PDA

View Full Version : Mash back as captain?

Tiger444
June 26, 2010, 02:30 PM
Mash back at helm?
Ashraful axed; Faisal, Rokibul return
Sports Reporter

Mashrafe Bin Mortaza could be named Bangladesh captain for the forthcoming one-day series against England and matches against Scotland and Ireland.

The Bangladesh Cricket Board (BCB) yesterday announced the squad for the tour to the British Isles which had no place for Mohammad Ashraful while seeing the return of Faisal Hossain and Rokibul Hasan. The tour consists of three one-dayers against England, two against Ireland and one against Scotland. The tour starts on July 3 with a warm-up game against Sussex.

According to sources, BCB are considering the change in leadership after they detected fatigue and a dip in performance from the incumbent Shakib Al Hasan.

The left-handed all-rounder, who took over from Mashrafe midway through last year's tour to West Indies and successfully led the 2-0 and 3-0 victories in the Test and one-day series respectively, scored just 42 runs and took five wickets in the Asia Cup and have failed to score a half-century since his 96 against England at home in March.

"We didn't reach a decision yet because we haven't discussed with Mashrafe (Bin Mortaza)," said BCB media committee chairman Jalal Yunus.

The captaincy was originally given to Mashrafe from Mohammad Ashraful last year but after Shakib's triumphant captaincy and rise in form, scoring three hundreds -- two against Zimbabwe and one in New Zealand -- it was perceived that Shakib will see through till the 2011 World Cup. But after one good innings in the World Twenty20s, Shakib had looked out of touch in England and has raised the concern of the board.

"We will sit with everyone including Shakib (Al Hasan) and take their view on the matter," said BCB cricket operations chairman Enayet Hossain Siraj.

But the switch at the top looks highly expected because of Shakib's value to the team as an all-rounder and the continued see-saw in form of the batsmen as well as the bowling unit which includes an out-of-form Mashrafe who only recently returned from injury.

One of those who looked perpetually out of form for the past year has been Ashraful and duly, the former captain was given the axe from the team.

His omission comes after he was picked in the Tigers squad for the World Twenty20s, the Test matches in England and the Asia Cup earlier this month. Ashraful was dropped during the home series against England earlier this year and this drop could be a long-lasting sequence for the batsman who promises so much and delivers so little.

"He was dropped for his struggle with batting form," said chief selector Rafiqul Alam. But earlier this month, the batsman was picked for the Asia Cup on the basis of being a key limited overs performer, only to make 29 runs from two matches in the regional tournament.

Along with Ashraful, Sohrawardi Shuvo and Naeem Islam were also dropped. Left-arm spinner Shuvo was not considered due to conditions in England and the latter seen off for his poor form.

Batsmen Faisal Hossain and Rokibul Hasan were picked in place of the trio with Faisal returning to the national fold after six years and Rokibul coming back after suddenly retiring from international cricket in March this year and being banned by the cricket board.

"He (Faisal Hossain) has shown good form in domestic cricket and in the A team," said Rafiqul who added that they have no policy to cast aside 30-plus players from the national fold while talking about the 31-year-old Faisal.

"Rokibul (Hasan) doesn't need to prove to get into the national team as he has done well in the two years he's been in the squad. He has been practicing hard and he has the desperate desire to come back to the national team," added Rafiqul.

SQUAD
Tamim Iqbal, Imrul Kayes, Junaed Siddiqui, Rokibul Hasan, Shakib Al Hasan, Mushfiqur Rahim, Mahmudullah Riyad, Faisal Hossain, Jahurul Islam, Mashrafe Bin Mortaza, Rubel Hossain, Shafiul Islam, Nazmul Hossain, Abdur Razzak and Syed Rasel.

http://www.thedailystar.net/newDesign/news-details.php?nid=144244

Murad
June 26, 2010, 02:44 PM
It would be great. Team is not united under Shakib.

Besides that, we are losing the batsman Shakib because of the captaincy pressure. He's doing okay as a bowler.

Neel Here
June 26, 2010, 02:54 PM
hah, mash ekhon team e chance paye na on current form ,make him captain and doom his career. way to go BCB.

One World
June 26, 2010, 03:13 PM
hah, mash ekhon team e chance paye na on current form ,make him captain and doom his career. way to go BCB.

Why bother, BD should not even play this game. This game is for the Puritans only.

Neel Here
June 26, 2010, 03:17 PM
FYI I've always argued FOR continuing test status for BD and have opened a number of threads chronicling the team's improvement.

you seem to have a penchant for shooting people who support your team. way to go to you too ! :rolleyes:

cricket_dorshok
June 26, 2010, 03:39 PM
Mash playing 11 e jaiga pabe kina, seta age confirm kora dorkar, before talking anything about captaincy.

Nadim
June 26, 2010, 03:42 PM
so ash has been dropped this time and not rested. Brave decision rafiqul alam:-p
<br />Posted via BC Mobile Edition (1)

_Rafi_
June 26, 2010, 04:26 PM
The player who cant control himself(Mash( how come he will control a whole bunch of 15 players who is better than him atm. The player who sat a precedent by leaving hotel which is already followed by another playe how come he will instruct players to maintain code of conduct.

Farhad
June 26, 2010, 04:38 PM
WTG BCB. Axe a poor performing player from Captaincy for an even poorer performing player. Mash had a much worse Asia Cup than Shakib. Good to see them moving on ahead without Ash though. Don't know why Rakib was called in. He's looked horrible ever since "retiring"...

Equinox
June 26, 2010, 04:54 PM
Might be worth a shot. We need the old Shakib back at all costs if we are to do well at the biggest stage.

Roni_uk
June 26, 2010, 06:48 PM
cool our drama queen is back. Good team but I could do without Mash. He needs to lose his weights first.

Bond
June 26, 2010, 06:53 PM
Inform player Ashraful gets kicked while Imrul Kayes the reason for us losing in so many odis keeps his place, way to go BCB. Ashraful will be missed,Bangladesh will be bundled out under 150 in all 3 odis. No Ashraful to save Bangladesh from a collapse, well done BCB.

rubel_18
June 26, 2010, 07:06 PM
Inform player Ashraful gets kicked while Imrul Kayes the reason for us losing in so many odis keeps his place, way to go BCB. Ashraful will be missed,Bangladesh will be bundled out under 150 in all 3 odis. No Ashraful to save Bangladesh from a collapse, well done BCB.

You are the biggest blindest fan of Ashraful, even after so many shitty performances you still say he is good.

Tiger444
June 26, 2010, 07:14 PM
Honestly having Mash as captain is a bad idea in my opinion..I really hope they don't make him captain..he's not even back to form and they want him to be the captain? I know Shakib being the captain is hurting his game but there is nobody else to give it to right now..let him gut it out..

simon
June 26, 2010, 07:46 PM
this ain't happening!
Mash bowling sucks,he dropped Afridi's catch,he isn't even ready yet.
I see Sakib as a captain for long time.
or maybe the reporter misunderstood,Mash might lead but for the Wrm Up.lol

cricket_pagol
June 26, 2010, 07:55 PM
If Mash replaces Shakib as the captain for the upcoming ODI tour in England, I will be embarrassed as a Bangladeshi. This will be incredibly pathetic and dumb, if BCB goes through with this. Shakib has been a pretty solid captain, he has shown aggression that no other BD captain has shown before. If Shakib needs a break due to fatigue, then the only suitable replacement is Mushy.

