PDA

View Full Version : Break Down of bowling attack

rinathq
July 13, 2010, 11:01 AM
Well its evident to everybody that Bangladesh only wins when they bowl really well. Our batting is never excellent. So we should concentrate more on bowling and how to set up the division of bowlers in 50 over format.
Assuming the team,
Tamim
Imrul
Junaid
Jahirul
Faisal
Sakib
Mahmudullah/Naeem
Mash
Razzaq
Shafiul
Rubel

So we have a total of 5 solid bowlers and 2 allrounders. This is pretty good. So we have Mash, Shafi to start.
1-8 overs- Mash and Shafi (They are both economical and Mash usually gets a wicket at first spell. But i won't bowl Mash for long as we need him for slog overs. Because clealy Shafi is incapable of bowling well at slog overs)

9-16 overs- I would bring in Razzaq as soon as possible. He is costly later in the game but he can make good use of the hesitation by the batsmen ealry in the innings. I will also bring in Rubel. I would let Rubel bowl atleast 4-5 overs so not much bowling left at the end.

17-26 overs- This is the time when i will bring Sakib and Faisal/Naeem/ Mah. I will use Sakib for about 4 overs and a combination of other 2 allrounders for 6.

27-34 Overs- At this point, i will bring Shafi for a change and Razzaq at the other end. If Razzaq doesnt do well, than try Rubel. After couple of overs i will switch Shafi with Mash and let him do about 2 overs for breakthrough.
35-42 Overs. Its all Sakib now. I would constantly change allrounders ar the other end so Batsmen dunt get comfortable playing them. By constand i mean every 2-3 overs!
43-50 Overs. Assuming Sakib has few overs left, He will bowl through the slog until he runs out of overs. I will also have Mash finish up at the end. And also try fitting Rubel fitting in for 1-2 overs.

This should be an ideal breakdown for a game against a competitive side :)

rahat90
July 13, 2010, 12:00 PM
this is a good plan and i like it
but u cant be siddons-like and preplan a bowling attack and stick to it, just like siddons seems to do with the bd batting lineup.
sometimes mash has to make changes according to situation. thats one of the captains main job.

Tiger Manc
July 13, 2010, 12:21 PM
In the subcontinent I would go with Suhrawadi Shuvo instead of Rubel. We have 3 experienced wickettakers who bowl very economically i.e. Mash, Raj and Shakib. We have a wickettaker who is expensive i.e. Shafiul so I'd take another bowler who is economical i.e. Shuvo.

We just can't afford to have both Shafiul and Rubel in the same team because then they will have a combined figures of 20 overs for 130 runs. That's far too expensive and there's no way Bangladesh will chase that kind of total. I think we should only risk Shafiul because at least he takes wickets. He has 20 wickets this year all against top 8 teams 2nd only to Shakib and twice as many as 3rd place Rubel and Razzak. He's got the best strike rate of a Bangladeshi bowler for those that have bowled 50 overs. He can bat a bit too.

Shuvo would be more economical than Rubel and that will at least reduce the opposition's total and create more pressure so my 5 man bowling attack would be Mashrafe-Shakib-Shafiul-Razzak-Shuvo.

bujhee kom
July 13, 2010, 12:33 PM
Good plans by Rinat bhai and Tiger Manc bhai. I like these!

Tiger Manc
July 13, 2010, 12:46 PM
Thanks bujhee kom bhai!!

rinathq
July 13, 2010, 02:56 PM
In the subcontinent I would go with Suhrawadi Shuvo instead of Rubel. We have 3 experienced wickettakers who bowl very economically i.e. Mash, Raj and Shakib. We have a wickettaker who is expensive i.e. Shafiul so I'd take another bowler who is economical i.e. Shuvo.

We just can't afford to have both Shafiul and Rubel in the same team because then they will have a combined figures of 20 overs for 130 runs. That's far too expensive and there's no way Bangladesh will chase that kind of total. I think we should only risk Shafiul because at least he takes wickets. He has 20 wickets this year all against top 8 teams 2nd only to Shakib and twice as many as 3rd place Rubel and Razzak. He's got the best strike rate of a Bangladeshi bowler for those that have bowled 50 overs. He can bat a bit too.

Shuvo would be more economical than Rubel and that will at least reduce the opposition's total and create more pressure so my 5 man bowling attack would be Mashrafe-Shakib-Shafiul-Razzak-Shuvo.

Well here is the thing, Shuvo was given so many chances and he failed and showed no sign of imovement. Rubel, the thing with him is, he is fast. When he is brought in, he can trouble the batsmen for a while. This is the part when i miss Rafique the most. He would be the perfect option. He can slog and bowl.
But if u want an economical figure, why not Rasel?

