PDA

View Full Version : Bashar thinks selector easily satisfied

Isam
July 14, 2010, 02:38 PM
MOHAMMAD ISAM
Habibul Bashar believes that the satisfaction level of those in charge of Bangladesh cricket should be higher if they are to expect better results in the future.

"I think the level of satisfaction should go up," said the former national captain.

"People always talk about too much expectation, which I think is not a good thing but if there's no expectation, it does no good to the team. It is time we shed the habit of being happy when we are 'playing well'. You must have some belief if you are looking for the right results," said Bashar.

The Tigers have just finished a one-day series against England where they won the second game by five runs, ending their long wait of defeating England in one-day cricket.

"I am not saying the win [against England] was insignificant. It is a huge achievement to win against England in their home conditions," added Bashar.

Despite the win, the Tigers conceded the series meekly with a thumping 144-run defeat in the third and final one-dayer on Monday. Now that seven months are remaining for the World Cup, getting into a winning habit is vital particularly when the global event will be held at home.

But the series loss to England and the poor show in the Asia Cup last month did not dissuade chief selector Rafiqul Alam from saying on Tuesday that he was ''satisfied'' with the team.

"After two and a half years, we can easily say that this is now not only an improving side but also a good team. I am really satisfied with the way the team is shaping ahead of the World Cup," said Rafiqul.

Of course the Tigers' hard-fought win against England would have pleased everyone as it brought out a few positives including Mashrafe Bin Mortaza's return to form and the continuous good work by top-order batsmen Tamim Iqbal, Imrul Kayes and Junaed Siddiqui.

But as much as the left-handed trio improved in the last two years, the same can't be said about the middle and late order as well as the bowling attack. The likes of Shakib Al Hasan, Mohammad Ashraful and Mahmudullah Riyad are going through a dip in form.

Bashar, Bangladesh's most successful Test batsman, thinks a return to form for Shakib and Ashraful is the need of the hour.

"You cannot question [Mohammad] Ashraful's quality and I'm confident that Ash will make his comeback in the World Cup, but now he's badly out of form," said Bashar.

"I think he needs a break to do well in the coming months. That will make sure of his return to form as far as I'm concerned.

"Shakib must feel better now that the Mashrafe has the captaincy. I think it was too much pressure on him as I always felt that he was made captain too soon for his age. He can be the country's best captain, but only in the future," added Bashar who also felt that Mashrafe being injury-free is also very important for the Tigers' fortunes in the World Cup.

One can easily assume that the current squad of players, given their fitness, will make up the majority of the World Cup team come February. The continuous improvement of the top-order and the fleeting consistency of the bowling attack confirm personnel in that area.

Another reason for little change in the team make-up is the lesser number of matches from now till the World Cup. After they play four one-day matches against lesser-lights Ireland, Scotland and Netherlands, Bangladesh play three ODIs against New Zealand in September and a proposed tri-series against West Indies and Zimbabwe in December at home where they might play a maximum of six one-dayers. That is not enough time to try out any new bowling combinations or introduce someone like Shamsur Rahman in the middle-order.

At the same stage before the 2007 World Cup, the Tigers won 13 of the 16 matches played over six months. Though most of the wins came against Zimbabwe, the record made sure the Tigers went to West Indies with a winning habit among them.

The number of matches also made sure the team management could experiment with important positions and evidently, they came out with flying colours. Case in point: Mushfiqur Rahim.

The diminutive wicketkeeper-batsman was given a go in matches against Zimbabwe and Scotland and finding enough confidence from his work behind the stumps, the selectors decided to take a risk and pick him ahead of the more experienced Khaled Mashud. Mushfiqur eventually did well, scoring an important half-century during the win against India in Trinidad.

Some attached to the previous campaign think that the same winning habit can be made possible with the Tigers ahead of the 2011 event. In fact, it can be even better if they win against the likes of New Zealand or West Indies at home before the tournament begins.

But Bashar is skeptical about finding new players for the World Cup ahead.

"I see very little chance of that happening because in the past two years, player production hasn't been too good and backups are not in place. We have a few options but I still think this current team is good enough and talented enough to produce the goods in the World Cup," said Bashar.

http://www.thedailystar.net/newDesign/news-details.php?nid=146818

Nadim
July 14, 2010, 02:46 PM
Some gd point made by Bashar...although i can't be fully agree with everything he said.

BanCricFan
July 14, 2010, 02:52 PM
Bashar right on the money!