BTW, Please leave mash alone and let him focus so that he can come back to form. With his current form, he does not deserve to be in the national team.

Abid_Khan
June 26, 2010, 08:04 PM
Wooo no more Ash for this series

nycpro96
June 26, 2010, 08:06 PM
IMO, Mash doesn't even have a spot on the XI so if he's captain, that's just terrible. If we wanna switch captaincy, give it to Mushfiq. I see no other options.

cricket_king
June 26, 2010, 08:12 PM
How can Mashrafe even be considered for captaincy? These selectors are on drugs. Mash is struggling to keep his place in the team for god's sake! :hairpull:

Tigers_eye
June 26, 2010, 08:18 PM
Shock and aww.

I am speechless seeing the brains our beloved BCB have.

I vote for Mo rafique or Khaled Mashud as a captain.

Ajfar
June 26, 2010, 08:25 PM
What a retarded idea . BCB continues to surprise us.
<br />Posted via BC Mobile Edition (iPhone)

firstlane
June 26, 2010, 08:29 PM
If Shakib needs a break due to fatigue, then the only suitable replacement is Mushy.

BTW, Please leave mash alone and let him focus so that he can come back to form. With his current form, he does not deserve to be in the national team.

Spot on. Stupid BCB. Why make Mushy vice captain if you cant consider him to be the captain. Mashrafe is a risky choice. No one knows how long he can play before getting injured again. And he is too empotional to be a captain. Mushy should be the automatic choice as his place is permanent in the team and he has been helping Shakib running the team. Mash has been out of touch with the players and staffs for long due to his injury. He cant just come back and take over the leadership. Let him earn his respect in the team with the performance first.

cricket_king
June 26, 2010, 08:36 PM
And btw, I'd like to express my dissatisfaction at Raqibul's inclusion. It's an ODI dammit. Imrul AND Raqibul? Seriously, imagine those two in the middle.

Ajfar
June 26, 2010, 08:43 PM
And btw, I'd like to express my dissatisfaction at Raqibul's inclusion. It's an ODI dammit. Imrul AND Raqibul? Seriously, imagine those two in the middle.

hey we gotta play out all 50 overs dont we. lol

al Furqaan
June 26, 2010, 09:10 PM
mashrafee's form is even more unpredictable with pressures of captaincy.

this is a bad move, and its dangerous BCB is even thinking about it. shakib's form issues should dealt with in a different manner. can't change captains this close to a world cup. plus not sure if mash is the right choice. i too would go for mushfiq.

anyways, i dont think BCB will do it. i just hope this doesnt create any rifts between mash and sakib.

cricket_king
June 26, 2010, 09:55 PM

Haha well yeah we need a bit of help with that, but two players who are completely inept at accelerating when required is always a burden on the team. I'd say the maximum we'd get with those to play a decent few deliveries, even with a late acceleration towards the end of the innings, would be on average around 230 - 240ish. I suppose that doesn't sound too bad at the moment, but that's just on flat tracks. In bowler friendly conditions, both Imrul and Raqibul will survive maybe 10 or 20 balls at most, making a single-digit score. You could say I'm basing this completely on assumption, but you have to admit, both are pitiful in bowler friendly conditions.

beshideshi
June 26, 2010, 10:04 PM
If we are to pick a new captain, it should be Mushy. He was U19, U17 team captains, and has a decent head on his shoulders, so if we are to remove the extra burden off Shakib, it must fall on the mighty atom.

godzilla
June 26, 2010, 10:07 PM
Hold on, the performance he showed in Asia cup I thought he was done and now suddenly A CAPTAIN.

OMG, we are doing the same thing as INDIA, playing around to much with the team combo. The coach needs to change his mentality first then look at the team.

Tiger444
June 26, 2010, 10:14 PM
Haha well yeah we need a bit of help with that, but two players who are completely inept at accelerating when required is always a burden on the team. I'd say the maximum we'd get with those to play a decent few deliveries, even with a late acceleration towards the end of the innings, would be on average around 230 - 240ish. I suppose that doesn't sound too bad at the moment, but that's just on flat tracks. In bowler friendly conditions, both Imrul and Raqibul will survive maybe 10 or 20 balls at most, making a single-digit score. You could say I'm basing this completely on assumption, but you have to admit, both are pitiful in bowler friendly conditions.

Raqibul is actually not that bad of a player on bowler friendly pitches..in South Africa he wasn't very good but in the tri series with Zimbabwe and Sri Lanka way back he was doing really well he scored a 43 against Sri Lanka and a 52* against Zimbabwe and those pitches were just awful for batting..also when South Africa came over for a tour, he scored a 63, and from what I remember that wicket wasn't great for batting..he might actually be better on minefields when the games are low scoring since he does take his time in scoring his runs..flat pitches is where he does seem to get a bit sluggish..

rinathq
June 26, 2010, 10:22 PM
mash bowling doesn't suck! dunt judge him by the Asia Cup. He is still the best seamer we have and certainly the most experienced. He qualifies as a captain full well. I am happy with this new squad. Although neither faisal nor Raqibul is ODI material. I wouldve preferred Nazimuddin and Alok. But still anythings better than Ash and i am glad they are not trying any new players.

rinathq
June 26, 2010, 10:23 PM
If we are to pick a new captain, it should be Mushy. He was U19, U17 team captains, and has a decent head on his shoulders, so if we are to remove the extra burden off Shakib, it must fall on the mighty atom.

Dude, did u see mushy's captaincy against the county teams? He brought no success whatso ever and failed to perform at all. He is very young. Give him some time. I dunt get why all of u guiss wanna pic young captains.........

cricket_king
June 26, 2010, 10:34 PM
Raqibul is actually not that bad of a player on bowler friendly pitches..in South Africa he wasn't very good but in the tri series with Zimbabwe and Sri Lanka way back he was doing really well he scored a 43 against Sri Lanka and a 52* against Zimbabwe and those pitches were just awful for batting..also when South Africa came over for a tour, he scored a 63, and from what I remember that wicket wasn't great for batting..he might actually be better on minefields when the games are low scoring since he does take his time in scoring his runs..flat pitches is where he does seem to get a bit sluggish..

The 43 was off 107 balls bro. That's a strike rate of just 40. Even on a low scoring pitch, that's a ridiculously sluggish rate. Though I agree he played quite well in that Zimbabwe match. The South Africa match was when he first came into the team. He was actually a decent player back then - had some scoring shots like the pull and hook. I certainly wouldn't mind THAT Raqibul Hasan. After a thumb injury during the Australia tour, he lost it all. The main point for me is, even those matches you mention, he played well on Bangladeshi pitches. On English pitches (basically anti-Bangladesh pitches), he'll face some top quality fast bowling, of which I just don't think he's capable of withstanding.

Tiger444
June 26, 2010, 11:04 PM
The 43 was off 107 balls bro. That's a strike rate of just 40. Even on a low scoring pitch, that's a ridiculously sluggish rate. Though I agree he played quite well in that Zimbabwe match. The South Africa match was when he first came into the team. He was actually a decent player back then - had some scoring shots like the pull and hook. I certainly wouldn't mind THAT Raqibul Hasan. After a thumb injury during the Australia tour, he lost it all. The main point for me is, even those matches you mention, he played well on Bangladeshi pitches. On English pitches (basically anti-Bangladesh pitches), he'll face some top quality fast bowling, of which I just don't think he's capable of withstanding.

