM chased down 270+ scores against IND and SL. Maybe Siddons would be happier with BD playing with the associates. Lets see how he does against IRELAND.

shakibrulz
June 22, 2010, 11:34 AM
There always has to be an intent to win. Ash's 90 was admirable against ENG in 2005 because it showed an intent to chase down the score.

Siddons could have put Shakib and Mash and Juhurul up the order if he felt Imrul and Junaed were not up to par.

What if Tamim did score a 100 ball 150? Would Siddons expect Junaed and Imrul to be able to score the remaining 235 in 200 balls?

What is the point of prepping a team to be 240/250 team when 300 is becoming the norm.

ZIM chased down 270+ scores against IND and SL. Maybe Siddons would be happier with BD playing with the associates. Lets see how he does against IRELAND.

Do you have the slightest idea how hard is chasing under lights against a formidable bowling attack in Dambullah?

Indians played a second string side, and even their regulars suck in the bowling department. And Srilanka too went without Malinga. It was a win the toss - win the game tourney. Taking nothing away from Zim though.

Tiger444
June 22, 2010, 12:12 PM
Do you have the slightest idea how hard is chasing under lights against a formidable bowling attack in Dambullah?

Indians played a second string side, and even their regulars suck in the bowling department. And Srilanka too went without Malinga. It was a win the toss - win the game tourney. Taking nothing away from Zim though.

Thats not the point..you always have 2 try and beat the opposition..if you already accept a loss and dont even go for it then why bother playing? I don't mind if they went 4 it and ended up falling short..just not trying 2 get the target is negative..yes chasing 386 is a near impossible ask but not even going 4 boundaries is ridiculous..

shakibrulz
June 22, 2010, 12:23 PM
Thats not the point..you always have 2 try and beat the opposition..if you already accept a loss and dont even go for it then why bother playing? I don't mind if they went 4 it and ended up falling short..just not trying 2 get the target is negative..yes chasing 386 is a near impossible ask but not even going 4 boundaries is ridiculous..

Yawn.

Agree that Imrul could've done way better than his painful innings, but the guy was clearly struggling, only played one convincing shot that got him 4. But Zunaed can't be blamed, the poor guy played a decent enough inning with a healthy strike rate. And about going for boundaries, well Pakistani bowlers bowled a tight line with the field spread, so had they taken the risk, they wouldn't have even survived 25 overs, and would've got out for 150 or something, and everyone of those fricken critics would've whined about how bangla can't even bat out 50 overs. :sick: Atleast they got the highest partnership of Asia cup, and that is Indeed an achievement. Way better than getting allout for 150 slogging for 380 IMO.

Miraz
June 22, 2010, 12:28 PM
Shakibrulz, it is Bangladesh not Bangla, Thanks.

shakibrulz
June 22, 2010, 12:37 PM
Shakibrulz, it is Bangladesh not Bangla, Thanks.

Yeah, just can't type Bangladesh all the time, thats y.

Will say Ban from now on, no hard feelings! :-D

magic boy
June 22, 2010, 12:51 PM
Yeah, just can't type Bangladesh all the time, thats y.

Will say Ban from now on, no hard feelings! :-D

you better use BD to mean Bangladesh

shakibrulz
June 22, 2010, 12:55 PM
you better use BD to mean Bangladesh

Yeah, will do. :-D

Imteaz
June 22, 2010, 12:56 PM
Siddons is right.

Dilscoop
June 22, 2010, 12:58 PM

What T444 said. We are not paying that fool to be truthful. Thats not what a coach suppose to do, or any decent coach does. But hey it's Siddons.

I'd expect you to understand that, some of the comments you make is really clueless, just like JS

Farhad
June 22, 2010, 01:01 PM
I have a feeling that if BD went through business as usual in the first 2 games, scoring between 230-250, JS would have a go at it. Instead we scored sub-200 in back to back games for what seemed to be the first time in a long time. I'm sure JS wanted to get out of the tournament with at least one game where they didnt collapse. Build up batting confidence again. Cant fault him for it. I would have done the same thing, however ugly or 'torturous' it was...

simon
June 22, 2010, 03:21 PM
Siddons was logical to some extent,but it's mainly Imrul's innings that made it look so bad.
I'm sure Siddons wanted more than that but Imrul was a pain,he made it more controversial,except him all others were looking for quick runs,he shoulld hv followed Junaid.

reyme
June 22, 2010, 06:18 PM
We are not paying that fool to be truthful. Thats not what a coach suppose to do, or any decent coach does. But hey it's Siddons.

