PDA

View Full Version : BD should take Batting powerplay at 11th over

al-Sagar
July 15, 2010, 08:37 AM
yes.

BD should take the batting power play at 11th over and thus 1st of all surprise the fielding captain. normally fielding captain takes the bowling PP at 11th over but BD should be proactive and tell the umpires that we will take batting power play before the fielding captain. then the fielding captain will be a bit confused and will be thinking when he take his bowling PP .....

the reason is we have our best batsman in the top and they can use it early and thus give team some extra runs rather than tailenders playing. and tailenders find it harder in PP more fielders are in and singles hard to find. so thats another problem letting tailenders play the PP.

and whats happened recently we got good or decent starts upto 35 overs. scored 140-160 losing 3-4 wickets. when we think we are in a good position to score 100-120 runs in the last 15. but what happens is..... as we have already decided PP will be taken at the end 45 batsmen in the middle somehow tries to save wickets and RR slows down from 36th over. pressure builds up and sets batsmen gets out in overs 35-45 waiting for PP to be taken at 46. we get only one batsmen left and as he is on pressure he gets out. and we end up scoring 70ish-80ish runs in the PP

so i believe we should take a BOLD MOVE by asking for Batting PP before the fielding captain can ask for the Bowling PP. that does not mean slog slog slog. we can still plan to get 40+ runs by playing good cricketing shot in gaps or over the top. rather than those 20ish runs that tailenders score in PP after 45th over.

there is also a theory that BD loses wicket at PP. well PP or NOT we still lose wickets. by delaying PP in fear of losing wickets we are not doing any good. so lets try something new.

well, i dont think our team management ever discuses about plans or strategies off the field. they never think of any thing new that can be implemented.

so in the end my thread is a pointless thread. may be some day aussies or SA will implement my plan and their coaches will get all the credit.

wasi90lkv1
July 15, 2010, 01:02 PM
i think it is a good idea.

if tamim can survive 10 overs, i think it is not a bad idea to take the batting powerplay from 11th over.

but if tamim gets out before the 11th over, i do not see any point of taking the powerplay at the 11th over. i do not want to see imrul wasting balls during the batting powerplay (assuming he will survive for over 10 overs).

nycpro96
July 15, 2010, 01:10 PM
I think 11th over is too early. We should take it after 30th over when two well set batsman are at the crease.

Imteaz
July 15, 2010, 11:16 PM
Good Decission. Captain won't have to do anything. Everything is pre defined for our team.

Which bowler will bowl in which over, when should we take powerplay. Nice!!!!!!

deshprem
July 15, 2010, 11:35 PM
anytime before 40th wud be nice. maybe with batsmen at the crease..not razzak.

rafiq
July 16, 2010, 12:26 PM
Bangladesh will need to play another 1000 ODI before they can have the balls to take a batting PP before the 45th over. I somehow doubt if any bangladesh captain has ever taken a batting PP before it was forced in the 45th over. Today's 2nd ODI against Ireland is a great example of how timid this team is. with 2 or 3 wickets down, Tamim/Jahurul on a big partnership, and now with Tamim/Shakib chasing less than 50 runs, they still won't take it. What a waste of time.

shakibrulz
July 16, 2010, 01:11 PM
11th over? whoa, whoa. That's as surprising as sending Shafiul to open with Tamim and getting Zahurul to bowl the death overs :D

But i agree, don't leave powerplay for Razzaq and Shafiul, take when batsmen are settled and ready to go for it. Like probably 38th over or something should do fine.

WarWolf
July 16, 2010, 01:24 PM
I don't like any pre-planned script for taking batting PP. It should depend on the match scenario. The new captain may miss it due to pressure during the live match. So vice-captain should be given another responsibility to bring it to focus of the captain.

auntu
July 16, 2010, 01:41 PM
^^^ WHo is VC? Mushy?
He should think more then.

shakibrulz
July 16, 2010, 02:01 PM
^^^ WHo is VC? Mushy?
He should think more then.

Moyna /:)

rafiq
July 16, 2010, 03:24 PM
I don't like any pre-planned script for taking batting PP. It should depend on the match scenario. The new captain may miss it due to pressure during the live match. So vice-captain should be given another responsibility to bring it to focus of the captain.

Hello, pressure during a live match? Are you kidding? What exactly is a professional sportsperson's responsibility other than being able to do their job? Miss it once or twice may be OK. But miss it for every single match? Do they miss the part of their brain that is also gone missing?

Beamer
July 17, 2010, 03:43 PM
Good thought out read there off stump. Good thread.