Ya for some reason Raqibul hasn't been the same since that thumb injury..he was actually threatening to be the best ODI batsman at that time..I don't know if its the thumb injury that hurt Raqibul or teams figured him out now..either way ya I agree I certainly wouldn't mind that Raqibul..I really hope he can get back to that form..referring back to that Sri Lanka match, ya he played a very slow innings but from what I remember, everyone was losing their wickets like crazy and he needed to play a test type of innings..the Sri Lankan batsmen all got out to very low scores as well..Sangakarra ended up scoring 59 off of 133 balls with a SR of only a 44..so Raqibul actually did a very good job in that match, in my opinion..but yes its gonna be very interesting to see Raqibul in English conditions..its gonna be a real challenge to Raqibul..I'm hoping he'll turn out okay and the rest of the batsmen bat well..

bujhee kom
June 26, 2010, 11:12 PM
Very bad and pure moronic of an idea. This BCB administration is the most destructive of all in BCB's short history.

Dilscoop
June 26, 2010, 11:25 PM
http://www.cricinfo.com/england-v-bangladesh-2010/content/story/464815.html

PHEEW!

al-Sagar
June 27, 2010, 12:10 AM
Shock and aww.

I am speechless seeing the brains our beloved BCB have.

I vote for Mo rafique or Khaled Mashud as a captain.

lets bring hasibul hossain back and giv him the captaincy

al-Sagar
June 27, 2010, 12:16 AM
THIS IS WHAT BCB FIGURED OUT... ...

captaincy is hurting a players performances, so why hurt a in form players performance by giving him the captaincy. rather give it to a out of form player, who is not gonna perform any way.

anyway i believe if there is some thing in the pitch mash will do well. coz he will bowl the perfect length more often whereas shafiul bowl consistently a bit shorter.

shakibrulz
June 27, 2010, 12:22 AM

captaincy is hurting a players performances, so why hurt a in form players performance by giving him the captaincy. rather give it to a out of form player, who is not gonna perform any way.

anyway i believe if there is some thing in the pitch mash will do well. coz he will bowl the perfect length more often whereas shafiul bowl consistently a bit shorter.

This tactic worked for afridi :D

Mash is clearly a bit out of sorts these days, Shafiul was very impressive with his good length deliveries and yorkers. I somehow feel he's gonna do better in the english conditions than Mash.

Equinox
June 27, 2010, 05:44 AM
cool our drama queen is back. Good team but I could do without Mash. He needs to lose his weights first.
Bro he has lost 12 kgs already. He is one of the fighters in the team. I think he was focussed on losing weight and avoiding injury that he neglected his bowling and as a result got hammered in the Asia Cup. Most recently we chose our last two captains based on short-term performance - both of them failed miserably and lost their personal form. How about we go by experience and flair this time?

cricket_pagol
June 27, 2010, 06:35 AM
Bro he has lost 12 kgs already. He is one of the fighters in the team. I think he was focussed on losing weight and avoiding injury that he neglected his bowling and as a result got hammered in the Asia Cup. Most recently we chose our last two captains based on short-term performance - both of them failed miserably and lost their personal form. How about we go by experience and flair this time?

Look, I love Mashrafee... He is one of my favorite player. He is not back in his best form yet, so let him focus on his game... It does not make sense to burden him with captaincy at the moment... specially, when the board associates the workload of captaincy with "dip in form"!

Imteaz
June 27, 2010, 06:51 AM
Good Luck Mashrafe. Hope you will continue this time.

zainab
June 27, 2010, 06:59 AM
Mash replacing Sakib as captain is like jumping from the frying pan into the fire. He is completely out of sorts.

BanCricFan
June 27, 2010, 07:09 AM
Good move that Shakib has been replaced. Captaincy had an effect in dip in his batting form. Not sure why Mushi didn't get the nod. Mash is still not match fit and there are doubts about his knee injuries.

Zobair
June 27, 2010, 07:12 AM
Our cricket is run by a bunch of amateurs. Why is Jalal Yunus talking to the media about something as sensitive as this before the board has talked to the players concerned?

BanCricFan
June 27, 2010, 07:21 AM
Our cricket is run by a bunch of amateurs. Why is Jalal Yunus talking to the media about something as sensitive as this before the board has talked to the players concerned?

I was wondering the same.

thebest
June 27, 2010, 07:34 AM
What you expect from a board who could not appoint a CEO in three years and how they think Mash when he is no more an automatic selection

Equinox
June 27, 2010, 07:42 AM
This tactic worked for afridi :D

It worked for Andrew Strauss in ODIs as well.

BANFAN
June 27, 2010, 08:01 AM

'Idiots' would be probably more appropriate.

Mash is not even an automatic choice in first 11.

crikfreak
June 27, 2010, 08:44 AM
for heavens sake.. Mash as captain ryt now is the worst thing that they could do.. for god's sake..leave the guy alone..let him concentrate on playing like before... like the pressure of fighting to stay in the team n regain his form wasn't enuf for him... add captaincy to that as well... gr8 goin BCB.....-_-

nycpro96
June 27, 2010, 08:59 AM
When is this going to be finalized?

simon
June 27, 2010, 09:23 AM

lol!
But their avrge is quite impressive too.

Tigers_eye
June 27, 2010, 09:34 AM

Timing is not right. Only 7 months left of the world cup. Continuity is more important at this moment rather than change of leadership. If this thing happens we will start playing with 10 men again. Mash is vital for us no doubt. You have to give him more time to come back. Not put more responsibility on him at this more moment. And he will become the test captain as well? Do they want to end his career with in this year? I mean what kind of thought process is this?

If BCB is considering this fine but why bring this up to the media? Trying to look at all options is not bad. That is a good evaluation process. However, the media does not need to know about this at this point.

If they want to take captaincy from Shakib that is perfectly legit claim with the team's performance. Give it to Mushi, the Vice captain.

wiseshah
June 27, 2010, 10:27 AM
I think riad should be the captain. Tamim, sakib and riad are the three permanent member in the team according to form and performance. But don't want to ruin tamim and shakib

riad is mature also, I think he can handle pressure
<br />Posted via BC Mobile Edition

One World
June 27, 2010, 10:52 AM
FYI I've always argued FOR continuing test status for BD and have opened a number of threads chronicling the team's improvement.

you seem to have a penchant for shooting people who support your team. way to go to you too ! :rolleyes:

Definitely you support our team, but unfortunately in your recent posts in multiple threads you have shown the color of your support, which comes out to be a mere support not only as an appreciation to be of the same nationalistic origin but also a delusion like a poorer team needs some support as I already have the top team India to cherish. This is like the adept teacher who needs to support the student who is kind of mediocre but puts a lot of effort to deliver, mostly fails miserably, while the teacher knows that he has a competent student in another ready for the board exam. But you never asked yourself whether such support is helping the poor team in your book or its real fans.

Mind it, the support you have is not the support alike a North Korean supporting South Korea or an Irish supporting Morgan.

BD needs support, it does not need privilege.

Neel Here
June 27, 2010, 11:34 AM
so if I have to support BD I've to stop supporting India ? wow !