I'd expect you to understand that, some of the comments you make is really clueless, just like JS

Well said dude!

reyme
June 22, 2010, 06:21 PM
Q: How to have a good lifestyle without doing any work?

A: Just follow JS.

rahat90
June 22, 2010, 06:26 PM
look put it dis way. in football:
if brazil was playin new zealand
and brazil is 3-0 up in 75 mins
would new zealand go for win? nooo...they would play to save their face so brazil dont score more goals.
and then would any1 bash them for not trying? i dont think so.
same ere. 385 imposs, in dambulla under light. so why not score 270 ish??
overeacting is goin on here, wakeup ppl we are not south africa of cricket!!!

IloveAsh
June 22, 2010, 07:11 PM
It might not had been pretty to watch, but it'll do the batsmen good for the future, particularly for Siddique who I thought played brilliantly and deserved a hundred.

al-Sagar
June 22, 2010, 10:14 PM
after two matches where we were allout in 35 and 40 overs ..... this performance was just a regain confidence type innings

cant blame too much.

anyway media are blaming us gor not trying to chase. if we had and faltered in 30-40 overs for 180-210 then still they would have blamed us for other reasons.

one way or other they just want to blame us whatever oppurtunity they get.

and the biggest problem is we still have not got anything to silence them

al-Sagar
June 22, 2010, 10:16 PM
one example......

BD vs AUS t20 match and IRE vs AUS odi match.

BD troubled aus more than IRE did agaisnt aussies.

but media claims BD game a comfortable win and IREland game a struggling game for AUssies which actually is not.

One World
June 22, 2010, 11:06 PM
Well I think Sidharth Monga was vyeing for another record for PAK, a defeat for BD surpassing the 233. Also he might have been hoping that we could topple India in the defeat with most run difference. May be his colleague Osman Samiudding had some input to it as well.

Anyway SM, we are here and yes we took it to the level where PAK after making close to 400 run could not really bowl well to complete annihilation. If this is killing ODI then any team chasing and losing in a T20 does the same for T20. I can recall numerous IPL and Champ League matches of similar category.

Hyro
June 22, 2010, 11:30 PM

if u know that u cant compete..then why even play cricket ? do u think any sport is played only for the benefit of the players ? what about the viewers ? think any sport survives only as long as the viwers are interested in it..

so u guys totaly disrespected & didnt give too shits about the viewers & the fans...which are millions...

if u go to bat purposfuly knowing that u wont even try..thats just letting the sports down, letting the fans & viwers down but most of all its letting your selfves down...

it is shameful..

if this is how bangladesh gonna approach their future matches (any score above 320+ they gonna give up)..u guys ARE NOT GOOD ENOUGH TO PLAY IN THIS LEAGUE..

I am a Sri Lankan who supported your team.. but if your teams gonna be pussies who accepts defeat & give up meekly even before u bat if the score is above 300..then seriously get the hell out of ODIs..because simply u do not deserve to play this great game we love so much

sorry to be harsh..but as an outsider this is the view of most of us... u die hard fans may be in denial but u should hear the veiws of outsiders who is disgusted about the way you played the other day..it was simply shameful

and SHAME on any one of you who tries to justify this as right...

One World
June 23, 2010, 01:15 AM
^Just give us the same India and Lanka team those fielded in Zim, and you will know the new meaning of Shame.

Shame on a commentator and whoever was cheering him when he joyously announced Junaid's exit on 97. He had a good SR and even the junior player from China knows he is no Afridi 2.0.

If you want shame, then there is the shame that Zim played the final against Lanka not India in the recent tri-series. If you elite team supporters are so horny about your stars why cannot they win on large occassion.

