PDA

View Full Version : Chances for Bangladesh in the WorldCup 2011

rinathq
July 7, 2010, 12:31 PM
Hi guys,
I know its early but i think we should start thinking about strategies and ideas now for the coming WorldCup. I looked at the pool for Bangladesh and i really think we have a good chance of making it to the super8 at least.
We are playing 6 teams at first round,
India, Ireland, England, Netherland, South Africa, West Indies.
Assuming we can easily beat both Ireland and Netherland, it leaves us to India, England, South Africa, West Indies. We could make it if we can beat one other team but to be confirm, we need to beat 1 more.
India has been playing well this year and looking pretty good, but it hasn't been a perfect year for them. Day by day they are looking sloppy. However, Bangladesh will have to play very well in order to beat them because spin might not do the trick.
Speaking of spin, both West Indies and South Africa are sloppy at this. With our spin attack, we can keep both teams under a reasonable score. BCB should definitely consider setting up a spin pitch. The Indians do it all the time. If we can do that, beating West Indies will be positively easy. Leaves us with England and South Africa. We beat SA last world cup so its not impossible. We just need consistant batting throughout the order. England....., well they are just getting stronger and stronger. It will be very tough beating them.

So in summary, we should be able to beat IRE, NTL, WSI. this might do the trick and if thats not enough, we will really need to use Spin to get SA.

al-Sagar
July 7, 2010, 04:39 PM
we need our version of PAUL OCTOPUS to predict our games

auntu
July 7, 2010, 04:44 PM
Hi guys,

Great idea :)

We have a separate section for 2011 WC. So, I think mods can move this tread to that section and you can keep on posting thee. We need some brain storming over there. Keep your self in to this matter.

zainab
July 7, 2010, 04:44 PM
If BD do not pull up their socks and still continue down the path of constant defeats, then even ireland and Netherlands may beat them, maybe, they have a chance against WI, but will be tough for them to beat England, SA and India. They have to win 3 matches with good over rate.

rinathq
July 7, 2010, 05:06 PM
If BD do not pull up their socks and still continue down the path of constant defeats, then even ireland and Netherlands may beat them, maybe, they have a chance against WI, but will be tough for them to beat England, SA and India. They have to win 3 matches with good over rate.

well its different playing in other places, if u look back, BD have been performing pretty decent at home games this year. triseries= they lost cause of tosses, their batting was good. Against ENG, they also batted decent (no collapse). Well Asia Cup, we never played well in Asia Cups. Never.

Lets see how they face the confident ENG later today

rinathq
July 7, 2010, 05:08 PM
Great idea :)

We have a separate section for 2011 WC. So, I think mods can move this tread to that section and you can keep on posting thee. We need some brain storming over there. Keep your self in to this matter.

Thanks and sure. :)

rinathq
July 7, 2010, 05:40 PM
the 20 squad i would like to see,

Mash( Hopefully he plays well and stays as a captain and doesn't get injured)
Sakib (A new start, i am confident he will play much better and our main spinner)
Tamim (He should play like himself. He is best at frustrating opposition)
Imrul (While Tamim displays all kinds of firework, he should settle in. He has been doing that well)
Shafiul ( Finally we have a good pacer after Mash.)
Mushy (Well hopfully he improves on keeping even if not much on batting)
Razzaq (I am glad to see him finding back form. At the Asian fields he could do all kinds stuff)
Rubel (He needs to find some variation in his bowl. Otherwise he has good pace and bounce)
Junaid (Well i think finally we have a better onedown than Ash)
Jahirul ( He is improving fast!!!)
Mahmud(Well, to be honest he was never ODI material. I hope JS and Ganguly works with him a bit)
Aftab(I know he isn't performing very well. but he did well last WC and has a decent SR and AVE)
Alok (This poor guy wasn't given sufficient chances to prove himself, he is able to play well)
Naeem (He played well when he wasn't under pressure (ODI) he can also bowl for 4-5 overs)
Faisal (Lets see how he plays now, but i think he has the qualities for making the 20 squad anyways)
Raqibul (One thing i like about him, he can always prevent himself from joining a collapse)
Nafees
Ash
Mahmubul

Farhad
July 7, 2010, 05:46 PM
Digging your optimism bro :up:

I'm a glass half full kinda guy too. Considering we have all our matches at home, I'm going to agree with you. If Mashrafe rediscovers his old magic and one other pace bowler steps up (looks like its going to be Shafiul), we have a decent chance to go past the group stage. Definitely a better chance than in the 2007 World Cup anyway, and we ended up doing pretty well...