I support BD because I consider it a friendly country with decent people, a group that I personally also have cultural affinities with. however, I would probably have supported BD even if I wasn't a bengali for quite similar reasons. if you mean I don't support BD because I consider myself bangladeshi and hence it is somehow of a lower category, well I have never claimed that I consider myself a bangladeshi(the nationality, not the ethnicity). mind you, my support is not dependent on your personal approval either.

Bond
June 27, 2010, 12:47 PM
You are the biggest blindest fan of Ashraful, even after so many shitty performances you still say he is good.

Shukriya. Thank You. :-D

nycpro96
June 27, 2010, 12:58 PM
I used to be a die hard Ash fan but he is just so bad I mean, it's not even funny anymore. Its just really, really sad.

Neel Here
June 27, 2010, 01:14 PM
look, the guy has talent, oodles of it but he has lost the most important thing, the mental aspect. cricket is all about the mind, you can succeed without talent but not without mental strength.

he is still quite young, if he gets a chance to mend his game away from the pressures of international cricket and works hard there's a chance that we will get back Ash v2.0 in a couple of years time that is world class, well in time for 2015 WC. I do hope someone talks with him and he himself seeks out advice from the past greats.

wktkeeper
June 27, 2010, 01:58 PM
england er current je form jaiteche, tate bangladesh je ki korbo ta allah e jane.

Ash should be rested for 3-4 months and give him chance to understand his responsibility in the team. i am a big fan of Ash but i think its time for him to grow mature.

cricket_pagol
June 27, 2010, 03:21 PM
england er current je form jaiteche, tate bangladesh je ki korbo ta allah e jane.

Ash should be rested for 3-4 months and give him chance to understand his responsibility in the team. i am a big fan of Ash but i think its time for him to grow mature.

Ash has not matured much in the last 8-9 years, you think he will mature in 3-4 months.

Rifat
June 27, 2010, 03:31 PM
If Mash replaces Shakib as the captain for the upcoming ODI tour in England, I will be embarrassed as a Bangladeshi. This will be incredibly pathetic and dumb, if BCB goes through with this. Shakib has been a pretty solid captain, he has shown aggression that no other BD captain has shown before. If Shakib needs a break due to fatigue, then the only suitable replacement is Mushy.

exactly my thoughts!

Reasons behind Bangladesh's poor showing is not entirely Shakib's fault!

of course, He isn't THE perfect captain! But then again, Captaining a team like Bangladesh (where everybody is still in their learning phase which should happen BEFORE coming to play international cricket) is by all means not a piece of cake!

Rifat
June 27, 2010, 03:40 PM

:sigh: HASTY nature of man...it shows man :( Why be hasty?

This proves how BCB views the players/Respects their Point Of View, as a piece of pawn on a chess-set!

simon
June 27, 2010, 06:36 PM
Ash has not matured much in the last 8-9 years, you think he will mature in 3-4 months.

Exactly!
I'm afraid he will never change.

Neel Here
June 27, 2010, 06:49 PM

3-4 months is not nearly enough, he should show very good performance in domestic for a year minimum, better yet two, before he is considered for the national team.

jahidus200
June 27, 2010, 07:25 PM
bring back masraffie as a captain .that will be a great idea.

One World
June 27, 2010, 07:37 PM
so if I have to support BD I've to stop supporting India ? wow !

I support BD because I consider it a friendly country with decent people, a group that I personally also have cultural affinities with. however, I would probably have supported BD even if I wasn't a bengali for quite similar reasons. if you mean I don't support BD because I consider myself bangladeshi and hence it is somehow of a lower category, well I have never claimed that I consider myself a bangladeshi(the nationality, not the ethnicity). mind you, my support is not dependent on your personal approval either.

I am not forcing on that point, I like India over many other countries specially when my favourite players used to be in the team. For example: Azharuddin and Java Srikanth. Cricket is as much as a team game as an individual also. You can hate Pak but you cannot hate watching Wasim bowling.

I do not have any cultural affinity to any of the cricketing nation, I rarely knew much about West Indies and always wondered about the name. That did not stop me supporting them and considering Lara my all time best batsman. So that logic of affinity(see you put this L word in my mouth :)) and cultural heritage does not really standout in a BD context. Why? Cos if you just visit BD right now you will be astounded by the number of foreign flags flying on the roof tops, people going to work wearing jerseys of a team representing the country they know nothing about, people in rural unknown places fighting over an odd goal given to Argentina cos of the mistake of the referee.

So I have no clue about the supporting style in India but in BD it is more based on emotion and aspiration rather rational reasons (logic?)

What I posted may be my personal belief but it is not out of the box, it is a collective community development just came out of my mouth, so your support base is safe but according to BD team it might not be a boost to conquer rather a humility to be submissive - and this view point was built from a number of posts you made recently . Otherwise who am I to question the nature of the support you carry for BD?

FagunerAgun
June 27, 2010, 09:05 PM
Hope these are positive changes.
Shakib will flourish with bat and ball.
Mash will as well as a captain.
Ash will imporve and then come back.
Rock will help bat 50 overs in ODIs.

zman
June 27, 2010, 09:09 PM
look, the guy has talent, oodles of it but he has lost the most important thing, the mental aspect. cricket is all about the mind, you can succeed without talent but not without mental strength.

he is still quite young, if he gets a chance to mend his game away from the pressures of international cricket and works hard there's a chance that we will get back Ash v2.0 in a couple of years time that is world class, well in time for 2015 WC. I do hope someone talks with him and he himself seeks out advice from the past greats.
couldn't agree more...you hit the nail on the head there...talent can take one only so far in life unless it's complemented by hard work. Remember how Tamim trained 8 hours a day with one of the coaches, was it Salauddin or somebody, to rectify his shortcomings against the short ball? The story made us all feel so good about him knowing he's channeling his desire in the right direction and busting his balls to improve his game. It felt even better when his off the field training translated into tangible on the field success.

On the other hand, it makes me wonder if 8 hours of daily training can make such a difference and get Tamim where he is today, what prevents his team mates from following his lead and replicating his work ethic that's clearly working for him! Is putting in 8 hours of work a day really asking too much! especially for a national cricketer!

I always read about these successful basketball players motivated and driven by success training long hours during the off season from early morning to late night days on end until they achieve their goals. As a sports fan just think about it...if you didn't have to go to school/work/run your business, would you ever get tired of playing the sport you love? especially if you got paid to do that? What prevents our players from working long hours until they've at least reached near the vicinity of success or goal they set for themselves!!!

BANFAN
June 28, 2010, 12:34 AM
Don't know if it was good or bad for the team to drop Ash. Time will say. But I think this will help him to look at his batting and make improvements if he can. He needs to shake of all hessitations, he looks caught between aggressive & defensive batting. He needs to check his abilities in the net and in domestic level and make his own decision to play according to his abilities.

But for me, his chances of coming back soon is very bleak.

beshideshi
June 28, 2010, 06:23 AM
Dude, did u see mushy's captaincy against the county teams? He brought no success whatso ever and failed to perform at all. He is very young. Give him some time. I dunt get why all of u guiss wanna pic young captains.........