Green Tea
July 13, 2010, 02:59 PM
http://www.rabbit.org/journal/2-2/attack.jpg
Our bowling attack is not perfect.

rinathq
July 13, 2010, 02:59 PM
this is a good plan and i like it
but u cant be siddons-like and preplan a bowling attack and stick to it, just like siddons seems to do with the bd batting lineup.
sometimes mash has to make changes according to situation. thats one of the captains main job.

well no, i just made the preplan because i saw those errors in the last few games. Razzaq and Shafi was always kept to bowl at the end. Both bowlers can't keep it low. On the otherhand Sakib runs out of overs before 40 overs and maybe 1 over left for PP. We have been horrible keeping it down on powerplays and last 10 overs.
Changes and adjustments will have to made. But generally speaking.....

rinathq
July 13, 2010, 03:00 PM
http://www.rabbit.org/journal/2-2/attack.jpg
Our bowling attack is not perfect.

No one said it is :)

al-Sagar
July 14, 2010, 02:59 AM
we should consider the inclusion of the Off spinners like Mahmudul hasan or Nasir Hossain in subcontinet.

mash, shafi, shakib, raj, Offie.

mahmudul and nasir are far better off spinners than the part timers Riyadh and Naeem. Plus they can be good No 8 batsmen to start their career. though both can be good at 5-7 in future.

About SUHRAWARDI SHUVO. he is a good bowler but should never play as the 3rd SLA in the team with raj and shakib. he should be the back up for raj and when raj is injured out of form may play instead of raj until the likes of shaker ahmed, saju dutta, saqlain sajib or nabil samad chowdhury knocks the door or mosharraf rubel makes a comback.

shakibrulz
July 14, 2010, 03:13 AM
IMO Open with Mash and Rubel. These two can grab a few early wickets, then bring Shafi as the first change bowler.

1-8 Mash and Rubel
9-16 Razzak and Rubel, depends upon the situation we are in.
17-26 - Part timers like Faisal, Riyadh, with Shafiul at the other end
27-34 - Shafiul, with Razzak
35 - 41 - Rubel and Shakib
41 - 50 - Shakib and Mash, 2 overs or so for Shafiul and Rubel combined in the PP overs

lamisa
July 14, 2010, 07:51 AM
how about playing rasel,he's economical?

beshideshi
July 14, 2010, 08:37 AM
Shafiul is actually the best slog over bowler we have, he did have a couple of bad overs now and then, but bowls quite well in the slog overs.
I would actually let Rubel open with Mash, Shafiul is a bit more defensive bowler and bowls better with an oldish ball.
otherwise, all the points raised here are fantastic.

Ananna
July 14, 2010, 09:11 AM
Shafiul is actually the best slog over bowler we have, he did have a couple of bad overs now and then, but bowls quite well in the slog overs.
I would actually let Rubel open with Mash, Shafiul is a bit more defensive bowler and bowls better with an oldish ball.

I would choose Mash, Shafiul/Ruble, Rasel, Sakib, Raj/Shuvo, an off spinner

simon
July 14, 2010, 09:36 AM

good ideas.
I also think Rubel should open with Mash.
With his good pace he might get a few early wckts.
But as some1 said our pace attack is not good engh.
We first of all need Shafi & Rubel to be consistent in bowling good line-length.This will make a huge change.

rinathq
July 14, 2010, 10:58 AM
I agree with the idea of Rubel starting with Mash. It will definitely make the staring strong and shake the opponent

lamisa
July 15, 2010, 03:04 AM
it's so rare that both rubel and shafiul click on the same day.having said that i think that shafiul is a bit more consistent than rubel

rinathq
July 20, 2010, 03:59 PM
now we actually lost against Netherlands and Ireland, its evident that Bangladesh needs to work with bowling a bit. Every single bowler bowled bad today. This was nothing but overconfidence and arrogance by the bowlers. Bangladesh needs to improve on bowling. We need a bowling coach speciagelly for pace. Mashrafee is improving but he isn't getting any back up from the other side. Nazmul was ok today but this wasn't good enough. We dunt have time to bring new bowlers, worldcup is at the door step and the tour against NZL is probably the last chance to make changes. for pace attack i would keep Mash, Shafi, Rasel, Rubel. I am not sure about Nazmul. For spin, well Sakib's there but if we wanna win it has to be spin. So we need a strike spinner. I dunt have a clue who that could be. All i know Razzaq is not playing upto it.