The way India perished to a part-time all rounder in the final was a shame for all of us.

Hyro
June 23, 2010, 01:28 AM
^Just give us the same India and Lanka team those fielded in Zim, and you will know the new meaning of Shame.

Shame on a commentator and whoever was cheering him when he joyously announced Junaid's exit on 97. He had a good SR and even the junior player from China knows he is no Afridi 2.0.

If you want shame, then there is the shame that Zim played the final against Lanka not India in the recent tri-series. If you elite team supporters are so horny about your stars why cannot they win on large occassion.

The way India perished to a part-time all rounder in the final was a shame for all of us.

first of all.. i am not an indian...secondly it doesnt matter what team u get..if that team scores more than 300..then u simply cant win according to your coach

and Zim has improved more than you.. so yea..with this looser mentality of yours...even if Zim scores more than 300..u will give up saying its too much for us...

yes..India loosing to Zim twice may be shameful..but they atleast gave their all to win..The Zims were better than them (& SL 1 time) so all respect for Zim... it just shows a positive attitude & a mentality to win will get you better results than your teams pathetic looser mentality

u seriously think even a SL A & an Indian A side cant score over 300 runs against your attack ? and if they did.. it'll be the same story..u wont even try to win because the score is over 300

this atitude will get you no where... and Im saddened to think the state the bangladeshi fans as your selves have fallen to accept such low & pathetic standards from your team

so yes.. its a shame to see what depths once such an exiting & energetic side has fallen to :sick:

One World
June 23, 2010, 01:43 AM
^ Bro you are contradicting yourself. In Zim we beat them 4-1 with one high scoring encounter when Coventry made the highest single score in ODI. This was the same Zim team you are talking about. If you remember when they visited us and lost each and every match, one of which was really pathetic when they lost all their wickets some where around 50 runs or so.

The same team was beating India only because few star players were missing, If you are so aware of a competitive scenario, why cannot India and your team bench the stars little more and continue with the same teams that represented in Zim series.

No point arguing as it did not happen, but had it been like that I could assure you a much better show.

All you and those who are asking for a fight are looking at it in the fan perspective. If you look at a player perspective, just read some of the posts where it is describing how painful and long tour this team is going through.

If we can smash Ireland in every matches I do not care what you think. But I see making this not-so-committed chase a big issue as a bigger conspiracy to demoralize already tired and torn 22 average players who are about to play the associates.

Suddenly why after knowing BD's capability and branding them as minnow this particular attitude got so much media attraction, when the final had less. Is it because Indians already knew they cannot beat Lankans. So let's get on the whooping boys.

I can see a chain of events which give me further alibi on this,

1. Cricinfo brands us minnow after the first game played.
2. They right a big article and create a storm about BD killing ODI (how can a minnow side even come to that point where a bigger fight is about to take place)
3. India perishes to Mahroof. Back to back tourney w/t any success for number one's.
4. Bangladesh to face Ireland in Ireland.

So starting a storm against BD's chase just to cover up two unsuccesful tours by India and also keeping players in a fix while they meet the associates.

But we are tigers and you know their nature. Cricket is no Iron curtain and you cannot eventually make Berlin Wall fall by such papparization.

Baundule
June 23, 2010, 01:53 AM
Siddons is a rocket scientist who gets his salary to tell the truth about how much we are incapable of winning matches. The main problem with many fans is that they do not understand the duty of a coach, they think he is there to speak the apparent truth and truth only, not for working on it.

aniksh1
June 23, 2010, 02:07 AM
Just show up...lol

Hyro
June 23, 2010, 04:41 AM
^ Bro you are contradicting yourself. In Zim we beat them 4-1 with one high scoring encounter when Coventry made the highest single score in ODI. This was the same Zim team you are talking about. If you remember when they visited us and lost each and every match, one of which was really pathetic when they lost all their wickets some where around 50 runs or so.
That may be..but back then u didnt intentianly gave up on matches..in this match u did..so i stand by on my view on "The same Zim team will beat you if u play cricket with this attitude"

The same team was beating India only because few star players were missing, If you are so aware of a competitive scenario, why cannot India and your team bench the stars little more and continue with the same teams that represented in Zim series.
1. thats because this is the Asia Cup..not a tri series that nobody cared much about
2. U supposed to be better than the Zims.. Everybody took Zims lightly..but we didnt take you lightly because u were supposed to be an unpredictable team...perhaps you are suggesting that we were wrong in giving you undue respect ?
3. there was a good possibility that we could get a bonus point... so its not just winning..winning by a big margin to get the bonus point..so we need the best team to achieve that & we did...