Mushy has been the captain of the U17, U19 teams and has done a decent job. And ever since he came into the team, he has been taking the lead in positioning the field and encouraging the players. We need a captain who can string the players together and make us a team and if Shakib opts out, mushy is the best option we have. Also i think Mushy would make a more stable longer term captain.
And Mash has way too many issues revolving him already, his position in the team is not guaranteed, look at his Asia cup performance. I say our best pacer at this moment is Shafiul Islam and then comes Mash/Rajib/Rasel. So unless a player has his spot cemented in the team he would always think about his place in the team before thinking about the team.

Purbasha T
June 28, 2010, 06:54 AM
And he's back!!

http://www.cricinfo.com/bangladesh/content/current/story/465027.html

beshideshi
June 28, 2010, 07:01 AM
And he's back!!

you beat me to it! just saw it on CI and thought of posting. Horrible decision imo, a guy who is still looking to find himself is supposed to guide the team?

simon
June 28, 2010, 07:23 AM
And he's back!!

shocking!
I thght it was a rumour but now...
I wonder if Sakib is involved.:o

salin
June 28, 2010, 07:28 AM
finaly a good decision by BCB...

simon
June 28, 2010, 07:31 AM
but well if this replacement helps Sakib as a batsman & if this change of leadership can improve the mentality of our boys then I'm all for it.

Miraz
June 28, 2010, 07:33 AM
Date: Monday, 28 June 2010

BCB Media Release

Masrafe Bin Mortaza named captain for ODI Tour of England, Scotland and Ireland 2010

The Bangladesh Cricket Board today named fast bowler Masrafe Bin Mortaza captain for the ODI Tour of England, Scotland and Ireland. Shakib Al Hasan will be the Vice Captain. The Bangladesh Team will leave for England on Wednesday morning at 4:05am.

SQUAD

Masrafe Bin Mortaza (Captain), Shakib Al Hasan (Vice Captain), Tamim Iqbal, Imrul Kayes, Zunaed Siddique, Roqibul Hasan, Mushfiqur Rahim, Mahmudullah, Faisal Hossain, Jahirul Islam, Rubel Hossain, Shafiul Islam, Nazmul Hossain, Abdur Razzak, Syed Rasel

ITINERARY

03 July: Warm-up match v Sussex at Hove

05 July: Warm-up match v Middlesex at Trent Bridge

08 July: 1st ODI v England at Trent Bridge

10 July: 2nd ODI v England at Bristol

12 July: 3rd ODI v England at Edgbaston

15 July: 1st ODI v Ireland at Belfast

16 July: 2nd ODI v Ireland at Belfast

19 July: ODI v Scotland at Glasgow

20 July: ODI v The Netherlands at Glasgow

21 July: Bangladesh Team depart the UK

Tiger444
June 28, 2010, 07:37 AM
Wow so the rumor is true..Mash is the captain now!! Well I would support it if Mash was totally healthy and in form but he needs to get in form quick and giving him leadership might hinder his progress..Shakib hasn't been doing great either so I guess BCB wanted change..I don't think it's a good idea but then again we haven't won a game this year so what do we have to lose? A change in the team could bring something different..

Miraz
June 28, 2010, 07:39 AM
I do not think it is a good decision. We are already performing badly and we do not want to get it worse. I do not know whether it will lead to any infighting within the team, but it is unfortunatley change the captaincy mantle too often. We should have goven Shakib enough time to set the team for World Cup 2011.

The problem is not the captain, it is the approach and the coach should be replaced/cautioned for that, not the captain.

Akib
June 28, 2010, 08:16 AM
http://cdn0.knowyourmeme.com/i/16593/original/vader-nooooo.jpg

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Purbasha T
June 28, 2010, 08:31 AM
I guess BCB thought now that all ends are sinking continuously, no harm in trying something different. Can't get worse the performances, can it? So I'm interested in seeing if Mash can change something in the team.

riad
June 28, 2010, 08:32 AM
Stupid BCB:hairpull:

Tiger-ess
June 28, 2010, 08:33 AM
You guys are making it out like the worst has happened!!! do you not realise that we still have imrul kayes in the team??(joking:-D)

Shakib is an absolute legend and a Massive asset to bangladesh cricket but you'd have to be a fool not to realise that captincy isnt the best thing for him. He was extremly lucky to have had west indies second team as his first assignment and so he aced it nicley. But truth is he isnt a good captain and that has been shown post westindies/zimbabwe tours! Plus he's become a miserable git ever since he became captain and its very demoralising for team spirit. Let him be vice captain and fix up his own performance because he is really good at cricket!!!!!! and we need him at his best!

And its not like mash being chosen as the next option is a bombshell outta no where! I swear the deal was if shakib can prove himself as a good leader then he will retain captincy otherwise mash will take back what's his!!! And who knows this could be the ultimate trigger which will get mashrafee the narail express back in him:-D:-D

I just hope shakib doesnt take this too personally and both of them can put behind whatever differences they may supposedly have had and work together in bulinding the team as a good cricketing nation. If it works then SCOREE!! if not then atleast we could say it was worth a try..and bcb can then turn to mushi, our last hope. Just remember after our epic asia cup campaign, things can only get better!!!

Im optimistc:-D COME ON BANGLADESH!!!!:fanflag:

Purbasha T
June 28, 2010, 08:35 AM
Miraz bhai! Cricinfo says ''Middlesex v Bangladeshis at Lord's''? You say Trent Bridge.

Has it been changed away from Lord's? I had plans to go. :-|

Tiger-ess
June 28, 2010, 08:39 AM
Miraz bhai! Cricinfo says ''Middlesex v Bangladeshis at Lord's''? You say Trent Bridge.

Same here:-|

Nadim
June 28, 2010, 09:02 AM

Same here:-|

Same :-|

BBC (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/cricket/other_international/bangladesh/fixtures/default.stm) say's Lords
Monday, 05 July 2010
Tour Match
Middlesex v Bangladesh, Lord's, 10:45

So is Lord's (http://www.lords.org/fixtures/matches/) website
Mon 5 July
Middlesex v Bangladeshis
(50 overs)
9:45am
10:45am

bharat
June 28, 2010, 09:08 AM
Stupidest decision ever !!!

quiet disappointed.

Farhad
June 28, 2010, 09:29 AM
I just dont get it. Bowlers hardly ever make good captains. And I wont even get into Mash's current form. He hardly deserves a place in the side at the moment...

Braveheart
June 28, 2010, 09:44 AM
I believe it is another step back for our cricket. I followed BD cricket religiously until the 2nd test of BD vs England. I have called it quits since then. I hate it how everything falls apart. It has been 16 years of misery for me since the 1995 ICC world cup qualification :'(

Apparently Shakib wanted to stay away from captaincy due to lack form with bat and hectic schedule. So he requested to BCB to relieve him from captaincy. I believe he should have stuck it out. But it does not matter to me anyway cause I am not going to watch BD cricket anytime soon.....

http://www.prothom-alo.com/detail/date/2010-06-28/news/74439

DJ Sahastra
June 28, 2010, 09:52 AM
This is a rank-stupid decision. Mash cannot even hold on to his place in the team given his form and his fitness.

The only positive i can see is, perhaps it may inspire Mash to get his mozo back.

shakibrulz
June 28, 2010, 10:07 AM
Not a bad decision. Hope it works for him like it did for Afridi. But the last thing I wanna see is him go for 50 runs of 5 overs. That's gonna inflict huge pressure on young bowlers like Shafiul. And the most important thing is, hope this brings Shakib back in form.

