PDA

View Full Version : Bangladesh Cricket

BanCricFan
June 26, 2010, 08:57 AM
The recently concluded Asia Cup and a very disappointing English Tour amply exposes the true state of cricket in Bangladesh. Despite having the good fortune of playing Test cricket for more than ten years and decades of One Day Internationals, the perennially young boys from Bangladesh remains to be the favourite whipping boys- both literally and figuratively- of the cricketing fraternity.

The very sporadic glimpses of success -mostly in ODIs- has served as False Dawns to the fans and pundits alike giving the impression/illusion as if Bangladesh Cricket has finally turned that corner. But- as we all know- this is, unfortunately, far from the truth. The recently concluded Asia Cup could not have more brutally and violently driven this home. The fact remains that Bangladesh cricket team is still playing for batting out the 50 overs or taking the Test to the fourth day.

The above obviously begs the question "why?". Hopefully, this thread will serve the purpose of identifying the factors which are keeping Bangladesh cricket down. Following Bangladesh cricket for decades has taught this fan that one cannot squarly put all the blames to just one factor. There are number of factors working against the progress of our cricket. Here I am outlining the major factors and Insha Allah, will expand when and if time permits:

- Unprofessional Cricket Board (incompetency, peti-politics, corruption)
- Lack of proper infra-structures (countrywide)
- Lack of planning and vision
- Lack of COMPETITIVE First Class cricket
- Lack of organised A Tours
- Lack of qualified local coaches
- Lack of organised and proper grass-root cricket
- Players inherent inability to learn (cricketing pedigree, education, temperament)
Ashraful
- Lack of leadership skills
- Unsuitable Head coach (track record, Attitude, language, culture)
- Incompetent National selectors
- Lack of planned ex- national players rehab programme
- Lack of sense of patriotism, shame and honour

Please, feel free to further contribute and add.

shakibrulz
June 26, 2010, 10:03 AM
I think they should be sent to play county cricket often. Playing in the English conditions should help them a lot. That's the most practical thing you can do.

bujhee kom
June 26, 2010, 10:26 AM
- Inability to competently and successfully manage/nurture/prosper cricket as a very competetive and revenue earning industry due to a vacuume/empty brain agency, BCB
- lack of proper knowledge + direction in BCB, Lotus Jamal etc.
- lack of gyms nationwide. First we need to build strong muscle then we can bowl super fast and bouncer, ki bolen?
- lack of cricket fields/grounds, I mean just playing ground (proper though, just the cricket ground without any public viewing area, etc.) nationwide....where and how many are there for 150 million people?
- lack of interest/practice/usage sport nutrition, + cost? nationwide....regular nutrition is a rare thing and I am talking about sport/body-builder's nutrition....Ami dada Bamoon hoe chaade haat...hahaahah!
-lack of practice/implimentation/usage fo sport psychologists nationwide or at least in the BD national/A-team/Academy/under-19/women's national team should have access have it, mandetory evaluation for everyone, + byweekly session. Arrey bhai, regular psychology/psychiatry-er khobor nai, abar bamoon-er moto kotha!
- lack of proper primery and secondery education in the country, I mean we need major improvement. Then good thinking cricketers will be born.

al-Sagar
June 26, 2010, 11:14 AM
-lack of true fans

One World
June 26, 2010, 12:50 PM
But if I look at all the problems cited then without such back up and service we are doing good, no?

aniksh1
June 26, 2010, 11:32 PM
your last point is everything....take care of that and everything will take care of itself...

bujhee kom
June 26, 2010, 11:35 PM
- lack of mojo

zainab
June 27, 2010, 06:52 AM
The recently concluded Asia Cup and a very disappointing English Tour amply exposes the true state of cricket in Bangladesh. Despite having the good fortune of playing Test cricket for more than ten years and decades of One Day Internationals, the perennially young boys from Bangladesh remains to be the favourite whipping boys- both literally and figuratively- of the cricketing fraternity.

The very sporadic glimpses of success -mostly in ODIs- has served as False Dawns to the fans and pundits alike giving the impression/illusion as if Bangladesh Cricket has finally turned that corner. But- as we all know- this is, unfortunately, far from the truth. The recently concluded Asia Cup could not have more brutally and violently driven this home. The fact remains that Bangladesh cricket team is still playing for batting out the 50 overs or taking the Test to the fourth day.

The above obviously begs the question "why?". Hopefully, this thread will serve the purpose of identifying the factors which are keeping Bangladesh cricket down. Following Bangladesh cricket for decades has taught this fan that one cannot squarly put all the blames to just one factor. There are number of factors working against the progress of our cricket. Here I am outlining the major factors and Insha Allah, will expand when and if time permits:

- Unprofessional Cricket Board (incompetency, peti-politics, corruption)
- Lack of proper infra-structures (countrywide)
- Lack of planning and vision
- Lack of COMPETITIVE First Class cricket
- Lack of organised A Tours
- Lack of qualified local coaches
- Lack of organised and proper grass-root cricket
- Players inherent inability to learn (cricketing pedigree, education, temperament)
Ashraful
- Lack of leadership skills
- Unsuitable Head coach (track record, Attitude, language, culture)
- Incompetent National selectors
- Lack of planned ex- national players rehab programme
- Lack of sense of patriotism, shame and honour

Please, feel free to further contribute and add.