One possible answer as to why we take the PP on the 45th every match has everything to do with available players who simply can't play with a close in field. Tamim is the only exception up top and we are fine with initial PP's. RR is not an issue there either. As you have said, we score 130-140 by 30th, and that platform is enough to double that score in the remaining 20 overs. But, we don't. If we take the PP around 30th or in the middle overs, the fear is we woulld lose a bunch of wkts, and lasting 50 overs might be in doubt. Hence, the safe approach of waiting till the 45th and see what the tailenders can get with one established batsman. We do not have batsman with some class and power below no.5. Sakib was also out of sorts. So, he wasn't helping the cause either, as he can accelerate and hit boundaries with a close infield. Instead, we have Mushy and Riyad at no.6 -7, two good batsmen, but total misfit in style for that specific job. We are asking them to do what they aren't capable of. Riyad at no.7 is waste in ODI's. Either he bats at no.4 ( which will be hard to do ), or he should just sit. Mushy can be bumped up to 5 and drop Sakib to 6 as a temporary measure. However, no.7 is so important if we are going to take PP's only at 45 th over. Mash has some power, but he is a slogger. I am looking for a 'batsman' that has some class to go with some power. Now, the follow up question is, who are they? From whats avialble, Naeem is one option. But, he is not there. Ash could be one, but he is goner too. Ditto Aftab. Those three have quick scoring potential with a close field, so we don't become stagnant after good 30 overs of runs earned. I think we can cross out Ash and Aftab. Naeem is one option. Faisal Hossain, the old new comer can accelerate, and we have to give him a few more opportunities. So, 5, 6, 7 should be - Mushy, Sakib, Faisal. If one player that I can suggest who has those skills to play at no.7, in case
Faisal doesn't work out is the much dreaded Alok. A touch of class, with some power to hit, who is not a slogger, unless somebody new comes up and takes the spot. But, yes, your concern is legit. In conclusion, we wait till last, because we are afraid to lose wkts as we don't have players who are good PP batsman, except Tamim at top, Sakib when in form, but other than that- cupboard is bare.

Beamer
July 17, 2010, 03:46 PM
^^ That is also why we stink in 20/20's. No power.

Tigers_eye
July 17, 2010, 03:54 PM
42/43rd if wickets in hand. else match situation should dictate. I'd have no problem with 11th over PP if we are doing fine 1 or no wickets down with both batsmen faced enough balls of all the bowlers.

Miraz
July 17, 2010, 04:09 PM
Our team managment probably thinks we are not good enough to take batting power play. And this is why we never take batting powerplay, umpires and opposition enforce it on us.

Beamer
July 17, 2010, 04:43 PM
Our team managment probably thinks we are not good enough to take batting power play. And this is why we never take batting powerplay, umpires and opposition enforce it on us.

I am gonna have to agree with you on this ! The scripted 45th over PP is nothing but from the fear of losing too many wkts if we take it early. Team management doesn't think we have players who can 'play' PP's. I would agree with that. But, its up to them to take players who 'can'. If we have those individuals, then we can become flexible and promote them or demote them when we do take the PP, and take it when we want it, and not always at the prediactable 45th. Mushy and Riyad , right now, are expected to up the tempo after 45th, which is a lost cause. I was never a fan of Siddons and his ODI approach and lack of flexibility. Whatmore at least was more flexible with his order, sometimes may be too much, but at least he had the intent.

beshideshi
July 17, 2010, 08:38 PM
I am not sure about this, but I think the bowling side gets to pick the first powerplay. So, if the bowling side picks the 11-15 over slot the earliest we can go is 15-20. Which would still be a decent enough move.
But I may be wrong, batting side may get preference to pick the powerplay. In that case, taking the powerplay in the 11-15 over makes perfect sense to me.

al-Sagar
July 17, 2010, 08:50 PM
^^ That is also why we stink in 20/20's. No power.

we lack power players like ...... Pathan, razzaq, bopara, watson, white, pollard, oram .......

the same ball bd can just chip to long off with a good hit, they can clear the ropes by yards.

we seriously lack these kinda players. the powerplayers we have in domestic that someone mention like dollar, ziaur or nazmul millon are way below par. dollar and zia are just sloggers. they may get obe 20 ball 35 once in 10 game. nazmul millon is not sure what he is. started as bowler but now plays more as a batsman he might be just 20% more effective than zia/dollar.

but they wont be players who can survive the whole PP and then score 70+ in 40-50 balls regularly near the end.

but the lack of power players should not scapegoat. with proper planning even the current bunch can can do well. just need time the PP well and look for over the top shots and gap shots .... they need to do some planning and may do well

SS
July 17, 2010, 09:00 PM
If our players can't play PP...why they are not trained or working hard to learn it...all they do mostly play cricket full time...why can't they learn to play it well....without hard work there is no success...
bd management and coach should atleast train appropriate ppl so that they can take the full use of PP when it is right time based on situation

Beamer
July 18, 2010, 10:34 AM
They should work harder to at least be more efficient during PP's. That begins with running between the wkts. If you can't hit at least more than one boundary during the PP's, then you must adapt to playing with softer hands, working the gaps, and run hard between the wkts with clear undertsanding between the two batsmen at the crease. Not all players have power to clear the infield consistently, so learning to adapt is crucial.