Akib
June 28, 2010, 10:09 AM
Taking Sakib of captaincy is probably a good idea, especially for him. He doesn't need the additional pressure.

As for mash, he barely makes the squad......

RazabQ
June 28, 2010, 10:09 AM
On a related note, I know it's the Football World Cup, but why has Daily Star ceased to cover cricket?

lamisa
June 28, 2010, 10:11 AM
You guys are making it out like the worst has happened!!! do you not realise that we still have imrul kayes in the team??(joking:-D)

Shakib is an absolute legend and a Massive asset to bangladesh cricket but you'd have to be a fool not to realise that captincy isnt the best thing for him. He was extremly lucky to have had west indies second team as his first assignment and so he aced it nicley. But truth is he isnt a good captain and that has been shown post westindies/zimbabwe tours! Plus he's become a miserable git ever since he became captain and its very demoralising for team spirit. Let him be vice captain and fix up his own performance because he is really good at cricket!!!!!! and we need him at his best!

And its not like mash being chosen as the next option is a bombshell outta no where! I swear the deal was if shakib can prove himself as a good leader then he will retain captincy otherwise mash will take back what's his!!! And who knows this could be the ultimate trigger which will get mashrafee the narail express back in him:-D:-D

I just hope shakib doesnt take this too personally and both of them can put behind whatever differences they may supposedly have had and work together in bulinding the team as a good cricketing nation. If it works then SCOREE!! if not then atleast we could say it was worth a try..and bcb can then turn to mushi, our last hope. Just remember after our epic asia cup campaign, things can only get better!!!

Im optimistc:-D COME ON BANGLADESH!!!!:fanflag:

i agree with u 110%!!!a positive of seeing shakib off captaincy is that now we may get to see more of riyad's bowling:D!!!!!

lamisa
June 28, 2010, 10:18 AM
Hope these are positive changes.
Shakib will flourish with bat and ball.
Mash will as well as a captain.
Ash will imporve and then come back.
Rock will help bat 50 overs in ODIs.

and RIYAD can show his complete potential with the ball

MarufH
June 28, 2010, 10:32 AM
I guess BCB thought now that all ends are sinking continuously, no harm in trying something different. Can't get worse the performances, can it? So I'm interested in seeing if Mash can change something in the team.

Yes it can. Us losing to Scots and Irish would be pathetic. And I have a feeling this is what is gonna happen.

Shakib pushed players to their limit... with Mash being Capt... I have a feeling everyone will be like wth... we don't need to perform... and having disunity as a result is another of my concerns.

7 months from wc... totally out of form captain... drastic changes in the team... I'm just tired of BD cricket. Seriously... how much more loss can you take?

abu2abu
June 28, 2010, 10:56 AM
Mash returning was on the cards last year and seemed sensible then (shakib was only really keeping the seat warm), but 12 months on with Mash not playing tests and his ODI form questionable, it is surprising to say the least...

I still think Mash could make a fine captain, my only concern is wther he has the form to get into the 1st XI on merit...

Equinox
June 28, 2010, 10:58 AM
Good luck to Mashrafe.

And as for "Shakib was a good captain" and "Shakib pushed players to their limit..." These are just raw emotions and sympathy talk. Even he realised that captaincy was not for him. Good luck to Shakib on regaining his form. I am confident he will bounce back strongly.

Purbasha T
June 28, 2010, 11:09 AM
Yes it can. Us losing to Scots and Irish would be pathetic. And I have a feeling this is what is gonna happen.

Shakib pushed players to their limit... with Mash being Capt... I have a feeling everyone will be like wth... we don't need to perform... and having disunity as a result is another of my concerns.

7 months from wc... totally out of form captain... drastic changes in the team... I'm just tired of BD cricket. Seriously... how much more loss can you take?

You know to me it looked like that the fun part in the team that we used to witness in Bashar era wasn't there under Shakib (maybe even under Ash). Mortaza has always been the motivator (as they call him ''pagla'') of the team, so having a captain who has that enthusiastic side in his personality, might just do it for the team. And for all talent and vision Shakib has, the team just didn't look settled out there to be honest under him. Maybe Shakib is the best captain in the world, but it just hasn't been on the view yet. So I guess having Mash at the helm for now isn't a bad thing to try. We shall see.

And also a good thing that, now we'll have a vice-captain who himself has good enough experience of captaincy. So in absence of Mash (God forbid :-|) Shakib will quickly fit back in again.

However, the most important question here is that does Mash's recent performances make him worthy of even a place in the team, let alone the captain? I would say 'not quite' and his selection had more to do with past reputation than current performances. But again, we all know what Mash is capable of. So all we should be hoping is that he comes back into rhythm asap.

MarufH
June 28, 2010, 11:11 AM
Good luck to Mashrafe.

And as for "Shakib was a good captain" and "Shakib pushed players to their limit..." These are just raw emotions and sympathy talk. Even he realised that captaincy was not for him.

And thinking a player with bowling average of 77 in last 3 match is fit to play is not emotion?

http://stats.cricinfo.com/ci/engine/player/56007.html?class=2;ground=1434;host=8;spanmax1=28+ Jun+2010;spanmin1=28+Jun+2009;spanval1=span;templa te=results;type=bowling;view=innings

Career averages
Mat Inns Overs Mdns Runs Wkts BBI Ave Econ SR 4 5
unfiltered 107 107 904.4 79 4216 137 6/26 30.77 4.66 39.6 5 1 Profile
filtered 3 3 18.4 0 154 2 2/37 77.00 8.25 56.0 0 0
Innings by innings list
Overs Mdns Runs Wkts Econ Pos Inns Opposition Ground Start Date
5.4 0 37 2 6.52 1 2 v India Dambulla 16 Jun 2010 ODI # 2993
8.0 0 70 0 8.75 1 1 v Sri Lanka Dambulla 18 Jun 2010 ODI # 2995
5.0 0 47 0 9.40 1 1 v Pakistan Dambulla 21 Jun 2010 ODI # 2998

Last 3 matches, his economy is 6.52, 8.75, and 9.4... I rest my case.

MarufH
June 28, 2010, 11:15 AM
If you extend that to 4 matches and 12 months... the average is 95.5. I get it he was injured. If he is not fit enough to bowl his total quota.. how the hell do u expect him to captain the team? People that are all hyped about Mortaza being captain are the crazy bunch.

Career averages
Mat Inns Overs Mdns Runs Wkts BBI Ave Econ SR 4 5
unfiltered 107 107 904.4 79 4216 137 6/26 30.77 4.66 39.6 5 1 Profile
filtered 4 4 24.4 0 191 2 2/37 95.50 7.74 74.0 0 0

http://stats.cricinfo.com/ci/engine/player/56007.html?class=2;spanmax1=28+Jun+2010;spanmin1=2 8+Jun+2009;spanval1=span;template=results;type=bow ling;view=innings

Tanvir703
June 28, 2010, 11:16 AM
Awesome decision. Shak was a horrible captain. He goes in to the game with losing mentality. He's way to defensive. He can't even win a freaking coin toss most of the time :lol: with a 50/50 chance. He overbowls his butt-buddy razzak and jealous of Riyad. And to all of you talking about mash being out of form...Shak is in great form at the moment right? He's only been bowled last 6-7 times and mostly by PART TIME spinners. Mash not be in form/fully fit but I would still prefer a thinking captain. I would rather have someone with half a brain then someone with no brains at at all. So, well done BCB...and for those of you who's been crying over the decision...its time to wake up.