These observances and recommendations should be sent to those morons at BCB, I doubt whether they visit this forum.They dont even have a website of their own.

BanCricFan
June 27, 2010, 07:12 AM
-lack of true fans

Interesting. What constitutes "true fans" I wonder and how that is related directly to the performance of BD crikcket?
--------

One World,

I admire your "always look on the bright side of life" attitude!

BANFAN
June 27, 2010, 08:46 AM
I think the doemstic standards have increased a lot despite least contribution by BCB. More attention to facilities could have done more. BCB fails in my book to provide adequate facilities for attracting/developing more talents.

As far as the development of National team is concerned, despite an inappropriate and incompetent coaching staff icluding the head, we have seen some glimpses of promise, from a number of young players. The older guys who has shown promise 3/4 years back are failing to continue their progress due to lack of guidance from the incompetent coaching staff. However good materials you feed in the national team, if we can't groom them, it's wastage. Like name any player who joined the team during or after last world cup. How far have they gone from there? Most of them are just stuck in the same place. Mushy, Shaki etc

Our coach expects all to be made tendulkar before coming to national team, even I could coach that team with 11 tendulkars, why to pay a dumb Ausie??

These are the two main bottle necks hindering our development.

BanCricFan
June 27, 2010, 12:23 PM
I'm, too, not a great fan of Siddons. He lacks tact and not very intelligent as a Head Coach either. Having said that, Siddons cannot be hold responsible for the oft-repeating batting collapses. Our batsmen have been involved in five diabolical collapses since the 2nd Test against England. Also, you will find this customery collapses pre-dates Siddons era.

It is the batsmen who has to bat in the middle not the head coach. These are the top batsmen we have in the country and they are all at sea at the slightest of pressure applied by the opposing team. How can one blame the coach when the likes of Shakib, who is arguably one of the most gifted cricketers around and the captain of the team, starts paddle scooping or slogging recklessly during the middle of an all-too-familiar batting collapse? Less said about players like Ashraful the better. Most of our batsmen lacks good temperament, guile, grit, determination, understanding of the game, character/personality, self-belief and commonsense. Unfortunately, this is the bitter truth. It seems like they have this innate inability to learn from past mistakes.

If we can get to the roots of these deficiencies most of our problems will be halved. Then we can focus on techniques. Hopefully, I will try to shed some light on this matter in the future.

zman
June 27, 2010, 12:24 PM
Lack of mental toughness is my biggest concern.
<o:p> </o:p>
Unfortunately it’s a national trait shared by many in our country. Whether It's due to the hundreds of years of oppression our predecessors endured and/or the level of difficulty one has to go through on a day to day basis in order to accomplish even the simplest of tasks that sap the physical and mental energy, it leaves most people falling in one of two extreme categories. Either they turn out to be very tough, competitive, hardworking and successful, or they become weak, adopt a defeatist mentality, tend to give up easily on almost any challenge and look for excuses anytime something goes wrong with little intention of actually solving the problem. Unfortunately the vast majority belong to the latter group.
If BCB officials were reading this thread for example, chances are they’d either conveniently ignore the suggestions, dismiss them disdainfully or perceive the problems too great to overcome rather than taking these as constructive criticism and employing a critical thinking approach to solving the problems. This negative attitude impacts our players in many ways and eventually becomes a semi permanent mindset which prevents them from achieving the proper state of mind/ sustainable mental toughness required to bring out the best in them at the highest level of any competitive sports…easiest way to at least try to solve this problem is to hire a very good sports psychologist who’d counsel our players on a regular basis.

Edit: other big issue that comes to mind is the quality of pitches...something's gotta be done about those flat pitches.

Farhad
June 27, 2010, 01:33 PM
I don't think the English tour was all that disappointing. They look simply unbeatable at the moment. The asia cup was a disaster though....

simon
June 27, 2010, 03:44 PM
lack of "Public mair"?:-D

zman
June 28, 2010, 08:53 AM
- lack of mojo
hmm...If that's the main reason for our lackluster performance, I may be closing in on a solution...wonder who may have stolen the serum! (hint: while our national team's performance has dropped, whose stock has gone up the most and popularity risen steadily?...someone here on BC...I see a strong negative correlation here)

lamisa
June 28, 2010, 10:17 AM
Unfortunately it’s a national trait shared by many in our country. Whether It's due to the hundreds of years of oppression our predecessors endured and/or the level of difficulty one has to go through on a day to day basis in order to accomplish even the simplest of tasks that sap the physical and mental energy, it leaves most people falling in one of two extreme categories. Either they turn out to be very tough, competitive, hardworking and successful, or they become weak, adopt a defeatist mentality, tend to give up easily on almost any challenge and look for excuses anytime something goes wrong with little intention of actually solving the problem. Unfortunately the vast majority belong to the latter group.
If BCB officials were reading this thread for example, chances are they’d either conveniently ignore the suggestions, dismiss them disdainfully or perceive the problems too great to overcome rather than taking these as constructive criticism and employing a critical thinking approach to solving the problems. This negative attitude impacts our players in many ways and eventually becomes a semi permanent mindset which prevents them from achieving the proper state of mind/ sustainable mental toughness required to bring out the best in them at the highest level of any competitive sports…easiest way to at least try to solve this problem is to hire a very good sports psychologist who’d counsel our players on a regular basis.