Tiger444
July 7, 2010, 06:33 PM
Like the thread rinathq..the main thing is that we HAVE to beat the Netherlands and Ireland and I'm pretty sure we will be able to..of course we don't want to take them lightly but they aren't very good against spin and in our own conditions we will give them a lot of trouble..so we should win those games..then we have the games against India, South Africa, England and West Indies..i think we'll play hard against India but will end up losing since their great against spin..South Africa is weak against spin but last time they came to BD they troubled us a lot with their pace and right now their 1 of the best teams so again I see a loss there..England seem too good as well and are looking to be 1 of the best teams in the world..the West Indies is the team we have a very good chance to win..no doubt their a better team then us but in our conditions our spin will give them trouble..If Gayle doesn't go off on us then we have a realistic chance to win the game..we'll see what happens but I'm anxious to see what happens..

Ajfar
July 7, 2010, 08:33 PM
I think what will be very important is preparation leading up to the world cup. Back in 2007 we had a really good preparation. Even though we played some of the weaker sides it taught our players how to win on a regular basis.

Holden
July 7, 2010, 09:09 PM
I think that the main problem that we have to sort out before the World Cup is the "batting balance" of the team, what I mean by this is the fact that our batting lineup mainly consists of only openers and middle order batsmen (too many). Someone mentioned in another thread that we have no finishers.

This problem is one of the main reasons for our lack of wins in ODI games. Australia have the likes of Cameron White and M Hussey, England have Pieterson and Morgan. Of course Bangladesh don't have anyone in that calibre, but we do need to look for and play those type of players in the team, instead of playing others "out of position". At the moment Riyad, Naeem, Mushy etc. are being forced to play this unfamiliar role and inevitably fail.These players need time to settle and should be batting higher up.

This is what I feel the team line-up (alternatives in brackets) should be:-
1. Tamim Iqbal
2. Imrul Kayes (Zunaid Siddique/Jahrul Islam)
3. Zunaid Siddique (Jahrul Islam/Raqibal Hasan)
4. Mushfiqur Rahim (Raqibal Hasan)
5. Mahmudullah Riyad (Naeem Islam)
6. Shakib Al Hasan
7.Ashraful/Aftab/Nazimuddin/Kapali
8. Mashrafe Mortaza
9. Shafiul Islam
10. Bowler
11. Bowler

Tamim is our best batsmen and obviously first choice opener. Imrul has had a very good year in ODIs and been one of the top performers, but he can be too slow and sometimes incapable of getting singles to rotate strike which he has to improve. Zunaid, the most imroved player in the past year looks like he has re-invented himself as a very solid number 3. He can be our version of Dravid, the wall :)
I feel the top 3 should be able to give us a solid start, and then Mushy and Riyad would have time to settle, particularly in the middle overs 15-35 where boundaries are rare, and so 1s and 2s are vital and this would benefit these two. Shakib to come at 6, as he is our only genuine finisher.
I've picked the risky options to come at 7. as I don't know of any genuine finishers from the domestic leagues that will be able to take the leap up. I would only expect a cameo innings like a 10-15 ball 20 and I feel Ashraful/Aftab could be capable of this playing their natural game, when the ball is old and battered and under power play conditions. Finally Mashrafe and Shafiul to come in and slog if needed. With this line-up we should be at least competitive, what do u guys think??

rinathq
July 7, 2010, 09:30 PM
thanx for the support guys,
and yea Holden, that seems the best lineup for BD at the point. However, i am not so confident about playing Mahmudullah. He just doesn't get the idea of ODI. He looks solid when he comes down but he was not able stop collapse or slog. Whats the point than? He won't be used much for bowling either. I would try Naeem or Alok in his place.

rinathq
July 7, 2010, 09:31 PM
I think what will be very important is preparation leading up to the world cup. Back in 2007 we had a really good preparation. Even though we played some of the weaker sides it taught our players how to win on a regular basis.

that is why i opened the thread :)

rinathq
July 7, 2010, 09:33 PM
Digging your optimism bro :up:

I'm a glass half full kinda guy too. Considering we have all our matches at home, I'm going to agree with you. If Mashrafe rediscovers his old magic and one other pace bowler steps up (looks like its going to be Shafiul), we have a decent chance to go past the group stage. Definitely a better chance than in the 2007 World Cup anyway, and we ended up doing pretty well...