I'll bet the team is gonna be more united under Mash then it's been under shak.

Purbasha T
June 28, 2010, 11:17 AM
People, people! This bit is even a bigger news than Mash being appointed the captain.

[বাংলা]এ ছাড়া ইংল্যান্ডে দলের সঙ্গে একজন অস্ট্রেলিয়ান বোলিং কোচের যোগ দেওয়ার সম্ভাবনা আছে বলে জানিয়েছেন বিসিবির ক্রিকেট পরিচালনা কমিটির প্রধান এনায়েত হোসেন। [/বাংলা]

Naaiiiice!! All money for guessing who it could be? I'm guessing the best. :-p

Equinox
June 28, 2010, 11:24 AM
^Jason Gillespie me thinks.

nycpro96
June 28, 2010, 11:35 AM
I cant read bangla. What happened?

beshideshi
June 28, 2010, 11:35 AM
^Jason Gillespie me thinks.

would make a better batting coach, afterall has a 200+ in his last test. jokes aside, i think Gilespie would be great but its most likely the bloke who helped the bowlers before the old trafford test, cant recall his name

nycpro96
June 28, 2010, 11:38 AM
Wait, we're hiring a new bowling coach?

Purbasha T
June 28, 2010, 11:43 AM
Wait, we're hiring a new bowling coach?

One of the BCB guys said some Aussie bowling coach is due to join our team in the UK. :cool: BCB is cooool, now they'll have two aussies as our coaches. mwahahahaa!!!

Tiger444
June 28, 2010, 11:59 AM
Some people are overreating to this news..okay I get it that Mash might not be the ideal choice and I don't think its the greatest idea but we haven't won a game yet this year so what do we have to lose? Do you guys think Shakib is actually that great of a captain that has it all? He's still got a lot to learn and remember he's only 22 and it looks like the pressure of his captaincy is getting to his batting..Shakib is averaging a 22 this year with the bat..that is just horrendous for a player that's rated the #1 allrounder in the world and we all know Shakib is a better batsman then that..let him fix up his batting..it's not gonna really change much in my opinion..I would honestly have shakib in there but the decision has been made and theres nothing we can do now..I agree Mash is on the fringe of the squad now and he 1st needs to get back in form but lets see how he does with the captaincy..

rinathq
June 28, 2010, 12:03 PM
i agree with u 110%!!!a positive of seeing shakib off captaincy is that now we may get to see more of riyad's bowling:D!!!!!

agree with u 120%.....

rinathq
June 28, 2010, 12:08 PM
I think oveall its a good idea, If you guiss look back all the big wins we had was the ones Mash bowled really well. He was far more consistent than he is now. It will take time. Even from February, he has improved significantly. I think he has proved that he is a very selfless and eager to learn type of person. He will do well in the team and the other players will also respect an experienced player like him. This is a great opportunity for both Mash and Sakib to get back to their form.

rinathq
June 28, 2010, 12:09 PM
One of the BCB guys said some Aussie bowling coach is due to join our team in the UK. :cool: BCB is cooool, now they'll have two aussies as our coaches. mwahahahaa!!!

Great idea, I think Mash, Shafi will benefit from it.................

simon
June 28, 2010, 12:12 PM
People, people! This bit is even a bigger news than Mash being appointed the captain.

It certainly is a more imptnt news than Mash becoming the captain.
It will be a very good move by BCB to hire an Aussie as a bwlng coach.

Shakil_TX
June 28, 2010, 12:14 PM
I want Bodiuzzaman Jodu Modhu as captain.:-D:-D:-D:-D:-D:-D

simon
June 28, 2010, 01:25 PM
hope captaincy takes Mash to his best,and as Tiger444 said we haven't won any under Sakib against the big teams specially this yr we are winless,so how worse can it really get?

Rifat
June 28, 2010, 01:30 PM

people, before you guys starting jumping over the moon note the term "SHOMBHOBONA" it means "probably" why should we trust BCB? how many promises they have kept to us fans?:waiting:

ma_o_mati
June 28, 2010, 02:12 PM
whoa...what a board...full of morons

cricket_pagol
June 28, 2010, 02:18 PM
Extremely disappointed with the removal of shakib from captaincy. This is horrible precedent to set... Mashrafee is getting a reward without doing anything. Oh well, just hoping for the best now... i really hope mash steps up to his new role with solid performances. At the end of the day, we want Bangladesh to perform.

I like the idea of ganguly as batting coach and aussie bowling coach.

alibangali
June 28, 2010, 04:11 PM
Extremely disappointed with the removal of shakib from captaincy. This is horrible precedent to set... Mashrafee is getting a reward without doing anything. Oh well, just hoping for the best now... i really hope mash steps up to his new role with solid performances. At the end of the day, we want Bangladesh to perform.

I dont think being captain of our team is rewarding :D.

Anyways we were not going too far with Shakib as being the captain and it was affecting his game. Mash was originally supposed to be the captain so lets give him a chance, you never know genius and lunacy go well together :D.

Dilscoop
June 28, 2010, 04:41 PM
Damn, I didn't know that many of you guys were unhappy about this. When the BD fans think it's a bad think, it turns out to be the good thing. So keep it up...

cricket_pagol
June 28, 2010, 04:53 PM
I was just thinking, if i was shakib, I would be really pissed at this decision. When Shakib was playing well during his captaincy nobody complained, but when his form dipped all wolves jumped on his back. It feels like Lotus kamal is finally taking his revenge. Is Shakib likely to put in that extra effort now to play well, and prove the point that captaincy was causing a dip in his form. If i was shakib, I would have felt betrayed.

I agree shakib has not been in good form lately, but most international players go through this kind of lean patch. How do you objectively reach the conclusion that captaincy alone is responsible for the dip in his form. If we rewind 2-3 months to 2nd test in Dhaka against England, shakib bowled an insane amount of overs, scored a century and field placing was quite brilliant as well. He was heroic. He led from the front as a captain. Now after two test match in England and couple ODIs later, captaincy is responsible for the dip in his form. How do you reach this conclusion, surely logic plays no part in it. Even during this "bad" period, I have heard nothing but praise about his captaincy. Shakib is only human, his form was bound to go down at some point. Just like Tamim was below par couple of months ago, but now he is scoring heavily. I am sure his form will dip again, and he will come back. I think every international player goes through that.

I am getting really worked up at this, because if there is no justice in the team structure, the team will fall apart.

Dilscoop
June 28, 2010, 05:00 PM
^^ Thank god your not Shakib :D

cricket_pagol
June 28, 2010, 05:09 PM
^^ Thank god your not Shakib :D

hehe :)

cricket_pagol
June 28, 2010, 05:23 PM
Khaled mahmud Sujon echoes some of my thoughts...

But the announcement of Mashrafe's captaincy caught Bangladesh assistant coach Khaled Mahmud by surprise.

"There was a controversy if Mashrafe could get back captaincy after recovering from knee injuries," the former captain told cricinfo.com.

Mashrafe had to leave the match incomplete against West Indies in Kingston in July 2009, which Bangladesh had won. He could bowl only six overs and three balls before leaving the field.

"I don't know if the decision is right or wrong. But it would be tough for Shakib to accept," Mahmud said.