_Rafi_
July 14, 2010, 02:57 PM
Isam vai, Apnar Dizzy namer account ter ki holo.

bujhee kom
July 14, 2010, 02:58 PM
Very good interview/article by Mohammed Isam bhai! A warm welcome for Isam bhai to Banglacricket :big_hug:

I am beginning to like Bashar now after reading this guys, those things he said were very thougthful and right!

bujhee kom
July 14, 2010, 03:01 PM

Arrey Isam bhai aar Dizzy bhai eki loke naki? Ami tow aro na buijha suina sangbadik deikha welcome ditachi bhaisaabre...!!!

Salaam Dizzy bhai, kemon achen dada? Ki bepaar naam change korlen keno dada?

Isam
July 14, 2010, 03:50 PM

I think this one is better. Don't you think?

Isam
July 14, 2010, 03:51 PM
Very good interview/article by Mohammed Isam bhai! A warm welcome for Isam bhai to Banglacricket :big_hug:

I am beginning to like Bashar now after reading this guys, those things he said were very thougthful and right!

thank you...

Isam
July 14, 2010, 03:51 PM
Arrey Isam bhai aar Dizzy bhai eki loke naki? Ami tow aro na buijha suina sangbadik deikha welcome ditachi bhaisaabre...!!!

Salaam Dizzy bhai, kemon achen dada? Ki bepaar naam change korlen keno dada?

Korlam ar ki...etai bhalo....Dizzy amari account chilo...I guess this one is better.

alibangali
July 14, 2010, 04:16 PM
Good points by Bashar which strengthens many of us fans belief that we need to have more hunger and desire. We should only be satisfied by participating in competitive matches where we also win a healthy percentage. Being satisfied by a win in a blue moon, or few good individual performances should be a thing of the past. If we desire to be a successful cricket nation then we must improve our records in all format, invest in domestic infrastructure and encourage future generations to participate in this sport more. Importance again is put on BELIEF, without this nothing will improve.

Tigers_eye
July 14, 2010, 06:46 PM
Welcome back with a very nice article. Ask the moderators/admins. They can merge two accounts and you can keep your Isam name as well. The request has to come from you though.

HB toley toley bhaloi Dekha jaitesey.... WC'er poray hostile takeover dekhtey pari amra. Tobay kotha ja bolsey tha shobi shotto. Ami khali ekta kothatey ek mot na. He said, we can't ask Ash's quality. Why? He is an alien or something? This proves HB is also blind and don't think there is a better player in BD soil.

Naimul_Hd
July 14, 2010, 09:07 PM
Welcome back with a very nice article. Ask the moderators/admins. They can merge two accounts and you can keep your Isam name as well. The request has to come from you though.

HB toley toley bhaloi Dekha jaitesey.... WC'er poray hostile takeover dekhtey pari amra. Tobay kotha ja bolsey tha shobi shotto. Ami khali ekta kothatey ek mot na. He said, we can't ask Ash's quality. Why? He is an alien or something? This proves HB is also blind and don't think there is a better player in BD soil.

I dnt think Habibul is blind rather he answered in very diplomatic way !

lamisa
July 15, 2010, 02:52 AM
lol,i doubt he would have said that if he were the current captain!

Isam
July 15, 2010, 03:19 AM
lol,i doubt he would have said that if he were the current captain!

that is exactly why I talked to him..

Isam
July 15, 2010, 06:45 AM

hey man...who do i ask?

BANFAN
July 15, 2010, 07:59 AM
Bashar is eyeing for the post of selector? I think so.

Sohel
July 15, 2010, 08:58 AM
"Bahsar" and "Thinks" in the same sentence = :floor:

Baundule
July 15, 2010, 09:38 AM
Bashar was one of the most rigid (in the meaning of non-adapting, non-thinking) captains that Bangladesh has ever produced. He used to follow the static script presented to him By Dave 3 days before the match. He considered it as the Bible or Quran or something like any of those Holy books and followed them word by word no matter what the match situation was.

Even that Bashar knows that we need to aim higher! He just has become my preffered selector over that Siddonesque Roqibul.

Sohel
July 15, 2010, 09:50 AM
Bashar was one of the most rigid (in the meaning of non-adapting, non-thinking) captains that Bangladesh has ever produced. He used to follow the static script presented to him By Dave 3 days before the match. He considered it as the Bible or Quran or something like any of those Holy books and followed them word by word no matter what the match situation was.

Even that Bashar knows that we need to aim higher! He just has become my preffered selector over that Siddonesque Roqibul.

HaBa's just flaunting a bowlful of sour grapes because he was justifiably discarded. Magar this time his montobbo laigga gyachhe ... :lol:

Baundule
July 15, 2010, 09:56 AM
HaBa's just flaunting a bowlful of sour grapes because he was justifiably discarded. Magar this time his montobbo laigga gyachhe ... :lol:
or, now he has learnt what NOT to think. ;)

Sohel
July 15, 2010, 09:58 AM
or, now he has learnt what NOT to think. ;)

Good one bro ... :lol: