PDA

View Full Version : The fast bowling problem

rahat90
July 21, 2010, 10:03 PM
After watching Pakistan dominate the first day's play and shooting Australia out for 88, I have decided to open this thread.
We've heard numerous discussions on why bd can't produce the pacers, and what must be done to produce good pacers. But yet there has been no definitive answer(s) to this problem. Some say that we need to produce bouncy pitches, others say that this is impossible in bd climate etc. Some say that our players don't have the build/lifestyle for fast bowling, others say look at Pakistan?
Yes, look at our neighbours Pakistan. Year in year out they produce quality fast bowlers. They previously had a lineup of Wasim Akram, Waqar Younis and Shaoib Akthar/Aqib Javed. 10 years on they have a brilliant trio in Mohammed Asif, Amir and Umar Gul.
So can the bouncy pitches argument be used here? If pak can produce the pitches in similar climates then why can't we? How different is Amir's physical build than Shahadat Hossain Rajib?
Why can't bd produce pacers like pakistan?
Some people say that even India can't produce quality fast bowlers. Even though it hurts me to say this, I would have to speak my opinion: bowlers like Zaheer khan, Ishant sharma (who?), even backup bowlers like Dinda are better than our pacers.
Why can't we produce the goods? And what needs to be done, that is not already been done?
Was the pacer hunt a success or failure? And after 10 years in test cricket, why haven't we been able to produce atleast ONE bowler who constantly bowls at 90mph?
Shafiul, Rubel, and Mashrafe are good, I like them. But I wouldn't call any of them world class, and every G8 team has atleast one world class fast bowler. Apart from these three, we do not have any quality backup pacers, and I don't think Rajib is good enough (although selectors and some people here might think different).
Fast bowling is they key to winning test matches. Until we produce some quality, our next test win may be far far away...

simon
July 22, 2010, 10:35 AM
I think Mash is almost a world class,don't forget abt all those injuries & surgeries he had.
He could hv been a lot better.We had three wins against big teams in which Mash was the MoM.
Anyway,as NAsser Hussein said we r not as big & strong as the Pak bowlers.
But still with good guidance & practice,if we can get players like Shafi & Rubel (who r quicker than Asif,Zaheer & may hv the potentiel to be quicker than Gul) to the right track we can also become a strong bowling side with Mash & Sakib leading from the front.

czone
July 22, 2010, 11:14 AM
It is the physique and the attitude that are two of the very important aspect of a good fast bowler. Both these attributes are needed. Rajib and Mashrafee has both but unfortunately the later has been plagued with injuries and as for Rajib, only god knows why he couldn't increase his pace along w/ L&L over the years. Strength is a necessity along with skill, determination etc. in any game except chess, carrom and others. Because of lack of physical strength and stamina our bowlers cannot perform consistently throughout the whole match, which is also the reason of us not being able to do well in power hitting at the end of an innings specially the batting PP.

TorFTW
July 22, 2010, 01:03 PM
The main problem is the stamina... these guys don't have enough stamina to be professional athletes. Batsmen gets tired after making couple of runs between the wickets. Bowlers gets tired after couple of overs, even the spinners gets tired... I am sure they dont do enough Cardio exercise, and i doubt if they run at all in practice, maybe not enough. Only way to increase stamina is run run and run... at least 5 miles per day.

BCBLFC
July 22, 2010, 01:09 PM
I think it's a really good point you raise. I was just having this conversation with my brother yesterday. It is a serious issue and the powers that be in Bangladesh must look into it. In a country with so many poeple with such a love of cricket there must be some kids/youths that are promising fast bowlers who have the potential to bowl 90mph. Unfortunately the other problem is that some of the bowlers don;t seem to use their heads as others from other countries do for example. For isntance, if you don;t have pace you should bowl line and length ala Mcgrath and Asif and Pollock, however our bowlers for exmaple Shahadat always seems ot bowl one bad ball per over. It comes down to the ididivudal player but also to the coach to an extent to ensure that bowlers bowl to their capabilities and respect their limitations. Shahadat used to bowl at good pace however after he remodelled his action he seems to only bowl at around 80mph - however if he concentrates on line and length like Mashrafe has been doing he could be very good. I think our best prospect at the moment is Shafiul as he bowls a good line and length and can bowl at decent pace. With experience and fitness work, he could become a very good bowler.

bujhee kom
July 22, 2010, 01:48 PM
The main problem is the stamina... these guys don't have enough stamina to be professional athletes. Batsmen gets tired after making couple of runs between the wickets. Bowlers gets tired after couple of overs, even the spinners gets tired... I am sure they dont do enough Cardio exercise, and i doubt if they run at all in practice, maybe not enough. Only way to increase stamina is run run and run... at least 5 miles per day.