"Specially in the recent times, Shakib has been performing very well. He was also enjoying the captaincy." Source: (http://www.bdnews24.com/details.php?cid=26&id=166090&hb=3)

Dilscoop
June 28, 2010, 05:52 PM
"Before Shakib became captain, the selectors always said that if Mashrafe could get fit, he might be able to take the job again," said Mahmud. "I'm not sure if it's the right or wrong move, but it's been a tough time for Shakib, whose recent performances, particularly with the bat, have not been up to standard. It's important for Bangladesh that he performs well, and perhaps the pressure of the captaincy is too much. He's still young, while Mashrafe is more mature."

This sounds better and I agree with that. Bangla links are all faltu

Purbasha T
June 28, 2010, 08:07 PM
people, before you guys starting jumping over the moon note the term "SHOMBHOBONA" it means "probably" why should we trust BCB? how many promises they have kept to us fans?:waiting:

dhurr miah, moja noshto koiren na

BANFAN
June 29, 2010, 01:14 AM

I think Mash is being rewarded for his contribution over the past years, any way Shakib wasnt doing so great as a captain and Mash gets it as a pre retirement gift.

dolcevita
June 29, 2010, 01:34 AM
Its a good thing for Shakib , we don't need him as captain we need him to perform with bat and bowl as he use to did 2009

M.H.Rubel
June 29, 2010, 01:59 AM

I am also thinking that way man.

M.H.Rubel
June 29, 2010, 02:35 AM
As a captain Shakib was not bad at all rather i should say he was a good captain.His field placement was good.Probably he was the best captain i have ever seen next to Pilot.But his main problem is he is very young.22 is not an age to be a national captain.As he was very young he had little control on his team mates.This was his main problem.Due to his inexperience sometime he had to depend on Siddons.As Siddons is not a good decision makes so lot of decision went wrong.After getting maturity i see a good captain is making in Shakib.
Regarding Mash i dont have good idea about his captaincy but his advantage is he is one of the most senior and experienced player in the team.This is a huge benefit.H Bashar was never a good captain but as he was the most senior person all team member respected him and listen to all his decision.DW exploited the situation well and was able to unite the team in one unit under Sumon.I have seen leadership in Mash.That is the most important thing.Hope he will be able to unite the team in one unit with his leadership and seniority.I wish Shakib will support him well and it will be a good tour for Mash.
It will be tough for Mash to do the job but as the performance of the team has gone horrible i dont see any othe way being optimistic towards Mash.Performance of our team has gone so bad that i dont think Mash will do worse than it.

stuge
June 29, 2010, 03:13 AM
wow ! what difference its gonna make I've no idea .

mij
June 29, 2010, 05:11 AM
This is pure joke Mash as captain. He is not even match fit. BCB have no idea what they are doing. No good bowling coach now having another batting coach will help out BD. I can't see how and where they get idea from.

SportsGuru
June 29, 2010, 06:53 AM
Well, in my opinion, Shakib wasn’t that bad what people call him to be. But, on the contrary, Mash is a good guy because he’s lot more experienced that Shakib that’s what my daily sports news and sporting sports analysis says!

bujhee kom
June 29, 2010, 07:52 AM
Well, in my opinion, Shakib wasn’t that bad what people call him to be. But, on the contrary, Mash is a good guy because he’s lot more experienced that Shakib that’s what my daily sports news and sporting sports analysis says!

SportGur bhai, you are a legend bhai, you are a Grand Mamu bhai, where have you been all this time bahi? My head is spinning like a Laddoo!!

lamisa
June 29, 2010, 09:53 AM
Awesome decision. Shak was a horrible captain. He goes in to the game with losing mentality. He's way to defensive. He can't even win a freaking coin toss most of the time :lol: with a 50/50 chance. He overbowls his butt-buddy razzak and jealous of Riyad. And to all of you talking about mash being out of form...Shak is in great form at the moment right? He's only been bowled last 6-7 times and mostly by PART TIME spinners. Mash not be in form/fully fit but I would still prefer a thinking captain. I would rather have someone with half a brain then someone with no brains at at all. So, well done BCB...and for those of you who's been crying over the decision...its time to wake up.

lol.even i noticed that shakib rarely wins a toss!shakib olpo boyoshe collar uchay felse,ei hoise ar ki.about the point that he is jealous of riyad,i have been saying that since the second test at old trafford,so it's nice to see him off captaincy.but then i wonder,doesn't riyad get it that tar shathe onnay hochche?doesn't seem so from the way he was whispering and giggling with shakib in one of the test matches

Tanvir703
June 29, 2010, 01:56 PM
lol.even i noticed that shakib rarely wins a toss!shakib olpo boyoshe collar uchay felse,ei hoise ar ki.about the point that he is jealous of riyad,i have been saying that since the second test at old trafford,so it's nice to see him off captaincy.but then i wonder,doesn't riyad get it that tar shathe onnay hochche?doesn't seem so from the way he was whispering and giggling with shakib in one of the test matches

Yup...I was one of the only few who was happy with the deicision of him being removed from captaincy. He's too arrogant. Ever bowlers of greater stature celebrates after getting a wicket...but watch Shaks expression after the wicket. Showing some excitment once in a while doesn't hurt. I think Shak has a big say on the team selection, which is why Riyad doesn't wanna be on his bad side.

That ^^^^^^, Lamisa, is an example of "Upor Diya Fit-Faat, Bhitor Diya Shodor Ghaat" :-D

fishyguy
June 30, 2010, 01:05 AM
So who will be captain in tests?

BANFAN
June 30, 2010, 02:51 AM
Its a good thing for Shakib , we don't need him as captain we need him to perform with bat and bowl as he use to did 2009

It would be a good thing if he wasnt given the captaincy at all; but taking away isn't that great IMO. It generally doesn't go well with most of the people. It also depends on motivating/convincing that guy before taking it away. Snatching doesnt work well. Lets see how it turns out.

lamisa
June 30, 2010, 04:48 AM
Yup...I was one of the only few who was happy with the deicision of him being removed from captaincy. He's too arrogant. Ever bowlers of greater stature celebrates after getting a wicket...but watch Shaks expression after the wicket. Showing some excitment once in a while doesn't hurt. I think Shak has a big say on the team selection, which is why Riyad doesn't wanna be on his bad side.

That ^^^^^^, Lamisa, is an example of "Upor Diya Fit-Faat, Bhitor Diya Shodor Ghaat" :-D

lol,how spineless is that?if that is what is happening,then surely riyad isn't achieving much by being so "fit-faat"because the way he is handled in the team is so disgraceful.he should be worried more about his self esteem rather than shakib then.

sir john
July 6, 2010, 06:33 AM
Good decsion by BCB.
<br />Posted via BC Mobile Edition (Opera Mobile)

Tanvir703
July 12, 2010, 02:30 AM

Lemme Quote myself again....

I can go back and count the posts in this thread to see how many ppl were crying and whining about the decision....but i'll let you all come forward.

Oh wait...you all are too busy worshiping Mash as a captain and his "greatness" in other threads at the moment :lol:. Sad.

Yes...it's only one game....but its clearly noticeable that the team is trying way more then they ever did when Shak was the captain. First game would've been much closer if it wasn't for the famous BD batting collapse...but then thats not the Caps fault now..is it?

Oh...I just noticed thers now a "Best captaincy ever by a Bangladeshi" thread out there.