I have imagined one scenario for one time use! Its the final game between BD vs Aus in WC '11. Tamim gang bang the Aussie bowlers. We race to 140 for 4 by 30th, with Tamim NOT OUT 80 +. Then, he fakes an injury and RETIRE HURT. We bring him back 44th-45th over, when we are taking our customary PP. Rest will be history. If you are not cheating a little bit, as they say, you are not working hard enough!

Ajfar
July 18, 2010, 10:54 AM
I think what's more important is who are the batsman's batting during the power play. I have no problem with us taking the batting power play from the 45th over if the batsman's are tamim and shakib. Or any one else who is capable of putting up some runs during those 5 overs. we are suppose to use it to our advantage. and unless you have your best batsman out there are not going to get the best out of it.

M.H.Rubel
July 18, 2010, 12:13 PM

Team management were asked regarding taking the batting power play.They said that tier observation is during power play 2 or 3 wickets always falls so they dont like to take the power play early.
Now my point is batting power play is hitting the ball over the top or bisecting the fielders.Now what i have always seen Riyad plays in batting power play. He never likes to play over the top.So IMO batting order readjustment can help up a lot.If we can send Shakib,Ash,Mash or ever Jahurul in this period we can have less chance of fall of wicket.So batting order shuffling according to situation is necessary.
<br />Posted via BC Mobile Edition

Imtiazk
July 18, 2010, 01:23 PM
I do not think any such decision should be pre-ordained. However, two points should be borne in mind:

1. Batting powerplay should be taken when you have set batsmen in the wicket. Please note, I used the word batsmen and not hitters. No one can take advantage of only 3 deep fieldsmen other than batsmen.

2. It does help , if you have wickets in hand. In Nottingham and Bristol, we lost valuable opportunities. At Nottingham, I seem to recall we were 189/3 with Rakib and Sakib quite settled in. At Bristol, we were 140/2 at 29 overs.

The 46-50th over , in fact, should never be the powerplay overs. At worst, I would say the 43rd over. After all, the last 3 overs is psychologically like a powerplay situation. The only exception I can see is if we are already 8 down in the 42nd over. Then, we might as well wait for the 46th as very little advantage can be gained from it.

Ananna
July 18, 2010, 07:49 PM
It really should depend on the situation of that particular game. But for our brainless think tank including taklu siddons, it is pre-determined. Batting PP has to be overs 46 thru 50, no matter what the game situation is. I really cant understand their thinking regarding this. So frurstrating. We need to take advantage of this PP in order to win games.

yaseer
July 18, 2010, 09:16 PM
normally fielding captain takes the bowling PP at 11th over but BD should be proactive and tell the umpires that we will take batting power play before the fielding captain

Why? If the fielding captain is taking the PP anyway, then why giving away our options? We are getting our 11-15 over PP anyway.

It will not confuse the fielding captain, rather it will make his life easy. As fielding captain need not to guess and preserve his PP bowlers quota for the batting PP, it will put the control on fielding captain's hand. Also we are playing cards to fielding captain's hand by taking PP as he also wants to take the PP.

If fielding captain does not take the PP at 11th over and Tamim is in the crease or we are in a good position, then we can take the PP at 11th over.

We should not predefine what to do, rather it is required to read the match situation and act accordingly.

Again, if the fielding captain is taking the bowling PP at 11th over but still we wanting to take the batting PP and giving our options away is making no sense to me.

Nadim
October 5, 2010, 02:49 AM
Sorry for bumping up this thread but i have a Q.

Who actually decides to take the batting PP? Coach? Captain? players in the middle? loitta?

The thinks make me a sad panda is that more than 60% of the time we either take batting PP 45-50 overs or bowled out be4 even taking it.

Isn't JS or the Captain aware of the PP? are they not watching any ODI matches in their spare time?

Purbasha T
October 5, 2010, 01:08 PM
Nadim, I think the team is afraid of losing wickets quickly on their way for quick run search. So they take the safer route by taking it right at the end. Once they manage some confidence from some big chunk of runs in couple of matches, they'll feel more comfortabe in taking it earlier.