No point arguing as it did not happen, but had it been like that I could assure you a much better show. yes that may happen NOW because of the all the criticism u guys r getting..I never hav a question about your guys talent..its just the mentality shown in the last game is what we are criticizing..

All you and those who are asking for a fight are looking at it in the fan perspective. If you look at a player perspective, just read some of the posts where it is describing how painful and long tour this team is going through. Thats not an excuse.. Almost all the teams these days have heavy schedules.. If you are not cut out for it..stop playing hi pressure tournaments..the world will not wait for you to rest & play when u r ready..why did your country plan a heavy schedule then ? why didnt u skip the aisa cup then ?

So playing to loose intentionally is the fault of a heavy calender or the stupidly & total negative mentality of your management ?

If we can smash Ireland in every matches I do not care what you think. But I see making this not-so-committed chase a big issue as a bigger conspiracy to demoralize already tired and torn 22 average players who are about to play the associates. What putting down ? What conspiracy ? U have not won a SINGLE match this year..not a single match.... thats like 23 back to back losses from 23 matches..whats tmore is there to put you down ? do u need a conspiracy in the 23rd lost to put you down ? u already put your selves down with 22 consecutive losses..dont joke man.. :)

Suddenly why after knowing BD's capability and branding them as minnow this particular attitude got so much media attraction, when the final had less. Is it because Indians already knew they cannot beat Lankans. So let's get on the whooping boys. Why dont you get the part where "its not that you loose..its the way u lost it"... it is intentionally not trying to win.. it is cheating the millions of viewers watching u play...it is like taking a bribe to loose but there is no money.. it is like a FIXED match..it is disgraceful

I can see a chain of events which give me further alibi on this,

1. Cricinfo brands us minnow after the first game played.
2. They right a big article and create a storm about BD killing ODI (how can a minnow side even come to that point where a bigger fight is about to take place)
3. India perishes to Mahroof. Back to back tourney w/t any success for number one's.
4. Bangladesh to face Ireland in Ireland.

So starting a storm against BD's chase just to cover up two unsuccesful tours by India and also keeping players in a fix while they meet the associates.

But we are tigers and you know their nature. Cricket is no Iron curtain and you cannot eventually make Berlin Wall fall by such papparization.

LOL..just because u r in denial doesnt make the reality more pleasant

the fact of the matter is..U disgraced your selves through your utter negative looser mentality... U lost all the love & support most of the non Bangladeshis had for you..including me...u r no longer an exiting team to watch..u spat on our faces the fans & made us think twice to watch any match u r playing again if the opposition scores anything over 300..u Announced to the world that u r LOOSES who have no guts to EVEN FRAKING TRY to win a game...Your Coach announced to the world that u have no talented batsmen other than Tamim to chase a large total..there by insulting all the other talented batsmen you have in your team...

that is what we as outsiders think about your team right now... so u can be in denial but the damage is already done...

One World
June 23, 2010, 11:00 PM
^ You are a guest here, at best I can offer you Hilsha fry with Khichuri and Rosgolla as dessert. :saint:

SMHasan
June 23, 2010, 11:52 PM
I have been away from this site since our performance have been rubbish, pathetic.

Siddons must go. He is not doing any good at all. Negative attitude is just destroying our cricket.

And can Siddons take Ashraful with him? If possible then take him. We do not need this fool in our team.