Edit: other big issue that comes to mind is the quality of pitches...something's gotta be done about those flat pitches.

not really that big.i mean,the rest of the subcontinent countries have similar pitches but stil they are quite good

lamisa
June 28, 2010, 10:24 AM
lack of "Public mair"?:-D

:up:

rinathq
June 28, 2010, 12:19 PM
No team stability.....
We change way to often, not giving the young stars enough chances......

al-Sagar
June 28, 2010, 12:26 PM
- lack of mojo

hashte hashte pet ta faite gelo bhai ... ....

BanCricFan
July 4, 2010, 12:21 PM
<?xml:namespace prefix = o /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>

Evidently, the inability to learn from the repeated mistakes of the past is a good indicator of lack of intelectual and mental toughness in our players. The absence of proper coaching and the lack of tough and proper cricket from an young age, lack of understanding of the game and, certainly, it's various subtle nuances are the major problems here. In essence, the unprofessional administration of the game is being reflected through cricketers performances in the middle. Unprofessionalism is an infectious thing and our players are not immune from it.

In one hand, we have unprofessional and incompetent people mis-administering the game and, on the other, inadequately educated (cricketing and academic), ill-discilplined, and very young cricketers -who are not regularly and thoroughly tested and challanged in a high standard domestic cricket -having have to represent at the highest level of cricket. It is a vicious circle. Age translated as maturity and education as understanding is very important in the game of cricket. Other countries have a long history of established First Class cricket, therefore, education isn't an important issue. A good grasp of English is indispensable as far as our cricketers are concerned. Expert coaching, punditry and commentary which are a scarcity in our domestic domain are, usually, only available in English. Education is also important for self-development, inteligence, confidence and leadership skills.

Our cricketers are talented but odds are at work heavily against them. Mental toughness will only come about if they are regularly tried and tested at high standard and in all cricketing conditions from an early level of cricket. And for that to happen, BCB needed to get off their collective posteriors a long time ago.

Success breeds success and failure failure. If you don't play to win, you will not know how to win even if it presents itself.

BanCricFan
July 13, 2010, 06:46 AM
Unsuitable Head Coach:

Siddons interviews, right from the begining of his tenure, points to the fact that he isn't an adequately thoughtful and balanced coach. We all know the infamous gaffes he has made such as not knowing who Rafique was and that Whatmore only worked for short term success sacrficing the longterm ones...I'm para-phrasing, off course. There are a few others, like the public criticism of Mash and putting of Tamim on a high pedestal at the expense of others.

The ever so slight improvement in the Tests is a natural and gradual one. Whatmore didn't have the service of Shakib or Tamim arguably two best cricketers of contemporary world cricket. Most of the other cricketers are also, generaly, of superior stock than the previous ones. I wont hesitate to say that Whatmore would have made a much better feast with the ingredients Siddons has at his disposal. I say this not as a lover of Whatmore nor the hater of Siddons.

Siddons approach is detremental for our young and supposedly "up and comimg" cricketers. The likes of Riyad and others and Bangladesh cricket will not benefit in the longer run from this. The culture of negativity isn't the way forward. It can be dangerously pervasive of the body and mind. And, sometime the process can become irreversible. This can already be noticed in the markedly negative body language of all the players with their heads down and shoulders dropped at most of the time. They have come (learn) to accept defeat as the inevitable too easily and can be seen just going through the motion very mundanely giving no impression of a will for fight. Defeat isnt the end all in sports. But the negative mannerism, certainly, is.

Individual performances are very important in any game- we all know this- but not at the expense of the team cohesion or performance. It is Head Coach's job to instill self-belief and positivity in all the players and not just the one or two favourites.

Siddons is getting BIG salary. He needs to deliver...so far, he has not. Again, BCB should be hold responsible for this. It seems like the only criterion of hiring him was his association with the Australian team and not his interpersonal skills and track records. There is a huge difference of being an international assistant coach to a head coach.

Admittedly, the role of a head coach of a struggling side will always be tough but, in all honesty, Siddons has been poor in every way.

BanCricFan
July 13, 2010, 09:34 AM
I don't think the English tour was all that disappointing. They look simply unbeatable at the moment. The asia cup was a disaster though....

All teams are beatable the mighty Australians, the West Indies of the 70s and 80s!