Thanx.... :)
The problem with BD is when we dunt expect anything they pullout something totally unexpected. But when we have our hopes real high, they just fall part.
We never really had a lot of expectations at the 2007 world cup. But they surpised us big times.

max410
July 7, 2010, 11:04 PM
First lets win against IRELAND first then we will think about second round BD lost to IRELAND like twice, so we need to take Ireland seriously .
West indies will be easier to beat compared to south Africa, but it all depends on the players forms.
They need to practice hard consistently so that they don't run out of their forms .

cricket_king
July 7, 2010, 11:31 PM
If we can play some good cricket against England, and by that I mean actually reach some winning positions, and absolutely CRUSH the associates, we should do pretty decently on our own turf. Highly unlikely to make the second round considering the format, but we've pulled off miracles before.

lamisa
July 8, 2010, 01:10 AM
i am a bit confused here,aren't there 4 teams in a group?

zainab
July 8, 2010, 06:09 AM
i am a bit confused here,aren't there 4 teams in a group?

I am also confused. I thought that in the first round that there are 4 teams, e.g. in 2007 there was BD. India, SL and Bermuda. BD won 2 matches and proceeded.

Baundule
July 8, 2010, 06:54 AM
Our overall performance in 2007 was bad, although we won both of the matches that (and only that) we played well (against India and SA). Bermuda gave us a scare and we were lucky to get away.

Currently, we have a better set of players; but we have gone further down as a team. We need to play well to win against Ireland and the Netherlands. West Indians are a minnow-killers and we always have bad records against SA and England. India is probably an easier opponent for us. We need to try our best to win against any of these 4. It is certainly possible.

dash
July 8, 2010, 07:11 AM
I am also confused. I thought that in the first round that there are 4 teams, e.g. in 2007 there was BD. India, SL and Bermuda. BD won 2 matches and proceeded.

the format has changed....there will be only two groups....with the top four from each going to the quarters

yaseer
July 9, 2010, 02:58 AM
If BCB cannot start planning from now, we have no chance at all. Forget about good/sporting/batting pitches. Spinners must get assistance from the pitch. We need to beat Englang/SA/WI and ONLY our spinners can make it happen. The way our pacers are performing, 40+ out of 50 overs have to bowled by the spinners. If i still see spinners are getting no assistance in the WC, I may shoot some people.

So, BCB, start planning, talk with players, coaches and groundsmen and start working!!
We do not want a disaster like 2003 in our home soil.

zainab
July 9, 2010, 06:55 AM
If BCB cannot start planning from now, we have no chance at all. Forget about good/sporting/batting pitches. Spinners must get assistance from the pitch. We need to beat Englang/SA/WI and ONLY our spinners can make it happen. The way our pacers are performing, 40+ out of 50 overs have to bowled by the spinners. If i still see spinners are getting no assistance in the WC, I may shoot some people.

So, BCB, start planning, talk with players, coaches and groundsmen and start working!!
We do not want a disaster like 2003 in our home soil.

I agree! but are these people smart enough to listen and execute all plans.
Siddons will be on holiday, not anything much going on between august and December.
Bowling, fielding and batting should be practised, also, the fitness trainer should make sure that the boys are trim and fit.

rinathq
July 9, 2010, 12:49 PM
Well thats the point... BD needs to plan these now. Everywhere we visted, its always the home favoring condition (pitch) and against the oppoition. BD never does that...

bujhee kom
July 9, 2010, 03:03 PM
If I was a sport center's professional sport analyst and a sport center news-caster, I would seriously think if BD plays insanely good, we will definitely crush our opponents, no doubt! BD! BD!