Hyro
June 24, 2010, 12:07 AM
^ You are a guest here, at best I can offer you Hilsha fry with Khichuri and Rosgolla as dessert. :saint:
r they good ? if they are... I'll offer u Idiappan with Kiri Hodi in return :-p

BANFAN
June 24, 2010, 03:16 AM
How to beat BD? Just praise our coach and ensure he continues.

bujhee kom
June 24, 2010, 01:08 PM
It will be almost impossible to beat BD now! Any team will sweato big tima from now on while palying BD!!

Remember BD is for Bad A$$! We are BD, we are sexy mommas and we are baad to the bone, Capish?...hahaha!

Hatekrew
June 25, 2010, 06:43 PM
if u know that u cant compete..then why even play cricket ? do u think any sport is played only for the benefit of the players ? what about the viewers ? think any sport survives only as long as the viwers are interested in it..

so u guys totaly disrespected & didnt give too shits about the viewers & the fans...which are millions...

if u go to bat purposfuly knowing that u wont even try..thats just letting the sports down, letting the fans & viwers down but most of all its letting your selfves down...

it is shameful..

if this is how bangladesh gonna approach their future matches (any score above 320+ they gonna give up)..u guys ARE NOT GOOD ENOUGH TO PLAY IN THIS LEAGUE..

I am a Sri Lankan who supported your team.. but if your teams gonna be pussies who accepts defeat & give up meekly even before u bat if the score is above 300..then seriously get the hell out of ODIs..because simply u do not deserve to play this great game we love so much

sorry to be harsh..but as an outsider this is the view of most of us... u die hard fans may be in denial but u should hear the veiws of outsiders who is disgusted about the way you played the other day..it was simply shameful

and SHAME on any one of you who tries to justify this as right...
First of all let me tell you that even though I've never been a SL supporter, I will give it you that you guys have the best all round Asian team. But surely you cannot be so spiteful of Bangladesh cricket.
Trust me I was ashamed, frustrated, and lost for words seeing the way Bangladesh batted. It was absolutely unacceptable. But instead of blaming the team so much, you need to understand that's what the coach wanted. I think we COULD have atleast come CLOSE to that target, I personally have faith in our batsmen(not Kayes though). I believe that Junaid played a decent knock, but there's only so much he can do. what would have happened if Kayes played like an opener for an ODI? With Shakib, Mahmudullah, Mushfiq to come after Bangladesh would have had a slim outside chance.

I've always regarded Imrul as a strict Test player (despite his numerous technical difficulties). He is too defensive to play shorter forms of cricket. I know how outsiders would feel, but if our coach tells us not to try to win, imagine what it does to our morale? I'm not making any excuses, but you have to understand that the truth is always a little more complicated than what it seems.

Bangladesh will bounce back. I'm tired of listening to the 'we're improving' bullshit as well. We need to win now. I think we have enough players in our squad to be a world class side. The only thing that is missing is the mentality. With an idiot like Jamie Siddons, I doubt it will happen soon. But it WILL happen. We will atone for our sins and shortcomings from the past in a way that the whole world will be in awe.

Remember Sri Lanka had a humble beginning as well. It only takes a little spark to start a fire.

Hatekrew
June 25, 2010, 06:44 PM
r they good ? if they are... I'll offer u Idiappan with Kiri Hodi in return :-p
P.S. Get me some Kottu and something Sambol. lol with coconut curry.

BANFAN
June 28, 2010, 03:43 AM

If you submit blank paper and think that you will atleast score 10 marks for 'Porishkar Porichchonnota' that's foolish.

He gets no point for speaking the truth, he needed to realize the truth and improve upon it, that's why he is paid, if he thinks that he cannot do that he should not keep sitting and take payment, he should resign. Does it take 2 years for someone to understand if he can do the job or not? Isn't he cheating? What's the value of speaking truth by a cheater?

SportsGuru
July 2, 2010, 06:41 AM
@BanFan: your statement really suits his personality … lolx. According to my sport news and news sporting views, defeating Bangladesh is not England’s cup of tea! It is because of the fact that Bangladeshi team is very keen to defeat England due to their top practices of fielding, batting and bowling, whereas, their morale is always high. If you want to beat them anyway, give yourself a try by carrying out an overall practice of everything.