Very good post! I agree with evrything you said bro! Welcome ot BC bro!

revolver
July 22, 2010, 02:30 PM
yhhh i think our bowlers need to get their stamina up. i am also suprised how in a densly poppulated countries we are not able to product a pacer who can bowl at 90mph.
<br />Posted via BC Mobile Edition (1)

MohammedC
July 22, 2010, 02:34 PM
Sorry for the double post. Look what Zimbabwean are doing they are hiring world class coach/ex-players for their FC sides. And we are struggling to find one for our international side.

Gillespie to coach MidWest Rhinos (http://www.cricinfo.com/zimbabwe/content/current/story/468459.html)

TorFTW
July 22, 2010, 04:06 PM
Very good post! I agree with evrything you said bro! Welcome ot BC bro!

hahaha Its me rashed411.. my main account got banned for a month, cuz i got pissed after Netherlands game and said some stuff. :(

simon
July 22, 2010, 06:37 PM
hahaha Its me rashed411.. my main account got banned for a month, cuz i got pissed after Netherlands game and said some stuff. :(

:floor: wc back Rashed bhai.:lol:

rahat90
July 22, 2010, 08:50 PM

lol..
what did u say, if u dont mind me asking?
not that i want u to repeat it again, dont, cos you might probs get banned again haha

TorFTW
July 22, 2010, 09:27 PM
lol..
what did u say, if u dont mind me asking?
not that i want u to repeat it again, dont, cos you might probs get banned again haha

i called the player names.. and other bad stuff. :-p

22Yards
July 22, 2010, 09:46 PM
I kind of feel like nobody wants to be a bowler in Bangladesh. It seems all the limelight follows the batsman. I might be way off on this because i have very little idea about the domestic clubs and all. Because look at past two years, how many new batsmen came into our lineup and compare that with the number of bowlers who made to the national team.

mij
July 23, 2010, 05:29 AM
We talking about Fast bowling problem, what about our spin problem, other G8 countrys spinners better than our spinners.

revolver
July 23, 2010, 05:41 AM
We talking about Fast bowling problem, what about our spin problem, other G8 countrys spinners better than our spinners.

we have sakib :big_hug:. lol

mij
July 23, 2010, 05:51 AM
we have sakib :big_hug:. lol
Sometimes he can't even take a wicket just like now with Worcestershire.

MohammedC
July 23, 2010, 07:23 AM
According today's ittefaq. BCB have received 7/8 application for bowling and fielding coach.
<br />Posted via BC Mobile Edition (iPhone)

lamisa
July 23, 2010, 10:29 AM
^^^^y couldn't we get gillispie before some club from zim got him?and what happened about jonty rhodes?

rinathq
July 23, 2010, 11:20 AM
well, Bangladesh has always been weak in terms of seam attack. They tried pacer hunt and everything, they even got some good fast bowlers, but couldnt train them proparly. The truth is we never had a good seam coach.

roman
July 23, 2010, 11:45 AM
I wish BCB can bring Wasim Akram as our bowling coach

MohammedC
July 23, 2010, 01:03 PM
I wish BCB can bring Wasim Akram as our bowling coach

I dont think Wasim Akram wants a full time job. If you look at his career since retiring from cricket all he does is bits and pieces. If he wanted he could get a good position in Pakistan's Cricket's Coaching but i doubt he does. He took the job at KKR because its a short term job 6/8 weeks in a year.

We need some one who wants it full time.

skhondoker
July 23, 2010, 01:43 PM
Sometimes he can't even take a wicket just like now with Worcestershire.

Are you kidding me...he took 3 wickets with the highest number of overs bowled with the lowest econ rate....

habfreak
July 23, 2010, 02:35 PM
The problem is in the attitude as my sig. suggests ;)

The attitude of the management and captain: not knowing how to handle fast bowlers. They need to be developed and managed in a certain way because ego and pride is a big factor when it comes fast bowling success. It's hard to be aggressive when you know the next bad over will end your spell and you will be replaced by a SLA in the next over, probably in the the next game as well.

The Attitude of the player himself: As a fast bowler, you have to understand your role in the team. test, oneday, T20 or T5...a fast bowlers mindset has to be to take wickets; and to take wickets you have to be aggressive, which may result in being more expensive. Yes we have seen rarities like Ambrose, Mcgrath etc who could choke the batsmen as well as any spinner...but like I said...that's a rarity. The trick for success in fast bowling is not to hang your head when you give away runs and keeping that aggressive mindset. Bangladeshi quickies...including my boy Rajib seem to forget what they are capable of as soon as they hit a dry spell. Again it has a lot to do with the management/captain's lack of faith in him...but I don't think it's a coincidence or all management's fault that there's no middle ground for players like Rajib...when he's good he takes 4/5 wickets and is virtually unplayable...and then he disappears for 4/5 months.